the Rift

Just When I Thought It Was Over...

Nitika Posts: 17
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 4 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Lizzy
Despite the hour of the day (whatever hour it was), a thin layer of fog still hung in the trees, an ominous feeling present in the woods. It was eerie, almost as if the trees themselves could detect trouble within their boundaries.

If trees could move, and see, they would. A white blur raced through the fog as fast as it's legs could carry it, the creature appearing to be nothing more than a streak as its color helped it blend in with the fog. Said creature had been running for some time now, its body lathered in sweat as it continued to push itself.

The frantic pace continued for a while before the creature felt it was safe enough to finally slow down. Coming to a stop, the creature looked around warily, its blue eyes scanning the forest for any signs of trouble it perceived to be following it. When nothing appeared, a heavy sigh escaped the creature's lungs, its rapid breathing taking over to replenish the oxygen it had lost on that run.

A dim ray of sunlight cut through the thickness of the trees, illuminating the darkness of the forest for a moment. The creature, like most of the others around here but who it had yet to see, was a horse, colored of the purest white with offset brown markings on its ears, chest, flank, and barrel. Her body was lathered in a thick layer of sweat, her chest heaving with each breath she took. Her blue eyes were wild with fright, her nostrils flared, ears pinned as she tried to regain a hold of her composure.

The mare couldn't exactly explain why she had reacted the way she did at the edge of the forest when she'd first awoken. All she could remember before she started running was waking up among the trees, her head sore and her body covered in small cuts and bruises. None were a threat to a creature of her stature, but the small red cuts marred the otherwise bright colored fur she had.

A branch snapped behind her, and the mare wheeled around, facing the trees, rearing up on her hind legs. Her nerves were tense as she waited for something to appear, but when nothing did, she allowed her body to relax again. While she still remained alert, on edge even, the threat, for now, had passed, so she would rest and let her body regain its strength.

Spotting a small pond of water, which she saw led to a lake once she rounded a row of bush blocking her view, the mare wobbled to the bed, her legs tired after her exertion. She lowered her head, taking a long, refreshing drink before she stepped away from the water and folded her front legs, lowering her body to the ground.

Her legs screamed with relief at not having to support her weight anymore. The mare's eyes called for sleep, but she could not, not yet anyway. She still felt something nearby, an ominous edge to this forest. She'd allow herself a nap, but she'd remain alert, not wanting to get caught off guard again and start running from whatever it was that had scared her before.

Raeden Posts: 188
World's Edge Specter atk: 7 | def: 11 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 5 Years 3Months HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Tin :: Plain Cerndyr :: Earth Spirit Dressy

RAEDEN
but what is love without lust

She could hear something in the distance. Maybe raeden was making it up in her head, or maybe it was real. He heart thumped and raced wondering what this panicked creature was. Cream hooves came to a halt listening to the sounds and where it was coming from. Tin was quite next to her waiting for Raeden to move and figure out what they should do. Should she go see what that sound was, or should she just head home and forget it all. Against her will, the pale girl took another step forward. Maybe today she should be different, go adventure what is the worse that could happen? Pushing forward she flew into a graceful trot, and Tin was by her side. Hooves splattered in the snow and dampened milk white legs. Chocolate tones of dirt ruined the pureness of her perfect pelt, but that was not the concern now.

Finally, the pair came into a clearing and there was no one in sight, at first glance. Then on the ground in the dirt and dampness of the earth, there was a figure laying there. She panicked, was this person alive, were they hurt, did they need help? Raeden cantered over calling to the figure trying to not scare the thing away. Her hooves came to a halt next to the mare laying near the water. Lowering her honey skull she smiled softly with kind teal eyes. Do not scare her raeden.. just be nice and act normal. "Hello I am Raeden of Wold's Edge . Do you need help and are you hurt? I might be able to help you if you wish, but I am not a healer. If you want a place to rest and heal, you would be safe in World's Edge. I can help you get there." Her words were kind and warming extending the offer to the girl. "Oh this is my companion Tin. Please do not feel pressured to come with me, I can try to heal you and get you out of the Threshold. This is not the best place in Helovia to rest." She was trying to be kind and warming, but she was unsure how the woman would react to anything. Tin hugged her side peeking for her front legs ever now and again.
"talk talk talk"

table code by tamme

@Nitika

Lizzy
Since she wasn't fully asleep yet, Nitika's sensitive ears easily picked up on the creature - though it sounded like more than one - approaching. The mare lifted her head, her tired blue eyes looking for the sound of hooves clattering on the earth, for it was what the noise sounded like. Within seconds, she spotted two creatures heading her way; one was a horse with a palomino coat, the other a deer with a medium colored coat and a fine rack of antlers upon its head.

