the Rift

[OPEN] To The Mountains [Joining]

Cassius Posts: 46
Aurora Basin Haurspex atk: 3.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.0h :: 4 [Birdsong] HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
mar

»› C A S S I U S ‹«

The stallion nods cordially when given her appreciation. He supposes that’s one thing an apostle can do; share information. It isn’t something the man covets. Nay, he covets very little and doesn’t see much worth in the material things these days.

As for Glasgow’s experiences with the gods, Cass offers a more noticeable smile. “That’s more than likely. I almost forgot it was the Gods who gave out magic in the first place…” His brows knit together. Uncertain if he’s already asked this question. “In this world, the Gods are the source of Helovia’s magic aren’t they?”

He gives a brief pause, filled with his musings. “I wonder if it’s possible to disconnect a god from their magic. Make them sick… in a way. Or weak.” He’d have to look back into history if such a thing occurred. And he already knew so little. The stallion shrugs. “That would be hard to find out or test in any case. I can't imagine any of them would be very happy about that.” He laughs briefly, and ducks his head in a playful gesture. Gazing up at the sky for safe measure.

The bit about the Rift Gods is enough to keep Cassius’ curiosity aglow. He knows very little of the logic behind magic. Despite having lived in a world that praised those who possessed the arts.

“Interesting... I wonder if there’s more behind the illnesses. What they were like, how they were obtained. From my experiences, disease has a nasty tendency of hopping from one person to another. But if you contain it…” His voice trails off. Before picking up momentarily. “Fewer deaths I suppose.”

With a quiet hum he led them out from the Heavenly Fields. Back to the ice kingdom, to his new home – where strangers of all shapes and sizes resided. Perhaps he wasn’t putting himself out there enough?

Or perhaps the prospect of quiet, and calm, appealed to him. With a warm and melodious hum, he recalled old and weathered songs that filled the steady silence.
--

The ground progressively became harder, the air cooler. Sooner than he expected, Cassius stopped between the Sentinels that marked the Basin’s entrance.

“Well, here we are.”

He offered a brief smile. “I’m not at liberty to officially invite herd members, but I highly doubt they’d cast you aside.” Warm, honeyed eyes shifted back into the herd. And not long after that he cast his voice in a call – hoping to gain the attentions of someone important. Or qualified, for that matter…

It wasn’t as if Glasgow screamed highly suspicious and ill fitted for herd life. She wanted change, a new start perhaps – and Cass could respect that. But the thoughts of the Basin’s most recent death prevent the stallion from smiling at that moment. He glances back to the mare, with a slightly strained expression. Ears twitching.

“Uhm… I didn’t want to tell you this earlier. I wasn’t sure if I should. But now…,” he would feel stupid and selfish for not telling her. So it was now or never.

“Lord Deimos passed away late Frostfall… He was mourned by many.” It’s strange to be speaking about a person he hardly knew. Knowing that he’d meant so much to those who resided in the Basin. He felt inherently detached from it all, besides having experienced death himself. It was hard to tell how the mare might take it, death never made sense – even when it was expected.

@Glasgow  <3 :: eck, excuse my horrible post >< Any high ranking Basin tiers would be greath!! thanks!! XO

Glasgow Posts: 127
Aurora Basin Apprentice atk: 3.5 | def: 10.0 | dam: 7.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3hh :: 11 years HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Skylark

The conversation was a nice turn of events for someone that had gone so long without any positive interaction. Even when the conversation shifted into touchier subjects, Glasgow was soon learning that she didn’t mind sharing the information with Cassius – at least he might do something with it that would be useful. She hoped that he might be able to delve into it further with the resources he had at hand to figure out a more philosophical reasoning behind it. Even if he didn’t, it was worth a shot. So she walked along with him, a slight smile on her blood red and scarred lips, and her ears tilted and aimed at him.

