the Rift

[OPEN] i ain't afraid of no ghosts

Azulee Posts: 62
Dragon's Throat Warrior atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 hands :: 6 years :: Orangemoon HP: 65.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Valda

Ebon wings flush out wide from peppered flanks, probing the vast blue yonder that merely swallows the dark little bird cloaked in thunder. She has left the Threshold with no more knowledge than she'd entered it, only the vague counsel of one who called themselves "sea soul": don't go back. Of course, that is just what the Ardent's daughter will do.

South she goes, to her once-home in a dragon's throat. Thin air needles her nostrils, quivering with notes of nostalgia; smells that bring her back into the body of a child, remind her of her youth. She chases it, teeth like piano keys peeled to the wind. The cool morning air preens feathers bared to its embrace, cradling the currents rushing swiftly under her, around her, unto her. They ripple against her belly and whistle through the windswept tendrils of a dread-locked mane, black hair whipping fiercely against storm-painted shoulders. 

Azulee, feral as the electricity that writhes betwixt her feathers like glowing, hissing serpents, pays no heed to borders. She will see if the unicorn's claims holds truth. Last she remembers, all those with wings are welcome here, so she bypasses the bridge. Titan's wings angle downward, navigating the thermals in such a way that brings her swiftly down, lion's tail ruttering behind her. She joins with the sand in a grand golden spray, furling her wings to her sides as voltaic eyes search the red waste for signs of life: those little black scarabs stirring on the horizon. Azulee curls her cleft toes into the ever-warming sand, reacquainting herself with a childhood friend. Distant silhouettes melt in the sleepy-eyed sun... is that the ghost of Azzuen stirring at the edge of the world? Azulee decides it is so—afterall, this is his tomb.

She lifts her nose to the breeze, inhaling deeply, and waits. In the waxing hours of dawn, the air still chilly with the leftovers of a cold night, Azulee breathes a thin wreathe of smoke into the air. The wind caresses the curves of her boyish figure with spidery fingers, and it carries with it a lament for the return of the electric daughter in the absence of her loved ones.

Yet, its song bodes great promise, and warns of great trials. 

i've got your wild-eyed ways.

credits

hard mode—HP: 65/65

physical force and magic is permitted to be used on Azulee at any time provided it does not involve powerplay (unless specified otherwise); please contact me before attempting to kill.
please tag me!

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

V O L T E R R A
IF IT FEELS GOOD, TASTES GOOD, IT MUST BE MINE
HEROES ALWAYS GET REMEMBERED BUT YOU KNOW LEGENDS NEVER DIE

It's Vadir who first spots the trespasser, who alerts her bonded and sends him galloping through the Throat's chilly dawn air, limbs thundering against the ground like the impending rumbles of an earthquake. He is in battle mode immediately; muscles flexing, hulking hindquarters bunching and propelling himself forwards, both dragons by his side and eyes searching for the intruder. He is the Gladiator, and the herd's first line of protection lies squarely on his broad shoulders.

Sand sprays in a dusty cloud as the Indomitable slams on his brakes and skids to a halt in front of the winged newcomer. Sweat makes his black flesh twinkle, his thick muscles roiling and bulking as his breathing regulates itself from his run. With a hiss, Vadir lands heavily on his back, her scales gleaming beautifully in the dawn sunlight. Vérzés, having missed out on the prime spot on his bonded's back, contents himself with circling the duo like a crimson bodyguard.

The leviathan finally allows himself to observe the stranger. It is a winged mare, boyish and well-built; it is only Volterra's professionalism and urge to protect his herd that prevents the stallion inside from launching his gaze across her. No, he must assess her as a potential danger, not a potential screw, and he does so quickly and coldly; large wings, lightning markings and a sizzling of static around her, hints of good breeding. "You are bold, to fly directly into the Dragon's Throat," he rumbles, his voice the deep baritone that quite matches his size and hulking presence. He allows himself to relax slightly, realising that he may have been hasty in assuming she is here to attack. She could be here to join, and simply doesn't know the etiquette of not flying right in - it is only the warlord in Volterra that naturally jumped to the initial conclusion.