But wait... were her eyes playing tricks on her? Those antlers, they didn't appear normal, like the ones she'd seen where she came from. Where was it she came from again?

With each stride the pair of strange ones got closer. Nitika, still on edge, tried to get back on her hooves, but she was just too worn out. With each effort she put in, her body gave into the strain, her muscles exhausted from her escape and her lungs still burning. Still, she tried, not wanting those others to get too close to her, worried what they might try to do.

On her final attempt, Nitika almost made it; she was up on her hooves and about to take a step closer to the water. The coolness of its embrace always made her feel safe for a reason; she couldn't explain it, she just liked the water. Maybe it had something to do with her hatred of fire? She really couldn't remember at this point.

Before she could take that one step though, her body gave out again. Worn from the effort it took to support her weight on three legs, she once again fell, her left front leg still slightly extended so the hoof was on the ground, as if she was preparing to get back up. Nitika wanted to try again, but too late, for the mare and the deer were already here.

Resigning herself to her temporary fate, Nitika looked the pair up and down as the mare spoke to her. Both of them gave Nitika an odd feeling; she'd never encountered a pair like this before, even if the mare seemed mostly normal. Her palomino coat glowed with health, her expressive eyes attributing to the curious and talkative persona she was currently displaying by talking to Nitika before the wounded mare could get a word in.

The stag was magnificent looking, with its extensive tines protruding from its skull in a wonderful display. His coat was a bit shaggy, probably due to the cold weather from wherever he came, but it did little to dampen his majesty. His antlers - wait, what in the world? They didn't look like anything Nitika had ever seen before. The rack of antlers were entwined with leaves and branches that appeared to have been picked and strung from the very forest around them. The strangest thing too; the flora appeared to literally be a part of the stag's antlers, as if he had been born that way. He didn't seem bothered by the plants in his antlers either; instead, his gaze was calm, much like the palomino mare's. Yet, for some reason, the steady look did little to relieve Nitika's nerves.

Her body as taut as a wire, the mare could do little but take in everything the palomino said. Committing it all to memory, Nitika ran through it in her mind, ignoring the aching in her head; the palomino's name was Raeden, she came from somewhere called World's Edge (quite a strange name), she said it was a place she could rest and find a healer, and that this strange stag with the flora rack of antlers was her companion, named Tin.

Suddenly, the ache in Nitika's head didn't seem all that out of place now. Not really believing with her own eyes yet, she simply thought she'd cracked after her wild run and escape mere moments ago.

But then, if this was truly all a dream, somehow, within her mind, then why did it feel so real to the point that her head hurt? She'd head dreams before that seemed quite real, but never felt anything like now. Her head, the cuts and scrapes on her body, her burning lungs and aching muscles...

She really didn't know what to think of it all. Not yet anyways, but she'd sort it out at a later time.

Looking up at the golden mare, Nitika finally spoke. Her voice was hoarse (pun intended) and raspy, evidence of either the mare screaming all the effort out of her lungs, or the result of a severely parched throat (that she was still feeling the effects of mind you). It rather sounded like a creature picking up a finely sharp rock and scraping it against another, moving repetitively back and forth at high speed.

"No, I'm not hurt. I'm simply laying here on the ground for the fun of it," Nitika replied harshly, her eyes narrowed in agitation. "World's Edge? What kind of place is that anyways? And healers? I think the term better off being used is plants," she said.

It was true, there were times Nitika had heard of when a member of her herd had gotten sick, then recovered a while afterward thanks to some plant that had somehow been discovered within their grazing grounds. Now, it didn't happen enough to become a regular occurrence, but Nitika had seen proof. Her own dam had come down with a nasty sickness when she was around four months old and still nursing. After going away from the herd one day to another part of the grove where they were grazing, Nitika's dam had stumbled upon a plant that smelled rather tasty. She ate a good amount, and felt fine within the next day or so.

Nitika had believed in such a thing ever since. Problem was, she didn't recognize anything around her; how was she to know what could help her? The cuts and scrapes couldn't be healed with plants; they'd go away in time. Her voice, well, it'd heal if she stopped talking. Her dry throat, lots of water and plants that absorbed a lot.