She didn’t have much to add to his musings, just a nod here and there with a small “yes” or “I’m not sure” depending on what he asked and what the answer was that was needed. She didn’t know if containing an illness would prevent deaths in any other instance – but she was under the impression that nobody had died from the illnesses accrued, just suffered until a cure was available.

Soon enough, however, the ground gave way to the familiar arch of the mountains. The sentinels in their decaying glory stood tall over the land, watchful despite its once capabilities of destruction. She waited then, with that same small smile growing slightly at the idea that she would be welcome here. But then, when she got ready to turn her glassy gaze upon Cassius to thank him for bringing her here and being so wonderful with the light conversation, his ears twitched with a strange expression crossing his face. Immediately her brows furrowed together – unsure of what kind of news the stallion might have to offer.

But then it hit her, as the words left his lips that Deimos had passed. Her expression grew blank and her smile faded slightly as she turned her head out over the tundra that would hopefully soon be her new home. “What a shame. I would’ve liked to think we could have been friends.” She admitted to him, offering him a small sad smile. And while Glasgow was in such need of friends, she wasn’t even sure if it would be reciprocated. Even if Deimos wasn’t around anymore, there was always the friendly healer by the name of Lena – as well as the Greenhouse she constructed under the Reaper’s watchful gaze. “Such is the story of life, though.” She added in, glancing over to Cassius with a thankful expression, glad he had told her before she made a fool of herself asking of the King and opening up fresh wounds. “Thank you for bringing me here.

Art by Neverrmind @ DA

@Cassius you're totally fine, ty :D and it's open! @Lena maybe if you have time? ITS HAPPENING.

Lena the Songbird Posts: 663
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 4 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Imogen :: Common Kitsune :: Fire Heather

The press of Tallsun was hardly noted; it touched over the chilling vapors of the Basin like a beatific cloud, allowing warmth but bowing to the indulgence of the mountains before becoming too overwhelming. It coiled against Lena’s ears and nourished her soul, kissed her figure with the invocations of the sun, and they danced beneath the legions of the heavens in soft, radiant arias, scouring the earth for herbs to fill the greenhouse and its glassy exterior, roaming the waves of greenery for a chance to explore, refining the art of their grace to forgo, to forget, the merciless divisions hovering beyond their boundaries. Kaos was outside for now, hovering in the Marsh, and not in here, where the summits beamed at the first crisp sign of summer, where the glimpses of the heavens touched over their entities, where the Reaper was nestled between his favored haunts; some portions of the world were still right, still real, still whole. Her eyes searched along the glorious halls and inner pathways, for ghosts, for thieves, for signs of something more reaching for them, Imogen chirped and the caverns echoed, but the silence thereafter wasn’t ominous, wasn’t pressing, and they glided away, down towards the sentinels.

Two figures were nestled and tucked beneath the shadow of the guardians, and for a moment, Lena recalled the days where the marks of the unknown would’ve been threatening and treacherous, demanding, cold, harsh, pockets of unrelenting forces seeking to destroy them from the inside out. Were those moments truly gone? Her heart didn’t pound the way it once did, chained and tethered to apprehension (and maybe it should’ve been, because she’d been snagged, caught, and tarnished in so many anarchies; but rose above them, broken but triumphant), and as her eyes searched over the forms, she found one distinct and familiar (the other a piece of the background; seen in meetings and gatherings, but foreign and unknown to her, a situation needing to be rectified). The scarred girl, their crafter of the greenhouse, held her foremost attention, however.

“Glasgow!” She shouted, distinct and sublime, portions and pieces of satin, of harmony, of serenity bestowed in noble regard, wandering closer and closer on light strides and potent airs. Her smile was intrepid and warm, tender, an embrace of fondness and tranquility for the Edge glazier, bobbing her head in delight when she finally reached their figures. “How are you? Have you come to tend to your greenhouse?” Here she smiled and laughed, winked, brandishing her clear amiability and cordiality, shifting slightly to address the argent stallion. “Hello! I’m Lena. I don’t believe I’ve had the chance to make your acquaintance.” Yes, she thought, kind and generous, some things were still whole.

