the Rift

[OPEN] cooking with candy

Johnny Posts: 161
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 13 hh :: 10 years
Jellybean :: Common Griffin :: Molten Dagger Sarah

“Oh Jelly Belly, stop that.” I snake my head out and nip lightly at my companion’s tail, as she goes to investigate the single, solitary candy that I have managed to make. Just for kicks, I had tried to use ye ol’ weaving magic - only to find out that it had left me and instead I was able to craft CANDY out of plants!! How cool is that? I mean making bags and everything to help out the herd was super fun but candy is just right up my alley. I want to be able to make EVERYONE some candy, though I guess that’ll be pretty tricky.  

Anyway, so I’m standing in a grove of what will eventually be raspberries once the weather gets disgusting and warm again. The first candy I made was grass flavoured so that got me thinking - would raspberry ones be raspberry flavoured?! One can only hope.

Jellybean keeps trying to take the candy before I can even try it though, so if she keeps that up I’m never going to be able to experiment. “You don’t need any sugar and you’re ruining my plan!” I pout at her and she pouts right back, but waddles over and sits between my front legs, her soft feathers and fur pressed up against one of them. So I guess she’s just going to watch now.

My tongue sticks out to the side a little bit as I concentrate, my brow furrowing and I look down at the ground and try to ‘envision’ a handful of little sugary drops appearing before me in the blooming sprouts.

Something kinda fizzles and then… nada.

This is going to be tricky, which is the WORST. Why can’t everything be easy?!

image by MBPanther

@Wessex and @Erebos expressed interest but open to all! <3
[Image: Johnny%20by%20Aud_zpsi3ssx2s1.gif]
magic and physical force permitted at all times
vigorous licking strongly encouraged
please tag in all posts

Erebos Posts: 474
Aurora Basin General atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1hh :: Four HP: 75.5 | Buff: DANCE
Orsino :: Plain Kitsune :: Dark Illusions & Enyo :: Common Griffon :: Draining Clutch Heather
Take just what I came for

He wandered for the sake of wandering – pondering if he should take up his father’s old role of constantly perusing the grounds for something, anything, to keep him occupied. There were no monsters lurking, no threats, no impending doom (except Kaos, but no one knew what to do about it – so the enigma, the mystery, the malice remained, tight against his chest and through his blackening heart), and so he was left to merely pace along the borders, staring out into the void, pretending he didn’t see the Reaper’s fading image at the edge of his vision. He didn’t want to be a ghost, a wraith, or a phantom either – he had too many things to do, too many promises to keep.

But something else stuck out against the spring valleys as well – ivory and pink and red, bubbly, buoyant, ever exuberant, and he found himself drawn towards the outline of Johnny and his companion, searching for a diversion from guilt, agony, and melancholy. The boy and his bonded, because the conniving Orsino drifted close by, strangely, eerily silent as they wove wayfaring patterns and sculpted miscreant orders, roamed towards the loud expressions and speech (something about candy?), until they were two shadows on the edge, on the fringe, the prince pasting a warm smile across his lips. “Johnny,” he beckoned, and hoped his eyes didn’t look too despondent, that the pretenses and masks flickered easily along his features, rendered them glorious and impish, just as they’d done in his restless years. His voice took on a peculiar, intrigued, curious quality, maw extended and bending down towards unknown, foreign things resting amongst the grass, yearning to understand just what the beast had conjured now. The last time he’d encountered Johnny’s creations, it’d been to assist Ode in a rather precarious position, though it seemed unlikely to repeat in this particular venture (though it didn’t stop him from chuckling, just once). “What are you up to?”

image credits

@Johnny

Wessex Posts: 149
Aurora Basin Haruspex atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 7.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 3 HP: 68 | Buff: NOVICE
Astor

I AM IRON AND I FORGE MYSELF

Without structure or orders to follow, Wessex, too, finds herself wandering (but for the sake of education), learning as much about the Basin as she can. From the Steppes to the Prison to the Springs to a cave with a mirror inside it (oh trust me, she has questions), the newest soldier has found it all. Each day, a different part of the Valley and its rim, and then repeated, until she can remember several paths to each seemingly important thing.

It is time consuming, but she has nothing else to do. Rounding the bend, a particularly bright individual stands, staring at a bunch of something, and even from this distance, Wessex finds it a tad peculiar. Stationary, she watches the stallion and his companion do… nothing, until movement draws her attention to Erebos as he crosses towards the stranger from another direction. With a roll of her broad shoulders and an inner sigh, she, too, goes to see if anything interesting is happening. It seems like days since the horned mare has seen anyone else. Solitude is lovely, but after awhile it can be maddening.

And maybe, just maybe, if nothing else, Erebos will have something for her to do. The mottled woman approaches with a nicker to the two of them, drawing up on the other side of Johnny. “Hello, Erebos,” she says in greeting to the General, and then adds a salutation to the candy-striped stranger. “Hello. I’m Wessex.” The question about whatever is going on stays in her eyes.

