the Rift

[PRIVATE] it'd be easy to pretend

Lyanna the Windswept Posts: 313
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 11 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 5 years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Kyra

let the winds erase me,

like the memory of a kiss

It is only after Kaos sends them away that she finally recalls what had happened as she’d been cleaning those damned bones in the first place. At the time, she’d let it be, knowing it would be better to talk to her King and Queen rather than making a decision on her own. So she’d played along with Toulouse, or should be she Barnabas’s, little charade. Truthfully, she mostly just ignored him. It was easier that way and she figured she’d be less likely to let her polite little mask slip and give it all away.

As far as she can tell, Maren still doesn’t know who Toulouse really is. Which in truth, Lyanna hates. It puts so much at jeopardy potentially should the Throat find out. It would be easy enough to pretend that she actually didn’t know who he really was, or what had really happened. But that wasn’t the plan Lyanna wanted to take.

No, she wanted to tell Aly or Tembovu. So today she sets out to find them, recalling how Hemlock or Mbwene had often found her. It makes her wish she had a companion to help her find her targets. Because really, tracking down the King and Queen can be pretty hit or miss. But she knows where they sometimes are, so she heads to the garden first, hoping maybe Alysanne still liked to linger there in her free time. She may not be a healer in title, but she certainly was in heart. If Aly’s not there, maybe she can find Tembovu on the cliffs.

If not....well. Well, she’ll just keep wandering. This is one of those moments she actually hates that so much of the Edge is a forest. It would be endlessly easier to spot them from the sky, but not with trees blocking her view. So she keeps walking, hoping to find one of them quickly.

lyanna

let these waters takes me

Image © Rhiaan

@Alysanne and/or @Tembovu pretty please.
@Iona can join if she wants too

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Kiki

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah
Although Alysanne was no longer a healer, not by official rank anyway, she still spent a lot of time in the greenhouse. Now that it was finished, especially, there was a lot of work to be done. They could actually keep plants in here now and they would die off during the winter. It would be so wonderfully handy to have some aloe vera nearby in the summer in case of sunburns and she was sure there was any number of other plants from the south of Helovia that they could collect and propagate.

Today, Alysanne wasn’t exactly working in the greenhouse so much as she was standing in it. Which might look strange and it certainly felt strange, but there was a very special reason for it. From her hooves leached helpful nutrients and and micro-organisms making the soil rich. She let her mind run idly, trying not to focus on any one subject for too long and ruin the relative peace that she was feeling for the moment.

She wondered whether they should bring some sand from the Throat and mix it with the soil to allow the southern plants a setting more similar to where they grew naturally.

But how would they transport sand all the way back here? Would the sand from the Endless Blue be any different?

Movement outside of the greenhouse grabbed her attention and Alysanne wasted no time in abandoning her task, exiting the greenhouse and whickering to alert her friend of her presence before calling out to her in a friendly voice.

“Hello Lyanna! How are you today?”

Alysanne
the devoted

image | coding

@Lyanna
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Kyra

let the winds erase me,

She is glad to find Alysanne first, because in truth, she misses her friend. It’s been quite some time since they’ve been each other outside of herd business. Though this meeting would be herd business, at least it was only the two of them. At least there could be a moment of something other than the Edge. Don’t get her wrong, she is happy to work for her herd, but everyone needs a break now and again.

Admittedly, she wishes they could just spend the day planning the greenhouse together. Lyanna has spent some time tilling the earth, and had begun to bring some new herbs into the greenhouse to plant. But with spring, she’d also been tending to the garden and somehow felt like she hadn’t done enough of either.

“Aly,” she says, her face breaking into a smile. She is glad to see her friend, though she brings no good news with her. “I’m well. How are you? How are you settling in as Queen, for that matter?” Because she has not actually had the chance to ask this question since that change. Quite some time has passed, but perhaps it’s the right amount of time for anyone to begin to settle in to such a position.

She waits for the other mare to finish speaking before she continues. “I admit though, I was looking for you and sadly not just to chat in the greenhouse. I know it’s rather common knowledge that Toulouse invaded the Throat, but I’m not sure what else you know already. I found out a bit more while cleaning for Kis- Kaos, I suppose.”

Lyanna pauses for a moment, thinking back to cleaning with Glasgow, making sure she has the story right before continuing on. “Maren, the Diviner for the Throat as I’m sure you know, was there. Toulouse joined shortly after Maren, whispering to both Glasgow and I not to say a word, and then introduced himself as Barnabas. Apparently Maren had to save,” she says the word with a slight emphasis and roll of her eyes, “Barnabas from the sea. If Maren has any idea who Barnabas really is, she didn’t indicate it.”

