the Rift

[OPEN] let me set the scene

Amaris Posts: 299
World's Edge Philosopher atk: 5.5 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16h :: 4 years HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Dramyrth :: Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Frost Breath Whit
amaris
dragonborn
There was no question where Amaris would travel to next on her search for her cousin. The lands of moon and mist were where they were all born, where her mother ruled, all those years ago. Tandavi, the dragonmare promised, I will find you again.

It was a slower journey than she would have liked from the southern borders of the realm. Amaris was exhausted, but stubborn determination pushed her onwards - she would not rest again until she had seen her cousin again, until she knew Tandavi was at least alive and safe. She hoped for more of course - she hoped her cousin would forgive her again, would welcome her back into the folds of her family and herdland, would believe the truth behind her extended absence - it hasn't been extended for me.

Sweat, dried and wet alike, blended with the dust and dirt of travel upon her thick pelt. Heat did not usually bother Amaris, dragon-borne creature that she was, but she was also pushed almost to the limits of her endurance and fitness. Rest, Dramyrth insisted, over and over, and time and time again Amaris simply continued on. I have to find her, it was her mantra, the constant hum repeating in her crown, so much so that Dramyrth relented and simply did what he could to aid his bonded. He scouted ahead, seeking out the path of least resistance for his tired little dragonmare, shooing away any wildlife that could be deterred by a short spout of frost- or flame-breath, and otherwise directing Amaris on a different route if he met anything too dangerous.

Her wings drooped at her sides - she could have completed the journey so much faster had she just been able to take off; alas, her energy was sapped, drained, so a slow stumbling walk was it. Her conscience would not let her rest, not since Dramyrth had fallen into his curious, pseudo-hibernation - and then that determination was redoubled as she realised the full impact of what had occurred. Almost two years had passed -- two years -- and she would not rest until she knew for a certainty that her Tandavi was alive and well and happy, even if to ensure that happiness remained it meant her sun-marked cousin wanted nothing to do with her.

It was fortunate that the Edge's new (well, new to Amaris) gateway was on the southern border, for it was more luck, chance, that enabled her and Dramyrth to stumble across it. The borders were unrecognisable - the last time she had been here, remnants of the old wall that was built during her mother's reign still existed - now, it seemed those remnants had been transformed again, into spikes. Amaris idly wondered if they did anything more than look imposing - but she wasn't so foolish as to touch or challenge them and find out.

Amaris knew enough about herds, particularly those who resided in the World's Edge, to be patient and wait for a guard to walk by - the Moon Goddess simply would not allow anyone less than worthy to reside within her borders. Dramyrth circles above her, letting out a polite call as he did so, before landed lightly upon Amaris' back. A purr rumbled through her - they were here at last, they would find what they were looking for, and then -

Then they would be able to rest.

"."
sky above me — earth below me
and fire within me

@Tandavi
@Mesec
Open for any and all to attend if they want C:
No need to mirror my post length - I have a horrible case of the rambly writer syndrome!
I like being tagged!
You are always welcome to 'try' and use force/magic on Amaris, but similar to spar posts, leave it to me to decide how the damage is taken please~

Tandavi The Fire Dancer Posts: 245
World's Edge Nurse atk: 6.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Natraj :: Plain Kitsune :: Fire Charks

She knows. It is impossible to say how. Perhaps the scent of the dragonmare was stolen by a playful breeze; perhaps the golden magic of the hybrid bloomed so bright it caught the corners of her cousin's eyes, drawing her closer in trepidatious hope. Maybe the dragon king's cry found its way into her ears, wormed in further and faster than the girl could anticipate, lodged in her brain and compelled her to stand, to move, to walk, to run to the border, something not fully recognized blooming bright in her chest.

Regardless- she knows. There is something at the border, something important, something critical she needs to attend. There is a call in her soul that cannot be ignored, and as the girl and her brother dance through the trees they feel not fear but eagerness, not anxiety but anticipation. They are not far from the gate when they start; it is a matter of minutes before they reach the rim of the herdland and begin the arc toward the iron gate, sharp spikes shimmering in the misty light. The closer they get, the brighter they glow, Fire Dancer glittering with anticipatory embers, kitsune lashing whips of fire from his tail. By the time they reach the gate they are breathless-

-but it doesn't matter, because she is here.