He schools his handsome face into neutrality. "Might I ask what brings you here?"

image credits

@Azulee

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Valda

One of those dark shapes in the distance seems to have taken notice of the storm daughter, and comes to life. It charges toward her as she makes her descent, ever closer, and Azulee bares her titan's wings to half-mast, the peaks of static-wreathed feathers sweeping the sand. It is a defensive motion; a display of weaponry, the blunt and muscular shapes of the woman's mighty wings surely not to be disregarded. She arcs her neck, dark hair tumbling about the panes of a dauntless face. 

No, it is not Azzuen. Though his stout black form, juxtaposed against the red-orange desert, surely evokes the image of her late father if not for his lack of wings. And he is much taller too, the extent of his size only finally evident as he skids to a halt before her. She takes a moment to scrutinize him; a warrior if she'd ever seen one. 

The virgin woman warrior draws her posture tall (though this stallion nearly dwarfs her in height; the little bird hardly seems to notice, meeting his gaze confidently with wings still unveiled). She peers up at the serpent circling the air above them and feels the tension in her muscles wake arcs of static into reality. The creatures of spark wait for a signal to burst into life, for now a small orb incubating above her head. Surely, if he means hostility, he would have attacked by now, but she finds herself on guard anyway. It had been some time she'd be here last, and to be greeted by an equine was unexpected. 

He speaks, and Azulee smiles coyly. "Yes." she says dryly, the slender dishes of her ears trained forward and her face stoic. "I wanted to see what manner of horse protect her borders; I'm not disappointed." It is true Azulee has always preferred the company of her own kind, but this one seems as capable as any to defend the herd, and her words are genuine.

What brings you here?

A fair question, but one she's had to answer too many times. Ever restless, Azulee has come back to Dragon's Throat more than a few times, only to leave just as many. Before, such a question would have wrong-footed the wayward daughter, but now she does not hesitate. "I was born here," she drawls, anchoring her gaze upon him and breathing heavily. Her voice is a heavy thing, somewhat solemn and yet strong; the fire-slayer's granddaughter is determined to prove herself. To whom? She isn't certain. All she knows is that she feels some sort of debt, to her father and mother and sister, and all those ghosts of the past that haunt her. "My father was General, and I wish to follow in his steps as a warrior. But I have questions: who rules here? And what are your laws?"

credits

@volterra

physical force and magic is permitted to be used on Azulee at any time provided it does not involve powerplay (unless specified otherwise); please contact me before attempting to kill.
please tag me!

Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

V O L T E R R A

She flares her wings slightly, greatly increasing her size and posture, although Volterra remains unflinching and steadfast in the face of the display. He does note, however, that her wings are far larger than he's ever seen on a pegasus before, even though they are not fully extended; he wonders how she can bear the bulk of them when they're tucked against her sides, as they must surely be cumbersome when she isn't using them in the air. He has never understood wings, though. Flying unnerves him greatly, as evidenced by his short flight with Isopia and his countless forays into the minds of his dragons whilst they dart through the air - he is a landlubber and proud.

Her words causes a small smirk to flicker onto his lips, unbidden; I am not disappointed. He can't help it, the boost to his ego makes his muscles quiver with pleasure, although he keeps his face as a white mask save for the traitorous smirk that has forced its way into place. "I am glad that I meet with your approval," he rumbles. She continues, explaining that she was born here and that her father used to be the General. Now the Indomitable's interest is truly piqued, and his ears dart forwards to display this fact. "Who was your father?" Could it be the man whom Volterra was handed the position instead of when Sikeax asked him to join?

Her revelation that she wishes to be a warrior makes the smirk widen, and his eyes roam freely across her again, scrutinising her now as an ally rather than an enemy. "A warrior, you say? I am the herd's Gladiator, in charge of the soldiers who reside here. My name is Volterra." His swift assessment tells him that she would fit in absolutely fine within his ranks, but he is not the sort to offer such a compliment so freely.

She continues with questions of her own, which intrigues the mammoth warlord. If she truly is a spy on a reconnaissance mission then perhaps it is unwise of him to answer them, but there's little he can tell her that would truly compromise the herd. "Our Sultana is a woman by the name of Aithniel the Inquisitor, daughter of the Sun God himself. We have no Sultan, not since Gaucho's passing." He is sure this woman will know who Gaucho is, unless she has been gone for an extremely long time or has been living under a rock. "As for our rules...which ones would you like to know about in particular?" Their attitude to racism, perhaps, or what warriors were and were not allowed to do?

image credits

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]

Valda

Who was your father?
She's glad he asks. Her bosom swells with pride, and longing; the pain of a daughter orphaned. She breathes heavily, and gives her answer.

