the Rift

[PRIVATE] clean up, clean up, everybody do your share [clearing]

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah
“Come on, my little star. Let’s go find a different place to clean up.” Mesec beckoned in a soft voice to Vesper, Lyra already trying to tug on the silver girl’s tail and encourage her to follow. The crowd was dispersing around them and many seemed to be heading to the beach or the part of this land that bordered where the marshes once stood. But Mesec had a different spot in mind - the little part of the Veins of the Gods that touched the borders of the marshes.

Vesper had seemed a little worried when Kisamoa had been speaking to them and he thought he might be able to distract her with some carefully selected stories about his mother and uncles.

It wasn’t far to travel and Lyra kept darting between them, yipping the entire time and earning more than a few reproachful calls from Lucius who kept an eye out for Everly as he flew overhead. The zephyr was by far unimpressed with the newest addition to their little family - but kept his thoughts to himself mostly. Mesec still wasn’t entirely sure what to think either - but he couldn’t help but smile when he saw the mischievous glint in those purple eyes or the adoring way Lyra looked at Vesper.

But not even the presence of a new companion could fill the gap that was left by Virga, waiting for his quiet and dear son to return to their family.

He knew when they arrived when the sound of ocean was nearby to the south and a stretch of diseased and dead plant life stretched out before them in what was once some marshes. There were a few other collections of horses here working away but Mesec found a spot where he and his daughter could be off on their own. “So, where do you think we should start?” He asked with a warm smile as he looked to her.

wherever you may go ___________
_______
no matter where you are

I never will be far away, _____
______________you'll always be a part of me

image credits

Mesec's not in warg form but threads with Vesper demand cute family picture
for @Vesper <3
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

Vesper Posts: 46
World's Edge Filly
Filly :: Tribrid :: 14.3hh :: Two
Everly :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Kiki

V E S P E R
"Because even the stars they burn, some even fall to the earth"

I simply nodded when Papa spoke to me and followed quickly in his footsteps, still reeling from the very idea that we were to be collecting dead things.  This was unlike anything I’d ever been asked to do, and more than that the very idea sent a trickle of fear down my spine. I tried to smile at Lyra’s antics, knowing that she was trying to cheer me up, but I knew my effort was feeble at best.  Everly was concerned too, and came to ride on my withers once we cleared the majority of the group - distressed at the mood that had clouded my mind.  

When we finally stopped walking, I wasn’t entirely sure where we were.  I hadn’t been paying much attention to where we were, to be honest.  I stared, blankly, out over the diseased-looking lands.  I reached out a cloven hoof to brush aside a withered fern, only to recoil when the plant revealed a broken piece of bone beneath. 

“Papa,” I started, finally speaking though I didn’t meet his gaze.  Instead my silver gaze drifted back out over the long-dead lands, littered with bones and other dead things.  I shivered, involuntarily.  Something about this place, this task shook me to my insides. It wasn’t even that I didn’t want to collect bones for Kisamoa, but I didn’t think I even could. A ragged sigh escaped my lips as another shudder tore through me.  I pulled my wings tightly to my sides, trying to hold myself together physically if my mind was going to pieces.  So I tried again.   “Papa do we have to collect bones for Kisamoa?” I asked, finally looking up at him.  I’m sure that he could see the emotion in my eyes - it was written all over my face, really - the hesitation, the uncertainty, the fear that this task had inspired.  All foreign to me. 

And it was unsettling. 

I wanted to make sure that he understood, but at the same time I just didn’t have the words to make him understand everything that was going on in my head. “I’m scared, Papa. And I don’t want to go in there. I don’t want to dig up bones. I just don’t think I can do it.”  The words are quiet, but unwavering. It’s clear that this isn’t something I’ll be convinced of.  I let out another ragged breath before I closed my eyes and pressed my head against his shoulder.  It was something I used to do with Mama when I was very young - just stand next to her and listen to her heart beat and the sounds of air filling her lungs.  But now there was no Mama.  No Virga.  It was only me and Papa now.  

Maybe that’s why I was so afraid to go in the dead land, because I was secretly afraid that maybe I’d find someone I loved in there buried among the bones.  But deep down I don’t think that was it.  I wish I could explain what it was, but it just felt wrong and it made my insides burn just to think about. 

image by oddmountain

@Mesec

Please tag Vesper in every post.
Force and magic are permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.

image credit

Lyra noticed first that something was upsetting Vesper, but she had not yet learned to speak and her insistent yipping sounded much to same to Mesec and Lucius as it had a moment ago. They were still learning about each other, still getting accustomed to this strange bond, and the flood of emotions from her only confused them still. It wasn’t until Mesec watched Vesper recoil from the withered fern, when he heard the tone of her voice, that he caught on. Lyra, annoyed that her bonded was so blind, quickly moved to bury the small fracture of bone that Vesper had revealed - returning it back to the earth - then sat so that she was physically between the girl and the diseased land.