She pauses again, feeling so much like a Princess right now, remembering so many similar conversations between herself and her parents. She’d been a glorified spy then, and apparently, not much has changed. “I kept my mouth shut, because I wanted to tell you and Tembovu and let you handle it as you thought best. But if you would like, I will accompany you to the Throat and apologize for not telling them sooner.” Though she thinks she’s done the right thing, she isn’t sure. She doesn’t know all the politics of Helovia. She’d followed the same instructions she’d had in Morham, but it’s possible they don’t hold true here.

lyanna

Image © Rhiaan

@Alysanne

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
The Elephant King is second to arrive to Lyanna, ignorant to her need for a monarchial powwow. It was actually Mbwene that brought him to the greenhouse—as she sometimes helped herself to a few of the sweet, exotic fruits (if no one was watching, of course). So it was with sneaky persistence that she pushed towards the greenhouse, her Elephant King in dutiful tow.

But the small matriarch’s plans were foiled as she found not one, but two others tending the greenhouse. The King’s dark lips pursed in amused bemusement at the intense disappointment that radiated from his elephant companion. ’Never mind, go now,’ was her only response to his questioning glance.

He shook his heavy skull slightly, instead walking up and grinning a greeting to Lyanna and Alysanne in turn. Though, he found he was walking up in the middle of Lyanna speaking of Toulouse, so he held his tongue and simply listened. His grin and good humor faded as she continued, realizing that this was not a simple friendly conversation. It was a sharing of sensitive information that needed to be handled by the the King and Queen.

A low, tired sigh pushed out of his nostrils—there were moments when he began to question if being King was worth the effort and time he was forced to spent away from his family. (And he felt that his children were suffering for it.)

“Thank you for telling us this, Lyanna,” was his deep, tired rumble, “And thank you for waiting to do anything about this.” Lying didn’t seem to be in the realm of Lyanna’s specialties, so the King appreciated her…delicate handling of this subject. Lines framed his navy blue eyes as they swept to Alysanne, “Perhaps we should… wait with this information until we know our current relation with the Throat with my emissary visit?”

Though the option sat heavy and unsettled in him, his tired mind sought it as the… easiest option.
Tembovu
the elephant king

image | coding

@Lyanna @Alysanne

Please tag Tembovu.

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah
Lyanna’s smile and the easy, relaxed conversation that began was so welcome - even if the question of how Alysanne was doing, how she was settling in as Queen, weren’t exactly welcome themselves. “I’m alright… it’s been… an adjustment.” She added with a wry smile. Perhaps Alysanne might have gone into more explanation, but now didn’t seem to be the time. At first, she simply didn’t want to burst the happy, friendly bubble that was around them.

Only, it burst anyway.

She didn’t get more honest with her answers, because Tembovu joined them a moment later while Lyanna was beginning to explain that she had actually been looking for Alysanne. Her smile faded as she listened to her friend start to explain what was going on. The very first piece of news caught the painted mare off guard and she immediately reacted to it. “What do you mean it’s common knowledge that Toulouse invaded the Throat?!” Alysanne’s voice started to raise a little bit with incredulity but she got herself under control again, her ears flattening against her skull as she shot a glance at Tembovu. “Did you know about that?”

But there’s more so she is distracted from being too angry about being kept out of that loop. She remembered, of course, Iona mentioning that someone had crossed the Throat’s borders without permission but she didn’t know it had been him - the very Specter that they had put on probation barely any time ago at all.

The rest of Lyanna’s story is listened to intently, Alysanne being careful to listen to every word and remember them.

Their illustrious Elephant King has a completely passive response to the news that Lyanna had shared and it needled Alysanne even more - the feathers on her wings bristling. “What?” The incredulity is back into her voice, though thankfully she kept herself a few notches down from being hysterical. She fixed Tembovu with her bright green eyes, trying to figure out what was going on through her co-leader’s head. “Tembovu. Toulouse is already on probation, we can’t just pretend this discretion didn’t happen.” That was exactly what his plan of ‘let’s sit on this’ felt like to her and she would not let this get swept under the rug with everything else. “Even if the Throat is unaware that one of our members invaded their borders, we know. How is that not something you want to react to? You lost it on me for rolling my eyes at you once but now we’re just totally fine to let our members do something like this?.” Perhaps it really was just her that he seemed to get joy out of being the behaviour police.

Her attention flickered briefly to Lyanna and she felt sorry for the dear Moon Doctor, having to listen to this, but she was also curious about what her thoughts were on this. “And what about if the Throat ever does find out and they find out we kept this from them? I, personally, would like to stay on good terms with them. We have no reason not to trust them and treat them in this fashion.”