The girl pulls short, dark hooves skidding on the dry summer grass, a copper figure mirroring gold, her body frozen and a border of spines separating them, the distance so small but stretching forever. Onyx eyes soak her in, wide and hungry and seeking every line, every crevice, every sign of any change. How long has it been? A century? Two? Eons- and yet no time at all, because the figure that stands before her is the same, and the love and loss and hope and desire she feels is the same, and the quivering voice is the same one she has used for years, childish and questioning, curious and deep-

"Amaris?" she whispers, deep voice quivering between hope and heartbreak, a war that rages heavy in her heart.

Hope wins.

She bounds forward, the kitsune not a moment behind, and shoves herself into the dragonmare, long neck reaching for a warm embrace, sharp tears stinging merrily in her eyes. Fire Dancer laughs into her cousin's withers; perhaps it is something about them meeting here, but she is a child again, a girl in the woods with her favorite playmate, ready to partake in adventure, to share stories and experience. "We missed you," she breathes; "Where have you been? Did you see everyone? I missed you- and Dramyth," she adds, grinning widely at the golden dragon. "He's gotten so big!"

Natraj, unwilling to be left out, struggles desperately to climb up his sister's braids and cross the bridge to Amaris' back. For once the girl complies with his antics, pulling away to stand alongside the scaled mare, making an easy bridge for her brother to cross. For her part, the copper child is happy merely to stand against her cousin's side, feel the familiar warmth and relish this moment of happiness, before anything else sinks in. To be here, in the Edge, alongside her earliest playmate, her dearset kin... it feels right in a way she hasn't felt before, and she basks in it, bathes in it, lets it sink into her troubled soul and fill her tumultuous being with peace.
x - x

@Amaris <33

o. pixel pony credit to tamme
o. permission granted to use force and magic on Tavi
o. only tag me in opening posts, please!

amaris
dragonborn
Anticipation mounts, the seconds taking eons to pass. With Dramyrth resting upon her withers, the golden girl takes deep, steadying breaths, pushing away the fatigue and clutching with all her might on to her mental acuity - she did not want to miss a potential second with her cousin, she wanted to be fully conscious, completely and wholly in the moment so that she could fully embrace every second she was allowed to spend with her beloved Tandavi. For Amaris was still under the impression that she would be turned away, exiled from Tandavi's heart, never permitted to dream or hope of return - it simply was in her nature to assume that others thought of her the same way she thought of herself (the worst).

But dream and hope she did, for her heart could not help itself - selfish though it was, she wanted nothing more than to be welcomed back like no time had passed at all ( because it hadn't, not for her ), she needed the reassurance that her sunkissed cousin was alive and thriving, because Tandavi deserved nothing less than that.

Her ears, which were pricked already, seemed to rise to new heights as her eyes widened at the sound of approaching footsteps. Then it happens - she sees her, she holds the beautiful Fire Dancer in her sights, and she breathes her name through quivering lips and twitching nostrils. Her heartbeat seemed to lurch, to skip a beat or two or three as she hears her own name crafted by her cousin's crimson lips, and then accelerate again with a flourish of excited shivers down her spine. And suddenly the rest of her body was moving too, and she was falling into her cousin's embrace, a deep purr humming from somewhere in her chest, a sound altogether soothing and expressing the sheer joy and relief the sight of her made Amaris feel.

"Tandavi," she said into her cousin's glorious mane, laughter on her voice and vibrating through her very soul as Dramyrth moved further down along her back to better inspect the sunkissed mare (and make way for Natraj as he guesses the kitsune's intentions). Tandavi pulls away some and alarm flares briefly within her (was that it? Was she leaving her now, scorning her, rejecting her already?), but it is swiftly squashed as she feels the dancing paws of Natraj upon her spine. Amaris turns her tiara to greet him warmly, and it is evidence of the intensity of her feelings that Dramyrth immediately feels the same and offers a playful bow to the smaller vulpine creature.

Amaris breathes deeply and happily, almost afraid that this was only going to be temporary, fleeting - but no, she would not let it be. Not ever again.

And Tandavi asked the question, sought out the answers Amaris knew she would, and Amaris hated that her reply was to be so insufficient, so unfair, so unbelievable and yet, the dragonmare had to try. Her compliment to Dramyrth did not go unnoticed by the little dragon king, who preened himself quite happily, fluttering with a fourish of his generous wingspan over to land lightly upon Tandavi's back, purring a deep, guttural sound not unlike that which Amaris was making before. She will understand, he reassured his bonded, she is wise. (Internally, Amaris wanted to question him further on this assessment, knowing full well how vain he was, but she instead chose to ride on the wave of confidence he was permeating and push on.)

