the Rift

[OPEN] A wish for wings that work [Keys]

Syrena Posts: 207
Dragon's Throat Forger
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 hh :: 7 years
Thelxiepeia :: Royal Rougarou :: Water Kyra
Syrena
let the water take me
She’s going to become a vampire here. Night dweller. Something. But it’s just too damn hot during the day, especially to go hang out by fire. The hell was wrong with her, living here? But Thea drags her around anyway, though they do pass most days asleep or in the oasis, waiting until evening to venture out. Today, she does make her way to the Diviner’s fire, because she’s got things to do. Sadly it is not exactly near the oasis, and she’s really more and more convinced she picked the wrong place. The sea creature playing with fire? It’s ridiculous.

Thea just radiates happiness as she slithers along the parched earth with her five heads. “For you, little girl, she says in that deadpan voice as they walk. Thea just keeps radiating happiness, and Syrena almost rolls her eyes. But she does care for her ridiculous companion, even if her ridiculous companion was going to be the death of her.

It’s not too long before they find the fire. Syrena takes her key first, because she’s really over being stuck on this damn island. Also she’s a crafter with rank magic and it’s probably ridiculous she doesn’t have a key. But mostly, she just wants her freedom. After that, she calls out to the herd to come get one. They have some left, and she could make more. There’d still be a few horses in need of keys until their sneaks and warriors got the rest of them back, but she’d do what she could.

How weird this feels. She knows almost no one in the herd, and she knows even less about crafting in the Throat. Yet here she is, giving away keys like she owns the place. Not that she does, or even wants to, but it feels so strange. Wrong, in some ways, but right, in others. It’s good to do something, to feel like she serves some purpose. And it will be better when she has a clue what she’s doing. Hopefully Zero would come quickly and take over. Thea, on the other hand, sits proudly next to her bonded with ten bright purple eyes waiting to see who comes.

"words"

darya87 | larfsalot
on deviantart

@Zekle

Come get your keys!
@Amalrik
@Astarot
@Ilios
@Mihtal
@Pippigrin
@Reichenbach
@Sunjata
@Tae

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Reli

Sunjata Posts: 69
Dragon's Throat Sleuth atk: 4.5 | def: 10 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1hh :: Four HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Andikan :: Nile Crocodile :: Scream Skylark

S  U  N  J  A  T  A

The blue jay meandered along the hot sands of the Throat, keeping an eye open for any kind of distraction. He continued to do his best to explore the land of his home, still uncertain of where many of the important places were. So as he continued to wander along the Throat, he kept his icy eyes open for absolutely anything that would be interesting. It proved to be a difficult task for him. All he felt like he saw anymore were different shades of orange.

Even the fire in the distance was another backdrop of oranges and reds. He huffed a sigh of annoyance before approaching it anyway, since it was something he hadn’t seen before. However, as he approached, he noticed a dark figure as well as a smaller creature slithering along the sands. His ears perked toward them in interest as he tightened his blue wings along his back and made his way over to introduce himself.

Upon closer inspection, his gaze landed on the creature that appeared to be similar to a snake, but something was off. The more he looked at it, the more confused he got. It didn’t have just one head. Instead, it had multiple. His feathers fluffed slightly in both curiosity as well as confusion before his gaze landed on the woman that stood by the fire. “What is that?” He questioned, pointing his head in Thea’s direction. His voice was thickly coated in an accent as it left his dark lips.

"Talk."

We slipped into midnight
like the death of the sun.
img credits

@Syrena he hasn't noticed the keys yet, but he's probably going to hang out since he's curious about Thea. xD

Pixel by bronzehalo.deviantart.com
Force/Magic permitted so long as it doesn't permanently harm him.
Please tag in every post!

Mihtal Posts: 26
Dragon's Throat Mare atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.0 :: 8 years HP: 56.0 | Buff: Novice
Reli
Mihtal
My first instinct is to ignore the woman’s call, as it often is when some kind of gathering is imminent. Folding my ears into my mane, I tuck my head down, already walking in the opposite direction while my muscles quiver and the red sand stirs in my wake. I might have made it to the other end of the island had her words not registered, offering the promise of keys. Stopping abruptly mid-step, I stand frozen (for a moment, several minutes, I’m not sure), listening only to the erratic thrumming of my heart and the shallowness of my breath while my thoughts churn through the tangled mess of my mind.