But then there was the matter of this mare and the odd stag. Why were they truly here? How had they discovered her? Last Nitika checked it was a pretty secluded area. Had they somehow known she'd be here? Were they in league with whoever had been chasing her before everything had gone dark?

Leaning back a little to keep the two creatures in full view, Nitika's blue eyes stared at them accusingly, "What do you really want? Why did you come here to find me?"

@Raeden

RAEDEN

The pair took a step back watching the girl struggle. Her head lifted, and cream hooves moved away. Tin shuffled and moved with his bonded. Green eyes picked up on the girl looking, watching, and wondering about him. Ears flicked back briefly, and his heavy antlered skull reached out to smell the air around her. She very new here, has no clue about this place. Cream tresses nodded with him watching quietly. Finally, a cracked voice rumbled from the other mares mouth. Teal eyes narrowed upon the woman. Pale ears pinned with sharp movements and her mud covered hooves stepped further away from the girl. How dare she cock an attitude in her homeland. Grumbling flared silver orbs looked to Tin She is not worth my time if she is going to act like this. Silently she stood there as the words continued to flow from the harsh mouth of the other.

Questioning her home she mare asked what type of place was that. Her eyes almost rolled at the fact she said their Moon Doctors were plants. There was so much the woman did not know, and she would be better off keeping her mouth shut. Raeden remained quiet. The girl was contemplating something, but before Raeden could say another word, raging teal eyes picked up on the accusing look drifting towards the pair. She looked right into the mares blue eyes as words burned from her maw. What did she really want, and why did she find her here? Well, Raeden wanted to spear the woman now, but she did not say that. Her honey coated voice simply addressed all the accusations the woman spewed from her mouth. "Oh well nice to meet you too..." Her words changed, they now seemed annoyed. " World's Edge is my herd. We live in the forest that borders a cliff, hence the name. I can heal you without plants; there is magic in Helovia that allows that. Oh, and I meant what I said by healers. We have Moon Doctors in my herd that heal with the magic of the moon god. But if YOU want just to use plants, good luck with that; I hope you know how to kill a wolf. Plant's are not going to heal you fast enough to be able to defend yourself in the state you're in. " She huffed slightly shaking her skull. New people need to learn to be a bit nicer to the natives here. " Darling, you are in the Threshold. I came here to see if you wanted to join my herd. That is what happens here. You enter Helovia; herd members are here searching for recruits, and you choose to accede to the herd with them, or you go on to be an outcast. Simple as that." The sass the girl gave Raeden was thrown right back in her face. "So I ask you again do you want me to heal you, and do you want to join a herd? There are three other herds out there. I will only take you to Edge. You must find the others on your own. I mean if you want me just to leave you alone, I am sure the wolves would thank me in the long run. " Her shoulders shrugged with a dull tone ringing in her voice. Tin wondered closer to look at the mare Bit harsh, aren't you? Raeden chuckled slightly I offered her to be healed and a place to stay, what more do you expect from me? Her gaze fell back to the girl with dark silver flakes flaring. "I was just trying to be nice, but I see how far that gets. " She started to turn her body to walk away. If the woman wanted to be healed, she would say something. Raeden was not going to beg to heal her or beg to have her join in her travels home.

OOC:: Welcome!! If you would like Raeden to use her magic to help her feel better please let me know in your next post! :) and do not mind my sassy girl

table code by tamme

@Nitika

Lizzy
Well, now at least a few of her questions were being answered. The hostility in Nitika's eyes began to vanish, curiosity now swimming within the sea of blue. Her ears turned forward as she took in all that the mare explained about this place, and why she had come here to seek Nitika out, even if she had pretty much stumbled upon the mare by accident. With the noise Nitika had been making when running through the brush, she was surprised that the wolves hadn't heard her.

So this place was named... Helovia? A name such as that didn't strike any chords within Nitika's brain. Nor did the other names the mare mentioned; World's Edge? Threshold? Moon Doctors? Though she figured the last one meant these healers the palomino mare spoke of. The matter of being recruited by a herd was simple enough, but the problem was, Nitika didn't have very fond memories of herd life. Everyone had always said rude things to her, shoved her to the side to move her away, spoke about her behind her back when they thought she wasn't listening...

But unlike many that experienced such a thing, Nitika was also a bit of an optimist. Sure, she was guarded and her trust was hard to earn, but she was willing to give a first chance at least to something, or someone, she found interesting. Perhaps things were different here? Herd members didn't gossip about each other as much maybe? The mare would keep a close eye on matters like that, just in case. She didn't want a repeat of some recent incidents.

