the Rift

We Were Never Told to Run

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers
Roskuld & Zchiraxicon
Where there's no Law tying my heart from the start..

So I’d already called a meeting before--but I hadn’t really done it on purpose, not really, I’d just called for someone whose ass I could kick and it very quickly shed light on a very bleak situation. Not gonna lie--I still break out in cold sweats when I think of how fucked we are generally. I’m not sure what Tembovu or Alysanne were actually doing with the warriors before now. What even the fuck.

Well, shit, whatever. Now it was my responsibility and it was giving me goosebumps thinking about doing something I’d done on accident not that long ago. Makes sense, right? I stood (paced, actually) on the flattened stomping field I’d been using as the sparring ground, working my nerve and getting my blood pumping for speaking in front of people. It’d been some time since I’d been named General--not that much, but enough where shit had changed and things needed to be clarified and put in their proper position. Or, at least, I had to get a good handle on my own peeps. There were several new soldiers I didn’t even know I had. Time to set some shit straight; there were still a couple vacancies that needed filling, and even though the King and Queen had their own ideas and privileges to set anyone rank whenever they felt like it, ultimately it was my responsibility to fill them.

Chico wasn’t really helping me discover these things and get the feel of my new shit--I mean, he was there, but the rank of General only applied to him very, very loosely, like an afterthought that he sometimes acknowledged. S’not like companions get their own rank and responsibility anyway, unless you count it when it’s tied to their bonded--and Chico had a thing where sometimes he was down with whatever I was handling, and other times he would just fuck off and do his own thing (which is where he was now, I dunno) and that didn’t really bother me. Whatever, man. Just don’t fuck it up for the rest of us.

I finally got the nerve to set the call for all the warriors to come to ME, blaring out a huge, powerful whinny to get my soldiers to gravitate where I was. [INSERT WARRIORS GATHERING HERE] It still sent a thrill of foreboding up my spine to see how small we still were as a group, which was exacerbated by the shiver that raked my bones anyway with how many people I still had to speak in front of. I’m starting to wonder if that kind of thing was ever gonna leave me--speaking in front of strangers and whatnot.

I cleared my throat and slipped into my Hurr-I’m-A-General persona, which was the only thing getting easier and easier as time wore on. “Alright, let’s keep this short,” I told them, my voice strong and loud, my gaze stern as I looked a group of warriors of every shape and size, “For those of you who don’t know me, I’m Ros and I’ll be the one you’re gonna report to. If we ain’t met yet, speak up and tell me who you are.”

I waited, listening and acknowledging the names I’d have to work really really hard to commit to memory (since Cheek wasn’t here). Then I pressed on with buisness. “Alright, first thing’s first, Ru is Captain now, obviously.” I said that with a glance at her that bordered on apologetic; the memory of our last spar still filled me with a confused shame, but that’s another story altogether that I don’t feel like diving in. I pressed on. “We’re also gonna need a Sergeant here real soon, and I ain’t sold yet on who’s gonna hold that position--so if you’re lookin’ to climb rank then get your shit together and we’ll see what happens. People who do shit get rank.” Wasn’t that hard to follow, really. I scanned all the faces before me, doing my absolute best not to linger on Elsa’s mug any longer than necessary; honestly, I was wondering how she’d feel about the new Captain, and I hadn’t yet forgotten the way she’d looked at me when she found out I was her boss. It was the kind of look that made you remember.

“All y’all who’ve been tasked with a patrol, tell me now if you’ve completed it, and what you found,” I said with a flick of my tail, “All y’all who haven’t been given an assignment, sit tight and you’ll be given one. What’s more important, though, is that everyone here won’t be leaving without a sparring partner.We can’t be sittin’ idle; there’s too much shit we still gotta make up for.” I grimaced. “I know I’m pushin’ hard but we gotta push hard just to stay afloat. Time’s are hard right now; we’re livin’ on the precipice of something huge and we gotta protect our herd from it. An’ until we get more recruits that just means we’re gonna have to kick ourselves to make up the difference.” I hated it myself--hated constant patrolling, hated constant scheming, hated this constant pressure that kept me up at night, in the few hours I was forced to set aside for sleep--but the alternative scared me far worse. Somehow, somewhere--and I dunno when--I’d started caring about this place entirely too much.

