the Rift

[OPEN] I GOT A RIPPED UP JACKET.

Reichenbach Posts: 62
Dragon's Throat Guardian atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7.0
Stallion :: Equine :: 17hh :: 8 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Space
[Image: 14dhslw.jpg]

R E I C H E N B A C H

His arrival into the Throat had been anticlimactic - for everyone else involved but him. Reich had marvelled at the stunning architecture of the bridge he had crossed and at the surrounding azure ocean. He had grinned at the sight of the red walls, the orange dirt and the general "desert-ness" of his new home. Even now, over a week after his arrival he still marvelled and hummed with pleasure at the red rock below him and the cacti that he had taken a particular liking to. The Throat was a pleasant, family oriented kind of place that thrummed with activity - everyone seemed to have a job to do, something most did without complaint, and the sound of general contentment echoed in his ears every morning when he awoke, and each night before he closed his abyssal eyes to sleep. It had begun to niggle and gnaw at him, this purposelessness, and so he had set out this very morning to discover what, exactly, he could do to assist his fellow herd mates.

A few positions he knew: Warriors, Crafters, Spies. Others he had discovered only from observing - there was certainly something to do with healing, and possibly a deity-related position that Reich had instantly shied from. He had never been an overtly devout man, though he was open minded, and often relied on his own strength and smarts to live the life he desired. He had a vast curiosity about the Gods - and also a strict, bone-chilling fear of them. That, perhaps, was a good thing. Musing on this, the handsome bay man wandered toward the large lake that centred the Throat, his muscles rolling fluidly and with distinct ease. At first glance he may have appeared plain amongst the extravagant and beautiful pegasi, but his deep mahogany skin and lack of wings belied his handsome, if rough, exterior. His bones were hewn from the depth of the earth, strong and elegant along the line of his broad, muscular shoulders and knotted back. His hair cascaded in a mess of ebony curls, tangling within the length of lashes that seemed impossibly long for someone so masculine - and his eyes, pools of abyssal silver containing a depth of emotion unfathomable.

Reich paused at the lakes edge, the coins in his hair jingling noticeably in the slight breeze. He considered calling out for Volterra but (and this had been much to his surprise) the man that had collected him from the Threshold was the King. Sultan Reich corrected in his head, glancing about him as if someone had heard his internal words. He returned his gaze to the lake, watching the water lap at his hooves with a distinct pleasure, praying his thoughts remained on the task at hand.

@Volterra if you aren't swamped! But also open to anyone xx
please tag Reich in all posts
Force & Magic allowed short of permanent maiming & death

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow
Sultan. Who would have thought that one word could hold so much meaning, so many connotations? Since he was a little boy still latched to his dam's teat, Volterra has wanted to be a king. He has craved dominion, power, for as long as he can remember, and he geared his whole life towards obtaining his goal. He strengthened his body through endless battles, hardening muscles that were already well-bred and powerful; he obtained magic to help him on his way, fierce dragons to fight at his side. He began to show an interest in politics, in the delicate spiderweb of herd relations, the subtleties that had always been lost on a man so big, so blatant in everything he did.

The titan's dream is now a reality. He stands as Sultan, as emperor of the Dragon's Throat, lord over these golden sands. In the Sun God's name he holds the crown of one of the largest herds in Helovia, and he is hard-pressed to suppress his utter delight in the new position he's found himself in. There's a spring in his step, a powerful, authoritative addition to his stride; the throne he now holds is obvious in the thick curve of his neck, in the regal set of his face. His dragons are, if possible, even more overjoyed than him, especially Vadir. "I queen, you king," she gleefully tells him as she soars alongside him, one leathery wingtip brushing gently against his side. Vérzés nestles into his broad back, his ruby scales glimmering beneath the harsh sun of their home.

