the Rift

[PRIVATE] watchful eyes

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah
we heal with love,
“Why?”

Hemlock must have asked her that question a dozen times since he realized where Alysanne was heading when she turned south earlier that day. He kept asking because she kept being unable to answer. She just… needed to go back. The decaying marsh and what god or creature had taken up residence there was a shadow in the back of her mind ever since they had all been betrayed by Kisamoa. She hadn’t been smart enough to suspect him during the tasks he had asked them to do, though some of them had certainly seemed strange, and she felt guilty that she was just someone else that played a part in making this happen.

Perhaps the very least that she could do was keep an eye on the marsh whenever she could, see what might be brewing there.  

Only, once she arrived in the late afternoon, she couldn’t bring herself to take the step that would actually bring her into the marsh. She paused on that northern edge, where they had not long ago all gathered to clear away the land. Alysanne wasn’t sure if it was cowardice or something much, much more complicated. Or a combination of both? She was weak, no one ever seemed to doubt that simple fact, and certainly not strong enough to take that step. Just as she hadn’t had anything to contribute to the battle against the bone monster… anything to contribute to help Nyx survive...

If she had still been a Moon Doctor, would she have been able to save the silver mare? If she had finished her quest, would she have been able to alleviate some of the pain and make things easier?

Her ears flattened against her skull in disgust and anger at herself and she snorted, shaking her head and striking against the ground with a hoof. Agonizing over what she should have done differently wasn’t going to help anyone.

She started to pace, keeping her attention on the marsh, on the decaying landscape that hid the shrine she knew lay just a little further inland, but still she travelled along the border. Not really sure what she was looking for or even what she would do if she saw anything, but feeling a little better just for the sake of it all the same.
alysanne

idk but it's a start

@Volterra <3
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

THE INDOMITABLE
I NEVER FEAR DEATH OR DYING, I ONLY FEAR NEVER TRYING
I AM WHATEVER I AM, ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE ME NOW

He, too, comes to the Marsh on a regular basis. Not because he has any great love for the place - there is little to appeal to the eyes here in this barren arsehole of Helovia - but because he is sure that here lies the key to Kaos's demise. The memory of the battle is fresh in his mind; they'd thrown everything at him, utilised everything at their disposal, but still they had not brought him down. It just doesn't seem right or fair to the Indomitable; everything has a weakness. There has to be some way to defeat Kaos, but Volterra knows that discovering it is going to be a long and difficult road.

He feels that he can take the first few steps along that road by scrutinising every inch of the Marsh, especially the hideous altar that the bone monster spawned from. The place is vile, even by Volterra's standards. There's little to eat, no shelter, no warmth, no hint of life or the ability to sustain anything bigger than a maggot. It reeks of death, perhaps because this is where Kaos made his first kill in the form of that unfortunate silver mare. The memory sticks in the black warlord's mind like a seed caught in his throat - he hadn't known the woman, but watching her children weep over her corpse had affected him right down to his bones. Volterra is not an empathetic, kind or pleasant man, but he does value his children more than almost anything else in his life. He is a fine warrior, but if he gets too bold and dies...it could be his offspring shedding tears over his lifeless, mangled body, and that is not the legacy he wishes to leave them.

It is all the more vital that they find a way to take down Kaos, and soon. His dragons loop and circle around the altar of bones, scrutinising it for any hints on how to destroy the creature, whilst Volterra makes his slow, steady way across the squelchy ground. It isn't long before he realises that he is not alone - there's a pegasus mare nearby, her two-toned body moving through the Marsh with the same painstaking concentration that the goliath himself is displaying. With his curiosity piqued, the stallion prowls closer. "It is unusual to find somebody else here," he remarks. He's made many previous visits here, desperately hunting for clues, and he's not once met anybody else. "What brings you to this particular shithole?" The word is said with venom - he's sure the mare shares his distaste for the land, as any horse should.

image credits

:D @Alysanne

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

we heal with love,
Movement caught in the corner of her eye caused Alysanne to start, pausing in her incessant pacing, but she quickly realized that it wasn’t Kaos - it was someone else. Not someone she recognized - maybe vaguely, as though they had been standing in the same crowd once or twice. Almost all of Helovia had been there the day that Kaos had arrived, but the crowd had been so thick and Alysanne’s attention had quickly been drawn away from the monster. You would think that the encounter with Kisamoa/Kaos would teach her to be wary about anyone she came across that was a stranger, but it wasn't quite so easy to shake off her natural willingness to meet everyone she could.

She would have to remember the phrase ‘shithole’ - it’s not one Alysanne had ever encountered before but she found herself agreeing with him. It was the perfect description for the place that they were standing in. She doubted even her passive magic, even now beginning to leach nutrients into the wretched soil where she stood, would do anything to improve this place while Kaos’ hold was still strong.

