the Rift

Cri de coeur

Yves Posts: 4
World's Edge Stallion
Stallion :: Equine :: 17 :: 5
Grace

It is mid-morning; unseasonably mild, particularly here in the shade of this dense forest canopy, but still far too warm and humid to be comfortable for a big hairy beast like Yves. Drafts were not designed for this season. The dappled stallion sweats profusely under his heavy mane as he walks, absent-mindedly rolling a wad of sourgrass around his mouth. It is not an attractive habit. The tangy leaflets pucker his mouth and stimulate his salivary glands, causing bright green foam to accumulate around his lips. Even alone, he cannot help but feel self-conscious about how he must look. Still, the temporary reprieve from his thirst is well worth looking a little ridiculous, and besides, the bright, citrusy flavor is not unpleasant.

Yves’ dinner plate hooves press gently into the silty soil. Almost gingerly, he avoids crushing the undergrowth with a practiced, delicate stride. His eyes are constantly scanning the forest around him with curiosity, but not caution; he is noting subtle changes in the vegetation, continually updating his mental map of what grows where. Does it matter? Will he ever be back here? He deftly tiptoes around these existential questions, directing his attention instead to gnashing down vigorously on the lump of leaves. I’m lonely. The thought strikes him like a boulder, forcing the air from his lungs in a great whoosh. This, too, he ignores.
Yves

OOC: Open to any - I'd like him to join a herd, but he can go anywhere. =)

Cassius Posts: 46
Aurora Basin Haurspex atk: 3.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.0h :: 4 [Birdsong] HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
mar

»› C A S S I U S ‹«

As benign as he had been, Cassius forces himself towards the Threshold. Reminds himself, that there is perhaps no better way of securing the Basin than offering ties to weary strangers. With the hopes of cultivating loyalty for a home, wiling to house and feed, nurture their souls into the threads that entwine them together.

Although, a sense of fear and foreboding usher his steps closer into Helovia’s opening. The God of the Spark, his massive voice as it splits into the air warns of the consequences of being idle only some days ago. And still it rings and courses into life, when Cassius finally regards the uneven borders of the Threshold.

He hesitates. Recalling how assassins often trailed the feet of slaves on the escape. Dragging them back to their masters. Killing, the easier, more merciful option often swayed for tortuous methods set on display. Would they still be searching for him, now? After nearly a whole year marks his arrival into Helovia?

There will always be an uncertainty, a ghost, and a dark premonition that exists between the forests. With several easy, tempered breaths he finally breaches. With ears that search the creaking canopies for their daggers, and the swift footfalls of an assailant. Cassius weaves then, to and fro from the patches of forest to open meadows – deftly, efficiently as he scans the lands to avoid pausing in one place for too long. His face, guarded, resolute, frowning as thought and instinct war in the forefront of his skull.

When he spots the strange stallion, he is still a ways away. Pausing mid step and smoothing his strides, slow, cautious of the figure that he nearly misses from the corner of his eyes. Perhaps he is the first to greet this figure, large, and ambling with a purposeful stride. One that brings itself closer, revealing dusty hues that glimmer in stray light, a heavy sheen that follows the ebbs and curves of the rather large male.

Despite the drum of his heart, and the forceful nature of each breath, Cassius turns his body to meet the ambling stallion. There are no knives strapped to his limbs, nor cloak to hide his daggers - just the simple bubbling of green foam that escapes their mouth.

The gray offers a light-hearted whinny the closer he moves. Picking up his feet to roll forward and stop beside one of the trees. “Greetings,” his voice chimes, airy in the thick heat. And dips his crowned head cordially to welcome the stranger, regardless of morals or conscientious. The bow is so practiced and ready, that Cassius hardly thinks twice about it. Regarding the other with a nearly nervous half-grin.

“I’m Cassius. Ah-,” ’disciple’; but the neutral term no longer applies to him. And he laughs briefly at himself for the fumble. “I am the Aurora Basin Haurspex. A herd that lies to the north of these lands… What brings you into the land of Helovia?” Sometimes there weren’t always reasons, but it seems polite to ask. As the stallion waited – unaccustomed to the traditions of the Threshold, his tail swaying and twitching behind him.

