the Rift

[OPEN] Once upon a time [questing]

Isopia the Mountain That Knows Posts: 780
Dragon's Throat Apostle atk: 6.5 | def: 10 | dam: 8.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: 3 - is now aging slowly HP: 90 | Buff: NUMB
Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd

ISOPIA
In reality's shadow the blind see best.

Once upon a time there was a girl, and that girl made a mistake. In fact, she had made lots of mistakes, but this tale is focused only on one of them. Isopia, the one who had someone gotten a reputation for being holy than thou, had stolen something.

And now she was here to set it right.

The demi-goddess hadn't seen Volterra since Babel's hatching. They had left on decidedly bizarre grounds that left Isopia unsure of just how to proceed. From the memories of him and their relationship that Hubris had given back to her, she 'recalled' that she'd never had to really think about what to do with or around him. Everything had just happened so organically and easily. But now? Now she had no idea.

As she flew towards the heart of the throat, two dragons swirled around her. One was gold and the other bronze, and both glittered like speckles of sunlight in the blazing Tallsun heat. Isopia hadn't forgotten how warm the Throat could get in summer, but she wasn't prepare for this. Sweat trickled from her dark hide, and even as the wind from her flight brushed away the droplets, new ones formed almost instantly. Her mouth felt parched and her limbs strained against the humidity, but Isopia's eyes were set upon her goal.

The Diviners Fire.

Presumably the God of the Sun would not mind her borrowing a bit of the flame, but now that she was in a herd and answered to a King and Queen, it was probably in her best interest not to simply steal the magical fire.

Landing, Isopia folded her wings against her sweat flanks and took a deep breath. Her golden eyes surveyed the blood-red sands, hoping to find someone who could give her approval for what it was she was here for.

Open to all! Isopia is questing. She would like to borrow a bit of the diviners fire :D

Image Credits

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

I NEVER FEAR DEATH OR DYING, I ONLY FEAR NEVER TRYING
I AM WHATEVER I AM, ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE ME NOW

He fucking hates summer. He hates the flies, the heat, the sweat, the dry grass, the thirst, the heat, the heat! Long, hot days and short, cool nights blur into one another as the Sultan performs his duties admirably despite his suffering, his onyx pelt glistening with sweat as he completes yet another circuit of his borders. He moves at a fluid, collected canter despite the temperature - these long-distance runs in such conditions help improve his stamina and tone his already formidable muscles, and Volterra is not the sort to shy away from potential training merely due to discomfort.

His dragons fly alongside him, gleaming hulks of red and gold. They test their own stamina with these flights, their wings straining against the humid air and their scaled snouts pointed determinedly forwards. Whilst Volterra has nobody but himself to compete against, Vadir and Vérzés race shamelessly against each other. The Indomitable knows from experience that both of his dragons are just as stubborn and competitive as he is, and even though he can tell that both of their bodies are aching and their lungs screaming for air, neither is willing to admit defeat. Stop, he finally commands them. They cannot sweat like he does, but their tongues are lolling as they desperately try to inch their noses in front of the other. You're going to kill yourselves. Tinglings of relief flow into his mind as both companions submit to his whims and slow their frantic wingbeats, whilst putting up a valiant show of disgruntlement.

When Vadir suddenly deviates from the path and barrels forwards again, Volterra rolls his eyes. What did I JUST say? But the queen's determination is resolute, and with a small grunt the stallion alters his own track to follow her. Vérzés growls crossly and reluctantly follows as well, whilst Vadir finally reveals the source of her interest - two more circling dragons, and a very familiar mare. The gold makes a beeline upwards towards Isopia's companions, studiously ignoring Hubris whilst sending little blasts of flame in greeting towards Babel like the shameless attention-slut she is, according to Volterra anyway.

Despite the heat, despite the discomfort, despite his already sweating body and despite his already punishing pace, Volterra's stride lengthens as eagerness overtakes his exhaustion. By the time he reaches her, he's feeling decidedly the worse for wear - his obsidian fur is stained with sweat, his ears lolling flaccidly to either side and his sides heaving with tiredness that he desperately tries to mask. He must have cantered for several miles without a break in this unrelenting sunlight, and he hopes his frothing and travel-worn body is attractive in a raw, masculine, look-at-my-stamina way and not repugnant in an eww-you-stink-get-a-bath way.

