the Rift

Like the heart of the Tawa Tree

Kiri Posts: 12
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.0hh :: 3
Bonita

Kiri

Kiri could remember the flashing of lightening in the sky, the thunder of hooves as her whole family was running. How did they get out?

Only moments before she was in the paddock on the outskirts of her village. The wind howled in the black of the hurricane that was hitting her island. The rain was so heavy that it stung on her face. There was a large CRACK nearby. It hit so close she was blinded for a moment. Before she could recollect that her surroundings were the same, a fence broke and everyone began running. One of her sisters collided with her shoulder and continued running. Before someone else could get the chance to run into her again she turned and began to run with her herd. The panic was hanging thick on the air, just as thick as the moisture. Kiri could hear the sound of hooves on the soaked grass and the thunder that shook the earth and sky. Kiri could see the trees ahead of her each time lightening crossed the cloud covered sky. It didn’t take long before her whole herd was split up as they tried to run between the trees and over the thick foliage of the tropical undergrowth.

She could hear her heart in her ears as she continued running but she noticed it wasn’t raining anymore, everything was getting lighter, and where was her family? She slowed her pace through the trees. Where am i? Slowly she reduced herself to a stop. She called out to her family in a high neigh.

Nikora! Paora! Tipene! kei hea koe!

She waiting patiently, her ears flicking in every direction. She turned in every direction looking for any movement in the trees. The truth began to set in. She was not on Te Waka-a-Aoraki anymore. The trees were different, it smelled different, it sounded different. She calmed her breathing and her mind as she was trained to in battle.

ki te mea he tangata i reira whakaatu koe!

She decided to wait where she was. She listened for others that may approach her so she may be ready if they attempt to show her aggression. Greenish brown eyes scanning the trees.

(Where are you! – In Maori
If someone is there show yourself! – In Maori)

Talk

She is looking to join a herd. :)

Please tag Kiri in posts
Force/magic allowed but Kiri wants to stay alive.
:)

Shahrokh Posts: 19
Absent Abyss
Colt :: Hybrid :: 16 hh :: 2 years
dark
[url=http://helovia.net/member.php?action=profile&uid=3490]

I stumbled through the world with an elegance unheard of, refined and quiets despite the unsteadiness of my mind and uselessness of the wings at my sides. I traveled solely by foot, only unfurling them to cross the gap between the Throat and the rest of the world. I was forever uncertain of what lay ahead, what sort of land I was headed towards when my hooves left the ground and I entered a world that held nothing but patches of condensed water and emptiness— it expanded forever in my mind, a blank body that stretched over the world, wrapped it up and consumed it entirely. Mother used to tell me the sky was beautiful, that the stars burning up in the night sky were the best she'd ever seen, that the way the light reflected on the clouds during sunset and sunrise would never cease to take her breath away. And I was to listen closely, to admire and adore the idea of the sky, to dream of witnessing the events she so cautiously described.

But it never was, and never will be, for my world is darkness, shreds of light dancing across milky eyes but nothing more— it was a hopeless thing to dream of.

I took steps away from the Throat, took time to wander through Helovia on my own, to navigate through sound, touch, smell, listening to the ocean's roaring waves grow silent as I wandered from the shore. I began making my way further inland until the sound of rustling trees overwhelmed me, birds serenading the crisp birdsong day as I venture farther. I walk with my wings wide open, brushing along the trees, snagging against the branches and pushing on. I had no purpose, no reason to go this far from the Throat, but I continue to wander.

My ears strain, listening for the sound of hooves crushing sticks beneath them, marching carelessly through the forest, ignoring the harmony of the wildlife and treading wearily past the scenery they could see. They take that gift, the blessing of having eyes that see, that can admire the world, and ignore what has been given to them. Beneath my breast, frustration takes root, bears a bud that will soon bloom. They crush the flora beneath their feet, ruin all of the flowers my mother used to tell me about, blooming everywhere the moment the snow began to melt, when the world began to rise up again after months of hibernation, blossoming anew and filled with life.