W E S S E X

image credit

Sorry that's shit.
@Johnny
-- please tag in all posts! --
-- magic and force allowed, no death or permanent damage --

Albrecht Posts: 249
Aurora Basin Impersonator atk: 6 | def: 8.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1hh :: 19 (Orangemoon) HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Strom :: Suma Ball Python :: None Townsen
When the former Weaver had finally emerged from his hibernation at the last herd meeting the old stallion had watched him with keen, if apprehensive, attention. He’d watched the candy-corn drag his feet and smile half-heartedly at the herd around him, too wary of having that peppermint horn aimed in his direction to actually approach.

He’s never known the little stallion to get angry or even any of the emotions close to it, but mistreating his wife and assaulting his daughter on more than one occasion while he'd been confined to his sickbed is probably as likely as anything ever will be to draw out the ire hidden within his sugary hide. Even so, the old black can’t seem to prevent himself from wondering, just now and then, how the little Peppermint Pony is doing.

It’s too strong a lure to resist then, when he hears that familiar soprano voice rising in the valley. He turns to follow the sound at a leisurely pace, hanging back until two other figures drift ahead of him, relieved to have familiar bodies and personalities to pad the coming encounter if he finds himself unwelcome.

The old stallions features mirror the others curiosity, though he too chooses to remain silent, slinking up beside the General to inspect the crafters handiwork. Whatever the tiny oval is, it smells delicious, and if the determined furrow across the candy-corns brow is any indication, more are on the way. His mouth waters approvingly and his green eyes flicker up to the Peppermint Ponys matching emeralds at last, questioning. Are we still friends? He wonders, but to ask so would be admitting that he'd considered them friends in the first place, or that he'd done something deserving of unfriending, both admissions he's far from ready to make, especially in company.

"Talk."
OOC // @Johnny
Albrecht
If all is fair in love and war, I can't do this anymore.

image | coding

[Image: 56c616e54affc]Rated M, R, NC-17, AO, 18+, NSFW
Tag dat azz!  @Albrecht
Violence & Magic okay.
Wish - Away - OOC

Johnny Posts: 161
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 13 hh :: 10 years
Jellybean :: Common Griffin :: Molten Dagger Sarah

Jellybean gives a little (aka a loud) squawk and that lets me know that we’re no longer alone. I turn my head to see Erebos - and even though the sight of the blue warrior causes some distress in the corners of my mind it is quick to retreat back and I’m left with my usual shining smile.

Nothing like repressing painful memories!!!

“Erebos!” I’m thankful for the questions and the company, and I shift a little bit so that Erebos can get a good look at what I’ve been trying to create. “I’m trying to make some candy!! Some sweet little treats for everyone to eat. I got this fancy new magic but it’s tougher than I thought.”

We’re joined a moment later by this lady with an INCREDIBLE set of horns, like I am super impressed by them, and they’re tipped in red which is my second favourite colour - right after pink. I turn to greet her, Wessex, and I like her already because she seems curious about what’s going on. Who wouldn’t be? Not every day someone starts making sugary delights! “Well hi! I’m Johnny!”

And another familiar face joins us! Jellybean gives a little growl but remains where she is between my legs, and I’m not really sure why she doesn’t seem to be fond of Albrecht. “Alby!” I greet the older stallion with a bright smile - because I’m quite oblivious to how he has been treating my family. Larue had mentioned a rude old man but, well, rude just pretty much summed up almost everyone in the Basin and I had never asked more about it because I had just been so happy to be up and about with my darling mate and daughter again!!

Having an audience gives me a little confidence boost and I concentrate once more, and this time I am rewarded by the raspberry plants transforming into small, gumdrop-sized candies. They’re all irregular and strangely shaped but hey at least they’re made!

“Alright you guys, you’re my guinea pigs. Who wants to try a piece? It’s supposed to taste like raspberries.”

I look at the three standing with me, my emerald eyes absolutely ALIVE with a smile - maybe some more candy is just what the Basin could use.

image by MBPanther

SUPER LATE so I understand if you guys don't want to reply :)
@Erebos @Wessex @Albrecht <3
[Image: Johnny%20by%20Aud_zpsi3ssx2s1.gif]
magic and physical force permitted at all times
vigorous licking strongly encouraged
please tag in all posts

Erebos Posts: 474
Aurora Basin General atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1hh :: Four HP: 75.5 | Buff: DANCE
Orsino :: Plain Kitsune :: Dark Illusions & Enyo :: Common Griffon :: Draining Clutch Heather
Take just what I came for

The youth always listened to Johnny – perhaps it was the excitement, the enthusiasm, the bursting, blinding lights of colors and sounds and utter ridiculousness that settled him, that tethered him there, instead of out into the wild world where he’d only walk around in misery. He kept his smile on his face, drowned out the vivid, haunting noise of his melancholy with the sugared stag’s rapture, with the incoming of others, swinging his head to beckon them all in, nodding enthusiastically, trying not to feel so desperate, so aloof, so god damned depressed – but the notion still clawed at his insides, threatened to choke, threatened to strangle, and he attempted to hush it all away in his greetings. “Wessex, Albrecht,” he tipped his head in salutations, didn’t allow his grin to fall off in a spiraling wake of anguish, and then turned his attention back to the matter at hand.

