the Rift

[PRIVATE] SN: from the deep sea of clouds

Tiamat the Ocean's Light Posts: 360
Aurora Basin Lady atk: 8 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 :: 6 years HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Nimue :: Common Orca Leviathan :: Boil Reli
Her conversation with Toulouse had been lovely. She had been more than happy to get to know the slender, gilded man more than the brief interaction they had in the Threshold, and had been even happier to discover that he is every bit as pleasant as he is beautiful (her child eyes blissfully oblivious to any ulterior motives or dark secrets). So far this gorgeous evening has turned out to be just as fun and delightful as she had hoped it would be.

Having wandered a little ways to the glassy lake to wet her throat (since she has yet to taste alcohol, and the fermented apples have a decidedly sour aroma to them), Tiamat now makes her way back towards the heart of the gathered crowd. The sun has long-since set, but their little clearing is brilliantly illuminated by lamplight, with the festivities seemingly far from over. Looking over the blur of faces as she passes them, the sea maiden can’t help but smile a little, very much enjoying the sense of community in this event. For these brief moments, any threat of that monster is forgotten, any weight of war is lifted, and they are free to simply enjoy the evening.

Coming to rest at the far edge of what’s left of the bonfire, Tiamat exhales slowly from her nose, shivering once when the warmth from the embers hugs her chest. Allowing her eyes to wander with wordless excitement, she searches for a somewhat-familiar figure. Volterra—the next name paired with her on the list. She hadn’t recognized the name at first; it had seened familiar, but it took several moments for a face to click. With dainty ears erect, she waits for her next suitor to arrive.

notes; Tia will be happy to patch up his booboo's ;D
“Speech.”
the Ocean’s Light
in the dark I will shine to guide you

image credits
@Volterra
please tag Tia in all replies!
magic & force are permitted.

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

He limps from the bushes, slightly bedraggled and sweating but with a distinct glint of satisfaction in his crimson gaze. Ah, that had been delightful! Perhaps sparring his first partner when he had others to meet was not the wisest decision he's ever made, but damn, it was totally worth it. The leviathan's aching, post-battle limbs feel heavy and leaden as he moves back into the centre of the Grove and the gaggle of courting couples, his left shoulder bleeding profusely and leaving a trail of crimson behind him. The alcohol in his system has helped to numb it slightly, but he can still feel the sting of the chilly evening air.

Volterra isn't the sort of man to let that stop him, however. There's a suave smile in place as he approaches his second pairing, the gorgeous Tiamat who he has met in the Threshold but never directly spoken to. She stands out from the crowd with her blue fur and the stallion directs his uneven, hobbling stride towards her.

"Tiamat," he rumbles in greeting, his voice a husky growl as he slows to a halt. He took a quick dip in the lake to wash off the sweat and grime from his spar with Aelfwine, but he is still clearly a man fresh off the battlefield - his muscles still thrum with pent-up energy, and whilst his tiredness is clear to see, it doesn't take the edge off his aura of strength and dominance. "The organisers of this event have truly smiled upon me," he says with a devious, wolfish grin. Pain momentarily flashes across his face as his movements jar his torn shoulder, but he swiftly replaces it with the grin.

IF IT FEELS GOOD, TASTES GOOD, IT MUST BE MINE
HEROES ALWAYS GET REMEMBERED BUT YOU KNOW LEGENDS NEVER DIE
image: chan <3

VAGUEY VAGUE on his injuries and the outcome but he does have a biiiig cut to his left shoulder ;D @Tiamat

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

The draft stallion seems to notice Tiamat before she notices him. Her eyes remain loosely focused on the burning embers, glancing around every now and then, though it is the man’s deep greeting that ultimately brings her gaze to his large figure. He is dark and blends in easily with the night’s shadows, but there is enough light from the moon and lamps to illuminate the bold lines of his features. “Volterra, hello!” The sea maiden smiles brightly, wide enough so that her teeth glisten in what’s left of the bonfire.

The mare takes a step towards him, angling her body to better accommodate their conversation. At his rumbling praise, Tiamat tucks her head in bashfully, long lashes fluttering momentarily over the fine line of her cheeks. While not a vain character, it is still nice to be complemented, and she has no qualms in savoring the good feelings that blossom within her breast. “Looks like you’ve had quite the time this evening,” the Ocean’s Light observes with a twinkle in her eye and a crooked grin skewing the line of her lips. Pointedly her white eyes roam over his disheveled appearance, lingering on the long gash across his shoulder, which continues to leak a steady stream of blood down his leg.