Just to complete the image, the moment Volterra halts he almost disappears beneath a blanket of flies, as though they are drawn to him by a magnetic pulse. He pins his ears and slaps his tail against them, but he can feel their persistent little suckers sinking into him in a haze of pinpricks. "Kis hollo," he greets the mare, forcing a smile. It still feels wrong to call her that after everything that's happened, but the Indomitable is a creature of habit. "To what do I owe the pleasure upon my sands?" Referring to the sands as his is purposeful, hoping she will notice and ask what he means so he can gleefully reveal his new title. In the depths of his brain - the folds of consciousness where hope gets caught - he thinks she may be here to see him, to add the second chapter to their fledgling new relationship. In reality, it is probably something business-like, but it is a joy to see her all the same...even if that same part of his mind still feels betrayed by what she did.

image credits

@Isopia

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd

ISOPIA

Babel, of course, rises to greet the golden queen immediately. His onyx eyes glint as he lifts off. Because his body is still so new and supple, he has not entirely mastered flight in a way that one would call graceful, and so the golden king limits his movements to ones which he has honed and practiced, so as not to embarrass himself before his larger and more astute counterpart. Flame leaves her lips and the gold feels the inkling of something smoulder inside of his belly, but of course it will be months before flame ejects from his own lips as it does hers. Instead, he curls his head obediently and respectfully in greeting, offering a submissive pose just as long as is necessary, before curling is own gracefully-growing neck and offering a wry grin.

Hubris, unbothered by this gaudy golden display of power and stature (he is a royal too, and older than both, they might remember), trills a happy greeting to Vérzés and waves.

Isopia's golden eyes roam to where the trio has come, and although her body is lathered in sweat, Volterra is practically drowning in it. His dark pelt is mottled by bits of foam, making it appear as though he had just come from the sea-shore, rather than the desert sands. He smells of man and musk, but because she has only the visual memories that Hubris has given back to her and not any of the accompany sensory accompaniments, his scent does not trigger anything feral or lustful in her, as it once had. 

She does however, take his bait.

"Yours?" She asks, golden eyes appearing curious. Once, she might have given him a lecture on how no one could own the sand upon which they currently stood, but she had grown in her understanding of the conventional ( and sloppy) way that Helovian's often spoke, and so she took her words as she assumed he meant them. As an indication of leadership. "You are the Sultan then? Alongside Aithniel?" A memory prickled, a reminder of the anger she had once felt about what she has perceived as betrayal. Even now her mind understood that she should be angry, that she should see something perverse about Volterra, her once-lover, ruling alongside her cousin, but this poisonous thought did not extend to her body. Instead she regarded him calmly, waiting for him to confirm or deny her assumption.

Image Credits

@Volterra

Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

Approval glints in the queen's ruby eyes as the younger gold rises to meet her. He offers submission, yet displays his own power in a way which demonstrates the fact he is gold and worthy of such a royal hue; it is the perfect blend to appeal to Vadir's vain desire to be superior yet also her desire to find an equal. Something burns in the pit of her stomach, something different, something that feeds back to Volterra and causes a somewhat smug expression to drift across his face. This time, it's her turn to studiously ignore him, and she sends another blast of flame into the sky before circling away from Babel in an attempt at aloofness.

Vérzés returns Hubris' cheery wave, waggling his paw so fast he almost topples from his perch on his bonded's back. Volterra pays little heed to the antics of either of his companions, focused as he is on Isopia. It does not matter how many time he meets this remarkable woman, he is always slightly taken aback by the sight of her. Despite everything that has happened, everything they've been through, he still finds himself yearning for those great, muscled curves, those elegant wings, that sacred hide. The most painful thing is that she surely can't see the same when he looks at him - he is just an unremarkable peasant boy who has risen to king, black of pelt and half-heartedly splashed with white, muscular and well built but not godly.. The fact he now wears a crown is surely secondary.

But these are dark thoughts for a darker time. The yours? causes him to break into a shit-eating grin, preparing to launch into a tirade about his newly-owned home, but then the Mountain speaks again. He realises his mistake, then; gloating about his new position would only remind her of Aithniel, and that has always been the straw that broke the camel's back. Oops.

