the Rift

[OPEN] No rush when there's nowhere to go

Syrena Posts: 207
Dragon's Throat Forger
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 hh :: 7 years
Thelxiepeia :: Royal Rougarou :: Water Kyra

i want to be wild, beautiful and free

She had stood to the side and watched, as she always does. Watched as others took a stand, picked a side, fought for the things they loved and believed in. Wondered, as she watched, just how their hearts could be so large without being broken into bits every time the world went wrong. And it always went wrong. Yet some stood for Helovia and the Gods without question, never stopping to realize that their supposedly all powerful Gods had done nothing to stop this. Had not, it seems, even seen this coming. Others took the side of Kaos without question. He’d lied to them and let loose a monster on part of Helovia. Yet they found their way to his side.

She admits, his side is tempting. But she won’t pledge herself blindly, won’t follow without knowing just where it is she follows him too. She followed the Earth God only for what he could give her, though he took those things from her just as quickly as he gave them. That is the problem with gifts. That is the problem with Helovia. Where once her magic was hers, now it was just a gift. Little gifts handed out like pieces of candy for a job well done. Rewards, to keep the horses of Helovia doing what the creatures and the Gods of the land needed.

What had it gotten her? Nothing. She was without a home; all she’d done to serve the Falls meaningless. Their Earth God had been quick to leave them when the going got tough. But she remembers Kaida now, the way the girl stood there so sure of herself, fire burning around her, dancing across her back. So it’s to Kaida she goes now. Why? In truth, she’s not exactly sure. But where else is she going to go?

The Edge holds no allure to her as a home, but the girl had offered to let her see it. Maybe that doesn’t hold still, but really, she’s going because she wants to talk to the fiery little princess. She wants to know what makes her so sure that she stands on Kaos’ side without question. Truthfully, she just wants something to do that isn’t wallowing in self-pity. It had taken her far too long to dig herself out of that hole when she’d first come here. She doesn’t want to bury herself again.

The day is warm and pleasant, as Birdsong goes. She makes her way to the Edge slowly, ambling because there’s no rush when you have no place to return to. Eventually, she finds large glass spikes blocking the perimeter of the herd, and she wonders briefly what would make such a supposedly welcoming herd stick up glass spikes. Not the most welcoming greeting. So she keeps walking, the spikes a rather large distance to the right of her, refusing to get close. Who knows what magic controlled those things, or what might jump out if she made one wrong step.

Eventually, she finds a gate that looks like she might actually be able to enter here. Though she doesn’t enter, knowing better than to start wandering around a herd she doesn’t live in. Something would definitely bite. So she just stands there, figuring they would find her soon enough.

syrena

just like the sea

@Kiada - if you have time? Syrena wants to chat :)

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Reli

Kiada Posts: 181
World's Edge Nurse
Filly :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 2 years - Birdsong
Khairi :: Leucistic Lammergeier :: Paralyze Skylark
Kiada

It had been a bit of time between the entrance of Kaos and his bone creature, and during that time she had learned to deal with everything that had occurred during that time. She had proclaimed her support of the devious God, and in turn received many points of avoidance from others. For what, she could understand (at least on the surface). She’d play along when her mother confronted her about it, but wouldn’t actually believe the things she said. The god had power and power was what the child craved. Even with the confrontation and anger from others, she also had to deal with the fact of her brother and how despite trying to protect the both of them with her new-found magic, that it had failed and still sent her beloved twin sprawling across the earth.

Perhaps she was more powerful and worthy than she thought, though she dared not say it. She had begun to spend her days away from her family, though within the boundaries of the Edge. Finding places to hide and work on her magic, on how she could control the fiery vortexes to do her bidding. She wasn’t very good at it, and while she had almost set the Edge up in a blaze of fire a couple of times, it never stopped her. It was what she was heading to do on this warm Birdsong day – trying to find a new place to practice that wasn’t all charred and dark, when Khairi alerted her to someone at the gate. Immediately the filly’s annoyance spiked, knowing that she didn’t need to greet strangers at the door like her Father did. But the vulture was persistent as he remained perched high in a tree by the metallic gate, urging her to go.