Alysanne
the devoted

image | coding

MOM AND DAD ARE FIGHTING
SORRY LYANNA

@Lyanna
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Kyra

let the winds erase me,

She would have loved to spend more time talking to Aly about her adjustment to being Queen. She had never been Queen, of course, but it wasn’t something she was unfamiliar with. Not that she’d spent loads of time with her mother, but she’d spent enough to know something. Had heard plenty from Corbin of what their parents taught him about becoming King. She might not be able to help Aly much, but she would be an understand ear, certainly. Instead, she gives her friend only a sympathetic nod, and adding briefly, “If you ever want to talk…” and leaving it at that, the implication in her meaning clear enough. Lyanna was here should her friend ever need someone to simply rant at.

Tembovu joins them at the opportune time, and it all goes to hell quickly. Apparently Alysanne does not know what Toulouse has been up to, and Lyanna’s first choice of words were poor at best. Careless. She’d been afraid to insult them as if they didn’t know, thinking first of the challenge and then of the meeting. Iona knew, certainly, and she thought Tembovu, though maybe she’d been entirely wrong. Maybe Iona had meant someone else entirely, which would be a whole new level of trouble. Though she didn’t think it was someone other than Toulouse.

She doesn’t reply to this one, figuring it best for this particular question, she keep her mouth shut. To be fair, she would simply leave if she could, because suddenly she feels far too much like she’s back in Morham, standing in a room as her parents argued over what to do about a bit of information Lyanna had just told them. It was such an uncomfortable position, standing there not really belonging in the conversation, and yet not dismissed either. She feels like a child again, standing there waiting for Mom and Dad to let her go play in the woods again.

But Alysanne’s eye flicker to her, which is new. Her parents never looked at her when they bickered, but simply ignored her until they were done and she was dismissed by the sheer fact they forgot all about her. “He did not hide the fact he knew Glasgow and myself, so if they did not know he was from the Edge before, they likely could have figured it out. I gather he pretended to be drowning and innocent, but I’m not sure Maren is stupid enough to fall for it. Not completely, anyway.”

She pauses, thinking about what they knew, and what might have happened that day in the Throat. “If I may?” she asks, though her mind is already wheeling and the words tumble out now. “Let’s assume they know he’s from the Edge. Whether they suspect he was lying about drowning or not, a member of the Edge clearly broached their border. You don’t start drowning in the sea on the way to the Throat if you are not trying to get to the Throat. Which means what they know is a member of the Edge was trying to get into the Throat, even if they don’t know why. That is the situation to deal with, and I would argue caution in ignoring it. There is no good way to handle the situation, but if you are at least mostly honest and let them know he’s being dealt with accordingly, they are less likely to blame the Edge as a whole. If they do find out, and it seems unlikely Toulouse will be able to keep his secret forever, and find out you covered it, then they have every right to break whatever alliance stands now.”

And then she falls silent, realizing perhaps her opinion was unwanted too late. Old habits die hard. Though her parents rarely asked her opinion, her brother often did, and she’d grown used to thinking through issues. Though she’d never had enough time with him to feel confident in her diplomatic abilities, it is at least not entirely foreign.  

lyanna

Image © Rhiaan

@Tembovu

Lyanna feels right at home and is sticking her nose where it probably doesn't belong, lol. ;)

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
His head felt heavier with every word spoken by both the Devoted and the Moon Doctor. He shook it slowly—not negating what had already been said, but instead trying the lessen the weight of his massive horn that now seemed so much heavier upon his brow. He had spent thus far ruling the Edge without any sort of diplomatic complications, but now…. Now it seemed that every time he tried to head home to his cave, Rexanna, and their sick newborn, a new issue rose its ugly and problematic head.

So a long, low breath pushed out of his nostrils as Lyanna spoke her long-winded (but pertinent, logical, and reasonable) interjection on the matter at hoof. His tired, worn, lined navy gaze looked to Alysanne, uncertain if he should even address her barb towards him with their past interactions (’ You lost it on me for rolling my eyes at you once but now we’re just totally fine to let our members do something like this?’). Instead, he simply said, “If we are to rule together, Alysanne, then perhaps we should allow bygones be bygones.” There was no sarcasm or rebuke in his deep voice, only weariness.

Then, he paused for a long while, letting all of Alysanne’s (justified) scorn and Lyanna’s rationale trickle through the drained and weary fog of his mind. There were so many thoughts, so many distractions

And then he slowly nodded, “You are right Lyanna, this is not something as easily censured as I would like to believe,” he gave a rueful grin, “Your reasoning is appreciated,” he gave a mildly sharp glance to Alysanne, as if to imply the superior efficacy of reason rather than sharp barbs with sensitive, diplomatic discussions. But he let the moment pass, choosing instead to speak of what he would do rather than what others may have done, “I will discuss the transgression with the Throat when I journey South.”

With a drained dip of his great skull, he took his leave.
Tembovu
the elephant king

image | coding

@Lyanna @Alysanne We can end this here?

Please tag Tembovu.