the Rift

If It Can't Sing, is it Still a Crow? (Joining/Open)

Crow Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
OOC:: Please be patient with this character. I'm trying something new, and hoping I can make his character work.

Balthazar 'Crow'
In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

High above the Threshold, a Pegasus fought against the cold wind. The updraft was choppy, proving a difficult fly. Below him, a vast plane of trees gave promise to shelter. There, a quarter mile ahead, was a small clearing. He sloped his powerful wings, slowly spiraling from the grey sky.

The great beast landed with a muffled thud in the snow. His wings ached, ice forming crisp and sharp between his feathers. Nope, flying wasn't happening today. He extended his great wings with one, two, three strong beats, dislodging as much frost as possible, before closing them tight to his sides. He let out a small huff, and shook his head. He hadn't seen another soul for miles, and was desperate to find someone, anyone, to share this loneliness with. If he could, he would call out, hoping his words could reach ears of another to come and join him, or atleast direct him towards herd lands where he could join a band.

Silver eyes, which matched the clouds that hung low above him, surveyed his surroundings. Trees reached up with gnarled fingers, scraping at the sky. Few birds roosted in the creaking boughs, adding more to the lonely landscape. He reared up, his powerful pillars striking and pawing at the air. He threw his head back, opening his jaws as if to cast out a mighty, trumpeting whinny, but all that escaped was a puff of misted breath. He came back down, pawing the ground with an obsidian hoof, frustrated. Every aching dragging day was a reminder that he was cursed, crippled. Try as he might to stay optimistic, it grew hard.

He began moving forward, his strides smooth and long. He had formed sleek muscles from his miles of travel, on hoof and wing. But his strength couldn't ward off this biting cold. It seeped between his feathers, nipped at his ears, and numbed all his senses.

Suddenly, he lurched forward, his thick legs rocketing him forward. He bounded through a drift of snow, laughing in silence and tossing his mane. He bounded like a young colt, and for the moment, forgot anout his loneliness, his pain, his memories of home. His antics upset the small murder of ravens, and they made a short racket and took off from the trees. Balthazar chased after them, his powerful legs driving him into the thickness of the forest.

Unregistered
::Bump::

Tor Posts: 197
World's Edge Nurse
Mare :: Equine :: 17.1 :: 9
Adoptable
[Image: tor_banner_2_by_ladyfey-d5fo3st.png]
After Ophelia had talked to Tor of the Gray, after Tor healed the ex-Edge, Tor finally felt like she was going somewhere in her new life. After the shaman's death, for a while she had felt lost, lost in the wind whispering. A natural healer, the white mare was empathetic and kind, a truly selfless soul in this world that can be so dark. Originally, Tor had planned to leave immediately to the Dark Forest, but she had enjoyed the slow loops around Helovia, walking and exploring the small details of life, coming to terms with the healing of the ex-Edge, thinking of Ophelia and their swiftly blossoming relationship.

It was no surprise when the large, pretty but not gorgeous mare came across the handsome stallion and was concerned to see him flitting off. White ice coated black wings, and the stallion, after quickly cleaning them, reared, jaws parting. But no sound. Then, just as swiftly, he leaped and bounded away, playing like a colt. "Hey! Come back!" Tor burst into a canter, feathered legs crashing through the thick snow, following the hoofprints and the white blurs of the stallion, movement against the deep white.

"talk talk talk"
move move move
think think think

Word Count: ???

Image Credit

Unregistered

Balthazar 'Crow'

Crow slid to a stop when he heard a voice call out to him. A single ear flicked back and her turned his head. Almost lost in the soft white of the snow emerged a delicate mare, her grey paint clashing with her surroundings. He dropped his head, embarrassed, and spun on his heels to face her. His cold silver eyes met her warm brown hues. Hello, ma'am, he wished to say, but all he could do was release a soft huff of frozen breath.

The grey trees around them ached and creaked with the cold. A rough breeze kicked up the snow he had churned while running, and swept it into a small cyclone around the pair. Framed between a corridor of trees, he contemplated turnin and continuing his trail, worried to face the criticizing words and disgusted actions that usually accompanied newcomers to his condition.

