the Rift

[OPEN] A storm to wash you clean [Bone Collecting]

Aquila Posts: 95
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.2 :: 6 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Craonos :: Common Narwhal Leviathan :: Boil smitty
aquila
She dove—deeper, deeper, deeper; there were so many skeletons the sea held in her dark, salty embrace. Truthfully, the seahorse was not certain if Kis’s appeal for assistance has extended beyond the shore. But the warrioress’ mind was too muddled, her soul too torn with loneliness, to leave the ocean’s fold. So down she dove, a quickly growing pile of skeletons on the shore the evidence of her tireless, soldier-like endeavors to help Kis.

It was evident that she had been tirelessly working for some time; not only by the size of her pile, but also by the fact that waves now lazily (haphazardly) lapped along the edges of the bottom-most bones. However, the seahorse’s mind was too distracted to notice as she breached the breakers once again, a large, sharply-toothed skull grasped in her own, sharp teeth.

Her gills popped as the gaped, sucking for water just as her ridged nostrils flared, seeking air. She had overexerted herself, that much was apparent—both by the work she had done and her exhausted body that she drug through the crashing surf. A storm threatened off shore, muting the beach to grey and sending lightning prods dancing across the horizon. But she paid it no mind.

Instead, she dropped the skull amid the various vertebrae, jaws, pelvises, and other bones, plated sides heaving and head nearly flush with the sand. “Enough?” her question, uttered almost nonsensically in her nearly delirious state, came quietly on her guttural voice.
the ocean is everything to be
fierce, wild, and free

This is the skull she just brought up!

Please tag Aquila in all posts.

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers
Lightning strikes every time she moves
“Holy shit.”

It hadn’t even crossed my head that Kisamoa would’ve wanted bones from the water, too. Which was its own kettle of fish, because who the fuck was capable of pulling shit from the waves? Who could breath underwater AND swim all the way down there AND pull up piles and piles of bones all at once?

Well uh, here’s my answer I guess. Some chick who looked like Kisa’s cousin, only once removed. Chico made a face (in our head) and he was on the precipice of calling her all sorts of oooooh girl ugly names, but I was already coming up to her, talking to her, which stripped him of his right to talk shit on her (in my vicinity). At least at the moment. “You need help with that?” I asked, my eyes raking over all the types of ones that were on the shore, already excavated...including a skull that honestly looked like a monster or maybe Shapes’ mama. (Nice). “With….that piece of shit?” My eyes were glued on it, my brow cocked, cuz holy shit.

C’mon, your turn to help, too, I hissed at Chico in my head; he growled and grumbled and slid off my back with a flutter of his leathery wings. Ugh, he had a chore to do. He grabbed a pelvic bone and promptly stalked off, mad at me and everyone and everything that had conspired to make him do a thing he didn’t feel like doing.
Chico
and Roskuld
image credits

Please tag ROSKULD in every reply!

aquila
Her tired, ridged head jerked up as another approached. Too-large, unblinking eyes of yellow and turquoise focused sluggishly on the approaching mare, gliding over her black markings and lading on her equally strange eyes. At first, the seahorse was reluctant to accept help—though her tired body begged for it; and she was nearly inclined to accept, until the Sparklight spoke.

“Not ’piece of shit’,” was Aquila’s immediate, low, temperamental growl. Scaled lips parted more than was necessary, revealing the tips of her many, sharpened teeth. “Respect orko. It kills more ŝarkotoj than you or I ever will,” her large, unblinking eyes were sharp on the other mare’s, “A ŝarkotes would kill you, easy.” The last words were said almost smugly—but the creature on the mare’s back stole away her attention and forced her tired body into a defense stance.

Ridges leapt into threatening, undulating motion as the strange, small lion’s leather wings flapped in the salty breeze. Sharp fins along her face snapped out, flaring in warning at the rougarou—but the lion was not attacking her, he was flying off (obviously unhappy) with a bone.

The mare blinked twice; once at the retreating manticore and once at the huge pile of large bones she had collected—realizing that she was too exhausted to porter all of the heavy skeletons.

So, slowly, weariness settling back into her body now that the threat of wings was gone, she began to pick up a large, whale’s vertebrae. Her glaring gaze darted to the Sparklight, “What are you waiting for? Permission?” Her rough, brusque words seemed more of a challenge than an invitation to help.

But, still, the seahorse began drag her heavy vertebral prize towards where Kis needed it to go.

orko = killer whale
ŝarkotoj = giant sharks
ŝarkotes = giant shark
fierce, wild, and free

@Roskuld Idk why this was long when I'm trying to speed thread @ 150 words? :|

Mathèo Posts: 65
Dragon's Throat Colt
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 17.2 :: 3 seasons
Delphi :: Common Rougarou :: Flame Odd

CRASH MOTHERFUCKERS

"WHOA!"

