the Rift

[OPEN] Salutations

Cassius Posts: 46
Aurora Basin Haurspex atk: 3.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.0h :: 4 [Birdsong] HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
mar

CASSIUS❃

He follows the coast to his right. Out from the glaciers that encapsulate the Basin, trepid steps taking him closer to his target. Cassius would have preferred a companion, rather than risk the journey himself. Not entirely certain if they would receive his presence kindly, or dismiss him without the proper referral from his herd.

Cassius moved ahead regardless on his own volition, determination propelling each stride. The fear of confrontation ate away at his nights – making sleep infrequent and rare the closer he approached. He did however, have the coast to ease his soul. The sight of the ocean and the defiant peaks of his ‘home’, cradled his doubts with the thought that he had somewhere to belong.

With a quiet sigh he began to sing as the day began. The sun slowly rose, providing heat and light, and reassurances that a visit would be fine. Especially on academic terms – or so he assumed… The doubts, the fears, they drew back into his skull to allow the steady beat of his legs provide the cadence to his song. Reminding him of simpler days, the pleasure that came with discovery, and the excitement that drew him ever on.

He was not expecting the spikes when they glittered in the sun. Unveiled by the thinning mists, and cutting haphazardly between him and the prevailing coast. The stallion stopped as the light ocean breeze swept through his hair, jostling it slightly as surprise and wonder inhabited his eyes.

“Ah… Wow.” Cassius had seen walls before. But none of them built with glass. And quite suddenly he was thrown back to the world that had torn his family apart. The world that drew on military superiority to have its way with one another, distrust in foreigners. His brows knit together in a troubling frown. He cast his gaze back on the coast he’d just left behind, and teetered on whether it was worth risking his life for a simple chat.

Pressing his lips together he let out a disgruntled hum. “I can’t.” He said rather pointedly to himself. And brought his gaze upon the looming spines of the wall. He wasn’t going to be a coward for the rest of his life – he thought. And if he could challenge that belief now, why shouldn’t he take it?

Certainly he was worth something to the Basin. The thought did not comfort him however; even as he persisted – closer now to the wall, but lending ample space between. He was not in a position to test out his Basin theory.

Carefully then, he followed the wall. Gaze searching for a possible entrance, a guide, herd member, for specters in the distance.
Image Credits

Sacre Posts: 274
World's Edge Emissary atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 5 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Inari :: Red Fox :: Heal & Ríona :: Common Kitsune :: Electric imi

As often was the case, Sacre was dozing near the border, a pile of foxes curled up on his back and one foot always resting as the sun rose to colour his cheeks in a reddish blush. The sleepless nights were taking a toll, his thoughts always rolling back to Nyx, her dying breathes, the children she left, Kaos and his monster. The horror in his chest often rose up to rob him of breath and clear thought until finally his heavy lids won the battle for sleep, resting under the canopy of a generous tree, woke now and then by two foxes who returned from their nocturnal activities. As dawn appeared, he roused and moved, then dozed again, ambling along the border as he did out of habit. Roux. If ever he came back, he would have to pass through the gate to avoid the hideous spikes in the ground, so this was always where Sacre lingered when resting, in hope and desperation. Though these days he wasn't sure if he wanted to see him, selfishly pleading his brother to remember the smiling playful twin, not this one, the one who failed to save a life and moped around like a spare part because guilt was hanging over him like a guillotine. He half expected the Moon Goddess to descend from her moonlit throne and take back her power that she has to stupidly misplaced. It was these thoughts that dragged Sacre in and out of his doze in frightful fits. 

They didn't notice the disturbance on the other side of the spike riddled border until Sacre saw a whisper of white moving in the distance, making his heart leap into his mouth and his eyes grow wide. "Hey" he whispered urgently to his sleeping foxes "hey" Inari opened one eye, Ríona still ignored him completely, it was morning after all and she'd had a long night, the kitsune was never the one who paid most attention to Sacre. Inari could be convinced. 

"Whaaaaaaat" he complained groggily into the fox-boy's head, never opening more than just one eye "a ghost, I think I saw... a ghost" Sacre breathed, almost feeling Ríona's eye-roll despite her dozing still on his back. "Where" Inari exclaimed, getting up finally, both eyes open, stretching his body free of stiffness before jumping off to investigate. Sacre waited, trusting a fox's stealth over his own... Could you creep up on a ghost? Weren't they the ones who usually did the creeping. However, when Inari returned he didn't look at all frightened, only curious, his beady eyes glinting in the dawning light "no ghost, Caaa-uh Casus?" who the hell was Casus? 

