the Rift

[PRIVATE] You can raise my anchor anytime.

Tarik Posts: 32
Dragon's Throat Stallion
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1 :: 7 (immortal)
Odd

Was Tarik terribly surprised that the bizarre amalgamation of sea-life formed into the shape of a 'god', had turned out to be not entirely what he seemed? No, of course not. Half of Helovia apparently saw that coming, and yet few did anything to stop it. It was comforting to the viking, in all actuality. It just showed that Helovia was like any other land he'd ever been to. It was full of self-interested individuals. And that suited Tarik just fine.

The sun was lazily falling towards the ocean, as the dread-locked man stared out towards the sea. His beard was tangled together, dreadlocked by sweat and salt and sand, and despite this relatively unclean method of holding one's hair together, it seemed to suit him. His unkempt appearance might be judged as charming, rather than disgusting. Tarik moved the ornately decorated flask to his lips, drinking the honey-sweet rum inside. As he lowered it again, he noticed not for the first time, that the weight of liquid inside never changed. It would always remain full of rum, just as he would always remain full of life. They were a good pair.

The setting sun cast long reddish orange shadows across the ocean, and Tarik's sea-blue stare drank them in as an artists might. He had love for little else, save for the sea. 

@Alysanne

tarik
There's a feeling I get, when I look to the west, 
and my spirit is crying for leaving. In my thoughts I have seen
rings of smoke through the trees, and the voices of those who standing looking. 

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah

Spring was a bittersweet time for Alysanne as she travelled out of the Edge. Everywhere she looked, she was assaulted by the sight of adorable families - both equine and the animals that lived in the woods and meadows. This was the time to have children, when the grasp of Frostfall had receded and they would be given the greatest chance to survive before it was back again in another year.

It was only made worse by the fortune she had been spun upon her visit to the Basin - about the patter of small hooves, and the image that danced before her eyes of a mother and a child playing hide-and-seek in the woods. But whatever future that was, it wasn’t the one Alysanne seemed to be destined for. That belonged to Aly, the loving, kind-hearted mare who had stumbled across Helovia and never left. Not the bitter, angry mare she had become - to obsessed over keeping an eye on her troublesome co-lead and their even more troublesome herd mates to think about building a life for herself that didn’t involve the Edge.

Not that she was really walking around Helovia thinking ‘boy I would sure like to get knocked up right about now’, but she couldn’t help but feel a little sad that she was no more closer to being a mother again than she was last year, or the year before that…

Not to mention the other benefits that came from the more casual relationships she had built with stallions in her past…

As she travelled south, the black and white pegasus let her mind wander on the subject. Hemlock, who was significantly more prudish than Alysanne was but had overcome his embarrassment over these subjects, flew along side his walking friend and pointed out the obvious - she was no longer in the possession of any male friends she could pursue to such an end. She had effectively alienated Miykael, Voodoo had disappeared again (and besides, her feelings towards the shy unicorn were confusing), anyone in the Edge was strictly off-limits, and she couldn’t think of anyone else she knew. There was always the possibility of female friends, sure, and she had plenty of those… would have the same release?

These were the thoughts that were interrupted by the sight of someone else on the beach. At first, Alysanne felt embarrassed - but quickly reminded herself that it wasn’t likely this stranger had been reading her thoughts.

Hemlock continued to fly off down the beach while Alysanne decided to veer towards the stranger. Not with any intention of bringing up the subjects that had been on her mind - but because it had also once been a favourite hobby of hers to meet everyone she possibly could. With the rich scent of the sea and the warm light of the setting sun around her, she felt like herself again. Like “Aly”. Maybe it would be good to meet someone new, someone who didn’t think of her as a ‘queen’ or a ‘healer’ but just some random mare that decided to force her company upon them.

“The sunset is beautiful tonight, isn’t it?” She commented with a smile bright in her green eyes, as she drew up with the intention of standing beside him, her gaze flashing to his face before turning out to the sea and the wonderful spectacle unfolding before them.

