the Rift

[OPEN] Ouchies [Foal Lessons]

Lyanna the Windswept Posts: 313
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 11 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 5 years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Kyra

let the winds erase me,

like the memory of a kiss

She makes her way to the garden. It’s late morning, but she’s had a few trips to make, gathering some of the herbs that can be found growing naturally around the Edge. If she was going to teach the foals about healing, she wanted to do so with what they had readily available. But of course, she brings it all to the gardens, to show them what the healers grow there as well.

It’s later than she’d hope when she finally calls out to the Edge, inviting any of the foals interested in learning about healing to come join it. Thankfully, most of the day is still ahead of her, and hopefully it’s early enough no one interested will have set off for the day. Though there would be more lessons in the future, including a lesson for all of the Edge. Though she wouldn’t find if adults showed up as well. Likely, she’d end up teaching them a nearly similar lesson.

As she waits, butterflies begin to dance in her stomach. She’s nervous, she realizes, afraid to do a bad job teaching the children of the Edge about healing. It’s strange to feel nervous. She’s grown up her whole life in front of others, eyes drawn to her. This isn’t new, but somehow, it seems more important. Healing is rarely life or death, but it can be. There are herbs in this garden that can thin blood when someone’s heart isn’t working right. There are no poisons here, simply because they do not grow them, but there are poisons growing in the wild.

She shakes her head, clearing away the worries. They were going to start with some basic first aid anyway. What to do for stuffy noses or small cuts. There would be more lessons as the seasons progressed, leading up to what to do in those life or death situations. But for now, she figures she will start with the things they are most likely to use. And so, reassuring herself that it will be fine, she settles in to wait.

lyanna

let these waters takes me

Image © Rhiaan

Foal lessons for anyone interested in learning about healing!

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Kiki

Yael Posts: 186
World's Edge Seer atk: 7.5 | def: 11 | dam: 2.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.2 :: 39 - appears 8 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zani :: Serval :: None Astor
Teeeeeeechnically, Yael is not a foal. Technically. However, In terms of natural healing know-how, she might as well be. There’s no shame in learning new tricks (this old lady isn’t dead or dumb yet!). Knowing full well that she is likely to be the only adult at the lesson, Yael puts on an optimistic and happy appearance, fairly bouncing towards the garden and the teal-edged healer. When she arrives, the little golden mare’s eyes widen at the sight of the blooming garden. It’s beautiful. How had she never visited here before?

After taking a quick look around, looking at the different plants herbs, she greets her friend with an abundance of enthusiasm, as if she were still a child, herself. ”Good Morning, Lyanna! I xope eet ees alright t’at I join your lesson. I probably know as much as ze cheeldren, you see…” After a pause, she continues, “And I promees I shall be very kiet and stand een ze back.” This is for foals, after all. Yael is crashing the party. At the very least, she is a decent child-wrangler, and could be counted on to keep the foals in line if necessary. Though she didn’t really think it would come to that.

yael

Image | Background

Please only tag in starter posts, or if the thread is getting dusty
Force and magic allowed, no death please

Maude Posts: 140
World's Edge Filly
Filly :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: Yearling
Bunnie

She was so late!

Bye, mommy!” she shouts over she shoulder as she leaves, already charging out of the clearing, and out towards the gardens, her pale, rippled hair streaming out behind her as she wove through the forest. Mist breaks wildly about her ankles as she tries to make up for lost time, wondering why she had decided to take a nap in the first place…

Bouncing to a stop before the blue trimmed healer, the girl smiles sheepishly in apology for her tardiness, before realizing that it’s just her, and a woman she recognizes from fighting the ants, for the sake of the horrible spiders. She had been the one to get the magic from the Queen, but she also hadn’t tried to fight the beautiful Ant Queen, either. Though a mild resentment of everyone who’d been in that clearing lingered in her heart, especially for the three who had attacked the vibrant insect mother, Maude feels a good bit of reconciliation in the fact that the golden pegasus had not attacked the Queen. She also tries to rationalize that the bug would not have gifted her shiny, blue magic if the mare was not good in her heart.

So she doesn’t step away from the stranger, merely looks at her, her vibrant smile slightly tarnished, before she looks back to Lyanna.

Sorry I’m late, miss Lyanna!” she chimes, looking around for her other friends, and not finding them; she’d really expected at least Gawen to be here already! “or am I?