Now it's Vadir's turn to be smug, and she seizes the mantle gleefully as she glides lazily past on a helpfully-placed thermal of air. "At least I only give attention to one," she purrs into his mind, shooting a sidelong glance at Babel. "This what happens when you whore yourself." The stallion pins his ears and glowers up at her, before returning his attention to Isopia. "Yes, I am the Sultan, but not alongside Aithniel. The Sun God has sent her on a quest in his name - I rule alongside Ampere." He is almost waiting for the questions that he sees as inevitable - are you bedding her? Is that why you've promoted her? - but for once he has his answers ready.

image credits

@Isopia

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]

ISOPIA

Although Babel wants to follow the golden queen into the air, he remains where he is. He cannot fly yet and will not embarrass himself before her, no matter how strong or determined his feelings of ambition are. He is clever enough already to bide his time, allowing his midnight-black eyes to trace her movements, studying not only the graceful curves that her bones make beneath her golden skin, but also her movements that allow her to glide so effortlessly.

"Ah." Isopia responds simply, and despite what Volterra might think, her mind does not immediately wonder if he's now sleeping with the blue. Has he bedded the last two Sultanas? Yes. But, to be fair, that was before they were placed in positions of power, and so even if Isopia's mind were to make that jealous leap, she would have immediately dismissed it. Volterra's ... criteria for sex did not require power.

It seemed in fact, that it didn't require much at all.

"That must keep you quite busy." She murmured, making an attempt towards polite conversation, and immediately wanting to take the words back. "I am actually here because of a quest my father gave me. I was wondering if I might borrow some of your fire-" She nosed towards where the diviner's fire burned brightly, and at the same time, Hubris waved a stick that he had been carrying, indicating that it would soon become a torch, should Volterra offer his permission.

Image Credits

@Volterra

The ah isn't quite what he was expecting, but he does not react to it. The following remark - that it must keep him quite busy - brings a nod of agreement. His youthful dreams about leadership hasn't prepared him for cold hard the reality of it. It's not all valiant battlefield trips, destroying invading predators and drinking his fill of every mare that crosses his path. It's hard work, often boring, rarely glorious. He loves it, and thinks he will grow into the role as he ages and gains experience, but he would rather like to dart back in time and forewarn his younger self that it isn't the cakewalk he'd thought it would be.

I was wondering if I might borrow some of your fire. He glances towards the stick clutched in Hubris' mouth, his brow twisting in puzzlement. Embarrassingly, he doesn't know a great deal about the diviner's fire. The resident Diviner Maren isn't around much, and during his Gladiator days he hadn't really had reason to get to know that particular role. This strikes him now as willful neglect on his part, but he tries to keep this indecision out of his face as he nods sagely as though he totally knows what the purpose of the fire is. "Ah." He echoes her words without even meaning to, distracted as he is by staring at the fire and vowing to himself that he'll not rest until he knows everything about it.

Personally, he doesn't see why she can't take some of it. Surely the fire isn't sentient, and even if it is, he's sure the Sun God would understand his brother's daughter taking some of it for a quest. But then there's the nagging worry that letting Isopia take a piece of fire might be akin to letting her trot up and piss on the Sun God's shrine, an inadvertant act of sacrilege that will result in angry fireballs falling from the sky.

But he forces this indecision aside. A Sultan cannot dwell on his decisions too long, cannot pretend to be anything but utterly assured in his answer. "I don't see why not." The beast looks between Isopia and the fire, convincing himself that the Mountain would not ask something of him that is truly scandalous.

image credits

ISOPIA

I don't see why not. Isopia forces herself to stifle the sigh of relief that bubbles beneath the surface of her skin. Exhaling as calmly as possible, she nods her quad-horned skull in appreciation. Internally, she wondered if Volterra might lord his title, and by extension, his ownership of the fire, over her. Given how they had parted last and all that had transpired between them, she thought that perhaps his patience with her might have been snuffed out by the plethora of mares surely at his disposal now. That whatever love he might once have had for her would be gone, replaced only with bitterness and the need to dominate her in newer, more deserved ways.

She thought he might make her beg, or grovel.

She even thought he might say no.