*ALYSANNE
lying on the edge of a star

Aly had a lot to think about so THERE YOU GO
@Tarik
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Dragon's Throat Stallion
Odd

A wry smile tugged at Tarik's lips, thinking that he already knew who it was who approached him. He had met Iona - albeit briefly - only a week or so prior. She had been feisty, articulate, and her matter-of-fact attitude had been alluring. The painted mare was very much his type, though he'd had all shapes, sizes, and colours over his long immortal life and wasn't particularly choosey. Just as he was about to offer her an immediate drink from his flask once again, she spoke, and the illusion shattered.

The sunset is beautiful tonight, isn’t it? Her voice was like a flower petal, and her eyes glistened as if the sun was shining right into them. Definitely not Iona, he thought to himself, a curious smile pulling back his lips. "I think the sea is always quite beautiful." He replied, his voice richly accented; each word punctuated by the strange Nordic way his lips wrapped around them. Despite his brutish and rugged appearance, his voice sounded cultured and the smile on his face was an intelligent one. Though his eyes roamed over Aly's body making no attempt to hide his interest, he still appeared polite and well-mannered even as he did so.

"I also like watching the waves turn black, and then glisten with moonlight. Would you care to watch with me?" He inquired, his sea-blue gaze shining like the dying remnants of sun on the waves.

@Alysanne I SUCK SORRY.

tarik

For a moment, Alysanne worried that she had insulted him - but there was a smile on his face, and a moment later she didn’t miss how his eyes travelled over her body. So she hadn’t been too ridiculous with her opening line - either that, or he didn’t care what words came out of her mouth. Regardless, she felt herself straighten up on response to his gaze while she cast her own appreciative eye on him.

She couldn’t even remember the last time she had let herself enjoy the simple act of admiring. It was certainly an activity she enjoyed - a pity she had given it up, let it - as well as other pleasures - slip out of her everyday life the busier she got.

Her full attention returned to his face when he spoke again - speaking of the waves beneath the moonlight and asking if she cared to watch with him. Her smile wasn’t quite as bright this time, instead it softened and grew more relaxed as she eased to stand beside him. “I would like that.”

Despite the, in her opinion, near-brazenness of her gaze earlier she found that she didn’t know what to do next. What witty or charming comment she could make? Her gaze took in the incredible sight of the sunset before them and Alysanne was torn between the desire to learn more about her new friend and the desire not to interrupt the peace and beauty of the moment. She had very seldom been so unsure before and it further highlighted how utterly out of practice she was with meeting someone new, especially a wild-looking but attractive stallion.

So she settled for silence, for now, her mind racing to try to figure out how to strike a conversation.

*ALYSANNE

@Tarik
have some #awkwardaly
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Dragon's Throat Stallion
Odd

That was the thing about Tarik. There was an easy way about him. Objectifying those his gaze might have been, it was not carnivorous, as the gazes of other men's might be. Not necessarily hungry for the flesh, merely appreciative of it. Tarik was a man with a full belly appreciating a finely baked cake. He might have a slice or he might not. The rest of the word was a hungry dog, salivating and snapping for crumbs.

Even as Aly joined him, his ease seemed to roll off of his shoulders and towards her, like the ebbing tide. Though she might have found the silence awkward, he did not. Perhaps she would pick up on that, whether from the calm way he continued to breathe, the way his eyes dutifully took in the waves, or how he positioned himself so that he stood comfortably, rather than trying to maintain any sort of rigid stallion-like pose.

After a few moments though, he reached down and picked up a flask that had been at his hooves. It was ornately decorated, and as he moved it, tinkled slightly with the liquid that it held. He raised it to his lips (shhh I don't know how this happens either), allowing only a faintly honey-coloured droplet to escape, dripping down his chin. Looking out of the side of his eyes towards Aly, he held the flask out to her.

"A drink?" He offered kindly, though with no small flash of amusement in his sea-drenched eyes.

@Alysanne

tarik

Gradually, in the silence, Alysanne forgot to worry and obsess over whether or not she should be saying anything. Like the slow tapering of a rainstorm into a gentle sprinkling she relaxed and actually just enjoyed the sunset stretching out before them.