“Does this mean your pairings thus far have been particularly ill-fated? Or more...in your favor?” She can’t help but purse her lips a little bit, completely unable to understand the lure that violence has for some people. It is a vile and needless sport, in her opinion—but with the tragedy of recent events, Tiamat is just beginning to realize that, perhaps, it isn’t completely fruitless to learn how to handle yourself. Still, isn’t this night a festival for harmony among one another? Her naive mind can’t figure out how it would entice a spar.

“Speech.”
the Ocean’s Light

image credits
@Volterra

Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

Looks like you’ve had quite the time this evening. The words incite a deep, amused rumble of laughter. "You could say that. It was dreadfully selfish of me to get myself all war-torn during such an event, but I can assure you that you have my full attention." It would be a lie to say there isn't a part of him still dwelling on his time with Aelfwine, who is certainly a remarkable mare, but that does not mean he can't focus his complete attention on Tiamat too. That is the delightful thing about Volterra's polygamous ways - his attention can switch from one woman to the next, whilst ensuring each feels like they're the most important thing in his life.

Her next words cause another great chuckle to erupt from him, and he offers the blue queen a wink. "The latter, I would say." The twitch of her lips gives him pause, the apples having left his system slightly to ensure his brain is marginally more lucid than it had been during his previous date. "Do I sense disapproval?" His voice is still lighthearted, with no hint of threat held within its tones. Tonight is a jovial one, not suited for deep discussions or arguments. "I would be more than happy to educate you in the ways of battle too, if you wish it." His torn shoulder squeals with protest, but he smothers it swiftly and effectively.

@Tiamat

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]

The blue mare can only shake her head with a small smile, a twinkle in her eye when she glances to the draft stallion to show that while she may not agree with his tactics, she does not fault him for them (he is far from alone, after all). If nothing else, then she is pleased for him to know that his sparring hadn’t stemmed from an ornery woman’s outburst, heated words, or unwanted advances. At least he has been enjoying himself, right? Tiamat purses her lips while she thinks on this, silently amused by these bizarre reasonings.

However, when Volterra redirects their conversation and offers to enlighten her about the strategies of fighting, Tiamat suddenly finds herself stumbling. “Oh—I don’t think so, no, thank you,” the blue Lady nearly blanches, her head lowering and her ears splaying to side in embarrassment, with her entire demeanor bowing inwards as she shrinks away from the thought. “Battle isn’t for me—I’m more for the peaceful route. I don’t understand the allure of violence or...whatever it is about it that makes you feel manly,” she laughs awkwardly, one side of her lips curling up into a humored grin.

“Please, let me help you though,” the sea maiden leans a step forward, her countenance slowly relaxing again as she shakes off the sudden chill of Volterra’s offer. Turning her head to sift through the herbs braided into her hair, she picks out two different herbs and places them gingerly on the ground, making sure they are illuminated by enough firelight.

Glancing up to the stallion, her smile deepens. “Watch and learn—I think you’ll need this more than once in the future,” she chuckles as she motions to the herb on the right, a long stem with leaves and little white flowers on top. “This is yarrow, it helps encourage the clotting of blood, and is a natural antibacterial, meaning it will also fight infection. It’s a hardy little plant, so you’ll be able to find it just about anywhere in Helovia,” using the leaves, she crunches them up before moving on. The second herb is a long stem with leaves as well, but with a single, larger yellow flower on top. “This is arnica, it will reduce inflammation and soothe pain—careful not to ingest it though. Unless you know what you’re doing, it’s only meant to be applied on the skin. This one can only be found in cooler climates, like the Basin or parts of the Edge, or the Frostbreath Steppe. Perhaps your healers can keep a stash of it in a greenhouse?” She gives him a glance with sparkling eyes before she does the same thing she did to the yarrow leaves, crunching them up.

Mixing the two herbs together, she uses her magic to gather some moisture from the surrounding grass, ultimately blending it all together to make a nice, moist salve. Using her muzzle, she reaches forward to spread the ointment on the large gash across Volterra’s shoulder, making sure to cover it entirely, using a gentle touch as she does so. Rubbing the residue off on her foreleg, Tiamat smiles at her handiwork. “There,” she says to the stallion, pleased.

notes; I'm sorry I know I went way over the word limit :3 I just got excited XD
“Speech.”
the Ocean’s Light

image credits
@Volterra

He cannot help a small spike of disappointment as she politely rejects his offer - she, too, is devilishly attractive and he would take great pride in educating her, herd politics be damned - but he keeps such emotions from his face, simply continuing to smile suavely at her. "A lover, not a fighter?" he questions with a suggestive darkening of his intense red eyes. "I understand the allure of battle is not for anybody, but...I encourage you to try it, at least once. There is nothing like the sweet satisfaction of flesh on flesh, the ache of muscles hardened by war, the thrill of victory, of utter dominion over another creature. It is a drug, an addiction. You don't know what you're missing." His voice is passionate, driven by his love of the battlefield. After all, he is a warlord, one of the best to ever grace Helovian soil. He adores his art, and takes pride in it.