@Yves :: welcome to Helovia! :D

Astarot Posts: 81
Dragon's Throat Sun Physician atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17.1 :: 2 (Birdsong) HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zafír :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Pare
Astarot & Zafir

The cream coated stallion made his way towards the threshold. Zafir chirping as she flew slightly ahead of him scarlet eyes on the look out for food. Lucky for him the dargoness had taken just as well to hunting as she had to flying. He smiled his heart swelling as the feeling flooded her mind as well. A croon rumbled from her icy lips as she cast a glance back at her bonded. Since her hatching the blue had chosen to ignore most horses, excluding Astarot's family. She had no need to eyeball them, or speak to them. Unless he told her other wise she basically sat idly upon his back or poll and watched everyone go about their blathering. In her mind unless you were a female dragon or Astarot, she could careless.

It didn't bother the stallion; in fact he loved that she, mostly, only cared for him. Scarlet and sapphire eyes looked around the thick trees. Zafir circled back and carefully landed upon his wide back eyeing the pair they had found. Both were males, both smaller, both grey. One had a horn while the other did not. And one had a very odd green foam around his mouth. Bone marked head titled curiously as he debated walking over. Zafir smacked her tail lightly on his left side, steering him towards the fellow stallions. Shrugging inwardly he smiled and strode forward.

He was in time to catch the words of the ice scented brute. He waits silently catching the words. Astarot could tell he was from the Basin before he even said the words. He counted two of their numbers friends; Frost Fyre as well as Tiamat. He smiled at the thought of the ocean like mare and his heart thundered in his chest. Zafir rolled her eyes while sitting proudly watchign the lowly horses in front him them.

When Cassius was done speaking he dipped his head warmly to each male. "It's a pleasure to meet both of you. I am Astarot, and this is my companion Zafir. We hail from the Dragon's Throat, a herd to the south of here." He smiled calmly at the others his body neither tensed or relaxed. He had no need to fear the two, nor trust them. Instead he kept his bulk neutral, ready to fightor run if anything were to happen.

His eyes flickered to the foam on the newcomer's lips, he longed to ask what it was that made him froth like a rabid animal, but he kept his words in his mouth. It would be rude to ask, if he needed help he could fetch it, but maybe it was just some odd quirk his body had been cursed with. Thunder rolled from him once more, "Welcome to Helovia, were magic and animals run wild." He chuckled softly at his own joke before casting a glance at his dragon. A puff of frost seeped from her nostrils at his lame attempt of making friends.
---------------------------------------------------
Talk
Words;; 498
OOC/Tags;; @Yves @Cassius Welcome to Helovia!
[Image: silver_dreamer_mist_trans_tag_by_are_we_...a8y6wy.png]

Pippigrin Posts: 77
Dragon's Throat Gladiator atk: 6.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 10hh :: Two HP: 68 | Buff: NOVICE
Brandybuck :: Wolverine :: None Neverrmind

home is behind the world ahead
there are many paths to tread

Not even the sweet smells of the desert could keep Pippigrin grounded in his herdland— not for long, anyhow. The hobbit had been keenly awaiting a slightly more likeable weather of an excusrions, the kind that did not cause him to feel as though his skin might just burn right off his delicate, round body. The sweltering heat of the oasis was one greatly adored by some, be it the aristocrats of Helovia who enjoy the finer fruits it bore and the bohemian charm of the low-laying country, or the battle-hardened warriors who took no delight in the cold.

Feather light and shakable as a daisy, Pippin had soared north-east of his southern abode. This was an excursion, a great journey, that had only been made with a feasible amount of planning and calculation by the foal-sized stallion; because obviously, one as little as he was not accustomed to journeying great distances and certainly not over windswept deserts and country-sized meadows. Hobbits from over-the-hill were generally more social creatures, always staying in the same spot for the entirety of their lives and not ever really venturing more than a five-mile radius from the herd's center.
This was what made Pippin a rarity; a great gem. Though, if the hobbits from Over-the-hill could see him now, they would probably just think him quite stupid.

