the Rift

[PRIVATE] Come here often?

Isopia the Mountain That Knows Posts: 780
Dragon's Throat Apostle atk: 6.5 | def: 10 | dam: 8.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: 3 - is now aging slowly HP: 90 | Buff: NUMB
Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd

Isopia

When the water spills, the glass will break
It drips like tears, running up your face

[Set like a week after Kaos thread + HF going away] @Tembovu

It was interesting, being homeless.

Initially, Isopia thought she would take to it. She had always more or less rebelled against the obligations and responsibilities that herd life had presented to her. As a Storyteller for the Falls, she used her rank magic for personal gain and almost never completed her seasonal summons. Or at least, when she did, her Father mostly wanted to talk about personal matters such that it didn't really benefit the herd. As a leader, well .. she did make an effort, but all she really succeeded in doing was being the first leader in history to have a God turn down a herd quest, and start a feud between her herd and arguably the most powerful other herd, and all of this completely unknowingly! She and Aly had reconciled and all was seemingly forgotten and in the past, but it was worth mentioning that her track record with completing tasks was not spotless. In fact, the only duties she'd ever diligently performed were the warrior seasonal spars, and yet she'd never even been a warrior.

So really, being an outcast should have suited her.

But .. it didn't.

She felt restless. Listless. With her memories of the child that she had murdered erased from her memory, there was nothing to tie her to the Hidden Falls anything. Sure, she'd built herself a hut and a hot-tub there, but those were just physical objects. She could build them again - anywhere in fact.

"So...where to?" She asked Hubris, glancing towards the bronze who was currently sitting in the middle of the meadow, picking flower petals from their stems.

Image by Tamme!

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
Tembovu & Mbwene
The Elephant King was outside of the now-glass-protected borders. Though he was thorough enchanted with his newborn daughter, there were things that pressed on the stallion’s mind. Things that pressed so hard that they pushed him outside the Edge for some sort of reprieve.

There was unrest in the Edge—mostly from his stealth ranks. But Mauja’s continued absence (even after ‘rescuing’ him from the crevasse) and the worrying lack of robust warriors disturbed the King. Especially now that Koas dwelled in Helovia’s west, closer than he would have liked to the Edge… and after the griffin’s attack on the foals.

The King shook his head slightly at the thought of foals, pressure building once again within his skull despite his distance from the misted cliffs. Safiri, his small sweetling daughter, was not doing well. She was small, frail even. There was no doubt to the King that, in Dorobo, the child would not have survived past her first few days.

But here, in Helovia, there were healers to aid her. They aided her birth, and now… now they ensured that she came to after her fainting spells. But everyone of them left the King unnerved and alarmed. Perhaps it had been masculine arrogance that had lulled him into the false security of expecting health foals; all his progeny, thus far, had been healthy—

Mountain.

Mbwene’s single word cut through his tumultuous, paternal thoughts. Mountain? They were in the Thistle Meadow. There were no mountains here. His navy eyes flicked to her, ready to dismiss her random interruption—though it was unusual of her. He snorted once, Mbwene’s insistent, No. Mountain, only adding to the pressure in his skull.

And then the image of a large, bronze-splotched, skull-marked dragon flashed (rather painfully, due to his headache and Mwbene’s irritation) through their bond.

Oh. Mountain.

His great skull rose, rather slowly, fully feeling every ounce of of massive, heavy horn. Navy eyes, mildly creased at the corners from pain, looked in the direction of Mbwene’s gesturing trunk.

There she was: the Mountain that Knows. The demigoddess. A fallen Czarina—but one that had been so moved to do right by her herd. And, for that, the King held no grudge against the woman. A soft, short sigh pushed out of his nostrils as he studied her; the mismatched wings, the gleaming gold horns, the surprisingly expressive gold eyes for how…pragmatic the mare seemed.

“Hello, Mountain,” was his deep rumble of greeting, choosing her epithet as he vaguely remembered (after many nights of mulling their spar over in his mind) her bristle the moment he spoke her name. The King was not seeking a fight, here. So he paused, thick black tail swaying around his ivory hocks, all the while his navy gaze studying Isopia’s face, or profile, or whatever she would allow him to canvass.

And then, of all the many many things they could discuss, he simply asked, “How does the vagabond life treat you?” At least, he assmued the Mountain was herdless, now that the God of the Earth no longer championed the Falls... He sighed, further looking at Isopia. Small talk was just that: small. But the greatest of all ideas begin with a single, small thought.