Lena
where there is love, there is life.

image by safetylast @ flickr.com

@Cassius @Glasgow

Weaver Posts: 149
Aurora Basin Corporal atk: 8.0 | def: 10.0 | dam: 3.0
Mare :: Hybrid :: 15.1 :: 3 years HP: 61 | Buff: Novice
Raven :: Australian Raven :: Terrorize Kyra
She’s out patrolling, which largely feels more like wandering today. It’s been quiet as of late, but she’s trying to learn to have a keen eye. She looks for the backstabbers and treacheries, not predators and immediate dangers. The hybrid mare had never had a reason to worry about immediate death. It wasn’t a problem that she had to worry about. So in her travels, she learned to look for the things that wouldn’t kill her but that ruin her life in other ways. It was not, as she was quickly learning, the things a solider needed to look for. Because the horses she was protecting could die, and those things were important to them.

A shout catches her attention. She’s not quite near enough to the guardians to see anyone, keeping herself firmly on the ground here. If only they knew she was a much better scout from the air…ah, but the wings still drew so many funny looks in this place. But she follows the sound. Nothing seems wrong, but it’s job to keep an eye on these things anyway apparently. Soon enough she can see three forms near the metal sentinels, and she makes her way over.

They all seem friendly enough, the Mender familiar with the mare that Weaver does not recognize. “Hello,” she says simply, coming to stand near enough to the group. It’s not really her party, and she’s not here to interrupt, just make sure all is well, and in truth, meet a few more horses. There are still too many here she does not know, and certainly too many in Helovia. “Weaver,” she offers, and then nothing more, letting them go on with their conversation.

- weaver -

Hi, I'm sorry, I can't help but hog Glas with all my characters. If I'm being slow feel free to skip her in posting order.
@Cassius @Glasgow @Lena

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by AmoretteRose

mar

CASSIUS❃

Cass enjoys the rambling more than he realizes it. To have willing ears and a living, breathing companion to absorb or deflect the curiosities of the world. It is a freedom he hasn’t quite delved into, and when he does he’s submerged by all the possibilities that are available to him.

As for the momentary pause in their journey, the end that threatens to crash his sublime happiness, he awaits to witness the damage he’s pressed into the air. To the loss of her quiet, blood tinged smile, and the dull glaze that covers over her eyes. He feels responsible, despite the logic that dictates otherwise. He is blameless, but the feelings he recalls are threaded through the past that bears similar reactions.

There is no gnashing of teeth, or cries that shake the still air. He offers a small smile in return, as her words dance ahead of them. Nodding in agreement, when she speaks of the world. The stallion is more relieved, and dissipates the mild punctuation of emotional stress into the long breath he exhales from his nose.

It’s his turn to advert his eyes. The warmth of them evading her gaze as he looks out into ‘home’, “It was my pleasure. I hope you find what you’re looking for.” He hopes he does too, and glances back at her milky eyes with a more assured grin.

A shout steers his focus to the elegant, ambling form of their Healer. She is a stranger still, but Cassius expects every one of them to be as strangers. He has been idle in his attempts to know his… family? In any case, he makes room for the jubilant voice that makes to embrace Glasgow. He grins when she laughs, encouraged to take part in the light mood.

“Cassius, Cass for short. Resident Disciple. I’ve been tasked to bring the most talented of Glaziers to our borders. Seeking a place to stay.” He glances down to her companion. A charming fox of many tails, “And greetings to you, fair companion.”

He’s comfortable enough to offer a warm, harmonious laugh between the two mares.

Another accompanies them, a stranger adorned by horns and painted between two stark shades of black and white. While he’s spotted the warm, mahogany mare about the grounds, Cassius is hard pressed to recall the figure from any greetings. Perhaps he just wasn’t paying as much attention as he should.

The gray dips his head in greetings. “Cassius… Are you new to the Basin Weaver?”