So it was like a leaf on the wind that the child of stone soared over the threshold, his eyes of cold and wintry days peering keenly below the canopy. He had planned on recovering his beloved saucepan, the one stolen by a great bear upon his entry to Helovia, though his confidence in retriving it was fairly low by this point - there was just so many trees... and each looked exactly the same. They stretced for miles, as far as the eye could see. His poor saucepan was long lost.
Treading his winds upon the windcurrent, keeping his body in place in the air, Pippin let a great sight escape his maw. Goodbye saucepan.
It was at this moment that a number of voices flooded into his ears, and with great curiosity the minature craned his neck to look at the trees below.

Under the branches and roofing of the canopy he saw a small gathering, including one young stag he recognised from his own herdland. A name nor title was known of this fellow Thoratian, only that he belonged to his herd.
Swooping with all the precision he could muster, Pip darted like a bullet 'neath the forest's roof, sending leafy shrapnel flying and littering those gathered below.
"Hullo!" He cheered from above, circling the trio before he landed with a great fumble behind a near-by oak.
Emerging with a number of twigs and leafy debris littered in his mane and feathers, the minuscule gentleman strode forth to greet them, though not before warning them of the great saucepan snatcher.
"There's a bear that lives in these woods - he stole my saucepan only last week!"

Folding his wings, the creature of barely ten-hands-high walked right under Yves's stomach in an attempt to cross infront of those gathered without walking infront of anyone (because THAT would be rude. so rude.)
"I am Pippin! A warrior of the mighty Dragon's Throat. Which herdlands are you fellows from?"

Welcome Grace! I am Neve, it's awesome to meet you!
If you're interested in having Yves join the Dragon's Throat, here's some info about our herd land!
Land Guide - Dragon's Throat - This will explain all the flora and fauna found on the island! We have some mythical plants and creatures that you can learn a bit about in this short guide too!
Dragon's Throat Information - This one has a small mindmap of the tiers and ranks, plus a list of the herd's companions. Below that you'll find a list of rules, then all of the ranks explained in detail, and then below that you can find history of the DT as well as information about the culture of the Throat! Ps. you absolutely do not have to read all of this but it's a helpful document to refer to when you have questions!
And finally;
New Player Tables - This is a thread i set up where new players can request a table! You don't look like you need any help with coding, your table is beautiful! but if you'd like just hmu on that post and I can fix you up with another one if you'd like one!
Also something to note; your character is entitled to one small joining item, so think of something cool you can add to his accessories! (note; something small means it should be able to fit in the palm of your hand. eg. a nose ring, an anklet, or even a really small knife - that's what Pippin got!)
If you think of any questions hit me up!

art: © x coding: © x

Lyanna the Windswept Posts: 313
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 11 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 5 years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Kyra

- sometimes in the wind of change -

Lyanna comes as often as she can to the Threshold. It has become less and less as her duties keep her in the Edge more often than not. It’s amazing how much time she can spend simply weeding the greenhouse and the garden, or disappearing to pick some needed herbs and plant their own supply. Especially now, with their greenhouse complete, there’s been much to do. Next season should be easier since the perennials, at least, will not need to be replanted. Hopefully. They should fare fine in the greenhouse in the winter, but it has yet to be put to the test. Though she trusted her friend and Glazier’s work. Well, ex-glazier, but she tries not to think about that.

Today, with the sun hot against her back, she makes her way to the Threshold, taking off from the cliff’s edge and taking the scenic route around. It’s beautiful in the cloud, the air cooler here than on the ground. Though it’s not long before she lands again, the heat crashing back around her, sweat already beginning to darken her already dark coat. The trees of the Threshold provide some relief, at least, and she’s thankful for the shade.

She moves through the trees easily, like they are friends, and in a way, they are. She’s never found a forest she did not like, and it reminds her of Morham, of home. Soon voices catch her attention. The Threshold has been rather quiet lately when she has had time to visit, and so she takes the voices as a good sign, making her way over to join the small group that has formed. And it seems she’s the first female to join as well.