The instinct to hide wrestles with my desire for a key—to have free access off this island, which is only becoming smaller with each day that passes. Chewing on my lower lip, I grapple back and forth with myself—because sequestering myself from everyone would be so much easier, but the thought of being trapped on this island forever is enough to choke me—before, finally, I turn with a throaty huff and a graceless pivot on my heels.

With the silky length of my hair dragging behind me—now matted with the Throat’s dust, because I haven’t cared enough to pamper myself with a wash—I trudge in the direction from where the call had come from, using the flickering flame as my guide. I walk with quick little steps, hoping to reach the crafter before I’m able to change my mind.

“What is that?”

The familiar droll of the blue jay’s voice rumbles over the desert, and I raise my eyes from where they had been tracing the movement of my feet. Comforted somehow—even if only a tiny bit—by the large stallion’s familiar presence (because he something to anchor the weariness of my broken mind), I find myself approaching with less wariness than I had expected. “Water draak-slang—hydra,” I murmur roughly in his native tongue, a shadow of a smile softening one side of my lips, and I manage to glance to him briefly from the five-headed water dragon-snake; or hydra.

“They are mostly creatures of myth where I come from,” I explain simply, having only seen one or two before in my life—and even then, only in cages as they had been bartered and sold along the trades of Uumalah’s streets. I blink after staring for a moment, smiling (smiling might be too generous, simpering?) wordlessly to Sunjata before I look to the peculiar mare. “Hi,” I greet her awkwardly, barely making eye contact. “You said you had keys?” I try to smile, to soften the coolness of my blunt request (because I shy away at the thought of dragging it out), but it has little effect. I shift my weight uncomfortably waiting for a response, my eyes flickering occasionally from the sands to the mare out of duty to politeness.

“Speech.”
I pirouette in the dark
Tired mechanical heart—Beats til the song disappears
image credits
@Syrena @Sunjata
please tag Mihtal in all replies!
magic & force are permitted.

Astarot Posts: 81
Dragon's Throat Sun Physician atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17.1 :: 2 (Birdsong) HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zafír :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Pare
kisses
from the
deep
Astarot had a strange notion one day while he had been watching Zafir fly above him. "Zafir!" The blue dragoness watched him for a moment weighing if she wanted to obey him or not. With a frosty sigh she dove down and landed in front of him. Her scarlet eyes looked bored and grumpy as they watched each other. She was not in a good mood today, but he wanted to try his idea. "I have magic and I want you to help me with something." Her eyes brightened and he felt the curiosity. He had her hooked now. "I can turn into a bird, but I cannot fly on my own. Do you think you can carry me? It's a small bird." Her head tilted and she paced in the sand thinking it over. Finally she nodded her horned head. The magic was easier to call up now that he knew he had it. His form shifted quickly and next think he knew he was looking up at his dragon. She crooned her joy and stomped her clawed paw in joy. Now he knew what it felt like living in a sea of giants. Except she had weapons to keep the monsters at bay, he was a tiny flightless blue bird.

He pecked at the paw closest to him beady eyes narrowing for a moment, before his beak opened and bird laughter flew from him. it was funny, magic was supposed to make you stronger, not smaller and weaker. The dragon blew a small puff of frost at the bone marked blue jay. His feathers ruffled playfully and he jumped at her. They both were amused by the whole ordeal. The dragon lowered herself to the ground allowing the bird to flap up on her back. His claws gripped her scaly hide as she unfolded her wings. She glanced back at him and he nodded. A screech flew from his beak as they shot into the air. It was hard on the blue dragon, there was no way she could do it for long. Astarot's heart flew with them he felt free, for the first time in his life. He wanted to stay on her back forever, but he could feel her labored flapping and breathing. A sight caught their attention and she flew closer to the small crowd.

When they were close enough for the stallion to glide he jumped from her back. The wind felt marvelous under his wings as he circled slowly fell towards the ground. He wished he could fly all the time, but he had not been blessed with working wings. When it came to landing, he was lucky Zafir had followed right behind him. She steadied him with her wings a soft purring laughter rumbling in her breast. Her wings were tired, but her heart was full.

With his claws in the ground the stallion willed the magic away. He transformed on the edge of the group where they could all see him if they were looking. A bright smile graced his features as the stallion settled into his horse form. Zafir lifted into the skies then settled on her bonded's back worn out from their test. "Hello everyone, I don't think we've all formally met." He smiled and dipped his head to the three of them in turn. "I'm Astarot and this is my dragon Zafir." He smiled and spotted the odd creature with five heads. Zafir lifted her head and eyed the think suspiciously before laying her scaly head back down. Her eyes watched the creature as she rested her body. "What an odd and pretty creature. Who is it bonded with?" He looked between the three horses ending on the newly named crafter.