The smell hits me before the shouts do, halting to inhale deeply, to focus on the scent that lingered around my lips, that stuck out against the peace of the undergrowth like a sore thumb. It was refreshing, salty, almost more alive than the forest around me, something foreign but beautiful, if a smell could ever be such— "Hello?" Is my only response, ears sliding back at the panic and firmness, the demand echoing through the voice. I felt my body stiffen, fear nibbling away at my insecurity at the bellow, eyes wide and wings flaring outwards— they scrape along the trees, raking over branches and leaves.
“talk talk talk.”
-- table by velvette --
[Image: dark1_by_schwartze-d8al7s3.png]
and this is the world as i see it now,
turns out nothing is fair

Outcast
Bonita

Kiri

Kiri looked at every minute detail around her. The tress all had new growth beginning in shades much more green and bronze than the older growth. Small pine needles peeking out from the ends of branches and small flat green leaves from the various broad leaf trees that grew in this area. A sudden movement in the trees just ahead of her caught her attention. A small fuzzy reddish rat thing with a massive fuzzy tail was leaping between trees making the most disturbing ruckus in and otherwise peaceful forest. Her head tilted in complete amusement of this small strange creature she had never seen before. Unfortunately, Kiri is young, she still has the mental capacity of a filly. On her island there are no squirrels. She quickly trotted a few paces to get a look at it. Greenish brown eyes opened wide as she watched it dance over branches and seemed to almost fly to the next tree but it had no wings. The biggest open mouthed grin burst across her lips as she nickered to this fuzzy friend.

It’s amazing how her panic can subside so quickly with something so small but for Kiri it doesn’t take much. Hello..

Upon hearing the deep male voice Kiri shot right back into her defensive mode. Her head dipped down, eyes narrowing as she looked in the origin of this voice. Long hairy lion like tail flicked and curled like that of a lizard when it is suddenly surprised. The stallion was blanketed in the shadows of the early morning peeking out through the trees. She could see feathers of various hues like the Circinae bird. His feathers were better though. It’s his wings that awed her. Separating from the males side she could not help but get a stupid look of astonishment on her face. Raising her head again and staring at him through curious eyes as she replied in a tongue like his own.

Ke! Do those wings work? Many wings on my island do not.

Kiri snorted for she doubted that something so pretty can fly. All the pretty birds don’t fly on her island. Her mind finally snapped back to reality and her body went cold. Stupid flying fluffy thing had distracted her.

You! Feathered man! Have you seen anyone else run by? I have lost my family in the woods!

Kiri trotted towards the male for she really hated to shout. Stopping a comfortable distance away she stared right at him. Kiri’s long tail flicked back and forth similar to that of an animal showing enjoyment. She doesn’t even realize it as she tilts her head and eyes him up and down. Maybe he knows what the fluffy thing was! Kiri! Stop! Where is your family? Her internal dialogue tried to keep her on track.

("Stranger" – In Maori)

Talk

@shahrokh

Manon Posts: 37
World's Edge Sleuth atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3hh :: 4 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Space

SHE BRUISES, COUGHS, SHE SPLUTTERS PISTOL SHOTS —

Manon breezed through the thick underbrush with easy grace, long limbs moving carefully despite the substantial undergrowth. It had been months now since her arrival into Helovia and it's vast tributaries, and now she returned yet again purely because she enjoyed the silence. Silence that was broken, and swiftly. She paused in her step, elegant neck twisting to stare at the forest through which the cries of fright had come from. With an inward groan she turned, swift and sure through the forest toward the ruckus, each step as smooth and graceful as water flowing, each muscle tight and taught and perfect. As she drew closer Manon slowed to a swift walk, flicking between trees with ease and drawing close to the two young creatures in silence. Still hidden, she glanced between the two of them, noting the sharp desert smell emanating off of the colt - a member of the Throat, then.