Syrena.” He finally croaked through their bond to capture her attention. It was as if her mindset switched when she heard the words – the mare from the Falls that had so kindly shown her around there. Was she here to get a tour of the Edge after all this time? Excitement began to leap in her chest as she trotted toward the gate. When she arrived, she offered the mare a bright smile from her pink splotched lips as she pushed it open. “Syrena! Hi, welcome to the Edge!” Her voice rang out to the woman, thankful to have a distraction. Khairi chirped his own greeting from the branch quickly before Kiada began to continue. “Have you come for your tour?” She asked with a tilt of her ink dipped head.

"Talk."

img by Mar <3 || coding by Smitty <3

@Syrena SO EXCITED AH <3

IT'S SAID SHE'S MADE OF STORM CELLS
AND A WILD WOLF'S HUNGRY HEART,
THAT SHE'S LEARNT THE LIGHTNING'S SECRET
TO RIPPING DARKENED SKIES APART.

Dragon's Throat Forger

They are not so different. Syrena too craves power. Power that cannot be so easily ripped away simply because a God decides he can no longer maintain his own herd. Power she’d worked for, and rightfully owned. He could have left her with the crafting magic as some sort of consolation prize, at the very least. But no, he took away everything that she had earned. Everything she’d worked for in his name. It is what makes her so distrustful of Kaos as well, though his offer is tempting if only to spite the other Gods.

His offer is tempting as well because though she does not trust him, like Kiada, she knows he has power. And she wants power.

The girl finds her somewhat quickly, and she is glad it is Kiada that greets her and not someone else. She’d feel ridiculous asking for a child, but then again, she didn’t particularly want to see anyone else here. Well, Dragomir was acceptable company as well, but he wasn’t the one that intrigued her. The girl is welcoming, and the vulture even greets her. She nods to both, eyes shifting from Kiada to the vulture to make it clear she is greeting each.

“Yes, if that is okay. I have little else to do these days,” and though her voice is largely unchanged from that deadpan sound, there is a bitterness to it now. Something cold and hard, not directed at Kiada but clearly at the loss of her home. She shouldn’t care this much, but she feels lost. She knows she is bitter at the loss of her title and her magic, but there is some part of her that is bitter over the loss of her home as well. It is the first time she’d ever felt like she had a home she could tolerate for longer than a few months. And before she knew it, it was taken from her.

Dragomir had said the Edge would certainly welcome her, and likely, it would. But she could not imagine herself in a place without water. It felt wrong. But still, she wanted to see it. Really, she wanted to see Kiada, questions sitting on the tip of her tongue. “I was also hoping to talk to you.” she admits. Her best friends were all children. Sheba, Kiada. She was relying on children for advice. But then again, being old didn’t necessarily make anyone smart.

syrena

just like the sea

@Kiada YAY!

Please tag in all posts
Image by Reli

World's Edge Nurse
Kiada

Yes, if that’s okay. I have little to do these days.

Kiada nodded before stepping aside and allowing the mare through the gate. The bitterness in her voice was hard to pick out among the typical sound of her voice – and while Kiada didn’t know the siren mare very well, something did seem off. Though it only seemed to make sense considering the fact that the Falls was no longer a herdland. It was a shame, really. Kiada found the land to be remarkably beautiful, and a quiet calm place where it seemed as though one could get away with anything. But all of that was a loss for the moment, unless some vagabonds took over the land. In the meantime, Kiada began to pay more attention to the woman as she continued to speak. In the meantime, Khairi began to buzz in delight after Syrena acknowledged him – it wasn’t often that others actually looked at him and greeted him. “Like her.” Khairi passed through their bond, to which Kiada offered back a simple “me too.

