the Rift

Keep it Light [OPEN]

Gulliver Posts: 18
Dragon's Throat Apostle atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 3 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
.A.
His chest ached, each breath burning his trachea.  His walk away from the Capitol became more frantic as a feeling of unease took hold of him.  A feeling of being watched, stalked, pulled at his mind until he was at a dead run away from the place where he was born.  Why would they be looking for him?  He is not the only one born male in his generation.  However, he knew that each horse born into the herd was an asset, a tool that the leaders use to strengthen the herd.  The stallion will admit that the way that the leaders ran things did produce strong, adapt foals.  He knew that with each generation of foals, the herd will become a force that will be hard to overcome.  He wanted nothing to do with it.

He let himself slow, his gallop becoming a lope, then a trot.  He picked up his feet high, unsure of the area surrounding him.  The open field had grown dark and woody.  After a while, relief washed over him.  He doubted that anyone who thought of following him could find him in such a maze of trees and brush.  He lazily slid to a stop, letting the shade cool his dark hide.  His breath was shallow, his abdomen heaving with each exhale.  Even though his body is athletic, anybody would be gasping for breath after running for so long.  Now that he has stopped, he could feel the strain of the workout.  He needed to rest for a minute.  Shaking his wind-tangled mane, he started forward, walking slowly.  A drink of cool water would be a gift from the gods. There had to be something here.  The trees were tall, and the grass around was living, so there had to be water somewhere.

It took almost an hour, but the stallion finally stumbled upon a small creek, trickling it's way through the dirt and rocks.  It was only about knee deep the deepest spot he could find, but it flowed icy cold. He bent his knees, letting himself fall into the water.  A couple of rolls sufficiently wet his sweaty pelt.  The man stretched his neck, dipping his muzzle into the water and took long swallows.

He could feel in core temperature returning to normal.  Though the rocks dug into his side, he stretched out on his side, laying as much in the water as he could.  His steel blue eyes closed, and he let himself relax for the first time since his decision to leave.

He walks. | "He talks." | He thinks.

Pippigrin Posts: 77
Dragon's Throat Gladiator atk: 6.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 10hh :: Two HP: 68 | Buff: NOVICE
Brandybuck :: Wolverine :: None Neverrmind

PIPPIGRIN
FALLEN OUT OF BED FROM A LONG & WEARY DREAM

A pair of ears swivelled above the brush and scrub of the forest floor, the feathered creature backed it's rump up upon a tree trunk. Slingshot ready an waiting, mounted upon a leg brace, the stone-coloured halfling cautiously surveyed the area; the same area where not a month or two prior his trusty, faithful saucepan had been stolen by an ursine criminal of great, great dishonour it would seem. To steal a saucepan from a hobbit? The lowest of the low in Pippigrin's opinion. Since that awful, soul-scratching event the poor chap had had to make do with field-food, gnawing on roots and grass, with no propper food or kitchens in his herd land (or any herd land). Proper food... Pippin craved proper food.
This is what had lead the halfling to the threshold today, armed with his slingshot, full of all intent to strike down the saucepan thief. All ten hands of him was fearful, enraged, though truthfully he had no idea where to even begin.

Scooting away from the tree he had parked himself under, Pippigrin gave one more glance over the greenery for any sign of that horrendous creature or his beloved saucepan, but alas, there was naught but greens and browns as far as the eye could see.
But then there was grey.
A peculiar figure wading through the trees caught Pippin's eyes; the figure of similar colour to his own lurked toard the nearby creek, and as Pippin continued to watch from the cover of shrubbery, he noticed the brute was covered in all manner of travel wear, dirt and sweat. Another traveller no doubt; lost, wounded, weary.

Waiting until the gent had lowered himself down into the spring to emerge, Pippigrin cleared his throat to announce his presence before continuing with his airy, strangely masculine voice (the kind one might not expect from one who appeared like a foal to most). "Hallo!" the hobbit bellowed, tail swishing at the flys that gathered over his own sweat-sheened pelt.
"How's the water?" was his next coo, striding closer to the man and dipping his muzzle into the downstream creek water (not seeming to mind that it was now filled with a stranger's blood, sweat and tears). Just a few sips was enough for the hafling, so when he lifted his head from the muddied water he gave a great smile, the water dribbling down his velveteen maw.