She catches enough of the conversation to hear their names and their herd lands. She’s nearly out of the trees and in enough of a clearing to be seen when another stallion tumbles into the group in something of an ungraceful landing. Though really, she’s impressed he tried to land in a forest at all. There were clearings, but still, it was tricky and a bit dangerous. But of course, Lyanna the Moon Doctor is a bit overcautious sometimes.

Finally, she clears the trees enough to actually join the group, nodding to them as she comes to a stop. “Lyanna,” she offers, “from the World’s Edge.” But then her attention settles on the draft who has yet to introduce himself, the one she assumes is new here. Green foam bubbles from her mouth and she grins in a pleasant way, hardly unkind at all, but almost excited. “Sourgrass?” she asks, thinking she recognizes it’s telltale signs. Of course, she would pick out the plant in the middle of four other stallions. No wonder Erthe laughs at her when she speaks to stallions.

- we find our true direction -

lyanna

@Yves - Welcome!

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Kiki

World's Edge Stallion
Grace

A whinny greets Yves, and he startles in spite of himself. He is not usually the jumpy sort, and his “startle” is admittedly quite mellow by a prey animal’s standards – his crested neck shoots up as he leans his weight back into his hind legs, a half-hearted spook that fizzles out on its own accord like a dud of a firecracker. Embarrassing, but hardly the biggest of his problems. The damn sourgrass! His thoughts start to race as the little woodland congregation grows. I can’t swallow it. Well, I can, but I don’t want to. Nasty stuff. But I can’t very well spit it out, either, see – shit, look, they’re bowing! They’re classy! Don’t spit in front of the classy horses. Smiling bashfully, he tries to discreetly force the cud into a pocket in his cheek, feeling (and looking) distinctly squirrel-like. Charming. He has traveled alone looking like a normal, respectable equine for months, but today, the day he is drooling green slime like some kind of rabid forest hellbeast, is the day he meets someone else. Four someone elses. Of course.

The bearded gray unicorn who approached first calls himself Cassius, the Aurora Basin Haruspex. He is an attractive stallion – vaguely baroque, which, coupled with his easy bow, gives Yves the distinct impression of elegance. The word “Helovia” sparks Yves to life, but before he processes what this means (I’m here! I’m actually here!) the massive masked dunskin colt introduces himself and his brilliant blue dragon, Astarot and Zafir from the Dragon’s Throat. Yves smiles sheepishly, still painfully aware of the green foam around his lips and the lump of sourgrass sitting uncomfortably in his cheek. He offers his own nodded half-bow in a show of respect. He clears his throat and is warming up his vocal cords when a “Hullo” greets the gathering from above, followed by a small tumbling through the trees. Quite the study in contrast with the giant Astarot, the sprightly pegasus warns of a bear menace, leaving Yves both bemused and slightly concerned by the mental image of this breezy little creature in an altercation with a bear. Suddenly, the little one’s wings tickle Yves’ belly as he ducks under him, forcing a stifled giggle, the girly sound incongruous with his heavy masculine frame. “That tickles!” He slurs, the wad of sourgrass obscuring his accented speech. Pippin, the pegasus introduces himself, also from the Dragon’s Throat. A warrior? It would not be the first time Yves has been deceived by looks. He opts to keep his surprise to himself.

With all the hubbub, Yves fails to notice the arrival of the teal-accented mare. As if out of nowhere she appears, calling herself Lyanna from the World’s Edge. He is too impressed at her correct recognition of the sourgrass to stop himself from nodding excitedly, sending flecks of green foam flying. “I would have made myself more presentable if I knew there would be a welcome committee.” He half-mutters with another rueful grin.

The crowd finally seems to reach its plateau. “I am Yves, a traveling scholar.” He offers no more explanation for his arrival in Helovia – he can’t very well tell these strangers ‘well, my dead best friend told me to come here and everyone I know is either perished or lost, so where else would I go?’ He has looked for this place for so long, he had come to expect his arrival to be heralded with some great fanfare of pomp and circumstance; it is with relief and not disappointment that he realizes this is not the case.
Yves

OOC: Thanks for the welcome! And sorry about taking forever to reply – I made the mistake of starting this thread right before finals and got swamped. Spring break now!
@Cassius @Astarot @Pippigrin @Lyanna

mar

»› C A S S I U S ‹«

They emerge from the forests at all ends, from the sky even. All of them – he assumes – are here for the purpose of recruitment. The gray unicorn glances to each of the newcomers, shifting in his spot to accommodate for their presence – imaginary bubbles that span wide berths. And chafe, and rub against each other as they have drawn closer to the newcomer.