Sacre frowned, wisdom telling him not to second guess a fox, they often got names muddled up in their heads as if they cared little about what they were called and more about who they were. Intrigued, the Doctor disappeared into the woodland, jostling Ríona as he did so and displacing the annoyed kitsune onto the floor, she joined Inari at a bound, shooting the odd scowl at Sacre. He reappeared out of the woodland by the gate, opening it and shutting it once he was on the other side, then made his way towards the ghost in the night he had thought he had seen. To his great surprise he did indeed recognise the stallion, his pale coat, curved horn and longer than usual ears. "I thought you were a ghost for a moment" he came to a halt wherever the stallion was, smiling a greeting whilst two foxes gaze up from beneath his chest.

He was the one in the Threshold they had met so briefly, was he not? "Cassius, right?" he asks, making sure of his memory first. Though only just outside his home, Sacre became suddenly aware of how isolated the wall of spikes made him, there was only one way back into the Edge if you didn't have any wings. "What brings you here? Can I help?" he offered, wondering what brought a Basin horse so close; business or curiosity?

when I walk in the street... the street to the sacred heart
I remember the promises in the name of love

ellipsiem

@Cassius

There's something wretched about this
Something so precious about this

❚ Force permitted!
❚ Please tag me!

mar

CASSIUS❃

As the stallion meanders, his thoughts drift back to the Rift Gods. What the whole business was between them and the Helovian Gods. And found it mildly interesting that there were ‘other’ gods in different… realms? Universes? It puzzles the stallion as he questions whether knowing more of the Riftian Gods will help his cause at all. Or if the rules changed some how, by some cosmic, unforeseen switch that has yet to be discovered.

With a quiet sigh, he regarded the pointed spikes with a raised brow. “Don’t suppose you know anything, hm?” He offers the wall and his contorted reflections a defiant, pleasant smile - if only love could really melt these walls, he teases in the back of his mind. But he knew he doubted love in some respects. That there was evil out there in the world, and there was evil people who enjoyed doing evil things – or cared little for morality.

“I thought you were a ghost for a moment.”

Cassius halts as the figure materializes out from the mists. At first stiff, and paralyzed that he’d been found. Cassius’ ears burn in that instance, and forget to recall the stallion’s familiar voice. The inviting smile deters the complete seizing of muscles however; and Cassius shrugs off the temporary, brief ‘deer in the headlights’ stature with a slightly nervous laugh. Offering up a weak smile in return.

“Yes! From the Threshold… Actually the Basin, but – yeah. Sacre, yes?” A quizzical brow rises, as Cass finally glances at the two pairs of gleaming eyes underneath the stallion’s bodice. Offering them an amused grin, and a small tilt to his head.

He brings his gaze back to the stallion. Who appeared friendly, and began to ease the stallion’s doubts about the World’s Edge. Sacre’s crimson horn did not harbor signs of impending death; compared to the brooding individual they’d happen upon in the Threshold.

“Hopefully! I’ve come on my own volition, not on behalf of the Basin. But… as a Disciple I am seeking knowledge about the Rift Gods, or the Gods in general if I cannot find much about their Rifitian counterparts.” He nods to solidify his words, still trying to shake of the nervous tinge in his gut. “I am open to all sources. Although… I wouldn’t mind connecting with your disciples. I, ah…” Cassius pursed his lips in thought.

“I’m fairly new to this world, and rank. I was curious how your people approach their duties in this area. Or, possibly extend ties. If that’s possible… I’m not really in a position to say so. But I could bring word back to the Basin for discussion.” He provides a carefree shrug, and unravels his lips into a more comfortable smile. Swishing his tail, hopeful.
Image Credits

@Sacre :: Inari & Ríona are adorable XD

In truth, after realising he wasn't a ghost (which was also a great relief), Cassius was a welcome respite from Sacre's haunting nightmares. At least the Basin dweller gave the fox-boy something else to think about for a moment rather than letting his mind linger on death and tragedy. His eyes creased as his smile widened when Cassius even remembered the healers name and he snorts in humour, nodding soon after "yes, Sacre, from the Threshold" the fox-boy had been relieved to have had another by his side that day. After all, the unicorn they had met didn't seem to be very happy about his offer of help and things got tense quite quickly. Now here they were, face to face again, chatting freely outside the walls of the edge as the sun was making his steady rise—he liked these small connections. From below his chest, nestled between his feet, a pair of foxes began to creep forwards, their little button noses wiggling as they investigated this northern visitor. "I hope you don't mind" the healer nodded at his two curious friends "they're quite nosy creatures" he added, smiling fondly at them. 