Talk
Words:: 623
Tags:: @Syrena @Sunjata  @Mihtal
[Image: silver_dreamer_mist_trans_tag_by_are_we_...a8y6wy.png]

Dragon's Throat Forger
Syrena
let the water take me
The first to arrive doesn’t even ask about keys, and clearly, doesn’t need them. At least not to get in and out on his own. His wings are blue and stunning, and his markings intricate and beautiful. She’s finally come to a point where jealousy doesn’t rear its ugly head in her anymore. There are many beautiful, decorated creatures in Helovia. She has found, at least, that she is largely unquie, and it has settled her jealousy to a dull thud that comes but once in a while. Instead, the stallion asks about Thea, and she wiggles slightly on the ground in a way that makes her look ridiculous. It’s like an entire body wag.

The next one thinks much like Syrena, not that Syrena knows this. The siren would prefer to hide in the oasis and only talk when forced too. Actually, she would prefer to live in the surf at the sea’s edge, wasting her days there until the sea finally calls her home. Thea, however, has decided that is not an acceptable life for them, and so here they are. Sea creatures hanging out by fire, handing out keys. This mare is beautiful as well, and for a moment, the jealousy thuds in her veins. But it goes out quickly, their attention on Thea, and somehow, that is enough for Syrena.

The new mare knows what Thea is, and Syrena is pleasantly surprised, though like always, her face remains blank. “You’ve seen them before? I’ve only heard the legends,” she says. And she live in the sea until Helovia. “Where do you come from?” Syrena asks, not even realizing this is probably too personal a question. But she wants to go there, wherever there is.

Thea hisses at her bonded slightly, and Syrena looks down for a moment. “Sorry,” she says, finally figuring it out. “That might be personal. But yes, I have keys.” She turns to grab a few, offering one to the mare and another to the stallion, trying to make her face like a question, asking if he needed one. But then her attention shifts because there’s a bird turning into a stallion not far off. Thea doesn’t notice the stallion, but she notices the dragon, and Syrena can feel excitement growing. Not everyone wants to be your friend, she thinks, despite the fact Thea can’t hear the words. It wouldn’t matter anyway. It wouldn’t stop Thea.

Her companion changes, switching to the blue kingfisher bird and flitting about in a manner that very much seems to scream, “lets play!”. Despite the fact that dragon might want nothing to do with her. “Syrena, and this is Thea.” She nearly rolls her eyes as she looks toward her ridiculous companion, but the happiness is infectious, and she can’t really bring herself to be annoyed. Then she remembers what she’s supposed to be doing, and grabs another key. “Did you need a key?”

"words"

darya87 | larfsalot
on deviantart

@Sunjata @Mihtal @Astarot

Keep on coming! Posting order is a lie, come and go as you please. :)

Please tag in all posts
Image by Reli

Pippigrin Posts: 77
Dragon's Throat Gladiator atk: 6.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 10hh :: Two HP: 68 | Buff: NOVICE
Brandybuck :: Wolverine :: None Neverrmind

home is behind the world ahead
there are many paths to tread

Words spread as easily as wind over desert sand, though, Pippigrin was perhaps one of the last to hear of the key forging. Having not managed to collect the key from that coward Cathun, Pippigrin would simply have to resort ot having one made - he had been so keen on challenging for it and actually earning it though, that he'd trailed Cathun for days after in an attempt to nick it while he slept.
Sadly, not one of his attempts had proved successful.

When he heard of the keys being processed at the forge, Pippin had beat his wings with excitement and scampered away from his small nest in the Oasis. His tired legs didn't last long as a gallop, so soon he was simply trotting at the fastest pace he could manage up and down the dunes, wings flared and nostrils flared. He couldn't miss out! He was a guardian! guardian's had to have keys!

Upon approaching the forge, or perhaps it was it just a fire, Pippin gave a great hoot over the night-coloured sandunes, reflecting the moon and stars above.
"Am I late!?" He chirped desperately to those gathed "Wait for me! May I have one!?"

art: © x coding: © x

Sunjata Posts: 69
Dragon's Throat Sleuth atk: 4.5 | def: 10 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1hh :: Four HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Andikan :: Nile Crocodile :: Scream Skylark

S  U  N  J  A  T  A

Before the siren mare had a chance to respond to his question, Mihtal appeared with her brilliant, quiet voice reflecting his native tongue. His wings relaxed against his back as his feathers flattened out at hearing an explanation. His head swung over to her with a grateful look. “Jy is vol verrassings.” He chuckled before turning his head back to Syrena as she questioned the mare, his icy gaze lingering for a few moments before they landed on the hydra once again.

