the Rift

What Child Am I?

Levitz Posts: 3
Unclaimed
Colt :: Equine :: 15 hands :: 2 Years
DinoPileUp

Levitz
I should stop before I start, but the only thing stronger than my head is my heart

With the trees casting lengthy shadows on the ground, Levitz was trotting through the Threshold, ears pinned straight up to catch any exciting sound around him. He was carrying his head high and enjoying every ray from the rising sun that the leaves would allow to seep through. What was he looking for, really? He wasn’t sure himself. Perhaps a new friend, even though it’d be unlikely that anyone would be able to stand him for longer than one day. Maybe he was destined to be alone, but the thought of that terrified the young horse. Though he enjoyed the solitude, he didn’t like the feeling of being lost that came with it. He’d been feeling that for long enough, he thought. What he was hoping for was a companion who wouldn’t mind his fidgety nature. Somebody kind, warm and fixed in their ways. A reliable safe haven for when he would get tired of being the rebel all the time. Whomever he was setting himself up to meet, he was thrilled to cross paths with them.

Saoirse Posts: 55
Dragon's Throat Colt
Colt :: Tribrid :: 16.2 adult :: 3 seasons [Orangemoon]
mar

The boy finds himself far from home alone. The fear isn’t so bad this time, as he focuses on his goal for today. And surprisingly the winds, the air and the clouds are pleasant enough to enjoy. Finding himself above the earth, and drawing his eyes from below and beyond. He wants to follow that horizon to the ends of the earth, to the unknowns that twist away from Helovia.

But of course these fanciful thoughts are not as strong as his home. A land of heat and sandy dunes, of ocean that thickly scents his hide and sprinkles his fur with brine.

Perhaps he will find more than a mere stranger, more than an eager soul boundless, unattached and unburdened by the happenings of their world. Perhaps he will find a friend in those patches of forest and pastures.

As Saoirse flies above and past the Threshold, he circles the lands carefully – spying for potential bodies that hide between the greenery. He avoids the forms of adults for now, wary of their bulk and their potential for injury. But among the throngs of tree limbs, and sweetened pastures, he spots the colt from afar.

Moving, walking, and bouncing through the lands spurned by some unnatural power that kept him going. It sparked more than interest, that began pulling the youth further and further from the air. More than mere curiosity that thrummed heavily, longing to partake in that same energy that appeared to course through the stranger.

But of course Saoirse had not mastered flight just yet. And the constant movement of the youth below was starting to become a hassle for the young colt. Uncertain how to land without a clearing, or else risk breaking something in the wood; with a huff, the boy attempted to predict the boy’s direction. And took to landing in a pasture ahead of the body as it sprung further into foliage.

He held his breath, and braced his limbs for the lush grounds. Flailing his wings to slow his descent, but skidding across the lands regardless. The boy squealed as he touched the pastures. Tumbling across the earth and coming to a halt with breathy sighs and outstretched, feathered limbs. “When is that ever going to be easy?” He whined briefly, giving his ruddy head a shake and made to scan the terrain.

Those green eyes finally spotted the other colt. Closer up, the figure appeared much older than himself, though the fact did not deter Saoirse from picking up his shaky limbs to join him. “HI!” He called out to the earth-toned figure, forcing a crooked smile along his features.

“Hey!” He reared playfully as soon as he breached within the colt’s personal bubble. A restless air causing the boy to snap out his wings and giggle out into the open.  “I’m Saoirse! What are you doing all the way out here, huh?” His leonine tail swished excitedly for a response.

Image Credits

@Levitz :: welcome to Helovia! :3

Wessex Posts: 149
Aurora Basin Haruspex atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 7.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 3 HP: 68 | Buff: NOVICE
Astor

I AM IRON AND I FORGE MYSELF

The night is dark and full of terrors…

Oh, how Wessex knows that all too well. The shadows of the trees lengthen before her, and instead of turning back to the Basin for the evening, she pushes on, the horns on her head sprouting into some gruesome sort of shadow-monster. A stunted Medusa. An overly horned Minotaur. But while she may fancy herself to be a legendary warrior mare in her own due time, she is not now - she is simply Wessex, Aurora Basin Corporal. Woman of few words, but with these she banters, and with her body, she protects.

