the Rift

[OPEN] When the day is long [EARTH - return]

Isopia the Mountain That Knows Posts: 780
Dragon's Throat Apostle atk: 6.5 | def: 10 | dam: 8.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: 3 - is now aging slowly HP: 90 | Buff: NUMB
Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd

ISOPIA
Consider your origin. You were not formed to live like brutes but to follow virtue and knowledge.

Isopia had completed her quest just as quickly as she was able. Even so, it had taken her a few days longer than she had planned. The demi-goddess had not accounted for the fact that others would need to be coaxed into offering their assistance (as with Volterra in the Dragon's Throat, or Erebos in the Basin), or that she would be held up by conversations regarding what she was doing. Still, Isopia thought she had made good time on her task. She might have stopped at the Edge before coming to the veins to find Dragomir, but decided against it. If her Father had more scolding that he wanted to offer, she'd rather hear it alone.

With both her gold and bronze dragons at her side, Isopia landed softly before her Father's shrine. Despite the fact that she knew that the broken stones held no real intrinsic power, she nevertheless instructed Hubris to place the helmet upon the altar.

"Father I have done as you have asked. I hope that this process of burning and cleansing will remove both the magic that I have placed upon this helmet, and my own sins for having taken it as my own." Her voice was solemn and soft, knowing that she did not need to yell, or kneel, or conduct any particular pomp or circumstance for her Father to hear her.

Iso's quest:

Isopia must:
- collect some fire

- take the helmet and the fire to a body of water, burn the helmet and then submerge it into the water. Perform this process for salt, fresh, and brackish water (so you'll have to do it three times). The order that you do the water types is up to you!

- and then bring the helmet back to the Veins

Image Credits

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here

God of the Earth Posts: 287
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: 22.0hh :: Ageless
Admin
god of the earth

He allowed her to wait for a while, so that she would become as he found her most beautiful: growing from the earth, wreathed in blooms, leaves, and moss, the God adored looking upon his child when she was forced to remain still, and became a part of him more than she already was, by lineage alone. Though she was not Hototo, and could never replace that kind, gentle boy that had died, and taken part of the God’s heart with him into the green beyond, he loved her, too. It was just difficult to so openly love another child, when part of you had never stopped loving your first, now lost forever, and when the one who had come to replace him was so very different from the first.

It was even more difficult for a God, who was forced to carry that hurt and dissonance within himself for Eternity. It did not help, either, that this child was, quite simply, not as naturally good of heart as Hototo had been, by any means, but it did not mean she could not grow.

His daughter, like all children, would occasionally stumble, and cause her father's usually kind eyes to fill with disapproval; it did not mean that he did not appreciate her, in many ways, for who she was, though she was not her fallen half-brother, and had often made choices the God could not approve of. However, Kahlua’s daughter had always strove to make amends when her actions had been revealed as corrupt, and she also worked to be better than she had been the day before. The God of the Earth had known many mortals in his life, far enough to know that few strove as hard to better themselves as Isopia did, and of all the aspects of his child’s being, it was, perhaps, her endless desire to become more than she was the day before which he admired the most.

“Well done,” answers the God’s voice, from the shrine itself.

Arriving from the ground, the God appears first as flowering vines, and seemingly rises from their moving heart, his earthen wings folded neatly to his sides, and gentle eyes held on Isopia’s face. The mask is, indeed, cleansed, the magic bound to it vastly weakened by the rituals of fire and water he had sent her on, and, with a simple push of his Godly will, the former enchantments fragment into magical nothingness. Vibrating slightly as he does so, the mask unleashes a strong, petrichor smell before it stills.

“Your mistake is amended,” he smiles, looking at her crafty torch, and focusing his energy on its wooden composition, “and you may keep your torch, to remind you how all things can be atoned for, given the proper effort. It should ignite at your will, now, without need of that foul smelling liquid.”

[ Isopia has completed her quest, and has had her torch enchanted to light on command as an extra reward for completing the quest thoroughly and quickly! Dragomir should post his new, desired enchantments in the Character Record’s board, as well as a character item transfer request, to have the “new enchantments” and the mask added to his records. Isopia should post the following amendment to her existing stick item:

:: [Enchanted Item: Small kerosene-soaked stick. | Ignites on command. ] ]

Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd

ISOPIA
Consider your origin. You were not formed to live like brutes but to follow virtue and knowledge.

She stood just as he predicted she would. Grasses and vines had woven themselves up her long and slender limbs, while the rocks and granite of the veins hardened themselves against (and seemingly into) her hooves. She looked as though she was a long-ago forgotten thing just like these shrines appeared to be, but she was just as full of life as they were. Isopia didn't mind waiting. It allowed her mind to stretch and explroe problems and curiosities that she hadn't otherwise had the opportunity to. It didn't necessarily occur to her that her Father was doing this intentionally. Then again, perhaps even if it had occurred to her, she would simply have deemed it part of her punishment.

She was at fault, after all.

