the Rift

[OPEN] Show Me Love

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers
Lightning strikes every time she moves
Chico was being surprisingly supportive today. Not that it was weird in and of itself, because I can’t really remember him being this happy in a long, long time. Smarmy, yes. Gassy, sure. But this burst of pure joy that radiated from him, coursing through his veins, was something I wasn’t expecting--it was too much like how he was when he was first hatched, so new and so excited and so full of love for him, for me, for us, that it brought me to tears at the time.

I was almost to tears now--but it wasn’t from the beauty of his love. He was being so supportive because now that I had no more responsibilities to mask it, now that I had no more excuses to shunt it with, now that the Birdsong breeze blew warm and new and exciting and there was no more delaying my promise--it was time to learn how to fly.

And I was fucking terrified.
Like, I knew the ground. I knew how solid it was, how it felt like beneath my feet, what it felt like to bust my ass on it and get rug-burn. I was friends with the ground; I could run on it super fast, like, you have no idea. I didn’t have that same relationship with the sky, with its...its wind n shit. And I didn’t have the same relationship with my wings that I did with my legs, who were sturdy and honed for asskicking.

I’d always known my wings were there. They were a part of me as any other piece of me, like my skin or my horn or my ears or my ass. But I’d had no reason to use them, cuz if I wanted to move, I walked; if I wanted to go fast, I could run; if I wanted to climb something extra high that was too steep for feet, then I could zpsnk easily through the air, traveling through the currents of time and shock briefly to get to where I needed to go. I had no reason to leave the familiarity of the ground and tempt that broken neck.

But here I was, my wings…there (zpKing, electrical tentacles reaching out from my shoulders like grotesque, shimmering hands) spread and ready for what was gonna go down. I was running and Chico was running beside me, his own wings outstretched, so I could watch him as he flapped a few times and caught the downdrafts necessary to keep aloft. I ran beside him like that, running full circuits around the clearing we’d found to do this (cuz there ain’t no way I was gonna just let anyone see this potential mess) before, finally, I took a stab at it and flapped for the first time, trying to mimic his motions.

It was fucking horrifying the way I didn’t immediately hit the ground, like my legs and entire body predicted. It threw me off guard and I wobbled from where I was briefly gliding in the air; and I lost my lift and fell back down to earth (where I belonged jeez jeez jeez) and I was able to keep my pace running. But it was weird--it was like breaking the ice and something lifted from my shoulders, some dark dread that was twisting its sticky way into the back of my head. I’d…glided a little. I wasn’t dead.

I kept running that circuit (it was great for cardio). Chico kept demonstrating his take off and I tried again, and this time I stayed in the air for much longer, cuz the panic was much smaller. I kept trying, leaping into the air like a magical fucking woodland creature, feeling myself lift into the air for some moments before being gently let back down by the breeze. The air could be my friend, after all.

If it wanted to.

"In ornare vitae leo eu volutpat."
Chico
and Roskuld
image credits

After 6 fucking years jfc ROS IS FINALLY LEARNING TO FLY

@Isopia is CORDIALLY INVITED but open otherwise!

Please tag ROSKULD in every reply!

Isopia the Mountain That Knows Posts: 780
Dragon's Throat Apostle atk: 6.5 | def: 10 | dam: 8.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: 3 - is now aging slowly HP: 90 | Buff: NUMB
Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd
Isopia
sed quis custodiet  ipsos custodes?

SHRILL SCREAMING

It took a moment for Isopia to understand what it was Ros was actually doing. In truth, it was Chico's pantomiming of flap your wings like this to fly that eventually clued her in. That Ros, possibly the most capable and level headed of all of them (Isopia was a child-murdered, Mesec warged-out and almost murdered his best-friend, and Aithniel seemingly had some serious Daddy's issues to work through), had still not learned how to master this basic part of her anatomy, seemed bizarre.

She couldn't be scared, surely. So what was the hold up?

Isopia watched, large golden eyes peering from the tree-lined circumference of the clearing where Ros was gliding. At a different point in her life, Isopia might have just abandoned her cousin to her pursuits, not caring much about whether or not she succeeded. Or she might have burst in with some babble about aerodynamics and a brief anatomy lesson to try and aid Ros. But this Isopia, the one currently lingering in the shadows, was not like those previous incarnations. This Isopia was making an actual attempt not to be so unlikeable (the success of which was up to interpretation), and this Isopia remembered being a child-murdered and a Volterra-fucker, but only through the eyes of Hubris. The bronze dragon had given her her memories back, and so while she knew of her past, she no longer felt her past. She had returned to being clinical and sterile, but somehow...warmer. It was the best case scenario really, to be able to learn from your past mistakes without having to feel the weight of them all the time.