She offers to help him, and his filthy mind immediately darts in a particularly southern direction as it ponders all the ways she could...help him. Volterra does not believe in healing battle wounds - as he always says, a fight is a pact, and part of that pact includes carrying all his wounds through to the bitter end, no matter how painful. He quickly realises that her offer to help will involve healing, not the other type of healing that he was hoping for, and he quickly moves to try and prevent it. "Oh, no, it is quite alright - " But she is plucking herbs from her mane and describing them to him, and despite himself he decides to listen. It may come in useful - he might not intend to heal himself, but he may face a scenario where he must heal another. At the moment he would be just as likely to place a stinging nettle on an open wound as he would be to put something that will actually heal it.

Volterra's brain frantically digests the information, knowing that it will be useful to feed back to his healers so they may ensure the herd's stocks are up to date. "You know a lot about this," he rumbles, admiration shining through in the thunderous baritone of his voice. He would hazard a guess that Tiamat is as accomplished with healing as Volterra is at fighting, and whilst he'd always previously scorned the healing arts as pointless and futile, he finds himself realising that it is not as easy as he had once thought.

She moistens her mixture then applies it to the wound. With great effort, the behemoth refuses to flinch even as the application smarts against the thick cut, focusing instead on the fact that she's touching him and that does all kinds of things to his apple-addled brain. "Thank you," comes the response when she's finished, and he turns to admire the salved wound. He might prefer not to accept such treatments normally, but as a one off, it is an interesting experiment. "Are you the Basin's chief healer, then?" They'd met when Hotaru brought her to the ill-fated alliance meeting, but Volterra does not know she has since been promoted to leader.

@Tiamat SAME LMAO

The large stallion comments on her healing knowledge while she works on him, and the blue mare can’t help but quirk her lips in a small smile. “I do,” she confesses simply, humbly—not out of need for greatness or recognition, but of honesty. For many years, especially in the time before she received any healing magic, Tiamat had worked hard gathering information about nature’s raw medicines. She sees no harm in owning up to her efforts, because she is proud of herself, even if she doesn’t flaunt her accomplishments as many are wont to do.

Suppressing a clever grin, she continues. “You don’t know the pure joy of mending someone, of saving their life, of seeing them whole again because of you, because of all of your efforts. It is a feeling unlike any other—a reward of the most selfless and, dare I say, honorable nature. You don’t know what you’re missing,” finally the Ocean’s Light glances up to the draft’s ruby eyes, allowing a playful grin to blossom over her lips now as she echoes his earlier words.

Once the job is done, she nods in acknowledgement of his gratitude, her healer’s heart always happy to lend aid to others. “I used to be a Time Mender, yes,” she responds to his question, her features lilting wistfully for a moment. “I’ve only just been promoted to the Basin’s Lady. There are new responsibilities now that I’m getting used to,” the sea maiden shakes her head with a tinkling of seashells, a breath of laughter breezing easily through her lips. It is an honor she accepts readily, of course, though she’d be a fool to deny the daunting tasks suddenly placed upon her shoulders.

“What about you, Volterra?” She tilts her head while she looks up to him, “If I remember correctly, you were the Throat’s Gladiator. I take it you thrive in your career?”

“Speech.”
the Ocean’s Light

image credits
@Volterra

Her description of her own role is as passionate as his own, and he unleashes a loud, thunderous chuckle. "Touché," is his response, an acknowledgement of their differences and yet their similarities, too. They could not be more different in the arts that they have both chosen, yet their defense of said arts, their utter belief in their abilities...they're more alike than the leviathan could have imagined. He can't see himself ever becoming a healer or truly appreciating its worth, but he feels that he understands it a bit more now.

