the Rift

[OPEN] stocking up [healers & interested]

Najya Posts: 90
Dragon's Throat Alchemist atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1 :: 7 (Tallsun) HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
A'mal :: Plain White Dragon :: Shock Breath Kiki

HOWEVER LONG THE NIGHT, THE DAWN WILL BREAK.

Najya was worried. The thread of Kaos loomed like a dark cloud that never cleared from the horizon.  The russet mare found her gaze being drawn towards the horizon nearest to the marshes almost unconsciously at various points of the day.  Kaos appeared to be untouchable, to this point.  No weaknesses had been discovered.  More troubling was that he had seemingly gone quiet, keeping to the tower he had built in the marshes.

All she could think in the meantime was to as proactive as possible.  If Kaos came to their borders, she wanted to make sure that the herd was as prepared as possible.  She had seen the injuries that the creature of bones was cable of inflicting, she wanted to make sure that the medical supplies were well stocked before any from the herd were faced with the creature again.  They needed to make a stand long enough to find the creature’s weaknesses, and if it simply batted them away like flies then they didn’t stand a chance.  And neither did Helovia.  While she was capable of fighting, Najya knew that that was not where she was a true asset to the herd.  

Especially not now.  

With each day she grew more and more certain that she carried a child which would make her even less useful should Kaos bring his brand of warfare upon the herd.  So she knew that the time to act was now.  She wouldn’t wait for him to bring the fight to their shores before she began her preparations.  

So Najya called out to the healers, and any others who would help, to see if there were any who would help with preparations.  Overhead, the little white dragon circled, ready to alert her bonded to any who may have heard her call.

N A J Y A
image credit  

For any interested in gathering herbs and working on the herd's medicinal stockpile with the Kaos' threat looming.  Foals and unranked characters welcome!

Please tag NAJYA in all replies. 
Force & magic are permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.
Thank you!
pixel base

Patrick Posts: 31
Dragon's Throat Colt
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.0 (wfg) :: 6 months
LovellaTorendo
P
A
T
R
I
C
K

Patrick is wandering along the shoreline near the bridge towers, as he often is, when yet another call splits the dry desert air. This time the voice is very clearly not one belonging to a God. It causes the boy to perk up when it reaches his ears however so it is likely familiar to him. With one more searching glance out beyond the channel he turns and heads off in the direction of the caller.

He has not gone very far before he catches sight of a white dragon circling above an adult figure he has indeed encountered before. At the sight of the white-speckled, clay colored woman Patrick picks up speed... too much speed. Grace is a thing that will come very slowly to the gangly lad, if it ever comes at all. Pretty soon he is tripping over goodness knows what and landing himself sideways on the rough ground. Clearly this is something he has grown used to for he does not appear shocked in the least. With a sigh, a grunt and some grumbling he puts himself back to rights and proceeds at a more cautious, leisurely pace.

Drat! Well, maybe one of these days I will learn it never pays to rush anywhere. No way she didn't see that... hopefully clumsiness doesn't completely disqualify one from learning the art of fixing. I'd just really wanted to be the first one there for once. A quick glance around shows that no one seems to be overtaking me though. So I force myself to stick to the slower, safer speed.

When I'd heard the call I'd expected another meeting and wasn't going to hope to it so quickly because, well there is not much of interest that happens at those and no one really seems to care much about the timing of the children. This is something else though, this is Najya calling and anything she has to say must be worth hearing. Especially if it has to do with gathering things. I have something important to tell her anyway...

Even at the slowed speed the distance between them is closed in short order. The boy comes to stand as still has he can and just a few feet in front of the elegant mare.

'lo!

He offers this greeting brightly and then...

'LO

He tilts his face skyward and calls a much louder greeting to the dragon acting as a beacon above her mistress. This done he turns his blue eyes back to Najya. He is in fact the first one here though and that means he can talk without interrupting any adults, an opportunity he takes quick advantage of.

"Pat find other fixers, blue one from Basin, black and white winged one from Edge. They want come see Gold-crown, talk 'bout plant-things. That good?"

