the Rift

if you go out you might pass out in a drain pipe [vol vs aelfwine]

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

V O L T E R R A

CHAMPAGNE, COCAINE, GASOLINE, AND MOST THINGS IN BETWEEN
I ROAM THE CITY IN A SHOPPING CART, A PACK OF CAMELS AND A SMOKE ALARM

The pain in his side is a steady thrum like a heartbeat, serving as an unpleasant reminder that he might be Indomitable but he is not infallible. The alcohol in his system numbs the wound slightly but not enough to allow him to ignore it, nor does he have rage-fuelled adrenaline surging through his veins. This spar is not one that incites his usual berserker anger, and without it he feels...naked. It is more a part of him than his armour and weapons, leaving him exposed in its absence.

This, he supposes, is something he's going to have to get used to. He can't always rely on red-hot fury to steer him to victory - sometimes his opponent simply doesn't warrant it.

She neatly avoids his ramming chest, earning herself a rumble of approval from the mammoth stallion. His teeth strike their mark, but the blow is glancing, unremarkable. Normally this would piss Volterra right off, bid his eyes to flash with rage and his body to attempt to correct this oversight, but his apple-addled mind and desire to educate Aelfwine in the art of war means that he's delighted with her ability to evade at least one of his attacks. "Excellent!" he bellows, his baritone voice hearty and booming.

Just because he is keen to educate her, though, does not mean he is going to allow himself to be annihilated. His gaze pins itself onto her svelte frame, watching as her muscles bunch and direct her towards his left hip. Immediately the monolith braces his forelegs against the ground and swings his hindquarters to the right, away from the mare's onrushing blow - he is keen to avoid further damage to his left side, given the already painful situation around that shoulder. His hooves easily find purchase upon the hard, solid ground and he feels a blast of air as Aelfwine's hind feet whizz safely past.

"Too obvious," he growls. "With our positioning, it was evident what you were going to do. Try feinting - pretending to attack one area whilst attacking another. Also, you've missed a trick with my injured shoulder. My entire left side was at your mercy, you could easily have deepened the damage from your previous blow. Attacking old wounds might seem cruel, but it is an effective way to win. You need to exploit each and every one of your opponent's weaknesses." The titan's voice is firm and stern, but not crass or rude; he inserts a supportive undertone to his thick rumble, keen to encourage her and not frighten her. She's doing well, and she's new at this - mistakes are to be expected. He made a few howlers during his early days of fighting; it still brings a scowl to his face when he thinks of his spar with Ciceron, the only proper battle he's lost to date. His inability to even hit the dappled bastard still makes his blood boil, and he half-hopes that her miss will have galvanized Aelfwine in such a manner - he's dying to see some fire from her.

In the meantime, she's wheeled around and lunged her antlers again, but the Indomitable's hindquarters have continued to pivot around the anchor point of his planted forehooves which causes the attack to miss its mark. Keeping his injured left shoulder in one place lessens some of the pain, so he continues to swing his formidable haunches around until he's hopefully facing her own left shoulder in the aftermath of her failed antler attack. He lunges forwards again, still heavily favouring his injured leg; his run-up is short to minimise the amount of time he spends putting weight on the damaged area. This time he makes his movements a tad less obvious, to try and really challenge her into noticing the subtle flexing of his hard muscles and the faint shifting of each piece of anatomy.

The goliath seeks to slam his great chest into her left shoulder, trying to barge her over to her right and hopefully unbalance her. His jaws unfurl like a drawn sword, and he aims them for the injury on the mare's neck from his previous bite - he attempts to prove his previous point by nipping hard at the wounded area, trying to deepen the bruise and cause Aelfwine considerable pain. The primitive act of biting cannot be understated; the fact he is deeply attracted to this mare only adds to his desire to taste her dappled flesh, to dominate her and display his strength in the most basic way possible.

Teaching spar for @Aelfwine !

2/3 - 750 words

image credits

TEACHING NOTES

Grammar/Prose/Emotion This section is pretty defunct haha as I can't see any flaws in your writing. I love how you write Aelf and couldn't see anything to pick up on here. I really liked her concern about Vol and her misgivings about the fight, it was very realistic and well-written!