Mesec’s attention was full on Vesper now - his expression dark with worry when their eyes met and he saw the fear in her eyes. She tried to explain, though she didn’t need to. That look was enough for him to want to whisk her away and go anywhere else.

When she pressed her head against his shoulder, he lowered his muzzle and brushed it in her mane. She was getting so big now but she was still so young. The force of his desire to protect her from the things she feared was overwhelming, his love for his children strong and intense and eclipsing everything else. There was no debate at all when he was faced with the choice of making her upset or doing everything he possibly could to make her feel better. “No, no we don’t have to do it. We won’t go in there at all.” It no longer mattered what Kisamoa had asked them to do, his daughter was frightened and everything else would take a back burner. There were enough Helovians scattered around the border doing the sea-god’s bidding. And, now that Mesec thought about it, he didn’t understand what the gathering of bones had to do with restoring the land anyway. They should leave those who had fallen in the marshes there.

Without looking at the border of the marshes again, he let a smile lighten up his silver eyes once again as he offered her a way for them to get away. “Tell you what, how about we go see the shrines of the gods instead? They’re just south of here, where the blue lava is. You’ve seen my mother now, but I’ll tell you all about the others.” He didn’t move just yet though - he watched her carefully, hoping that this suggestion would be what she needed from him. That he would do something right as a father.  

_______
no matter where you are

image credits

@Vesper <3

World's Edge Filly

V E S P E R

I watched, without really seeing as Lyra leapt to action and buried the exposed fragment of bone.  My mind was absolutely racing but totally paralyzed at the same time.  As a result I just felt sort of stuck, overwhelmed with a feeling of dread and apprehension that I couldn’t even explain.  Deep down I was happy that someone understood, even if it was just a baby fox.  But my current state kept me from reaching out and brushing my nose against the little fox like I wanted.  Everly let out a mournful chirp in distress, unable to comprehend the overwhelming emotions, but unable to take the moment to look to Lucius for guidance in the moment. 

Time seemed to slow as I stared out upon the decay.  But finally Papa’s voice called me back. I released the breath I hadn’t even realized I was holding all in one big huff.  The fresh air that refilled my lungs seemed to unlock my frozen muscles.  Slowly I raised my eyes to look up at Papa - eyes incapable of masking anything. Deception was one thing that I had no skill in - I hadn’t had a reason to learn such a thing.  So every emotion I felt - relief, gratitude, lingering hesitation, love - shone brightly in endless pools of silver. I smiled, well as much as I felt like I could smile at the moment.  It was a pitiful effort, but I was still constructing the words.   “Thank you,” I whisper, leaning more of my weight into Papa’s warm, comforting side.  

My interest grows as he describes the shrines that exist in the healthy part of this land, the part that isn’t so foreboding. The idea of learning about the other Gods piques my interest and helps some of the fear melt away. ”Oh yes. I’d like that!” I say, eagerly, my excitement growing.  Maybe grandmama or one of the other Gods will know something of Virga, and of course it will be important to learn about them so I can find him one day.  I take a few steps in the direction that Papa indicated, finally feeling comfortable enough to leave his side before I freeze in my steps. 

“Do you think he’ll be mad, Papa? If we don’t bring him any bones?”  I still couldn’t shake that underlying fear of this God that wanted the bones of the fallen, even if his intentions seemed outwardly pure. 

image by oddmountain

@Mesec

Force and magic are permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.

image credit

Vesper turning to him, the look in her eyes when they met Mesec’s, was brighter than any sunshine he had ever known. He felt as though he could exist purely on that look from now until the end of his days - the purity of the shine that existed within them. His daughter, his beautiful sweet daughter, had broken out of her trance and returned to him. He squeezed his wing tighter against her as she whispered her thanks.

What wouldn’t he do to see a smile return to her face?

Lyra was also satisfied with the change of subject and the change it brought out in the filly, though she remained where she was - hiding and guarding the bones and bad feelings - until she was certain that they were on their way in the other direction. Mesec took the lead with Lucius still circling overhead, keeping a watchful eye on the area, travelling further south on the pathways through the blue lava towards the shrines.

But before they could move on, Vesper had one more question - a question that troubled Mesec also. “No, I don’t think he will be.” Up to this point, Kisamoa had seemed completely reasonable - on the beach Mesec had heard he had allowed some to stay on the beach instead of forcing everyone to dive beneath the waves with him. Everything was voluntary. “And if he is angry, that’s not our fault. It’s a strange task to ask of everyone - he must realize that it would cause discomfort.” Mesec trailed off, troublesome thoughts clouding his mind. He wanted to protect Vesper, of course, but he would not lie to her. “To be honest with you Vesper, I don’t see why the Earth God would want the bones.” But then that just raised more questions - why did Kisamoa want them? Or was Mesec letting his assumptions about the gods blind him?