Manon knew little of the Throat, only rumours and whispers told by acquaintances. She watched the cold fumble about, obviously nervous, and then turned her gaze to the newcomer. Lost? Manon scoffed internally, getting lost was one thing... ending up at Helovia's Threshold? That was something entirely different. Perhaps fate, perhaps unfortunate circumstance. Eyeing the two warily, Manon stepped forth, her mile-long legs moving with fluidity and grace. "I don't believe you'll be seeing your family any time soon, young one." Again, she eyed the Throat boy before continuing, "You are in Helovia, and I am Manon. I live at the Worlds Edge."

@Kiri
@Shahrokh
please tag Manon in all posts
Force & Magic allowed short of permanent maiming & death

Absent Abyss
dark
@Kiri  --

And there is no telling what lies before me, what secrets hide behind the mask of the stranger— what her motives are (does she seek refuge?), and I cannot read the emotions dancing across her features, or look into her eyes to pick apart her words (is she lying?). She approaches quietly, treading delicately upon the earth, my ears straining to listen to her steps. She must be smaller, lighter perhaps, but I cannot tell.  I listen to her closely, to the questions she offers me. She asks about my wings, telling me that those on her island do not have wings that function, which seems almost bizarre. What purpose for the wings then? For decoration, adornment upon a body, a sign of godliness? Of holiness? What of them?

I nod my head, allowing my wings to stretch as much as they could, until the tips brushed against trees and snagged the branches, feeling the length of my wingspan consume the clearing, rattling bushes and catching leaves. I bring them back, letting them settle upon my sides comfortable before answering her. I speak softly, a gentle hum, welcoming and careful as I pick my words. "Yes, they work. Navigation can be... difficult however." When I take to the skies, I am leaving my life, the fate of my being— in the hands of the gods themselves, in my subconscious, hoping I truly desire to live out my life fully and completely, not let myself tumble to the seas or lose myself to wild winds and false directions.

She asks more this time, and I frown, furrowing a horned brow and tossing my head to the side. "I haven't heard any large groups— I can't be of much use looking for them." I gasp at the soft steps approaching, startled by the delicacy in which the steps are taken, hooves ghosting over the earth. Her gentle voice catches my ears, head shifting to face the new woman. Manon of the Edge. "And I'm Shahrokh, of the Dragon's Throat. What island do you speak of?" I was interested in hearing where she hailed, curious to know the stories she could tell, the life she had lead before she wound up here (how did she get here anyway?). "Do you know how you got here to begin with?" We'll start with that.
“talk talk talk.”
-- table by velvette --

Outcast
Bonita

Kiri

Now that Kiri stood closer to this stallion she could see how dark he is. The shadows that disguised him had played tricks on her eyes. She examined the colored lines that ran across his entire body and up his wings. Simply exquisite

Her mind is torn between her family and all the strange things about this place. She contemplated on how different, intriguing, and wondrous things are here compared to the same small island that she had spent her entire life on. She thought of her older sister trying to teach her the ways of herd life with the Maori which was quite the task for Kiri who only wanted to examine the bugs she spied in the grasses. She remembered her father who was as kind as he was strong and wise. He was also one of the fastest horses in the whole herd. How she looked up to him all covered in scars from his battles. She remembered curling up at his side and listening to his stories. She wanted to be just like him when she grew up. Her mother was the family clown. Always keeping everyone entertained with her wild antics. She always had a way of getting herself in some sort of predicament. Her father was always having to help her out of some mud hole or untangle her from some vine or comfort her as she healed from some cut she got from going somewhere she shouldn’t have.

Even in the worry that Kiri was experiencing, her memories could still bring a smile to her lips.

Her ears perked up as he spread his massive wings and then he spoke. She smiled genuinely at the thought of what it must be like to fly. What do clouds feel like anyways? Kiri’s antlers turned with her head as she looked from one tip of his wing to the tip of the other. She focused again on him as he spoke again. His words were not of much comfort unfortunately but also they were so strange. He can’t be of much use looking for them. Kiri's brow furrowed at why it would be that he can't help. Is he incapable? Unwilling? Can he not see?

Before Kiri could speak she heard steps coming closer. Kiri turned her body to face whomever it was that might be there. Hazel eyes focused in on perhaps the sharpest looking mare Kiri had ever seen. Her colors are pleasant on the eyes but its the sharpness in her structure that Kiri finds the most appealing. It hints towards something peculiar and taunting at the darker corners of the mind.