Cassius revealed his reasons for visiting and Sacre listened intently, nodding his understanding, wondering if he should send for a seer or one of the philosophers. His brow had clouded at the mention of the Rift, the start of all his troubles, the reason Aviya had died, where Kaos had grown only to later cause the death of Nyx; the brave warrior he couldn't save. The healer thought a moment before shooting a glance at Inari, "can you see if you can find one of the Seers or their helpers?" he asked the elder fox, who gave him a reproachful look before disappearing into the mists, leaving his kitsune sister staring after him.

"Hopefully a wiser member than myself will turn up soon, but I can help you as much as I can for now, were you not here for the invasion of the Rift Gods?" he asked Cassius, though he didn't really want to recall the Rift invasion and he haltingly sifted through his memories before regarding the northerner curiously. "It was a bloody sight to see" pain twisted across his face at the memory of the one battle he had seen and he tried hard to mask his shame—he had fled from that fight like a coward. 

However, on the topic of extending friendly relations Sacre smiled, he could see no reason why not, though the authority of such matters did not lie with a Doctor, but rather a King and Queen along with their chosen Seer. "I don't know much about being a... uh—disciple, I know a little of the Gods" his brother was half of one after all "but I would think exchanging information with the Basin may be helpful, especially given the current chaos... if anything I can relay your thoughts to our leaders" he grinned, putting his best diplomatic hat on, half wondering if he was saying the right thing and half hoping someone else would appear to give a more definitive answer.

"How is the Aurora Basin anyway? I haven't seen Lord Deimos for years... Do you like living in the mountains?" he wryly grinned, remembering Cassius saying he was relatively new and Sacre still had a soft spot for his old northern home.

ellipsiem

@Cassius haha thank ya <3 sorry for the wait also! I prodded the Edge room for some wise ones/knowledgable characters to stop by (if any do, feel free to PP Inari finding you) to help him out :)

❚ Force permitted!
❚ Please tag me!

mar

CASSIUS❃

A raucous laughter springs from Cassius’ chest, when the crimson and ebon stallion responds likewise. Carefree, as it were – compared to the previous tension that had swelled within him. It is with a breath of fresh air, that he nodded with an amused voice.

“Sacre of the Threshold.”

His gaze inevitably follows the appearance of the foxes. Gleaming wildly despite the presence of the mists. Tilting his head in a most curious pose. “Oh – not at all! I’m afraid I’m not aware of what they are… Foxes, I assume. But one of them has more than one tail…?” He frowns, wondering if his eyes are playing tricks.

As Sacre sends his fox to fetch for one of those he speaks of, he listens with a soft smile. Shaking his head with the mentions of the Riftian Gods. “No. I… I was castaway in another land.” His brows furrow, more so in concern as his acquaintances features break with – fear, hurt? In either case, it appears as if a moment of hesitancy takes his fellow. Cassius’ ears fall back briefly, timid – by the idea that he has caused some unknown memory to unleash and burden his companion. He knows too well of this possibility, and feels obligated to tread lightly.

“Ah…” It’s hard to come up with something intelligible. Something light, neutral, but nothing can erase what Sacre must have seen. If the outward haunts are any indication, the topic itself will be a struggle to endure and extract.

The memories are put on hold however. The topic of diplomacy salves the stallion’s thoughts – at least for the time being. “That would be helpful. About the Gods, I am quite limited on their knowledge. Other than where their patron herds reside.” He gives a simple nod. As for the exchange of information, the gray grins back with a brief chuckle, “Please do. At least from the mouth of a disciple, otherwise… I might be stepping my boundaries.” He ducks his head and laughs. Truly though, Cass wasn’t completely sure what his duties entailed. Seeing how Frost Fyre appeared absent for the time being, he only had the leaders to answer to; and that felt… startlingly frightful.