"talk"

image credits

[WARRIOR RANK MEETING:
-Will reply with a follow up on APRIL 1ST!
-Ru has been promoted to Captain!
-Will be on the lookout for an active Sergeant!
-New spar pairings will be assigned upon the follow up (non-mandatory, just encouraging sparring with herdmates!)
-Remember, current patrol assignments will run until the END OF TALLSUN YEAR EIGHT. If you don't have a patrol assignment and would like to partake, please consult the Patrols thread in the Secret Room and request to patrol at any of the listed territories!

@Elsa
@Aaron
@Auriel
@Bartholomeo
@Nitika
@Darwin
Isopia

Please tag ROSKULD in every reply!

Darwin Posts: 74
World's Edge Protector atk: 5.0 | def: 8.0 | dam: 6.0
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 15 hh :: 4 Years (Ages in Birdsong) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Antaa :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix Skylark

A call loomed over the Edge, distracting Darwin from his grazing. He groaned at the awful timing, his stomach rumbling along with from hunger. The man always seemed to have poor choices when he chose to spend some time for himself. He huffed slightly in annoyance, before pondering about ignoring the action, but to do so would be a mark on his name of unreliability. Nobody needed that in a warrior now did they?

He ripped a mouthful of green grasses from the earth, stuffing his face as best he could before reluctantly heading to the meeting. Upon arrival, he had managed to eat enough that his stomach had stopped its protesting, and he dipped his head to Roskuld as he entered the clearing, awaiting the others to arrive for the information that would be gathered from the General. Quietly, he glanced around for Elsa, since Antaa was off with Edgar somewhere. A small sigh escaped his bearded lips before his river stone gaze landed on Roskuld as the others gathered and the meeting began.

Ru, a pegasus he had patrolled with earlier had been promoted. He nodded quietly in her direction as a sign of congratulations before Roskuld continued the meeting, talking about looking for a Sergeant. His pale ears perked in curiosity at the rank, quietly noting that he’d need to start performing somewhere other than with Elsa, to get noticed in that aspect. Then, after a few moments, he figured it would be best if Ru was the one to relay what had happened on the patrol, unless of course the feathered lady wanted him to do it, since she didn’t exactly speak. His gaze roamed to the woman once again, brows raising slightly as if questioning her if she wanted him to speak.

Art by Neverrmind @ DA

Pixel by BronzeHalo @ Deviantart

Permission given for moderate power play.
Feel free to use magic/force on Darwin, without killing him.
Please tag in every post!

Isopia the Mountain That Knows Posts: 780
Dragon's Throat Apostle atk: 6.5 | def: 10 | dam: 8.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: 3 - is now aging slowly HP: 90 | Buff: NUMB
Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd

ISOPIA
Consider your origin. You were not formed to live like brutes but to follow virtue and knowledge.
It was strange, doing this all again. Showing up to meetings that she wasn't quite invited to. She'd never been a warrior in the Falls either; but she'd sparred more than most of them had, and so the invitation to their meetings had been extended to her. Here in the Edge, it seemed things would be exactly the same.

Still, before she'd been taking her cues from Ktulu and Archibald, not from ehr cousin. Not from Ros.

Ros who she had a particularly bizarre, complicated, and often stifled relationship with. Ros who she both loved and hated, but who she'd probably follow to the ends of the earth if asked.

Silently, with her dragons at her side, Isopia watched and listened as a new side of her stouter cousin was suddenly thrust down her throat. She'd seen many facets of the snappy demi-goddess, but confidently in charge had never been one of them. It was strange, and alluring.

Image Credits

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here

Bartholomeo Posts: 46
World's Edge Protector atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 7.0
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16'2hh :: 7 HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Snow
BARTHOLOMEO

It's been a while since the pirate has had to follow anybody's command. He is used to being the one that everybody else reports to, the one that issues the orders and watches them be followed to the letter. The stag knows, however, that in the Edge it's going to be new, and he is quite happy to take a step back and let somebody else take the reins for once. He's done his time as captain, and is content to while away the years as a simple follower.

