the Rift

[OPEN] The Mountain Smoked Beneath the Moon

Sacre Posts: 274
World's Edge Emissary atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 5 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Inari :: Red Fox :: Heal & Ríona :: Common Kitsune :: Electric imi
After travelling up the rickety path and onto the Heavenly Fields, the sight of the mountains had struck a nostalgic cord within Sacre, crying back to his innocent childhood spent in the arms of snow and ice. The good old days. When the strain of responsibility didn't rest on his shoulders, he had been untouched by the cruelty of death and all his capricious friends. "Wouldn't you like to see what's beyond these mountains, Roux?" a painful, but a fond smile, wove onto Sacre's dark lips as he remembered he was meant to travel beyond with his twin and yet, here he stood, in the hands of the vast Frostbreath, wondering what happened. 

As his cloven hooves trudged through the slowly melting snow, that got deeper the more he climbed, the sun began to descend from the deep blue sky, casting an orange glow on two playing foxes who dived into the snow looking for prey. When they didn't catch any they sprinted off, chasing each other with small noises of joy following them as Sacre watched them, laughing now and then when one tumbled or another was caught off guard. It was serene, nice for a change, he even managed to pick up some hearth moss here and there, it's burnt appearance was easy to spot as it grew on the surface of rocks. Perhaps he could preserve it for the next Frostfall. 

By the time he had stopped, the moon was high in the sky and Sacre had taken shelter near a large rock formation, placing his Sun God figurine on the floor for a source of light. It's warm coloured aura made him feel warmer too even if it didn't emit any heat. Across his back lay Inari and Ríona, the kitsunes tails wrapped around Sacre's neck like a scarf as the latter peered into the sky, gazing at the often clouded moon. Eventually, he stuck his red arrow into a crack in the stone, hanging his moss from it as not to lose it and started slowly wandering, following the rock formation, looking for more.

now I'm reaching out to you with every note I sing
and I hope it gets to you on some pacific wind

image credits

@Bathsheba <3

There's something wretched about this
Something so precious about this

❚ Force permitted!
❚ Please tag me!

Bathsheba Posts: 45
Outcast
Filly :: Hybrid :: 16.3 hh :: II years
Kansas
The snow was deep, deeper than the upper crags of the Basin where Mother had once led me to the hot springs.

("How is the water going to help me, nothing helps me!" I bleat hopelessly, voice tainted with vapid exaggeration as I trudged nervously after the black mare. I could see her ears twisting, imagine the pull of her lips as she frowned toward my weakness. Of course, she was not weak like me, she reveled in ego and wielded her pride like a sharpened knife.

And yet...
)

I plow through the drifts with relative ease, wide hooves clearing snow and chipping ice into a usable path. High steppes - aptly named for their... frosty veil - rose in the near distance, echoed in the depths of opalescent orbs. They knew this place, recognized the steep curve rocky hills and rugged trails that opened up into hidden valleys. Here was a place that I knew very well, inciting an intimate warmth inside my bones, reaching, reaching to tug on heartstrings. Snippets of memory flickered behind my eyes, eyelids fluttered curiously.

My body stilled, one leg yet hanging in the cold air, the tip of a hoof brushing uncertainly against the high snow. I was born here, tucked safely against my Mother's flank, invisible to the howling storm outside. I remembered it like yesterday, shrieking wind and the soft tickle of breath against my wet ears. Along with the wisp of images was something else, something... a shadow I could not quite distinguish.

FOOF!

Powdery dust erupted into my face as some manner of creature evacuated from my presence. From the back I might have guessed them (there are two now that I look) to be foxes, but I could not be sure, not with my head so firmly planted in the past. At least what I could recall, the moment was undeniably lost, reality settling in with a glossy shimmer across the snow. Sunlight painted the scene in every color you could imagine, soft oranges, harsh reds, gentle pinks, nature's palette. Nostrils quivered as I fought the urge to grimace, it was too perfect, too lovely for the atmosphere invading my thoughts. Despite this I stand there, staring blankly at the horizon, nit-picking the landscape. It is hard to complete a puzzle without all of its pieces.