All fascination in Kiri’s eyes faded as soon as the mare began to speak. Liar! It’s not possible… Part of Kiri wanted to just to just shake this mare for saying something so preposterous! The other part wanted to break out in laughter till her company thought her off her rocker in more ways than one. Instead she just stared at the mare. Say something! Kiri thought to herself before saying the customary greeting of her people.

Kia ora.

Pausing for a moment she collected her thoughts.

There must be some mistake. I have never heard of Helvia or Helovia. I was birthed on Te Waka-a-Aoraki or The canoe of Aoraki in your language. My family was running with me just a moment ago I swear.

She spoke the name of her island as she looked at the stallion who called himself Shahroka. Worlds Edge, Dragons Throat. What kind of names are those for homes anyways?

There was a storm… a bright flash of light close by took everyone by surprise. Someone broke the fence where the two leggers kept us and everyone ran. I was running with them to the woods where we all got split up…. How does that even happen?

The something popped into her head.

Wait! Are you gods? Did you bring me here!?

They didn’t look like gods but how the hell would I know what gods look like anyways but right now it is the only thing that makes sense. What would they be gods of…perhaps of the birds and the stones? Her eyes are inquisitive but her mind feels like someone has taken Kiri’s little world and placed it in a mason jar like some little bug and shook it till Kiri couldn’t tell up from down anymore.

(“Kia ora” – Maori greeting)

Talk

@shahrokh
@manon
Apologies for the long post. Did not realize how long it was getting. I'll keep the word count down on the next one.

Space

She smiled wryly, hovering between pity and impatience - she was young, and even Manon had been uncertain when faced with the Threshold of Helovia, how it had existed when she had been so certain that her life, her world, had been the only one. Manon remained quiet, knowing that more questions would follow. She took the time to study Shahrokh, her sharp eyes sliding over him with a practised elegance. Sometimes she wondered what exactly the Throat was like, and how different her life would have been if she had chosen to go with Sikeax to the island. Most herd members she had met from the Throat had been warrior-esque and desert born, but she imagined their people would vary as much as they did at the Edge.

"I cannot explain the Threshold nor how it works, but the way I see it-" Manon paused suddenly, realising she didn't know the young girls name "- you can either try to find your way back, a difficult feat but perhaps not impossible, or you can explore Helovia, and perhaps try to find your family through other means." Manon paused again, an amused smile upon her soft lips "and we are not Gods. Or, at least, I am not." She would leave his own godliness to the Throat boy. She looked him over once more, silver lashes demure as she noted his youth, but also how handsome he was. He would grow to be a fine warrior, and no doubt a fine young man, too. A pity she wasn't interested in men. Manon looked back to the newcomer, asking: "Let's start with your name. Then you can start to think about which direction you would like to take."

@Kiri nothing wrong with a long word count!
@Shahrokh

Absent Abyss
dark
@Kiri --

The story the girl describes is an unfortunate one, my stomach sinking at the idea of losing your entire family without realizing, a sudden and swift punch to the gut upon the realization that you are completely alone— trapped in a foreign land you have never heard of, in a place far, far away from anything familiar to you. I furrow my brows in tandem with her tale, ears sliding back and stomach twisting at the idea. How was she so held together? Had I been in her place, I would have found myself a pitiful disaster, a sensitive body falling apart, collapsing as my world came crashing down before me. How do you go on after that?

And I stiffen then, realizing that I had lost my entire family, not so suddenly, not swept out from under me— but gradually. It was a grueling process, starting with the disappearance of my sister, I have almost forgotten her completely, but some part of me clings to the faintest memories of her in hope that some day I will see her again. And following that, my mother, Aurelia, who I have such a faint grasp of, who almost never existed to me at all but in the hushed moans of Momma on late nights when she could only sob. And then Momma herself, gone because her will to carry the burden of another life when her own was just too heavy, faded and was washed away by her sorrows— her leaving was the most painful, it was a gradual process, where she began to move away from me little by little, reject me and turn away from my needs. Then, she left— and with her went every bit of hope and love and joy in my life, every beaming smile and awe inspiring description of the world she saw. She left behind an emptiness nothing could not fill.

