the Rift

[PRIVATE] run this town

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

It has been possibly the most eventful couple of weeks of his life.

First, he thought his child was dead. The swift revenge he wrought upon Airlia has left a sour taste in his mouth and yet a traitorous burning of pride in his gut - he is the father bear, and justice will be swift when one of his progeny is harmed. Then came the utter relief when he realised his daughter was not the corpse at the madwoman's hooves, and the ensuing guilt that somebody else's child was. To follow that particular emotional cocktail, he made amends with Isopia. They vowed to begin again, and he seized the chance for a fresh start with both hands.

Then the Sun God promoted him to Sultan, completing all his childhood dreams and desires. Finally, the knockout blow; Aithniel was to go on a quest for her esteemed father, leaving Volterra singlehandedly in charge of a herd that, only a year ago, he'd wanted to rain fire and death upon due to its old Sultan's stealing of his mother. How times can change! From unwanted, untrusted outsider, he has risen to king. From not caring about any of the herd save Sikeax, he has grown loyal towards his fellow Throatians and willing to fight and die in their name. From lowly outcast, unsure of herd life and its machinations, he has become a fully paid-up leader, politician, warrior.

Volterra has always possessed an unerring confidence in his own abilities. He can do anything by virtue of his formidable physical strength and unflinching determination. A part of him - the same part that controlls his temper, his wrath, his desire to rule and dominate everything that is placed before him - revels in the idea of ruling the Throat alone. He could build it into his empire, his kingdom, head of his own harem with loyal soldiers at his side and his children growing to manhood at his feet. A dynasty. A lone legacy - when they say the Dragon's Throat, they will say Volterra. They will say Indomitable, and they will quake.

The rest of him is petrified at the very notion, and Volterra is not the sort of man who takes fear lightly. But he knows the Throat can be unforgiving - the Indomitable's youth will not be any excuse for making errors of judgement. Sikeax is proof of that and she, unlike him, had already given the Throat many years of service before her fall from grace. Ruling alone is a daunting task, and whilst he thinks he could succeed if he had to, he sees no reason to compromise the safety of his herd because of his own arrogance. There is somebody who can help him, somebody who loves the herd even more than he does. She is not his lover - even though he has a pick of those to promote - and thus he is sure that he is making this decision with the head upon his shoulders and not the one between his thighs.

He stands by the oasis, his hind hooves paddling in the gently lapping waters whilst the rest of him stares away from it into the distance. He is tall, proud, strong, a black sentinel of power and regality beneath the early morning sun. Vérzés stalks fish in the shallows whilst Vadir basks upon her goliath bonded's back, the sun's rays reflecting off her golden scales and creating an explosion of refracted colour. Volterra lifts his massive skull and unleashes a loud bugle, calling for one member of the herd and one alone - Ampere.

V O L T E R R A
I'M LIVING LIKE A LANDMINE WAITING TO EXPLODE
I'M TICKING LIKE A TIME BOMB READY TO GO

drawing: chan <3

@Ampere

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
Ampere the Mother of Companions

The call pulled her from a swim in the oasis, one that felt like it was washing just as much grime from her heart was it was dirt from her coat. Long clean, she was just idling in the water, unspinning her thoughts as she swept her wings through the water and reveled in the sensation of it slipping between her feathers. The summon however broke this moment of serenity, one of Ampere's ears flicking towards the source while her eyes drifted shut in an attempt to remember this moment and hold onto it.

The blue of her gaze flung back open beneath her lashes, and her legs struck towards the bank where she pulled herself up. Although she gave her entire body a vigorous shake, water still dripped off her belly and the tips of her bunched mane and tail. Ideally she would have laid out by a nice tree and listened to the wind pass through the leaves until she was fully dried, but as it was she had to make her way through the desert, sand clutching eagerly onto her wet fetlocks. Not that she'd want to, but it was impossible to keep the desert off you.

Kygo joined her, equally drenched, and set about to preening his freshly bathed feathers as he perched on her rump. Together they approached Volterra, the newly crowned Sultan of the Dragon's Throat. Ampere couldn't help but appraise his body as she neared, comparing it to their last Sultan...