His ears prick with surprise at the revelation that she is now the Basin's queen. "What of Hotaru, the woman you came to the Throat with?" Volterra is not the sort to judge a book by its cover, but the Valkyrie hadn't seemed too versed in the diplomatic side of things. That's largely what had seemed to rub Aithniel up the wrong way and result in the souring of the alliance talks. "And the Reaper?" His expression darkens at the mention of Deimos; he has never forgiven the man for defeating Confutatis, and had secretly dreamed of one day dethroning him. The Basin has always appealed to him with its frosty, frozen glory, and the goliath is unaware that the Reaper has since died.

"But I believe congratulations are in order." He flashes the Lady a grin, which widens at her question. "Ah, power has found its way to me, too. I am now the Throat's Sultan, promoted by the great Sun God himself." There's a new strength to the way the beast holds himself, a regality in his posture and a spring in his step. A crown suits him - he'd always known it would.

@Tiamat

The Ocean’s Light can’t help the slight wilting of her expression (her ears splaying to the sides, her lips puckering, her brow knitting together) when the draft stallion inquires after the Basin’s former queen. While she hadn’t had the chance to get to know the rosy woman very well herself, she is still very concerned about her disappearance. As far as Tiamat knows, there is nothing good that can pull someone away from their home, or a Lady away from her people, and oftentimes she spares a thought for the fiery woman who had lead them for many seasons.

However, it is mention of the Reaper that draws a truly sorrowful expression from the sea maiden.

She had respected the dark stallion and revered him with all her heart. His death had been too sudden, too soon, and had shaken the blue mare’s fragile heart nearly to pieces. To think of the void he has left in her beloved mountain valley nearly brings tears to her eyes—nearly, thank the heavens. Sucking in a breath, she looks to the Indomitable with a gentle solemnness in her gaze.

“I haven’t seen the Valkyrie in a long while—I think since we traveled to the Throat,” her lips twist briefly into a smirk, attempting a dry sort of humor before she continues. “No one has, unfortunately; we don’t know what happened to her. And Deimos,” the sudden tightness of her throat forces her to pause. She exhales quietly through her nose, swallowing. “Deimos has passed away,” the blue Lady manages to finish, the length of her lion tail lying flat along the grassy ground, curled around her ankles.

Not liking the grief that suddenly weighs on this pleasant evening, Tiamat wills her spirits to lift. “So here I am,” she says lightly, tilting her head with a breathy smile, despite a sorrow that lingers behind the sparkle of her eyes. However, excitement comes too easily when Volterra reveals that he, too, has been promoted to his herd’s leader. “Oh! Congratulations to you as well! You make a fine Sultan,” she laughs merrily, casting him a playful wink.

“Speech.”
the Ocean’s Light

image credits
@Volterra

Tiamat explains that Hotaru has disappeared, and the beast frowns. He will never understand leaders who simply abandon their posts - it seems like a gross betrayal of the trust placed in them by the rest of the herd. Volterra cannot imagine himself just leaving, as it would take a force greater than the earth itself to shift the Indomitable from his position.

She then adds that Deimos has died, and the leviathan's eyebrow lifts with interest. So the Reaper has fallen into the frozen, deathly grasp of his namesake...the irony is not lost on him. "I would say that I am sorry about his passing, but I do not believe in lying." The words slip from him unbidden, and he realises as soon as he's said them how insensitive he must sound. It's obvious from the blue mare's posture that she misses her fallen king, and to have Volterra insult his memory....

The leviathan shifts, unused to apologising but feeling that it is prudent. A night like this, an event like this, is not the time for such controversial opinions. "I apologise, that was insensitive of me. You see, Deimos and my family...have not traditionally seen eye to eye." He does not elaborate further, although thinks he would do if asked. "But it is obvious that his herd loved and respected him, and that is the sign of a good leader, I suppose." The grudging compliment makes Confutatis' face appear before his eyes, her acid-dipping scowl causing her son to suppress a shudder.

At Tiamat's congratulations, the beast breaks into a smile and dips his head in acknowledgement. His innate arrogance means he's also sure he will do a good job, but to hear it from somebody else is surprisingly comforting.

@Tiamat

The Indomitable’s blunt confession rouses a mixture of emotions within the sea maiden’s heart. First there is surprise, because while she would never condone a lie, she would never have expected the truth to sound so…mean. Then there is pain and something akin to indignation. Even if she found out that someone she didn’t particularly get along with died, she wouldn’t…not feel sorry for the loss of a life. There is perhaps only one individual she would rather see gone, and that is the monster god who terrorizes Helovia—surely, Volterra cannot see the Reaper as such a cruel beast?

