the Rift

[OPEN] Sweet heart, bitter heart [questing]

Isopia the Mountain That Knows Posts: 780
Dragon's Throat Apostle atk: 6.5 | def: 10 | dam: 8.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: 3 - is now aging slowly HP: 90 | Buff: NUMB
Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd

In truth, the helmet did not look importantly differently to Isopia than when she had begun. This purification process, while making the enchanted helmet look a great deal cleaner, did not actually appear to be doing anything to the item. It worked just the same as it had when she had decided on its enchantments (she had checked), and so despite the fact that she was following her Father's instructions to the letter (and then some), she was concerned that nothing was actually happening.

>>Maybe just a task.<< Hubris had suggested, holding the stick bathed in fire in one of his ice-covered hands. Isopia considered this, and, after only a moment's thought, decided that yes, he was probably right. She very much doubted that the Gods - that any of htem - actually required assistance to do the things of which they were asked, or summoned. Did the God of the Earth really need the helmet cleansed? Maybe, but certainly he could do it himself. Surely this was just penance for the mistake that she had made.

The demi-goddess found this conclusion both annoying and amusing at the same time.

"Alright. Last time Hubris." She said, and the bronze dragon nodded. He reached forward, touching the fire to the helmet and, for the third time, it began to glow and blaze as the flames from the Dragon's Throat slowly enveloped it.

Watching it, Isopia took a breath, waiting for the flames to gradually die out.

ISOPIA
IN REALITY'S SHADOW THE BLIND SEE BEST
Image Credits

For Isopia's quest. This is the third time the helmet has been on fire!

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here

Kiada Posts: 181
World's Edge Nurse
Filly :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 2 years - Birdsong
Khairi :: Leucistic Lammergeier :: Paralyze Skylark
mama bore a girl with a gun for a mouth.

The girl had an inkling to visit the place where so much of her life had started. This was the place she and her other half had found their own other half’s. Where they had found Khairi and Keusi, two feisty creatures, a canine and a scavenger, to complete the different parts of Kiada and Kianzo’s souls that had become so different over time. They were the same, when they came here and found those beautiful eggs waiting. They had moved so beautifully in sync, spoke the same sentences, dreamed the same questions. But life had a funny way of messing up what was comfortable.

When Kianzo was kidnapped, all Kiada had left was Khairi. The two of them searched and scoured what felt like every inch of these lands for the beautiful mirrored face of her brother. And yet, they always came up empty. And when Kianzo returned, life was different. Stress overcome the duo as Kianzo chose to try and dictate what the filly did, who she wanted to be around, perhaps at one point even the thoughts she had. But he had no right to do such things.

And then they drifted.

Yet, the girl still managed to grow nostalgic. She yearned for simpler days before any of it happened, when Khairi still didn’t have a name and they had slipped away from their mother’s side for more interesting adventures. Now, she was on her own. Her father too busy with leading a herd, her mother too busy with another stupid child (a broken one, at that) and Kianzo had his own agenda to attend to. And so she was left alone to her own devices once more, slowly following the rabbit hole which was Kaos.

Instead of visiting the Marsh, she chose to come to the Labyrinth, returning to the place where her and Kianzo had found their companions. And she stayed there for a decent amount of time before deciding it was time to make the trek back to the World’s Edge. However, as she began to make her way out of the maze, a brilliant light and crackling sound began to distract both Kiada and Khairi. The bird swooped by, landing in a tree some ways away from the gathering surrounding an object on fire as Kiada made her way there – her flames flickering and shifting into deer, wondering what exactly was happening. As she came closer, she spotted a vaguely familiar being, one she may have seen somewhere but couldn’t put a connection to it.

Her brilliant blue gaze lingered on the fire for a moment before flickering up to Isopia with a tilt of her onyx dipped head. “What are you doing?” She questioned flatly, wanting to get straight to the point without the little “hello’s” and “how are you’s”.

x

@Isopia sorry for the novel o-o

IT'S SAID SHE'S MADE OF STORM CELLS
AND A WILD WOLF'S HUNGRY HEART,
THAT SHE'S LEARNT THE LIGHTNING'S SECRET
TO RIPPING DARKENED SKIES APART.

Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd

Isopia had been so consumed in watching the flames as they licked and covered the helmet that she hadn't noticed the mare or her companion as they arrived. Spinning as the sound of bent grass and the breath of another reached her ears, Isopia was surprised to see a mare with fire lapping across her top-line. But not just fire. Were those ...

deer?