Art by TheCallyBear@ DA
Hold onto this lullaby, even when the music's gone.

Kyra

let the winds erase me,

The first to arrive is Yael, and Lyanna gives the small golden mare a warm smile. “Of course I don’t mind,” she says. Because really, the more the merrier. And besides, Yael was part of the healer’s ranks anyway. There is not reason she shouldn’t be there, or anyone else. Lyanna still needed to organize adult lessons as well, though she planned to go over slightly more dangerous herbs and their antidotes as a topic for that meeting. Largely how to administer antidotes, because she did not trust Kaos and whatever he might be up to.

Maude is the next to arrive, and to Lyanna’s slight disappointment, the only one. In fact, Lyanna hadn’t seen Gawen or any of their nurses around lately. She knew their ranks were sorely lacking, but still, she hadn’t expected quite such a poor turnout. Perhaps she needed to frequent the Threshold more, and spend less time tending the garden. “It seems Maude that you are our star pupil.”

She gestures then to a few different herbs fanned out on the ground. “I thought we could go over the uses for our more common plants in the Edge. That way, if anyone in the Edge needs help, you will be able to identify and use some readily available items.” She gestures first to a small pile of items clearly pulled from a cedar tree. “Each piece of the cedar tree can be used for different things. If you have the time, or access to the garden, the oil of the cedar tree can be used topically as antiseptic and a sedative. For quicker uses, the tips of the leaves can be soaked in water and drunk to treat coughs. The leaves can also be broken down into a topical infusion and used to treat most skin conditions.”

She pauses for a moment before gesturing to the next pile, which is very clearly a pile of moss. “Sphagnum moss,” she says, pointing to a green almost fuzzy-tree like piece of moss, “retains water and can be used for drinking water in times of need. Many other mosses can as well, but sphagnum can literally be wrung out, so it also serves as a rather useful sponge for cleaning wounds. All the mosses in the Edge can be used for dressing wounds as well, as they are naturally sterile.”

Lastly, she nods to the final pile of ferns. The first one she points to is a coarse-textured, medium to large-sized leafy green piece. “Sensitive fern can be eaten to treat infections and to help restore a mother’s body after giving birth. It can be used topically to treat sores as well. Bracken fern, though it looks similar, has larger leaves and can be eaten to help with weakness and ease headaches.”

It was quite a lot all at once. So she waits for a moment before adding, “Questions? Or things in particular you want to know about? If not, I was thinking a little quiz perhaps?”

lyanna

Image © Rhiaan

@Yael @Maude

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

Yael Posts: 186
World's Edge Seer atk: 7.5 | def: 11 | dam: 2.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.2 :: 39 - appears 8 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zani :: Serval :: None Astor
Sometimes it’s awkward being the oldest (by leaps and bounds) ‘learner’ in the herd, and the embarrassment strikes Yael at the oddest times. She knows there’s no shame in taking on a new stage in life, in studying and absorbing information she didn’t know before. If someone were to ask how to magically heal someone, she could probably walk them through the steps of knitting muscle fibers together and cauterizing wounds - in feeling for the body’s damage with a second sight- but this is an entirely different art, and one she’d never had to rely on. It requires precise knowledge of dosing and various usages (oh the memorization!) of specific parts of plants.

And she’d thought the body was complicated. Sheesh.

Though the aurelian pegasus has always been one to adapt, Lyanna moves through the plants and usages much more quickly than she’d imagined. It isn’t a problem, per se, Yael just… isn’t prepared. Even at this most basic level, she finds herself questioning how to do things. After Lyanna finishes, she clears her throat a little bit and asks, “Ahhhh… xow do you get oil from ze tree. And vhat about ze cedar bark? Ees eet of use?” Because oil extraction sounds like a tedious and delicate process - one that also seems rather important to know about.

yael

Image | Background

@Lyanna  
@Maude  

Ahhh Kyra don't hate me for that question, haha.

Please only tag in starter posts, or if the thread is getting dusty
Force and magic allowed, no death please

Maude Posts: 140
World's Edge Filly
Filly :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: Yearling
Bunnie

Beaming with pride when Miss Lyanna praises her for her responsibility, the filly’s dainty head lifts, and her ears focus in all that much more. If she really was the star pupil, then that meant she had to live up to that reputation, right? It certainly wouldn’t do to have a fall from grace within her first year in the field, after all. That was something you usually spent your whole life trying to avoid, or so the stories she’d heard had gone.