Image Credit || TABLE BY SEVIN

Saoirse Posts: 55
Dragon's Throat Colt
Colt :: Tribrid :: 16.2 adult :: 3 seasons [Orangemoon]
mar

S A O I R S E

Saoirse wasn’t entirely sure what was happening to him. He felt cold and guarded, recluse and needy. Nervous, and, as a result – fatigued and nearly lifeless at times, accompanied by the dying beam within his eyes.

What were these feelings?

The boy attempted to fill his thoughts with flying. With a hard start, the boy flapped heavily until his wings carried him into the airy berth of the sky. And where one might feel freedom and jubilation, Saoirse struggled to escape from the woes that plagued his soul. Stranger, and foreign to their invasion.

The eternity above and beyond frightened the boy, and freedom did not beckon hope into his being. The wind felt rough and harsh, whereas he would have preferred a soft, velvet muzzle instead.

Perhaps, then, it was desperation that led him towards the call. His mother was a healer, would she be present? Perhaps he should have known better than to expect her. Nonetheless the boy persisted, and found the source of the call accompanied by another foal, and the glittering body of a white dragon.

The boy made a rare and nimble land more than a few strides away. Kicking up dust from the halting brushes of his wings, and the dirt his hooves trailed against – halting to a stop. Sea green eyes took in the dragon, before approaching the mare and foal, wondering if they were related. A mindless grunt reverberates from his nostrils, just before settling ahead of the mocha mare.  

“Hello.”

He stared at the mare first. Unfamiliar to her, he tried to make out the small subtle markers of her face, the curl to her ears, the interesting jewelry about her head and the gilded tattoo about her leg. Saoirse blinked, before finally regarding the other colt.

Wingless, he thought. Both.

He thought of smiling, but didn’t feel like it. He thought he should have known the other colt too, but there wasn’t anything significant he could recall from the past. He stared for a moment too long before saying, “Hey.” Then shot his gaze back to the adult, spreading out his red tinged wings – ruffling them briefly, before folding them back again. Tight and secure against his sides.

“My mother’s a healer… What are we going to do today?”

It wouldn't make a difference, but somehow speaking like she would pop up out of nowhere seemed to settle his nerves.

Najya Posts: 90
Dragon's Throat Alchemist atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1 :: 7 (Tallsun) HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
A'mal :: Plain White Dragon :: Shock Breath Kiki

HOWEVER LONG THE NIGHT, THE DAWN WILL BREAK.

"Hello, Pat!” Najya offers, warmly to the boy. From above, A’mal let out an especially loud call so the boy could hear her.  Najya remembered the boy quite well, and he seemed to have picked up a knack for herd life despite his age.

“That’s wonderful Pat! I’d love to speak with them.  Maybe we can trade some of the things we find today with them!”  Najya said, with a smile.  She’d only met one of the healer’s from the Edge before, who’d come bearing cedar but the encounter had been strange, to say the very least. She was certainly encouraged by the fact that Pat evidently knew healers from both the Edge and the Basin who seemed receptive to trading information, and hopefully supplies too.  With the new threat on the horizon, Najya was eager to obtain as much information as possible, and sharing information with the others in Helovia seemed like a wonderful way increase their current knowledge and medicinal stockpile.  

It wasn’t long before they were joined by another - a boy who Najya hadn’t met formally but seemed familiar. “Hello there,” Najya offered to the wing boy, with a little dip of her head.   “I’m Najya.  I’ve already met Pat here. I’m one of the Sun Physicians.”  When he mentions his mother is a healer - that narrows down the candidates to either Tae or Sabia.  She didn’t think Tae had any children leaving Sabia as the only candidate, and she hadn’t seen the mare in some time, but offers him a little smile nonetheless.

“What I was hoping you could help me with today is stocking up on these three plants.”  She stepped to the side so that Pat and the winged boy could see the three little piles that she and A’mal had assembled earlier.

She points to the first one with her nose.  ”These are cloves.  They grow relatively close to water, but are found here, on the island.  They’re very useful in preventing infection.  Our stockpile is very low right now. We have to dry them before we can use them. They grow on trees.”