Mbwene, in turn, studied the flower-picking dragon. While her exoneration did not match that of her bonded’s, her grievances were with the Mountain. Not her companion. So, slowly—almost hesitantly, but the matriarch was too proud for that—her round feet shuffled towards the flowerbed Hubris picked.

Bright blue eyes watched him, studying his clawed hands that petal-picked for a moment. Then, dexterously, her trunk reached out to pluck a flower for him to remove the petals from—only to jerk her trunk back with a startled, angry, pained trumpet. At first, she curled it in it a tight ball, before slowly raising it in front of her, revealing a rather large thorn sticking out of its tip. A soft, hurt chuff came from her lips, eyes darting to the bronze dragon and then quickly away.

@Isopia ...I don't know why it got so long. Tembovu the Rambling King.

Please tag Tembovu.

Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd

Isopia

Like Mbwene, it was Hubris who noticed the approaching duo first. Instead of saying a name, the dragon instead pulsed thoughts of mist and cliffs, and the raging elephant that had threatened to tear her apart. Despite these memories and the recognition that they created, Isopia felt no anger or surprise even. She'd been wondering when she would bump into Tembovu again. Given how long it had taken for the two giants to meet in the first place, Isopia assumed that they would meet again fairly shortly after their first encounter, if only to balance the scales slightly.

The demigoddess turned, slightly-slanted golden eyes appraising the massive king as he moved towards her. She noted that he was almost graceful as he walked, though perhaps that was because his movements previously had been punctuated by duty and kingly-obligation.

"Elephant King." She returned, pleased mildly that he was using her self-proclaimed moniker, rather than the name her father had simply shouted for all to hear. It immediately lulled her into some false sense of peace, or camaraderie perhaps, for better or worse. Hubris trilled a happy and bright yellow to the smaller elephant, dropping the flower he'd been holding and turning immediately to gaze upon her. She'd seemed slightly crossed during the battle between their two bonded's, but the dragon assumed that had more to do with context and the circumstances of the fight, than anything that he might have specifically done. More than ready to let bygones by bygones, he grinned a toothy grin and waved towards her, sea-blue eyes sparkling happily. As she neared, profering the flower, Hubris' smile bloomed like the flower she was currently holding. Though as an angry sounded trumpeted from her, Hubris recoiled slightly - defensively - before peering forward with an anxious and worried gaze. He looked at the flower, wondering if there had been a bee or something similiar within its petals, which is when he saw the thorn. The dragon's eyes moved up Mbwene's trunk, trying to find her gaze to offer a reassuring one of his own. Gently, he reached a clawed hand forward, clacking his nailed together almost like tweezers, as if to indicate his intent. Trying to be as dexterous as possible, Hubris grabbed the thorn, and gently pulled.

Meanwhile, Isopia listened carefully for a hint of malice, or I-told-you-so, in the King's voice. He more or less implied that she didn't know what to do as a ruler, and now here she was without a thrown. However she heard none. Even though she did not have a particularly good ear for subliminal conversational cues, she trusted herself to know that he did not seem as though he was rubbing her Father's recent failures in her face.

Failures, which by by extension, likely were also her own to bear.

"I'm not sure it suits me. I have never lived outside of a herd before. Perhaps it just takes some getting used to...?" Her voice trailed off, indicating that she wasn't entirely sure of the truth of this claim, nor whether or not she believed it.
"Living in the lands lorded over by my Father always felt ... like nepotism, but in the worst way; without any benefits and with all the obligations. I'm sure others did not see it that way, but it seemed like it to me. Living free from his oppressive shadow might do me good, even if it means being homeless."

The word homeless dropped off her tongue like a stone, pulled down by a weight and bitterness that she hadn't anticipated or intended. She had been born into this world because of him. She'd been placed into numerous positions of authority she hadn't wanted because of him. And now she was homeless, because of him.

Image by Tamme!

@Tembovu

Tembovu & Mbwene
Mbwene’s trunk instinctively jerked away from Hubris’ pincher-like talons as they reached out. Not because she didn’t trust him (well, she didn’t entirely mistrust him), but because the thorn in her trunk hurt, and his claws were awfully sharp. Her bright blue eyes jerked to his sea-blues, wide and uncertain as she hovered her injured trunk just out of his reach for a few, short half-seconds.