As new as he was, she'd found him to be a worthy Gladiator. Perhaps the herd's initial lack of confidence in him made him quiet in grabbing hold of his ranks and truly inspiring them - Ampere knows she ought to have had her ass kicked a while ago, grief or not - so she wondered how he might fair now as lead of all the ranks, inspired by the God of the Sun instead of a pathetic mare. Conviction aside, he was built strong, and she saw a fresh mark on him every time she looked at him which suggested to Ampere he did not shy away from his role or the hard work it entailed. He could take a beating, and he could give one, and that was enough for her.

"Sultan," she greeted, specifically to give mention to his new rank. She nodded at him, the dip of her head a sign of respect. She halted, wings flicking loosely at her back as she settled, a foot cocked for conversation. Expectantly her eyes held him, a question in them. "You called?"
Credits: Image by eagle-cry-designs @ DA

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

She emerges like a nymph from the water, and he can't help but notice the way her damp coat clings to her and emphasises each muscle and curve. He might be assured that he has made his decision for the right reasons, but that doesn't mean his masculine brain won't occasionally delve into the wrong reasons. Vadir unfurls herself upon her titan bonded's back and scrutinises the spark-marked mare with vague interest. "Better than some of the skanks you bed," she remarks, which is damning with faint praise if ever he heard it. That's not why I need to speak to her, and you know it, he retorts sharply. The queen simply chuckles darkly to herself and splays like a starfish across his broad back, allowing the sun to reach the paler golden scales on her underside.

"Mother of Companions," he greets in his thick baritone, acknowledging the dip of her head with one of his own. The Indomitable sees little point in making small talk, not when he is so keen to discover the answer to the question he is going to ask. So he skips directly to the chase, holding his hulking body tall as he looks at the blue-marked mare and begins to speak. "Aithniel has been sent on a quest by the God of the Sun. She does not know how long she will be away, but it will be long enough that she can no longer perform her duties as Sultana." Volterra hadn't wanted to pry about the details of the quest, but he is sure it must be important for the Sun God to select his daughter for it. He pictures an expedition to a far-off land, searching for clues about how to destroy Kaos. He imagines glamour, adventure, danger. Whatever her task, he is sure the Inquisitor will perform it to the best of her abilities, and whilst he is loathe to lose her presence at his side, they cannot go against the Sun God's whims.

"She is happy for me to fill the vacant position as I see fit, or leave it open and rule alone." Again he thinks of the possibilities of doing the latter - being able to mould and shape the herd to his own vision of perfection, raising an empire under his iron fist. Not answering to anybody but himself, making decisions entirely on his own...yes, it is appealing, to be a tyrant, but he does not think it would be the best for the herd. And as Sultan, the Sun God's chosen leader, he cannot let the Throat down by refusing to see past his own arrogance.

"I would like the position to go to you, Ampere, if you will have it." He pauses for a moment, for dramatic effect and to observe her face and try to gauge her reaction to the offer. "Your passion and desire to aid the herd exceeds even my own. You are trusted and valued here, and I can think of nobody better to share the throne with me." He fixes her with that intense crimson gaze of his, whilst Vadir, despite herself, rolls over to listen to the mare's response. Vérzés somewhat ruins the moment by catching a fish in a loud cacophony of splashing and chomping, earning him a withering glare from his golden sister.

V O L T E R R A

@Ampere

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]

The dragons which accompany Volterra set Kygo on edge, and with an anxious 'peep' he shuffled under the shelter of Ampere's mane for the duration of the meeting. She's grown abiding of his touch ever since the loss of Gaucho, leaning on their bond even if she never wanted to. She's aware of this, ethical hypocrisy when Volterra uses her other name, one that seems least deserving of her now more than ever. She is reminded too of her conversation with the lightning creature, asking her what she wanted.

"To fight," she had said then, and meant it.
To fight for what?
For the weak, for those who could not fight for themselves. To Ampere that largely meant companions, but it felt like the fight had left her long ago in that regard. It still bothered her in her very core every time she saw someone with one, or especially two. She hated every time she saw an egg hatching, or a mass gathering around a yet unclaimed egg. Yet all her past attempts, all her fury and her outrage had earned neither her nor them anything substantial other than enemies barring her path. She liked to think Gaucho and this herd stepped in then, distracting her from what really mattered, and in some recent hours she has wondered if the loss of that stallion meant her heart was free to pursue her namesake once more.

Yet even with that revelation, she has remained among the sands, as dutiful as ever, more accepting of her own companion than ever, but still condemning her son and everyone else. What do you want? She exhaled steadily.