So, when Lyanna gestures to the arrangement of herbs she’s brought, Maude focuses her attention in on them. She sees bark, fern, and moss, and is pretty sure she can come up with at least one use for each, if she’s asked, having spent at least half of her total time on Loorien to this point studying plants. Often, she missed out on adventures her friends had, but that was okay, she supposed, though there were just as many times that she had begrudgingly trudged to the greenhouse, especially before Katua had disappeared.

Now, there wasn’t much else to do, really. Zubari was always out doing something far away, and Gawen was so shy, he was sometimes impossible to find. Some days, she really wished her brothers would grow up enough that they could move to the Edge to play with her already.

She already knows about cedar, what with conifers and evergreens being among the first things she was taught about (besides, obviously, what plants were dangerous to her), mostly because they do so much and were literally everywhere. As far as the ginger and cream darling had noticed, every land in Helovia she had visited had some sort of pine or cedar tree, and they almost all had sap with antiseptic properties, and needles that made really tasty teas.

What she didn’t know, however, was that the moss all over the Edge was naturally clean! Looking at the soft stuff with wonder, she can’t help but think of the stuff as being magical, in a way. How else could it naturally purify toxins and bacteria? Most of the time, it took a healer to do that!

She sighs, of course, when it turns to the fern – her greatest nemesis. Though she was often sure she had figured out which was which, they seemed quite intent on making her victories short lived. No sooner did she think the Lady Fern was this, and the Royal that, before she realized she’d got them muddled. So, that Sensitive Fern looks like Bracken Fern literally makes her want to just kick the plants clear across the clearing. Instead, however, she stares at them, studying, for perhaps the millionth time, the seemingly exactly the same plants.

Looking at Yael when she asks her question, wondering if she can tell the difference between the stupidly similar fern fronds, or not, Maude happy to admit that she already knows how to get cedar oil. However, she doesn’t want to steal Lyanna’s moment, either, and simply smiles smugly, moving her weight from hoof to hoof, doing her best to keep from blurting out the answer.

It gets easier when she thinks of a question on her own, the ferns (caught out of the corner of her eye as she wiggles) dampening her grin, somewhat.

How can you tell any of the stupid ferns apart?” she asks, sincerity leaking from her pale green eyes as she searches Lyanna’s face imploringly (her father, thus far, had simply argued back that they didn’t seem the same at all, and she should actually look. She’d quit asking him after that, because she had looked, darn it), “they all look like, well, ferns.

Art by TheCallyBear@ DA

@Lyanna @Yael
Hold onto this lullaby, even when the music's gone.

Kyra

let the winds erase me,

She laughs slightly at Yael’s hesitation to ask the question, but not at Yael. “That is a really great question,” she says, meaning it. She still hasn’t found a great way to do this without an actual distiller, something she’s only heard of in rumors. She’s not entirely sure such an apparatus actually exists, though it sounds like something a combination of the Edge and Throat healers could make. “I haven’t found a great way to do this with what we have, but you can distill the leaves and bark down to produce the oils. The glass jars work as a receiving vehicle, and you just have to boil the cedar with some water and collect the condensation. Ice works to help cool everything, so a nice trip to the north or waiting till winter makes it easier. They really should just make a distiller, it would be easier.

Then she turns to Maude’s question with another friendly smile. “Also a good question. I stared at those ferns for way too long when I first moved here, that’s how.” She says it with a light laugh, making something of a joke. Though it’s not exactly untrue. “Take a look at the bracken fern,” she says, gesturing to one of the ferns on the ground before her. “The leaves on this one are spread out, and the actual leaves themselves are often more oval shaped than divided. If you look at the sensitive fern,” and now she nods to that one. “The leaves are much more like daggers with spikes. The differences between most ferns are pretty small, I admit, but usually studying the leaves and their patterns will show you which is which.”

She pauses for a moment before adding, “Does that help answer your questions?” she asks. “We can always go find some more species of ferns to differentiate.” She says, her grin playful, but of course, she actually would be happy to spend the rest of the day teaching them the difference between ferns.

lyanna

Image © Rhiaan

@Yael @Maude
I totally know how humans get essential oils.... :/

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki