the Rift

[OPEN] Drifter.

Bathsheba Posts: 45
Outcast
Filly :: Hybrid :: 16.3 hh :: II years
Kansas
bathsheba
Ba-bump

Normal, a template borne from the base genetic make-up with the executive intent to inspire change. Deviancy, anomalies derived of a primordial desperation to survive in a world where only the strongest prevail. Or, perhaps it is intelligence that drives success, for where would Helovia be if not for its brightest minds? I liked to think it was a delicate mixture of the two, tipping always on that thin line we all seemed to walk. But then where would that leave me? The horses like me? The ubiquitous singularity that walks among the masses, speckled throughout every herd and walk of life. We exist in synchronicity with life and death as all things do, we see and hear, making decisions based on observation and experience. Yet for all the similarities we share, there is that irrevocable fact that stands out above anything we might hope to achieve - we aren't normal.

Ba-bump.

Light, a concept that I had nearly given up on in the past few... months? Years? I could no longer tell. My senses had numbed in the strangest way, caressed by darkness, tempted into something less than alert. Here though was an even more bizarre experience, the feeling of warmth filtering across my skin. The flesh of my face prickled, goose-pimples erupting across the expanse of my hide, tail sweeping irritably. Dark lashes fluttered over opalescent eyes that could not decide whether to focus or remain blown out of proper sight. Greens, blues, and soft yellows exploded into clarity with a special kind of pain, lancing angrily through my temples. I had partially forgotten what a tree looked like, but upon seeing them properly in what felt like forever, it was a deluge of memory and feeling.

There was no time to sort through the images and heart-break that filled the cracks and holes in my heart, reminding me of why I had wandered off to start with. Who in their right mind put themselves through such ache and dissent? For family? Community? Loyalty? All fragile and breakable concepts. I had been lost in a most terrible way, struggling to get home, to find my mother and... nobody cared. Not really, they had their own problems to contend with, who was I? The crippled waif who got in the worlds way. I shake my head, banishing the horrors to the dark corners of my mind, crying out while my expression revealed only tentative curiosity - if not a tad strained.

"Talk."

@Astarot I lied lol here is some trash to root in *snuff snuff*
look to the stars

image | coding

Email P

Syrena Posts: 207
Dragon's Throat Forger
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 hh :: 7 years
Thelxiepeia :: Royal Rougarou :: Water Kyra

i want to be wild, beautiful and free

She had never thought herself normal. Not before Helovia. Not even for her first year or so here. Syrena is not, of course, normal in the strictest sense of the word, a strange amalgamation of fish and horse. Once, that strange amalgamation had meant something, had made her something. Something more. Something other. Something better. A something that was stripped in the blink of an eye. Not that had known it at first. No, she’d carried on like she was still that something more/other/better. Like she had some right to hold her head high and act better than everyone else. Of course, once, she had been.

Now, despite the always wet skin and the fins on her feet and behind her ears, she feels so terribly normal. In this land of improbabilities and oddities, she is normal. It is a horrible thing to feel. Normal.

But she is. And she almost acts like it some days too. Tolerating small talk, working for a herd that truthfully is about dead as hell. Why does she do these things? No clue. No damn clue. Other than she doesn’t know what else to do either, because she’s shit out of luck anyway. Her magic is gone and it doesn’t come back and there’s nothing left for her to do but toil away till her dies.

But at least, there is something to do. It is proving better than mourning over something she can never have. Though still, there are days where she simply mourns. Today is not one of those days, because on those days, she ends up at the sea. Truthfully, she always ends up at the sea sooner or later, though her paths are sometimes circuitous. Today, she’s not entirely sure where she’s heading except that she’s getting out of the Falls. Maybe the Throat. She doesn’t know their Wise One yet.

So she heads south, straight through the Deep Forest. It’s not fate or divine intervention that brings her here. Just sheer dumb luck. Probably, anyway. But she doubts the Earth God is paying any attention to what she’s up to. But there, in the Deep Forest, on no particular path, is Bathsheba. “Sheba?” Syrena calls, her voice softer than normal. There’s not much emotion to it, but there’s something beneath the strange deadpan lullaby of her voice. “Are you okay?”

syrena

just like the sea

@Bathsheba because <333

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Reli

Outcast
Kansas
bathsheba
There is something undeniably comforting in sound, large and small, soft and loud. Perhaps for many it represented finality, truth, existence on a plain where otherwise we might wander beneath an empty chasm of gravity. This sound was unexpected, but not unwelcome. I turn my nose toward the disturbance, eyes following suit in order to see who it was that had stumbled upon me. Suddenly sound was not the right word, this needed something stronger, something... personal. There was no explanation for the pulse of excitement that crawled across painted skin, the dance of tired hooves upon the pine-mold. To believe that after all these past months of wandering, lost and alone, hurting and aching for what could never be - such a lovely sight would lie waiting at the end of that nasty tunnel.