Though as they began to walk in no particular direction but along the spikes she also nodded to Syrena. “What would you like to talk about?” She questioned, and as she waited her gaze remained ahead aiming for the peak places of interest. The glass dragon would be a great point to start, she thought, and so she directed her route toward it. Then, as if to make some small talk in the silence, she tossed her inky head toward the glass spikes. “There used to be a glass wall here, but it was broken and there was glass littered everywhere. So just watch your step, I’m not sure if it’s all gone.” She tried to pass a reassuring smile to her friend before they began to walk into the mists that began flooding the inner part of the land.

If Syrena liked water, perhaps she’d like this. It wasn’t exactly the same, but at the very least it was damp and surrounded you regardless of what you did. Almost like swimming in a pool but without the extra effort (though Kiada is entirely unsure of what swimming really consists of, despite having done it only once in her life.) And while Kiada mulled over her thoughts of what Syrena might ask her, she tried to think up some questions of her own as she glanced toward the woman – wondering if her pelt color would change as the mist wrapped it’s embrace around her much like her legs did among the snow when they first met.

"Talk."

@Syrena <3 EEE

Dragon's Throat Forger

She was rather likely to be the vagabond to take over the Falls. She still didn’t know where else to go, though really, without the promise of power and magic, the Falls didn’t call to her anymore. Not as much as the sea, anyway. If she was going to be vagabond somewhere, it would always be beside the ocean, the waves lapping at her feet. It was the only touch she loved rather than loathed. Perhaps one day her feet would return her to the Falls, but for now, the sight of it left too bitter a taste in her mouth. The wound was too raw for picking at scabs.

Kiada lets her come in, leading them along the spikes that Syrena is very certain to keep well away from. Why the spikes? She wonders, but does not ask aloud. Perhaps Kiada, with her position in the herd, would actually know why a herd as active and well presumably well-guarded as the Edge needed spikes. But she does not ask, because it’s not why she is here. Glass spikes would keep out a horse, but they would hardly stop Kaos or any of the other Gods. They would make little difference when it came to anything that mattered.

For a few moments too long, Syrena is silent, trying to figure out how to phrase her question. She doesn’t know though, and it’s clear she takes too long as Kiada fills the silence with information about not stepping on glass shards. Syrena nods, casting her eyes down to the ground and stepping with a bit more care now that she knows. Though it doesn’t deter her, at least.

Their path grows misty, and finally Syrena simply starts. Words are not her skill, but so far, that has not deterred Kiada from entertaining her. “I saw you,” she begins, her voice deadpan as always but there’s something slightly different to it now. It’s not an accusation, but a question, as she continues, “With Kaos. You offered to help him.” She looks to the girl (the closest thing Syrena has to a friend, perhaps, an ally) and there’s a slight cock to her head. “You seemed so sure…”

She trails off for a moment, the mist growing thicker as they go, and she finds the feeling of water surrounding her somewhat comforting. It is not the ocean, but with the sound of it in her ears from the shells in her mane, and the damp that clings to her coat, it is almost enough. The mist is just cool enough that her skin begins to turn colors, some sort of halfway transition partway between her usual gray and the vibrant cool colors that she would normally turn in water. It’s an odd effect, somber and appropriate to the way she feels right now.

“How are you so certain that he is worth pledging yourself to?” She finally says, hoping those are the right words. Or at least, that the question makes sense. She wants to know how Kiada knows so certainly that she should side with Kaos, that she should offer him help. How can she trust him, knowing how fickle and worthless their supposed protectors are?

syrena

just like the sea

@Kiada

Please tag in all posts
Image by Reli

World's Edge Nurse
Kiada

Everything was quiet before Syrena spoke. At first, Kiada’s gaze lingered on the siren mare’s form in confusion. “I saw you.” Kiada paused in her steps for a few moments. Where had Syrena saw her that caused her to want to talk to her? What was it about? The questions mulled in her mind once again, until Syrena answered them. “With Kaos. You offered to help him. You seemed so sure.” She felt Syrena’s gaze on her, and she tilted her head toward the mare in return for the tilted nature of her own head accompanying her question. A small frown found its way onto her lips. Was Syrena here to confront her about it too? To tell her how horrible he was, how Nyx had died, how so many had gotten hurt.