"Azzuen, the Ardent. Who battled to acquire these lands on behalf of the Tuuli, and the mare Kri." Azulee has no memory of it, but she's commit the stories to mind since she was a yearling, before her sister became estranged from her. The filly Cirrus told her many stories, filled her head with tales of her fierce grandmother, the fireslayer, and of her lover the weaponmaster; of her uncle the samurai, who wielded a katana, and of course her father, who inherited Azureus' spear when he pulled it from his mother's chest. It is their blood that electrifies her veins, and all of them had a certain courage to die. And there are two kinds of courage, surely; the courage to live, also. Azulee hopes to harness both, when the time comes. She hasn't decided yet if she believes in fate. For her late father, it appeared as though his time had simply run out, and so she can't be sure of such things. But in the midst of her angst, life is happening, and she swats her tail as if to rid herself of it.

The stallion presents himself as Gladiator, and the storm daughter's ears prick forward. How perfect. She regards him cooly, her neck still arced the way it so often is. It's mostly instinct now, this stance of power that she chooses. "My name is Azulee, and I am glad to meet you. I thought you'd be a harder man to find." A smile splits her inky lips. Fate? or Coincidence? Perhaps a little bit of both. But such a notion was somewhat ridiculous, considering it is the duty of a general (or gladiator, as he calls himself) to patrol the herd's border. She keeps her wings bared, just in case he means to test her fitness. She would revel in it; it has been a long time since she's exercised herself in such a way, pitted against the body of another. This particularly body would prove a challenge, what with his size and his dragons. She's wary of his serpents, and imagines them singing her flesh and feathers... But she's game, if only for the experience such an opponent could give her.

He introduces the leader of this place as Aithniel... the Inquisitor. Azulee chews on the name a bit. But without a face or any knowledge of this demi-god, it means mostly nothing to her. Perhaps this is the woman the sea-soul claimed to be so fond of dead men's cocks.

The name Gaucho strikes a chord with her, however. She served under the stallion for a short time a few years ago and couldn't claim to know much about him. This brings her to realize just how poor of a warrior she'd been before, how standoffish and negligent she's been to this herdland into which her mother bore her and her family has shed so much blood in the name of. She blinks. For what it was worth, Gaucho had been a fair leader, and she respected him. "I'm sorry to hear of his death," is all she is able to offer. She is reminded of her own father, buried in the sand. 

"Is Aithniel a fair sultana?" An important question. Of course this stallion may be biased, but there's no harm in asking the opinion of her chief warrior. Azulee will likely hold his opinion in higher regard than their leader's, anyway, but she won't say so so blatantly. Finally, she reigns her wings in a bit.

He asks her what laws she is interested in most, and thinks for a moment. "I'm interested in the duties of a warrior; how often must we patrol, and what is expected?; the attitude on prisoners—" Her mother had been stolen by the unicorns of the Aurora Basin once, and was not treated particularly kindly. This one is important to her "—and how trespassers are to be dealt with." She tilts her head a bit, her final words spiced with a touch of jest. Her tail whirs absently at her haunches, and she feels, for the first time in a long time, a bit of weight lifted off her. 

credits

@Volterra

please tag me!

V O L T E R R A

Azzuen, the Ardent. Volterra has not heard of him, but the fact he has a secondary name implies that he was somebody of note, as evidenced by the leviathan's own Indomitable title. She reveals that her sire battled to claim these lands alongside a woman named Kri, and the behemoth's eyes widen despite himself. This is history beyond anything he's ever heard of, because for his entire lifetime Gaucho had ruled the Throat. He wonders how many residents of the Throat remember such a time, the years before the Wildfire burned bright here.