Isopia was ... fixed, more or less. And she has Ros to thank for a large portion of that.

"I could make you a ramp." Her voice carried through as she stepped forward. She opted to leave out a hello (redundant), a what are you doing? (obvious), or a wow! good job! (patronizing and false).

But a ramp? Then Ros would get a bit of height to start from and wouldn't have to work so hard to get off the ground. It was helpful (she was trying), and Isopia hoped that her matter-of-fact tone (normal), would make Ros feel like she wasn't being judged for showing up epically late to the learn-how-to-fly party.

Image Credits

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here

I didn’t notice that anyone else had come up to see; maybe I was hyper aware of any and all eyes of criticism, but at that moment I was too wrapped up in my focus on the task at hand now that the initial fear was…handled somewhat (I’m not sure if it was ever gonna leave, to be honest). Running endless circles with Cheek beside me wasn't’ tiring me--but the strain of using a pair of wings that had never been used since the day I was born was already beginning to take its toll. Muslces that I never even knew I had were beginning to spasm and ache, but I guess that was part of the incentive, because I was pissed that I still had muscles this weak and elated at the idea of punishing them. Thankfully, Chico was too busy to make that last phrase into an innuendo.

I was getting a rhythm, I was feeling the air now and recognizing things. Currents to use as building blocks into an upward ascent. I was having trouble holding onto them (both the currents and my own mastery over my wings were too weak to get a meaningful hold) but at that moment, with gritted teeth and strained, sweat-pricked shoulders, I found some kind of balance between my steady wingbeats and a stronger current of air that gave me lift for several heart-pounding moments--

I could make you a ramp.

--but then a voice came out of nowhere and my concentration slipped, and my wings faltered and I lost my sense of the draft and I was higher than I expected and I fell faster than I was ready for and when I hit the ground my feet couldn’t find themselves--so I crashed in the most humane way, hitting the ground and stumbling to my side, rolling a few times until I skidded to a halt. Before Chico could register that I’d beefed it I was already on my feet, being pissed and embarrassed, especially after seeing who it was.

There was a moment where I couldn’t find an angle to be mad from. What are you-- Oh, wait, she lives here. How did you-- Oh, wait, she lives here. Why are you-- Because she can, because she lives here. Can’t you just-- No, of fucking course she can’t, you know exactly who she is, stop wasting your breath on that. Since there was no logical attack I could make to make her leave, then it was all gonna have to come from a place of pettiness. No, I don’t need a ramp, go away.”

Chico came up beside me quietly, grinning and rational. Probably need a ramp.

Shut UP.

But he was right. He showed me in our heads how extra lift could help me get accustomed to the air, even if didn’t have the stamina to stay there. I snorted and shook the dirt from my side, trying my damndest to re-hide the nervousness that jumbled every corner of my body. Which meant relenting. “I’m sorry,” I said quickly, my tone stark compared to the outburst I’d given her, “I didn’t mean that, I didn’t mean any of it,  I don’t want you to leave. I just....You’re right about the ramp. You just startled me, is all.”

All of it was true--and I was beginning to find that just out-right telling her the naked truth about these things made for a smoother interaction. Doesn’t mean I liked it though; I kept my eyes sharply averted from her, as though looking into my irises would give her a hint about the tumultuous shitstorm going inside my head at the thought of real flying.

Chico
and Roskuld
image credits

Mesec IS NOW CORDIALLY INVITED :D

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah

It wasn’t a coincidence that Mesec was finding his way to the clearing where his sister and cousin were - Lucius had been coasting over the forest hunting and had alerted Mesec to the fact that Roskuld was doing something weird. Well, his exact phrasing was ‘Shock-sister running in circles, needs help’ so of course Mesec immediately abandoned the spot of grass where he had been grazing and made his way over to the part of the Edge that the zephyr indicated he would find someone in need of help.

It was when he was approaching through the trees, spotting the unmistakable form of Isopia there as well, that he realized what running in circles meant. Roskuld was trying to fly. Immediately his reaction was to help, he wanted to help and do whatever he could, but whether or not Ros would actually accept his help was an entirely different matter.

Still, he could try.