He took a cautious step forward, careful not to send the mare running. His looming size would easily provide something to be wary of, but there was a softness in his face. He slowly approached her. His large wings were held clamped to his sides, only exposing bits of black feathers. He approached until he was about a leap away and stopped, stomping a single black hoof. He let out a few small snorts.

[/quote]

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable
Puffing slightly, the mare slowed, brown eyes alert and interested. One ear swiveled back to her, followed by a silver head. Both of them were giants, Tor noticed- him maybe even a tiny bit smaller. The healer watched the stallion tighten white wings to his back, clamping them down. He was hard to read. A puff of silver air left the gray pegasus' mouth. Slowly, he approached, head lowered, not submissively but almost nervously, as if he was frightened of scaring her off.

Tor frowned. Was there something wrong with him? Why wasn't he speaking? He stopped, one hoof stomping the ground, a couple of sorry snorts leaving him. Was he... mute? You would be surprised she dawned on this conclusion so quickly, but then again, the mare was a healer. In fact, she tried to heal him right there and then- her consciousness delved into his vocal cords, examining them from every angle, but to her dismay, it was such a mangled, mixed, tangled, perplexing complicated mess it was impossible to heal.

"I'm Tor. I'm a healer. You... can't speak, can you? What's your name?"

"talk talk talk"
move move move
think think think

Image Credit

Unregistered

Balthazar 'Crow'

He nodded heartily at her guess. Surprised she was so quick to catch on, it meant les charades he would have to play to lead her to the conclusion. He eased a knee and dropped his sleek, sloped neck down, gesturing to his throat. Many a healer and shaman had attempted to heal his damaged voice, but to no avail. Opening his grey maw again, he let out an exaggerated exhale, followed by a toss of he's head and a silent laugh.

Prompted for his name, he assumed his favorite gesture. Taught to him by his mother, it was a slight reminder of his old home. He spin on his heels to face away from the lovely mare, and threw himself upwards into a triumphant rear. His front lets flailed, flashing black hooves before him. Hisassive spread of feathers snapped out, and, set between his wingspan, settled into the saddle of his back, rested a regal crow-shaped splash of black. He gave a few strong beats of his wings, stirring up snow in a small whirlwind.

Done with his small dance, he landed back down on all fours, and spun back to face her, leaping forward to close the gap. Her looked at her, pleased, each ear facing forward. He leaned in and rested the soft tip of his muzzle on her forehead. He wanted to know her name, know more about this Intellegant mare.

[/quote]

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable
Tor watched in some fascination as, apparently surprised and evidently relieved by her quick thinking, the handsome stallion gestured towards his throat. "Tried to heal. I'm so sorry." Tor apologized, sorrow clear through her very being. It was clear it was agonizing to not be able to heal someone.

Again, she watched in amazement as the stallion performed an elaborate dance of sorts in response to about her name. Wings sweeping and body moving, all seeming to point towards a black crow seemingly painted onto his white back. It was fascinating how well he managed to 'speak'. As for his name... Raven? Crow? No, Crow seemed better suited for a stallion. "Crow...?" Tor murmured, asked so softly. He approached, his white ears flickered forward eagerly, and rested his muzzle sweetly on her forehead. A tingle ran through the healer's body.

"I'm Tor." She repeated again, as if by saying that she made sure it was firmly embedded in the intriguing stallion's mind. "I know I'm running on quite a bit, but I think I have a home for you... and I also think I know where you might be healed. It's rather complicated, but there are gods here in Helovia. They, if any, will be able to heal you. They can do close to anything. Do you want to come with me to the gods? Or do you want to come with me to my home first?" She waited, as if he would give a reply, then shook her head. "Sorry! Nod your head twice if you want to see the gods. Or nod your head once if you want to come with me to a home where you'll be protected and sheltered." Of course, he didn't have to come, but she did very hope.