The blue Lady lowers her head a little, dainty ears turning backwards with her thoughts (truly disturbed by the draft’s admission). However, when Volterra continues, apologizing for his frankness, he unwittingly throws a lifeline out to the Ocean’s Light, who had suddenly found herself overwhelmed in a blackness of grief and worry. “He was a good leader,” she murmurs with more passion than she had intended, a whisper of fondness leaking again into her voice.

Raising her white eyes to meet the gaze of the Indomitable, she wills her features to soften. “Thank you for your honesty,” she says, sincerely—because despite her discomfort, she applauds his integrity and his honor to his word.

Inhaling a deep breath through her nostrils, Tiamat swallows before she goes on, using the short silence to try and pull herself back together. “Would you mind telling me more about the Throat?” She asks, almost shy now, her gaze falling briefly to the shadows that play across the grass. “What is it like? I’ve only been there once before—when I came with Hotaru—and we hadn’t quite made it to the island, so I’m not sure if it counts,” the sea mare chuckles awkwardly, shaking her head and trying not to remember too much about that particular journey.

“Speech.”
the Ocean’s Light

image credits
@Volterra  

His words seem to cause even more pain than he'd expected, and shame burns through him like fire. Volterra is not a good man, and he's not the sort to mince his words when he has an opinion on something, however needlessly hurting a perfectly nice woman is not something to be proud of. It's obvious that Tiamat cared deeply about Deimos, and the beast feels himself grow guiltier and guiltier as he looks at her.

Tentatively he reaches out his muzzle, trying to touch it gently to her shoulder. Unusually, there's nothing sexual about the touch - although there could very easily be, as she is very attractive - as it's entirely aimed to comfort, to console. Volterra has always valued touch as a means of communication, especially given the fact he's not the most eloquent of stallions. After a brief touch of her shoulder, if allowed, the warlord will withdraw his muzzle as though nothing has happened, because to him it's a perfectly simple and far more meaningful way of offering an apology.

She shakes off her malaise and asks him to tell her more about the Throat. He isn't sure how much to give away, because he does not wish to compromise the safety of his people, but a few tibits can't hurt. He smiles wryly, keen to extol the virtues of his home but equally keen to remember its flaws. "It's...hot," he says with a wrinkling of his nose. "Tallsun in the Throat is wearing on the stamina of even the most hardy of warriors, as it is relentless with its heat. The land is beautiful, however, and I would not trade it for the world." There's a fondness in his eyes now, as though describing a favoured child. "There is a rich history within the Throat, not least the fact that it was once ruled by the finest warlord Helovia has ever seen...aside from myself, of course." He snorts somewhat arrogantly, because whilst the words are meant as a joke there's also some obvious truth in them. "The mantle of Sultan is not one that I take lightly, as I know my predecessors will take some living up to." That's putting it lightly.

A tilt of his head, his white face open and interested. "And the Basin?"

No matter the differences in their opinions, the ocean mare finds that she quite enjoys the large stallion’s company. He seems to be true to both himself and his word, as well as a loyal and just leader for the people of the Throat—all attributes that she can’t help but admire. Her smile softens at his touch (she is, coincidentally, as fond of physical closeness as the Indomitable) while her pale eyes sparkle at his description of his desert home. He speaks with an affection (and duty) that she knows well.

“I understand the weight of a crown,” Tiamat shakes her head, huffing a heavy sigh from her nostrils and smiling almost nervously. While she is endlessly grateful for the opportunity to serve her people, and honored that the Time God had seen fit to choose her as Lady, it is a responsibility that she constantly feels weighing across her shoulders.

Flicking her leonine tail out behind her, and shifting her weight more comfortably, Tiamat continues with a playfully wry smile. “I suppose the Basin can get as cold as the Throat does hot; there is snow on the highest peaks nearly year-round, though the valley does warm up well in the summer. Plant growth is abundant and colorful, and the air is always fresh and crisp,” she inhales a deep breath as though to emphasize her point, laughing softly before meeting Volterra’s eyes again. “Likewise, I would not trade it for the world. The Basin has always been my home, and I couldn’t imagine a life without it.”

The sea mare’s eyes are half-lidded in happiness, the tenderness in her expression highlighted by the fire’s flickering light. “I intend to properly visit your Throat someday, Sultan,” she gives him a coy wink, “but goodnight for now, it was truly a pleasure.” Reaching to brush his nose in farewell, the blue maiden smiles, her white eyes lingering on his before the crack of the whip calls her elsewhere.

notes; Sorry this took so long. I really enjoyed threading them together!!<3
“Speech.”
the Ocean’s Light

image credits
@Volterra