the Rift

[OPEN] all that I could ever do;

Mihtal Posts: 26
Dragon's Throat Mare atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.0 :: 8 years HP: 56.0 | Buff: Novice
Reli
mihtal
all the world is waiting for the sun.
I’m not exactly sure how long the journey takes from the Threshold to the Throat, but it seems too soon when I find myself in the desert again.

Before I realize it, the ground is soft beneath my hooves; the packed dirt gives way to the fine grains of sand, and the lush forest trees fade into hardier and more rugged vegetation. Except to ensure that I don’t stumble embarrassingly into a sinkhole, I keep my eyes to the ground, arching my neck so that my long hair falls like a blindfold around my vision. I watch my feet as they carry me forward (moving mindlessly), and I imagine the sand swallowing my cloven toes so that I cannot move—and, perhaps, I will disappear altogether.

(Would anyone notice?)
Would I even care if they did?

I don’t bother to try and fill the silence. I’m lost in the ruin of my thoughts, trying not to drown in the plethora of wounds that are my memories. Like a spider web of self-doubt and self-destruction, it tangles every musing (every little one) into this twisted chaos, and it warps and deforms until it’s all I know. I can’t remember what it’s like to not be a freak. To not be a mess of emotions, coming apart at the seams—and I just feel like letting go.

Why am I even doing this?
Part of me is tempted to turn away from this new desert snare, because putting up a façade of normality is exhausting, and I’m not sure I can do it much longer. But I am already running from one enemy—I cannot make myself another one. So with a sigh of defeat that hitches into a silent, choking sob, I make myself continue to the ocean. Through the tendrils of my forelock I can see the island. I wade chest-deep into the briny waters, as though I could cross the miles of billowing waves that separate us, as though I wouldn’t be devoured into the depths.

But I don’t continue. Instead I anchor myself just offshore, my tired muscles quivering in a half-hearted effort to keep me from drifting off completely. Still, I am pushed to and fro by the water’s rhythm, the length of my hair fanning out over the foamy surface, the ocean spray dampening my face and hiding the tears that might have fallen. Like this I stand, silent, sure that my presence will, eventually, alert someone. I can wait.

notes; I know she's technically accepted already, but she hasn't actually been to the Throat yet, so here she is! So excited :D
“Speech.”

base | color & coding
please tag Mihtal in all replies!
magic & force are permitted.

Najya Posts: 90
Dragon's Throat Alchemist atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1 :: 7 (Tallsun) HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
A'mal :: Plain White Dragon :: Shock Breath Kiki

"EVERYTHING YOU WANT IS A DREAM AWAY."

It’s a long journey from the threshold, but a relatively pleasant one.  The Throat is about as isolated from the Threshold as you can get while remaining in Helovia.  Once upon a time, Najya found that to be a unique asset of the desert herdland.  Now, not so much.  However she could appreciate the security that living on an island offered.  What happened to her herdland would not be possible here.  There were not mountains for invaders to hide in, no place an invasion could come from without being seen. Najya, at least, was safe from her ghosts here.  She just hoped that one day her new companion would find sanctuary from her own demons as well.

”Mihtal,” the little mare says, quietly, so if not to startle her.  Najya still stood on the shore, with the waves only brushing at her fetlocks.   “It’s too dangerous to swim the whole distance,” she offered, with a small smile. “However, there is a bridge.  I must warn you, though, It’s...unconventional. It will allow you to fly and carry you to the other side.”  Najya remembered her own surprise when the wings of flame first touched her sides when she came to the Throat and she first experienced the short flight across the sea.  

The little mare allowed the newcomer time to gather herself, there was no hurry to activate the pillar. However, having grown bored of busying herself elsewhere, A’mal finally rejoined the gathering unannounced and entirely unconcerned with how she would be received.  The little white dragon dove for the waves in a blur, catching sight of a flash of silver in the curl of the waves.  Moments later she emerged with two fish, one clutched proudly in each fist. A series of happy clicks and chirps poured from the little white creature who was oh so pleased with her performance.  Najya could only shake her head and laugh. “Sorry for the dramatics, but this is A’mal. My companion.” The little brown mare only hoped that A’mal hadn’t startled Mihtal.