Wolves howled somewhere and I cast my gaze back to the sky, finding vague comfort in the inky darkness that had capsized upon the dusk. In the dark it was not hard to pick out differences, shadow had many depths yet rarely varied in shade, tending toward the familiar charcoal facade. There, rustling about in the snow was something large, a bear perhaps? I wanted to look toward the gathered rocks but my eyes could not focus properly, struggling amongst the towering darkness.

"Who are you?" I ask, voice smooth, ensconced in veiled curiosity, led by caution.

"Talk."

ooc - gomen xoxo

@Sacre
sassy quote goes right here
doo doo dee dee da da

image | coding

Glacia Posts: 111
Aurora Basin Medic atk: 4.0 | def: 8.0 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 4 Years HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Name :: Snowy Owl :: None Nessie
Glacia

Coming here brought back the best of memories. I trudged up the well known path, one I had traversed many times in my foal hood, my gaze finding particular markers. I reached the edge, overlooking the basin. Down below equine milled about like ants. I remembered that first time I had met my father. It had been here. Over looking the basin one night. I had been trying so desperately to reach home before my mother, and I completely failed, and got in very big trouble. But she didn't know that was how I had met him. Or that we had met at all. I remembered it clear as day, and one of the happiest, and saddest moments of my life. How was it he had managed to be there in such big turns of my life? Our first meeting, was one. My near death by drowning in the ocean, to my public meltdown at the discovery of pregnancy. To the birth of my sons, and the worst moments in my life. He was there when I was truly at my worst state, thinking of ending it all, and yet he was there to stop me. To give me my purpose, and to let me cry on him. Despite all this, I wasn't even sure I really knew him at all.

A deep sigh escaped my lips, and my blue eyes closed for a second before pushing onward. Past another outlook, remembering my chance meeting with that foolish colt Caenan. I thought he might fall to his death in the Basin below, honestly. But I moved away from the edge of the steppe, heading onto to the plains. Many days I had spent up here, searching for something, plants usually, or lonely adventures. Surprising I never ended up eaten by a wolf. Passing a cave I recall the meeting with my late sister, Sno. That had not ended very well at all. But the Lady Ophelia had been there to safely return me home. A soft laugh escapes my lips, thinking now how very foolish it was. Arguing. Why? Who knew. Jealousy, bitterness. I was the youngest. There wasn't supposed to be anymore after her. I certainly didn't think there where any before me. Childhood foolishness. And honestly, I wish I could take it back, and get to know her truly. Maybe that thought was foolish. Sno was tenacious, and temperamental. It was always meant to be this way.

I move on.

I finally have a choice to make. Looking out of the plains, I remember. Rhoa, in his beauty. His dark grace, and warm embers. I closed my eyes, remembering the feel of his feathers, his embrace. They open again, bright eyes holding in tears against the evening sky. Darkness. I needed to find shelter. Turning I head towards the deep snow and rocky alcoves. There would be shelter there for the night. I trudge through the deep snow, before long my legs cold enough to forget the sting, but yet I wasn't cold. My body moving kept things warm inside, and the bite of the chill at bay. Eventually I came to tracks. They where that of an equine species. Curiosity got the best of me, like it always had, and I followed. It didn't take long before I heard the shuffling of snow and a soft "Who are you?". I come closer, and the gentle wind blows, a scent catching my nostrils. In the little moonlight, I see a chimeric child, blue lacing between her colors... And strangely familiar. She was the voice. "I do believe his name is Sacre. If that smell is his, and I am correct of course." A smile lifts my features towards the youth. "I'm Glacia. Can I assist you with anything? It is dangerous out here, especially at night... And I heard those wolves. Maybe we should stick close together.." My gaze turns behind me, checking to make sure none where sneaking up behind. "Sacre? I do hope that is you, and my sense of smell hasn't broken."
"Talk."
@Sacre @Bathsheba

Sorry I had to pop in. I figure since horses have this excellent sense of smell, she would recognize Sacre <3

image | bckg

Sacre Posts: 274
World's Edge Emissary atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 5 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Inari :: Red Fox :: Heal & Ríona :: Common Kitsune :: Electric imi