She had almost relaxed entirely (it was up for debate on whether Alysanne even remembered how to relax anymore) when the strange stallion by her side moved. She watched curiously as he picked up an object from the ground near his hooves and took a drink from the contents. Her gaze followed the honey-coloured droplet that escaped and dripped down her chin and she frowned in confusion. She might have thought it was water within, but she had never seen water that colour before.

Alysanne had just been about to ask what it was when he turned to her, offering the flask. And honestly, she had no idea how to respond. “Um.” Came her first eloquent reply, very obviously unsure - that frown still darkening her eyes. She didn’t know what was in it but he had drank from it - perhaps it was some sort of elixir? She wasn’t feeling particularly thirsty but it felt rude to refuse and she mistook the amusement in his eyes for a friendly grin.

“Alright.” Her hesitation was pretty obvious but she had never been harmed by something a complete stranger had offered her to drink before, and did not think to worry about what it might be. After all, he had drank from it first.  

Delicately as she could, Alysanne took the flask and tilted her head - knocking back a full swig of the liquid inside. Her eyes widened in surprise at the burning sensation it caused and she took great pains to not choke. She surely would if she tried to swallow the liquid in her mouth while still holding the flask so she carefully lowered her head to place it on the ground - between them so he might take it away - and then while her head was still lowered forced the burning liquid down her throat.

Her throat and mouth felt as though they were on fire and she coughed a few times before lifting her head to look him. She could feel heat flushing her face and she wasn’t sure if it was because of what she had just drank or from utter embarrassment at her reaction to it. “What is that?” She sputtered out, her voice a little strained but definitely more curious than she was accusatory. She was the one that had taken far too big of a sip, after all.

*ALYSANNE

@Tarik
made by the lovely tamme

Dragon's Throat Stallion
Odd

Aly's initial look of apprehension was met with nothing but a broad smile from Tarik, his eyes sparkling with the dying light of the setting sun. His gaze followed the flask as she delicately took it from him and then raised it to her lips. Although his eyes wanted to follow her lips as they parted, they remained on her own, widening as the first few droplets fell onto her tongue.

The look of surprise and the (hopefully) pleasant burning sensation he assumed she felt caused him to burst into a warm and guttural bray of laughter. Tears threatened to form in his eyes as heat rushed into Aly's face, painting it with a hue even brighter than the colours cast onto her by the sunset.

"I should have warned you that a smaller sip might have been best." He admitted, a boyish and clearly unapologetic glint in his eye. "It is, in my experience, the finest rum in all the world. This flask will never drain of it, even were you to hold it upside down, and so I certainly hope that it is the best, or I have made a mistake by placing it inside this particular flask." Again his eyes twinkled as his nordic accent punctuated his speech in a way that was entirely distinct from the common Helovian dialect.

Reaching out, Tarik took the flask back from Alysanne, allowing himself the opportunity to try and graze her gently as he did so. With another unapologetic smile, he raised the flask to his lips once again, and, without taking his eyes off of her, took another drink. "You will find that it grows sweeter with time." Tarik suggested, holding the flask out to the painted mare once again.

@Alysanne

tarik

The rush of heat that Alysanne felt in her cheeks only deepened at his laughter - at first from embarrassment but then the heat didn’t fade. It lingered and she wondered whether it was the drink. His warm burst of laughter was delightful, she realized, even though she wasn’t overly fond of what actions had caused it.

He spoke - enough words that she picked up his unique accent and marvelled in it - explaining that he should have warned her but that boyish grin made her wonder if he hadn’t done it on purpose. He went on to explain that it was rum and that the flask would never run dry - and even though Alysanne didn’t know what rum was she’d have to take his word for it that it was the best in the world.

She watched with a warm gaze as he moved to take the flask, grinning brighter when he grazed against her gently as he did. Her eyes were a little too focused on him - watching in fascination as he expertly took a drink with none of the awkwardness that she had. He offered it once more to her and she didn’t hesitate this time when she reached for it.  