The stallion's innate curiosity overrides his desire to appear aloof and uninterested. "That is a rich history you speak of. Gaucho ruled here for a number of years - I am not sure there are many here who remember a time before his reign." He lifts a handsome sculpted brow, his interest truly piqued. He hopes she will elaborate, educate his greedy ears with further tidbits of information about the history of this land to which he has pledged his sword. There is a certain level of irony to this situation that is entirely lost on Volterra - he cannot possibly know that, countless years ago, his great-grandfather Morgue the Womanizer had joined a herd led by Azulee's great-grandmother, Naryl the Fireslayer. The two had never seen eye to eye, yet their lines have met again now in roles somewhat reversed. Alas, this meaty history regarding his bloodline is not known to the titan, and thus he cannot question whether it is known to her, either.

She introduces herself as Azulee, and he files the name to memory. "If you decide to join us as one of our warriors, I will be more than happy to test your abilities." That burning crimson gaze of his darts across her again, knowing how difficult it is to fight winged opponents. Those massive appendages of hers could be used as a weapon, of that he's fairly sure. It would be a challenge, but even though the muscled Gladiator is a bona-fide warlord now, he is always keen to test himself against new kinds of opponents.

Judging by her apology about the news of Gaucho's death, Volterra can assume that she also knew him, perhaps even served beneath him. She then asks if Aithniel is a fair Sultana, and the stallion pauses to contemplate the question. Considering he has had a child with the woman, there is a lot about the Inquisitor he still does not know. He is loyal to her and to this land, and he has a definite level of appreciation for her untamed, fiery beauty and the strong son she bore for him, but truthfully he has no real ideas about her personality. She is still his Sultana, however, and he is honour-bound to defend her, even if a little Sikeax-shaped figure in his head makes him feel almost guilty for it. "I would say she is fair, yes. She is not afraid to stand up for her beliefs or to fight against a regime she deems unacceptable, and whilst she is relatively new to the role, I have faith in her." The honesty is open, gaping, raw. Aithniel had fought to take the herd from Sikeax when she disagreed with the Sea Soul's leadership; Volterra might not have approved of it, given that Sikeax is his friend, but he can still appreciate the meaning behind it. She had also fought against Kaos when many others retreated, and had stood up for them against the missionaries from the Basin. Fair is a subjective word, but Volterra believes in her.

"Everybody in the herd is assigned a patrol in one of the neutral lands every season, but I expect us warriors to patrol the Throat regularly to search for any potential threats. I also expect each of us to spar regularly in order to keep ourselves in prime condition - I suggest sparring against a variety of opponents both inside and outside the herd to ensure you have experience dealing with anything thrown in your path." Protection of the herd is paramount after all, even if its island status means that it is better protected than most herds. "Regarding prisoners, I confess that we have not had one during my time here. I would assume, however, that they would be held in relative comfort until such a time as they may be sentenced." In Volterra's humble opinion, cowardly thieves and child-murderers should be held in the highest amount of discomfort and torment, but alas, he does not make the rules, he only upholds them.

"With regards to trespassers..." He allows a small, amused smile to ghost across his handsome features, a reference to how he'd reacted to Azulee herself only a short time ago. "Approach with caution until you ascertain their reason for being here. Like yourself, they may be outcasts looking for a home....but remain on your guard in case they are not." His own muscles have only just begun to relax, having realised that this mare is not here to attack.

image credits

sudden word explosion :|

Valda

How quickly history is abandoned to oblivion, put to rest with those who forged it. Of course, the lightning child cannot remember such a time herself, but takes pride in her heritage, holding such accounts of her family's deeds dear to her heart. The star-breather Cassiopeia instilled this love of history in her, and made sure young Azulee knew well the chronicles of her ancestors. Her elder sister filled in the more gruesome details, which their lovely mother and her sensibilities would rather have spared. 

Volterra's words stroke her pride, and she lifts her nose a bit. She rarely shares the stories, guarding them jealously, but his interest seems piqued and so she continues. Her favorite tales are the ones of battles, and she remembers them the best. "I was born when Kri was the sultana, and it was her who led my father and many warriors to the World's Edge to drive out the unicorns, who thought their race superior." Azulee snorts harshly at the sentiment, her voice fraught with sarcasm as she shakes her dread-locked mane out about storm-painted shoulders. "and they retreated to the north, where they remain, as far as I know." Stormy blue eyes drift from her company as she gives said shoulders a slow shrug. She feels as though she's rambling, skeptical of whether he will appreciate this anecdote of long-ago battles and struggles of power nearly as much as she does.