For a moment, her green eyes look over the land around them before settling back on the stallion before her - looking up to meet his ruby gaze. “I can’t get this place out of my head.” It’s an utterly honest answer but Alysanne didn’t have any reason to lie - she only lies her friends, after all. Twisting the truth to protect them.

Nothing about the one standing before her now suggests a need to be protected.

“I can’t shake the feeling that when I turn my back, he’ll show up.” Her eyes search his face, wondering if this made any sense to him or if he thought she was crazy - walking around the Marsh as though she was capable to do anything to stop Kaos. She suspected a similar reason had brought him here as well, so she asked curiously.  “And yourself? What brings you here?”
alysanne

@Volterra
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

THE INDOMITABLE

I can't get this place out of my head. He grunts his agreement. There is something about the Marsh that is innately haunting, like the aftermath of a bad dream that lingers in the back of the mind for days afterwards. Volterra cannot stop dwelling on the place, on Kaos, even when he knows he should simply let it go and leave it up to somebody else to deal with. That's just not how the goliath Gladiator operates. He is proactive, a leader; if nobody else cares about stopping Kaos, then he sure as hell does.

Perhaps he has found a kindred spirit in this mare. He vaguely recognises her from numerous gatherings around Helovia, but has no idea of her name or title. As she remarks on the fact that Kaos could be waiting to spring out at any moment, the black titan nods. "Aye, we must remain alert, as I am sure his next move is not far away." Volterra frowns, flicking one ear irritably as he thinks of the hideous creature. As a warrior, the Indomitable has very set rules about the rights and wrongs upon a battlefield. He likes to know who he's fighting, size up their weaknesses, strike, and win. This lingering worry about Kaos goes against everything he's learned, everything he prefers - the creature's silence is deafening, and the whole of Helovia is waiting on tenterhooks for the other shoe to drop. It simply isn't fair that the monster can take the population unawares whenever it wants, instead of adhering to the strict rules of combat that Volterra does.

But, he keeps telling himself, life isn't always fair. Life isn't always an organised spar, contested between two equally matched opponents. Life is surprise attacks, cowardly thieves in the night, a knife in the back. In a way, the young warlord is naiive in his belief that Kaos should obey the unwritten rules of Helovia - he has to keep reminding himself that there are no rules, not really. Kaos can do whatever the hell he wants, and it's up to them to stop him.

She asks what brings him here, and the black monolith releases a huff before he replies. "I have been searching for clues on how to defeat him. He has to have a weakness, he just has to, but finding it is far harder than I could have anticipated." Try as he might, Volterra cannot see any chink in Kaos' armour. "And you? Forgive me, but you do not seem like the combative sort." He couldn't see her taking up arms against Kaos, but he admits that looks can be deceiving.

image credits

@Alysanne

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]

we heal with love,
It was a relief to hear someone else agree with her - even if, at first, all he offered was a mere grunt to show it. It made her feel a little less insane. She didn’t really understand why there weren’t more horses here, wandering the Marshes and trying to learn as much as they could… trying to see if Kaos was more than the terrible display of might that he made the one day. That things had been quiet ever since only unnerved Alysanne further and she was glad to know that she was not alone.

Her new companion explained that he was here looking for clues on what Kaos’ weakness might be - which she found curious - but his last statement caught Alysanne’s attention and she snorted in response.  “No, I’m not.” The words came out with a healthy dose of bitterness, more than Alysanne would have thought they would be - highlighting that she was unhappy with the fact that she was obviously not a warrior. She wasn’t sure if that would ever change, even with assistance and her attempts to learn a few skills on the battlefield. She would always be a healer but she didn’t want anyone to think that her chosen profession made her weak. “But I’d still fight him. If he challenged my home, if he threatened those I love, I wouldn’t even hesitate.” Her words were spoken with determination, a faint scowl darkening her green eyes as she spoke them - trying to convince both this strange and herself.

For a moment, she wondered if she sounded crazy when she spoke in such a manner - full of fire over such a simple thing as being told she did not look combative. Years ago, she would have laughed off his comment and agreed wholeheartedly. Now she could only regret that she was continuing to fail so wholly at all her attempts to learn the alien language of war.

With a flick of her tail, she attempted to bring herself back down to earth again - remembering a comment made before the question asked of her, about how this stallion had been trying to find a weakness of Kaos’. Her tone is lighter now, more curious than anything, and if she had eyebrows - one would certainly be quirked. “Are you practiced in finding the weaknesses of others?”

alysanne

@Volterra
made by the lovely tamme

THE INDOMITABLE

Her snort and the bitter sting of her voice make him wonder if he has hit a nerve with his assumption that she does not appear to be a warrior. That's not to say that she hasn't the potential to be one, but the beast has noticed a lack of scars upon her pelt and an unruffled air that speaks of a woman unfamiliar with the battlefield. It is not intended to be an insult - not everybody is like him, war-minded and militaristic.