And then she, slowly, pushed her thorn-imbedded appendage towards his waiting, bronze claws. Ow. A soft, quiet toot left her trunk as he pulled the thorn free; and she jerked her trunk back to her face, close to her eyes so that she could carefully scrutinize the wound.

Satisfied that it was, indeed, free of all offending material, she trumpeted happily. Bright, crinkled blue eyes looked back to the bronze dragon, all hesitance gone as she thrust her trunk towards his wings, wanting to inspect and feel their leathery (but soft-looking) texture.

Meanwhile, the Elephant King disregarded his companion’s antics. His attention was wholly focused on the Mountain. Despite the relative pleasant greetings exchanged, there was (perhaps understandably) some residual tension that tightened the other-wise relaxed and amiable Elephant’s withers. There were many things said during their spar—barbs of logic and seeds of rationale the Mountain had said that now, faced with her slitted gold eyes, returned to needle his mind once again. ’Stealing from an outcast’; ’The Edge benefited from their crimes…’; ‘stealing is a legitimate…’ All phrases that hadn’t quite settled well with the King, a man of strong beliefs and relatively reliable moral compass.

So, needless to say, there were plenty of undercurrents running through the Elephant. His ears tilted towards her as he listened to everything she said closely, navy eyes watchful even as his face was relaxed into casual amiability. And her words—perhaps it was the uneasy paternal instinct raging in him from Safiri’s condition. Or perhaps it bled through from their spar, where he had been a father searching for his missing son.

Or, perhaps the Elephant King was a big softy, deep down.

Regardless, the giant stallion’s heavy head tilted slightly as she spoke so with such open, candid honesty. There are many natures that would, after defeat, seek to put their best self forward; to disguise and shortcomings beneath boasts or euphemisms; to create an appearance of quality importance.

Isopia, however, did not.

Slowly, in the face of such honesty, the tension melted away from the King’s shoulders. A slight grin curved up the corners of his pale muzzle and eased the painful creases in the dark skin around his eyes. The mare, though as large as he, spoke words that hinted towards a lack of guidance with too much expectation. A burden too heavy without the teaching or training to carry it. A lonely, tired existence—in ways, more lonely than being homeless.

‘Nepotism’?” his deep voice questioned, head cocking slightly. Not asking how she felt that her existence in the Falls was as such, but asking what the word truly meant, “Before King, I was a general, not a wordsmith,” an easy, warm, lopsided grin slipped across his dark, thick lips, inviting the Mountain to not only educate him, but also find the humor in the King’s disadvantage.

After a long pause, the King then broached the substance of her words. “As a father, I can say that we wish the best for our children,” he paused, eyes searching her gold, “Though, perhaps our hopes turn into expectations of success. And that can be a heavy load for any child to bear.”

He sighed, eyes drifting to Mbwene as his tail swayed in the meadow’s lush, Birdsong growth, realizing that he, himself, may place too much expectation—particularly on the precocious and dark Zubari. “You are a good warrior, Isopia—” he paused, gaze flicking to hers as he slipped and used her name rather than her moniker, “—Exceptional, even. And your mind—” he shifted, thinking, “You do what you believe is right, which can be a hard quality to find in another.”

A long breath pushed out of his chest, before he continued, “What I mean to say, Mountain, is that you are welcome in the Edge, should you wish for a home… I would be glad to have you.” His last phrase dropped the royal ‘we’ of the Edge, instead simply saying what he, the Elephant, felt.

@Isopia

Please tag Tembovu.

Isopia

Although he knows he is causing her pain, Hubris does not flinch from his duties and tries to remove the thorn as quickly and precisely as possible. Her happy toot sends a toothy grin rocketing across his bronzey muzzle and he quickly dispenses the thorn, point down, into the earth where it won't be able to cause any more harm.

As Mbwene's trunk comes towards his wings, he allowed them to open and flex so that she can both feel their strength and flexibility. Although he knows how dexterous and almost finger-like an elephant's trunk is, he is shocked by just how gentle and sensitive the pointed pinkish grey flesh is. Because of her size, he expected her touches to be far bulkier and harsher than they were.

A large white flower blossomed nearby, and almost without thinking, Hubris grabbed it by its stem and pulled. He held it before the pachyderm, meaning to show her that there were no thorns to be seen, and then set about trying to place it gently behind her ear.  