The stallion has no goal in particular with today's idle plod around the desert; he's simply wandering his kingdom, bathing in his good fortune and contemplating the future of glory that he will lead the Throat into. Lost in thought, Volterra finds himself approaching the oasis, and Vadir immediately increases the pace of her wings to send herself zooming faster through the air. She sends her bonded a quick image of a familiar bay man stood at the water's edge, before plummeting like a golden cannonball into the centre of the lake. She emerges from the depths with a wiggling fish clutched in her strong jaws, which she joyously devours whilst floating lazily on her back.

Volterra snorts his amusement at his dragon's antics as he edges closer to the mahogany man nearby. "Reichenbach," comes the Indomitable's baritone rumble, his broad skull dipping in greeting to the other equine. He'd recruited the man when he'd still been Gladiator, but he is sure word has spread about his recent promotion. "How are you finding the Throat?"

volterra
vérzés & vadir

coloring & coding credit

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Maren the Crownless Posts: 264
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.0 :: 6 HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Mr. Teatime :: Siberian Tiger :: Sing Yewrezz

BY THE PRECEPTS OF HER PURITY

Like blooming flowers the golden sand erupted from the hills when the mare ploughed through it. Behind her she dragged her long ivory mane; a collection of knots and rough strands of hair, scoured by the salt of the sea she bathed in daily. They floated in the gold-sparkling winds like a flag. One that had seen better days, perhaps, but bleached as white as it could against the orange hues of their desert home. Like Merlin had his beard to store in his boundless knowledge, Maren had her mane. But, today, those winds came running into her face and she had to turn around to avoid the loess that would’ve undoubtedly found a way through her lashes and into her eyes. So, like that she changed her course, no longer leading to their temple of the divines, but to the oasis instead.

The ground here was harder and more flat than the dunes beside the sea, which gave a better overview of their feeding grounds. She noticed an unfamiliar stallion standing beside the basin. Is he waiting on someone? Now, this wasn’t such an usual thing, seeing a new face among her family. The stiger striped mare was many things already: Diviner, crafter, scholar… not to mention the Throat’s Official Unofficial (or was it Unofficial Official?) Water Patrol. She couldn’t also be a recruiter as well, that would be idiotic, not to mention how much her productivity would suffer. Even multi purposeful mares like me must have their standards., she mused in thought. Mr.Teatime, the Official Unofficial Water Patrol Floating Device, agreed. Anyhow, the point being; she did not know this guy and had no advantageous business knowing him, either.

But he was muscular and tall, and although he was new, the hues of his coat seemed to be dancing in a symphony with their land around him. Besides handsome, he seemed interesting, maybe even intelligent. Maren’s grey framed eyes were as silent as always when she decided that she wanted to approach this man. Perhaps she could sway him in a way that she could get him to join her apostles. Maybe he could even shine a light on  the status quo and the sick bastard of a false god who named himself kaos that was hushing their land, or at least her mind, with worry.

New Sultan Volterra, it was Mr. Teatime’s thoughts that nudged against her awareness and made her look over her shoulder. She didn’t know the former Gladiators business with the bay stallion, but she was curious at his stance in his freshly acquired position. In a way, they were both new. Not at all worried she was interrupted something private, she joined them.

“Goodday.” The stoic currents of her voice crumbled from her lips in a rather foreign sounding way for being just two words (though she always says it like one). Mr. Teatime sat down beside the back hoof Maren had put on rest, swishing his tail against the sandy rocks. Maren’s burgundy shaded eyes wandered quietly from one to the other, but finally held still at the fresh face; called Reichenbach. Like always, she had many things she wished to say, to note, to disagree one (perhaps) or to conclude, but at the moment she was content and did wanted to interfere with his possible reply to the Sultan’s question. Not yet, anyway.

