the Rift

[PRIVATE] Problems in Paradise

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
Tembovu
With a heavy heart and trudging steps, the Elephant King left the fallen General’s buried body. His body was exhausted—retaining his elephantine body to cary Nyx’s broken body all the way from the mess of a marsh the bone monster had taken a toll. Both physically and mentally. And burying her…it had drained him emotionally.

He walked, alone, to his home in the cliffs. Mbwene had remained behind, finding solace with Chico. But Tembovu—he had been able to find solace with no one. Rexanna had not been present. He assumed she was back at their home, but he had seen so little of her lately that he wasn’t sure. Since Safiri’s birth and the tumultuous rank changes in the Edge, theirs had been a relationship of whispered greetings or departures to already-sleeping ears.

His ears tipped back, eyes even more lined and weary as he broached the dark entrance to their cave. What once had been homey felt…confining. So, before he could fully enter beneath the roots, he withdrew his large, ivory hoof and turned, stepping past the opposing, smaller caves and coming to stand at the cliff’s edge.

A dark, anguished, navy gaze found the sea’s horizon. Something that stretched on forever.

Then only thing that stretched on forever.

@Rexanna

Please tag Tembovu.

Rexanna Posts: 499
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 7 years HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Marembo :: Marbled Polecat :: None Skylark
Rexanna

Rexanna had heard what happened. And while the pain of losing Nyx after just so recently calling her a friend had found a place to hide among her heart – her main focus had to be Safiri. The small child had recovered partially from the birth, but the ex-Thief wasn’t about to let her out of her sight, and she was afraid of taking her anywhere for fear the exertion would cause another bundle of issues with her beautiful little daughter. So she stayed behind, finding comfort in the back of the cave, allowing the child to nurse. Her head was held low and silence overtook the cave.

Marembo wasn’t home, he had told Rexanna he wanted to be present for the funeral, so he could at least relay things back to her if she didn’t go. For that, the gilded mare was thankful, but as the polecat trudged his way back she too felt the sadness that resonated from her little furry friend. He trudged in, slipping past the Elephant King. “What’s wrong?” Rexanna questioned through the bond to Marembo, unaware the Elephant King was about to make his way toward the entrance. “Mbwene with electic mare companion. I thought Mbwene go maybe with me instead.” He answered back before slipping to the back of the cave beside the two and curling up into his little place beside them. Rexanna reached out to touch Marembo gently before she heard Tembovu just outside.

When she lifted her head to look upon him, his gaze was aimed at the horizon from the cliff’s edge. She allowed a few minutes to pass before she began to speak. “Oh, you’re home already?” The question was meant to sound as though she was genuinely interested, but she hadn’t slept well and had been far too stressed out to even put forth the effort. So the words slipped out flatly while she wondered why he had decided to return home and Mbwene stay out with whomever it was Marembo said she was.

"Talk."

@Tembovu
[Image: lovelyskylark.gif?8]
Permission given for moderate power play.
Feel free to use magic/force on Rexanna, without killing her.
Please tag in every post!

Tembovu
“Oh, you’re home already?”

Dark navy gaze shuttered close, already creased eyes growing even more lined as black lids hid somber, stormy eyes. Black rimmed ears tilted back at the words that were asked so flatly—so deceptively dull and lifeless. But the Elephant knew true lifeless; he had just left the freshly turned soil that covered it.

Black lips pressed in a thick line as a taunt, heavy silence weighed between him and his golden, beautiful, mate. His jaw clenched once, thick muscle ripple across the surface of his cheek as teeth grit and released from each other just as a deep breath filled and expanded his barrel. He held it for a few moments, as if the pressure from his abdomen could somehow squeeze out the pounding pain in his heart Nyx’s death had left.

But it couldn’t. Nothing would.

So, with a loud outward gush of breath, the King responded to Rexanna, “I am," a heavy pause, "You decided to stay home.” The flatness of his words matched hers—although his last phrase was almost a challenge. Almost. He had wanted needed her there beside him. For all their distance, she had become a fixture of comfort and solace in his soul.

But she hadn't been there. His thick, coarse, black tail lashed against his hocks—a contradiction to his outer stillness and revelation of his inner turmoil.

@Rexanna

Please tag Tembovu.

Rexanna

He didn’t step closer to her, and she didn’t step closer to him. They stood with this awkward distance between them, tangible enough in tension and frustration to seemingly cloud the small home they shared as Safiri nursed and Tembovu’s sigh came just before his voice. “You decided to stay home.” She heard the returned flatness in his voice, and it took every ounce of her to refuse rolling her tired eyes at her mate. The accusation that laced his words were dripping, though all she could do for the moment was simply wait – allow the tension to grow further before she lowered her head to their daughter.