The call to his first meeting brings him at a swift trot, eager to make a good impression - tardiness is not acceptable! Bartholomeo soon finds himself part of a gathering of warriors, whom he casts a cursory eye over as he draws to a halt inside the crowd. There's a handful of other stallions and several mares, too, including a marvelously large one accompanied by two dragons. The caller of the meeting is a woman, too, and whilst Bart hides his surprise admirably, he can't help but feel it. He loves women, respects them as equals, but he's grown up in a very male-dominated environment. Indeed, there were all sorts of frightful superstitions about mares among pirates like himself, not least that it was bad luck to have one as part of a crew. Having a mare as the lead warrior, then, is quite a shock to his system.

Still, he's an open-minded man, and this lady seems to know what she's talking about. The chimeric stag listens eagerly, nodding in all the right places. "A pleasure to meet you, Miss Ros," he says cheerfully, his docked tail swishing as he keeps his earthy gaze upon the spark-marked mare. He falls silent, content to listen and wait for another more opportune moment to chime in.

heroes always get remembered,
but you know legends never die.

image credits

Elsa the Icebound Posts: 644
World's Edge Protector atk: 6 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2 Hands :: Six (Frostfall) HP: 73 | Buff: BULK
Edgar :: Plain Zephyr :: Arctic & Wakiya Klare
Elsa,
Feel lucky for what you have, when you have it. Happily ever after doesn’t mean happy forever.

Meetings were literally the worst.

Especially when said meeting was run by a superior who you have no a single clue about. Luckily, it would be less annoying since Edgar was otherwise preoccupied with his avian lover. Grumbling, she followed the sound, really only doing so because Darwin would be present. I mean, what were they gonna do if she didn't show up? Kick her out? Give her a penalty? They already wanted patrols out, so there wasn't exactly a punishment befitting a no show at a meeting.

A few moments later and the Icebound quickly found herself sticking to Darwin's side like a loving leech. She had not a single clue who the rest of them were. The name Ru sounded somewhat familiar- apparently her fellow captain now. Elsa glanced around, not seeing anyone giving a saccharine thank you for their promotion. Other than that, she found it rather dull to be here. She had met Rosskuld before, so she had no reason to be here now. She nudged Darwin's shoulder in mock annoyance, acting like a child who just wanted to leave. Elsa may be an "adult" but that didn't mean she liked to do the whole adulting thing. She'd much rather do her own things her own way- but such is the bindings of herd life.

It didn't help that she could feel Edgar's bubbliness through their bond. He got off so easy now by claiming to need time with his lady. Elsa just internally rolled her eyes, trying not to let her climbing annoyance get her in trouble. She'd already had her fair share of drama at the last meeting that she did not need to draw more attention to herself.

"talk"
image credits
  • Any force can be used against Elsa.
  • Please tag any posts that involves Elsa.

Ru Posts: 130
World's Edge Captain atk: 7.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.1h :: 3 [Tallsun] HP: 60.5 | Buff: Novice
Mar

Far too often she’s found herself in the air. Departing humid lands for the refreshing sea breeze, elevating her soul, her spirit and body into the cool jet streams. She is living her life in near abandon. Invigorated by the loyalty that continues to spin, webbing, and entangling her closer to the Edge. Even if it evades the interpersonal, at least time itself provides communion with the flora and atmosphere that envelops them all.

Off to the coast, she receives the call well. Familiar, burning, reminds the girl of the densely packed General and her severe gaze. Where there should be scorn, she finds herself void of the fear and apprehension of their previous fight. There is only going forwards, only moving on. She realizes, as she carves out the air with her wings to head back – that she does not enjoy that feeling of impending doom. Of the happenchance that comes with her disability. People would either have to take it or leave it, and the girl – woman now – must learn to adapt to her vacant voice.

She would learn – somehow.

Her feathery form lands at a distance from the gathering group. Touching down at a trot, Ru joins her brethren to face the General. A layer of sweat clung to her sides, lips dry with the sea salt. A curious gaze roams those who have gathered. And while the girl is loath to worry, their small partition appears laughable – and it stings. There is Darwin who she recognizes, and Elsa beside him. She casts the frigid mare a curling smirk, brief, before passing the faces of The Mountain, and Bartholomeo.

Right, back to business.

With Ros’s voice clearing, the girl’s breath has softened to an easy rate. Hugging her wings close, despite the sweat that drips below. It comes as a shock when her name is mentioned – rank included. She doesn’t feel worthy; can feel how the feathers along her neck half-flare in that momentary adrenaline spiking at this very moment. With a heavy exhale, Ru nods curtly to Ros. Quietly inhaling the surrounding air, in an attempt to feed her restless body with this news. The fact that the rank of Sergeant requires filling passes beyond her ears, only momentarily gaining Darwin’s afforded gaze.