Image Credits

@Reichenbach welcome! Maren is just being like õ v õ hi..
Please tag me 

Space

R E I C H E N B A C H

The water rippled suggestively, lapping at his hooves with an insistent hum of remember - but he shoved the memories savagely back into the abyss. It was almost full, that cavernous, hungry abyss wherein all of his heartbreak and sadness resided - and yet Reich maintained the idea that he could push his darkest thoughts into it forever and with no consequence. Rhaegar was not about to stride over the desert dunes with some purpose or quest, though Reich would have waited at the bottom for him for an eternity, that same gypsy grin on his handsome face, if he could make him materialise.. A vision shook him gratefully from the idea, and Reich lifted his broad head, a smile hiding the relief and gratitude that stayed for a moment too long in his silver gaze as he watched the golden dragon dive flamboyantly into the lake. "Volterra!" he boomed as the Sultan came to stand beside him. His smile was more than genuine despite their somewhat stand-offish first meeting, his mind made up that the fierce and stoic leader was clearly a good man, and an even better choice as a leader. "Oh, I'm finding it charming, and perfectly warm for my tastes," as he spoke he watched the arrival of the Diviner, whom he'd seen in passing and appreciated from afar.

"Goodday" he responded earnestly, pleased to finally meet (and soon enough, know the name of!) the Diviner. Consciously, because he was uncertain what the terms were regarding companions, he greeted both Vérzés and Mr. Teatime with a pleasant smile and dip of his head, ignoring the bounce of his ebony hair as it caught in his lashes. "I'm glad you found me actually, Vol, I've been thinking a lot about helping out around the Throat - " the stream of words paused as Reich looked to Maren, "I'm Reich, by the way - do you like to sing? You look like you would have an absolutely angelic voice." He loved to sing, loved the melody and the sway and how music could captivate even the hardest hearts - and by the Sun God himself, he was good at it. He had a husky baritone that undulated with emotion, low, gentle and passionate. Often he could be found singing to himself whilst performing mundane tasks, or simply when he was wandering. His silver eyes were intense upon Maren as he awaited her answer, eager for a companion - imagine her alto, and his baritone and.. perhaps the cello? She would look perfect singing, too. Although she would probably look perfect regardless of the situation, Reich mused, his eyes lingering upon the delicately boned sublimity of her face.

"Sorry, Vol. I was saying I would be interested in assisting with whatever task you deem me worthy of, though I believe my skills probably lay more in the physical than in the intellectual." A boyish laugh bubbled from his throat and he flicked his gold ringed ear in amusement, handsome and happy amongst the two of them. Volterra was a goodhearted man (he had a way of knowing, somehow, or was simply an excellent judge of character) and though he was somewhat serious, Reichenbach found a simple pleasure in his company. He was too petrified to name him a friend, and besides, what they had was good, simple, straightforward - no sign in the future that Volterra might do him a terrible wrong, or leave without consideration. All he gave was an outward smile at the two of them, vivacious and cheerful to a fault.

@Volterra @Maren how cute!! He and Vol should definitely become close!! They'd be adorable buddies. AND HE AND MAREN SINGING.

Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow
The new man remarks on the heat, and the corners of Volterra's muzzle twitch in a smile. The warmth is easily his least favourite part of the Throat, given his black colouration and utter dislike of being hot. He is bred for the frozen north, which makes the fact he's ended up king of the desert south dreadfully ironic.

The two stallions are not alone for long. Maren's arrival draws the newly-crowned Sultan's attention, his gaze traveling across the bodies of both her and her tiger companion. He has seen her around the herd yet has never directly spoken with her - now seems like the ideal chance to get to know the mare who holds one of his herd's highest ranks. "Maren," comes the goliath's rumbled greeting. His attention is momentarily snatched back to Vadir as the golden dragon plunges to the depths again and rises this time with a worryingly large fish wiggling between her jaws, but he swiftly returns his gaze to his two herdmates.

Reichenback addresses him, before stopping off to speak to Maren about singing. Singing?! Volterra almost swallows his own tongue in his surprise at the words, whilst Vérzés chortles on his back. "Heard you sing once, when you bathing in oasis," the dragon mentally remarks. "Sounded like dying fox." The titan ruffles his shoulders angrily and turns his head to glare at his companion. I wasn't singing, I was talking to myself about how nice the water was. The crimson beast sniggers knowingly but drops the point for now, whilst Volterra prays to all the Gods in the sky that his dragon never repeats that story.