Alysanne took just a small sip and moved delicately as though she was afraid of the contents. But, really, she was just afraid of coughing and looking ridiculous again. Later, her embarrassment would fade out of delight that she had brought a twinkle to his eyes - even though it had been completely by accident.

She savoured the taste this time - and though it made her eyes swim and her mouth burn still, it felt like warm sunlight as she swallowed it. One small cough escaped her but she laughed right after, shaking her head and then finding that action sent her brain swimming. Satisfied that she had been more successful this time she offered him the flask back. “You’re right, much sweeter this time.”

Alysanne closed her eyes, attempting to focus but finding that it was becoming a little harder. “That’s…” And then her eyes opened as she tried to find the right word, a lazy smile on her expression now as she looked at him. “Incredible.” The word was little more than a breath as she shuffled her wings, feeling the last of her apprehension and unease fade away as smoothly as the tide rolled back into the darkening horizon.

*ALYSANNE

@Tarik
made by the lovely tamme

Dragon's Throat Stallion
Odd

"Mmmm." He hummed, sea-blue gaze locked upon hers as she agreed that indeed it was sweeter the second time around.

As the sun began to bob on the sea like some fiery buoy miles and miles away, the light struck the beads that dotted Tarik's beard and those in his mane, making it seem as though crystallized blobs of colour had suddenly exploded in the dark depths of his hair.

Being immortal, the rum did not hit him quite as hard (certainly not because he had been a practicing alcoholic for a few hundred years), and so the next mouthful he took of the rum was significantly longer and slower. For the first time he closed his eyes, allowing his nostrils to pul in the salty sea air as he finished the drink. He allowed his dark-rimmed lids to remain closed for a moment longer, clearly not bothered by the fact that this would give Aly a chance to allow her gaze to linger on him, should she choose to. When his eyes finally did open, they turned away from her, out to the sea. Whether this was meant to play hard to get (that is, to offer his undivided attention to her so fully only to take it away), or because he had been serious when he had asked her to watch the sunset with him, was not entirely clear.

Though as he shifted his weight to a more comfortable position, he brought himself just a bit closer to her.

"I am Tarik, but the way." He offered, his words rolling out of his mouth carried by his strange accent, like a raft on the sea. "And you-" He turned towards her now, his voice suggesting that he was asking her name in turn. However before she could answer, he continued, "-are beautiful." Tarik's smile was genuine and wide, without a trace of self-confidence or shyness that some stallions might have had. After all, calling someone beautiful just after meeting them took the sort of confidence that Tarik had developed over centuries of life, and the words rolled easily off of his tongue with an unabashed honesty.

@Alysanne

tarik

When it came to the attention of others, Alysanne had long ago stopped worrying about whether she had it focused on her. The unique, fascinating stallion by her side was someone of few words but who had her attention. Perhaps a little more of it then was right for a random, new meeting - but she was actively trying not to stare - pointedly keeping much of her attention on the incredible sky and sea that stretched before them - casting gorgeous hues on her monochromatic skin and making her feel as though she was on fire.

Maybe that was the rum.

She took that moment when he closed his eyes to watch the way he seemed to be on fire too - it was consuming them both.

No, that is definitely the rum.

She shook her head and forced her head to turn back out to the sea so that he wouldn’t catch her staring at him. A smile twisted onto her features when he shifted his weight, and the gap between them closed.

Her ears flicked at his words as he introduced himself but she didn’t turn her head towards him until he continued after his small pause. Then she looked to him, intending to fill the gap with her name, only he beat her to it. The compliment made the heat in her face flush delightfully once more. Her green eyes looked into his, enjoying the wide and genuine smile that she saw there.

“I suppose my name is Alysanne…” She trailed off, a wicked sort of smile flashing in her green eyes. A look foreign to Aly but awfully similar to one that Iona might give. She shifted slightly, closing the gap between them a little more, and moving one of her wings with the intention of nudging him gently on the side as her gaze focused on him. “But I won’t object to you calling me beautiful.” The rum was making her feel weightless, her mind floating miles overhead and swarmed in rich, soft fog. Her body remained on the ground - but as she was in some pleasant company, she didn’t mind the separation so much.