Peacefully searching for more of the strange looking moss whilst watching the moon's luminous reflection on the far-reaching snow, Sacre wasn't really expecting a voice to smoothly reach out to him from the darkness of the Steppe and cause his heart to fall over itself in fright. He twisted violently from the side of the rock wall, whirling around to face the girl who had shattered his scene of serenity, whilst unseating his unfortunate foxes from his back and dumping them unceremoniously into a snow drift. For what felt like the longest minute he stood there, silent, staring at the unicorn filly in shock before slowly, bit by bit, he gingerly began to pull himself together. All the while he ignored the pair of beady black eyes that indignantly stared at him, lumps of cold snow sticking to their fur, plotting their intricate revenge already. Even as Sacre rustled up a rueful smile, he didn't quite manage to answer the child's question to his identity, when this time there was another voice, a familiar one and one Sacre managed to contain himself over. Glacia.

The fox-boy had met Glacia quite a few times now and all the while he still knew next to nothing about her, other than that she was a healer and he considered her a friend. "Ahhhhhh yes sorry I am Sacre, it is me... do I smell that bad?" he fumbled out his words on the back of his boyish laugh, trying to banish any awkwardness he might have caused by his rather flamboyant antics earlier and return to his usual buoyant self. The young unicorn, who he could vaguely see had a patched coat through the veil of the night, was a complete stranger to him. Where on earth had she come from? However, before he asked any questions, he could dimly hear the wolves Glacia mentioned in the background, howling away at the moon and Sacre nodded his agreement with Glacia. "I do not think they will venture here and even less so the more there are of us" he gave his compliance with the Nurse. 

Shaking off the clumps of snow, their eyes still hard as steel, Inari and Ríona begrudgingly began to investigate their new company, annoyance inevitably making way for curiosity that always guided their small button noses. "Who are you? Where did you come from?" Sacre asked the yearling who had frightened the life out of him earlier, wondering briefly if perhaps she had been following him all this time and pondering where she had come from. "I didn't expect you to suddenly appear" he wobbled a laugh as a way of apology for his earlier heart attack before turning his attention to the Nurse "and you, what are you doing here?" he smiled at Glacia, pondering for what reason could coincidence have to place them all together here on this chilly night, in the middle of the Steppe, listening to wolves nostalgically howl their stories to the sky above.

sorry he's a mess :T 
now I'm reaching out to you with every note I sing
and I hope it gets to you on some pacific wind

image credits

@Bathsheba

There's something wretched about this
Something so precious about this

❚ Force permitted!
❚ Please tag me!

Bathsheba Posts: 45
Outcast
Filly :: Hybrid :: 16.3 hh :: II years
Kansas
Ears flickered warily as a woman's voice rose up amongst the stone, gentle hoof-beats reverberating through the icy tundra below. I was able to catch a glimpse of the dark creature shift before twisting about to face the newcomer. She was dark as night, an inky canvas incorporated with the starry facade above. Pale eyes searched over the curve of long neck and the plains of spine and croup, unraveling a picture of grace and... if I did not know better, kindness. There seemed something inherently gentle about the very way she walked, the twinkle in blue eyes that left a part of me feeling bereft.

"I do believe his name is Sacre..." She began, revealing an equally virgin tone. "I'm Glacia. Can I assist you with anything?" She asks, showing off an unusual sense of concern for horses she hardly knew. Horses, horses? (Not so strange after-all it would seem...) I wonder as my gaze transfered back to the shadows, better able to pick out small features of the hulking beast now knowing what it was I sought. The stallion too was dark in expression, although he traded in his stars for suave reds and handsome maroons. There is something bizarre about attraction, for this is the word that comes to mind as I observe the stallion who creeps through the snow. His features are not nearly as refined as Glacia's, bearing a countenance more hardened and weary. His banter though contradicted the solemnity of his eyes.

"I am..." I hesitate, tongue working over the ball of anxiety knotted in my throat "Bathsheba. Pleasure to meet you." (or so that has yet to be seen).

"Talk."

ooc - gomen xoxo

@Sacre @Glacia
sassy quote goes right here
doo doo dee dee da da

image | coding