Heya! Welcome to Helovia, I'm Neve & this is my character, Pippin!
If you're interested in having Gulliver join the Dragon's Throat, here's some info about our herd land! I love his name btw ♥︎
Ps. you absolutely do not have to read all of this but it's a helpful bunch of documents to refer to if you're interested !
Land Guide - Dragon's Throat - This will explain all the flora and fauna found on the island! We have some mythical plants and creatures that you can learn a bit about in this short guide like Manticores and some super cool plants!
Dragon's Throat Information - This one has almost everything you need to know about the throat from who currently holds rank, the companions, the rules of the herd and even its super intense history!
And finally;
New Player Tables - This is a thread I set up where new players can request a table!

If you think of any questions hit me up!
@Gulliver

.A.
The water cooled him, and he let himself sigh with content.  Though it washed away his sweat, his dirty hide turned it murky.  He lifted his head out of the creek, re-positioning it towards the bank.  At least that will keep it out of his nostrils.  He could feel the cold numbing his sore muscles and reducing the inevitable swelling of his joints.  He could fall asleep in the water, and he almost did.  The sound of approaching hooves brought him back to consciousness however, and he jerked upward.  The rapid movement renewed his aches, and he fought the urge to jump to his feet and rush off.  With a huff, he twisted his neck until the stranger came into view.  The newcomer seemed in good spirits, so the man refrained from throwing him a scowl.

"Hallo! How's the water?"

The smaller horse was quite perky and seemed unaware that he had interrupted Gulliver's nap.  Gulliver tilted his head like a canine at the man's unusually low tone.  He must be much older then he looks, even though the small, winged horse looked almost child-like in stature.  His appearance amused Gulliver, dissipating whatever hard feelings he had for the stranger.  The larger stallion pushed his front limbs forward, rocking into a standing position.  He winced a little as he watched his new acquaintance take a sip from the dirty water.

"It has done what I needed, though if you wish for a drink, it is much clearer upstream."

The stallion was painfully aware of his voice cracking. His exhaustion is taking a toll on more then his muscles. He stepped out of the water, shaking his body and sending water droplets flying around him and loosening his mane from his soaked neck. The feeling of it sticking to him was irritating. Turning his heels, he faced the pegasus, clearing his throat.

"I am called Gulliver. Some call me Gully, if you prefer. Do you reside near here?"

OOC: I think Gulliver joining Dragon's Throat would be splendid! Thank you for linking all of that info for me. I have been doing lots of reading on the lands, and I would prefer Gully be in a herd, rather then just wandering. The man needs structure!
@Pippigrin

Pippigrin Posts: 77
Dragon's Throat Gladiator atk: 6.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 10hh :: Two HP: 68 | Buff: NOVICE
Brandybuck :: Wolverine :: None Neverrmind

PIPPIGRIN
FALLEN OUT OF BED FROM A LONG & WEARY DREAM

It was only after he bomed his vibrant 'halloo' that he noticed the man was actually lounging in a nap, not just washing like he had oringinally presumed. "OH!" The hobbit blabbed, about to apologise when the giant (compared to him) launched himself up onto all fours. The tiny stag braced, ready for what he was sure to be a scrap, though the brute spoke only a mery jumble of words in reply. No threats came from the dragon he had woken.
Wiping the wet dribbles of water from his chin by brushing it over his knee, the frizzy-haired halfling soon was standing tall and proud once again, listening intently as the gentleman spoke his name. Gulliver; his name was Gulliver. It was a name that Pippigrin liked the sound of - it was straight forward, rolled off his tongue easily and had a fierce ring to it, the kind his own name did not have.
Fierce names or soppy names, no introduction was complete without a proper greeting, so with a hearty wingbeat or two, all ten hands of the guardian strode forward to greet the man in the hobbit's way. Reaching out with his right hoof and stamping it upon the strangers own front right, plate-sized foot, he finally spoke his own name. "I'm Pip!".

When pondering the second part of gulliver's sentence the hobbit twisted his maw ever-so-slightly, angling his glance downwards at the grass. By near did he mean Helovia? Or was his nest close-by? because no, it was a long way away, but so were all the others herds.
"Well... I do live here in Helovia!" the slightly dimwitted stag answered "But my home is far far from here. It's down south in the mighty island of the Dragon's Throat! I am it's guardian"

Turning tail, the hobbit marched with a chest full of air and pride. "I can show you if you like!? and if you're looking for a place to nest there's plenty room in the Throat. Mr. Volterra Sir, the Sultan, is brave but he's nice! And missus Ampere, the Sultana, is very..." the hobbit trailed off as he began his stroll through the trees, assuming his new friend was following "...very..."
He continued to mumble, wondering what word he might use to describe their sultana and her beautiful ferocity. The hobbit had no real clue how he ought to describe it. "Very sultanary" the little one concluded as he continued through the brush and fern, wings spreading wide as he stumbled upon a glade. From here he could take flight, soar above if he chose, and direct the traveller to his home from above.
So, turning upon his hocks, the half-man beamed towards the grey one and hoped he'd follow. "Come on, i'll show you the Dragon's Throat!"
and with that, the hobbit had flown skyward, his keen eyes watching the forest below in order to guide the stag home.