His ears prick and pick up the frustrated voice of Roskuld telling Isopia to go away, before apologizing for her outburst. Just as Mesec was deciding this might be the safest point to actually enter the clearing, Lyra shot out from beneath his legs and into the clearing - yipping with excitement and running in small circles of her own. The idea of how flight did not apply to her as a kitsune had not yet settled in for the pup Mesec could feel the waves of excitement coming from her, as if she was here to learn to fly as well, and he didn't yet have the heart to break it to her that she wouldn't be able to learn either. Still, he was right on her heels - his silver eyes watching to make sure Lyra wasn’t getting in trouble before he moved to stand near Isopia.

“You know, I wish I had a ramp when I was learning how to fly.” Mesec commented quietly, his voice calm and easy - without a glimmer of mocking. He really could have used a ramp, he didn’t really have a lot of winged role models that could have helped him and it was a tricky process to self-teach.

Mesec
the nightwind

image credits

THANKS FOR THE INVITE <33
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

Isopia the Mountain That Knows Posts: 780
Dragon's Throat Apostle atk: 6.5 | def: 10 | dam: 8.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: 3 - is now aging slowly HP: 90 | Buff: NUMB
Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd
Isopia
sed quis custodiet  ipsos custodes?

Isopia was not at all surprised as Ros rounded on her and began to fire words in her direction, as if her lips were some sort of 3-shot automatic gun. As soon as her words had interrupted Ros's attempt to achieve lift, she knew to expect something like this. Usually yelling didn't quite phase her, but Isopia steeled herself just the same. Her large golden doe-eyes remained clear and open, blinking demurely down at Ros. Though this would likely only aggravate her cousin more, Isopia hadn't quite mastered forcing her face to reflect the emotions she should have been feeling (regret? apology?)

What was surprising was that Ros apologized. And quickly. Isopia's head tilted ever so slightly to the side as if trying to determine whether or not she actually heard what her mind just told her that she did, but as Ros continued, she was certain of it.

Uncomfortable with apologies, Isopia waved a wing, clearing the slate. Perhaps that was one of her only redeeming qualities. Other than her history with Volterra, she rarely held a grudge or took things personally.

Quickly Mesec joined, and she was glad for it. Mesec was normal, at least compared to his oldest and youngest cousins. She didn't know about his warg-form, but even if she did, she probably wouldn't think that it came close to the psychologically damaged pair that she and Ros were.

Silently and with a bob of her head, Isopia turned slightly. The earth rose up as her gaze fell upon it. It didn't reach higher than about chest-height (although her chest was a great deal higher than Ros's), creating a long sloping flat ramp.

"Try that."

Isopia's golden eyes fell upon Mesec, eager to see if he had anything helpful to add, eager to be relieved of the entire responsibility of helping Ros learn to fly.

Image Credits

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here

A small skittered into the clearing, flashing too quick for my scowling face to see in time before it reached us. But Chico was on the case, deftly pouncing toward his lil’ fuzzy sistercousinthing, a ball full of bursting things like happy and excitement ‘n whatever. He was always down for a tussle with Bro’s lil’est companion.

I turned my glare to Mesec, and it was his turn to be on the recieving end of my stank-face. “Yeah whatever,” I grumbled, when he told me he’d wanted a ramp when he was learning. I was too bothered to admit that the knowledge comforted me--not only because I was apparently going in the right direction in regards to learning to fly ‘n all that shit, but the image of Mesec learning to fly penetrated my thoughts, images of someone like him stumbling like I was doing now with the air that wasn’t quite sure about being friends yet. It soothed me, I guess; remembering others had to learn how to fly at some point, too. Even if it was hard to imagine This Tall Bastard Iso having to learn anything.

“Don’t….don’t laugh,” I said, forgetting to thank her for the ramp (that was too high by far what the shit, I thought she said a ramp not a new fucking plateau). I got into position, too nerve-wracked to tell them to get the hell out the way; instead of thinking about it and making the nervousness palpable on my face, I just booked it, driving headlong up and over on the elevated plane, feeling for my wings once more as Chico watched on from where he was tussled with Lyra.

The height I was able to immediately achieve caught me off guard (again) and even though the lift was so much firmer up there than it was down below, I still wobbled out of the sky, this time keeping my footing when I touched the ground even though I came down hard. I wrinkled my nose, knowing I was giving my body a pounding but being too worked up to feel it straight. The instant reply I got from Chico in my head was laced with his laughter, as well as an off putting filter coloring the whole thing that told me I was landing all wrong. He was too busy with Lyra to show me what to do now, though; I snorted. I whipped by gaze at Mesec. “How--uh--how do you land?” I was too focused on getting this shit done and over with to preoccupy myself with embarrassment.

Chico
and Roskuld
image credits

IT's been like three million years but IF YOU'RE STILL INTERESTED IN DICKING AROUND HERE
@Isopia