She moves to the next pile, and gestures to the second bundle of plants.  ”This is Chamomile.  They’re just starting to bloom.  They’re white flowers with yellow centers. You should be able to find them anywhere that is sunny.  This herb can help in calming, and its also important in reducing inflammation. It can ease pain too. It’s very useful, but it only blooms when it gets warm so the stock gets depleted in chilly months”

She then gestures to the strange little plant that sat alone on the end.  ”This here is an Aloe Vera plant.  It’s one of the best things you can use on a burn but don’t eat it.  We use it topically. You can either just take a leaf, which we can plant and will grow into a new plant or gather an entire plant - which we will replant with the others.  We can cut off a leaf and the plant will grow a new one, so this is a particularly useful herb.  These are great to trade to other herds, if they have a greenhouse to keep them alive.” Najya finished, turning her hazel gaze at the two boys.

“Looks like it’s just going to be the three of us today. Do you think you two can help me?" She asks, looking to the children to see if they’re up for the task - knowing that it’s certainly not the most fun task they could have hoped for.

N A J Y A
image credit  

All these herbs can be found here in the DT :D

@Patrick
@Saoirse

Please tag NAJYA in all replies. 
Force & magic are permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.
Thank you!
pixel base

Reichenbach Posts: 62
Dragon's Throat Guardian atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7.0
Stallion :: Equine :: 17hh :: 8 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Space
[Image: 1z57ukh.jpg]
CLOSE YOUR EYES, KATE, AND I'LL SING YOU TO SLEEP,
CLOSE YOUR EYES, KATE, YOUR DREAMS WILL BE SWEET

He was not having a good day. All night he had been plagued by dreams of Rhaegar and his wife, his King suffering and in need while Reich, that damned gypsy soul, lived a life of adventure and prosperity in his new home. His vision had been red, his heart afire with echoes of damnation, disloyalty and oaths broken, and when he had awoken he had done so with weary eyes and a tired heart. Still, he had uttered pleasant hellos and friendly nods to those he was slowly growing to know at the Throat because they need not know that he was suffering. Bone tired and weary, Reich wandered without purpose or direction, in need of a task to take his mind off of the half memories, half dreams that haunted him. A summoning call echoed through the Throat, startling the bay stallion out of his thoughts and setting his silver eyes gazing toward the slight figure and her pale dragon near the healers quarters. He stilled, watching with quiet eyes as two more arrived - both strangers to him, and both young. He remained there for three long moments, the dark inside him abyssal and lonely, the need to be physical and useful pressing against the backs of his warm eyelids.

With a strange huff the mahogany skinned man set himself toward the trio, arriving just as Najya was concluding her sentence. "Hi", he said warmly, rolling his shoulders with ease "Any chance you have room for a fourth helper?" His voice was a lilting baritone, musical and sultry. He glanced between the three gathered companions, flicking his silver eyes upward for a moment to watch the pale dragon soar above them before returning them to settle on Najya and the slight protuberance of her slim belly. "After all, a mother shouldn't put stress on her body," Reich gave a grin and a wink "and besides, I insist." He knew far too much about women and childbirth, having unwillingly assisted in many a task back in the Oasis of his childhood. A gypsy boy had to know these things. In the following silence he offered his name, casual and charming. "I'm Reich, new to the Throat and in need of a job to do."

@Najya
@Saoirse
@Patrick

stock image
please tag Reich in all posts
Force & Magic allowed short of permanent maiming & death

Syrena Posts: 207
Dragon's Throat Forger
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 hh :: 7 years
Thelxiepeia :: Royal Rougarou :: Water Kyra

i want to be wild, beautiful and free

Today, Thea is a bird. This one is new, though it’s a good form, and Syrena finds she likes her companion’s choice at the moment. Yellow-bellied (literally) and a back and wings of brilliant, almost metallic blue. She’s been diving in and out of the oasis all morning, catching fish. Syrena’s watched, fascinated by the way the bird can keep eyes and wings open even underneath the water. A creature built for sea and sky. Thea, to her credit and for all the many forms she has taken, tends toward water creature. Or at least, things that seem to be able to cross from land to sea without issue. She knows her bonded far too well already.