But he didn't, and Isopia felt a mental flicker of something like longing for the love she once felt for him. As her golden stare travelled over his face, she tried to remember what it was like to stand in his presence, when she loved him. To feel her knees grow weak and feel her stomach flutter, demanding his touch. Her body was like a shell before him now, occupied only by a ghost that could not speak or touch or crave.

"So..." Isopia began as Hubris skirted across the sands, stick brandished. He inserted it into the fire that danced hotly, and immediately the flammable substance on the end of the tip beckoned the fire onto it. "How...have you been.." The question was awkward and uncomfortable, born not only from Isopia's desires to learn (or pretend) to be more sociable, but also because it didn't seem right that the two of them together should be so frigid and uncomfortable around one another. They had spent their lives together, and even though things had been broken between them, was there really no fixing it?

Image Credits

@Volterra

With anybody else - or, indeed, maybe even Isopia herself a short time ago after their argument - Volterra may well have used his title to his advantage. He is, after all, a man of many vices, one of which is a primal need to assert his dominance in any way possible...and what is the use of being Sultan if he can't occasionally fondle his ego by using it? Such a thought does not cross his mind when the Mountain asks, though. Doing such a thing to her, despite what's happened, seems more petty and spiteful than he can possible contemplate. Not just because of the carnal reaction his body always has to her - tingling flesh, aching there, darkening eyes and a flicker of something softer in the depths of his heart - but because she is his friend, and that is something Volterra values.

He watches Hubris soar along and snatch up some of the fire, surreptitiously glancing upwards as though expecting the Sun God to descend and immolate him for allowing somebody to desecrate the fire in such a way. He's distracted from this unpleasant musing as Isopia speaks again, asking him how he is. There's a deep sorrow in his chest at the notion that she feels the need to fill these silences, and that indeed the silence had felt awkward in the first place - time was, they could simply stand together in companionable quiet with nothing but the beating of their mirrored hearts to break it. Alas, that is what happens when one must start afresh without the burden of a shared past, or at least with a shared past that only one of them truly remembers. They have to earn the right to enjoy their silences again, to be content in simply sharing each other's company.

Until that time, small talk is the best way to go. "Well enough," comes his response, conversational and jovial in tone. "Ruling the herd takes up most of my time, but it is something I enjoy doing so I would not bemoan it. Whenever I get chance, I scour the Marsh for any way to defeat Kaos, but these trips have proven futile." He frowns, feeling the familiar frisson of displeasure at his failure to discover anything about the false God. "And you?" At lot must have changed for her, what with the Falls disbanding and all.

image credits

@Isopia

ISOPIA

The demigoddess nodded, almost resignedly, as Volterra tried to answer her obvious and clearly motivated question with an answer that was meant to sound easy and casual. They were old friends after all, why shouldn't it be that way? But as the words spilled from his lips, Isopia could feel something inside of her clench and turn cold.

They didn't do small talk.

They did other things, and this wasn't one of them.

"Yes...I'm surprised by the lack of direction from the Gods on that front.." She agreed distractedly. "The Edge keeps me busy enough.." Had she told him she lived in the Edge? Suddenly their previous conversations swam in her mind, and she couldn't remember what was real and what were only conversations that she had allowed to play out in her thoughts. "I am their Seer now.." She trailed off, feeling as though she was required to prove that she hadn't just gone from outcasted Czarina to nothing, while he stood before her as a Sultan. "So that's..." Good? Busy? Fun? Something I know how to do? What? The words dried up on her tongue, and her golden eyes hesitantly rose to look into his ruby ones, her eyes glazed with awkward sadness.

Image Credits

@Volterra

It's stuttering, awkward, fumbling. Compared to the fluid ease with which they once conversed, this is a stark reminder that you don't miss the water until it's gone. Volterra thinks of all their other discussions, from the trivial to the vital, and how they'd all just...flowed. Like pieces of a puzzle falling into place, like the easy synchronicity of two dragons in the sky, the old Volterra and Isopia could have discussed the finer points of fungus and they'd still have managed to make it feel natural and comfortable. In the past they'd just worked regardless of what they were talking about, but this....this is almost painful. This makes the black beast yearn for those lazy conversations about nothing, because prior to this, they didn't need to speak properly in order to understand each other. The unsaid things were often just as loud as whatever left their mouths, whereas now there's nothing but empty space and awkwardness hanging between the words.

It's more troubling than Volterra can possibly have imagined it would be. He'd been naiive to think that, now the Mountain has her memories back, they'd just tumble back into the same easy friendship and more that they'd always been. He'd expected it to be like pulling on an old glove, friendly and comfortable and warm, yet instead it's like walking through one's old home only to find it cold, empty and unfamiliar. It makes sense, he supposes. Just because she has those memories back doesn't mean that she still feels everything like she had during those times, because to her, those images must seem as though they've come from somebody else. Even when somebody describes to you what love feels like, it cannot compare to actually feeling it for real, and that's how he imagines it must work in Isopia's head.

His dreams of slipping back into the old routine, then, seem entirely stupid now. This conversation - if it can even be called that - only proves it.

The mare adds that she is the Edge's Seer, and Volterra nods absently. This isn't right. He refuses to be condemned to this, refuses to have his single most important relationship be broken down into two strangers pretending they know each other. This isn't how he wants to live. He wants the old Isopia back, as utterly selfish as that may seem, and he's going to do anything in his power to make her truly understand the things she's been told to feel through those memories. "Say, perhaps once you've collected your fire, we could go to the Hidden Falls." Now the Falls have been relegated to a neutral land, they can be explored at will. Volterra hasn't yet done so, because despite how much he longs to roam the realm that could have been his, he would feel almost like he was intruding if he went there alone.

His gaze snaps to hers, and a small, hopefully warm smile blossoms across his lips. "We could visit your clearing, like old times." His plan could surely not be more obvious - the only thing he can think of doing to bring back Isopia's feelings is to take her back through memory lane, through all the places that had defined them. The day in her clearing had been perhaps one of the most important for their growth as friends and lovers, and the stallion's remaining tendrils of hope convince him that going there with her might help start the spark to rekindle them. At the very least, it might enable them to talk with slightly more normality than this stunted, miserable excuse for a discussion.

image credits

@Isopia

ISOPIA

We could go to the Hidden Falls.

Isopia's first reaction is to remind Volterra that the Hidden Falls is gone, but then that's not quite right. It isn't actually gone, it's just ... not a place that one could really live anymore. Whatever the thing was that made a land inhabitable, her Father had taken it.

But of course, that wasn't what Volterr was saying at all.

His hungry mind already having consumed all of Isopia's memories, Babel's black eyes turned towards her, sparking with mischief and mockery. He didn't particularly care about Isopia and this stallion in so far as their love was concerned, but he did rather enjoy feeling Isopia mentally squirm as certain thoughts collided in her mind. Viciously, the black-eyed dragon forced an image of the two of them shoulder to shoulder in her hottub, as if he had been there for that moment himself. His suggestion was clear: she should go with him. What harm could it do? And it might be fun.

It wasn't like they had much of a relationship left to ruin if it all went poorly.

Immediately interrupting, Hubris interjected his own thoughts, tittering at Babel's clear attempts to get Isopia worked up.

"Old times." She repeated, stupidly, feeling obligated to say something and finding only those words on her tongue. "I-" She wanted to slap herself. If she didn't care about Volterra, how was it that she could so easily be tongue-tied in his presence? Taking a breath, she swallowed, trying to block out the sensual images that Babel was finding and thrusting to the forefront of her mind. It made her skin itch and ignited parts of her that her mind immediately tried to counter with cold rationality. But it wasn't much use. Her body still remembered him, even if her mind didn't.

"The clearing...Our child is buried there." She said finally. It wasn't a yes or a no. It was ... a rope perhaps. And it was up to Volterra to hang her with it, or lead her along by it. 

Image Credits

@Volterra

It doesn't occur to him that she might refuse. The old Isopia would surely not have refused...and yet, as Volterra must keep reminding himself, this isn't the old Isopia. This is a new woman forged from the ashes of the old one, with her predecessor's memories locked away but without the true meaning behind those memories. When she repeats his words back at him then hesitates, the stallion finds himself fretting that she might actually turn him down, that perhaps the desire to ignite what they once had is his and his alone.