He decides he’ll stay for as long as it’s polite. Then perhaps he will leave the long acquainted friends to their reunion.
Image Credits

@Glasgow

Glasgow Posts: 127
Aurora Basin Apprentice atk: 3.5 | def: 10.0 | dam: 7.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3hh :: 11 years HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Skylark

I hope you find what you’re looking for.” The sentiment was sweet, and deep down Glasgow really hoped she found something too. She didn’t know what it was, just yet, but perhaps something along the lines of acceptance and being able to show her face out in public. It wasn’t like she couldn’t do it in the Edge, but she chose not to. The Basin might be the only place she could think of where she’d be comfortable doing such an act – and so, she dipped her head to Cassius with another small smile as he offered her a grin, as if to say “Me too.

But then, before too long, a familiar figure began to approach past the stout Sentinels that stood watch over the icy tundra. Her smile turned into a wider grin as the bay mare hurriedly approached, and the amount of happiness she saw in Lena began to swell within her as well. It was a greeting unlike what she was used to, and it blossomed warmth into her old bones and morose heart. “Have you come to tend to your greenhouse?” Glasgow joined Lena in her laugh at the idea before shaking her head slightly. “Actually, Cassius was kind enough to bring me here so I could ask if I could join the Basin?” It was spoken in a way that made it sound like a question, though hopefulness tinted the edges of her words.

Then, another creature appeared. One adorned with wings and unique patterns along her coat. Offering the mare a small smile and a dip of her scarred head, she cleared her throat to reply. “Glasgow. It’s a pleasure to meet you Weaver.” She noted, just after Cassius introduced himself. Then, when the conversation ended up swinging back her way, her gaze sought Lena’s with a slight twinkle of excitement at a new adventure. “As you know, I have experience with crafting. I’d be happy to take it up here if you're in need of more.” She offered before shyly glancing over at Cassius and lowering her head slightly from the nervousness that centered itself in her stomach.

”Talk.”

Art by Neverrmind @ DA

Not great, I apologize :| @Lena <3 @Weaver I LOVE ALL UR CHARACTERS SO IM TOTES OKAY WITH THIS <3

Lena the Songbird Posts: 663
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 4 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Imogen :: Common Kitsune :: Fire Heather

She might’ve guessed more changes were in the air – should’ve sensed, should’ve known, but her head had been cluttered with the clouds, with the swirl of seasons, with death and rebirth. This one, however, is an embodiment of delight and merriment; a slight of hand that went with mercy and liberation, that went with kindness and amiability, not a wall closing but a door opening, and the Mender’s smile couldn’t have gotten any broader, wild and carefree and glorious to behold. “How wonderful!” It was wonderful, she wouldn’t have lied, not when her heart felt so light and incandescent, eager to allow another friend into the whirl of mists, caverns, and mountains. Imogen chirped too, once to Cassius, and another entirely materialized from Lena’s effective joy, bounding between Songbird and sonnets, and the nymph herself swung her features from one individual to the next, happy, harmonious, buoyant. “Thank you for bringing her here, Cassius,” winking, indulgent, maneuvering past all the boundaries of silence and stillness, a restless hymn tucked between her lips, extended through rhapsody, song, and arias. She even nodded towards the incoming Weaver, grin still poised, still elegant, still enduring despite being faced with the unknown, and then waltzing off to the side, as if extending her welcome into the wide-open meadows, into the earnest valleys, into the slide of ice, of snow, of summer evenings and dazzling hues.

She nearly asked her what prompted the occasion – because the Glazier had always been associated with the Edge and its fog, its mysteries, its enigmas, had come from its borders to create for them - and her curiosities were unsettled, building, brewing, colliding. But the fey didn’t chase them down, didn’t whittle, weave, or trace their outlines, allowing them to cool, to dissipate, as rapidly as the altering weather, forgoing intrigue for warmth and melody. “Of course!” The acceptance, the invitation, was hastened and brought forth without question; the other femme had already done so much for them, had already granted them their wishes, their laurels, their diamonds in the rough. She laughed again, content with Glasgow’s knowledge of crafting – after all, she’d constructed a greenhouse for them, and her talents were noteworthy, encased in shiny veneer, in amazing aplomb. “I’m sure our crafters would be happy to have you.”