A nod is offered to Astarot and his dragon, offering a lame  - nearly sympathetic - grin in response. Quickly followed by the harried presence of a stout creature from the heavens. Cassius became tense at first, darting his gaze upwards, holding his breath as his jaws clamped down. Relief taking hold of his mind for the briefest of moments, laughing and shaking his head as the little one finally landed and greeted the group.

“A saucepan? I wonder what sorts of dishes he might make with it,” he mused plainly into the open – to no one in particular. Pressing his lips into a sheepish smile, followed by the delight of all the songs and tales he might impress about a bear and his pan. Thoughts that bore into his eyes and cast them off briefly into the caverns of his mind. Providing a slight, nearly invisible twinkle against his gaze. “What kind of bear was it?” Random perhaps, but the stallion imagines black bears preferred to cook sweets over savories; and the grizzlies preferred their back bacon.  

“Ahm… Cassius, of the Aurora Basin,” he offered to Pippigrin shortly after. Just as Lyanna makes her way from a distance.

It’s the strange stallion’s slur that breaks his fancied thoughts. Grunting as Cassius beheld the laughter and line of green bubbles residing on those lips. A small, however noticeable crease marks Cassius’ brow in a small frown. Lying juxtaposition from his stalwart grin. For safe measure he steps back from the offending sprays of bubbled, masticated – ‘who knows what’ - apparently it’s sourgrass.

But who knows?
And stifles a half nervous, half amused laugh underneath his breath. The stallion attempts politeness, over the instinctive cringe of bodily fluids. Thankfully there is more to the traveler – a scholar, he proclaims.

What do you study? The stallion wishes to say. About to open his mouth, though his lips part momentarily before they close. Perhaps he was too forward in the beginning, his questions – probing too much too quickly. Now, given the audience that they host there is much to consider.

Cassius softens his gaze on Yves, nodding curtly with his response. “Yves the scholar,” he murmurs to himself. Passing his eyes from the stallion’s charming features and roguish grin to consider the others.

How would it go?

There once was a Pip –
– A grin to his toothy smile
The bear, be known to prowl
The woods with an edge

Unbeknowest to our friend,
The saucepan, no more

Making pies, and delicious sin –
- aye
For feral grins
And beastly howls

Beware the culprit
The fiend of Helovia’s gates
A bear of dastardly theft and arson awaits

The stallion felt silly, and shuffled a hoof against the dry earth. He would wait and see what the stallion wished to know. Having breached these walls only some months ago, all the prodding and offers proved overwhelming. With a quiet, calming breath he settled in his spot. And listened for the curious voices of their companions instead.

@Astarot :: wow, this post was random. sorry... -dies-

Astarot & Zafir

Leaves and sticks rained down on them causing a shriek of outrage to burst from Zafir. Astarot ducked his head to save his eyes from the shrapnel. When the raining of twigs finally stops the duo look up to see what the hell was happening. A small form he recognized was circling above them yelling hello. He groaned softly and closed his eyes. He didn't have anything against the tiny stallion, but it didn't make a good impression to come crashing through the trees at a stranger. Still, it was kind of funny. Zafir rolled her scarlet eyes and brushed the pieces of tree from Astarot's broad back. He listened to her growling softly under her breath and he wished he could hear what she was thinking. In all honesty, it was probably a good thing he couldn't speak to her yet.

He emerged again talking about a bear that stole a sauce pan. 'What the hell is a sauce pan, and why would a bear want it?!" He held his tongue. Cassius spoke though asking a strange question, one that made almost as much sense as a the little man's rambling about a bear stealing something besides his hide. He glanced at Zafir, but she still looked pissed so he turned back to the stallions a smile on his face. Zafir's grumpiness amused him greatly. Ya it had been annoying, but like a fly, easy to push away.