The two-toned mare adds that she would fight if her home was threatened, and Volterra inclines his head in acknowledgement. "Of course." The leviathan likes to think that everybody, even the doctors and weaklings of the world, would jump into action against Kaos as they had against the Rift Gods, but whether that's merely an assumption on his part remains to be seen. Most people who had attacked Kaos during his reveal had been warriors like Volterra, whilst the rest hung back or tended to the wounded.

Are you practiced in finding the weaknesses of others? Suddenly there's an impassioned smile upon his face, a glint in his eye, a dark hint to his expression. This is his life's work, his love, his duty. "I like to think so." His crimson gaze never leaves the mare as he speaks, resisting the urge to automatically flicker across her body and hunt for her weaknesses. "I am the Gladiator of the Dragon's Throat - a warrior through and through. It is up to me to find weaknesses in my opponents and exploit them. Something as obvious as a missing eye to indicate blindness on one side, or something as subtle as a slight favouring of one limb, can tell me where best to aim my blows for maximum effect." But these are the easy, obvious signs - true subtlety lies in the breed, height and weight differences of his various opponents, all presenting a different challenge to him.

"Perhaps it was foolish of me to think that searching this place would give me a clue as to the chink in Kaos' armour. All I know is that he will have one, and as soon as we find it, we can destroy it." There's strength in his voice, determination. Volterra will not give up the hunt, however futile, until Kaos has been punished for his sins. "My name is Volterra, by the way. Who are you?"

image credits

@Alysanne

we heal with love,
Her teasing question seemed to have sparked something of a fire in the stallion - she had half expected him to laugh it off but that was certainly not the case. Alysanne enjoyed seeing that distinct smile spread across the face of someone speaking of their passion - and she felt a warm smile grow on her face in response to watching Volterra react to her question. It wasn’t something that she particularly understood but she didn’t need to. She understood enough, certainly. She wanted to ask him what weaknesses she saw in her but her tongue stuck and she couldn’t get those words out.

The words that did come were a reaction to the comment that it might have been foolish for him to come here and try to find some sort of clue. He still had determination in his voice but she wanted to try to squash any doubt he might have in his actions. So Alysanne was shaking her head with a soft smile when she replied. “No, I don’t think it is foolish. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be here either. I think you’re right… he must have one somewhere. And it’s only a matter of time until someone finds it. So why not one of us?” While she had very little doubt in Volterra’s ability to find Kaos’ weakness, Alysanne didn’t truly think that it would be her. What did she know of finding weaknesses? Any instinct that she had in spotting them was to shield or heal them, not to exploit them.

He introduced himself then - reminding Alysanne that her manners had been slacking. Normally that was the first thing she brought up in a conversation but not lately. It was always someone else bringing it up as a by the way. She dipped her head, green eyes gleaming. “Alysanne, of the World’s Edge. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Volterra.”  

alysanne

@Volterra SO SORRY FOR THE WAIT if you don't want to keep this going I totally understand <33
made by the lovely tamme

THE INDOMITABLE

He nods his agreement to her words. Indeed, the destruction of Kaos has become a passion - bordering on an obsession - for him. He isn't sure what exactly it is about the creature that makes him so eager to annihilate him, although he thinks part of it is because the bastard seems so damn indestructible that Volterra is taking it as a personal affront when he can't find anything to exploit. Most of the reason, though, is that the Indomitable for all his flaws is an open and honest man who values truth and trust, who abhores facades and lies. Kaos had taken the trust of Helovians and twisted it like a snake in the grass, bending them to his bidding and making it all seem like a good idea.

If the creature had simply arrived and tried to enslave them all then perhaps Volterra wouldn't have been so pissed off about it, because at least that shows some semblance of honesty. To arrive wearing a fake face and to play at friendship before slipping a knife firmly between the ribs of those who tried to help him? That, in the warlord's eyes, is unforgiveable.

"Why not one of us indeed," he rumbles in agreement. She gives her name and her place in the World's Edge, and the beast's interest elevates another fraction. "Well, Alysanne of the World's Edge, would you care to join me in searching for clues about Kaos?" With a jerk of his colossal head he invites the winged mare to walk with him on a hunt through the Marsh.

image credits

@Alysanne COuld end it here if you want :)

we heal with love,
Searching for clues, searching for weaknesses, was definitely not one of Alysanne’s strong points. Iona was the sleuth in the family - Iona would be a much better partner for Volterra in terms of knowing what to look for. But, hey, at least she had a working pair of eyes and her other senses were all intact. She might even be able to learn a little something from him as they travelled together, he was - at least by his own words - something of a master at picking up weaknesses.

So when Volterra jerked his head and invited her to join his hunt, the answer was very simple. “I would.” She smiled faintly at him - as happy as she was for the company, she didn’t feel like a brighter smile was appropriate at this time. They were here for dark reasons, after all, and it wasn’t going to be a pleasant stroll through the forest.

With a nod of her own, considerably smaller, head she encouraged him to lead the way.
alysanne

thought I'd get one last post to wrap it up officially <3
thanks for the thread Snow! :D
made by the lovely tamme