the Rift

[OPEN] Dark Clouds

Roux Posts: 57
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 5 :: Orangemoon HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Edison :: Red Kite :: Rage Semper

I slipped, stumbled even, as a single cream colored hoof clipped a stray, slick rock that littered the narrow path I was navigating. Dark rimmed ears flicked restlessly back and forth atop my dented and tarnished crown, listening carefully as the waves crashed against the rocky bridge. Growing mildly irritated as the larger waves crashed against my hocks making the path even more treacherous. The fact my moony eyes were sightless mattered not as I hesitated with each step, even the most sure footed creature with the eyesight of the gods would stumble along this path.

Why it was the one I chose to follow today was still a mystery.

Once again I had removed myself from the herd that had welcomed me with a warm embrace. Once again I found myself wandering through the lands of Helovia without a purpose, just me and the red bird of prey who wheeled overhead warning me of any larger obstacles that my other, heightened senses wouldn't catch on to. Even from here I could feel the irritation growing over our mental bond and I couldn't blame Edison for the way he was feeling. He had thought I was finally ready to settle down and call the Edge home. But it appeared otherwise. My thoughts flicked back to the night I had left, looking over my shoulder once as the full moon caused the broken glass wall to glitter and shine like something out of a fairy tale. At first my steps were slow, hesitant, as I thought of my brother and the pale, spotted ghost who had known my father so well. But it wasn't long before my stride had lengthened and the distance between myself and the Edge of the World grew significantly. Edison had been nestled happily in the tall branches of the pines that grew along the cliff side, once he realized I was further away than normal he had hunted me down without any problems other than some serious irritation with my wandering soul that he was involuntarily tied to.

A sigh of relief flicked over the mental frequency that he and I shared as I hit was I could only assume was the Vein of the Gods. I wasn't sure why I was here or what had even drew us here. Edison's whistle filled the air as he wheeled through the clear, blue sky before landing on my scarred withers. His talons digging into nerve damaged skin from our travels together, as he sent mental images of the dark clouds gathering over the horizon of the ocean. "Careful." He urged as I stepped closer to the ruined shrines, wondering if one of them would show me why I was here. Or if the gods had brought me here as some kind of joke to make me be social with some poor sap who needed guidance.

"" text
ROUX
couldn't say I love you,
so I became heartless

image credits
open for anyone
hope this isn't too shitty since I haven't posted in forever
Now waking to the sun
I calculate what I had done
Like jumping from the bow
Just to prove that I knew how
</style>
pixel by nikkayla

Albrecht Posts: 249
Aurora Basin Impersonator atk: 6 | def: 8.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1hh :: 19 (Orangemoon) HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Strom :: Suma Ball Python :: None Townsen
albrecht
Almost two years the old stallion has lived in Helovia, though usually cloistered away in the Aurora Basin like one more rusting, lifeless effigy of times gone past, and though the idea of gods, living or otherwise, was something of an adjustment to his heavily logic based mind, already he’s met – or at least seen from a short distance - three of the four patron deities and witnessed the birth of a fifth only last season. Even so, he knows very little about the Helovian Ancients, and that combined with the obvious authority they hold over the four – now three – herdlands is unsettling.

The unknown is a frightening thing, so he sets off to learn a little more about these reigning powers, having already seen and studied the etchings and murals in the Heart Caves and learned from some of the natives that there are shrines located not much farther south of there. He moves slowly, wary of the waves that continually wash across the low stones of a makeshift bridge connecting the archipelago to the mainland, his eyes torn between mapping out a traversable route and sweeping up to scan the fascinating surroundings.

The Veins is an impressive meeting of elements with its verdant jungles, stony crags, and white capped waves all ringing what appears to be the main event; an enormous volcano mound complete with billowing smoke and vents in the surface that reveal shimmering, blistering flows of magma moving far too close to the surface for an old stallions liking. He skirts around these pits, though he’s appreciative of the permeating warmth they provide, and continues to follow the thin, unkempt trail toward the summit.

When he reaches it, winded and with head hanging low in his efforts of climbing, he isn't expecting anything but the four shrines to be standing in front of him. That something else is standing in front of him is alarming for about half a second, until the bay stallions head turns and the silvery white of his eyes is illuminated by the fires nearby.

"Hello." He calls, not wanting to startle the stranger and stifling a sudden surge of panic from his companion who sits wrapped around one twisted, backswept horn, the arrival of some sort of eagle setting the young pythons heart to hammering. One of the stallions ears flicks back, his thoughts splitting between trying to sooth the snake and trying to articulate himself to the bay.