How her brother had been slashed down by the bone monster while she stood completely unharmed.

Yes.” She acknowledged at first turning her gaze out toward the glass dragon that loomed in the distance. Yet, before she could completely figure out what to say, Syrena continued. “How are you so certain that he is worth pledging yourself to?” Well, at least to that question she had an answer to. It was personal, but if they were to be friends (as Kiada thought they were) she at least owed her an honest answer. She inhaled quietly before exhaling out through her nose and returning her gaze to Syrena’s own.

When I was younger, I stumbled across what I thought was a god – but instead it was a Serval that had been sent down to speak to us, to gift us with something if our answers were good enough.” She began, shifting her weight uncomfortably and slightly swishing her tail against her hocks. “The serval asked us if we could speak to a God what would we ask? I was born with the magic that lines my spine. It has no heat, nothing to make it useful other than painting my emotions for all to see. So I told the serval that I would ask the God how to be useful, how to have a purpose, to be more like my brother.” She admitted, eyes casting down toward the lush green earth. “Apparently, Kianzo was there and heard my question. Yet didn’t tell the serval what he’d ask the gods. And the serval took it as an insult, saying that Kianzo disregarded him. It seemed like a big joke to him.” Shrugging her scarred shoulders, she sighed quietly.

So I disregarded the gods after that. I met the Moon Goddess when my father asked her to erect these spikes.” Nodding her head, Kiada motioned toward the glass spikes. “And she seems powerful and interesting, but it was nothing compared to Kaos. I even accompanied my father and met the Earth God. Even still, the power that resonated from him wasn’t the same.” Her gaze lifted to try and seek out Syrena’s gaze. “He had this aura about him that I… I just crave it. The dishonesty, the betrayal, it was all amazing to see unveiled. It sounds horrible, I know. My own family, aside from Kianzo, are worried about me, but it’s something I can’t help. It's all I think about.” Her voice had trailed into a whisper. “I don’t want to be helpless, I want to be useful. And if nobody else will take me seriously, at least I felt like Kaos acknowledged me after my confession. It felt powerful and as though he bestowed a smile upon me.” She was slightly frightened to look at Syrena at this point, but she had spilled out all of this information for her to take. The mare could think her crazy if she wanted to, but deep down Kiada knew she was sane. She didn’t fall for the tricks everyone else did.

"Talk."

@Syrena <3

Dragon's Throat Forger

She listens with attention, something she so rarely does. But of course, this time, she’s asking a question. She cares about the answer. About what the girl thinks and feels. Her face, as always, is impassive, but somehow it’s clear that she’s not listening in a manner to judge or reprimand. Who is Syrena to judge or reprimand anyone? She’d been born to a life of feeding on the souls of others, and to this day she felt no remorse for those she’d kill. They had not been needless deaths. Syrena did not murder for pleasure, but for survival. She has not murdered since, as there has been no reason for her to do so.

In the same way, she does not judge Kiada for choosing a side that she believes is correct. Necessary, even. No, she simply wants to know how Kiada can trust a God, any God? Particularly a God that has admitted to being untrustworthy? But maybe those are the best sorts to trust, the ones that are honest with you from the beginning. Because who in this world could anyone trust? Syrena, certainly, trusted no one. Not in the way others did; not in the way of confidants and advisors.

Though if she did trust (and perhaps she does, just a little, or she would not be here), she would trust Kiada. Somewhere in the distance is a glass dragon, and Syrena keeps her eyes on it as the girl talks, though her ears are both flicked toward Kiada. The girl talks of purpose, of being useful, concepts that had been so foreign to Syrena until recently in the Falls. Look what that had gotten her…

But she understands that desire now in a way she would not have before. She felt lost now, the once nomad who lived entirely for herself (and largely still does), felt lost. Adrift, without something to work for. She finishes, and again, Syrena is silent for a while. Though she nods, something of a thank you to the fiery girl for sharing. There is no judgment in that movement, no judgment on her face (though that means little with Syrena). But she doesn’t shy away from Kiada at this revelation that she craves power. Syrena does too, after all.