"talk talk talk"
move move move
think think think

Image Credit

Unregistered

Balthazar 'Crow'

Tor. He mulled the name over in his head. It was a strong name, a name that refreshed his own foal name. He fully evaluated the mare, imprinting her form in his mind. He marveled that she appeared slightly larger than him, and he enjoyed the sound of her voice. Before he grew to accept his muteness, he held a bitter resentment to all other creatures that could speak. But now, he enjoyed the sounds, and learned to recognize others by it. She was sharp as a talon, as well - he admired that. Then she mentioned the gods.

There were gods here? He had heard legend, stories retold countless times of gods who responded directly to the prayers and requests of the horses. But to perhaps gain voice? To perhaps live without having to use sign language as his only mode of communication? He already knew his wish- to communicate everything with a single touch. For horses to hear is proud voice through the softest touch, his smooth tenor, or even feel his rush of emotion, or perhaps a memory.

But he wished to experience this new land more. Frostfall was upon them, its bitter cold pressed onto his skin and bones as a reminder. A god to grant him the light of communication should truly be present towards the warm summer months. And Tor mentioned a home. Perhaps that meant more horses, more of his kind to accept him. The offer was an attractive one at the least. He glanced around him- the bare trees, the barren land and sky; a herd would help soothe his wariness on his journey.

At the last reply, he rolled his eyes, a smile brimming on his long face. He gave a single nod, declaring his need for a herd, a need for community, outweighed his immediate need for a voice. Perhaps this paint mare could provide a voice for him in the new land. He walked softly past her, tossing his head towards the sky. Show me the way, he wished to say. Tell me your story.

[/quote]
[/quote]

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable
OOC: {Tor is an outcast and part of a mercenary group called the Grey. He'll become an outcast if you want him to accompany Tor, and can participate in the thread here- Welcome to the Grey.}

Tor wished she could communicate more effectively with him. He was a puzzle, a handsome puzzle, and despite the lack of words, he seemed genuinely sweet. The stallion seemed to be thinking, silent, not withdrawn persay, but unspeaking.

At last, his great head bobbed, and he walked a few steps past her. With a sweet chuckle, Tor trotted past him. "It's a bit of a long journey, and we'll be with a herd of mercenaries. But I'm sure you can find something to do- maybe travel with me and heal?" Tor slowed to a walk, admiring the beauty of the day. "See, here, is the Threshold. It's a big forest, and to our left, we have the Deep Forest. On the right, we have mountains and the Windtossed Foothills, a home to all breeds of animals. I suppose you could seek out a real home if you wanted..." Tor's voice faltered. She didn't want this stallion to leave. "If we head straight, we reach a big meadow and fast rivers. To the south, we have the Veins of the Gods, where the gods and goddess are most likely to hear your pleas, as well as marshes, volcanoes, deserts and an ocean. But we'll be heading into the Deep Forest, to find Ophelia, one of the leaders of the Gray. Um... sorry, I really am running on." Tor gave another laugh, her sweet face seeming even kinder than ever.

"talk talk talk"
move move move
think think think

Image Credit

Unregistered

Balthazar 'Crow'

Crow surveyed his confined environment, listening keenly to the painted mare's words. He imagined the sweeping lands, the rolling hills and peaked mountains she described. But it would be lonely with nothing, as he couldn't even speak to himself to fill the void silence brought. He brought his silver pools back to her and shrugged, following that by a soft nod. The grey. It sounded mysterious, a new adventure. He leaned against the kind mare, touching his shoulder to hers, and nudged her jaw, hiring for her to lead him. He side-stepped, givin her her space as not to overwhelm her.

In his head, he imagined things to say to her. He wished to communicate, let his smooth voice drip like honey to share his story with her, to simply speak. Perhaps along the way he could meet someone who could hear his thoughts. But until them, he could enjoy listening happily in silence to the pretty mare beside him. That was the best he could offer until the bitter cold lifted, leaving him a doorway to question the gods.

::OOC: sorry for the short post, and from what I've read Ophelia can read minds. That may prove a valuable asset to him.::

[/quote]