"Syrena!" I gush, for it was the only respectful thing you could call it. There was a moment of sheer bliss as something bright and lively ruptured across the surface of my heart. A feeling I had nearly forgotten (and so young too.) wormed its way through the darkness, spreading veins of joy and exhilaration as it jerked fiercely on my heartstrings.

I could not begin to understand how this mare brought such unmitigated glee upon me. How the very expression of her typical, mundane presence, could elicit such longing from within. Her blue coat was as I remembered, albeit hazy and faded in my minds eye, I knew it to be she, no doubt about it. "Oh Syrena, Syrena!" like a small child I thrust myself at the mare, who yet held weight over my growing figure (not for long though). No manner of restraint could withhold the desperation that held me, gripped me tight and pulled me from perdition.

"Talk."

@Syrena
look to the stars

image | coding

Email P

Dragon's Throat Forger

There are only certain sounds that she finds comforting. Above all others, she loves the sound of the ocean. The constant lapping of the waves against the shore, the constant crashing of the waves. This, to her, is the only real comfort. It is the song of her sisters, it is the song she once used to sing. The one she one day would like to sing again. When she cannot hear the ocean, the sounds of waterfalls crashing off their mountains, the sounds of gurgling rivers or bubbling streams will bring her some sense of peace. But it is only the sound of the ocean that brings her true comfort.

She carries that sound with her now. A gift from the Earth Turtle, or whatever he was called. The strand of seashells hangs from her mane near the water drop charm that stains her otherwise gray mane with cool colors. The shells emit the soft sound of the ocean, and when she simply needs to feel like herself, she can flick her ear back and listen. It is not the same as standing in the surf, but it is the next best thing.

This sound though, the way her name comes out in a gush from Bathsheba’s lips, is almost as wonderful as the sea. It catches her off guard, the way Sheba’s voice sounds in that moment. The way, really, Sheba’s voice makes Syrena feel. There’s a pang in her heart, like it skips a beat to find the girl unharmed. But she doesn’t know what to make of that feeling, and she’s still trying to figure it out when the girl comes crashing into her.

She nearly stumbles backward and away as fast as possible. Nearly. It is her immediate thought, and she’s got a hoof in the air before she can stop herself. Now her name on the girl’s lips is almost desperate, and it stills the seal-gray mare. Her skin crawls where they touch, but she cannot bring herself to step away. It seems like the completely wrong thing to do in this moment, no matter how miserable any contact makes her.

But she stays. For Sheba. For the weird pang in her heart that doesn’t feel empty but full. Full? Is that really the case? It’s been long since she’s felt anything but the loss of her powers, but the bars that keep her locked in Helovia. She can’t even trust her own sense of emotions. But it’s clear something is wrong. Or was wrong. Or…

“What happened?” she asks, and though there’s little emotion in her voice, it is perhaps softer than normal. Perhaps tinged with a bit of kindness that is not normally there.

syrena

just like the sea

@Bathsheba

Please tag in all posts
Image by Reli

Outcast
Kansas
bathsheba
It should have been exciting to see the grey mare even remotely interested in my qualms. Instead it was vaguely unnerving, though not enough to disturb the joy coursing through my veins. It was a feeling that would not be so easily quashed, for every fiber of my being fought to keep it alive. Black hooves shuffled across the pine mold, drawing me up close to the mare, chest heaving. "I went looking, for my mother," I explain, voice tremulous with emotion "but I did not find her. I got lost instead, I do not know how long I've been stuck in that darkness...". Darkness that threatened every vestige of happiness I claimed as each word rolled off my tongue, hot and heavy like poison in a pond.

(No!) My mind shoved, pressing against the familiar twinges of depression I had come to know so personally. Not with Syrena here, Syrena would banish such nastiness away, right? It was strange how in all the time I had been separated from my mother, from... Sialia, how this one mare seemed to have taken residence in my life. A solid pillar that albeit, was not always there, took more responsibility for my well being than she had any right to. I could jump back to that time on the beach, meeting her among the growing crowd and how she trailed after me everywhere I went. Before that we met in this place here, fighting off a bevy of forest creatures over what later was revealed to be an egg. An egg that still haunted my thoughts on occasion to be honest.

"I missed you." I admitted softly, bowing my head, ears tipped back in affection rather than aggression as I inched closer to the mares lower neck.

"Talk."

ooc - trash, trash, trash, trash
@Syrena
look to the stars

image | coding

Email P

Dragon's Throat Forger

It unnerves her that she might care for anyone. Anything. Caring means getting hurt. Something that has become more of a habit lately than she’d like to admit. She’d cared about the Falls, had slowly grown to like it, maybe almost even love it. Only to have it snatched from her. She cared about Kiada, would protect that girl with her life as she has done with Bathsheba as well. Since when would she give her own life for someone else’s? Since when had she accepted that her own life was something to be given now? No longer capable of immortality, of using the lives of others to sustain her own. Yet how had she turned to the other side of that coin? Willing to give her life to sustain someone else’s.

