the Rift

[OPEN] like a leaf

Toulouse Posts: 146
Aurora Basin Impersonator atk: 8.0 | def: 11.0 | dam: 4.0
Gelding :: Equine :: 17hh :: Six HP: 74 | Buff: ENDURE
Boomslang :: Green Ratsnake :: Paralyze Neverrmind
[Image: toul1_by_neverrmind-db0nrbo.png]
T O U L O U S E

Like a leaf the gelding had blown into this place, this western city of tree trunks and moss. Toulouse had not made a home here, only a house. No friendly neighbours had ever looked in upon him; only wolves waiting and watching him to fall into snares.
He had not failed at his job, not once, though Iona had decided he had before he was even passed the baton. It was this ignorence that had wrung his neck far too dry and caused him to redirect his efforts upon a family more diserving, more hard working and far more noble than most he had come to meet in the World's Edge.

His silks and cloth were strung over his back, his weightless armor donned to carry him sightless through the night. Out of the gate and to the north of the border Toulouse had roamed, diamond-shod hooves gently clicking against the stones.

There was no goodbye, nor hullaballoo, for there was no one to farewell save for the ballerina. She would find him in time; he knew of this.  The soft, silky bark of the Wyvern's Breath tree had been left outside of his cleared outpost; a vibrant indication to the woman of where his journey took him.

Like a leaf he had blown into this place, and once again he soared out.

stock image l love, space

Toulouse has left the World's Edge.
I AM THE KEY TO THE LOCK IN YOUR HOUSE—
DO NOT CRY OUT OR HIT THE ALARM
YOU KNOW WE'RE FRIEND TIL WE DIE—

EITHER WAY YOU TURN, I'LL BE THERE
OPEN UP YOUR SKULL, I'LL BE THERE
CLIMBING UP THE WALLS

SO LOCK THE KIDS UP SAFE TONIGHT
CLOSE THE EYES IN THE CUPBOARD

Yael Posts: 186
World's Edge Seer atk: 7.5 | def: 11 | dam: 2.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.2 :: 39 - appears 8 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zani :: Serval :: None Astor
While Yael would not be dismayed to have some parts of history repeat itself, she has taken to staying out of politics to the best of her ability. Here, there are no preconceived notions, no strong opinions of rank jostling, no prejudices against action that does not directly affect herself, or her closest friends - which at this point, is primarily Lyanna. Maybe Gaal. Rexanna, though she hasn’t seen the gold-and-black unicorn in a while, which is disappointing. The rest are kind enough - to a relative stranger, who still has very much to learn.

Incoming from recent excursions, Yael lands with poise and grace, touching down with years of practice to her dainty little hooves, windswept mane looking more like a bird’s nest than any type of hair. She spies Toulouse, and before it occurs to her that he has everything with him, she greets him with a warm nicker. “Toolouse!” Yael calls out, taking spirited steps towards the silk bedecked gelding. The unexpected takes a moment to register in her mind, but when it does, she maintains a light-hearted tone. “Are you going on a treep?”

If so, she assumes others know. But at the least, someone should know the Sleuth had left.

yael

Image | Background

@Toulouse

Please only tag in starter posts, or if the thread is getting dusty
Force and magic allowed, no death please

Toulouse Posts: 146
Aurora Basin Impersonator atk: 8.0 | def: 11.0 | dam: 4.0
Gelding :: Equine :: 17hh :: Six HP: 74 | Buff: ENDURE
Boomslang :: Green Ratsnake :: Paralyze Neverrmind
[Image: toul1_by_neverrmind-db0nrbo.png]
T O U L O U S E

Tooloose!

The silken gelding pauses when the musical voice of Yael fills his ears. He wished to sigh; a greater sigh than ever had been sighed - though really, she did not deserve such a thing.
Yael was kind, she was glorious. She was one of the only residents of the World's Edge he didn't hate with a learned passion.
are you going on a treep?
How innocently she had asked, her brilliant brown eyes scintillant in the starlight. Toulouse might have considered changing his mind then and there, just to save her from any kind of disappointment. Though, doubt son crept in - why would she be disappointed?