It was still the same answer, but maybe it didn't have to be just companions. Maybe fighting it alone wasn't her answer.
She was a mother now, in actuality compared to when she began to be known by that second name, and a mother is capable of love no matter what. She is fierce, forgiving, and guiding. Not all fights need be fought with teeth and hooves...

These thoughts swirl amid their conversation, dwelling in the back recesses of her mind, where the shadow of her heart lurks. For the moment however, she gives a soft gasp at Volterra's news of Aithniel. Concern immediately crosses her facade, and a rushed, worried, "What? Alone?" escapes her before she has time to school herself. No longer able to doubt she is Aithniel's mother, she is anxious to know her as a daughter (if afraid to do so as well). "I mean," she tries to explain, "with Kaos around, she seems like a prime target, and Kaos is dangerous... but I trust in the Sun, may his guiding light send Aithniel on the right path." Ampere gulped, doing her best to believe the words she just said.

It doesn't cross Ampere's mind why Volterra would be sharing this news with her (he surely doesn't know her connection to the Inquisitor) until he continues to speak. Just as he's about to say it, she thinks she knows, and her feathers lift faintly with the thrill that races through her.
"...to go to you Ampere..."

The edges of her body seem to dissolve momentarily, replaced with electric sparks and jagged, arcing lines that connect them, dancing with electric light. Her heart thuds in her chest, a roar in her ears, and she can't help but think of the last time she stood on the precipice of the crown and her utter failures. She was a different horse then, though, wasn't she?

She blinks, and her outline re-solidifies as she reigns in her tempest nature. "Yes," she says strongly, seriously, before cracking a smile as her nerves dissipate with that acceptance. "I would be honored to guide the herd alongside you."

A more astute, observant man than Volterra may have wondered about the level of anxiety in the mare's words as she reacts to his news of Aithniel's quest. He might have associated that nervousness with his own whenever he thinks one of his children are in danger, the primitive urge to protect despite his utter faith in his offspring's natural strength and ability to defend themselves. Alas, Volterra has never been the best at reading the subtleties, so he simply assumes Ampere's concern is for a beloved Sultana and long-term herdmate, and doesn't think any more about it.

Trying desperately to tune out the background noise of Vérzés' noisy devouring of his fishy catch, the Indomitable continues to hold his gaze on the winged mare as she gives her answer to his question. Yes, she says, and a broad smile flexes across the stallion's refined and handsome features. He hadn't truly thought that she would say no, but it is nice to have it confirmed. "Excellent. I intend to call a herd meeting soon to notify the rest of the Throat of Aithniel's quest. I will inform them of your promotion then." He is sure the denizens of the Throat will be thrilled with the news. It's clear that most of them admire and adore Ampere for her long-term service to the herd and to the God of the Sun himself, which should balance out any misgivings they still hold about the Indomitable himself. Of course, Volterra doesn't know exactly how close the Mother of Companions is to their fiery deity, having never thought to muse over the maternal side of Aithniel's parentage, but he thinks he is safe in assuming that she is loyal to the Sun and a proud follower of his ways.

The titan shifts slightly, causing Vadir to hiss as her comfortable position is disrupted. "Now seems as good a time as any to decide what direction we wish the herd to go in, and what we wish to discuss with the herd when I call the meeting. Have you any opinions on how the Throat should be run? Things like the activities of its warriors, the duties of its sleuths, its alliances, and so on?" He feels a thrum of excitement at the idea of being able to discuss all these things with somebody. Having someone to bounce ideas off is vastly appealing, although he does wonder on what would happen should Ampere disagree with a suggestion of his or vice versa.

V O L T E R R A

@Ampere

Volterra's quick and decisive nature in his selection of a second lead helps curb some of Ampere's doubts about his ability to lead. That he extends his mind towards her to share ideas and work together takes her trust even further. Her smile grows, and her posture relaxes considerably.

She is reminded of the time she and Africa talked about these exact issues. They had bantered over their ideas, and though it got heated at one point, they had worked well together, as brief as it had been. It's the first time the mare had crossed Ampere's mind in a while, and she misses the gray pegasus, she misses much of what she has come to lose over the years. I'm getting old she thinks, blinking away the sentimental thoughts.

"I've been living here many seasons," Ampere starts, hoping to give her ideas some credit, though by no means insisting his don't matter simply because he's new. "In that time we were mostly solid beneath..." a pause, the grief still there, like a gaping hole that had finally stitched itself shut but could be made to bled with enough aggravation. "Gaucho," she says the name with a push of breath through her teeth, and her flanks heave for a moment as it passes, but it seems therapeutic, like a ghost has been expelled from her being.