In the depths of the Threshold wood, a voice catches her attention. Hear ears swivel behind her horns to catch the sound, and determines that it has the piping tone of a child. She frowns, lips pursing together into a thin, straight line. The sound of her disapproval (and concern - let it be noted that she first and foremost concerned about a child out here, at the edges of Helovia) catches in her throat, and she calls out, “Hello? Who’s out there?” Heavy hooves moves in what she thinks is the right direction, and it is not long before her efforts are rewarded. A small dancing shadow moves amongst still ones, and her lizard eyes catch a glimpse of the origin. Without waiting to see who the child (or children) are, she weaves towards them, doing her best to remain unimposing - which is, you know, a bit of a challenge sometimes.

“Are you supposed to be out at the Threshold alone?” she asks the two of them - before realizing that one is far closer to adulthood than the other. Wessex assumes they are both Helovian foals, horsing around beyond the reach of adults.

W E S S E X

image credit

@Levitz  
@Saoirse
-- please tag in all posts! --
-- magic and force allowed, no death or permanent damage --

Unclaimed
DinoPileUp

Levitz
I should stop before I start, but the only thing stronger than my head is my heart

As he made his way through the trees, Levitz noticed a shadow nearby him, and it wasn’t his. Another horse? A new opportunity for a friend, maybe? Our colt hoped that it was a nonintimidating individual, someone he would be able to talk to on his level.

He heard the sound of hooves landing a bit ahead of him, accompanied by the rustling of folding wings and a childlike exclamatory squeal. All of this a bit louder and perhaps clumsier than it probably could have been. The sound of a young horse’s voice made it’s way to him, but it was unintelligible. He slowed down for a moment, and standing a good distance away from him was a boy. Though he was far younger than Levitz, he was quite impressive in his appearance. The two horns spiralling up from his head were piercing through his warm brownish locks. He seemed to be the one that had made all the clumsy sounds, calling out something that could only be an attempt for a friendly introduction. Levitz didn’t care to strike up a conversation yet, not until the young colt would move closer to him (a little bit too close) and rear excitedly. He greeted him for the second time. ”Hey!” A gust of wind passed, and the boy spread out his wings, giggling and his bright green eyes full of youthful bliss. Levitz couldn’t hold back a smile. ”I’m Saoirse! what are you doing all the way out here, huh?” Levitz noticed a resplendently fascinating tail swishing, underlining the question with expectation and excitement. Wow. This looks like an interesting one..
”Eh, I’m Levitz.” said the colt. ”And, I’m looking for a place I could stay, maybe.” He stopped for a second. What was this kid going to do with that information? ”But not really. I mean- I am, but if I were to find nothing I wouldn’t mind that much,” he added, as to not make his acquaintance feel like he was under too much pressure. He looked so young, after all. He didn't want to put all of his troubles on the boy right from the start.

”Hello? Who’s out there?” a clear voice called. Levitz lifted his head, trying to find the source of the voice. His search was short lived,  when a dark mare got closer to the both of them. She seemed like she wasn’t one he should mess around with too much, which made the temptation even stronger. With multiple horns around her head and one horn above her nostrils, she didn’t look too inviting. She spoke again.
“Are you supposed to be out at the Threshold alone?” Levitz felt a bit condescended upon, being questioned like that by a mare he’d never even met before. He looked her in her light-orange eyes, thinking of a clever response for a fraction of a second before just turning the question around on her with the same condescension he felt the mare had spoken to him with.
“Are you?” He knew that the mare was probably just being kind, looking out for them, but he had always had trouble accepting help or advice from anyone.

@Saoirse thankyoouu
@Wessex

Sorry I was so ridiculously late with tagging you guys, didn't know it was a thing until 6 hours after I posted my reply XD

Dragon's Throat Colt
mar

Saoirse nods once he’s attained the name. In a strange, curt manner that went against his otherwise careless mannerisms in the short span he’s arrived. “Levitz.” He murmurs, preferring to play with the name against his tongue – rather than hold on to it against his mind. When saying it sparked a vivid, tangible memory he might be better off holding on to.

The boy shifts slightly on his feet, tucking feathers haphazardly against his back and sides. “Why?” He finally questions, surprised to find that the older colt wouldn’t mind living in the wilds – if that were the case. He prefers the comforts of the herd, the protection offered by their warriors, and their reputation that beams as an abode of strength and family. Or so the Sultans and Sultanas proclaim it to be.

About to interject a thought into the air, another joins them. Gaining his eyes and shifting his body slightly away from her first appearance; for while her body remains equine-like, there are a number of horns that puncture through her face. Blood tinged and as vibrant as the sun, against a black canvass.  

