the Rift

[OPEN] Are you particularly interested in plants? [Welcoming]

Lyanna the Windswept Posts: 313
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 11 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 5 years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Kyra

let the winds erase me,

like the memory of a kiss

She had never really stopped to consider why Helovia had felt safe either. It wasn’t safe, really, if she thinks of Kaos and whatever is to come. No place is completely safe though. But when she’d arrived, she’d simply felt like she’d found a place where no one from her past life would find her. Where even if they did, it wouldn’t matter. Without her magic she was no threat, and here, so far from Morham, it was clear she did not intend to try and claim her throne. Morham was no longer home. The horses she had cared about here gone, either dead or fled, as she had. And what was a throne without anyone to care for?

Yves handles the little stallion from the Throat with quite a lot of grace. Lyanna can’t quite imagine being so kind to anyone who went shoving their noses into her lady parts, and she has to give Yves some credit. It is, admittedly, a little funny to watch, and it takes some effort not to laugh aloud at the whole situation. But that seems rude, and so she keeps her face a pleasant mask of general friendliness. And then he explains his name, and she nearly beams, because he named after a tree. Which is basically awesome, in her book.

Even his joke amuses her, because she’s not overly worried. He seems unlikely to hurt her, or anyone else for that matter. Besides, though he shares a name with a poisonous conifer, he is not actually a poisonous conifer. He’s a horse. They are, clearly, very different things. “You are named after a tree, and you can describe the tree and its medicinal uses. How could that possibly scare me off?” she says, smiling delightedly as he accepts her offer to come to the Edge and talk of plants.

She gives him a moment to address the others, and lets them speak in their turn before finally saying, “Shall we?” Though she remembers Astarot’s offer, because it is not the first she’s had to head to the Throat. And she would very much like to see the Throat and meet the healers there. Her trip to the Basin had been wonderful and rewarding, and she wanted to meet the rest of Helovia’s healers as well. Lyanna nods in the direction of the Edge and sets off, keeping an eye on Yves to match his pace as they go.

“Are you particularly interested in plants, or are you a worldly scholar who likes to study everything?” She asks, genuinely curious what his answer would be. Besides, it’s a long enough walk they might as well talk and get to know one another. She keeps up whatever conversation he wants to have until the glass spikes and metal gate of the Edge come into view. The gate stands open as it always does, and she heads through it, diving into the misty forests of the Edge with the intention of bringing him to the cliff.

Because really, you do not come to the World’ Edge and skip seeing the edge of the world. The trees thin soon enough and the cliffs come into view, the horizon stretching impossibly far before them. “This is why we are called the World’s Edge,” she says with a smile, hoping he’ll like it.

lyanna

let these waters takes me

Image © Rhiaan

@Yves and any who would like to come welcome Yves!

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Kiki

Yves Posts: 4
World's Edge Stallion
Stallion :: Equine :: 17 :: 5
Grace
Unaccustomed to being led, Yves nonetheless contentedly takes to following his fellow botany enthusiast. He is happy to leave the stilted conversation of the Threshold, and Lyanna proves to be a delightful guide. As they wander the woods, Yves finds himself enjoying not needing to pay attention to where he’s going; ignorance is a privilege he has rarely been afforded over the past year. After finding a suitable opportunity to discretely discard of the sourgrass, he feels even more at ease. The other stallions’ disappointed reactions are soon forgotten as he delves into the opportunity to nerd out about plants with an obvious expert, particularly one as alluring as the ombre-winged mare. “Plants are my specialty,” He confirms, his lilting French accent more apparent without a mouthful of cud. “Healers impress me,” He continues with a slyly complimentary smile, explaining, “My studies tend to be more academic than practical. Identification, growing conditions, things like that.” Yves had always gathered and grown the plants, dissecting and scrutinizing them for clues to their properties, while his best friend did most of the healing. This further explanation he keeps to himself.

Mist swirls lazily through the woods, as if even the fog has grown tired of this hot season. A dark iron gate provides passage to the place Yves deduces must be the World’s Edge; he quietly appraises the towering trees and familiar rocky soil, nodding his unspoken approval. As the wood thins out, the earthy smell of the forest intermingles with the salty and oddly nostalgic scent of the ocean. Even before they reach the view, Yves is profoundly content. Once they arrive at Lyanna’s chosen destination, though, he is stunned. Beyond the sheer white cliffs, the deep crystal blues of the sea – he can’t help but notice how parts of it very nearly match the mare’s accents – seem to go on forever. “It’s incredible,” He offers, keenly aware of the inadequacy of words for such a place. He stares quietly for some moments, his heart happy simply to share a moment with another soul. Finally breaking the silence, he faces Lyanna again and asks, “Have you always lived here?”
just pin your heartbeat up against my heartbeat;
you'll see how well we rhyme.

@Lyanna

Lyanna the Windswept Posts: 313
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 11 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 5 years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Kyra

- sometimes in the wind of change -

The conversation is easy, and she enjoys it. Though conversation about plants always does seem to come easily for her now, which is strange. How different she is now, how far she’s come. Perhaps it makes sense; perhaps it explains her love of the forest back in Morham. The way the trees became her friends, reaching out to touch her in a friendly hello whenever she visited. She’d always thought it had more to do with the way the wind and the trees whispered to one another, the leaves laughing. But she still loved the forests, even here, and she couldn’t hear the wind as she once could. So perhaps it had always been a love of plants, even before she’d known.