Slowly her father rose from the earth and answered Isopia's lingering queries of whether or not her efforts had been enough. As he indicated that they were, and that the stick that they had covered with kerosine could be kept and would now burn on instruction, Hubris trilled happily. He of course had been carrying the stick for the majority of their quest, and now waved it happily and in appreciation towards the massive deity. Isopia, assuming her father could easily understand what the dragon was trying to communicate, did not bothering interpreting.

"I don't know what I was thinking when I took the helmet." Isopia mumbled, her voice soft with honesty. Her golden eyes roamed up to her Father's verdant stare and she sighed. "I really don't. I'll strive to ensure that it doesn't happen again. The compass I was given .. I think it will help."

Looking down at the now purified and free-of-enchantments helmet, and bit the inside of her lip. Although she was pleased that she had completed her quest so quickly, she wasn't particularly looking forward to seeking Dragomir out and returning the item. It was the final stage in her pennance, but even so, she felt a lingering wave of embarrassment. She was his former Czarina and now herdmate, and was forced to return his possessions to him like a common their. 

What was I thinking? she thought miserably, motioning towards Hubris to take hold of the item which could no longer be collapsed with her mind. 

"I'll see that this is returned to Dragomir." Swallowing hard, she turned her slender shoulders to leave, before casting a glance back over at her Father. "Th..Thank you for helping me with this." She said even more softly than before.

:O !!!!!!!!! ty!!!!!

Image Credits

God of the Earth Posts: 287
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: 22.0hh :: Ageless
Admin
god of the earth
The dragon’s delight at the magical stick he has been given temporary charge of draws a happy chuckle from the weary God.  Having lost so much already for the sake of Helovia, and the people within, the Earth often found himself so distracted by the ongoing, seemingly endless bedlam and chaos of their magical world.  So often, in fact, that it had become easy, as of late, to begin to feel a bit of sorrow weighing his heart down.  Seeing Isopia’s relief to have not disappointed her father, and the cheer of his daughter’s bonded dragon at such a small boon as a burning stick…

It does much to ease an old man’s aching heart.

“You are quite welcome, Hubris,” he grins and nods to the cheerful bronze, glad that his daughter has such a gracious and good natured friend to share her life with.  I believe you will guide her well with it's light.

He takes in her words knowingly, a soft smile crinkling the corner of his gaze and bringing to life every other line etched there permanently by the joy and sorrow this world brought him.  Though she is surely a part of both, today, these folds represent joy, and pride.  When she speaks of her compass, however, that smile becomes softer, more thoughtful, remembering of the day he had planted the seed of that now old Oak, and the times he had returned to tend to her, when she had still been growing.  He certainly had never asked his old friend to look after his girl, but look after her she had, and the God was grateful to her, as he was to all those who did what was best.

“All things happen for a reason, my child, even if we cannot not see those purposes from where we now stand,” he consoles her, seeing her self doubt as she stumbles to collect her reasoning to set the paving on which she now stood, “when a boulder falls into place from its foothold on a mountain, it crushes all that it passes as it sweeps down, and leaves scars in the earth that, to the dirt and flowers and grass it has left behind, seems irreparably scarred.  Yet, down that gouged furrow, the rain might flow, cast about the base of that boulder, to become a pond, which becomes a stream… And soon, more flowers grow than ever had before, where many had once foretold there would be never be flowers again.  That boulder becomes a moss laden sanctuary, where creatures sleep in cool burrows tunneled under its protective slabs, and lounge atop its broad, cushioned face, and the world is better for it.”

His brother, Time, understood these concepts better than the Earth did, of course, but water and stone could teach a man much about patience, and fate, even if he could not view the river’s course itself.  He does not know that his words somewhat mirror those that the tree shared with her, not the sort of prying person that his brother Time also is, but if he did, he wouldn’t be that surprised.

“You are welcome, Isopia, my daughter,” he smiles and nods to her, as she turns to leave, and the illusion that she is one with the world around her slips swiftly away, and he, too, begins to fade away, becoming leaves, pulled away by magical wind, one at a time.  Drifting around Isopia lazily before sweeping out to sea, it as if the dancing foliage embraces her.  “Farewell, until I see you again.”

ISOPIA

His words reiterate what she has always known. What has permeated her mind since birth. It both calms her, and rouses within her an incoherent sense of anxiety: everything happens for a reason. And if so, everything is planned.

Fate is a pair of handcuffs, but also a blindfold. Fate allows her to be ignorant of her actions, but the handcuffs force her to be responsible for them. It's a tenuous balance, and one that Isopia  often struggles to maintain.

Today however, she merely nods her head as the image of her father slowly wavers. Hubris trills delightedly at the old man's words, always happy to hear his wisdom. And although their conversation was brief, the bronze dragon is all the happier for it. Babel however, has merely watched this exchange with suspicious black eyes, saying nothing but watching everything.

"Goodbye." She returned as her Father disappeared from sight. "Alright. Let's find Dragomir." Isopia called to her two dragons, steeling herself mentally for this last self-imposed part of her quest.

Image Credits