Then the tiny man did something that made the larger cringe; he walked under the newcomer. His eyes shut tight once more as if in pain as his body tensed. He was sure the tiny stallion was about to go flying through the air. Heck,on good kick and he would surely be done for. His eyes only opened when the grey equine giggled and complained of it tickling. His body relaxed 'Sun God help me out here.' He sighed softly, "Hello Pipin, it's nice to actually meet you instead of just seeing you around." He smiled down at the tiny winged man.

To his surprise and please another steps from the underbrush, a mare this time. He smiles warmly at her and dips his head respectfully and Zafir looks her over slowly judging her more than the stallions. Satisfied she turned back to the main stallion, the foamy one. He couldn't help but think how pretty she was with her dark pelt and teal markings. She asked about sour-grass and he tilts his head curiously wondering what she is talking about. His eyes shift to the unknown grey then at the green foam. He smiles in understanding. He was chewing on sour-grass, why, he had no idea.

Finally the grey gives his name and his bone marked head dipped again warmly, "It's a pleasure Yves. This is the Threshold, it's the opening to Helovia." He paused to glance at everyone before speaking again, "This is where members of different herds come to bring travelers home with them. I assume that's why the rest of these nice people are here." He smiled at everyone then fell silent once more.
Talk
Words;; 518
OOC/Tags;; @Pippigrin And no problem Yves! We all get busy <3

That tickles!
"Oh! shall I do it again?" The hobbit queried, stepping forth to clamber under Yves's stomach once again, though stopped in his tracks when the bearded wise-one spoke of the saucepan and the bear. Cassuis's quiz sent Pippin deep into thought, and without much movement he finally responded with a cooing murmur that whistled only two words; "Perhaps pies?".
And then the great grey, ticklish stranger finally gave his name; it was Yves. Pippin gave a slight giggle, having no idea how it was spelt nor it's bohemian origins and only going by it's deceptive pronounciation. "Eeeeeeeeev?" He cheered "isn't that a girls name!?"

Ducking his head low, Pippigrin searched between the grey's legs for Yves's button; the vital instrument from which all men urinated from. "you're not a girl, you're a boy! Look, you have a button-"   Pippin chirped as he gestured his front-right hoof towards his new friend's phallus.

Turning his cranium towards the other from the throat, the warrior nodded towards the gent who spoke; this one was Astarot. "It's nice to meet you too!"
Though soon they were joined by a fourth, and this time it was not another gent but a rather striking woman. Pippin immediately felt intimidated, scooting closer to Cassius with his wings folded tightly against his rib cage. Silently he observed her and her precious mane, including every silken hair upon her head. How nice it would be to be that pretty.
Lyanna was her name; from the world's edge. Was everyone pretty from there? if so he'd have to make a wide berth of it.

Yves is so cool! your writing style is awesome <3 ps. pls excuse pippin confused over yves name! he thinks that because you pronounce it like Eve that it's a ladies name xD
@Lyanna

Lyanna the Windswept Posts: 313
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 11 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 5 years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Kyra

- sometimes in the wind of change -

He absolutely could tell her that his dead best friend told him to come here and he lost everyone else. Why? Because her dead big brother tells her to do things all the time, and she lost everyone else too. She gets it. Completely, totally gets it. Corbin’s voice makes her think she’s going crazy constantly. Reminding her of who she was, who she could be, that she could fight, that she could be strong, that she should live. Demanding in life and demanding in death. Probably, she shouldn’t be surprised. But mostly she assumes she’s just slightly crazy, and she doesn’t exactly tell people about this. So she also would blame Yves for not telling anyone.

There really is quite the welcoming committee, but she simply smiles warmly at him when he says he would have made himself more presentable. “I might be eating sourgrass, if I had passed some on my travels.” She gives him a conspiratorial wink, letting the conversation wash back over her at that point. So many stallions. “It’s a pleasure to meet you Yves.”