Soon though, Thea is hovering in the air, radiating excitement. When Syrena finally looks back up, the bird is flipping and flapping in the direction of…something. Syrena can’t see what her bonded sees yet, and only has excitement as her clue. Though since Thea seems hellbent on getting Syrena to live her life again, to be a more sociable creature, Syrena is going to assume there’s another horse nearby.

So she follows Thea, who flits happily above her bonded, leading the way. No wonder Volterra ignored her comment about coming here at Thea’s demand. Syrena was following a bird. Taking orders, in fact, from a bird. Soon enough a group of horses comes into view, and Syrena nearly halts, countering excitement with annoyance. She can feel the emotions wavering in Thea for a moment, because Thea knows full well Syrena doesn’t like crowds. But before she can turn tail and be over it, Thea is flying straight toward Pat.

The blue bird flutters about his head, hoping he’ll recognize her (though his only clue are the purple eyes Thea never loses), and really, making sure Syrena follows. Which of course she does, because she can’t control her wayward companion. Thea controls her. She’s there in enough time to catch the tail end of what the mare is saying, asking the foals to help. Then a stallion is speaking, and she remains silent, slightly away from the group but trying not to look like she’s avoiding them. She’s just avoiding the possibility of accidental touch. “If you could use more help, I’ve got nothing to do.” she offers when there’s a pause in the conversation. “I’m Syrena, and that’s Thea.” She nods to the bird who’s still happily entertaining herself around Patrick’s head, assuming he hasn’t shooed her away by now. Syrena wouldn’t blame him.

syrena

just like the sea

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Reli

Patrick Posts: 31
Dragon's Throat Colt
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.0 (wfg) :: 6 months
LovellaTorendo
P
A
T
R
I
C
K

Najya greets the boy with a deep warmth that is matched by a great, ear-splitting cry from her fascinating companion.  Patrick's ears flatten against his head at the piercing noise but they pop right back up again and he grins skyward for a moment before settling his attention on the dappled woman.  She seems pleased with his announcement of healer friends in the other herds and their desire to meet her specifically.

"Good! They say, they bring things from homes too! Pat be sure both find Gold-crown when come to Throat."

Then in comes the red-headed, winged colt.  At first, Patrick watches this new-comer only out of the corner of his eye.  After announcing myself though this younger boy turns to give the slightly larger child a direct, if tentative, greeting.  Of course, Pat's normal exuberance does not fail in the face of this development.

"'lo Red-wing!  Sorry, Pat not know name...?"

His voice is happy and those last words manage to be both a statement and a some-what-polite question.  He has, of course, seen this other kid before but they've never formally met so he can probably be forgiven for not remembering the name if he ever heard it. Not that he ever bothers with proper names much anyway...

My first thought is that it is good to not be Najya's only student.  Because, well the more fixers in the world the better, right?  Then the other boy goes on to say that his mother is a healer too and this brings the very slightest of worried looks to my face.  Maybe he is already way ahead of me... I hadn't thought I would need to catch up with anybody.  Well, not with other kids anyway.  Of course, I'd be behind the actual fixers.  After a second or two of serious consideration, I decide this won't really be a problem.  I can take a challenge.  I'll just have to gather really well, listen Extra hard and remember every last thing.

The gentle blue eyes study this as yet unnamed, other boy and narrow for the briefest moment.  Then he nods his single-horned head sharply as if an important decision has been made.

"Good! Must know lots, help Pat catch up?"

With this olive branch, he slips up alongside his new classmate and settles to listen to their teacher's instructions.  As each plant is pointed out he studies it marking the name, appearance and no doubt the suggested locations as well.  Only once does her frown and interrupt...

"Er... we kids, not tall... maybe can't do trees.  Wait! No..."

He turns to the winged boy with obvious excitement on his face.

"You flyer. You get high-up things, k?"

All at once the three of them are no longer alone.  A tall, charismatic stallion joins them with no preamble.  Patrick blinks dazedly as the fellow's rich voice introduces him and makes some suave, self-assured comments about his intent.  Shaking his head to snap himself out of the sudden daze the boy leaps over to stand in front of the stallion and stare up at him.  There is a look of awe on his face but also a slight glint in his eyes that suggests some protective feelings.