“Woah…” Should he be terrified? For a moment the flashes of the bone monster press against his mind. But this stranger is incredibly equid, and like Saoirse she has attained at least two horns that adorn her head – a crown that continues to line the edges of her face and snout.

Saoirse is inevitably distracted by these differences, and to the glowing markings that shine brightly in the darkness. The boy remains calm enough, even though the sun begins to fade and the light is stripped from their grasp. The boy doesn’t expect her firm words to suggest an alternative to their presence. And while she exudes authority, and firmness, a laugh escapes the boy when the older of the two responds.

“There’s no one stopping me,” he confirms casually. Tilting his head at the strange mare. It’s not like she’s his mother after all. Encouraged by Levitz’s rebellion, he sets an amused grin against his lips instead. In either case he had his wings and the heavens to escape to, if the mare thought of any funny business.

“My home’s in the Dragon’s Throat.” He finally pipes up. Keeping an eye on the dark mare and her gleaming yellowed eyes. “It’s this island down below, with great weather all throughout the year. You should check it out at least. They, I mean, I guess we’re always looking for new people to come. And our warriors are the best – so you know… If you wanted to beef up, that’s the place to be.”

Not that he knew what Levitz wanted. But the boy thought it was interesting enough that maybe, he’d escape the mare’s glare and run off with him to the Throat.

Image Credits

@Levitz @Wessex :: XD no problemo

Astor

Oh they’re all so witty, aren’t they? Teenage rebellion makes for boldened hearts and barbed tongues - quick to slice and dice, but slow to realize that their invulnerability is due more to the efforts of others than their youthful, swaggering bravado. Wessex’s gaze remains steady, unyielding as she takes in the boy’s retort. Her response holds no malice, no biting remark to try and show him who’s boss (though is there any really doubt who might win in a fight?). She’s as cool as a cucumber, even as the younger horned-and-feathered boy chimes in that there’s no one stopping him. Well, of course not. But that didn’t answer her question about whether or not they’re supposed to be out there, on the cusp of their world, while the clinging tendrils of night descend upon Helovia.

“Yes, actually. I am. As the second-highest rank in the Basin’s army, it’s important to patrol all of Helovia, not just our herd land. Especially given the uncertainty of the Kaos situation.” The latter half of that statement is directed more at the younger colt, who seems to be more of a Helovian than the other, who smells of Not-Helovia. The bone-beast killed a mare who seemed to know what she was doing, battle-wise. Imagine what it could do to children.

A part of her acknowledges that she is rather out of place in this conversation, but as one of the boys says he’s from the Throat, and offers a home, she can’t help but feel a bit of a competitive edge coming on. Which is utterly ridiculous, the logical part of her argues, because they were off to a rough start (there was never any condescension in her question, not that she can control how the lad feels), and why the hell should a grown mare compete with a colt? On the other hand, her pride says she can’t just let that comment about the ‘best warriors’ slide.

“Or you could try the Basin, up north - we’re a hardy, independent bunch. And our warriors just took down a bear last week.” She throws a wink to the Throat colt, as if to say that this out-doing each other is all in good fun. That bear was a hell of a fight, though - and she’s got the marks to prove it.

W E S S E X

image credit

@Levitz  
@Saoirse  
Ha, it's cool! Should have seen me trying to learn to tag the first couple of times XD

Unclaimed
DinoPileUp

Levitz
I should stop before I start, but the only thing stronger than my head is my heart.

Levitz’s stomach gives him a jolt the moment Saoirse asks the question why. He doesn’t want to elaborate upon something he never really meant in the first place, he just wanted to come across as calm and worryless.

“Ah, I just think I can survive pretty well on my own.” He feels another sudden peak of panic as he realizes that what he did that moment ago just added another layer of dishonesty to the conversation he is having.

After his own unnecessarily bold answer to the question the horned mare asked him, the younger colt decides to put in his two cents as well. Levitz just smiles at the boy parading his independence. He tries to remember whether or not he was like that at that age. No, even though he’s always been one to push the envelope in social situations, he was still a momma’s boy that wouldn’t dare to venture past the safety of the herd. Until not that long ago, of course.

The mare answers with surprising wholesomeness, yet Levitz feels he probably shouldn’t question her like that again, her having dropped some very imposing terms. But there was one part of her response that piqued his interest more than the rest of it.