The bay speaks again, adding that he feels he would be more suitable for the physical side of things. Approval blossoms in the leviathan's crimson gaze - when he'd first set eyes on Reichenbach, he'd earmarked him as a potential warrior. Now he is Sultan, it is even more important that he raises the Throat to be a herd that causes a frisson of fear in the hearts of its enemies; the thought of the Throat's warriors should terrify, cripple with awe. "The Throat prides itself on its strong warriors. I may not be Gladiator anymore, but I still have a keen interest in ensuring our forces are as powerful as they can possibly be - so naturally, I would suggest that you join the ranks of the warriors." He glances to Maren, keen to assuage her reaction to the two men discussing matters of war; does her rank imply she is a peaceful woman, or is she merely a cat who has had no opportunity to test her claws?

"I would be more than happy to test your abilities." His eyes gleam excitedly for a moment - despite the fact he is now a man with power, there is no hiding his unshakeable love of the battlefield. Any excuse to cross swords with another is one that he will leap gleefully upon, and he thinks Reichenbach would be a worthy match.

volterra
vérzés & vadir

coloring & coding credit

Hell yes #PowerTrio ;D @Reichenbach @Maren

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]

Pippigrin Posts: 77
Dragon's Throat Gladiator atk: 6.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 10hh :: Two HP: 68 | Buff: NOVICE
Brandybuck :: Wolverine :: None Neverrmind

home is behind the world ahead
there are many paths to tread

The hobbit roamed his home with great pride; A warrior of the Dragon's Throat was a huge responsibility! Pippin spent much of his time on patrols, gliding around and around the island, Shooing birds away from Mr. Gauchos statue and chasing manticore prides from the temple grounds.
Determined was he, the hobbit from over the hill, to become the best warrior the Dragon's throat had ever seen!

So it was as he zoomed his way past that same grumbling pack of desert manticores that he witnessed a small gathering by the water's edge. Two men of similar size and a woman covered in stripes! what a curious trio - he had to investigate.
His uncoordinated gallop balanced canter was now set towards the three gathered lakeside, his wings flared with excitement. Occasionally the wind would catch right under his wings as he bolted towards them, lifting him up momentarily until he worriedly pressed his weight downwards and stumbled forwards back into his gallop.
The Throat prides itself on its strong warriors the man had said. Of course they did! Pippin was one of those!

Cheast heaving, sparkling eyes looking upwards at the giants who stood above him, Pippigrin cheered his excited hello.
"I'm a warrior!" He declared, looking to the bay man that the dark goliath spoke to. "Are you new? I am also! My name is Pip"

☀︎

art: © x coding: © x

Maren the Crownless Posts: 264
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.0 :: 6 HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Mr. Teatime :: Siberian Tiger :: Sing Yewrezz

BY THE PRECEPTS OF HER PURITY

Maren followed Volterra’s gaze after his greeting. The golden hunter dragon that Mr.Teatime had been spying on only now caught Maren’ eye. She didn’t know if the feelings she retrieved from her companion meant whether he would have wanted to join in or not, but along with a rumbling purr he stayed put.

Meanwhile, Reichenbach mentioned helping a hand, though it was when he mentioned her singing voice that the silence in Maren’s eyes got interrupted by a slightly skeptical frown. The tip of her left wing scratched the soft skin underneath her chin, apparently in thought. Angelic. She liked that description, despite it not per se being relevant to the truth. “I guess I do like humming,” she tried, not wanting to discourage the hopes of a honest flirt. “From time to time I sing the old songs from my native land and in my own tongue - so that they may not be forgotten, you see - but, other than that...“ Maybe I should try it more often After all, singing was about expressing oneself. Something her marble face didn’t always quite manage. Her pale white features sat on the same carved face everyday, even she knew that. Then again, investing time in such a skill to achieve nothing but perhaps happiness all sounded rather extreme.  