Lena
where there is love, there is life.

image by safetylast @ flickr.com

@Cassius @Glasgow @Weaver

Weaver Posts: 149
Aurora Basin Corporal atk: 8.0 | def: 10.0 | dam: 3.0
Mare :: Hybrid :: 15.1 :: 3 years HP: 61 | Buff: Novice
Raven :: Australian Raven :: Terrorize Kyra
There’s a lot of smiling and hugging and feeling happening here. It’s definitely not Weaver’s party. At all the sounds, Raven has moved to the edge of Weaver’s back, peeking out around her neck to see just exactly what’s going on. His attention drifts to the kitsune, curious about this fox with too many tails. Raven has spent a lot of time investigating from afar, but she can feel curiosity starting to win out in his veins. He’s young, fearful of straying too far from the safety of her back, but he’s growing bolder, getting closer to spending some actual time on his own.

A thought that both pleases her and makes her just a little bit panicky. She lost him once, but then again, once he was a creation of her mother’s magic. Now he was fully and totally hers, a piece of her soul that lived outside her body. She could not lose him again. But still, he needed to grow up, needed to scavenge on his own, needed to scout for her. He was far more useful when he served as her eyes. One day. Sooner than she might expect.

She tunes out Raven’s curiosity and back in to the conversation at hand in time to catch the stallion’s introduction. “New enough,” she says, because it’s true. They wouldn’t have had cause to meet other than the Time God’s summons, and who the hell was paying attention to anything other than the Time God and the new monarchs. She thinks he was probably there, but she wasn’t paying much mind to anyone other than her newfound God.

She listens to the conversation more before turning her attention back to Glasgow, things slowly shifting into place as the conversation progresses. “Did you make the greenhouse here?” she asks the pale, scared mare, trying not to stare at the scars too long. Curiosity will kill her and Raven both. He stares somewhat more openly, but it’s rather hard to tell where exactly those beady black eyes are looking, at least. Truthfully though, she is curious about the buildings around here. Because where she came from, they just didn’t exist. And it was, admittedly, pretty damn cool.

- weaver -

@Cassius @Glasgow @Lena

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by AmoretteRose

mar

CASSIUS❃

Glass’ spirit appears to swell with the hope instilled in the Basin. The stallion doesn’t necessarily realize it, or its gravitating potential; it pulls him nonetheless and allows for his smile to rest comfortably against his face.

A grin is offered to the kitsune. Nodding to Lena when she provides her sweet voice into the foray, a wink – that ushers a brief and rumbling chuckle from the stallion’s lips. Bashful. Though he refrains from saying too much. Preferring instead, to bask in their light and witness the joy that exudes them.

The stallion diverts his gaze just briefly to Wessex. “Same,” he murmurs. Catching the ends of the conversation. The sweep of Glasgow’s eyes, a descending head that follow her words. He feels he should usher her head up, stand proud. “Sounds like a perfect fit,” he offers, encouraging. “I imagine there’s a many projects to put you to work on.” The stallion offers a teasing wink. “Right away, yes?”

A careless, half laugh awakes – the stallion’s audacity making play.

Weaver inquires about the greenhouse. And perhaps it is now, that the stallion may take his leave. Allowing a pause for the mare's response. “Do take the time to rest though Glasgow,” He offers briefly, a small nod given in her direction. “If not from the road, than from my ramblings at least.” He bows his head with an amused and plainly happy smile along his face. “I’ll see you around. Lena, Weaver.” He offers them his eyes, a slight pause, before trotting ahead into the Basin.

Savoring their light heartedness, that nearly brotherly love that he’d missed – and mourned for. Alive now, and sparking precariously within.
Image Credits

@Glasgow