the Rift

[OPEN] are you my mother?

Iona Posts: 100
World's Edge Specter atk: 7.5 | def: 11 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 11 (birdsong) HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Iver :: Osprey :: None Kiki

I O N A

The winds were angry this morning, so Iona decided she’d cut her airborne patrol short for the day. Just before Iona’s hooves reached the earth, she was caught by a great gust of wind and thrown into the branches of the tree nearest to the edge of the clearing. She let out a huff at the decidedly ungraceful landing, far from the usual for the well practiced pegasus. She gave her wings a once-over to ensure no feathers had been knocked out of place.  Content that no damage had been done, she folded her wings tightly against her sides and prepared to disappear among the thick mess of trees. However, something out of place caught her eye before her first footfall fell.

Something, it appeared, had also fallen victim to the wind.  That or her little tangle with the tree.  Iona set her lips in a firm line before stepping closer, narrowing her emerald eyes as she tried to make out what it was.  When she saw what it was, her dark lips pulled into a frown. 

A single egg alone in a nest that had evidently been dislodged from its home in the branches.  The egg looked unharmed and was a creamy white mottled with reddish-brown patches.  Iona cursed under her breath before studying the branches of the tree above, trying to discern just where the nest once sat. Maybe if she could just put it back the mother wouldn’t notice.  However when she looked back to the nest, she noticed the
“No, no, no,” the mare muttered, in a panic. “I have to put you back first!”  She looked around wildly for any larger birds, but to no avail.  This chick was hatching, and seemed quite determined to rid itself of its shell.  Iona worried if she replaced the nest back in the tree, it would simply blow right out of the branches again.  Paralyzed, the mare watched dumbly as the little bird freed itself of its shell and stared up at her with beady, golden eyes.  Iona wasn’t at all sure what she felt.  There was still the guilt and the panic - but there was something else there too. Something she didn’t understand. That confused her and made her uncomfortable. 

“Oh no, don’t look at me. I’m not your mother,” she muttered, taking a half-step back from the bird still tucked safely in its nest.  But the little bird was unrelenting and quite obviously starving. So hungry, in fact, that Iona was beginning to believe that she could feel the little bird’s hunger.  But that was absurd, so she simply brushed away the thought as nonsense.  But it did begin to dawn on her that she in no way had the capacity to take care of a baby bird but at the same time she felt herself utterly unable to abandon the helpless thing.  So she stood there entirely perplexed about how she’d gotten herself into this mess, utterly confused about what to do, and suddenly inexplicably ravenous. 

image credit

Come laugh at Iona who doesn't realize she's bonded!
Tagging @Alysanne who was interested

Please tag IONA in all posts.
Force and magic permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.
image credit 

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah
"I'LL BE THERE FOR YOU THROUGH IT ALL,
EVEN IF SAVING YOU SENDS ME TO HEAVEN."

Alysanne had been grazing nearby when the commotion of someone coming through the trees in a very ungraceful manner caused her head to shoot upwards - green eyes scanning the canopy. The tell-tale shake of some trees followed by a glimpse of a black and white figure caused her alarm to turn into quiet amusement. Sometimes, the depths to which she and Iona were similar even surprised her. Still, she didn’t want to risk assuming that Iona was safe and quickly moved off from her grazing spot to check on her sister. Hemlock swooped down from his branch along with her, still munching on a dragonfly that he had caught a few moments ago.

They were surprised to find Iona hovering near a nest, with a hatched egg in it - the little bird quite obviously hungry and looking at Iona in a very familiar way. Alysanne’s eyes flickered to Hemlock, remembering the chilly Frostfall day that he had hatched, and how quickly their bond had formed. Was Iona experiencing that same thing now? Or was this just an ordinary bird, and they would soon have an angry mother on their hands.

Hemlock arrived moments before Alysanne did, greeting Iona with an excited series of hoots before landing near the nest. Companion or not, the little bird needed some food, and the flammulated owl was hopping closer with a half-chewed dragonfly ready for offering.

“Well look at that!” Alysanne exclaimed in delight as she came to stand beside her sister, nudging Iona with a gentle push of her wing. “Looks like you’ve found yourself a new friend.” She teased lightly, her smile bright and shining when she looked back to the baby bird. Though some found young hatchlings rather ugly, Alysanne had to disagree - there was something so innocent and heart-wrenching about those shining golden eyes. If this was to be her sister’s companion, she was excited to see what type of bird it would grow into.