Maybe if they were near the shrines, one of the gods would appear and they could ask if Kisamoa really was all he seemed to be.

_______
no matter where you are

image credits

World's Edge Filly

V E S P E R

I trusted Papa implicitly, so when I looked to him for an answer about Kisamoa, the hesitation that had been lingering had all but evaporated. I may not trust the Sea-God’s intentions, but I certainly trusted Papa.  And as Papa explained why he thought that even though we hadn’t completed his task, Kisamoa wouldn’t be angry I held on to every word.  And I was inclined to believe Papa because, up to this point, Kisamoa had been nothing but kind and reasonable when he stood in front of everyone - including Grandmama. However, that still did little to shake off my hesitations about this task.  I just couldn’t. “Yes. You’re right,” I said with a nod, feeling my confidence slowly returning with each step further from the decay and closer to the Gods.

But it’s Papa’s next statement that catches my attention and lodges in my mind. My ears snap forward and I whirl around to face him - eyes wide with excitement. “Maybe we can ask the Earth God!” I trill, my excitement restored.  It only made sense - if Kisamoa claimed that the Earth God had sent him to do this task...that they should check with the Earth God himself!  Of course I had no idea that the Gods didn’t always appear to those who came to their shrines. At least not yet.  But the prospect of having someone to ask - some way to verify Kisamoa’s intent breathed new life into me. 

Inwardly, selfishly, I hoped the Gods could answer more of my questions too not just those I had about Kisamoa. Maybe the Gods could help Papa and me find Mama and Virga.  However I knew better than to expect that of them.  However it didn’t stop me from hoping.  That hope moved my legs more quickly, made my heart beat more quickly, and made me even more eager to leave this place behind and find the shrines of Helovia’s four patrons. 

image by oddmountain

@Mesec

image credit

Vesper, as always, never seemed to have a darkened mood for very long. She perked up immensely when Mesec mentioned the Earth God and he couldn’t help but laugh at her trill, suggesting that they go ask the very god in question and see what he had to say. “Yes, we can!” He agreed enthusiastically, unwilling to break her excitement by explaining just yet that the Earth God may not even appear to answer their questions.

But they could certainly go to his shrine and ask - there would be no harm in that action at all. So Mesec continued to lead the way south until they arrived at the shrines. They were not glorious things any longer - blackened and desolate - and Mesec found himself wishing that they were something more that he could share with Vesper.

Still, he hoped with her optimism she wouldn’t mind the disrepair at all. He paused where they could get a good look at all four of them (well, three and a half) and glanced down at his daughter with a smile. “Can you guess which shrine is which?” Mesec had told his children a few stories about the gods already - enough that he thought that they would know the difference between all of them. Vesper had already seen the Moon Goddess but (to Mesec’s knowledge) had not yet been exposed to the others.

_______
no matter where you are

image credits

@Vesper

World's Edge Filly

V E S P E R

The walk wasn’t far, but with each step I felt my energy returning as opposed to draining away. I felt lighter now that I felt like there was a place here in Helovia where I could find some clarity even though this whole situation had done nothing but cloud my mind. I had never had much appreciation for the Gods before today. Well, I did for grandmama, of course, but I hadn’t given much thought to the other Gods. Clearly I needed to pay all of them more attention. I knew that there were seers back in the Edge who’s job was to take care of everything pertaining to the Gods. I made a note to seek them out as soon as we’d finished, or not finished, this task.

I followed Papa, wondering when we would come across the shrines to the Gods. I was expecting something large and extravagant dedicated to each of them - clearly marked structures with tributes. I had only had a few minutes to craft what I thought they looked like in my mind, but my imagination had been busy. What we found was not at all what I expected. There was no extravagance. No offerings. No towering structures reaching up towards the heavens. If anything, the shrines looked like they needed tending for if I hadn’t known what they were, I may have walked right past them. They were black and almost appeared in disrepair - nothing like how I imagined a shrine to a God to look. I had half a mind to try to clean them, repair them, decorate them. However that was not why we were here today.

At Papa’s question I stepped closer to the shrines, stepping forward hesitantly. I glanced back at him, uncertainly, before examining the shrines more closely. “I think this one is you mother’s,” I said, confidently, gesturing to the crumbling stones marked with symbols of wind I recalled from home. I stepped over to a neighboring shrine, covered in coals and ash, and said simply “Sun,” again confident in my choice. That left two - Earth and Time. One of the shrines was split in two and on the other a strange, glowing flowers grew among the stone. ”Well, the one with flowers must be the Earth’s, so Time’s must be split in half.” I finished, looking to Papa for confirmation.

I then stepped back to Papa’s side, again seeking his comfort. “How would we ask the Earth God about Kisamoa? Does he know we’re here? And what happened to the shrines? They look like they’ve been...ruined.”

image by oddmountain

@Mesec

image credit