When she finally ended up speaking, she tried to let her gaze find Tembovu’s. “I did stay home. I didn’t want to bring our daughter too far from home in case something happened.” Her voice remained flat, her eyes narrowing as if threatening him to challenge her case. “I sent Marembo there in my place to let me know how it went.” She added in, in case he didn’t think she wanted to show up.

Then, her head dropped slightly away from him to look back upon their daughter with a sadness gleaming in her eyes. “She was my friend too, you know. You don’t have to act like you’re the only one that cared about her.” Rexanna flicked her tail, her words leaving her lips in a pang of sadness and coiled anger bubbling beneath her skin.

"Talk."

@Tembovu <3

Tembovu
The Elephant could feel Rexanna’s cerulean gaze probing for his—he could always feel her gaze. Usually it was soft, a gentle caress on a hide toughened by scars and loss. But now…now he avoided her gaze, his own resolutely anchored on the twilight’s darkening horizon; because now, her gaze wasn’t soft or gentle. No, it was narrowed, sharp, hard—all things the King left in his daily life to come home to her.

His ears tipped further back as Rexanna’s reasoning for remaining at their cave fell flatly into them. “You didn’t think Moon Doctors would attend?” Was his quick, sharp, careless question—his mind too grieved and tired to temper his tongue, “Not all mothers in the Edge remain forever in their caves.” His eyes closed as soon as this left his mouth—he knew he didn’t mean that before it left his thick, black lips. So they pressed together tightly, an apologetic frown already creasing his brow as he finally turned his heavy head towards Rexanna—

“She was my friend too, you know. You don’t have to act like you’re the only one that cared about her.”

But before any words of apology could leave his lips, Rexanna’s anger that had been carefully and passively coiled beneath the flatness of her words struck out at him. A single tongue of heat licked behind his anguished navy blues, brows raising as he looked at her, “Where were you to pay her respects?” His deep voice held a new edge, ”You used me as a victory against her.” His eyes began to burn, remembering the very clear wedge and line driven at the shore between himself and Nyx by their battle of conquests.

@Rexanna

Please tag Tembovu.

Rexanna

The Elephant King remained in his massive shadowed glory, surveying the horizon while her eyes pierced into him. And silence overtake her aside from the things she had said, awaiting a response she knew would come. Yet, when it wasn’t tempered or managed – from grief nonetheless – was when Rexanna found her own gaze rising, tail flicking against her hocks as her heartbeat sped. He replied quickly, and to which Rexanna had her own quick response. “You want to put our daughter in danger so she can attend a funeral?” She snapped back, and when he spoke of mothers not remaining in their caves it took every ounce of her not to scoff at him.

Her head swiveled away from him, then, a sharp sigh passing through her lips. “Yeah, well, not all mothers have a daughter as fragile as I do.” The words were meant to hurt, to sting, to cement the fact that despite they had both tangoed to create her, that Rexanna felt more claim to the small child in this instance. And when he finally turned to look back at her, his voice sharp as a blade as hers was, she finally did give in and scoff at him. “She used information about Caleb against me that fell from your lips. I’d hardly call anything of that catfight a victory.” Her head swung back to him narrowed. “Also, right before she died, we cleared together. We apologized.” She announced to him, brows raising slightly to see if he’d react.

And his eyes burned with ice as they looked upon her – her own gaze mimicking back. “But you weren’t there for that.” She did her best to reign in her anger, but it leaked from her heart and began to infect the rest of her mind. “You're good at not being there."

"Talk."

@Tembovu omg

Tembovu
“I would not put her in danger, but I would not hide her from the world,” was his simple retort to her baiting, snapped words regarding their daughter’s safety. But, try as he might, he could not rein in his anger as a sharp sigh pushed passed Rexanna’s lips fanned the flames.

“Not all mothers put their daughters at risk by doing more than they should,” his deep voice rumbled dangerously, alluding to Rexanna’s obstinate actions during clearing things for Kaos that had resulted in her (slightly) early labor.

And, at the mention of Caleb, the King’s ears fell flush with his skull, his jaw clenched tightly, and his chest grew hot with anger. Caleb was an old skeleton, one they had buried and not uncovered since before Rein’s birth. But now— “There would be no ‘Caleb’ to use against you if you had been honest with me from the beginning of us, Rexanna,” his deep rumble sounded sharply, forcefully, around all the syllables of her full name.

Being angry felt better—for the moment—than the pain that had pulsed in him from Nyx’s death. It was what he knew; how he had always reacted. Anger was easier than pain. You could use it, aim it, control it. With pain, you were at its mercy. There was no control there.

His brows raised at her triumphant reveal: “We apologized.” And, rather than mitigate the furious flames that were licking inside his barrel, it only fanned them. Rexanna was able to set things right with Nyx, whereas he—at Rexanna’s behest and mercy—had remained a careful distance from his friend and one-time-lover. “I am glad one of us could make amends before she died—” his voice was fiery and frigid all at once, but it was cut off by:

“You’re good at not being there.”