“There…” The thought slipped from Alysanne as she tried to brush aside the fog in her mind - and her voice fumbled. But she didn’t find that she minded right now - or even noticed. “There’s a better name for you, but I can’t quite think of the word.” A delicate frown darkened her gaze then as she looked at him, really looked.

Somehow, beautiful just didn’t quite sum him up.

*ALYSANNE

@Tarik
made by the lovely tamme

Dragon's Throat Stallion
Odd

But I won’t object to you calling me beautiful.

"I wouldn't stop even if you did." He responded without missing a beat, the words flowing off of his tongue the way that the rum had flowed over it only moments ago. Tarik leaned with a practiced confidence into what was meant only to be a gentle brushing of his side. "The feeling of feathers.." He said, eyes trailing down to her plumage as he took in a satisfied breath. Goosebumps had raced across his shoulder and flank, and he seemed to be revelling in the feeling of them. "I had almost forgotten what they felt like."

"Words aren't always well suited for expressing certain things." Tarik replied, his voice taking on the buoyant coated-quality that hers had. The viking turned, returning Aly's gaze, taking one step closer to her. Without breaking eye contact, he raised the flask to his lips again. It took quite a bit to get the heat to rise in his body, but once it did, it frothed inside of him with a vengeance. "Ahhh." He almost whispered, lowering the flask, thinking better of it, and offering it to Aly once again.

"So beautiful," he began, saying the word as if it really was her name, and not just a pretty bit of flattery. As if truly suited her, the way that Alysanne did. "You've no one to rush home to, I hope. There's something I'd like to show you."

And it was true. There was something. But only if she wasn't otherwise taken.Tarik might have been a scoundrel and a viking, but he didn't particularly like to encourage adultery.

@Alysanne

tarik

Alysanne had been going somewhere with his comment about finding a word to describe Tarik - a compliment that she could use for his name the way he used beautiful for her - but the thought escaped her with his response. Just flickered right out of existence.

It had been good too - or so she thought. Something utterly smooth and impressive - something to show him that she could come up with a good line too.

But the thought was gone and there was no getting it back, not right yet. Luckily, despite how little she was adding to this meeting, it didn’t seem to matter. He wasn’t leaving, and they were standing close enough now that she imagined she could feel the heat from his body. For once, she wished for the absence of her wings - so that their sides could brush without the feeling of feathers between.

So, Tarik hoped she had no one to rush home to? She had to say, the opportunity for run-ins with exotic strangers was a strong stroke in favour of not being in a relationship. For a moment, Alysanne’s muddied mind wondered if this was a dream - some manifestation of desires not-so-hidden deep within.

But she quickly dismissed such musings - either way, she didn’t mind.

He offered the flask to her once more, and despite the hazy feeling in her mind she decided another sip couldn’t possibly hurt. It would only make her feel better, right? “Absolutely no one.” She responded to his question in a murmur before she moved to take the flask - but not without attempting to graze his cheek with her muzzle first. Then, delicately, she took the flask and took a sip, just a small one this time, before offering it back to him.

“Show me.” The request was still spoken in a faint voice once her mouth was free from the flask, eyes flashing bright with curiosity as she peered at him - as though trying to guess before hand what it was he wanted to show her.

*ALYSANNE

@Tarik
made by the lovely tamme

Dragon's Throat Stallion
Odd

[fully ignores horse anatomy because fuck this.]

"Watch-" He breathed, his mouth closer to her own now than ever, despite the fact that he didn't appear to have moved. It was as if the world (or more likely the rum) had simply spun them closer together without them even realizing it. With a care that his muscle-hardened and scarred body didn't seem capable of, he directed her gaze back out to see. Moving directly next to her now, he pressed his shoulders unhurriedly against her own. There was no hesitation on his part, no semblance of concern that she would pull away or tell him to stop.

"Don't take your eyes off the horizon-" He murmured directly into her ear. And, as if to ensure that she did not, the faintest ghost of his cheek pressed against her own as if to ensure that she was looking in the right place.

