the Rift

Home Enough to Call it Home [Any]

Birch Posts: 37
Windtossed Foothills Warrior
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17.1 hh :: 84 Months
Adoptable

The god has assigned him a simple task, for even a wanderer could remain if he felt enough of a connection with a place. The Steppe had almost killed him once, the snow there almost chilled him to death; he longed for it in the warmer nights spent by the shore or in the forests. His return was in turn a triumphant one, one of a father coming home to his family with christmas presents and a cheery grin after a life lived too long in poverty. The father lived for the smiles on the faces of his children- Birch lived for the numbing, deadening feeling of the snow.

His hooves met the ice with little resistance and forced him to walk carefully, even as the wind blinded him with flakes of snow and a chill that cut through to bone. The Arborun smiled for one of the first times in a long time, forced breath from his lungs and watched as ice and snow falling hard from the sky pierced the cloud of his breath. His thin coat did little to keep out the cold, but his tough hide repelled the trickling sheet of hail as it flew down inconsistently. He felt on edge and alive on the brink of death, he felt safe and warm and content at last.

Even as the wind whistled deafeningly in his ears and his eyes and nose and mouth began to grow clogged with ice and snow, even as the bloody sap mixture that ran through his veins began to crystallize in the cold, he felt happiness. Blissful and undeterred; he longed for nothing else. Surely there were caves in which to hide from the dark night storm he could seek out... He thought absently that he should try to find them if he was able, that as long as he was able he was meant to live.

But one step proved to tire his muscles more than he could have pictured, and another led frozen legs to slip from beneath themselves. The giant fell and clashed to the ground slowly, naturally, as if this was all that was left for him. He could not think about moving on, could not focus enough to understand if he did or did not have the strength to move on. He simply lay there in the cold and watched as white took over his vision, breathed faintly as the ice began to form within him and cap over a dry tongue and wet teeth. In white silence, he waited and wanted to die.

Birch.   </style>

Osiris Posts: 88
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17.3hh :: 13.
Comadre :: Plain Black Dragon :: Fire Breath Boom Boom!

osiris</style>                                                      even holding on tight won't save us this time.</style>
image by Massimo Valiani @ flickr.com</style>

The first thing the collapsed mammoth in the snow would see would probably be the wiggle of a black body, shortly followed by bright, lively purple eyes which glimmer in the falling snow. Even at night, the blanket of white reflected the moon's glow so much that the world looked a dark gray, light enough to make out the scales and wings of the dragon as he scrambles closer to the stranger with curiously worried look on his face. As the reptile gets closer, the sound of air pulling in and out of his scaled nostrils becomes increasingly apparent, until the lizard is sniffing at the air around the lignea like a dog.

At the brush of a horse's breath, the dragon leaps back amazed, wings flare in surprise even as a disapproving voice comes from the blurry world behind him. "What are you doing, Comadre?" the soft crunch of paws in the snow is barely audible as another giant approaches softly. Pads of other feet linger in the air as well, altogether making up four sets of four padded feet. I think it's alive, the dragon says, flashing the image of the flat body of the stallion back to his bonded, who begins to move closer to where his black reptile stares up at him now. "Well, it won't be for long in this weather."

Black claws scrape the snow even as massive paws stop a few feet from the face of the strange, arbor laden stallion. Looking upward toward pillars of furry legs, you suddenly meet with the breast of a stallion, blanketed in a thick coat of fur. Unlike the thin coat on this stallion below, Osiris is fully equipped to handle the cold, winter storms, and even the massive hybrid is a tad uncomfortable in this cold weather. Lowering the strangely equine face, feral golden eyes stare out at the snow covered face of the outcast on the ground. "You're going to die if you continue to lay there."

"Get up," the wolf commands, even as three more curious onlookers approach. Little sister glances from the hybrid to the strange creature in the ground. A tree rides on his back, she notes, a sound of awe audible in her mental voice.
""

Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

OPHELIA </style>
Blame my cloven hooves, if I sink what does it prove?
I'll always be your prey
</style>

The wind was fierce today, and she narrowed her dual colored eyes against the flurry of white. Each breath she took burned, and her steps toward the protection of the Arch were shoved sideways. Tinek braved the winds well, and she finally tucked her chin to her chest and stood until the blizzard passed. The silence that followed the torrent of wind in her tulip hears almost deafening, and she could practically hear the snowflakes stacking onto one another on her back and lashes. A swiftly setting sun gave way to the night, thick curtains of vibrant, colorful light touching the starry sky. She moved forward, wind rustling her coat until a familiar voice carried on the wind. The pale mare turned her face and furrowed her brows, hearing the distinct voice of Osiris speaking to Comadre.