Silence. Hard and unyielding and filled with a tension so tight that it pressed against the flames of anger and nearly smothered them. Pain returned, unrelenting and ferocious at being temporarily overshadowed by fury— “Is that what you think? That I enjoy not being here?” The question was heavy and echoed, despite the quietness with which it fell from his deep rumble.

@Rexanna :[ ouch

Please tag Tembovu.

Rexanna

I would not hide her from the world.” Her eyes narrowed at his words, tail flicking a bit more with each passing second, each faster heartbeat. “Sometimes being hidden away is better.” She remarked, partially reflecting on her history – but his next set of words kept her attention away from it. As Tembovu made it out to seem as though she was the reason Safiri was the way she was, she snorted. “She was due to come anytime. That was not my fault.” She noted.

But then, she knew that the mention of Caleb would get under his skin. And when he accused her that his name wouldn’t have left Nyx’s lips had she not spent time with Caleb, she wanted to laugh at him. “I told you why I was like that. And you still try to act like it was a choice.” Her voice remained at the same volume, though the words tried to pack a bit more of a punch. Tembovu continued to speak after her mention of amends, remarking on the fact that she was at least able to make amends – a sentence of which she didn’t reply to. She let it hang in the air between them until the next set of words captured a fiery rage that she hadn’t seen before.

Before, she would’ve probably been frightened. By Safiri still remained beneath her, and she knew that Tembovu had seen enough of his lovers and children burned to death to not do anything here – even if that wasn’t the case with her first ‘mate’. Her eyes narrowed as the question hung in the air. “I don’t know, Tembovu. You tell me.” Her voice took on a hint of accusation, her head lifting high in defiance. “Every time I really needed you, you were never there. I was shunned from the Edge by that white pegasus – attacked by Calstron more than once in Helovia. We're lucky no more of my children have died because of him.” Her words hinted at more fire beneath the pools of her pale flesh, while the “C” on her chest stood out in stark contrast to the rest of her.

And then I came here – hoping to try and start a new life for us because you chose your crown over our family.” She began, her blood boiling and breath rapidly escaping her lungs. "And you still. Weren't. There."

"Talk."

@Tembovu she went there

Tembovu
“I told you why I was like that. And you still try to act like it was a choice.” His ears pinned back at her words, his own reply quick, deep, and firm—meant less in as an argument and more as a statement of fact, “Everything we do is a choice, Rex.” It felt odd, alien, to use his original pet name for her in the midst of all this anger and lashing out… a word that was tied to happiness floating like a single, white feather into a forest fire of emotions. And, just as the feather, any power that name had was singed by the angry words already exchanged.

Despite his level words, his gaze remained heated with anger as he met his siren’s narrowed, accusing stare. His eyes darted their daughter beneath his belly as Rexanna’s head lifted in defiance and she spoke of children dying. A single icy band of fear at the thought wrapped around his heart—but instead of tempering his furious flames, the cold heat only stoked them.

“You would use my—our—children against me, in this?” Was his incredulous, roaring question. He could not help his thunderous volume in the face of his disbelief with the woman he loved. “You, ’my family’, are the reason I keep the crown,” was the only stormy growl he could manage. Again, his gaze, now furious, glanced towards Safiri before he abruptly turned on his haunches and left the cave. Their daughter did not need to see anymore of this.

And, if Rexanna wanted to have any more words, she could follow him out. Otherwise, he had heard enough.

@Rexanna

Please tag Tembovu.

Rexanna

She did her best to keep calm, but things had been too boiled up, too heavy on her heart and mind to be able to keep quiet now. A snort escaped her as her narrowed blue eyes held his own sharp, icy glare. “Everything we do is a choice, Rex.” She wanted to ask him if it was his choice to nearly murder Mauja. Her choices weren’t great, but at least she didn’t almost kill someone. Sleeping with someone and murder were two vastly different things.

But she remained silent, waiting for his next set of words to accompany the hot fire that spewed from her lips, untamed and far viler than she had expected them to be. His voice grew thunderous, echoing along the slick stone of the walls of the cave. Her ears flicked back against her skull harder as she turned her head away from him to break the stare to look down upon their precious child. She would use their children in an argument. In her mind, their children were the only reason she was here and not back in the Basin still.

You, my family are the reason I keep the crown.” He growled before leaving the cave. But Rexanna wasn’t done. A sharp unemotional laugh escaped her maw as she moved from Safiri to the entrance of the cave after him, her voice growing quiet as she looked upon his back. “You don’t have to have a crown to have a family Tembovu. You don’t have to be the ruler of the land to protect us. You don’t have to be the King in order for me to still love you.” Her words edged softer, as the anger simmered into pain. She looked away from him, to the earth quietly, before turning away from him and returning to the cave, allowing him to either respond or leave.

"Talk."

@Tembovu we can end here if you'd like <3