A’mal then turned to the strange mare and placed one of her catch on the shore before backing up a handful of steps and sitting on her haunches, offering up the larger of the two fish to the newcomer.  

- N A J Y A -

image credit

<3 @Mihtal
(I could have sworn I put up a welcome thread but I think I hit preview and never posted it.......because I am le smart.)

Please tag NAJYA in all replies. 
Force & magic are permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.
Thank you!
pixel base

Reli
mihtal
The sound of my name startles me. I had all but forgotten about the other mare’s presence, too easily lost in the black thoughts and wide jaws of my own little world, swallowed into isolation just as the ocean seeks to swallow me now (slowly, steadily, persistently). I close my eyes in a long blink before I turn my head towards Najya’s direction, the motion pulling gently against the length of my wet hair, which fans out over the foamy waves. Her comment about the dangers of swimming the distance brings a tightness to my features. I try to mirror her smile, try to play with the humor of her words rather than dwell too long on the dark, haunting truth of them.

I know that I would never make it across the distance to the desert island. I know that my travel-weary muscles would never be able to withstand the strength of the ocean. I know what would happen to me. But that is the siren’s song to my pitiful ears—morbid and doomed in all of its beauty (it’s promise of escape).

Only caring enough to be half ashamed of the insinuation suggested between us, I turn slowly, dragging my cloven toes along the sea floor as I return to the shoreline. My long hair is heavy once I breach the security of the beach, it’s dripping length outlining the shape of my neck and shoulder before it falls to the ground, trailing among the fine sands. “Fly?” I question the other woman flatly, my interest snagging on that last bit of information. What sort of bridge allows someone to fly?

However, my attention is suddenly distracted when a white blur plunges from the sky, diving into the ocean briefly before emerging again. I cast a quick glance to Najya, but she seems relatively unconcerned with the little creature, so I recover from my initial surprise and take the time to study the thing as it approaches us. A dragon, I muse in silent awe. I have seen a few here and there in Uumalah—mostly sold between merchants—but I’ve never been so close to one before. And this one belongs to Najya!

I watch as the pale dragon—A’mal, the mare calls her—places one of her fish on the sand in front of me. It seems to be a type of friendly offering, but I don’t know what to do with it. “Thank you,” I murmur awkwardly to A’mal, unsure if the dragon is even able to understand me. I stand there for a moment, hesitant and acutely aware of the attention I hold, before I lower my head to the dead fish, and nudge it once with my nose. “Why don’t you enjoy it for me,” I laugh gracelessly, the weight of my body leaning backwards and my ears wilting in my unease. I glance to Najya, wondering if I was supposed to do something else instead.

notes; Haha that's okay! I didn't want to pressure you but I got excited xD
“Speech.”

base | color & coding
  @Najya

Najya Posts: 90
Dragon's Throat Alchemist atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1 :: 7 (Tallsun) HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
A'mal :: Plain White Dragon :: Shock Breath Kiki

"EVERYTHING YOU WANT IS A DREAM AWAY."

In that moment it seemed like two things were possible.  On one hand it seemed entirely possible that in this moment Mihtal would prove Najya wrong and swim the whole distance to the desert with no hesitation - conquering the waves and current with sheer force of will.  On the other, it seemed the girl was ready to simply dissolve into the sea.  To simply drift away on the foamy waves and disappear among the currents.  Najya can see the struggle, and has a sinking suspicion that her attempt at lightening the mood had done anything but.  