Well, willing is an overstatement. But still. She would do it, kicking and screaming. But she would do it.

“In the forest?” she asks, a little confused. “Is your mother not in the Basin?” She thought that’s where the girl is from, though she wasn’t entirely sure she was right. It never really crossed her mind that maybe her mother dumped her there, or maybe it was only her father now. That maybe something bad had happened to Sheba’s mom and Syrena was being an insensitive ass. But then again, that would be more like Syrena, and less unnevering to everyone involved. Syrena was an insensitive ass, though not on purpose, but just because some things never even crossed her mind.

The girl goes on to say she got lost in the forest, and Syrena can do nothing for a moment but stare into the forest. It’s a place she does not go, not farther than the outskirts where the trees are still thin enough to let light through. From here, the forest doesn’t look like much, but Syrena knows its an easy place to get lost. She nods toward the edge of the forest, encouraging Sheba further out – further away.

The girl, for her part, admits to missing Syrena. It stops Syrena in her tracks for a moment, that she might be missed. She was nothing here, no one. How could anyone miss her? And in truth, she cannot say she missed the girl, because she has never really missed anyone. No one has ever been in her life long enough for her to miss, and she’s always been the love-em and leave-em type until recently. “I’m glad you are safe now. I’ll make sure you get home.” Because it’s not like she was going to just up and leave the girl here.

syrena

just like the sea

@Bathsheba

Please tag in all posts
Image by Reli

Outcast
Kansas
bathsheba
So little emotion passed over the woman's face, and if I was honest, it was briefly disheartening. I have known Syrena for most of my life at this point, and there was not a time that I recall seeing much more than vague curiosity upon her visage. Although now, as I gazed up at her with weepy blue eyes, her features were harder than normal, waxed into something more akin to a wall than typical indifference. Was that my fault? Was this in response to my utterance, my admitting my true feelings on the matter? She would not reject me would she!? A piece of my chest squeezed tighter than everything else, my heart fluttered at the possibility I had not dared consider when telling her such things. Syrena was my beacon, the light to my darkness, she always seemed to be there when I need her most, she would not let me down now! So when the words 'home' and 'safely' rolled off her smooth tongue, I knew at once that this was not how I wanted things to go.

For the first time in a long while, if not ever, I knew exactly what I wanted to do.

"No, no not home, somewhere else." I say softly, trying out the words like a new dress, they felt strange on my tongue. "Don't take me home Syrena, take me- take me to the Veins, so that I can speak to the Gods."

Outside of Syrena, no one else was privy to my physical ailments. In the last several months of being lost in the dark, I had learned to hone in on the pain, which was slowly becoming more specific to my hind-quarters, rather than my whole body. I discovered that if I focused on it enough, I could sort of lessen it in my head some, so that maybe it was not such a constant ache on my psyche. However, the reverberating pain in my bones was something I feared I would live with for the rest of my life, just as Mother had said. If I was going anywhere, it was to the one place that wishes might come true, if asked nicely enough. How would I manage to get anywhere 'safely' if my crippled self held the grey mare back? How could I live with the possibility of being confined behind the walls of nature in order to protect my well-being? I could not, so I would not.

"I cannot go back to that place, not yet, not until I at least try to fix myself! I cannot live knowing that I am no more than a burden to my people..." To people that hardly knew I existed, to people that did not care.

"Talk."

@Syrena
look to the stars

image | coding

Email P

Dragon's Throat Forger

Sometimes she wishes she could make the appropriate emotions show on her face. That her beautiful, but deadpan voice, would dip and soar with the appropriate inflections. Once upon a time, she knew how. Could sing and act her way into luring wayward travelers into her trap. But when Helovia stripped her magic from her, somehow all that went away. She was left with a shell of herself, and she wears her carelessness like a mask now. Any crack in it and the damn might break. She might become something else entirely, no longer herself, but even more bitter and wrecked than even her insides are now.

Sheba doesn’t ask to go home though. She asks to go to the Veins of the Gods. A place Syrena has never been, and currently, did not plan to go. She does not trust them. Has no reason to trust them. They have taken everything from her. Her magic, her home, herself. But she promised to keep Sheba safe, and so of course she will go. Because she doesn’t know how to show that she cares with a smile or the right words. She can only act, even if she acts like a large, unfeeling dog that just sort of trails after her charges.

“Okay,” she says, nodding her head in the direction of the Veins and then setting off, keeping an eye to make sure Sheba is in fact coming with her. Because Syrena wasn’t going to that place to speak with the gods herself. She had nothing to say to them. Well, she had a lot to say to them, but it wouldn’t come out kindly, and she knows better than to anger the Gods. They took without being angry, she did not intend to find out what they would do to her if she opened her mouth.

syrena

just like the sea

@Bathsheba

Please tag in all posts
Image by Reli