“What makes you think Kaos will not promise you riches and give you ruins instead?” She stops walking long enough to turn her gaze to Kiada completely, entirely curious. “Because I felt his power too, and I want that power as well. But after how quickly the Earth God abandoned the Falls so easily…” …and me, the only one who worked so hard for him. His daughter, who at least he should have considered. The thoughts cross her mind, though she does not say them. She simply continues with her sentence as if it is not as personal as it feels “I wonder if any of the Gods can be trusted to give us anything they promise.”

She is silent again for a while, her thoughts lost to Kaos and the ocean. To the betrayal at finding that she had not been serving the sea at all, to her realization she did not care so long as he could give her what she sought. Power. Bits of her magic back. Purpose. Whatever that might be in this world without the Falls. “I used to be far more powerful, once,” she admits. “I would like that back. Perhaps, we can find a way to power together. Find a way to be useful. Kaos or otherwise.” If Kaos failed them, at least they would have one another.

Perhaps Syrena did trust, after all.

syrena

just like the sea

@Kiada

Please tag in all posts
Image by Reli

World's Edge Nurse
Kiada

Kiada continued to glance at Syrena during her tale, trying to take in what she thought of the entire ordeal. It was difficult to explain without sounding insane, that much she knew. However, there was a part of her that hoped – deep down – that she wasn’t alone in her curiosities. Syrena remained quiet until Kiada had finished, and that was at least some amount of solace to her aching isolation against her family for the things she’d done. And she doesn’t just leave her either. She stays there as they walk, quiet, but listening. It’s in those little things that the painted filly finds comfort, at least a small amount.

Syrena stopped walking, then, pointing a question to the filly. Her dark ears flick toward the woman as she, too, stops to look upon the mare with bright eyes, listening to her speak of the Earth God and how he’d taken away her herd. “I suppose that’s part of the interest?” She admitted, pondering the question for a few moments. “Besides, it makes you stronger if it doesn’t kill you right?” She offered Syrena a small mischievous grin. Then, as if a thought came to her, she reached her dark head around to her equally dark neck, pulling a small amulet from the place in her mane she had hid the trinket. It was dark in color, swirling with some sort of dark magic as she situated it so it sat gently against her chest so Syrena could see. “I found this too, it’s unlike any other amulet I’ve seen. Mother has a spark amulet, and it looks nothing like this.” She admitted tilting her head and looking down upon it. “Maybe it’s Kaos’.” She mused aloud.

Then she listened further as Syrena questioned whether or not the Gods were to be trusted, and she offered a small shrug of her scarred shoulders. “I’m not sure if anyone’s entirely trustworthy, honestly.” It was half a joke, half a truth as her gaze danced over Syrena to the glass dragon in the distance. They continued to walk, and when they reached the dragon, she paused once again as Syrena began to speak again. Immediately Kiada’s interest perked further. Just how powerful had the siren mare been at one point? Perhaps she’d find out one day. “I’d like that.” She offered Syrena a reassuring smile while Khairi crooned his agreement from his perch. “You could stay here with me and we could figure out how to get your power back? And we could talk about things?” She questioned, a glint of hopefulness dancing in her eyes. “My father’s the King. He’ll let you stay.” She reassured her, if Syrena was willing to stay within the borders of the Edge, at least for the time being.

"Talk."

@Syrena <3 sorry for the wait!

Dragon's Throat Forger

Kiada, still just a child, was everything Syrena once was. Everything she should be again. Sure, even in uncertainties such a trust, she does not waver. Brave, standing before Kaos for all to see, risking her life. Kind to even Syrena, who had done little to earn it (though at least, hadn’t done anything not to deserve it either). Syrena waived, unable to trust or make a decision anymore. She was hardly brave, standing back drinking with Tarik while others fought for whatever they believed in. Though she had never been kind, and never would be, so there was no loss there. She wasn’t unkind though, and at least she was learning some social graces here.