The young stallion from the Throat, with the dragon, gives him a nod and she returns it with a warm smile and a nod of her own. The blue dragon seems to study her longer, like she’s deciding if Lyanna desserves the wings on her back. Maybe. Lyanna might just be reading a whole lot into nothing, because she knows nothing of dragons except that they amaze her. The little stallion seems to stare at her too, and she really does feel like a fish out of water with all these boys. But she smiles at him and Cassius both, hoping her usual friendly smile will calm whatever has them staring.

She would be amazed if anyone told her it’s because they thought she was pretty. In Helovia, is she plain and simple. Not that she minds this fact, but it is a fact. She is average in build and average in height and simple in her design, and all those things are fine. “We could use some scholars in the Edge, if you have any interest in checking the place out. You don’t have to stay, but we’ll try to convince you. If you don’t mind my asking, you seem to know something of plants? I’m a healer, you see. I do love talking about plants.” She laughs lightly at herself, hoping maybe the small joke at her own expense would ease the various tensions running around this odd welcoming group.

- we find our true direction -

lyanna

@Yves

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Kiki

World's Edge Stallion
Grace

Ah, the Threshold. Thanks to Astarot, the crowd makes more sense now. Like many from the brainier set, common sense is not Yves’ forte – in all those months on the road, it has not occurred to him that there would be some liminal space where Helovia begins and the known world ends. His brain had skipped over this awkward pseudo-courtship phase and occupied itself with imagining a comfortably mundane life in this safe new home. Why he assumes Helovia will be safe is anyone’s guess – Yves himself has not bothered subjecting this assumption to any critical analysis, preferring to spend his time on more concrete, empirical ideas rather than the abstract, unknowable realm of “what if?”.

Yves offers no commentary on this bear situation. There are bears in the woods everywhere; this is not a particularly exciting revelation to him. That one was bold enough to steal Pippin’s saucepan is maybe more noteworthy, but regardless, Yves has nothing to add to the discussion.

His perceived sex, however, is most definitely something he has opinions about. He is flustered by Pippin’s probing questions, but more amused than offended. The cheerful little pegasus is charming almost despite himself. Clearing his throat, it is his matter-of-fact professorial voice (only moderately encumbered by the wad of sourgrass) that explains, “Yves is a masculine name in my home – it is different from the word for night. Yves means ‘yew’ – a terribly poisonous conifer that can cause near-instant death, though it has some medicinal use when prepared by an exceptionally skilled healer, one far more talented than me. Small red berries, a little slimy in texture. Best steer clear…” He trails off as he realizes this explanation of the fatal properties of his namesake might not give his greeters the best impression of him. Hastily, he adds, “Ah. I’m perfectly safe, though.” What? That was a weird thing to say. Way to not make yourself seem suspicious, Yves. Moving right along…

Herds are also not something Yves had been counting on in Helovia. His past has been spent in isolated nomadic groups; stationary, habitable herdlands are a welcome novelty. How nice it must be to have some nice, stable place where one can dedicate themselves to their studies… With little more than names and vague compass directions by which to judge them, Yves wonders how he is ever supposed to know where to go. By name alone, the Aurora Basin seems most inherently appealing, but the three stallions’ recruiting efforts are doomed as soon as Lyanna offers to talk about plants. Yves’ eyes light up as he again nods at the mare – this time, at least, he is restrained enough to not send foam flying.

“Well, assuming my name hasn’t scared you off –” (oh no, he is making it worse, please stop) “– I do like to study plants. I would love to learn more about Helovia’s vegetation from you at the World’s Edge.” Yves acknowledges Cassius, Astarot, and Pippin again. It seems there is no easy way to turn down an offer as generous as the ones they have made, and his default reaction to make some joking comment feels inappropriate. Instead, he smiles apologetically and mutters, “Until we meet again, gentlemen?”
Yves

@Cassius @Astarot @Pippigrin @Lyanna
OOC: I wanted to try to wrap up since I dragged out my first reply - hope that's okay! And thanks again for the welcome, everybody. <3

mar

»› C A S S I U S ‹«

An air of disappointment hits Cassius. None that blame his companions, rather, sets his ire with himself when the decision is made. With a quiet sigh the stallion nods to Yves. The lines of his face settling more deeply against his façade, as if some heavy weight has finally settled against his shoulders. Failure never tasted so bitter before.