Isopia nodded almost routinely as Tembovu indicated his lack of understanding. She was used to this by now, inadvertently using words others didn't understand, and immediately supplied the answer without any note of frustration or impatience at having to do so. "It means giving preferential treatment to family members, using in the context of a job or rank." She replied, her voice finding its familiar academic cadence easily. She didn't return his smile though, but only partially because she didn't notice it. Instead, her reciting of the definition of nepotism only made her feel all the more stupid for allowing herself to be pulled along by her Father's bad decisions.

"I know my Father is not infallible." She began, and then realized that perhaps infallible might have been a word too rich for the former-general, and so supplemented its meaning in her next breath. "That is, I know he can make mistakes. I know that he often does, but I went along with it anyways." Her quad-horned head shook. "Perhaps I am just as much to blame." She admitted, perhaps more to herself than to Tembovu, for her eyes snapped back up to his, as if only just remembering that she was not alone in this discussion.

As he mentioned...well, what were likely meant to be compliments, Isopia could feel herself want to turn away - to drop her gaze and find some reason to cut his description of her short. But perhaps it was the paternal air about him that held her still, and though she hated the fact that he'd said her name, coupled with what he took her achievements to be, she kept silent and did her best to keep her gaze level.

What I mean to say, Mountain, is that you are welcome in the Edge, should you wish for a home… I would be glad to have you.

She hadn't been expecting that. Like her conversation with Aly, she took this chance meeting to be more of a ... a clearing of the air. Isopia blinked. "I was born in the Edge.." She said slowly, unsure if Tembovu knew that about her. Though he very likely did. Kings knew those things after all. "And the Moon Goddess is the reason that I am alive.." She continued, her voice trailing off. If he didn't know what she meant by that, that was a fair longer conversation. But perhaps he did know. Her words acted like some sort of conceptual bridge that she wanted to cross - a bridge that was meant to link Isopia, with Edge.

"The day we f-" She was going to say fought, but that suddenly seemed so unnecessarily aggressive in this new context they found themselves in. "-the day of the challenge, I could hear members of your herd unhappy with my choice, disapproving of me." Her words were clear, and there was no indication that Isopia had been emotionally wounded by the unseen voices come through the mist. But she knew from literally all her days on this earth, that her presence was not always welcome. She was after all, not the easiest to be around.

"I am not always the easiest to be around, despite my efforts." She continued, voicing her inner monologue. "I had thought I was being polite the day I spoke with Alysanne. And we both know how that turned out." She finished. Now it was her turn for a smile to creep onto her features, inviting the King now to laugh at her.

[OMG SHUT UP THE BOTH OF YOU. THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A SHORT THREAD WTF.]

Image by Tamme!

@Tembovu

Tembovu & Mbwene
Mbwene’s trunk explored the leathery membrane of Hubris’s wings, delicately tracing the vessels that pulsed and blocked the light that showed mutedly through the rest of the thin, but strong, membrane. It’s clear, from her shining blue eyes, that’s she’s fascinated by them. Though Chico had similar wings, she was always drawn to his thick, plush mane. Hubris had no such luscious locks to distract her—though she was interested in the soft, flexible flesh beneath his wing joint. It was far softer than any other skin she’d touched thus far with her exploring trunk—

And then she gave a short, surprised toot as the bronze dragon’s dextrous claws placed a white flower behind her large flap of an ear. Her eyes twinkled as her trunk left Hubris’s scales to inspect and smell the sweet, pale flower now beside her skull. Her wrinkled grey lips curled up in a smile, before promptly puckering with purpose as her eyes hunted the abundantly flowering shrubbery around them.

Finding the red-veined leaves she was searching for, her trunk yanked out the bulbous, red roots and she promptly squashed them beneath her round feet. The plant’s bright scarlet pigment quickly began to stain her wrinkled grey skin, but she didn’t seem to mind. Instead, she turned her attention to Hubris’s wing once again, globbing a hunk of the crimson color on her trunk-tip and reaching out. Should he allow, she would begin to paint a design on the membraneous parts of his appendage—a symbol that had leaked from her bonded’s past; one that had happiness ingrained in each line and curve.