He remained quiet as they spoke, mentioning keys and places of which Mihtal had managed to see such a thing. She spoke of having keys, and Sunjata briefly remembered how Volterra crossed the sea with wings made of fire. Nodding slightly to her while offering a charming, rogueish smile, he paused until she’d offer him one. “Please.” He noted in the Helovian tongue. Not long after, did another equine appear, shifting from a blue jay into himself. Sunjata raised a curious eyebrow, eyeing the boy for a few moments before he introduced himself. “Sunjata, informant.” His thick accented voice rumbled to the man as his attention returned to Syrena and her companion that had changed. His brows furrowed in confusion, but another creature appeared – a tiny Pegasus that Jata had to try his best to not laugh at.

Where were these ridiculous sized ponies coming from? The thought didn’t last long as he glanced toward Mihtal, moving closer to her but still allowing her the space she seemed to like. “I hope you’re doing well, Mihtal.” He rumbled quietly to her, offering a small smile.

"Talk."

Jy is vol verrassings - you are full of surprises

We slipped into midnight
like the death of the sun.
img credits

Mentions @Astarot @Mihtal @Syrena

Pixel by bronzehalo.deviantart.com
Force/Magic permitted so long as it doesn't permanently harm him.
Please tag in every post!

Mihtal Posts: 26
Dragon's Throat Mare atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.0 :: 8 years HP: 56.0 | Buff: Novice
Reli
Mihtal
“Uhm,” I stammer when the peculiar wet seal-skinned mare addresses me—even though I’d been expecting her to speak, I hadn’t expected those words to come from her mouth.

She asks where I’m from, apparently surprised that I recognize the species of her five-headed companion, and (unintentionally or not) suddenly throws me into a spotlight I have long-since been trying to avoid. Uumalah, the pleasure oasis. It is a desert city full of life and bright colors, also brimming with sinful promises and the blackest secrets: my home, the only home I had ever known before finally fleeing to Helovia.

I am not proud of where I have come from, of what immoral deeds I have (been forced into) partaken in, or of what have I done (because you cannot live in such filth without becoming filth yourself). I lower my eyes to the red sands—so eerily, hauntingly familiar—and manage to answer her inquiry after a longer-than-normal pause: “I’m from Uumalah. It’s in Dorobo.” I try not to shuffle my weight, instead flicking the impossibly long length of my tail around my narrow hips.

Desperate not to lose myself in wounds and memories now, I clear my throat (twice), and take a deep, shuddering breath before pushing forward. “I’ve only seen one or two before, and never this close,” I explain clumsily to the mare, forcing my eyes to raise from beneath the shelter of my lashes.

Mercifully, she—the crafter—doesn’t waste time in much more conversation, and instead offers me a key of my own, which I take with a murmured, “Thank you.” Perhaps I should have expected some sort of rush of freedom, or relief, but any chance of that is effectively squashed when more people arrive. First there is a bird turning into a stallion, which probably would have roused more amazement from me if I weren’t so distracted with the sudden thundering of my heart, and I find myself lowering my head, allowing a curtain of hair to fall between myself and the stranger. And then there’s this itty bitty thing buzzing up to us with a voice much too loud and exuberant for my liking.

Before I even realize what I’m doing, I’m backing away from the crowd, my ears folded back uncertainly and my nostrils flaring. I would have disappeared right there if Sunjata’s voice hadn’t snagged me then.

My eyes snap to him, and I stare for a moment, trying to think past the panic that rages in my mind. “I am, I think,” I offer the blue jay feebly, shifting the angle of my body so that—at least by eyesight—the winged man shields me from the others. “I haven’t had much opportunity to explore Helovia yet,” I dangle the key pointedly, huffing something that’s supposed to be a chuckle. It’s flat, but I don’t really care.

“Speech.”
I pirouette in the dark
Tired mechanical heart—Beats til the song disappears
image credits
@Syrena @Sunjata
please tag Mihtal in all replies!
magic & force are permitted.

Dragon's Throat Forger
Syrena
let the water take me
She should recognize signs of sorrow, and discomfort. She should somehow know when Mihtal looks down, hesitates with her answer, that she doesn’t want to give it. Though Syrena doesn’t know, and even if she did, she had offered the mare an out. Which was entirely thanks to Thea, but still. And it wasn’t a very good out, but still. She was trying, really. It ought to count for something.