"Gold-crown protect self, Gold-crown strong, Gold-crown smart.  No funny stuff! Pat keep eye on, dragon keep eye on too, got it?  Help good though, gather more plant-things then."

As he finishes this uncharacteristically belligerent speech a blue bird comes swooping down out of nowhere to swirl around his head.  This sudden interruption causes the golden boy to blink in bewilderment.

"Uh... dat you bird-boy?"

Just then the avian creature flaps directly in front of his face and he is able to see it's very distinctive eyes.

"Thea? Oh! 'lo!  Seah stay then?  Good! Pat glad!"

He bobs his head in greeting to the scaled mare as she comes into view but does not leave his watchful position in front of the stallion just yet.

Image Credit || TABLE BY SEVIN

@Saoirse

Saoirse Posts: 55
Dragon's Throat Colt
Colt :: Tribrid :: 16.2 adult :: 3 seasons [Orangemoon]
mar

S A O I R S E

Najya, she says, resident Sun Physician. The mare appears friendly enough, offering a small, inviting smile to Saoirse. The boy nods, and swivels his gaze back to Pat when she introduces the other boy. To the small horn budding from his head, sky-blue eyes and tawny features. Patrick’s exuberant voice manages to crack a small, timid smile along the colt’s otherwise blank features.

“I’m Saoirse,” he quickly chipped in. “But I kinda like Red-wing too,” he let out an amused giggle. Since the boy had never been given a nickname before, the prospect of one inflames the delight in his voice.

He isn’t aware of the subtle changes in the other colt however. The boy hasn’t learned to pick up on them, when mentioning his mother. He’d never admit it aloud, but he was hoping she might still appear. That the call would rouse her from whichever depths she’d plunged herself into, and burn brightly, fiercely – for him.

“Good! Must know lots, help Pat catch up?”

In any case, he was surprised by Pat’s authoritative decision. He blinked, and tilted his head at him. “O-oh, sure. I mean… I can try.” Truthfully, Ma didn’t really tell him too much before she decided to disappear. The boy pursed his lips together for a moment. Deciding that he didn’t want to admit he knew less than he should. Saoirse forced a half smile before resuming his gaze on Najya.

He felt slightly sick that he’d lied. And that maybe he might be less of a playmate otherwise. The boy takes a deep and quiet breath, fluffing his feathers momentarily before his ears burned and pricked forwards. Taking in Najya’s instruction. From sources to shapes and uses, Saoirse even began to crawl closer to the piles to inspect them better. He recognized some of these plants, but had never known how useful they could be. The thought entices the boy’s mind. He extends his neck to get a smell of the plants, when Pat makes a fair and crucial question.

The red-head perks up, head raised and eyes drawn back to his companion. A brighter smile plays along his lips. “Okay!” Pause, “Oh – Miss Najya -,” but before the boy can finish, they receive another helper. It’s hard not to stare too long. Saoirse can’t say he’s seen a stallion quite like this one before. His voice is all buttery, but not at all feminine in any sense; other than it swerves and has this habit of swooning its audience. Saoirse raises his brow curiously, and whips his head back to Najya. “Mother?”

Evidently, the subject of babies is not one Saoirse has dabbled into. So he's not quite sure why Miss Najya's belly is so wide to begin with.

Seeing as Pat has security detail, the boy goes back to the specimens on the ground. Inhaling their scent – if they have one. The boy glances briefly to the strange yellow and blue bird hovering above Pat’s head, and the accompanying mare who stands at the edge of their little congregation. It has very little to do with himself, so the boy full heartedly takes the task into consideration.

“Uhm, Miss Najya… Do you eat the cloves to prevent infection? And what about the chamomile, do you eat those too?” He looks out at the lands they’re about to scour for resources. He likes the thought of being useful, of doing and contributing. He feels like he might be more valuable in this way, maybe even liked. With a growing, soft and meandering smile he regards the others. Passing his gaze from Patrick, 'Thea' and Syrena, and finally lifting up his eyes to land on Reich's silver orbs.

@Najya