It was moments like this she was truly thankful for A’mal, for where she sometimes struggled - the little dragon was completely at ease.  The dragon did not worry about decorum or formalities - especially as she presented a fish to the equine who she’d again forgotten would not accept the gift on principle.  The little dragon watches to see what Mihtal will think of her gift, chirping happily at the new mare’s thanks and secretly pleased that the newcomer likes her gift.  See. Should have let come earlier! A’mal speaks to Najya, through their bond, smugly.  The dragon lets out a pleased trill when Mihtal returns the gift, and delicately takes the fish which disappears down the dragon’s throat in a flourish of white scales.  In thanks, A’mal spins in circles twice before bounding towards where her bondmate stands near the pillar, stopping only to beckon her new friend join them.

“She likes you,” Najya said, happily, hoping that perhaps her bonded had succeded in lifting Mihtal’s spirits somewhat.

The little mare then gestures towards the pillar. “The bridge will provide you with wings for the trip. They’re activated by this key,” the russet mare explained, producing her own key to the bridge to demonstrate how it all worked.

“We’ll make sure to get you a key of your own so you’re free to come and go as you please just as soon as we can find a crafter. We try to make sure that all members without wings have access to one.” Najya added, making sure that Mihtal knew that she’d be free to come and go as she pleased.

“Think you’re ready to try?” Najya asked, as she placed the key in the pillar which would activate the bridge for their journey home.

- N A J Y A -

image credit

@Mihtal

Please tag NAJYA in all replies. 
Force & magic are permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.
Thank you!
pixel base

Reli
mihtal
If Najya has noticed anything peculiar about my demeanor, or has any inclination as to the thoughts in my head (a black, dripping, mess of a web), then she is considerate enough to not show any sign of it. The conversation seems to carry on as any ‘normal’ one would, much to my relief, although I can still feel the weight of attention laden across my shoulders. I try not to fidget too much (despite the persistent thrum of electricity that vibrates incessantly and uncomfortably through every one of my muscles). Instead I focus on my breathing, trying to force all of the air from my lungs before I slowly begin to inhale again.

I watch the white dragon with a wary (but curious) gaze, and diligently remind myself that the creature has a name—A’mal, A’mal—before the turmoil of other (irrelevant, unsettling) thoughts evaporate this little piece of information. It would be embarrassing to have to ask for it again. Fortunately, the dragon does not seem to be put off by me not consuming the fish myself (can the animal even experience feelings like we do?), and with a display that is both fascinating and distasteful, the fish has disappeared through the dragon’s gullet.

When Najya speaks, I glance to her with a tense smile, forcing a breath of laughter as I glance back to A’mal. The dragon’s approval is unexpectedly satisfying. I hadn’t expected to care (because I don’t care what the other birds of the air, or fish of the sea might think of me, and try to no avail to ignore the eyes of any others) but, somehow, A’mal seems less...judgemental. Like she wouldn’t care if I was a mess (which I am), or if I was haunted by the darkest, most secretive thoughts (which I am), or if I was coming apart at the seams (again, which I am). I feel like the dragon is much more simple than that; good versus bad, and kind versus mean, where there is only black and white with no complicated gray.

It is strangely comforting to, at last, be grouped into a more favorable light.

I grin more genuinely towards A’mal now, my attention lingering on the creature even when the russet mare continues. I hear something about a key and wings—none of it is really making any sense. After spending my entire life among the same sands, sequestered among the others of my harem, it is difficult for me to imagine a meager key being able to give me wings that will allow me to fly. It’s just all a bit hard to swallow.

Soon the other woman is placing her key into a pillar, and asking if I’m ready to try this impossible thing she’s just described.

“Um,” I hesitate, shifting my weight as I lean backwards, dragging the length of my hair through the grainy sands. Suddenly I’m wondering what I’ve gotten myself into. If Najya had been any less welcoming, I might have very well turned around right there, and not looked back. However, she is kind, and while I’m not necessarily driven to make her happy, I definitely don’t want to hurt her feelings. So I suck in a deep breath, trying to work past the tightness in my throat. “Ready as I’ll ever be,” my voice is soft and fragile, mirroring my eyes as I cast them out across the ocean, eyeing the distant island cautiously.

notes; I'm sorry if it doesn't make sense, I feel like I rambled :3
“Speech.”

base | color & coding
@Najya