But the mare does answer, and the name of the place means nothing to Syrena. If Mihtal is worried about shame, she shouldn’t be. Syrena doesn’t know what this place is, and even if she did, she wouldn’t care. After all, Syrena had once been a siren. Had killed for sustenance and yes, a bit for pleasure (though did not kill now, there was no joy in pointless deaths). But she had been her own brand of temptress. She hardly judged someone else for that life.

But Syrena isn’t one for follow up questions, or real conversations, and anyway, there are more joining. A tiny little thing comes running up, being all sorts of squeaky and Syrena just stares at him for moment. She doesn’t quite know what to do with him, but Thea is happy to see someone slightly smaller around. She flits over to the stallion and chirps in his direction, trying to make friends as she always does. “Yes, I have keys,” she says simply, turning to grab another from the small pile and handing it over toward the tiny little stallion.

She’s still got keys left, but so far, no more had come. So she waits, letting them come and go.

"words"

darya87 | larfsalot
on deviantart

@Pippigrin

Please tag in all posts
Image by Reli

Reichenbach Posts: 62
Dragon's Throat Guardian atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7.0
Stallion :: Equine :: 17hh :: 8 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Space

"HOT LIKE THE PRODIGAL SON."

Each day passing brought more joy to the new Guardian of the Throat - living at the Throat seemed to be an endless supply of pleasantness, from it's delightful warmth to it's wonderful residents, Reich couldn't decide if he'd ever been happier. The sun was warm upon his broad back and shoulders, lending it's heat to shine his mahogany skin and butter up the coils of ebony hair that fell messily about his face and hocks. He was a handsome man, in a rough, rougish kind of way - with rugged bone structure and playful eyes, surrounded by a thicket of long black lashes. In a way, he was still new to the Throat, despite his position, and he'd yet to meet many of his fellow herdmates. With that thought in mind, he made his way back toward civilisation.

There was a gathering at the Diviners Fire, and so Reich promptly changed direction and trotted purposefully toward the crew, a pleasant smile spreading his ebony lips. He only really knew Pippigrin, though he'd seen most of the faces gathered at the flames... except for the one who seemed to be in charge. Reichenbach slipped his eyes from face to face, lingering momentarily on Mihtal's dainty features before finding Syrena and the keys. "I'd love one of those" he chimed in, baritone voice thrumming over the murmured voices. He grinned, glancing to Pip with a shared excitement. They were both relatively new here, and brothers in arms - for they both shared the title of Guardian, and both relished their position and friendship with equal happiness.

Sorry I'm so late!!
please tag Reich in all posts
Force & Magic allowed short of permanent maiming & death

Astarot Posts: 81
Dragon's Throat Sun Physician atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17.1 :: 2 (Birdsong) HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zafír :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Pare
kisses
from the
deep
The stallion smiled at everyone enjoying their odd looks. When it came to his family he didn't standout, but among others his magic set him apart. He dipped his head in greeting to Sunjata before adding his new rank, "Forgive me, I'm an Alchemist. That's going to take some time to remember." He chuckled softly before looking back at Syrena. "It's a pleasure to meet both of you."

Zafir watched the creature shift to that of a bird and she huffed sending frost rolling from her muzzle. Couldn't the silly thing see she was tired of birds? She turned her head the other way ignoring the companion. Astarot watched the bird for a moment before turning to the other lady. She looked very uncomfortable. He stepped back and towards the crafter trying to give her some more space. He smiled at her gently trying to ease her mind. He wouldn't harm her, but he knew that might not be her only problem.

He turned back to Syrena to answer her question, "Yes ma'am I do need a key." He smiled softly hoping she would hand him one so he could continue on his way. He wanted to leave and give the lithe worried mare her space. (insert grabbing key). Before he could leave another showed up, Pippigrin. He squeezed his eyes shut tight for a moment before nodding to him. He turned and smiled softly at the others he had met before speaking. "It was nice to meet all of you. If you ever get hurt or need me just call out. Thank you for the key Miss Syrena." He smiled at them all before turning and leaving Zafir asleep on his powerful back.

Talk
Words:: 284
Tags:: @Syrena @Sunjata  @Mihtal Leaves as Reichenbach shows up
[Image: silver_dreamer_mist_trans_tag_by_are_we_...a8y6wy.png]