Normally Thèo was much more calm and reserved than the current tone of his voice would suggest. He was one to take in the world with his wide green eyes and let it stew in his mind. Thèo was a thinker, but today, upon seeing the two mares before him, he couldn't help it.

"You're-" He looked to Aquila, a creature so dramatically different from anything that he'd seen before that it rendered him speechless. Or at least, what he was able to say couldn't properly be called speech at all.  "And you're-" Roskuld wasn't as bizarre looking as Aquila, but nor was she regular. The hair? Ligaments? The things dropping down from her skull were so strange, as were her markings. And she was so small, at least compared to most.

"Hey wait.." He said, drawing nearer to them, ashen face turned upwards with a youthful charm and exuberance as he regarded them both openly and joyfully. "Are you Roskuld? You're one of the demis right?" The sunbeam boy's face brightened suddenly as pieces slowly fit into place.

mathèo
I got a river for a soul
And baby you're a boat

Image Credits

“Not ’piece of shit’.Respect orko. It kills more ŝarkotoj than you or I ever will.“A ŝarkotes would kill you, easy.”

My eyebrows were skyhigh and even though Chico had already left, he could see and hear everything I was experiencing through our link, and he was laughing his ass off that I’d stuck myself with some...bizarre militant fish. I didn’t know how to respond to her impatience or her fancy words, so my immediate reaction was to humor her. “...Cool,” I said awkwardly, trying to ease myself into the situation, “I uh...totally bet it kills more sarco-coco’s than me.” I’ll take her word for it.

The absolute best part (in Chico’s opinion) was the way she’d puffed in alarm with his presence, relaxing only when he left and affecting that same tone of impatience. Good grief, who the hell was this chick? I could’ve gotten mad if the entire situation wasn’t as fucking weird as it was--but all I could really do was just...I dunno, fall in line with this angry, extraordinary fish lady. I piled as many bones as I could into a jumble that would lock within themselves, and followed her back to Big Fish Kis.

Except we were attacked and for a second I thought dead sure it was the Sun Chick Aithininny (kinda). I mean, they were small enough to be her--except, as they came nearer, their scent was unmistakably boy and he was too babyish, too innocent, too vocal to be her. Especially when he looked at me and gave my government name and there was a solid beat where I was at a loss.

“Uh…Ros,” I corrected him, dropping the bones for a second, wondering how the hell this little shit knew me like that, “yeah, I’m one o’ them.” I took a good look at him, cuz holy shit he did remind me of the sun. “Are you?

At least I wasn't all alone with Lady Fish anymore.
Chico
and Roskuld
image credits

aquila
Her eyes, though tired and unblinking, flashed with approval at the Sparklight’s easy acceptance of both respecting the orko and her role in helping move the many bones already piled. Though the mare’s obvious awkwardness is lost on the Akvian, Aquila’s unblinking gaze studied her closely and nearly curiously as she jumbled a pile of interlocking bones to carry towards Kis.

The seahorse turned, webbed hooves biting into the warm sand as she continued to drag the large vertebra—“WHOA!” Again, the seahorse’s head whipped towards the sound and her fins flared in warning and surprise. It was not often that others could sneak up on the Akvian, but she was so exhausted that all her senses were dulled.

The lack of completed sentences and accompanying shock at her appearance should not have surprised Aquila any longer. However, in her drained and stilted state, she roughly finished the boy’s speechless sentences, “I am Akvian,” was her proud and gruff correction. “And you should help,” with a intense look to the boy, she began to continue dragging her bones towards Kis.

A rough snort of derision pushed out of her nostrils at the shock and awe of asking and sharing gods-blood between the glowing colt (—glowing? how was that possible?—) and electrical mare. “Not trust gods,” was her muffled grunt around the bone she pulled with her teeth.

Aquila came from a Rift, where greedy gods preyed on mortals and ruined civilizations. Any relation to such ‘divine’ beings was nothing but trouble, in her book.
fierce, wild, and free

@Mathèo!

Dragon's Throat Colt

The sunbeam boy took Ros's correction in stride, his smile unwavering as he nodded his head accepting--and clearly not minding--the fact that he'd made a mistake. "Ros." He repeated, as if determined to show her that he understood. As she asked if he was a demi, his boyish smile widened and he shook his head, looking like some sort of bewildered cherub, standing in his own patch of sunlight. "No, but my mother is. Aithniel. That makes you my.." Thèo trailed off. He didn't know what that made her. He had learned a lot from Aithniel's communal-style of raising (read: she let the herd raise he and his brother, because she had other things to do). But since the family considered themselves to be one big family, they didn't really spend a lot of time figuring out how they were all related.

Though in hindsight, given that Zero was both Theo's brother and his uncle, perhaps they should have done a better job of that.