"Doesn't that hurt?" He asks, nodding toward the birds grasping talons, realizing too late that the other stallion probably can't see his gesture. He'd asked the Indomitable the same question, though the scars across his brawny back were caused by dragon claws instead of raptor. They all look similarly painful to the black and he wonders why a bonded pair would continually cause and allow such wounds.

"Talk."
OOC // @Roux
Bah bah black sheep,
Have you any soul?

image | coding

[Image: 56c616e54affc]Rated M, R, NC-17, AO, 18+, NSFW
Tag dat azz!  @Albrecht
Violence & Magic okay.
Wish - Away - OOC

Roux Posts: 57
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 5 :: Orangemoon HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Edison :: Red Kite :: Rage Semper

"Company." The kite spoke up as he settled onto my withers, striped black with scar tissue from our time together, Edison was old enough to speak full, well-educated sounding phrases but the red bird tended to stick with one or two words as of late. His irritation with me keeping him from having any desire to carry on a full conversation. Not that I complained, being able to have my own mind and remain quite was well...just what I wanted. My tarnished crown turned just as the sound of the newcomer's hooves against stone hit my flicked back ears. I wondered what had brought this other creature out to a place as treacherous as the Vein with a storm brewing just over the horizon. Even if the kite hadn't lent his vision to me, the storm was obvious as the air filled with the crackling of electricity and each breathe seemed to grow heavier and heavier with enough humidity to choke.

"Hello." The dark creature spoke, a simple greeting, that had I not already noted his presence would have likely saved him from having his blood boiled in his veins. I turned, facing the stranger full on as the kite leaned forward to look over my broad shoulders. Sending me short snapshots of the scrawny animal who stood before me. He was a queer looking character, dark as the ground under fallen leaves in a forest with twisting horns sprouting from his scalp and a beard that traveled the expanse of his undercarriage the color of rust on a nail that had been exposed to the world for far too long. My ivory tipped skull bobbed up and down in a greeting to the bag of bone and muscle that stood before me, there wasn't much time for words to be added to the greeting before the stranger's mouth opened once again.

"Doesn't that hurt?" His voice rose over the sound of waves crashing and the crackling of wood burning in an eternal fire, causing Edison to ruffle his feathers and flex his talons, releasing my flesh only to grab it once again as he realized the question was directed towards his perch. The corners of my dark stained lips twitched up into a smirk as my vocal chords finally sprung into action. "I believe it did when he and I were both younger, our bond newer....but now it's as if he was meant to perch there." Moon eyes shifted upwards, as if I could see where the snake twisted about the towers then back to where we would have been making eye contact. It was always interesting to tell if someone would continue eye contact with a creature who was obviously blind as I, or if they would avert their gaze for fear of feeling rude or uncomfortable. "I am Roux, and this pleasant fellow is Edison. Who might you be?" As much as I disliked conversation and being social, my mother had raised me with at least a decent amount of manners...not to mention, I was still curious as to what had brought the fool out to the isle.

"" text
ROUX
couldn't say I love you,
so I became heartless

image credits
@Albrecht
<3
Now waking to the sun
I calculate what I had done
Like jumping from the bow
Just to prove that I knew how
</style>
pixel by nikkayla

Sacre Posts: 274
World's Edge Emissary atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 5 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Inari :: Red Fox :: Heal & Ríona :: Common Kitsune :: Electric imi
It was sometime between his travels back from the Throat to the Edge that he made a detour via the Veins, deciding it had been a while since he had visited this part of the Wilds and it wasn't all that much out of his way. He could simply strike out west afterward and follow the coastline home. The Endless Blue was made a little more daunting of a place to visit given the proximity of it to what was the deadlands, but as long as he didn't venture too far south alone, he should be fine. Or, at least, that was what he had surmised for himself. Once he reached the land bridge and looked up at the rocky path that led to the shrines at the top, he let out a great sigh "I'd forgotten about that" he mourned. The two foxes, who were curled in the grove of his back, barely lifted their heads to survey their surroundings, wrinkling their noses at the smell of the volcano before returning back to sleep. It wasn't them who had to trek up the path anyway. 

The young Doctor soon began to make the ascent, grumbling in parts of it and flinching from the hot rocks in others. It was a spectacle to see, a volcano, though Sacre would have much rather it spewed lava a little further away from the path he was so laboriously trying to walk up. There was also the prospect of the approaching storm that made him ask questions of his own good sense. When eventually he found he was nearing what looked like the summit, relief flooding through his body, he soon found out he wasn't entirely alone in this silly trek. 