Wonders never ceased.

Out of everyone in Helovia, Isopia was least likely to take offense at a lack of formal greeting. "Cleansing this helmet." She replied, her voice rising and falling with its usually professorial lilt. Glancing down, she noticed that the fire was nearly gone. Nodding to Hubris, the bronze dragon began to nudge the helmet towards the water. Then, out of nowhere, a small golden shape rushed forward, collided with the helmet, and toppled into the water. Looking quite pleased with himself, Babel surfaced a few seconds later, bobbing in the pool, his impossibly black eyes glinting with smugness. "Well done." Isopia said, her tone bored, before looking back to Kiada.

"It's for a quest, from the God of the Earth. They have so much power, I'm almost positive these tasks aren't necessary.." She exhaled, shaking her head slightly. "Have you ever been on a quest before? Were you assigned arduous tasks?"

ISOPIA
Image Credits

@Kiada

World's Edge Nurse

Kiada remained standing, watching the fire as it slowly began to die out. When Isopia’s voice reached her ears, the girl nodded slightly. “Makes sense.” She noted, tilting her head as a bronze dragon began to push the helmet into the water. Then, another creature, gilded in color appeared from the water. A small giggle escaped Kiada’s lips at the aspect, and with Isopia’s own words at the act. Soon, after deciding the environment was fine for now, Khairi swooped from the tree branch and landed on top of Kiada’s withers. The flames molded and moved around the bird, illuminating him as his red eyes inspected the helmet as vapor began to rise from the helmet.

Then, Isopia’s attention turned to the girl and her vulture, before asking about a quest. Immediately, Kiada’s thoughts were consumed with the tedious tasks that Isopia spoke of, on her own quest from the God of the Earth. Kiada remembered the god, from when she went with her father and twin for her father’s quest. When Isopia asked if she had been on a quest, she shook her head slightly in a fashion of saying no.

I haven’t been on one, no. But I met the God of the Earth when my father went on his own quest. Earth wanted him to gather some plants and then pickpocket someone.” She reminisced, a slight laugh escaping her pink splotched lips again. “Which I find to be a hilarious idea, especially if you know who my father is.” She added in with a slight roll of her shoulders. “However, I do wish to go on a quest. I'm going to ask for Kaos. I want to see if he'll show up, and what I might be able to learn of him.” She spoke thoughtfully, her gaze landing once again on Isopia, wondering what her reaction would be to this information. She left it open-ended. Wanting to try and see which way the woman might take her idea.

x

@Isopia

'Pickpocket?" Isopia almost stammered, her golden eyes suddenly becoming comicaly round as her large black eye lashes bounces up and down with surprise. Her father told someone that they needed to steal something in order to get what they had asked him for?

The demi-goddess swallowed hard, wondering if in fact Kaos was not the God that they should all be worried about. If the Earth was abandoning his herdland and giving out quests like that? Surely something was very, very wrong.

Isopia was surprised to hear that Kiada wanted a quest from Kaos not because everyone was supposed to hate him, but because it hadn't occurred to her before. "That sounds very interesting. He did say he was here to help." She acknowledged with a shrug of her tall shoulders. "So you don't hate him as the others do?" Isopia continued, appearing genuinely interested to hear the mare's reply. It was resfreshing, really. So many simply wanted to know how to kill him, as if that would just solve all their problems.

On on the back of the crimson pool, a golden face suddenly emerged. Babel had left the helmet in the water (he didn't particularly care about Isopia's quest), and scurried up the bank, black eyes fixed on the bird that sat amidst the flames on Kiada's back. Despite his youth, Babel was clever enough to know that lunging for the bird would be a bad idea. Still, that didn't stop his mouth from salivating. Hubris however who did care about Isopia's quest, sighed, and reached a clawed hand into the water, trying to create a small current that would pull the helmet to where he could grab it.

ISOPIA
Image Credits

@Kiada

World's Edge Nurse

Pickpocket?” She heard Isopia say, and she nodded with a comedic smile. “He told him to give it back afterward, but the idea in itself was strange. He quested to get better magic, to be able to protect his family.” She rolled her shoulders briefly, as if it didn’t bother her if he could protect her or not. “We were attacked by griffins when we tried to have a friendly game with all the foals in the Edge.” She offered the mare the information willingly, unsure how it could turn around and backfire to her despite attempting to be more conservative with the things she offered strangers.