"I travelled fast, as I promised I would. Our trip to my father's birthland was swift and I only intended on staying there three days - but on the morn of the second day, he - " (she indicated with a tilt of her crown) " - fell ill. I don't know what it was exactly - he was out of synchrony with me, the bond was faded, obscured somehow - oh, Tandavi, I was so afraid!" It was the first time she had admitted just how much Dramyrth's condition had shook her out loud, and it was only to her cousin that she knew she would ever utter those words directly to. "I carried him back here, the return journey took half the time, such was my rush. When we crossed the Threshold, I felt the bond return, I felt him again and - " here she hesitated, for here, now the implications of everything was to finally being revealed.

Would Tandavi believe her?

What else could she say if not the truth?

"Tandavi, look at me. Look at my pelt, it still has winter's cloak upon it. I travelled for barely half a season, I expected to return when the snowmelt was flooding the rivers." She was almost pleading now, desperate for her cousin to believe her, to understand she did not mean for this to happen, it was an accident, a magical rift, a shift in the timelines, unexplainable and yet, evident. The dragonmare leaned and stretched to show her thick, warm, sweaty body, ignoring the slight tremoring that rattled her limbs, betraying the utter exhaustion that she refused to recognise (who had time to be tired when one was greeting their beloved cousin for the first time in forever?). "Dramyrth aged at the same rate as if he were here - he is the size and maturity of a dragon of two full turns - but it has not even been half a season since we bid you farewell."

"I went to the Throat first, looking for you. Ampere was there, she helped me find you, and, and -"
and there was so much else, but the dragonmare could not speak anymore, for her throat was dry and crackled, her voice fading and the energy from her excitement of finally seeing Tandavi again diminishing. She had explained enough, she hoped, and would keep explaining if Tandavi needed her to - but for now, she breathed a deep breath, and leaned upon her cousin's slender but sturdy frame, blinking back tears of joy and exhaustion, hoping she would not be turned away - selfishly taking this embrace for herself anyway. There's no place like home.

and fire within me

@Tandavi Want to hear a funny story? I said to myself, when I started this post, that it would not be a long one. Gadnabbit.
No need to mirror my post length - I have a horrible case of the rambly writer syndrome!
I like being tagged!
You are always welcome to 'try' and use force/magic on Amaris, but similar to spar posts, leave it to me to decide how the damage is taken please~

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah
a light from the shadows shall spring

“Dragonmare at border.” Lucius’ voice rouses Mesec from a small nap and in the haze of waking, he wasn’t quite sure who the zephyr was talking about. Mirage? Or Isopia, with her pair of royal dragons? It took another few moments for him to realize it was Amaris and then he was shifting from his spot in the shadows and making his way to the border. Surely someone on a patrol would move to greet her first, but he was curious about what brought her here - was she going to join the Edge again? And how was her dragon companion doing?

Someone else was already there when he finally spotted Amaris by the gate among the spikes but at first that did not deter Mesec. It was only when he had already drawn close that he remembered that Tandavi and Amaris were friends - that he remembered how he had met them both here, in the Edge, when they were all very much younger. He was about ten feet away when he realized he could be interrupting an important reunion for them both. It had been a while since he had seen Amaris - since her dragon hatching - and longer since he had seen Tandavi but he was just an acquaintance to them both, wasn’t he?

What right did he have to come barging in?

He considered, for a moment, teleporting away and leaving them alone. But he’s too close now - surely they would have seen him already. Lyra was acting shy as well, not performing her usual antics and bridging any gaps. She was eyeing Natraj with an intense curiosity - it wasn’t often she came across one of her own. While she clamoured up Mesec’s neck in an attempt to get a better look, Mesec finally found his voice when there was a moment of silence between their conversation. “I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to interrupt.” The words feel lame on his tongue and he felt like that gangly little colt again, coming to the Edge to find a flower. His silver eyes shift from Tandavi before focusing on Amaris with a small, shy smile forming. “I just wanted to say hi.” He finished and awkwardly lingered where he was - entirely unsure of whether he should shift forward or leave it at that and leave.