Nitika once more made an attempt to stand. Somehow finding the strength, she struggled to her hooves, managing to get all four under her to support her weight. However, by her fatigued stance, it was quite obvious that she wouldn't be moving anywhere fast anytime soon; her fastest pace would be a leisurely walk at best.

As she made her way to her hooves, Nitika spoke in a louder voice to get Raeden's attention, as the palomino had already turned her back and was starting to disappear into the trees.

"Look, I'm... sorry," Nitika said, a somewhat sorrowful look in her eyes, "I'm... I'm just very tired and frustrated right now. I... I can't remember what I was running from... what was chasing me here. I can't... really seem to remember a whole lot right now, of what happened before you showed up," the mare explained. "It's like this thick wall of fog has settled in my brain and won't go away. It's... highly irritating.

"If... you would be willing to bear my presence on the journey to your home... I... I would like to... at least see, what these 'Moon Doctors' of yours can do to, well... hopefully help me."

@Raeden

OOC: Hey, sassiness makes the world go round, haha. Nitika doesn't trust Raeden too much yet for her to use her own magic. She wants to see if Raeden is really telling the truth and not just pulling her leg before she asks for her help.

RAEDEN

Her rose gold shoulders came to a halt. Her cream legs did not dare to move another inch. Pale ears flicked back to listen to the girl talk and explain herself. The harsh tones dropped, and the shield started to work its way down. Raeden contemplated just moving on, but Tin made her stay. She needs your help A sight fell to her mouth as the girl began to speak out. Isn't it funny that why you threaten to leave people to their death all tones change? Teal eyes looked behind her, and slowly her cloud covered body turned back around. People are so funny, for them to be nice someone has to be a total bitch. Silver-flecked orbs searched over the weak standing body and her head tilted slightly to the left. The girl ( who still had not spoken her name ) explained she was being chased by something. That was not surprising to Raeden. The Threshold was filled with beast and creatures of darkness and evil. Helovia was filled with those creatures.

Milky tresses nodded as each word was picked over and absorbed into her skull. There was always that fog that made everyone forget things when entering the world. " You are not the only one who ahs experienced that fog feeling. The Threshold has that effect. " Her voice was slightly bland, but she has talked to so many about the threshold that she cannot help it. The woman does want to go to Edge with her. strange. The woman was so against it at first, but she had to have had a change of heart. A smile fell upon Raeden's face, and she started to turn in the direction of home. "I can deal with a lot of things.If you feel you can make the trip without being healed, then let's get this show on the road. We should make it there by sunset. " Her body now turned around and slowly started to walk. "First I must ask what is your name. I would rather not call you mare. " Chuckling lightly she started their decent.

"Talking "

OOC:: Kinda short, but you do not have to reply to this thread again if you do not want to. I am going to get one up in Edge :)

table code by tamme

@Nitika

Lizzy
Nitika did find it a bit odd that this... place, the Threshold, had the same effect on other horses that she was currently experiencing. That didn't really seem fair; was this land trying to cause horses to forget? Erase all former traces of home from their lives to try and make them feel at home here? The mare wasn't sure how she felt about that. She wanted to remember what it was she had been running from, so she would know to be on the lookout for it.

Not knowing, being kept in the dark, made her feel like a helpless foal; always looking over her shoulder, watching for the enemy. In reality, she spent every waking moment looking over her shoulder anyways, but she didn't want to feel weak while doing it.

Raeden urged Nitika to come along under the guise that she could continue without slowing her down due to her injuries. Nitika was accustomed to hiding, or at least dealing with, her pain, no matter how severe. Ever since she'd been removed from her herd and forced to live on her own when she was young, she had always been on the run, knowing doing anything else could mean her death. There were time she'd been hurt and nearly caught by a predator, so she'd learned that even if she was hurt, she had to keep moving.

When the palomino turned away again and started walking in the direction of what Nitika presumed was her home, the painted mare followed. Her ears turned toward Raeden's voice as the mare requested Nitika's name, saying she wished to call her something else besides 'mare'. Oh, the irony, since she had been called much worse before.

Taking a short breath, the blue eyes turned to the palomino, a soft gaze swimming in their depths, "It's Nitika."

OOC: Thought I'd at least get a short little closer up so that Raeden at least knew Nitika's name, haha. And all right, I'll keep an eye out for the post in World's Edge. Hey, by the way, how do you tag a player? It worked for me the first time but now when I try it again it won't work.