How did he always end up where she was? Or, how did she always end up where he was? This was starting to become a cruel joke of nature, and she was tempted to turn tail and leave without him realizing that she was there. However, her curiosity and her compassionate heart would not let them go without knowing that the pair were safe, so with an irritated snort, Ophelia moved her cloven hooves through the familiar snow in the direction of their voices.

Comadre was easy to spot against the snow, and Osiris came second. They both stood around an unnatural lump beneath the white powder, and she turned her head to the side curiously. Osiris was speaking to the lump, and Comadre was taken with it. Tinek, eager to get in on the drama, swooped down to land next to his charcoal elder with a wide, toothy grin. The silver jumped around excitedly before looking up at the wolf-horse and lowering his neck in embarrassment; he proceeded to hide unsuccessfully behind Comadre.

Ophelia arrived moments later, hearing the wolf tell the lump to get up, and she stared, realizing that a tree was moving as if a breath was pushing it. With a snort of surprise, she saw that the tree was attached to a pale equine, and her eyes widened. "What... is it?" she asked curiously, walking around behind Osiris and lowering her arched neck to the equine. "Sir, I believe you have a condition. How long has a tree been growing out of your back?" she asked with deep, honest concern. Did he get rain rot and the tree seeds settle in his flesh? Any scenario she could predict sounded horribly painful.

"My friend is right, though. You must get up." Ophelia shifted to stand behind him and nudged her nose against his pale, strong side. The kind mare pushed against him harder. "You dying here is not going to happen as long as I can help."

CREDITS: Boom Boom

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Birch Posts: 37
Windtossed Foothills Warrior
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17.1 hh :: 84 Months
Adoptable

The noise that followed was oppressive and distinctive. Around him snow crunched and the silence he had once enjoyed faded to one filled with heavy breathing, deep voices, and the rustle of fur. His eyes, as if frozen shut, refused to open, but his lips still somehow managed to part and his vocal chords still managed to create a voice. The whistle of the storm's air was drowned out by voices, voices that grew in number and insistency. Voices that told him to get up; something that he was not sure he could remember how to do, but knew he had no intention of doing either way. The arborun shifted in the snow, only to feel the ice burn in his veins as the blood and sap within his surface veins began to form crystals. The tree upon his back cracked and ached, the branches snapped with even the slightest movement. Eyes rolled in their sockets but lids stayed shut. The voice drifted, first a whisper and then a note held in the air.

"Fuck off."

Sharp and clear. Birch kicked out but his leg only slightly moved. He forced again, and at last it was able to extend. The process repeated itself as the body shifted and moaned. The sensation of another's touch was gone when it should have been the focus; in the numbing cold, he felt nothing. Nothing but a hatred for these beasts that surrounded him and spoke to him of impending death. As if they knew of death, if they saw it as a friend! Only six years of age with hundreds more to go and he longed for an end to this life.

How dare they deny him one. Hot breath expelled itself from his lungs and the same motion that lifted his massive draft form from the earth lifted his lashes to strike the frostfall winds. They called him an it as if he is a monster, or some hidden treasure they'd found and saved from a wretched face. He was no it, he thought with a grimace, and he had the genitalia to prove it. Still, they were foolish beings. First the frail looking mare and then the beast borne of mixed blood. Accompanied by creatures unknown to him, and shadowed by wolves. He looked at them all with an air of disdain and a sense of apathy. Yes, and he was the strange one.

With a groan he tried to take a step; to drag himself out of the bed of snow that had formed around his figure in the snow. But there was nothing beyond his will to stand. Strength had left him hours ago; pulled him to the ground and dragged him to the edge of hell. It would be quite some time before he would know such power again.

Birch.   </style>

Osiris Posts: 88
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17.3hh :: 13.
Comadre :: Plain Black Dragon :: Fire Breath Boom Boom!

osiris</style>                                                      even holding on tight won't save us this time.</style>
image by Massimo Valiani @ flickr.com</style>

"Ooffffffffffffffffffffffeeeeeeeeeeeeeee," Comadre calls into the storm, seeing the figure of ice much sooner than Osiris could ever have detailed her from the snow. His eyes squint and capture the red highlights of her hair and one gleaming crimson eye, the other's serene color too obscure in this white world. Without noticing, the wolf hedges off to the side, making way for the mare to come into the gathering behind him. Little sister settles in closer to Osiris, glancing over her shoulder occasionally as the unicorn mare makes her way to the scene. The silver on her back becomes visible as he leaps into the air, coming to settle next to Comadre, quite amazed that the younger dragon has taken to him in such a short amount of time. Cooing quietly, the black dragon exchanges a toothy grin, before looking up at his bonded. I think that he likes me, the little black says excitedly, never having made friends with another dragon before.

