the Rift

[OPEN] outriders [patrol]

Sacre Posts: 274
World's Edge Emissary atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 5 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Inari :: Red Fox :: Heal & Ríona :: Common Kitsune :: Electric imi
Patrol thread w/ @Kiuaji & open to all to crash :D <3

Sacre didn't mind at all to be out on patrol, in fact, he had stepped out of the Worlds Edge with an eagerness in his step and a joyous lift in his heart. The healer had been consciously trying to stay in his home longer than he usually would, remembering his duty as Doctor, he should not always be out like he normally would be, but the sudden prospect of going out into the Wilds on an assigned mission lifted his spirits considerably. He enjoyed travelling, the different scents and sights of the untamed land, the unpredictability of each day as he traversed across meadow and woodland, skirting the Hidden Falls and the Threshold before heading further north into the crimson touched mountains. 

The water crashes over rocks, falling into enticing ruby pools that Sacre blatantly ignores when he reaches them, remembering the strange, alluring pull they had the last time he was here. For some reason drowning wasn't all that appealing and it was the kind of stupid death that might happen to one such foolish fox-boy. Luckily, Sacre was well aware of his own idiocies if not through past experience then at least through the constant reminder by his foxes, who took great care in admonishing him in the areas he was... Lacking. The two troublesome pair in question were out ahead of the healer, hunting in the trees that grew ominously, their merlot leaves sitting so close to each other that the light from the sky above was dimmed out.

The Blood Falls wasn't near to the top on Sacre's most favourite places to visit, unlike the Endless Blue or perhaps even the Heavenly Fields that were amongst his treasured, this furiously blushing land always put him on edge. Maybe it was because the last time he was here he had the worst stomach ache any horse could possibly ever have had, all from eating a single piece of candy, given to him by some shadow demon who must have thought it a hilarious idea. Sacre grimaced at the memory. 

Contemptuously casting the memory aside, the healer went about looking for his patrol parter, Kiuaji. Sacre didn't know a lot about him, as often was the case in a herd as large as the Worlds Edge, that seemed to get larger by the day. The healer was heartily glad there were three Doctors to watch over the family, feeling certain that it would be probably too much work for only two and definitely for one. "Kiuaji?" he called into the bloody world that surrounded him before continuing on his patrol, looking for things of suspicious nature and curiosities to report back to the General. 

He made his way around another cluster of trees, up a steeper banking until he came to a halt by a crashing waterfall, and he watched it, fascinated, by the power that drove it over the mountain side.
I match them with my euphoria
When they said, "je suis plus folle que toi"

ellipsiem

There's something wretched about this
Something so precious about this

❚ Force permitted!
❚ Please tag me!

Wessex Posts: 149
Aurora Basin Haruspex atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 7.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 3 HP: 68 | Buff: NOVICE
Astor

I AM IRON AND I FORGE MYSELF

She’s been standing by the cool waterfall for awhile, simultaneously enjoying the mists from the tumultuous water and pondering what the hell could make the water appear as red as blood. Well, clearly it wasn’t the liquid itself, as the waterfall was clear - white with all the rushing and tumbling and sheer volume of it all. No, it was the pool that was red - and yet, after she had taken a decent amount of time to determine that the water was indeed safe to drink, she still wondered why all the leaves were crimson, too!

Even in the strangest of places, nature still acted like nature. Leaves change colors in the fall. They do not… stay red all year long.

So there Wessex is, horns and lion tail and all, just standing by the pool’s edge and looking down at it with a slightly tilted head. The roar of the falls covers the sound of Sacre’s approach, and it isn’t until she sees movement out of the edge of her eye that Wessex realizes how vulnerable she is at that moment. It startles her. And then she swears - though it is more at herself than at the strange stallion. “Goddamn it!” The horned woman tries to follow it up with a weak smile, but it’s hard when there’s no reason to do so - smile, that is. Her tail swipes back and forth, not so much in agitation, but just out of pure awkwardness, because now the stoic soldier is slightly embarrassed. “Ah, not you. I was startled.” A pause. “My bad.”

Eager to move on, Wessex just kind of ploughs through, and continues with, “Do you know what’s on the bottom of the pool that makes the water look red?”

W E S S E X

image credit

@Sacre
-crashes!-
-- please tag in all posts! --
-- magic and force allowed, no death or permanent damage --

In all honesty, Sacre hadn't even seen her. Which wasn't a great surprise between the wild noise of the waterfall and his wondering, frivolous mind that wasn't really focussing—as often was the case when he was left unsupervised for too long. The thundering sound of water filled his ears until a spoken curse made its way through natures din and Sacre stood there a few seconds, processing it, before suddenly shying backwards, stumbling on some loose rocks as he did so whilst his heart fell over itself in shock before, finally, he noticed her. The crowned mare who had been there all along. He took a moment to catch his breath, round blue eyes staring at her with surprise before slowly they softened and lines of mirth appeared. The fox-boy began to laugh at the rather awkward moment until he decided it might be a good idea to clutch at whatever dignity he had left and move swiftly onwards. "Me too, I didn't even know you were there" he admitted with a wonky grin to try smooth over the embarrassment he too felt. Some patroller he was. Perhaps he had completely walked past Kiuaji already.

Yet, the mare seemed to be already one step ahead of him, swiftly changing the conversation and the odd moment passed for now, leaving the healer slightly bewildered, but he happily took the opportunity to smother the moment. "I don't know, though I'm not sure I want to know" he shuddered, glancing down at the pool as it glittered so invitingly, as if it wanted him to fall in "yet, sometimes... I have an urge to jump in" he said it out loud, but it sounded like he was pondering over it to himself. Perhaps this is what a magpie felt when faced with a pile of shiny things. "A strange place" he grimaced, showing his clear distaste for the land.