Attacks I like the way she used her hooves - they're really powerful so good to use! Your attacks were clear and easy to understand, but my one gripe is that despite her superior agility, I don't think Aelf would be able to attack with her hind hooves then spin round and attack with her antlers in one post. Be wary of overmoving - each battle post is only a couple of seconds long, and you need to give your opponent time to react.

I always prefer less attacks than more per post, and with all of them directed at a similar area of your foe. For example, you could use your chest to slam into someone and kick your foreleg out at their foreleg in one post, but slamming into them then turning around to kick with your back legs would be unrealistic. So if I was you I'd have just had her kick out with her hind legs maybe twice and leave it at that for this post to prevent deductions for overmoving :)

Damage taken I'll run through the basic way that the dice roll system works for you, but please slap me if you already know it xD

Character Name: Volterra
Attack Number: 1/3
Attack: 1d14 rolled for a total of: 9 + 1d2 rolled for a total of: 2 + 8
Damage: 1d6 rolled for a total of: 2 + 8

The italic part determines whether the attack hits. So, two dice are rolled - a fourteen sided one and a two sided one. These are then added to the character's attack stat (so 8 for Vol, 4 for Aelf). If that combined total is higher than the opposing character's defence stat (11 for Vol, 8.5 for Aelf) the attack hits. So in this round, the dice came out as a 9 and a 2. This, added to Vol's 8 attack, creates a total of 19 which is higher than 8.5, so the attack hit.

In Aelf's most recent attack, she rolled a 4 and a 2, which was then added to her attack stat of 4 to create a total of 10. This is less than Vol's defence of 11, so the attack missed.

If both dice roll a 1, then regardless of the attack or defence stat the attack is a critical miss, so the character hurts themselves. If both dice roll the maximum number (14 and 2), the attack is a critical hit, so the damage becomes 6 regardless of the actual roll.

Now, the underlined part of the formula is the damage roll. The amount of damage a character does is partly decided by their damage stat and partly decided by the dice roll for each attack post. To compare, Vol's damage stat is 8 whereas Aelf's is 6. That basically means that Vol's attacks hurt a bit more, so you should take a bit more damage from a Vol hit than I should take from an Aelf hit of the same roll. Think of it as being hit by a normal person compared to being hit by a bodybuilder! The dice roll determines how much damage you need to take - so a 6 roll is maximum damage, 1 roll is minimum damage.

2 is the damage dice roll, 8 is Vol's damage stat. When taking damage, you need to factor in both the dice roll, and your foe's damage stat. So if Vol rolled a 3, you should take a bit more damage than what I'd take if Aelf rolled a 3, because Vol's attacks hurt more. The dice roll and the attacking character's damage stat are added together, so 2 + 8 = 10, which is why Aelf lost 10 HP points.

Then, this is how I match each roll to what damage to take:

1: Very minor bruise/cut that won't impact movement
2: Reasonably minor bruise/cut that won't impact movement
3: Quite painful bruise/cut that won't impact movement/maybe a pulled muscle
4: Moderate bruise that restricts some movement/reasonably deep cut/badly pulled muscle/sprain
5: Severe bruise that restricts movement/muscle-deep cut/maybe a very minor bone fracture/serious sprain
6: Very severe bruise that will restrict movement/severe muscle-deep cut/broken or fractured bone

I'd then tweak this depending on my opponent's damage stat, so if a character with a damage of 3 rolled a 6, I probably wouldn't take broken bone damage. Also notice that you need to have battle wounds affect your character throughout the fight if relevant - the judge would dock points if, for example, you fractured your hind leg then reared up to attack. With Aelfwine's damage stat of 6 and her high roll of 5 in her first post, that's why I took a pretty serious cut to Vol's side and why I'm having him be affected by it throughout the fight.

So, for a 2 roll, you did pretty well taking the damage! Be careful though, as you mentioned his teeth drawing blood - horse teeth are blunt so would realistically cause a bruise rather than a cut. Given Vol's high damage stat, his attacks are pretty painful regardless of the roll, but I think you took about the right amount of damage for the roll :)

Hope this makes sense, let me know if you have any questions!

Other You did well mentioning their builds and using her agility, but as I say, even a high agility doesn't prevent possible deductions for overmoving so be wary <3 overall though you're doing great!

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Messages In This Thread
RE: if you go out you might pass out in a drain pipe [vol vs aelfwine] - by Volterra - 03-05-2017, 12:15 PM