The sympathy washes over me, the knowing how it feels to be utterly alone, I yearn to comfort her and tell her that perhaps there is still hope for her yet— but how could I say that, when I have let go of hope long ago?

“Magic, perhaps?” It is the only plausible explanation, that she was brought here on a whim by some unseen force, by a higher power whisking her away and into a whole new world filled with a new language and culture (how terrifying). “I wouldn't know why, but I'm sure it's possible. There's surely a way to get you home.” It's all I have to offer, as far as I can go to comfort the foreign mare, because despite my desperate need for knowledge, I have little to offer. My elusiveness is paying the price, with my withdrawal from society costing me, spending a moment wishing I'd ventured out of the Throat and gathered whatever I could rather than pitying myself endlessly. I could not console this stranger any more, frustrated that I cannot offer her anything more.

I shake my head, although flattered that she believes I am some deity, it is wrong. I am far from such, no spectacular powers to showcase or vast wisdom to display for the lost woman. “No, I am not any god either. Just a boy.” A useless one at that. It would be no surprise if the foreigner chose to pursue Manon in the Edge than follow me back to the Throat. I'm nothing of a social butterfly or friendly face, nor a charmer or really anything special at all. Huh.

I clear my throat, swallowing the self pity and feelings of worthlessness (they'll come back later). “As Manon said, it is best to first start with a name before deciding what path to walk.” For there are many, and we only represent two of the infinite numbers she could choose to follow.
“talk talk talk.”
-- table by velvette --

Outcast
Bonita

Kiri

Kiri thought the next words would be some sort of extravagant answer and she listened quietly to each of them. She watched them earnestly as her mind kept trying to keep busy from what her heart was yearning to feel. It was the first moment she felt like she was accepting what is happening and that she might want to stay here. She smirked as best as she could to each of them and thought for a moment, somewhat disappointed, that they were not gods. I have always wanted to meet a god.

Do I want to stay here? I have a chance to make a life for myself now, by myself. It sounds hard to try and get back but it sounds like I could if I really wanted to. Maybe one day someone else could come across the threshold like I did.

Kiri can tell the beautiful rustic hued mare was losing some of her patience but Kiri didn’t really care one way or the other but Kiri understands. Manon is right, to make it here she needs to start going somewhere. She needs to pick a path.

My name is Kiri. It means skin of a tree or fruit if you were curious.

She gave a large grin and laughed gingery. Long lion tail flicking sideways, long hair flowing with the movement.

I grew up next to the ocean and that is where I am the most comfortable. Is there somewhere near the ocean to live? I do love the ocean! If there is a place like that, I would like to start there.”

Kiri didn’t know if either place was like this but a girl can hope. Kiri also knew that it will feel as close to home as she will get for now.

Talk

@shahrokh
@manon

It's a short one I know. My writing is getting drained with the speed dating but I still wanted to get this post in too.

Space

"Kiri," Manon began, storing the name within her mind for later consideration, "I, too, have a deep love for the ocean - there are many places within Helovia that connect to it. I live at a place called the Worlds Edge, there you would find the most stunning cliffs that provide the most beautiful view of the ocean. I often watch the sun rise and set from their heights.." Manon paused, husky voice fading as she looked between her two young companions. She knew that the Throat was surrounded by water, only accessible through flight or with a secret key. Still, she had chosen the Edge, and adored the clifftops and her ocean view with a secret passion.

"I can take you there - find you a place within the herd" she paused for a moment before adding "The Edge can be a new start, if that is what you desire." Despite her own qualms about life within a herd, Manon could not help but to feel that the young unicorn would do well at the Edge. Most herd members were kind, open and honest - much like Kiri. Manon certainly did not include herself within such a group, for she preferred her own company, and that of the serpent Toulouse. Still, as good a place to start as any.

@Kiri
@Shahrokh