"My mother was Diviner. She loved her stories," she explains. She shifts her weight from one hind hoof to the other and watches the stallion's face carefully with a suddenly heavy gaze. 

They move on to more present matters, and she is thankful for it. As she expected, the Gladiator expresses his desire to test her ability as a fighter. Lightning maiden lifts her posture once again, static sizzling in the crevices of her wings and around her cleft hooves. "Now?" she questions, her voice eager. It seems as good a time as any. At this point she's made her mind up on serving Dragon's Throat—the herd that's been the only place she could sort of call home... And even then it feels like a farce. The young woman grows tired of it, of never truly making a name for herself, and while she prefers never to belong to anything or anyone but herself, she's bored of going adrift through her life.

He answers her question as expected. She appreciates his loyalty, but takes it with a grain of salt. She thinks back to the counsel she received in the Threshold. If it is true, that a blind mob and imprudent leader reign over Dragon's Throat, Azulee is uncertain if she will stay. Regardless of where she was born, her family is gone and the only thing really keeping her here at all is a queer sense of sentimentality that doesn't mean much in the long run. She must prove herself worthy of her bloodline, and hone her skills; these are her priorities. "I hope to meet her soon," she says.

The next part of her briefing, she's heard before. Perhaps it was monotonous to have asked, but she has been gone a while and it doesn't hurt to be refreshed. She listens patiently, despite growing rather bored toward the end of it. When he finishes, she dips her nose in acknowledgement.

"Do you have any assignments for me, Gladiator?" She'd like to begin straight away.

credits

my muse died x.x
@volterra

please tag me!

V O L T E R R A

His brow quirks as the mare speaks of supremist unicorns. "Sounds rather like the modern-day Aurora Basin," he rumbles, vividly remembering the conversation Aithniel had had with the Basin's queen. Azulee confirms this by adding that the unicorns retreated to the north as a result of the invasion, and the pieces click suddenly into place - ah, that explains why the Basin holds the beliefs it does. Who would have thought that the Basin's racism stems from a time when they were driven from the Throat? Little wonder they tried to rip the wings from a young pegasus.

His jaws crease into a smile at her eagerness to begin the fight now. It is tempting, but he knows it would be unfair. He is rested, well-fed and accustomed to the Throat's sands now; she could well have travelled far on weary legs and wings, perhaps not eaten for a while, and it has been years since she last set foot on these shifting sands. He would prefer to fight her when it is more evenly-matched, as he prefers a challenge. "As much as I would love to cross swords with you now, I think it would be better for you to settle in first, get reacquainted with the land. Once you are settled and rested, then we may fight." It is a rare glimpse of the chivalry inside the goliath's black heart.

The mare asks about assignments, and the blackened Gladiator simply inclines his head as he ponders for a moment. "For now, your only assignment is to familiarise yourself with the Dragon's Throat. Much could have changed since the last time you were here, and it is important that you are accustomed to the ground you could be fighting on and the various nooks and crannies of our home that we could use against invading forces. Then, begin sparring as regularly as you can to ensure your body is in peak condition." He thinks for a second and then continues. "Attend all meetings called by myself and any other rank leaders, and get to know the rest of your herdmates. Aside from that....enjoy." He offers a broad smile.

image credits

@Azulee

Valda

Once you have settled and rested, then we may fight. Lightning child allows her muscles to unwind. At last her wings are tucked against her flanks, and she dips her head in acknowledgement. "I look forward to it!" she says. And she does! It has been too long since last she sparred, and she hopes to learn a great deal from her new gladiator.

As far as any tasks he might have for her, well.. he simply suggests she become familiar with her homeland once again. A part of her feels patronized (she knows this place like the bridge of her nose, afterall; she explored what felt like every inch of it since before she could fly) but he is right: it has been some time. "The desert is an old friend. I'm sure we will be reacquainted in no time." She offers him a smile and a dip of the head, voltaic eyes sparking with renewed energy, and stretches her wings out from her flanks. With a great thrust of ebon feathers, she launches herself into the sky, off to scout out the old haunts of her childhood.

/ exit Azulee. thank you, snow <3 just wanted to officially wrap this up

credits

@Volterra

please tag me!