Surely their reaction would help him figure out which was the best course of action.

image by Blu

<333333
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

Tandavi The Fire Dancer Posts: 245
World's Edge Nurse atk: 6.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Natraj :: Plain Kitsune :: Fire Charks

For a few blissful moments, everything is perfect. The weight of Amaris' embrace is as comforting and familiar as always; the presence of her cousin anchors the girl to earth; the Fire Dancer is more in the dragon mare's presence, her tumultuous mind growing steadier, her wild array of embers glowing brighter. Natraj grins and barks as he leaps between the girls' backs, older yet far less stately than Dramyrth, his small body wiggling with excitement as he attempts to tackle the much larger dragon, his actions a vulpine communication of I am your big brother, show me what you've got. He's a fool, but his sister smiles, warmth flowing between them in a golden spool. For her own part, she is content to let her body meld against Amaris', her scent and skin seeking as much of the beloved kin as possible. She relishes this moment of calm, this perfect tranquility when she knows where she belongs.

She clings to it, because she knows it cannot possibly last.

The weight of Dramyrth settles on her back. His deep purr settles the girl, keeping her from retreating back into the insecurity of herself as Amaris begins to speak. Fire Dancer watches through careful black eyes, taking in her cousin's story in silence, processing it all as best she can. At the mention of the dragon's illness embers rise from the girl's back, encircling the gold as though seeking any further sign of injury, darting around and under wings as a reflection of the girl's worry. Natraj, for his part, whines and presses himself closer to Amaris, licking the scales around her wings in comfort.

Neither speaks, both unsure what to say. Amaris' story is fantastic, but nowhere outside the scope of what they know to be possible. That time might warp and steal their beloved away... well, they had lost those they loved to forces both more and less sinister than a fluctuation of time. The girl's moon-slashed face is pulled tight into an expression of pain- not for herself, but for her cousin, whose fear and uncertainty is nearly palpable. "I'm sorry, Amaris," the girl breathes.

But before she can say more there is a snap, and the copper child's head spins to find its source, even as her body braces to take the tired weight of her cousin. Dark eyes flash with surprising hostility, long tail slashing the air as the girl faces this intruder on their moment, bi-colored ears falling flat on her head. Her body curves, protective, as though to shield Amaris from whatever threat nears-

-Except that the threat is Mesec, the boy she vaguely remembers from a similar meeting as children, and now knows through herd meetings and tangential knowledge to be a Glazier in the Edge. Tandavi relaxes slightly, though she cannot help the bright flare of jealousy that builds within her at the clear recognition he shares with her cousin. From Amaris' back, Natraj snorts loudly - Calm down. Just 'cus you don't have friends doesn't mean 'Maris can't.

Ha ha, very funny.

"Hi," the Fire Dancer echoes flatly, still clearly unimpressed with this intrusion upon her scene. Natraj, having of course noticed the very attractive younger Kitsune in Mesec's presence, rolls his eyes conspiratorially at her, as though to say, Horses, right?

Heedless of this commentary, the Fire Dancer continues. "Amaris - my cousin - just got home. She is very tired. She's going to stay here." With me. Forever. Her black eyes dare his silver ones to challenge her.

She doesn't dare look at Amaris. Rejection would be too much for her tumultuous, trembling heart.

x - x

@Amaris <33

o. pixel pony credit to tamme
o. permission granted to use force and magic on Tavi
o. only tag me in opening posts, please!

amaris
dragonborn
Stories were spoken, presented, given to the listener in the most earnest fashion. Hope was pledged in those words, faith laced throughout, for though she feared rejection, she knew, somewhere within, that her beloved cousin would never turn her away, and that it was kept them coming. Magic surrounded her little king, Natraj pressed himself to her and they both revelled in the loving support their cousins ( 'Raj is brother, Dramyrth corrected ) generously gave. Amaris greedily breathed in the healing sparks and embers from her proximity, letting the small wave of her cousin's healing ability refresh her further.

I'm so sorry, Amaris.

With the words, came a cold dread. A vice-grip of ice seemed to enclose her heart, fear caused tension to stiffen her body again, and for a moment, Amaris was a deer caught in the headlights of its doom, stunned and shocked, staring its greatest fear in the face and unable to fathom just how to survive it. What could Tandavi have to be sorry for, if not her decision perhaps to turn her away, reject her, scorn her, hate her forevermore? The dragonmare blinked and lifted her head not long after laying it down, her motions stiff and jarred, scared. The copper belle, her beloved cousin, makes to speak further, but they are interrupted-

I'm so sorry, ( why is everyone sorry?! ) I didn't mean to interrupt. The dragonmare's keen golden gaze finds the silver-lined features of Mesec, and though she is still encased in fear, the icy grip on her heart thaws as her cousin reacts so vehemently, so passionately. Amaris watches as copper and gold ears drop beneath a sea of tresses, as her haughty gaze shoots daggers at the Nightwind, as her posture leans further into Amaris. Hope blossoms again, defiant against the cold fear, perhaps I misinterpreted before. And this proves to be true, as her cousin very determinedly declares that she is staying here, not to be turned away, not to be scorned or rejected - hope shatters the icy fist that had enclosed her, spreading warmth and love and relief throughout her being, so much so that she began to purr in that curiously draconic way only she could.