A L Y S A N N E the devoted queen  
and
I O N A the specter
image credit
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Kiada Posts: 181
World's Edge Nurse
Filly :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 2 years - Birdsong
Khairi :: Leucistic Lammergeier :: Paralyze Skylark
you are not the only one
with truth like poison in their veins
It was windy today, so much so that Kiada was growing infinitely annoyed with the way it pushed and pulled her mane in every direction. It had grown long, as she kept her head down to graze, feeling the small tug of it as it latched itself to a few twigs that had fallen from the tree directly above her. Suddenly, a giant commotion occurred in the trees nearby, startling the young girl. She thought it was Khairi at first, but it sounded far too big of a creature to be her little pale vulture. Immediately, she swallowed her mouthful before she began to investigate.

As she approached, she spotted two bodies that looked vaguely familiar, surrounding something that was situated on the ground. As she surveyed the two beings from the shadows, she noticed Alysanne was there with her companion, and a woman she hadn’t spoken to before, but she had seen before. Suddenly, Alysanne’s voice met her ears with a familiar phrase. “Looks like you’ve found yourself a new friend.” Deer began to sprout within the fire that danced across her spine as Kiada grew curious of what kind of companion it was. Would it change and shift like Syrena’s? Or was it just a normal bird like Khairi was?

She moved from the shadows, offering the two a small smile and a dip of her head. “Hello!” She called out to them, doing her best to be as polite as possible despite the fact she had confessed her commitment to Kaos an entire season ago. She kept her distance, unsure if they’d want her to approach further, but she still lowered her inky head to look at the little chick along the ground. Khairi appeared now, clutching a little dead mouse in his talons as he landed on the ground, a bit closer to the chick. Quickly, he tore off a little strip of meat as his bright red eyes looked up at Iona and Alysanne before hopping slightly closer to offer it to the chick just as Hemlock had offered part of his own meal. He squawked a hello to Hemlock and the chick, before awaiting permission to gift the chick with the strip of meat.

Is it your companion?” She questioned, her sapphire gaze (so much like her father's) moving toward Iona as she asked.

"Talk."
who's ribs are shaped like cages—
holding tightly to the pain.
Kiada
image | coding

@Iona hope you don't mind :D

IT'S SAID SHE'S MADE OF STORM CELLS
AND A WILD WOLF'S HUNGRY HEART,
THAT SHE'S LEARNT THE LIGHTNING'S SECRET
TO RIPPING DARKENED SKIES APART.

Iona Posts: 100
World's Edge Specter atk: 7.5 | def: 11 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 11 (birdsong) HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Iver :: Osprey :: None Kiki

I O N A

Iona’s solitary panic didn’t last for long.  When the dark mare caught sight of her sister, she released an audible sigh of relief. She wanted to take a step closer to her twin, but still found herself unable to stray too far from the little bird for some inexplicable reason.  And she was still so hungry.  Doing her best to ignore what she couldn’t explain, she looked imploringly at her sister (failing to recognize the mirth in the lighter sibling’s eyes). 

“Aly! Thank god you’re here. I accidentally knocked the nest out of the tree and then the damn thing hatched and the thing is starving and I must have scared the mother off and I certainly don’t know what to feed it,” she says in a rush, hardly stopping to breathe, much less think about the words tumbling from her lips.  She was pleased to see her sister’s companion - glad that he wasn’t messing up her hair for once - because at least someone would have some idea what to feed this poor thing. “I know he’s hungry,” Iona said to to the little owl, infinitely appreciative of his ability to find tiny bird appropriate things and not even considering the fact that she knew, inherently, that the baby bird was both hungry and a he. She gestured with her nose for the owl to feel free to approach the nestling. 

The chick, in his nest, peeped happily at Hemlock’s offering - beady eyes zeroing in on the dragonfly.  Curiosity bloomed as he studied the larger bird, though he intermittently glanced back at the large, black mare with peeps and chirps erupting from the ball of fuzz on a regular basis. The same curiosity bloomed in Iona’s own mind, as she watched the interaction between the two avians - her brow furrowed as she struggled to process what the hell was going on. 

It seemed that they had caused quite a scene, because a filly that Iona recognizes as one of Tembovu’s children though doesn’t know by name.  The Specter is still too frazzled to greet the girl properly, but is able dip her head in some form of politeness.  The girl was also accompanied by a large bird who immediately went to the assistance of the little thing that Iona had discovered.  The chick, again, became more lively at the prospect of food, hopping to the edge of the nest.  The yet to be named osprey hopped right over to the larger avian, eager to accept the gift and unwilling to wait for permission.  Iona let out a soft snort of amusement.  Sassy little thing, she thought to herself.  As if the creature somehow managed to hear her, he turned and looked her right in the eye - letting out a string of happy sounding noises - before returning to his meal. 

Dumbfounded, the painted mare simply watched.  That was until the filly spoke again.  The girl’s words - a simple enough question - caused Iona to freeze in place.  A vacant expression crossed her emerald eyes as her mind slipped away.