Though, Kiada was relieved when Isopia acknowledged her idea of questing for Kaos. Perhaps she wasn’t as crazy as everyone else thought she was? She didn’t want him dead. She admired the power that resonated around him, how he could trick and conspire people into doing his bidding. Of how he could make rules and break them as easily as lifting a hoof. It was something she aspired to; to be taken seriously despite the darkness that often lingered in her heart. “No, I don’t.” She admitted quietly, lifting her head slightly as if she was prideful that she didn’t.

The others don’t think the way that I do. But I think there’s something more about him. Perhaps he caused all that destruction to shake up the world, to show everyone they aren’t invincible.” She pondered, thinking out loud. “I think he knows more than he lead on, and I think we’ll never know his true meaning if he dies before we get the chance.” She noted, eyes glancing down to Babel for a moment before returning to Isopia. “What do you think?” She questioned, wondering what her thoughts on the matter might be, feeling that the mare wouldn’t belittle her for thinking such thoughts.

x

@Isopia

"So you live in the Edge then? I do too. I"m surprised I haven't run into you before."

Although the mare confirmed that the quest required giving the item back, it still struck Isopia as being profoundly out of character. What was the point of forcing someone to be a successful pickpocket, even if they didn't get to keep what it was they took? Although the idea bothered the Mountain, she was more much interested about what the mare had to say regarding Kaos.

She turned her attention fully to Kiada now.  The others don’t think the way that I do, as the mare spoke, Isopia was surprised at just how many similarities there seemed to be between the two. The lack of upkeeping social requirements, the bluntness, the tentative approval of Kaos (or at least the lack of complete suspicion).

"He didn't even cause that much destruction, when you think about it." Isopia countered, nodding her head in agreement. "He had us all cleanse a land that our Gods had just..left. And if it's true that Kaos is the Rift Gods merged into one being, you can see why he would be upset." Her slender shoulders shrugged again.

Babel, with a wicked grin, ran towards Hubris, knocking the larger and older bronze dragon into the water as he tried to deftly reach out towards the helmet. Hubris landed with a splash and an indignant trill, surfacing to look towards his younger sibling with a mixture of surprise and sadness on his kind face.

ISOPIA
Image Credits

@Kiada

World's Edge Nurse

As Isopia informed Kiada that she lived in the Edge, the girl tilted her head curiously. “Really?” She murmured, ears flickering in curiosities as the deer began to flicker stronger. “I tend not to stay home much anymore. My parents weren’t pleased about my feelings on Kaos.” She noted, shifting her weight to stand more comfortably in the lush grasses of the labyrinth. “My mother is Rexanna, and my father is Tembovu the Elephant King. I am Kiada, however, since I didn’t introduce myself before.” Her voice was calm, thoughtful as she gazed upon Isopia with the information she had offered in return.

Khairi was entirely intrigued by the dragons, his head tilting quickly to and fro with each movement from the gold and bronze creatures. His red raptor eyes gleaming from the light as he began to try and speak to the dragons. Opening his wings slightly, he trilled a haunting, scream-like sound from his throat that seemed guttural and distressing all the same.

Though Kiada’s mind was lulling over what Isopia had said, gaining a bit of information on the Rift and what the Gods of Helovia had left and taken. “I was born after the Rifts. No one speaks of it for too long, so I don’t really know what happened. That’s partially why I’m more curious on Kaos’ take of the matter. I want to know if the Helovian Gods were right in taking them, even if they tell us it was with good intentions.” Her head shifted toward the helmet briefly once again, uncertain of what kind of information Kaos might even offer the child. “Were you there? During the battles and what happened after?” She questioned, her eyes remaining on the helmet in wonder.

x

@Isopia

Hubris happily returned the bird's cry with a melodic one of his own. The bronze dragon spread his leathery wings, beating them in rhythm with his cries as a large smile spread across his draconic features. Babel however, still just peered unnervingly at the feathered thing, wondering if it would be a hassle to try and eat it with its feathers on, or if he would have to remove them first.

"I am called the Mountain that Knows." She offered, using her moniker rather than her real name, as she was want to do.