“Kaos?” he asks, forgetting about being funny for a second. Is he in danger? All of a sudden, the darkness that’s blanketing the three of them seems a lot more daunting. He needs to go with either one of these horses, and it needs to happen quick.

As if he read his mind, Saoirse starts telling him about his home, a place called ‘Dragon’s Throat’. Warriors, great weather, it did seem very appealing. Before he could even make the decision on how to respond to the offer, the mare joins in offering a place to stay. She talks about the Basin, and the fact that they, apparently, managed to defeat a bear together not too long ago. Could this be the safety that he knows he needs?

“And you wouldn’t mind taking me there?” He he asks her with newfound respect and humbleness, the doubt being fueled by his rudeness a few moments ago.

@Saoirse
@Wessex

Dragon's Throat Colt
mar

Levit’s answer falls short of the boy’s expectations. Too daft to think beyond the possibilities that the older foal is pushing away his curiosity for unknown reasons. Or what those reasons could possibly be. Saoirse is also an orphan without a mother or a father, and somehow this older, much mature colt is exploring the world seemingly unperturbed by the absence of said family. He wants to ask him, ’how do you do it?’

But the conversation is led elsewhere. His green eyes flash against the intruder, throwing rank into air and her exploits to boot. The threat of Kaos. And without thinking, with only the pride of the Throat to egg him on, and ignoring how wonderful and interesting it was to meet the other peoples of Helovia, his lips are already moving.

“There’s a lot to get done,” he said simply. Then glanced back to Levitz. “Yeah. This god that came out of The Rift… I’m not really sure where that is. But apparently he’s making Helovia his new home, and nobody wants him around because he’s evil. We already have gods of our own that take care of us. Like the Sun God, for the Throat.”

His answer is on the verge of monotone. Hasn’t digested what has happened to him, doesn’t want to. But a soft smile lends itself to the boy when he mentions his God. Which is quickly wiped away when Levitz appears to falter, to diverge from his rebellion and spunk as he gravitates towards the adult. And not him; as if he’s already made up his mind, and Saoirse begins to feel the regrets of failure hot on his  cheeks.

“What enemies have you defeated by yourself?” He blurts. Sure – it seems ‘reasonable’ to take down a bear with several herd mates. Didn’t it? What exploits could the warrior name, to add to her resume? “I mean, obviously we could take down a bear too…” He doesn’t want to admit he’s failed, just yet. And can’t distinguish if his words are petty or desperate. But he feels, and follows his emotions instead.

Stubborn and persistent.

Image Credits

@Wessex :: sry, Saoirse is being a buttt >P

Astor

Was Wessex being petty? Yes. And the voice of her dead mother comes unbidden, reminding her of honor and compassion and the duty to protect. She grumbles to herself, eyes rolling on the inside as the great warrior queen bears down on her with eyes that she can never forget. The ‘you’re disappointing me’ eyes - the ‘I know you can do better’ appraisal in her hard, blue-gray stare.

Perhaps that is why Saiorse’s challenge goes unanswered, because she could easily lie and the child would never know - but what’s the point of that? What makes her look impressive in the moment could easily make her look shitty in several hours/days/weeks.

Her horns dip down and up as she nods in agreement, tacking on some more information. “He killed a warrior at his appearance, and we’re trying to figure out how to defeat him and his bone monster.” She makes a face then, indicating just how annoying the problem is, especially without any (as far as she knows) promising leads. Trial and error is all they’ve got at the moment, and perhaps the hope that one of their Gods will come down with some miraculous information. But she’s seen two Gods thus far - and let me tell you, Wessex ain’t impressed with the yelling and the abandonment.

Fortune favors the bold, or so it seems, when the young stallion asks if she could take him there. Her lizard-orange eyes blink several times in surprise, but the mottled mare then quickly recovers. “Of course,” she replies in easy tones. Cause duh, she’s a professional. Like, she does this all the freakin’ time?

A professional who doesn’t know anyone’s name.

“I’m Wessex,” slips out before she turns toward the Basin, in a northeasterly direction. “You are?” she inquires, and then a thoughtful pause. “Hey Throat kid - you want to come visit? I promise you won’t freeze your ass off this time of year.”

Look. It’s a legit concern for some of the southern folk - and quite frankly, Wessex doesn’t blame them. Nobody wants frostbite on their delicate bits.

W E S S E X

image credit

@Levitz
@Saoirse

I can make a post in the Basin for you if you like! That is, if Levitz isn't changing his mind XD