Turning on his front pair of hooves to face the marvellous, sun-coloured woman, Toulouse gave a gruff exhale. "No, Yael" he began, keen green eyes looking towards her own "I am leaving" .
It was with these words that he looked away, perhaps up to the moon or into the stars above, though really he just didn't want to maintain eye contact any longer than he had to. "I will not miss this dreadful place, though I will miss seeing your comings and goings I do admit." Speaking these words brought a timid smile to his face, and finally brought his eyes back to her face.

"You are an entire sun, Yael. Shalom."

stock image l love, space

idk why but this actually hit me in the feels a little bit HAHA
@Yael
I AM THE KEY TO THE LOCK IN YOUR HOUSE—
DO NOT CRY OUT OR HIT THE ALARM
YOU KNOW WE'RE FRIEND TIL WE DIE—

EITHER WAY YOU TURN, I'LL BE THERE
OPEN UP YOUR SKULL, I'LL BE THERE
CLIMBING UP THE WALLS

SO LOCK THE KIDS UP SAFE TONIGHT
CLOSE THE EYES IN THE CUPBOARD

Iona Posts: 100
World's Edge Specter atk: 7.5 | def: 11 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 11 (birdsong) HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Iver :: Osprey :: None Kiki
iona

Iona had kept up with her rigorous schedule of aerial patrols, keeping a wary eye upon the borders. It seemed that thieves had again grown quiet, but she knew that they were ever-lurking in the shadows. It was Yael - a woman she knew by name but not personally - who drew her gaze - the golden pegasus’ form unmistakable as she made her way back towards the Edge.  However, Iona’s attention was captured when the gold pegasus changed course unexpectedly and descended, as if something had caught her gaze.  Intrigued, Iona hastened her pace and made her way towards a clearing near to where she’d seen Yael land.  She was surprised by the voice she heard before she could breach the trees. 

I am leaving, comes the unmistakable voice of Toulouse.  Her ears involuntarily flick backwards when the Edge is referred to as dreadful, but the dark mare holds her tongue.

Iona wasn’t entirely sure how she felt about the fact that he was leaving them. It had been clear to her from the very beginning that he’d never had the well being at the herd at heart, at least not in her eyes. How could he?  How would someone who loved this place be so cruel to its citizens - to threaten death for power and pettiness?  To pass judgment freely and without cause and crumble when the judgment came in turn, lashing out at those who were members of this herd that considered itself family. Perhaps it was better this way - that he was leaving and taking his attitude with him. Iona had never looked upon the gelding the same way after he had nearly killed Raeden.  Prior to that, she had so little to judge him on.  She knew his face from meetings, from one incomplete conversation where he told her he had intelligence yet failed to divulge it, and from the moment on the cliff’s edge when everything had changed. Since that moment she’d been unsure what had changed, but she didn’t care now.  He’d passed judgment on her ability to lead based on something. In return, did not trust him.  He’d certainly done nothing to earn it back. Turning his back on the Edge ensured he never would.  

Iona expected to feel something, now that he was leaving them.  Anger. Frustration. Maybe even relief. 

But she felt nothing at all. 

She doesn’t step from the shadows, nor does she particularly care if she’s spotted.  She has little to say, regardless. However with Toulouse’s departure, she’d certainly have work to do.  She was already making a mental inventory, though she’d make sure she saw him cross the northernmost border before acting accordingly. 

"The question isn't who's going to let me;
it's who's going to stop me."
image credits || quote: ayn rand

Feel free to see / interact with her or not - just needs to see him leaving for IC reasons. :)

@Yael
@Toulouse

Please tag IONA in all posts.
Force and magic permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.
image credit 

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
The Elephant King’s head rose slightly, swiveling towards the open, beautifully crafted black gates—he needed to head South and affirm relations with the Throat, the winking lunar cycle reminded him. But that was not what was on the forefront of his mind now—no. Now his dark navy depths were focused on the silks and cloths the clung to the pale gold body that slipped out of the gates.

Toulouse.

The man from Dorobo had stirred the Edge, just as he had stirred the Makutano Council. But stirring could be good—it had been in Dorobo. Even if it had ended poorly for Toulouse and his familial jewels. The King’s ears tilted backwards in thought as he watched the man leave, before a brisk jog suddenly shook the ground as the King struck out an abrupt jog after the vacating Specter.

The giant halted at the gate’s threshold, but his rumbling voice traveled far beyond the Edge’s border, “I wish you the best of luck Toulouse,” his words were genuine, even if the gained an edge with the next phrase, “But know you shed any of our safety when you leave this ’dreaded place’. The Edge cannot show loyalty to those that give it none.” His lips pursed, showing his displeasure at the stallion’s dismissal of the herd he had spent his life in Helovia building. Though the Elephant King had seen off others from the Edge’s fold without begrudging them their freedom, it was the snake’s ill will that rankled the Elephant.
Tembovu
the Elephant King

Please tag Tembovu.

Yael Posts: 186
World's Edge Seer atk: 7.5 | def: 11 | dam: 2.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.2 :: 39 - appears 8 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zani :: Serval :: None Astor

yael

In her innocent good-will, she shows him what he wishes to avoid – her brows furrow together first in confusion, followed quickly by a sadness and loss. Odd, perhaps, for a man she knew technically very little of, but he had been exceedingly kind to her when her world turned upside down, and that sort of thing she always remembers.  

He calls the Edge dreadful and her ears fall a little – not in anger, no never in anger – but again, in pity that he felt he had no other option left to him. “Ah, Tooloose… I veesh I xad known you vere unxappy…” lilting tones drift off as she scrutinizes the gelding, wondering if she’d just been blind, too wrapped up in herself, or if this was a sudden decision. Better yet, what caused him to call the pine-and-cliff land dreadful?  But her sentiment-laced statement is genuine, and her words are true “Lyanna shall mees you too,” she says gently, attempting to remind the  wanderer that if nothing else, he did have more than one friendly face in his old home.

She blushes, though it goes unnoticed in the dark. “You are too kind. I vish you to be vell, Touloose, and safe, and t’at ve may meet again, yes?” She pauses, allowing him to turn away from her before  murmuring quietly in the language of her people, ”Le’ hitraot.” Goodbye. Iona goes unnoticed, hidden in the shadows, and she passes Tembovu on his way out of the gate – but he pays her no attention, and she gives him none in return.

You can’t make everyone happy in a herd – but what was it that could make someone call it dreadful?

trust your heart if the seas catch fire

live by love, though the stars walk backwards

Image © littlewillow-art

@Toulouse  
@Tembovu  
@Iona

Please only tag in starter posts, or if the thread is getting dusty
Force and magic allowed, no death please

Lyanna the Windswept Posts: 313
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 11 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 5 years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Kyra
so i listen to the    wind for an answer
She could have liked him, once. She’d brought him here, hadn’t she? Had healed him and made sure he came back to good health. Had believed, once, that he would fit in here. And for the most part, that belief had held true. Until the challenge with Raeden, and not simply because he’d challenged for a position. There was nothing wrong with that. It’s the way he went about it, literally trying to kill his opponent for a title. That had been enough to judge him on. Wanting a title, fine, she could understand that. But killing a comrade for it? No, she could never trust him for that.

She was coming back from a trip to the Threshold, flying in over the trees as she often does. She’s low enough that Tembovu’s voice catches her attention, something about wishing Toulouse the best of luck. She slows a bit, circling, listening to Tembovu’s next words without the rest of the context. But it’s clear enough that Toulouse is leaving for one reason or another. She wants to feel bad for him, wants to care, and there’s a tiny part of her that does. Part of her that feels like somehow she failed him. That somehow all this is her fault for bringing him here in the first place. Which is ridiculous, she cannot control his actions, but still, she cannot shake the guilt.

But more than guilt, there’s relief. She doesn’t have to worry about the snake slinking through her misty trees anymore. And then Yael’s voice, so kind, even moreso than Lyanna. Her words that Lyanna would miss the snake as well are laughable, though Lyanna does not laugh. There’s something too heavy about that moment. She debates landing outside the gate, trying to catch Toulouse on his way out. But what would she say. So instead she stays in the sky, circling above the trees, watching as he goes. Perhaps he will see her watching, though certainly, from her place in the sky he cannot see the emotions that war within her.

lyanna

art by yewrezz

This is really late, but I wanted to reply. Feel free to have seen her or not. @Toulouse

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Kiki