Wonderful! When you reply here with Gully confirming in-character that he's going with Pip to the throat I shall set up a thread in the DT to welcome him and ask for your rank to be changed! :D
Is there any particular career you may be interested in Gulliver persuing? If you're not sure yet he can be unranked!!

@Gulliver

.A.
The bird-like stallion seemed like he did not lack courage.  He displayed valor as he strode up and loudly let himself be known.  Gulliver did notice his stance as the painted stallion rose from the earth, like he is ready to engage in a spar.  Gulliver could hardly call them evenly matched, even with the bird's wingspan.  However, Gulliver is not the sort to jump into a bloody match.  He would much prefer a battle of wits and words, then of teeth and hooves.  The small horse beemed with pride and a child like happiness, and it rubbed off on Gulliver.

His ears tipped forward and he arched his crest when the smaller one took a hoof and made contact with his own.  It must be a greeting of some sort, and so he let the smaller hoof stamp upon him.  He smiled widely as he learned the name of this happy character.  What a fitting name for the pegasus. When he no longer felt the pressure of Pip's hoof against his own, he took a step back to give him a greeting of his own.  Though he cut all ties from his prior herd, the habit of greeting others in a certain manner still ringed within him. He bent his left knee, tilting his head to the ground in an elegant bow.  "May the stars be with you, Pip."  Straightening, he realized how cheesy the words must have sounded.  He will have a difficult time breaking tradition.

He listened silently as Pip described his home.  It amused him that Pip had called it his nest.  The term bird sounded in his mind once again.  It is a fitting term for the stallion.  Pip, the little bird.  Yes, he may just have found a friend after his grueling journey.   The name of his home, though, sounded like a stern place.  He refused to judge the place solely on the name, but he couldn't help the thought.  Pip seemed to be excited to share it, having turning and heading through the thick forest.  Gulliver shook once last time, wishing his hair would dry faster before following Pip.  It didn't take much effort to keep up with Pip, so he let himself meander after him.  He was grateful of the cooling effect the creek had on his joints and muscles, but it will be a few days before he will fully recover.  The pain wasn't so vibrant that he couldn't travel a few more miles, so he ignored it.

The leading stallion was murmuring, and Gulliver had to tilt his head to listen.  He felt a ping of anxiety as Pip described the leaders of the place, Dragon's Throat.  He is not a fan of politics and abuse of power, but Pip seemed confident as he spoke of this Volterra and Ampere.  He will just have to see if he could fit in with a herd, or if he is destined to wander aimlessly.  Truthfully, he would thrive if he could find a herd where he could engage with others and provide a service, but memories of his past seemed to cripple his excitement. "Your home sounds lovely Pip.  If you believe that I would fit in, there is no harm in trying, right?  I thank you."

They continued into a clearing, and Gulliver had successfully curbed his apprehensions about following Pip home.  He watched with glee as Pip spread his wings and seemed to float into the sky.  Truth be told, this is his first real encounter with a winged horse.  The herd he came from was exclusively equine.  He knew of those with wings, and had even spotted them from afar.  He wasn't so naive as to not understand what they are, but watching Pip fly above him made him realize that he really had no clue.  He thought about his sheltered life, frustration momentarily filling him.  He wished that he had the opportunity to meet the variety of equine based species.  Wings, horns, there are even some with magic abilities.  All things that he will have to learn.

He looked back up, realizing that he had fallen behind.  Maybe it was because he was in the air above him, but Pip seemed a much faster flier then when he strode on the ground.  Gulliver picked up the pace, striding into a slow, comfortable lope.  He just hoped that Dragon's Throat wasn't as far as it seemed.

OOC: For now he can be a citizen.  Once he learns the history and stories of everyone and everywhere (because the man is a huge nerd and bookworm) I think that being an apostle would suit him and he would love working towards that goal :)