the Rift

[OPEN] Herd Life For Dummies! Chapter 2: Try New Foods.

Ingrid Posts: 42
World's Edge Philosopher atk: 4.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Equine :: 16.0 hh :: 2 (Frostfall) HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Sky

Reference Credit

Ingrid stared at the berry. She'd been here for five minutes now, lying on her stomach and hungrily eyeing it. The fruit in question was bright red, plump, juicy, shiny, mouth-wateringly perfect... and quite possibly poisonous. She groaned and flopped onto her side. Not knowing which berries were edible was almost as annoying as trying (and failing) to keep up in conversations here. These horses didn't even call seasons by their proper names. How was she supposed to fulfill her philosopher-y history duties when she barely knew what was going on in Helovia right now? What if there was a test—the sort of rank-wide history test that everyone knew about yet didn't bother mentioning, duh—and she failed it? Her gut knotted with worry. She got to her hooves, it wasn't like she'd been that hungry anyway. Stupid fruit.

She got to walking, and became quickly lost in her thoughts. After a while though, a strange buzzing in her ears pulled her back to reality. Confused, she looked around. It took her a moment to see them, as they were darting all about. The air was filled with little bees. On the ground there were flowers of every color and shape, though hardly any that she could name. She soon realized she was standing in the middle of a garden. A little ways off, there was a glass greenhouse. Maybe they'd have some information in there on the native plants. It seemed fitting, given her berry ordeal just now. She wove her way through the flowers to the entrance. Tentatively, she took a step inside. "Hello?" she called, "Is anyone here?" Silence. Suddenly, a dark object swung past her eye. She jumped back fearfully. Where she had stood, a garden spider was dangling on a spindle of web that ran up to the ceiling. Anyone besides you, I mean.

@Tilney

Maude Posts: 140
World's Edge Filly
Filly :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: Yearling
Bunnie

Having taken Lyanna’s words in, the child has spent the weeks after the blue tipped mare’s lesson on ferns and mosses to learn to differentiate between them. Sure enough, the ginger and cream darling learned quite quickly that they were all, in fact, different in the ways her tutor had specified (though Tilney had surely told her at least a hundred times).

Soon, she was moving up and down the carefully tended rows, occasionally pulling a weed or two away, or tilting the pretty blue can Mesec had made her to sprinkle water on the herb’s roots, all while mentally noting how the Royal Fern had very round, adorable leaves and most even fronds. That it looks so youthful is funny, because it’s usually used on old people, to ease their aching joints, or sore bellies. The Lady Fern, its uses implanted in its name (the needs of a Lady!) was almost fancy in comparison, with tapered leaves and fronts; the Bracken Fern, however, looked almost as if the Royal and the Lady Fern had made little fern babies, who’d suddenly become fern old men, with roundish, lumpy leaves on tapered fronds. It was no wonder bugs hated this plant; even working away weeds around their bases left a powerful smell lingering in her nostrils.

She’s lifting her head to ask her father what a Bracken Fern is (and whether or not it is the offspring of two other ferns) when a visitor catches her attention. Dropping her gathered weeds in an excited rush of adrenaline, the child is just sure another day has arrived for her to utilize the skills she has been honing. Cantering through the rows, occasionally leaving some shrubbery or bloom laden plant shuddering at her passing, the bright child is there almost immediately after the mare makes her presence known to everyone in the greenhouse.

"Daddy! Come quick!" She proclaims as she makes way towards the hapless Edge citizen, who has arrived in need of she and her sire's medical tending. Citrine eyes wide as she bouncily comes to a halt, her pale hair floating and erratic, the cloak draped darling asks with wide eyes: "Hello! I’m Maude! Are you okay?!"

[ OOC: Hope you don't mind a father/daughter tag team? :) ]

how to be brave
how to love when I'm afraid

Image by Araxel@DA

@Tilney @Ingrid
Hold onto this lullaby, even when the music's gone.

Tilney Posts: 288
World's Edge Moon Doctor atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2hh :: VI HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Peatree :: Lesser Fruit Bat :: None Neverrmind
Tilney
World's Edge Moon Doctor

TAG
OUTFIT
Lantern
WORDS
OUTFIT
Cloak

I
t was a most tedious task, keeping the plants watered. The dryness that accomapnied the formidable sun of summer was always enough to cause the herd's stocks of sapplings and northern plants to wilt, and occasionally die, so it was with a keen respect for the work of the doctors as the nurses that he kept a close eye on the plants daily. While it was, perhaps, more of a nurses job, it was something that the flaxen patriarch really didn't mind doing; there was something wonderfully therapeutic about spreading water; the greatest source of life, over thirsty plants. It was more or less the nasty trek from the stream, pales full of water across each shoulder that he truly despised.