He regarded the girl then, mottled in monochrome with her array of white horns touched in red and what looked to be some kind of dragon curling up her leg, he looked at it for a moment with piqued interest. "Why?" he asked, suddenly, glancing up at her face with a hint of mischief "were you thinking of jumping in and finding out?" glancing between the pool and the girl, he curled his lips into an amused daring line as his eyes glittered playfully. 

ellipsiem

@Wessex -hugs- <3

❚ Force permitted!
❚ Please tag me!

Astor

Well, at least her fellow pool-visitor is startled too. It makes her feel less like an idiot and more like just someone who’s been caught unawares. They both grin rather awkwardly at each other, and Wessex steals that time to examine the stallion who stands across the water from her: dual colored in red and black, he has a formidable looking horn, but nothing else about him seems particularly threatening. He doesn’t seem like the type to try and distract her while someone sneaks up on her from behind. Not with that genuine reaction.

Ears swivel towards him trying to cut out the din of the waterfall. Wessex can faintly make out his words over the roaring crash of water into water; the froth and bubbles that spew from the collision trail out into the open pool, dissipating into the crimson depths. He talks about an urge to jump in, causing her brow to furrow and lizard eyes to jump back to him. How did he know the feeling that was itching in her legs at that very moment. “Very strange,” she agrees, projecting her voice over to the other side. A broad chest is good for something at least.  

Her horned head shakes, and with a tilt to the right, indicates a spot further down. “It’s kinda loud over here,” Wessex yells again, “Want to move down a bit?” The Basin Corporal moves until the waterfall is just a dull sound in the background and the ruby-red surface is still and unmarred. The bottom can be seen, but only barely - still, the day is hot and the water is cool - a wicked little mischievous smile creeps across her features, made even more so by the horn on her nose. “I’m curious to find out. Jump in with me?”

Her own yellow-orange eyes twinkle playfully back at him. She’d grown up at the edge of the sea - swimming was an integral part of her childhood. What could possibly be scary in this current-less pool?

W E S S E X

image credit

@Sacre

The sound of a thunderous roar of a cascading waterfall wasn't exactly the best background ambience for a conversation, not that Sacre had noticed, preferring to shout across to his new mottled visitor without a thought for how it might look or sound. If she could actually hear him, that is. His overall nosiness often outmatched his common sense in most situations—he tended to blurt out whatever he thought first before thinking about it later. In this instance, he was saved by what might be the excellence of this strange girls dark ears. It takes her suggestion of moving further down to prompt Sacre to think about what he was doing and he glanced at her apologetically, before nodding his head, moving further down the river until the crashing noise wasn't so loud and conversation was made rather easier. Until, that is, she suggested they jumped together.

He looked at her with dismay until his gaze narrowed and dropped to the pool near his cloven feet. Why not? Or at least, thats what he felt the red shimmers saying to him. That and he hardly knew the mare, maybe she knew something he didn't about the pool, but he'd started the conversation about jumping in so perhaps it was his own fault that this was the predicament he was now faced with. "Why not" he said bravely, or idiotically, the two often went hand in hand. Apart from the oddly compelling red objects below, there wasn't anything really that scary about the pool, it wasn't like he was going diving—not voluntarily anyway. Yet, he didn't jump in straight away, instead watching the mare closely to see if she really would too.

"Are you a good swimmer?" he asked, feeling like he wasn't really all that great himself. He had never really had a reason to do much swimming, though he had now and then in the Throat when the sweltering heat had gotten too much for him. He then walked closer to the edge, his blue eyes held a hint of a challenge in them, but he didn't really know why, the red beneath the surface probably wasn't anything, and perhaps they would just swim around and it would be silly. The poor girl might think she had run into Helovia's resident lunatic, challenging random horses who crossed his path to jump in

He raised one cloven hoof, regardless, and dipped it into the pool.

"After three?" he suggested.

ellipsiem

@Wessex

❚ Force permitted!
❚ Please tag me!

Astor

Why not, indeed.

Truth be told, if Wessex didn’t have some teeny tiny part of her whispering ‘be careful…’ and ‘maaaaybe you shouldn’t do that,’ she wouldn’t have requested a perfect stranger jump into an unknown pool with her. The mottled mare is a big girl - she can go swimming all by herself. Gut and Instinct, however, were things her mother said to pay attention to - that, and detail. And the details tell her that there are no fish swimming in this pool. That tells her the water is either poisonous in some way, or there miiiiiight be a thing down there. A thing that eats fish. A thing that eats ducks and beavers and potentially horses.

So if they’re going to be idiots, they’re going to be idiots together. And nothing builds comradery like facing potential danger and either laughing about their foolishness or living to tell the tale.

“Excellent,” she replies, putting on a fearless face, full of macho bravado and soldierly buffness. The sort that an army bro might have, or someone who thinks they have a great deal to prove, when really it’s all about the insecurities in their head. “Yes, I grew up in a kingdom by the sea…” She pauses and fixes him with a half-puzzled expression. Surely the unicorn wouldn’t agree to this if he needed leg floaties and a bunch of brightly colored noodles… right? RIGHT? She has to ask. ”You can swim too, right?”

Let’s not ruin all the fun with having to fish out a drowning horse.

Her previous question, however, is overlapped with his of when to jump, so Wessex assumes that’s a yes, the guy can swim. Her head bobs up and down decisively, a wicked little grin stretching across her features, kohl-rimmed eyes delighting in the challenge. “Aye - One.” She lifts a hoof. ”Two. Her eyes dart down to the pool, to make sure she won’t land on any sharp, pointy bits. “Three!” She yels, and heaves her body in the red depths, hoping that Sacre jumped in too, and she isn’t left looking like an utter fool.

W E S S E X

image credit

@Sacre