“It’s not too hard to learn the practical applications, especially if you already know the academics behind it. I didn’t know all that much until a few years ago. I just spent nearly all my waking moments playing with plants.” She gives a light laugh, as if this hadn’t been because she’s more or less refused to interact with others. Which isn’t quite right. She would interact, but the loss of her old life weighed too much, and she kept to herself.

Sometimes, she still does. She still spends a lot of time in the greenhouse, though in the years she’s been here, she’s made friends, found something of a life. It’s not the same as having a family, and she will never stop missing them, but her friends keep her going. Her purpose in the Edge gives her a reason to keep going, and she’s always glad to bring others here. The Edge was a second chance for her, and she hopes it can be the same for others.

They come to the cliffs and he seems to like it. She smiles, teal eyes watching him more than the view. The view has become familiar to her, one she never takes for granted, but not necessarily one she always wants to see. She’s more interested in his reaction than the view today. “No, I came to Helovia a few years ago. Though I’ve always lived in the Edge since I came. It reminds me of my old home, a bit, and everyone has always been kind and welcoming.” Not that the other herds weren’t kind and welcoming, but the Edge had always felt right.

“Are you interested in a job here? You don’t have to have one, but we have healers, obviously, if you wanted to learn more. Though even if you don't, I can show you the greenhouse and the garden.” She smiles a bit wider at that, nodding her head in the direction of the greenhouse not too far off. “And we have Seers. Their job is to collect the history of the herd and to call upon the Moon Goddess when we need her guidance. We also have sleuths, warriors, and crafters.” She falls silent then, figuring she’s said more than enough.

- we find our true direction -

lyanna

@Yves

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Kiki

Yael Posts: 186
World's Edge Seer atk: 7.5 | def: 11 | dam: 2.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.2 :: 39 - appears 8 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zani :: Serval :: None Astor
the cliffs. It immediately occurs to her that she hasn’t told her friend that Toulouse has left, and ignorant of any ill-will between the two of them, all she remembers is their kind interactions. Circling down in a lazy, gradual descent, Yael gracefully lands a good distance away from the pair, keenly aware that sometimes those without wings are unaccustomed to horses just appearing from above. A joyful whicker towards the duo precedes any movement while she takes a moment to situate all those gold and black feathers.

Feeling presentable, Yael trots along the rim of the cliffs towards them with a spritely gait, this time greeting her fellow herdmate with an enthusiastic “Leeanna! Shalom! Her dainty, long face extends to touch the mare on the shoulder, before her gaze travels up, up, up to the gray stallion at her side. Lyanna was often coming and going to the Threshold, bolstering their numbers with surprising regularity. “Ah, you must be new, yes?” Her easy smile expands as she steps back to take the whole of the stallion in. “Velcome to ze Edge. I’m Yael.”

Her tongue trips over the words with an ease that says she is fluent, but most definitely not native to Helovia. Or any neighboring land, for that matter.

Yael

a lover of the light

@Yves - Welcome!
@Lyanna

Please only tag in starter posts, or if the thread is getting dusty
Force and magic allowed, no death please

Tilney Posts: 288
World's Edge Moon Doctor atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2hh :: VI HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Peatree :: Lesser Fruit Bat :: None Neverrmind
Tilney

Aiya Anor, Elenion Ancalima!

It was only out of sheer curiosity that Tilney ambled further through the forest, a keen verdant gaze pricked and watching the commotion unfold.
In truth, perhaps it was simply the fact that whether excited Yael this much also excited him. Days in the Edge were sometimes dull for his Doctor, one who laboured in the greenhouse and in the fields every day. On the subject of plants, however, Tilney was greatly experienced and interested. Spending every hour of every day investigating plants for their healing properties, applying them to wounds, and nurturing them within the garden and greenhouse tended to provide one with a wealthy knowledge base.
"a new one!" Peatree has chirped from his place above, hanging somewhere in the canopy.

The gentleman they spoke to appeared both patient and obliging to the two ladies who, from Tilney's stance among the trees, appeared to be mobbing him with plant-based chatter. It only caused a great smile to appear on the great stallion's face; an affectionate one at that. He did truly admire Lyanna, and also had plenty of time for Yael. Whoever this gentleman was, however, was perhaps being let in without too much of a second guess. Did they have no mind of border security, biosecurity, and all other kinds of security.

And so the tree-stamped stag strode forth in slow, collected steps towards the approaching group, lantern lit and welcoming. At first, he said nothing; just smiled towards the approaching group, the newcomer in particular. Tilney's green eyes combed over the man, wondering where he had come from if not from Helovia at all.
"Lyanna, Yael; my sisters" He greeted the ladies, turning his nose between each one before it settled once more upon the great grey. "What might I call you, brother?"
Peatree soared down from his place among the trees, zooming down to land upon the poll, right between the ears of the new recruit to give a thorough investigation.
"It's a mandatory physical exam" Tilney explained with a shake of his own crown "Biosecurity and all that nonsense—
Peatree"

"From threshold! I smell threshold"
Calling his bonded back to him and off the poor gentleman's head, Tilney gave a nod at his companion's diagnosis.
"I'd advise a good wash in our lake, sir."

☀︎

x

Wander or Leave
turn in to winter lights
☀︎