“Perhaps. May you enjoy your studies with miss Lyanna.” Doubts cloud his mind. His words are less genial, and lack a genuine kindness that hit the air dull. Perhaps he should have spoke of the healers in their herd, and their great expertise in their medicines. Or of the weavers, who constructed all sorts of woven materials for the uses of their herd members. Alas these words remain unspoken, and lost in this very moment.

Preferring to escape the congregation and leaving Yves to his new adventure, Cassius peels himself from the rambunctious pegasi. Finding that, for the first time in a long time, he is yearning the threshold of his home. Eager to return to the coolness of the mountains, and the anonymity of the caverns – sequestered to thought, to explore all that he has yet to find and discover.

Though he doubts he’ll be able to escape the gravity of his loss, at least he can appreciate the scenery. The God of the Spark cannot blame him for his efforts, regardless of his weakness. Or so the gray hopes.

@Astarot :: no problemo :3

Pippin listened somewhat cluelessly as Yves spoke of his name's origins; it made the hobbit wonder where on earth his name had come from. Was his a ladies name too? Chewing upon his lip momentarily, The small gent gave a gruff sigh and shook his crown. It was pointless thinking about such trivial things - names were unimportant, and yves was his freidn regardless of whether his name was meant ot be for a lady or not.

When lyanna spoke, it again caused Pippigrin to hush. Perhaps he looked rude, stopping and blatantly staring at her, though it was really not his intention. He was partly annoyed that sh could come along and steal the show with her prettiness, and also partly annoyed that he couldn't make people smile like she could just by saying hello - if he ever made someone smile upon meeting them it was generally because they thought he was silly and his height (or lack there of) was funny.

Glancing to his other new-found friends, Astarot and Cassius, Pippigrin sighed deeply once more at the inevitable; of course Eeev'd chose to go with Lyanna. Pretty Lyanna. Whatever happened to... what was it? Bros before clothes? Something like that. giving a short lived kick in the dirt, Pip gave one last disgruntled snort, this time walking directly underneath Cassius's stomach. "C'mon Cass" He murmured, then gesturing westward to Astarot.

Winding away through the trees, be it with company or not, Pip was stil sad to say goodbye - so still, he couldn't help but give one last coo.
"Bros before clothes!"

<3 have fun!
Pippin thinks that bros before hoes is actually bros before clothes.

@Cassius and @Astarot for mentions, but Pippin has left the scene!!

Astarot & Zafir

Astarot watched everyone silently as they talked back and forth. He spoke up curiously at Lyanna's next words, "What is sourgrass exactly?" He turned his scarlet and blue eyes between Yves and Lyanna curiously. Why would you want to eat something that makes your mouth drip green foam? 'Must be some great stuff.' His ears pricked as Yves spoke about the origin of his name.  It was interesting for sure. An encouraging smile brushed his features as the stallion tried not to sound awkward, and failed. Trying to ease his nerves he shared his own story, "My mother thought very highly of me and named me after a prince of hell." He chuckled his smile large and bright.

His attention turns the lady as she offers Yves to come study at the Edge. He kept smiling, even though he was sure she had hooked the dappled. That's just how it worked in the Threshold, if you didn't have something to give, it was hard to get anything. He didn't mind where the stallion went as long as he would be happy there.

He nods his head as Yves agrees to go home with Lyanna. His smile softens as the stallion gives them all an apologetic smile. He watches the tiny winged man and the horned grey leave. He waited till they were out of earshot before addressing Yves, "I hope you're studies go well in the Edge. If you ever wish to come study something else, I am sure you will be welcomed at the Throat." He looked at Lyanna as well, "I'm sure our healers would enjoy showing you some plants that grow in the desert." He gave a slight bow to both of them, "It was a pleasure to meet both of you, safe travels." Zafir screeched and took wing as they head home.

Talk
Words;; 306
OOC/Tags;; @Lyanna <3