"He had several leads alongside him, and a few before him, myself included." She paused, not sure if Volterra knew she had once been Sultana. "In that time a firm leader has always been the most well received. Though by no means tyrannical, it's important to wield the authority of the rank. Listen to the herd, but don't necessarily ask them to speak, and don't hesitate to shut them up." She smirked a bit, tail flicking at her heels. "We're a family here, but like any family we can bicker." She shrugs, unapologetic.

"We have always done well as a warrior nation. Though we've never attack other herds, we do not conquer, we are strong. The desert makes us so, even among the ranks that do not tear themselves apart. We respect the warrior way, and I would have us grow that rank which has been dwindling." A pause, mouth still ajar, about to speak again. Her 'brow knits with realization. "We should grow all the ranks - we are thinner than ever before, and our numbers are mostly bolstered by the young."

Volterra has only known the herd as its been in ruins, so she felt the need to say those things, as general as they were.
"Our recent weakness will not have gone unnoticed. We should reaffirm our relation with the other herds, if cautiously. I know the Elephant King, Tembovu, leads the Edge currently, or did last I was there. Deimos the Reaper and Hotaru the Valkyrie led the Basin last I heard, but I don't travel north much." Ampere made a face, clearly not fond of the Basin, or at least not the pink queen. "I don't think we've forged any alliances with either herd other than agreement to trade and be civil, but that was a while ago."

"When we do see the other herds, we must put on a strong force. I think eventually we should remind Helovia of our might with a fighting tournament in our ring, let them know that we will always burn, even without the Wildfire. We have the Sun's fire."

"Of course we must rebuild within too. Maren is a magnificent wise one. We ought to seek out her council often; her connection to the Sun gives her wisdom beyond any other horse, and will help guide us in His light. The healers are doing well," Ampere beamed slightly, her daughter among those ranks. "The crafters..." here Ampere drew a heavy sigh. "You see the work they've done. The bridge, the temple, the battle arena - I know the both of them, Cera and Sohalia, I love them, but perhaps they have taken the loss of Gaucho too hard to maintain their work. The forges never seem to be running any more, and our days, our metal, is too precious to let idly squander. Many of our members could be better equipped with armor or weapon, and the other herds value our goods greatly."

Here Ampere gave pause. She'd said a lot, though she did not drag it out, eager to hear his input as well, but wanting to lay her's on the table. Ampere was not a shy horse in any regard. "As for the sneaks, they have never been a strong rank of ours, and I fear they're even quieter than the crafters. They may be good at going unnoticed, but they shouldn't be gone." Ampere grunted, the least impressed with that rank of them all. "Admittedly I've never found them very useful, but we need them to collect information that our other ranks are less capable of getting. We must keep tabs on the other herds, and especially with Kaos around, we need all the intel we can get. As for the actual stealing they think they ought to do... I find it dishonorable. We have the means to make what we need, and anything else can be settled with a good fight. If they must steal, then they should help those who have been wrongly taken from." Ampere's mouth set in a hard line, and her eyes watched him carefully. Up until now her ideas had been pretty general and common sense, but in this she was a bit more, selective, and she wasn't sure how he'd take it.

"We can make the Dragon's Throat great again, but we've got a lot of work to do."

It does not surprise him when Ampere reveals that the last time the herd had been stable was beneath Gaucho's reign. Volterra might personally have disliked the man purely based upon his treatment of Confutatis, but that doesn't mean he cannot respect the Wildfire's achievements as king and warlord. He'd ruled the Throat for many years and his abilities on the battlefield are, as yet, unmatched, although if Volterra continues in a similar vein to his current one then he may well overtake them. It is obvious that the herd adore their fallen leader, which is perhaps why Sikeax's perceived underachievements had been taken so badly.

It is a surprise, though, when she reveals that she was once a leader alongside him. He should have known, he supposes, given her political abilities. As she mentions being a firm leader, the stallion finds himself nodding in agreement. "I agree. I personally favour a firm but fair leadership style - willing to listen and to consider the herd's opinions, whilst ensuring that they know I am their leader. The Throat strikes me as the sort of herd that will not accept a leader they perceive as weak, so we must ensure we earn their respect and work hard to keep it." Again, he thinks of Sikeax. He knows she is not weak, but her inactivity and lack of willingness to make decisions had turned the herd against her. Volterra's physical presence and battle prowess will hopefully prevent that, but he must back it up with his abilities too.