Theo shrugged, turning to Aquila as she addressed him.

His eyes were comically wide and adorable child-like as he peered up at her, nodding emphatically as she called herself .. well, a word he didn't really know. "I've never heard of that before." He said openly, youthful face puffed up into an overly eager smile. "I'll help!" He agreed, not noticing the tone with which she offered the suggestion.

Turning to look from Ros to Aquila, Thèo fluttered his wings slightly as he adjusted them against his pale flanks. "I'm Mathèo." He offered politely, then looked down to try and discern what it had been Aquila and Ros had been doing before he had interrupted them.

mathèo
I got a river for a soul
And baby you're a boat

Image Credits

He fixed himself with my name and confirmed my suspicions that he was sun side. It was weird; even though I had nonspecific beef with his Ma, I couldn’t help but melt at his eager boyishness at everything. He wasn’t even fazed by Lady Fish or her special brand of impatience; he just seemed happy to be here, and I couldn’t get irritated at that, regardless who his Ma was.

Except he tried to claim me as blood, which made my ear cock a bit. For some reason, everyone around me thought if you were godsblood, you were automatically related--and more and more, it felt like I was the only one who thought different. Pa had a hand in making me, but in my head gods were above blood, above things like family and relations; the blood in my veins came from Ma, and it’s from her that I claimed my fam. Mesec was different, yeah, but he was also adopted by Ma which made him my Bro anyway. I had nothing to do with the Gods of the Earth or the Sun; why would I claim their kin as mine? But I couldn’t say all that to this walking sunbeam, teasing the grin outta me before I could help it. “I can be yo’ Uncle if you want,” I told him.

Lady Fish mumbled something under her breath, something about distrusting the gods--which wrung a huge laugh outta me. WHELP,” I said, because if that’s the way she feels then she’s fucked living here, “Join the club.” I turned back to Mathèo. “Grab some ‘o these bones here, will ya?”

Chico
and Roskuld
image credits

aquila
Scaled ears twitched, ’Uncle’?” Her question was aimed to Ros; she understood the common tongue relatively well, and (to her) the term was a masculine one, while Ros smelled female. However, with a glance at her stout body, there was little else effeminate about the strikingly-marked mare, so with a dismissive shrug of her scaled shoulders, the Akvian continued drawing the too-large vertebra through the deepening sand dunes. She would never fully understand these land-dwellers.

A too-large gaze was spared at the sunbeam colt, studying him closely in the wake of such exuberant, carefree responses to her astringent demeanor. Though the militant mare was not entirely aware of how astringent her disposition could come across to others, she did know that in her current, exhausted state she had been referred to as ‘insubordinate’ by her superiors in Akvo. So she could only surmise that her current attitude had no bearing on the colt.

And that, as her close and wide-eyed study of Matheo hinted, she found surprising. So, as was her way, she simple said, “You glow like brilasanto. They catch prey with their light. Will you, brilasanito?”

She started, ridges undulating once, at the sudden, loud bark of laughter from Ros. Her overlarge eyes rolled towards the Sparklight, questioning the outburst of laughter, but nodding at the mare’s directive. Then, with a soft snort, the Akvian finally offered—though why, she wasn’t entirely certain why, “I am Aquila.”

brilasanto = anglerfish
brilasanito = little anglerfish
fierce, wild, and free

@Mathèo!

Dragon's Throat Colt

And again, because family was such a sloppy term in the Throat, Thèo found nothing amiss at Ros labeling herself an uncle. He had thought it was a masculine term (as Aquila currently was), but he must have been wrong.

She was saying she was one after all.

"Yes please." He said to Uncle Ros, his voice sing-song and polite. He'd been taught manners very early on, and although there were times he didn't feel like using them, life hadn't yet taught him that sometimes that was alright.

As Aquila addressed him, his shiny gaze fell upon her mouth, as if trying to visualize the strange words she was uttering; as if there would be some cue he'd be able to see, to discern her meaning. Nothing came though. Instead, he peered up at her, expression angelic and warm as he simply said, "I don't know what that means." His voice was almost pathetically innocent. Thèo's life hadn't taken any turns yet that had instructed him in certain conversational situations that required reading between the lines. For instance, maybe blankly staring at someone and saying "I have no idea what you just said", could come across as rude. But Thèo didn't know what she had said, but he wanted to. And so he continued to stare up at her expectantly, the corners of his mouth tilted ever so slightly upwards in happy anticipation.

Grab some ‘o these bones here, will ya?

Okay Uncle. But Thèo didn't actually say these words outloud, he just thought them. But as it happened sometimes, Thèo's mental voice just sort of .. projected silently outwards. Without knowing that he had done this, Thèo shrugged and began gathering.

mathèo
I got a river for a soul
And baby you're a boat

Image Credits