Like most days, Maude had accompanied him to the greenhouse to water the ferns she so loved with her precious new watering can. Peatree clung to the doctor's antlers, hung upside down as all bats did.
It was mornings like these that Tilney truly adored, the kind where he could go hours without speaking more than one or two words of direction and yet it would feel as though they had participated in the greatest of conversations. Any time spent with Maude was time worth more to him than gold.
Though, just as Tilney had finished his own row of watering, Maude had cleared out of the glasshouse like a leaf on the wind.

"Maude?" He murmured, green gaze peering out through the grimey windows to watch his windswept daughter bound between the rows to approach a rather curious woman.
Stepping form the greenhouse upon cautious cloven hoove,s Tilney followed in his daughters dainty hoofprints down the rows.
By now Peatree had fluttered away from the ginger lads crown, soaring over to supervise Maude with the newcomer to the garden. Though, upon seeing the spider dangling before the eyes of both Mude and the stranger, the bat gave a squeak as he swooped down to attack it, plucking it from the air on his way past Ingrid's face.
'it poison! it hurt!'  he chanted through his bond to Tilney, who could only shake his head. It was most likely harmless, poor thing.
"Hello, How may we help you?" The great stag murmured to the rather colourful individual. Maude had already asked if she sought medical attention, there was no point in asking twice.
☀︎

N E V E R R M I N D + A R A V E R N I

Wander or Leave
turn in to winter lights
☀︎

Ingrid Posts: 42
World's Edge Philosopher atk: 4.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Equine :: 16.0 hh :: 2 (Frostfall) HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Sky

Reference Credit

Ingrid grinned at the filly when she approached. She was young, and her bouncy demenor quickly cured Ingrid of her cynisism, if only for the time being. "Oh, I'm quite alright," she frowned, realizing that the gardeners here were probably healers. Could she have just pulled them from their work? "I'm fine, really, what plants were you just watering?" she added quickly, not wanting this foal, Maude, to be disappointed. Then the girl's father showed up, he was heavier, but other than that Maude was a mirror image of him. Before she could say a hi and apologize for disturbing him, a bat flashed by her and tackled the spider off its web. What is with animals jumping out at me today? she wondered. "I'm sorry to disturb you, I'm not hurt. I was only here wondering if someone could help me identify a berry, but of course if you're busy it isn't urgent," she glanced from father to daughter. "I'm Ingrid, by the way. It's a pleasure to meet you both," she turned to smile just at Maude, "and I love the beads on your antlers. They're very pretty."

@Tilney @Maude
I'm SOOOO sorry for the wait, this week at school has been a killer! I promise I'll get back to you sooner from now on. P.S. Ingrid loves kids, even though she practically is one. :D

Maude Posts: 140
World's Edge Filly
Filly :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: Yearling
Bunnie

Returning the stranger’s happy smile, Maude is glad to hear that the mare is okay, even if she’s a bit disheartened that, today at least, her services aren’t really needed. Her features fall only slightly, however, immediately regaining their vivacity and cheer, especially when the gray and white woman asks her what she’d been watering.

"Oh, they’re all ferns! But, that last one is called Bracken," she laughs at the somewhat silly name, remembering her curious question suddenly, and turning her wonder filled eyes back to her father as he hurries towards her, and whoever the lady she’s chattering at is, "hi daddy! What -"

Begins to ask the filly as Peatree swoops through, the abrupt distraction allowing time for the girl to start feeling embarrassed. Was it rude to inquire after plant genetics whilst greeting someone? Her questions should probably wait.

Perking up as the white-faced mare begins to explain why she’s here, the filly finds herself curious as to what sort of berry she’s found, too. There were definitely a few about the Edge that weren’t safe, even though they certainly belonged to the plants with the prettiest flowers. Looking up at her dad, just knowing he has the best solution for how to help their newfound friend, the girl looks back at the steel gray mare with a broad, elated smile when Ingrid’s attentions turn to her precious pearls.

"Oh, thank you, Ingrid!" graciously replies Maude, her smile growing even wider and her chin proudly lifting, "my Auntie Ultima gave them to me when I was born. I don’t see her anymore, but they definitely remind me of how pretty and nice she was. Your feathers are very beautiful too! What sort of bird do they come from? I’ll bet he’s a handsome fellow."

how to be brave
how to love when I'm afraid

Image by Araxel@DA

@Tilney
Hold onto this lullaby, even when the music's gone.