At first, the fox-boy didn't properly see him, his attention was instead on that of the older guy, one he faintly recognised, probably from a Threshold visit sometime, he had a python wrapped around his horn and hair underneath instead of on top. Whilst gathering his wits the fox-boy stumbled, perhaps close to bumping into the fellow, whose name he couldn't recall, only to remember he had a snake on his head and he jumped back startled. "Mother of Gods" he muttered, before dipping his head in apology and smiling gingerly "I'm sorry, its just snakes always set my teeth on edge" he admitted, eyeing the python with great uncertainty, all whilst remembering Toulouse and his friend. In his sudden movement, he had (quite unwisely) unseated two now rather disgruntled foxes, who had jumped to the ground, their beady gazes burning into Sacre, who was instead staring with his mouth agape at the other, strikingly familiar red stallion, present. 

"You" he choked, tears suddenly welling into his eyes, "you—where have you been?" he half demanded and half laughed in relief. Suddenly all those days he had spent looking for his twin came flooding back, the thoughts that he might never see him again, that something had happened to him and his arrow wasn't working anymore. Yet, here he was, having a normal conversation, next a volcano albeit, as if it had always been that easy to find him. Sacre didn't know whether to laugh or cry. "I've been looking for you everywhere" he sobbed, gazing into his twin's milky gaze with a stab of guilt—he had promised to help him fix those. 

After that he let the relief flood him and looked witheringly at the elderly fellow "you have no idea how hard it is to find this guy" he commented with exasperation, still laughing and crying.
Fox Boy

image credits

@Roux @Albrecht I'm sorry I had to D: <33

There's something wretched about this
Something so precious about this

❚ Force permitted!
❚ Please tag me!

Albrecht Posts: 249
Aurora Basin Impersonator atk: 6 | def: 8.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1hh :: 19 (Orangemoon) HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Strom :: Suma Ball Python :: None Townsen
albrecht
The ginger bodied bird peers around his sightless bonded, no doubt providing his own vision where the former lacks, something the old stallion is accustomed to doing with his own companion, one having slightly better distance vision and the other sporting a unique method of mapping the world through scent and thermal signatures, together creating a fuller illustration of the world around them than either could assemble alone. This, at least, he can understand: the symbiosis between equid and companion. What he can’t wrap his mind around is that the raptor seems to understand his question and intentionally grips the gnarled scar tissue of his bonded’s withers even tighter, his hooked claws sinking into flesh and out of view. The bay hardly reacts but for smirking. Only the black flinches, his skin twitching uncomfortably across his back and shoulders to chase away a phantom pain. Thank fuck his companion is limbless.

"Surely a crafter could make some sort of perch or leather guard…” But even as he voices the suggestion he knows it’ll go disregarded. If the two have been together long enough to build up nerve deadened callouses they’re already past any need for such a thing anyway, though he still wonders about the possibility of infection with repeatedly punctured skin, but watching the way the pair seems to scoff at his concern, he imagines such a worry is nothing to them. Ah well - he thinks dismissively - enjoy your gangrene then.

"Albrecht.” He introduces, nodding his head to include the python at his brow. "And Strom. Is this-“ A flash of movement to his right cuts him off, something large and dark stumbling over the crest of the path at that moment and nearly bumbling into him. Ears pinning, he takes two quick sidesteps and shakes his neck unhappily, a gesture that might come out as a warning if he weren’t so thin and unintimidating. His mouth opens to complain, but again the stranger is quick to interrupt him, bursting into what he can only gather is an emotional reunion of some sort. He steps back to let the two reconcile, only raising a brow when addressed again.

Is it really that hard to find a blind guy? He wonders. And how can he find this ridiculous pear-headed noodle intimidating in any way? The little shit hugs things to death, but then again, who expects to die by cuddles? 'Ay.' The python agrees. 'Sneky.' Which draws a quiet chuckle from the elder, unsure whether sneaky or snakey was the intended adjective.

"Talk."
OOC // @Roux @Sacre Hi, my name is Townsen and I make fashionably late look pretty damn punctual. Please forgive!

No sir! By the way,
What the hell are morals?

image | coding

[Image: 56c616e54affc]Rated M, R, NC-17, AO, 18+, NSFW
Tag dat azz!  @Albrecht
Violence & Magic okay.
Wish - Away - OOC