“Oh, the Basin…,” the subject is one that gives pause. It is strange how this news has not carried over to the other herds. But it appears a common theme, that is not easily broached or bartered with – because the truth deserves its dues. Cass’s expression wilts briefly, uncertain and hesitant. His gaze briefly shifts to the mists that blot the landscape. Searching for the right words, worthy enough to herald the Basin’s most beloved of lords.

“Unfortunately Lord Deimos passed late Frostfall.” Who was Sacre to the late Lord? He will find out soon enough. He gives an apologetic smile. “The Basin has been rather quiet since his passing… Carrying on. I did not know him personally, but their loss was palpable at the time.” He shakes his head.

“Death is not a merciful thing, after all.” It takes and takes, and it is relentless. And despite his efforts, he is not immune to its presence that permeates the Basin’s frigid air.
Image Credits

@Sacre    :: oh no worries! I am late also... ;___;'

The sudden laughter that filled the air, loudly erupting from his northern friend, drew a large mirth filled smile across the fox-boys face until he too joined in, his boyish tones joyfully bubbling into the air as the tension dissipated. Sacre of the Threshold. Another title to add to his growing odd collection, along with the likes of King of Spies, later to be renamed King of Fools, one that Sacre could do without. Yet, his foxes had insisted that really, in the end and despite the injured looks he threw them, he suited it. He would much rather be called Sacre of the Threshold "I do spend a lot of time there" he said with a humorous snort. Perhaps he should set up camp and start a new herd—or was that cheating? He set his tickled thoughts aside for now, however, as he briefly turned his attention to Ríona, who was parading around with her tails dancing behind her, basking in the attention she received from Cassius.

"Ah, she's a Kitsune, or well, a fancy kind of fox in plainer terms" he chuckled, ignoring the pointed stare she gave him before her voice boomed into his head, FANCY?! the tone spoke volumes and Sacre winced visibly. "Careful not to insult her mind" he muttered to Cassius, throwing a reproachful look at the cape fox who had now turned her back on her ignorant Doctor who quite obviously had no idea just how lucky he was to have a creature like her by his side. Sacre gave the Disciple a droll half smile "you might have a companion or two yourself one day" he winked and sighed, before moving onto the more serious subjects.

For a moment, he pondered what else he could say about the Riftian Gods. He truly didn't know a lot about them, he was sure not many others did either, at least not what they actually were, though perhaps the arrival of Kaos would prove to be more enlightening—though Sacre was certain he didn't really want enlightening. Not if it was Kaos doing the teaching. Yet, he tried to say a little more, not wanting to leave Cassius disappointed, but knowing he probably would anyway "they came through portals from another world, the Rift Gods that is, and invaded parts of Helovia. We fought against them and our own Gods helped seal the rifts, or so they said" he paused, thinking of the Sun God when he had briefly stood to fight, leeching the Crocodile Gods blood with his magic, and then of the Earth God when Kaos revealed himself "the Rift God I fought was in a form like that of a Crocodile" he shuddered at the memory. For now, he left it there, waiting for questions should Cassius have any, but Sacre was reaching the limits of his knowledge. 

"Of course" he smiles, agreeing to convey his wishes to share knowledge, "I see no harm in asking" perhaps the wise ones might be happy for the opportunity, or maybe they would resent him for suggesting another task to complete. Either way, the decision was not his to make. 

Their easy conversation took a downward turn soon after, at least for Sacre, who stared at Cassius in shock when he told him of Deimos' death. He didn't even know Lord Deimos could die. The shock melted into a great sadness and he dropped his gaze to his feet, he never knew the Reaper personally, not like his father had, but Deimos had been Lord when he had been born there. It was always something he regarded as a constant, never even thinking that he might die. For some reason, he felt like part of his past died with him. As if an era was over. "No, though sometimes its a greater mercy than life" he looked at the Disciple sadly "I never even thought he would ever die" shaking his head with disbelief.

"I must visit you in the Basin one day, if I may? I was born there and sometimes I miss it" then a thought occurred to him and he gave Cassius a challenging glance "perhaps you will have learnt more by then, and you can tell me all about it?" he winked then laughed. He would very much like to know what the Disciple learnt on his journey here.

ellipsiem

@Cassius <33

❚ Force permitted!
❚ Please tag me!