"Oh -" she said, softly expressing surprise, though it was with a gentle playfulness as she leaned to her cousin's ear, lipped at the furry edges and whispered, "I'm only staying if it's forever, with you." The dragonmare blew a warm breath then, before returning her attention to the tribrid steed. "Hello Mesec," she sings warmly, happily, from her cousin's side, the smile upon her face very real as she cannot help but recall the childhood memory of a situation so similar to this, with the three of them, near the border of the Edge, searching for a midnight flower. ( Idly, Amaris wonders whether that tree is still standing, if they could find it again, relive it - maybe pick another flower? ) "Please," she intoned, "who is the authority in the Edge now? I would love nothing more than to be of use in my new-" ( but original ) "-home. What ranks are the thinnest? How can I be of service?"

Already she felt her energy return as the situation became decided sanguine, as the rightness of everything made her feel more secure, confident and happy than she had been in forever. "It's wonderful to see you," she added, only just realising that she did consider the moonlit lad a friend - it had only been a few months since she last saw him, for her anyway, but the years had done him well. He was a stallion grown well into himself, ( - was he always that tall? - ), but kindness still softened his features, ( - was he always so buff? - ), and he had another companion no less ( Dramyrth trilled cautiously in greeting, reserving judgement - he vaguely recalled the steed from his hatch-day, though not as vividly as the other dark one who attended, for he had with him other dragons, and dragons were always wont to be distracted by others of their kind ). She was excited to see him again, to learn all that he had been up to - he, and her cousin, and her home, her family.

Home, she hummed happily to herself, purring all the while as her companion lazily curled up on Tandavi's rump, his tail flopped over her flank and twitching occasionally, watching the proceedings with a royal dignity only a little king could muster.

ILU GUYS <3 You give me all the Amaris muse!
@Mesec @Tandavi
She would like the Philosopher rank for now please, if someone could pretty please get her rank updated? Thank youuuuuu
and fire within me
I like being tagged!

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah
a light from the shadows shall spring

Well, if Mesec had been slightly unsure about whether he was interrupting anything - Tandavi’s reaction made it pretty clear. He took a small step backwards but was otherwise frozen with indecision on whether or not to go - his silver gaze flickering to Amaris, the golden dragon, even Natraj to see whether they all seemed to think the same of his intrusion as Tandavi did.

Lyra, clinging to Mesec’s neck as she tried to peer at Natraj, squeaked in delight when the older kitsune looked her way. The delight and shock caused her to forget to cling on properly and she tumbled neatly off of her bonded  to land in a mess of tails by his hooves. Mesec, though wary about taking his eyes of Tandavi, checked on her by lowering his head and discovered that she was unharmed (she took a lot of tumbles). She scurried behind his legs, peering out all the more curiously now that she was on Natraj’s level.

Tandavi continued to speak and her words felt a little pointed, which only caused Mesec to feel utterly confused. Had he been a complete idiot the last time the three of them were together?? or maybe the words were just pointed for anyone that wasn’t Amaris. A soft “Okay…” was the only eloquent word he could get out in response to her statements. He didn’t intend on challenging Tandavi and was relieved when Amaris stepped in a moment later, with an actual smile and a warm greeting. He began to relax then, a cautious smile returning to his features.

It seemed his presence wasn’t totally unwanted, which was always a plus for the moonlit stallion. Amaris seemed to be doing well - she practically shone with warmth and happiness and it was contagious. “It’s wonderful to see you too.” He responded sincerely, his silver eyes shining with a bright grin then before he responded to her questions as best as he could. “Tembovu and Alysanne are the leads right now. I don’t really know what ranks are the thinnest… the warriors, probably.” Between everything that had been happening lately, Mesec had certainly not been proving himself to be a very active or involved member of the Edge. “But uh, I’m one of the glazier’s so…” Saying she was accepted didn’t seem right - as Tandavi looked like she was going to set him on fire if he suggested there was even a chance that she wouldn’t be. “Welcome back.” And then his grin grew bright once more, shrugging out of the uncertainty and awkwardness and just enjoying the actual joy of the moment - of being able to welcome a friend into the Edge.

image by Blu

@Tandavi :D :D
I'll post for Amaris' rank update now!
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times