Companion? The thought rattled around in Iona’s now strangely silent mind. She hadn’t even considered the possibility that this wasn’t an ordinary orphan baby bird. That it was it was a companion egg that she had unintentionally discovered. “Oh.” She said, with a vacant expression as slowly - very slowly - the pieces began to fall into place.  Green eyes remained unfocused as she slowly blinked herself back to the present - back to full consciousness.  She looked at the girl for a moment before looking down to the little bird, peering up at her with a knowing sort of glance.   “I - uh…” words failed her as her tongue grew thick in her mouth. “But - I didn’t want...”  She looked over at Aly, the panic returning, but again her gaze was drawn back to the little bird.  

“Well shit,” is what she finally settled on, the shock and disbelief still coloring her words. Well. That’s one way to welcome your companion to the world. 

image credit

@Alysanne 
@Kiada

Please tag IONA in all posts.
Force and magic permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.
image credit 

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah
"I'LL BE THERE FOR YOU THROUGH IT ALL,
EVEN IF SAVING YOU SENDS ME TO HEAVEN."

A familiar face and voice drew Alysanne’s attention away from Iona and she whickered a soft hello to Kiada, motioning with her head that the girl could get closer if she wished. Iona still looked a little too stunned to invite her over herself, anyway. Then Kiada said the c-word and the reaction in Iona was like she had just gotten the worst news of her life. They had seen true horrors together but it took bonding to an adorable baby bird to make her sister speechless.

Meanwhile, Hemlock was, to put it lightly, distressed that the hatchling took more readily to the offering from the larger bird. He fluffed his feathers up in indignation but didn’t fly off just yet. Maybe the little bird would still be hungry after the piece of meat! He placed the dragonfly lightly on the ground and hooted in encouragement.

Alysanne felt for her sister, she really did, but it was too difficult to keep the smile off of her face. It brightened her eyes and she reached over to nudge her sister encouragingly. “Oh, don’t despair, dear sister! It’s quite a wonderful thing, really. You'll get used to it.” She hadn’t meant to bond to Hemlock, either. His egg had been so long and cold on the beach, years and years ago now, and she had cared for it. Cared for him with the help of Nayati and Rathunax. It never failed to entertain her that a dragon had been the one to give Hemlock his first meals and feed him until he could hunt on his own and now the little owl hated dragons so passionately.

She and Kiada could help Iona now the way that she had been helped. Horses weren’t meant to hunt for birds, after all, and the owl and Kiada’s beautiful bird of prey would be more suited to the task.

She glanced at Kiada and winked before looking back to Iona. Her voice took on a lightly teasing tone when she continued speaking. “You’re going to have to name him now, you know.”

A L Y S A N N E the devoted queen  
and
I O N A the specter
image credit

@Kiada
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Kiada Posts: 181
World's Edge Nurse
Filly :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 2 years - Birdsong
Khairi :: Leucistic Lammergeier :: Paralyze Skylark
you are not the only one
with truth like poison in their veins
The filly was thankful when Alysanne noted that she could get closer. Happily, the fiery child stepped closer, the flames along her back cascading with playful otters as she watched the interaction before her.  She nodded to Iona as she noticed the slight dip of her head in greeting, despite being so emotionally overloaded from this silly turn of events. A small smile began to form on Kiada’s lips, watching as the little osprey greedily took the meat away from Khairi. He hopped away briefly to retrieve the mouse he had murdered and brought it back to the gathering, pulling off little pieces and tossing it toward the bird before glancing toward Hemlock and offering him a guttural croon of “You can hang out too.

A small chuckle escaped Kiada’s lips as she listened, Alysanne mentioning that she’d get used to it. “I found Khairi a few months after I was born. I can’t imagine what my life would be like without him.” She mused, her gaze softening on the pale bird of prey as he helped out the chick and crooned for Hemlock’s company. “Did I upset him?” Khairi grumbled through the bond, eyeing the filly with his scarlet, piercing eyes before looking back to Hemlock, apologies strewn across his face.

Then, when Alysanne mentioned that Iona would have to name him, Kiada nodded quickly. Her action caused her white forelock to move out of her eyes as her dark head swung back to Iona. “It won't be hard picking one they'll like. They’ll let you know if they don't.” She added in, her voice slipping out as deep honey, coating her words as she reminisced how long it took her to figure out what to name her vulture; all the options she had come up with were despised greatly by the bird. Then, she shifted her weight, eyes slipping from the osprey chick to Iona on what the name might be.

"Talk."
who's ribs are shaped like cages—
holding tightly to the pain.
Kiada
image | coding

@Iona <33

IT'S SAID SHE'S MADE OF STORM CELLS
AND A WILD WOLF'S HUNGRY HEART,
THAT SHE'S LEARNT THE LIGHTNING'S SECRET
TO RIPPING DARKENED SKIES APART.