Osiris says nothing as Ophelia slides in to take a closer look at their friend in the snow.

A barking laugh rings out of Osiris as Ophelia mentions that this strange being has a tree growing out of his back. As if the large stallion would not have noticed several sapling sprouting from his shoulder, and the apt golden eyes watch as the large boulder of a body wriggles in the snow, limbs of the tree moving in time and cracking with the cold. "I believe the tree is part of him," the wolf says quite keenly, looking at the pristine white surrounded by fiery red. "Just like that horn sticking out of your head." Comadre chirps, already scuttling closer in the snow toward the unicorn mare's legs.

From the floor dusted with snow, Osiris picks up on the curse, spoken at a low volume but with unmistakenable force. "Look," he says, lowering his face toward the eyes of the creature, muzzle dipping into the snow as he speaks. "I didn't ask you to rise. I told you to." They are feral, strange, fierce, glowing the flurry of snow that settles around them, decorating each pelt with a thin blanket that grows. You should not make him move, brother, the female wolf chides her friend cautiously, gazing up at him with softened eyes. He has chosen this fate.

"I will not allow it." Glancing over toward Ophelia's feet, Osiris looks sharply at his bonded. "Comadre, find some branches besides our friend's here. Let's make a fire, since this ass refuses to move."
""

Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

OPHELIA </style>
Blame my cloven hooves, if I sink what does it prove?
I'll always be your prey
</style>

Ophelia could not help but smile when the tiny dragon screeched her name loudly and in his own way. She chuckled and returned her elongated cry with a playful one of her own. "Cccoommmaaaadddrreeeeee!" she returned. Tinek's long, scaled tail swung behind him excitedly as he watched the black dragon, waiting with ignorant glee as his bonded tried to get the tree-horse to stand.

Osiris laughed at her, and her tulip ears tilted to the side, lips settling into a tight grimace. She was obviously embarrassed, but she was trying valiantly to hide that fact. However, the wolf made an excellent observation that the tree was indeed a part of him like her horn was a part of her own physique. "Oh," she murmured, leaning down to try and help the earthen horse rise from the thick snow. "My apologies if I insulted you," she said to the grey. Comadre had moved over to her legs, and she grinned at him, catching his movement out of the corner of a devilish, crimson eye. When he got close enough, she reached out and nuzzled along his side affectionately, her whiskers tickling at his scales. Still, she was smart enough to avoid the sharp, pointed spikes along his spine.

A stern curse met her ears, and she snorted, jerking her head up in slight insult. However, those words coming from a half-tree stuck in the snow seemed rather comical after the initial brunt of anger. A smile moved past her lips now, and she chuckled just a little, waiting for Osiris to speak first. He chided the horse and then ordered the black dragon to go get sticks to make a fire. Ophelia nodded to Tinek who was tense and ready to follow, and the silver bounded after his charcoal friend excitedly.

Ophelia then watched the true wolf at his side and bowed her head again to the predator relative. Dual colored eyes recognized the female from the Foothills, having met them there earlier and guided the family to the mountains. "Hello again," she said to Osiris' sister before focusing on the grey again. Was she purposefully ignoring the wolf-horse? She did not care to analyze that at the moment, so she began to use her cloven, front hooves to move snow away from where they would build a fire. Ophelia was a lithe creature, but she was also rather large for her gender. Long, muscular limbs shifted the snow with graceful effort, and then she began to clear the snow that had built up around their friend.

"Do not worry," she murmured to the grey tree. "We will get you on your hooves soon enough." Tinek came racing back then with a few large sticks in his toothy jaws and his head crooked from their weight, and she snorted in amusement. With one of her hooves, she pointed to the clearing where he should set them down, and he did so rather obediently. Finally, her eyes slid to Osiris' golden orbs. "Should I send him for more?" she asked, her voice almost taking on a deeper, quieter tone.

[OOC: Hope it's okay that Phi tickled Comadre! :D ]

CREDITS: Boom Boom

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!