Kiada claims that the gamble is what makes it interesting. Perhaps she is not wrong, but Syrena struggles to see it that. Struggles to see anything that way anymore. “Losing my power did not kill me, but it definitely did not make me stronger,” And of course, this is the crux of everything that upsets her, ever question she asks. She had been so different before Helovia. So powerful. Immortal and beautiful and irresistible. Now she was mortal and plain and unnoticed.

Then the girl is searching for something in her mane though, and pulling out a small amulet that does not look familiar. “Maybe,” she says. "I have a moon amulet, and it doesn’t look quite like that either. Dark, but not dark like that.” They keep walking after that, closing in the dragon statue. It’s a beautiful land, and though the mists are nice, she is keenly aware of the sound of the ocean crashing against the cliff. Aware too that she could never step in that water. That she has no safe way to it’s edge. That here, she would always be too far removed.

When Kiada actually accepts her offer, and then takes it further, offering her a home Syrena is almost taken aback. She would be, if she ever felt anything more than almosts and acute sensations. “Thank you, Kiada,” she says, trying to muster sincerity in her words because she is sincere. ”But I think if I lived overlooking a sea I could not touch, one day I’d simply jump just to feel the water.” She pauses, wondering how much more of an explanation she should give the girl. Because she would stay to live with her friend, if she could.

But the idea of staying so far from the ocean hurts. From rivers even or pools, as she had in the Falls. “I was a full siren, before Helovia.” she finally says after another of her long pauses. The girl had offered her so many truths, ones that likely were not easy to tell. Syrena can imagine the kind, righteous souls of the Edge did not take kindly to Kaos and his ways. “The ocean is my home. And I can hear it here, but I cannot step off that cliff. It calls to me though, drags me in, and one day I am sure I would step over without ever knowing it.” Even without her powers, she could not be free of the ocean. “I will continue to visit though, if you’ll have me.”

syrena

just like the sea

@Kaida - no apologies needed, this took me forever

Please tag in all posts
Image by Reli

World's Edge Nurse
Kiada

There was something about Syrena that drew Kiada like a moth to the flame. Perhaps it was the allure that settled in her curiosities with the siren-mare. Perhaps, even, it was the ease of conversation that flowed between them even when they said nothing. It was refreshing for the young girl who spent most of her life listening to what others told her to do, looking down upon her own choices in life. Syrena didn’t judge her in the ways that all the other adults she knew did, and she silently thanked the mare for it.

When Syrena remarked that her moon amulet didn’t look anything like the one that Kiada kept tucked away, it bloomed more curiosities deep within her mind. She nodded along quietly as they walked toward the glass dragon statue that towered over the filly. She paused, looking up to the translucent creature in its statuesque stance, stagnant and poised against whatever could come its way. Soon enough, though, Syrena’s speaking again. Kiada’s own inky head swiveling to listen to the mare, her ears popping forward as her blue gaze sought the older mare’s.

A soft nod of silence was what Kiada gave to the mare, trying to offer a gentle smile to show that it didn’t bother her. She loved the idea of Syrena living here with her, but if it came down to something such as that – jumping to feel the water’s embrace – she’d rather have her friend somewhere along the world of Helovia rather than dead along the cliffs. “I understand. I was like that for a time when my brother was missing.” She added in, trying to show Syrena that she could relate, even if it wasn’t a similar situation.

But then, the mare’s speaking again of times before Helovia. Kiada shifted her weight and turned slightly to better look upon her, eager to learn of any type of history that resided outside of Helovia that wasn’t her father’s or her mother’s. “I see.” She added in quietly, unsure of what a siren was but figuring it would be a question better for another day. Then, the conversation continued to shift, and Kiada nodded energetically with a forgiving smile. “Please do let me know where you end up, I would love to visit you as well.” She added in, turning to look back for a moment at the glass dragon.

"Talk."

@Syrena GOD I SUCK. we can end here and have them meet up now that Syrena is a part of the Throat maybe? I adore these two together ;-; and Kiada needs to learn what a Siren is ;D