Maren’s nose moved to touch that of her happy-go-lucky tiger companion. “You should hear Mr. Teatime’s singing, though. His voice really is magical.” He turned his purry humm into a rumbling roar in agreement, letting Maren feel the wave of energy that was released from her companion’s grasp as he did. Not entirely aware if others besides herself could feel it, she just smiled before turning back her golden gaze to Reichenbach. “And don’t forget the dunes. Even the desert sands like to sing their songs when they move around, when the winds are strong and wispy,” and her voice, too, sounded rather wispy when she said this.

Maren had seen Volterra fight Tae before, and even she had to admit that he wasn’t half that bad. Still; intellect must never be underestimated.  They were needed in harmony if one wanted to achieve greatness. Or something like that. There had so far been little need for her to pick up a sword, and she did not mind it that way.

It was then that a small pegasus joined their group. Momentarily confused, the tiger mare gazed at him; the one called Pip. “I’m a warrior” he said.  Maren looked from Mr. Teatime to the smaller variant of the stallions she had gotten used to, maybe comparing their size. Finally she shrugged it off.  “Well, what do you know. Good for you.”  

When she got the chance she added; “Naturally, as the Diviner of the Throat, I will offer you a position at my temple…”  Her silent gaze moved sideways to Volterra, perhaps hoping to make sure for one final time that the former gladiator truly did deserve him for his ranks, instead of she for her own… ranks. But she wasn’t blind for the needs of the herd, knew it did not compare next to her own. So she nodded, maybe giving up defeat.  “But I guess it would be rather rude towards my Sultan to keep you from him.” She glanced at Volterra, violets of her irrisses gleaming quietly within burgundy shadows. She would accept this fate. For now. “Let me know when it all becomes too much for you, I give therapy sessions in my free time. Enlightenment will always be there when you are in need of it.” Of course, as she didn't have much of that with all the thinking and pondering that she had to do while laying in the sun; floating on the sea, she didn't always have much of that. But sometimes the idea, of it being there just in case it is wished upon, was enough to keep ones mind sane.

Image Credits

@Reichenbach
oops sorry for the late and bad post >> Although I managed to hid a pun in there, not really feeling it xD Pip is adorable
Please tag me 

Space

R E I C H E N B A C H

Reichenbach rolls the idea of being a warrior within his mind, aware that he has been in the position before and found himself quite prolific within the role. That was, until... he shakes free of the train of thought, smiling despite the turn of his thoughts. "I would be pleased to fight for the Throat, for you -" he paused, ducking his head at Maren "- and you, too, sweet Maren." Indeed he often found himself fighting more to defend his friends than his home, though he didn't have to think much on the idea that if the Throat were in need of defending, he wouldn't shirk from the responsibility. The shine in Volterra's eyes is unmistakeable, and with a handsome grin Reich offered: "I would very much like to see you in action, Volterra - and if it must be against me, then so be it! I have, admittedly, had prior experience." He glanced at the ruby dragon nestled upon the Sultans shoulders with a conspiring gleam, both pleased and flattered that the ebony man would take the time out of his busy day to practice with a new subject.

Without a moment to gather his thoughts, in flew a small, stout man with loud lungs. Reich couldn't help but to widen his grin as the buoyant creature arrived, responding instantly with warmth and camaraderie "I am new!" he exclaimed "Reichenbach, at your service Pip. Perhaps we could train together, after my match with our Sultan?" There was no mistaking the pleasantness in his musical voice, nor the sincerity. Reich genuinely wanted to practice with someone half his size - think of the training opportunities! Next, he turned to Mr. Teatime, listening with appreciation to his deep rumble and agreeing fervently that the desert did, indeed sing. "That it does, and quite beautifully," he began, "I would like to see the temple, dear Maren - and I am forever intrigued by the workings of the Gods, and their diviners, so if you would be so inclined I should like to explore your offer - though my place would be within the ranks of the Warriors." Reichenbach paused, enjoying the warmth of the sun upon his broad back before saying "It truly is a pleasure to meet those that care so much about the wellbeing of others."

@Volterra @Maren
@Pippigrin

ew sorry the end was so weird haha and also sorry the wait!