As the sun dipped almost below the horizon, a sight that many had not even seen before - and many more were completely unaware of - suddenly took place. The golden sphere of the sun suddenly flashed a dazzling green. The colour was electric and catastrophically different from the warm tones streaking across the sky. But just as quickly as it came, it was gone again.

"There-" He gasped, turning to face her and yet not pulling away. "Did you see it? It is only on clear nights that the green flash can be seen. Most of the world does not even know that it ever occurs. But now you have seen it. " Tarik concluded, as if this simple lesson in physics was the most closely kept secret in all the world. A secret he had chosen to share with her.

@Alysanne

tarik

It was hard to concentrate on the horizon with him as close as he was - hard to focus on anything but the faint whisper of his touch on her cheek - encouraging her to look outward when all she wanted to do was turn her attention on him. His shoulder pushed gentle against hers, her wing flattened between them now, and though it might grow to be uncomfortable later - Alysanne’s mind was a whir of delight.

But she listened to him and didn’t resist the gentle pressure to keep looking out - and she was very thankful that she had. Alysanne gasped as well, a quiet exclamation of her amazement as the brilliant and unnatural green flashed brightly across the sky - her eyes widening with hunger as she dared not blink to miss even a moment. But the brilliant flash of light disappeared as quickly as it had appeared. If he hadn’t spoken then, she might never have torn her eyes from that horizon, so eager was she to see it again.

His voice was close to her, close enough to send a shiver through her as he explained what it was - how rare of a phenomenon it had been, and how she was part of a select few that knew of its existence. Truly, she had lived through a decade without even a whisper of a mention of the green flash - and here, by happenstance, she had not only seen it but been in the company of someone who knew what it was.

She felt the flash still burning in her green eyes when she turned to him. “Thank you.” She whispered back, the only words she could think to say in the aftermath of what she thought was a precious gift. She shifted - allowing just a breath of air between their bodies - but her head moved to close the gap again. She had just needed a little bit of space to make it easier to touch him again, and not shoulder-to-shoulder. Her muzzle reached out to graze against his skin - his cheek, his neck, whatever she could reach with how close they were standing now.

*ALYSANNE

@Tarik
made by the lovely tamme

Dragon's Throat Stallion
Odd

[AWKWARD HORSE ANATOMY MAKEOUT SESH]

And then, with the same easy and confidence movements, he kissed her. In the space of a breath suddenly his lips were upon her, soft despite the course hair of his whiskers and beard. Despite the scratchiness of his hair, he was like an old blanket - familiar, warm, comforting. Pull him up to your neck and he'll cover you in all the right places.

For a moment his lips formed a shape as if he was going to say something, but then seemed to think better of it. Perhaps the rum had finally hit him, or perhaps he was simply intoxicated on the fact that after all these long years sharing a ship with only his brother and their wench, that he was finally in the company of someone who was more intelligent than the average mop and quite a deal better looking.

"No one to get home to-" he murmured into the soft flesh just behind her ear, stepping forward as if to pass beside her wing, "-and the whole night ahead of us. What ever shall we do."

His whiskers traced sea-shell patterns on her shoulder blades, up the curve of her wing, and then hesitating, if only for permission, just behind her joint.

@Alysanne

tarik

She eased into the feeling of his kisses and caresses, her mind far too hazy to realize just how much she had missed encounters like this. Well, not that she had ever done anything quite like this before but she could certainly find herself looking forward to repeats in the future.

Alysanne just smiled at his words, a soft and knowing chuckle the only thing to escape her - no vocal response seemed necessary. Each hair on her body felt as though it was standing on end with his touch as he moved - her eyes closing momentarily. When she felt him hesitate, however, her eyes flashed open and she turned her head back to regard him. With a gentle nod of her head, she encouraged him on - green eyes burning bright even in the growing darkness.

With the rum warm in her stomach and the stars twinkling into existence overhead as the last bits of the sunlight faded away, the night seemed absolutely perfect and now this? There were few more pleasant ways she could think to spend a night.

- fade to black -

*ALYSANNE
made by the lovely tamme