Hah!

So this shit is for real now.

She contradicted herself, recalling that first spar. How lost and wanting she’d been, the pain a poignant reminder of her training. With another, steady inhale, she focused more clearly on Ros’ words. She can feel Darwin’s gaze from the corner of her eyes, and glances back when the mentions of patrols are made; as if to remind the girl that the challenges ahead of her were far from over.

Ru nods simply in his direction, though the action is a regretful one. The girl wishes to speak on behalf of their findings – and yet, finds her resources low in this area. Deciding to avoid answering several yes and no questions at this point.

When Ros finishes up the bulk of her words, summarized by the hard work ahead of them, Ru gives a hearty cry from her jowls. Stomping her hoof against the trampled earth, as if to agree wholeheartedly with their General. To prove to her, to the Edge and Helovia – that they would rise up despite the odds.

Please Tag
Permision to use any violence/harm; nothing that would cause immediate death

Aaron Posts: 260
World's Edge Protector atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 6 Years HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alanna :: Common Hellhound :: Energy Drain Emily

Life has been, well almost back to how it had been before we invaded the Falls. Alanna and I had been lucky enough to find our old sleeping place. Sure it was just a place among the trees that Alanna had cleared out, but to me it meant the world. It was the place that Mom had given birth to my sisters. It was the place that I had watched Azale, Sakura and Takara grow up.. I had helped raise them along side with Kimber... I'll admit, a small part of me misses my best friend. But well, maybe she is better off away from Helovia.

It's as i'm lost in my thoughts that Alanna hears the call. I don't know the voice, but the sound... Yeah well as she plays the call in my head as I stand up. Let's go. She doesn't speak, but merely nods and sets off in the direction the call had come from. I follow along, moving quickly.

When we arrive, I discover the mare who had called. She looked to be about my size... Quickly I look around to see who else had gathered. My brown eyes lock onto the ivory mare who had given me the scars over my eye. Fuck me... I try to avoid being seen by her, and slip in next to the Mountain that Knows. I keep quiet, listening as the warrior lead spoke. The topics were normal. Patrols, spars... blah blah blah. Can't say i'm totally impressed but I hide that fact. I make note, to find someone out of the group to spar. I need the practice, gods know I need the practice....

"Talking"
"Alanna speaks"

Aaron

In Nomine Patris Et Filii
Et Spiritus Sancti

Please Tag Aaron in All Posts
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Aaron at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing him.

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers
Roskuld & Zchiraxicon
Where there's no Law tying my heart from the start..

I honestly hated to see us gathered there still so weak and smaller than I’d like to see. But it was a double-pang in my heart, cuz we’ve only grown since I started taking control of this piece of the herd. Ugh. What does that say?

I chewed on my lip; god I wished Nyx was still around. Someone who’d been in this position before, someone who knew how to treat with warriors, how to instill in them a vigor to get shit done and whistle all the while doing it. I’m not sure if that’s how it used to be back then; I’m not even sure if that’s how it’s supposed to be. But that’s the point. Nyx would’ve known.

Agh, jeez this was hard. Doing my best to look everyone in the eye (and not look them in the eye at the same time, it was so weird watching the way they looked at me, including Iso with that thing in the tinge of her face--) and feeling my heart ache and twist and break all over again with our failure for Nyx. Because that was exactly the kind of tragedy we had to fortify ourselves against.

Not much was offered from their patrols--so I guess they ain’t find much. Which made my insides twist, cuz too much quiet was much more dangerous than too much commotion, and it was making me antsy. But there wasn’t much they could do about it. “Alright then, as you were,” I gave them my curt dismissal--I said I’d keep it short.

“...except for you,” I pointed out Mr.Beads, a dark, antlered dude with a refinement to the bulk he was packing. I nodded towards him. “You ‘n me got a date right quick.” I did say I wanted to fight each and every one of my warriors....

"talk"

image credits

BASICALLY A MONTH AFTER I INTENDED TO REPLY TO THIS

New patrols have already been posted in the Secret Room!
Please post in the spar thread on the Secret Room if you like to be chosen for a random sparring partner!

Please tag ROSKULD in every reply!