Candy - sweet little treats – and the sentiments, descriptions alone allowed him to bend down, to fully inspect what the little beast had been conjuring. Orsino sniffed at them too, then made a giant sneeze, hardly encouraged, but the prince was all the more intrigued when the plants transformed (always eager for new things, avaricious, greedy, hungry for information, for secrets, for sustenance over grief), curling away from their raspberry form and into small gumdrops littered at their feet. The Basin had never been known for its sweetness - while there were kind creatures coiled in their lairs, more often than not the mountains had been described as persevering, as enduring, as masterful, dominating, strong, tough, and tenacious, and the notion of this saccharine conjecture was enough to ensnare the General’s curiosity. He looked up, smiling again, proffering a piece of himself, embarking on a noble quest, trying to solidify a portion of his heart as many distractions as possible. “Could I?”

image credits

@Johnny @Wessex @Albrecht

Wessex Posts: 149
Aurora Basin Haruspex atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 7.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 3 HP: 68 | Buff: NOVICE
Astor

I AM IRON AND I FORGE MYSELF

The stoic soldier is, understandably, taken a bit aback by the stallion’s enthusiastic reply. So much so that she remains frozen in place for a couple of seconds longer than normal, before her wits return to her. This guy is even more exuberant than Tia - and that’s saying a lot. But she can see the happy innocence in him, and part of her finds it odd that he’s chosen to take up residence here, when everyone seems to be either brooding or cranky or otherwise have some sort of murky intentions. When the horned woman comes to, it is with a surprised chuckle, as if she’s seen something borderline miraculous.

Without saying anything more, she looks to Erebos for unofficial guidance in this situation - as both the happy-go-lucky stallion, and the older goat-looking guy who quickly follows her arrival, are strangers. Alby. Albrecht. That name is stored away for later, and she is mercifully spared small talk as Johnny produces something that smells delectable out of thin air. Her sense of smell goes to work, trying to decide what she is supposed to do and think. Are magically created things ok to eat? Does she really want to be a test subject?

As her lizard-like eyes glance back to the sweet white stallion, she finds that she has already made up her mind to indulge him. Erebos asks permission, but the mottled mare does no such thing. Biting the bullet, Wessex takes a brave half-step forward and lips at once of the candies on the edge of the bunch, pulling her head back with the prize in between her teeth. She tentatively presses down and feels a very satisfying crunch as the candy is pulverized in her mouth, releasing what is indeed, a sickly-sweet taste of raspberries. She swallows and nods a little again. “They’re good! Really, really sweet. Like raspberries on overdrive.”

W E S S E X

image credit

@Johnny  @Albrecht  @Erebos
-- please tag in all posts! --
-- magic and force allowed, no death or permanent damage --

Albrecht Posts: 249
Aurora Basin Impersonator atk: 6 | def: 8.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1hh :: 19 (Orangemoon) HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Strom :: Suma Ball Python :: None Townsen
Watching the little stallion create something complex from the most ordinary of ingredients is always a fascinating event to the old black, never having learned a trade himself. He inches closer to the candy-corn as he bends his head in concentration, bidding the small red berries to transform into something extraordinary through the forces of magic and willpower, and incredibly, the berries obey. One moment they’re sitting still and benign, the next they’ve merged into small, hard ovals of a similar color. He assumes they’re made of sugar and raspberry (the two things involved in making them), but what does he really know of crafting magic?

"I’ll try one.” He announces, stepping past the hesitant Erebos and reaching around - way around - Wessex with her prehistoric style head-fan of bony protrusions. A loud crunch sounds beside him as the mare immediately bites into her candy, quickly exclaiming how good the treat is. In contrast, the old stallion only holds his in his mouth, running his tongue over and sucking on the tablet, letting the sweet taste flood his senses and linger there for as long as possible. With an appreciative nod he, too, gives his approval, continuing to nurse the little goodie like a giant, elderly chipmunk hoarding resources in his cheek.

Suddenly, a new thought occurs. “Can you make these out of anything?” He asks, a tinge of excitement seeping into the question. Other choice tidbits flicker across his mind, the perishable ones especially. They're often quick to turn bad, disappointing anyone who doesn't have time enough to enjoy them early, but a hard candy couldn’t possibly spoil in the heat and humidity of Orangemoon or the shattering cold of Frostfall. In that state, they'd keep indefinitely.

"Talk."
OOC // @Johnny
Albrecht
If all is fair in love and war, I can't do this anymore

image | coding

[Image: 56c616e54affc]Rated M, R, NC-17, AO, 18+, NSFW
Tag dat azz!  @Albrecht
Violence & Magic okay.
Wish - Away - OOC