"Ahh." Isopia said, as if the mare's lineage cleared everything up. While Isopia did think that Tembovu was rather clever, she also assumed he was probably obligated to take a negative stance on Kaos' appearance in Helovia. Although she'd never met Rexanna, as Tembovu's mate (she assumed), she probably was forced into much the same position. Outwardly anyways.

"Yes, I was there." Isopia said at last, as Kiada seemed to be finished speaking. "Our Gods left, saying that we had outgrown Helovia and that the lands needed to be expanded. So they returned, bringing pieces of another world with them: this place, the Halycon Flats, the Riptide Isles, and the Blood Falls. They said the lands that they had come from were broken and ruled by tyrants. That they were full of disease and that by bringing these four lands and their inhabitants, they were doing something good. But the Rift Gods came too, and four terrible battles ensued. "

Isopia looked to where Hubris had the helmet. "That was created out of the skull of one of them. A tiger god." She said emotionlessly, starting at the object which had now been 'cleansed'. She shook her head with a sigh.

"Perhaps the Rift Gods were being terrible, but is it our place to step in? Our place to kill them?" Her shoulders shrugged indicating that she didn't know the answer to this. "And thus, Kaos was born. "

ISOPIA
Image Credits

@Kiada

World's Edge Nurse

Khairi was extremely pleased with Hubris’ own call back. His wings spread and beating with his call. Khairi, meanwhile, along Kiada’s back, did the same. His own pale wings extending and flapping while his crimson eyes shifted from the bronze dragon to the unnerving gold one. His head moved close to Babel, still a safe distance away on the girl’s back, and opened his beak slightly, cooing in his haunting tone until he clamped his jaw shut with an audible clack. No matter how much the vulture wanted to see Hubris, with Babel’s unnerving gaze, he wasn’t going to chance anything.

Kiada nodded to Isopia, filing the name away for later – uncertain why she didn’t just give a name like everyone else, and if it was a name given or one simply chosen. Would she be able to get away calling herself something and having others begin to use it instead of her simple name? It seemed like a hassle, in all honesty. But the girl didn’t dwell on it for long, as Isopia began to answer her questions. Happily, Kiada’s gaze remained on the Mountain that Knows, listening eagerly with perked ears, waiting to be a sponge that soaked up every bit of information.

I was born in the Blood Falls.” She murmured quietly as she listened, nodding along as Isopia continued. “Hmm.” She added in as well, eyes trailing to the helmet as Isopia mentioned it and the god it had come from. Then, with a question and a shrug of her shoulders, Kiada’s gaze returned to the Mountain with a small frown growing on her lips. “I don’t think it was.” She noted, eyes gleaming thoughtfully. “What if they weren’t so bad? What if it was as if the Gods of another land had taken word of how our gods treat those that disobey and chose to extract us and kill them?” She questioned, shrugging her shoulders as well. “I don’t blame him for being upset. I would be too. I do find it incredible how calm he was as Kisamoa before his reveal. Hardly anyone seemed to suspect anything. Even when the Goddess appeared, it seemed as if it was normal.” She pondered quietly, eyes growing distant with her thoughts.

x

@Isopia

Isopia's quad-horned skull nodded. "Yes. I am positive that there are other cultures on other continents who would view our ways as barbaric. We have so much civil disagreement in Helovia that there's simply no way that our way of life would be uniformly accepted by others ... So while our Gods might have rightly (or wrongly) viewed the Rifitan Gods as being awful, surely someone might say the same of us. And if we were attacked, we would fight back. And if our Gods were slain, many of us would rise up to defend them..." Isopia's slender shoulders shrugged as she considered what Kiada said next.

"Indeed. The fact that the Goddess appeared seems to suggest that she sanctions Kaos' actions...or perhaps just that she knew what he was all along. She is far more clever and long-sighted than most give her credit for." She concluded.

Hubris' trill broke the silence, as he mentally directed Isopia's attention to where Babel was still hungrily eyeing the bird on Kiada's back. Drool had begun to bubble from his golden lips, causing Isopia to frown. font color="#e3d5ab">"Well, our task here is complete. I'm sure I will see you around the Edge. If I learn anything more about Kaos I'll seek you out." Such an offer was not normal from the demi-goddess, but she found she liked how the young mare thought about things; especially things as controversial as Kaos.

Thanks lady! <3

ISOPIA
Image Credits

@Kiada