A lopsided grin crossed his muzzle as the Mountain supplied the meaning of ’infallible,’ “That’s one I know—I, too, am not infallible,” his deep voice rumbled with hint of a warmly amused chuckle. But the warmth faded as he continued, “I have made many mistakes, likely more than your father…” he paused, navy eyes looking away as Sanaa’s news of Dorobo’s current unrest settled around him; of the current unrest in the Edge, Elsa’s deep-rooted hate for him, Hawezi’s absence, Safiri’s illness, Zubari’s bitterness, Kiada’s manipulation, Kianzo hostility, Mauja’s burns, Tsavo’s isolation…

A long breath pushed out of his dark nostrils, deep navy eyes watching the antics of their companions—which would have been amusing if his mind was not so full (the ache was returning to his plague his poll). “Perhaps it is better to find a solution than to place the blame,” was his low, quiet rumble—as much to himself as to the Mountain beside him.

His attention was drawn outward, once again caught off-guard by Isopia’s candid sharing. “The Moon Goddess kept you alive?” His deep voice was clearly surprised, as he parroted her frank statement, dark brows raising in question. What history did Isopia share with the Edge and their patron, beautiful, manipulative goddess?

Finally, another long breath breath pushed out of his chest as the Mountain rightfully remembered the discord of herd members the day of their challenge. Sigh too much, was Mbwene’s distracted, matriarchal chide through their bond. A rueful, lopsided grin crossed his muzzle—the refreshing, blunt practicality of his companion often grounded the man when too many problems and issues folded in on him.

With his thick lips still curved up, his gaze roved back to Isopia’s bright gold. Again, his deep rumbled tolled, though this time not quiet. It was firm, calm, and assured, “Being a leader—or doing what you think is right—will often make others ’unhappy’ with your choices. There are those in the Edge that dislike me,” he chuckled, somewhat blackly, before continuing, “But, as I said, you are welcome in my herd.” He paused, shifting slightly, “I find you easy to be around, now. It is not a requirement to be an always-pleasant individual to live in the Edge. On the contrary, I think the Moon Goddess may smite you, if you were.” And, with that, he ended on a low, deep chuckle.

@Isopia

The symbol Mbwene is painting on Hubris is #2, it's the 'joined hearts' (although Mbwene doesn't know that). She's also using beets to paint with (because yes, there are magically beetroots immediately available to her).

Permission given to shoot me for taking so long.

I can post a thread bringing Iso to the Edge now or after you respond? OR your next post can be in the Edge. WHATEVER YOU WANT BB

Please tag Tembovu.

Isopia

Hubris' jaws open, agape with surprise and delight, as he is painted on. Rarely does he get to interact with others around him, for Isopia's interactions with them are usually brief and almost never friendly. That he has had this long to enjoy the small elephant's company is amazing enough in itself. That she would give him this gift - this living painting upon his body - almost reduces him to tears of joy. He has nothing with which to reciprocate, but he embeds the idea in his mind, and vows that should inspiration ever strike, he will repay Mbwene for her affections. When she is finished, Hubris tilts his wing out so that he will not smear her drawing, and moves to embrace her. She is larger than he is of course, and so he tries to wrap his arms around one of her large forelegs, careful to keep his wing well out of the way. He trills something into her ashen skin, and although their languages are far too different for her to understand him, the sound is universe in its loving and appreciative quality.

Perhaps it is better to find a solution than to place the blame. Isopia considers this silently, nodding her head in agreement. She'd never thought of it in that way before - her mind has always been focused on finding answers. Solutions always seemed irrelevant when it came to the truth. But perhaps she could learn something from Tembovu's pragmatism.

His question makes her bob her head once again, and internally she is somewhat surprised to know that he does not know this part of the Moon's past. "She killed my brother, Hototo, the Earth's first child. If it weren't for that, I would have never been conceived. My life is as much of a result as her, as it is my Father." Her words are simple, but clipped. She knows she's supposed to be less cold when speaking of family - that's just how these things go - and yet she just can't seem to make her tongue say the words with the appropriate emotional inflection. She does think of her life as merely cause and effect and feels almost nothing for her parents, the way that a child should.

Tembovu mentions being a leader, in the context of others not liking you, and Isopia briefly wonders if perhaps now that she is not a lead and no longer living in the land occupied by her father, if the tolerance of others will slip even farther with regards to her odd behaviour. It doesn't necessarily bother her that this might be the case, but she prepares herself for it to be so nonetheless.

"I accept your offer, King." She says finally, using his title as her way of recognizing his positional authority over her now. Isopia is more than aware that her political power is gone, and that the structure of the Edge is different from that of the (former) Falls. Then, as Hubris looked up and trilled at her, she added, "Thank you."

I AM JUST AN EAGER BEAVER THAT IS ALL. I WILL POST :D :D

@Tembovu

Image by Tamme!