Reichenbach accepts the offer, and Volterra's grin widens. Under his reign, he is determined to raise the Throat to be a warrior herd once again, as it was during Gaucho's heyday. If he has his way, his land will be feared for its military might, its name (and his) whispered with fear and awe by those not part of it. The other stallion adds that he has prior experience, and the Indomitable's eyes twinkle gleefully. "Excellent." As much as he enjoys training those that are new to the role, he vastly prefers testing himself against experienced warriors. He feels he can judge his own ability better when he tangles against people who know their way around the battlefield - his muscles twitch joyously just thinking about it!

He offers a grin to Maren, too, as she concedes defeat about Reichenbach joining his ranks rather than hers. He wants the Throat to have plenty of Wise Ones, too, but at this moment in time he feels that it is more important to have warriors - after all, Wise Ones will be of little use if their herd is destroyed by an invading force without the means to protect it.

I'm a warrior! The titan glances around, looking for the source of this voice, keen to meet another of his soldiers - but he can't see anything! Frowning, he looks down, then down further....ah. He is confronted with the tiniest horse he's ever seen, so diminutive that he barely passes Volterra's knees. Picking his jaw up off the floor, the titan finds himself floundering for words - this teeny tiny pony is a warrior? But...how on earth will he manage to fight? Anybody bigger would surely be able to overwhelm him on brute strength alone, and he can't imagine something so small being able to pack much of a punch.

Yet if his many years as a warlord have taught Volterra anything, it is not to underestimate anybody. As a Sultan, too, he has no wish to alienate those of his herd who are only trying to help. So he plasters on a smile and glances down to Pippigrin with as kind an expression as he can possibly adopt, whilst his dragons unhelpfully fill his mind with the question of "noms??" "Pleased to meet you, Pip. I don't believe we've met - I'm Volterra, the Sultan here."

volterra
vérzés & vadir

coloring & coding credit

I've got a couple of spars lined up over the next few weeks @Reichenbach but I'll give you a holla when I'm free if you're interested in one :D @Maren @Pippigrin

Pippigrin Posts: 77
Dragon's Throat Gladiator atk: 6.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 10hh :: Two HP: 68 | Buff: NOVICE
Brandybuck :: Wolverine :: None Neverrmind

home is behind the world ahead
there are many paths to tread

A great exhale filled his lunges, one that was expelled almost instantly with audible force, his wings rising and falling with the expansion of his barrel. Grinning towards the incredible company he'd found himself standing among, Pippigrin forgot to close his mouth for quite some time and didn't actually realise it hung slightly agape as he stood there smiling.
The tiger woman's words came first, and they were almost what the hobbit might expect from someone so superior. "sorry" he blabbed in response to the stripes lady's murmur, taking a step back as his mouth closed and his gaze cast downwards at the sand-coloured ground.
Though, his ears still remained perked as her words continued - they sounded awfully important. All about the temple, en-light-tin-twent and such things like that. It seemed he had chosen the wrong time to stumble in.

Though soon the words of the Sultan caught his ear, and without pause, the hobbit's gaze climbed up and up until he was almost craning his whole neck and skull upwards just to look the sultan in the eye. "Mr. Volterra!" he chirped "It's very nice to meet you, Mr. Volterra Sultan Sir" as he spoke this, he waved his wings with pride and nodded his head, gently reaching forwards to *stomp his left foot upon that of the Sultan's.

Next came the bellowing greeting from the other hefty stag, the one he had originally greeted. His name was Rykenbak. What a long name! Almost as long as Pippigrin. Again this brought a great grin to the warrior's face, and once more he strode forth with his wings tucked to press his hoof upon that of his new friend. Pip didn't think the meeting could get any greater, though soon he was offered yet another spar. "Oh! yes please!" He begged, scooting back into his original place across the circle to stand next to Maren. His gaze soon crossed to her, feeling inferior once again. Thus far the other two had introduced themselves, why not her?

☀︎

*male hobbits like pippin greet each other by stomping upon each other's left foot in turn. Injuries are not uncommon. Female hobbits do the same but with the right. When a male and female meet they do both (first left, then right).

art: © x coding: © x

@Maren