The fact that eloquent, clever Isopia is so rarely lost for things to say only makes the Indomitable more convinced that she's contemplating how to politely refuse. He steels himself in preparation, tries to come up with a gracious acceptance of whatever apology she offers, but instead....instead, she says something that makes the guts drop out of his world. Our child is buried there. The beast freezes, his face an odd mask of confusion, sadness, and surprise. Maybe he should have known that Isopia would choose to bury the body there, and yet....he hadn't actually contemplated the possibility that she'd buried their son at all. After the Earth God's revelation around the circumstances of the foal's death, he'd assumed that it had been something Isopia had wanted to happen, and thus that the remains would have been squirreled away like a shameful little secret. He hadn't thought for a second that she'd bury them, because burying them implies caring, and caring implies....well, he's not entirely sure, but it's enough to throw out everything he thought he knew about what happened.

Once again, it appears, he's underestimated the Mountain. He's made the mistake of assuming something about her, and if there's one thing he's learned, it's that he should never make assumptions about this remarkable woman.

He knows he's treading on dangerous ground now. This is a very sore point between them, and if he puts one foot wrong in this particular minefield, he could lose everything. "I would like to visit the grave, if...if you wouldn't mind." His usually authoritative voice is surprisingly hesitant, because he feels like he's asking her to reveal a particularly raw piece of her soul. Their child's grave is a secret that she and only she knows - or so he thinks - so asking her to share it is akin to asking her to share the deepest, darkest part of herself. If the roles were reversed, Volterra would be unwilling to let anybody into this sacred little place of his, a place where he can grieve in peace.

He offers that escape rope tentatively, hoping that she won't take it but knowing that he must dangle it regardless. "We don't have to if you don't want to. I don't want to intrude." Which is about the closest thing to a lie Volterra will ever tell, because he wants to visit his dead son more than he can possibly put into words.

image credits

@Isopia

ISOPIA

She shakes her head indicated that no, she doesn't mind. With others she would of course, but if anyone has a right to see the small grave, it was Volterra.

"There's nothing to intrude upon." She offers, meaning for her voice to sound light. What she intended the statement to mean was that, since she didn't live there nor did anyone else, intrusion wasn't possible. But she realized quickly that it might mean a number of other things. Namely, you can't intrude upon the dead, or we are nothing, and so it isn't intruding, to me. She shakes her head again, her mind buzzing with the stupidity of her words, normally so carefully chosen. She blames Babel, for he continues to shove images of she and Volterra in full-fledged sexual throws into her mind. Flashes of red blur her vision, and yet she doesn't tell the dragonling to stop. Perhaps it's because she knows he won't listen.

Or perhaps that isn't why at all.

"I can't believe my Father abondoned the Hidden Falls." She admitted, turning her back to the raging Diviner's fire and moving towards the border. She assumed he had meant they could go right away, and expected him to follow behind her. This at least, felt easy enough.

New thread in the Falls?

Image Credits

@Volterra

He's almost forgotten his dragons, so engrossed is he in this conversation. Amazingly, this is the first time it doesn't feel awkward. Vadir glides lazily overhead, unleashing a loud, pointed sigh. "One woman kills hatchling, you kill her. This woman kills hatchling, you....go with her to see grave." He's not looking at her, but he can picture the sneer that sits upon that royal muzzle of hers. "What so special about this one? Has gold-bonded, but...."

Volterra cuts off her mental tirade firmly. Vérzés, in stark contrast to his haughty golden sister, squeals excitedly at the idea of his bonded making amends with his second favourite horse, and his eyes are wide and happy as he croons over to Hubris. As Isopia begins to walk, a seeming invitation for Volterra to follow, the red dragon hops excitedly up and down on the black's broad back, hardly able to contain his relief that things seem to be going well.

The Indomitable's relief is just as profound, and he falls easily into step beside the giantess. He keeps a polite distance, because as much as he wants their skin to move a hair's breadth away from each other until electricity sizzles between it, he thinks it may be too much too soon. Her words seem like an invitation to talk, and when he replies it doesn't feel forced or difficult. "I confess that it was a surprise to me, as well. It concerns me that Kaos managed to force us to such catastrophic measures so soon." Surely destroying a herd is a last resort, not a first one? "Have you spoken to your father since then?" he questions, curiosity momentarily overwhelming any inhibition. It's nervous chatter, too, because secretly he's worried about seeing his son's grave. Seeing it will make it real, and Volterra has been trying his best to smother his grief since he found out the truth.

image credits

Sounds good :D #VOLSOPIAFORDAYS