His ears prick and a small smile spreads across his jaws as she speaks of a warrior nation. "Why, Ampere, it is like you have read my mind," he rumbles, approval glinting deep in the fathomless crimson of his eyes. "I want the Dragon's Throat to be spoken of with awe, known for its hardened warriors and its ability on the battlefield." That had been largely the case during Gaucho's reign, and Volterra dreams of the day he will lift the Throat back to those glory days.

At the mention of alliances, he casts his mind back to the meeting with the Basin. Judging by Ampere's face, her opinion of the place is no higher than the Indomitable's own. "I would suggest caution around the Basin. Hotaru and one of the herd's women came to the Throat a few months back and sought council with Aithniel. Things did not go peacefully - it appears the Basin has some skeletons in its closet that it would rather not be unearthed, not least the fact that it has attempted to tear the wings from pegasi children in the past." The thought makes him glower. "I cannot be sure how things were left, but I think it would be safe to assume that we are not allies. I would be unsurprised to see their sleuths attempting to steal from us - we must be on our guard." He stomps a hoof, thinking of possible thieves attacking his home. "With the Edge, I see no reason for us not to reaffirm our relationship with them. Indeed, their king owes me a favour after I once helped return one of his wandering children to him."

The mention of a fighting contest makes the smile widen and he beams at the blue mare, eyes blazing with ruby fire. "And yes, a fighting tournament would be splendid. Perhaps we should wait until we have bolstered our military forces, though, as it would be dreadfully embarrassing to be humiliated on our own sands." At the moment, he wouldn't trust any of the herd's warriors save for a select few to uphold the Throat's good name on the battlefield.

The conversation moves to ranks, and the leviathan nods again. "I would suggest that we perhaps re-evaluate our highest ranks once a year. Forgive me for saying this, but I have noticed that certain individuals maintain their ranks based on their name and past deeds alone, whilst doing little to deserve it. If we monitor their activity throughout the year and they know we will not hesitate to demote them should they fade into the background, they should be more inclined to remain active." He is thinking of Cera, Sohalia, Ophelia - all loyal Throat members with ranks befitting their name, but none of them around much. During his days as Gladiator Volterra had been guilty of not forcing his warriors to do everything they should, but he does not intend to repeat that mistake now he is Sultan. Inactivity will not be tolerated.

Then, Ampere moves onto sneaks. The titan tenses, half-fearing that she will suggest they use them often, take from anybody that they wish. This would be a bone of contention, as Volterra loathes the act of stealing and would, if he had his way, abolish it completely. It is a great relief when the spark-mare instead echoes his own sentiments, and his thick muscles visibly relax. "It is a relief that you feel that way, Ampere. I was beginning to think that I was only horse in Helovia who disapproved of stealing and who believes that if you want something, you should be willing to fight for it. It would not sit well with my conscience if we allowed our sneaks to freely take what they want from the vulnerable or even from other herds, even if doing so would swell our own stocks. I believe that they should be utilised mainly for the purpose of gaining information on other herds and any outcast bands that may be around." He tilts his head at her suggestion, though. "You raise an intriguing point about allowing them to take back what has been stolen, however. Whilst I doubt that they will ever become a strength of ours, it would be good to know that we have the means to reclaim things that have been taken." There's a glint in his eye as he comes to his own suggestion, something that will allow him to utilise his formidable fighting ability. "Might I also suggest that, should you or I manage to foil a stealth for one of our members, that we challenge the thief and prevent them attempting to steal from us again? It would act as an excellent deterrent to other potential thieves if they know they will be beaten to a pulp should we catch them in their foul act." And Volterra is only too happy to partake in the beating.

All in all, things seem to be going well. They appear to agree on a lot of things and this is a relief - Ampere's experience will be valuable during these difficult times. "We will make it great, I am sure of it. The threat of Kaos hangs heavy above our heads, however....perhaps we should suggest that members of the herd do whatever they can to gain information on him. I personally have visited his Marsh countless times to try and find some weaknesses, but I have come up empty-handed. I confess, though, that observing anything outside the battlefield is not a strength of mine." He gives a somewhat sheepish grin.

V O L T E R R A