the Rift

[PRIVATE] What's that smell?

Glasgow Posts: 127
Aurora Basin Apprentice atk: 3.5 | def: 10.0 | dam: 7.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3hh :: 11 years HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Skylark
G L A S G O W

If Glasgow’s job was to be a crafter here in the Basin, she figured she needed to at least learn about the area and what it was they crafted. She knew they did fabric of some sort, but how they came about creating it was something she hadn’t seen, nor had anyone told her. She had heard of the crafter’s cave, and decided that if she were to try and find out what crafting was all about here, that would probably be the best place to start! Happily (for once), Glasgow meandered her way to the crafter’s cave, wondering who might be working in there. Perhaps Vertigo was there, the mare she meant to meet after the meeting but never did. Hope danced in her chest as she approached the entrance.

However, immediately, a foul smell reached her nose. Immediately, she snorted, hoping that perhaps it would go away. Yet, it lingered. She squinted her eyes, the glassy gaze sweeping over the entrance of the cave as her nose wrinkled slightly. “Uh, hello? Is anyone in there?” She questioned into the dark cavern, wondering if there was a source to the smell. If it was another equine, it’d be easy enough to tell them to go get a bath and come back. If not, well; Glasgow knew she’d need to figure out the source and get it out somehow. How one could make cloth of all things and have them come out smelling like this was beyond what she could comprehend. It didn’t seem like a good idea at all!

After waiting a few moments, Glasgow stepped away from the entrance, her eyes beginning to water as she moved away, the scent seeming to linger despite her continuing to try and leave. It followed and swallowed everything it seemed. Oh, how the pale woman itched for fresh, clean air. She tried to hold her breath as she moved away, yet it didn’t seem to help. She sighed quietly, turning her head back to look at the mouth of the cave with her nose still scrunched from the odor.

"Talk."

I would have bled out,
if you told me you liked the color red —

image credits

@Johnny time to tell johnny to move so we can get the stank out ;)

Johnny Posts: 161
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 13 hh :: 10 years
Jellybean :: Common Griffin :: Molten Dagger Sarah

Yeah yeah, so maybe it was a bit of a dick move for me not to leave the Crafter’s cave but that place was my home. Every piece of fleece and unwoven animal hair was a part of me that I wasn’t about to give up. And besides, it was hard to move out of somewhere after you’ve basically slept so much in it that there’s a Johnny-shaped groove in the floor.

This was my cave and it’d take Deimos to drag my sugar-coated butt out of here.

And he’s still on vaca somewhere so I don’t think that’s going to happen at all.

The thing is, after a lifetime of smelling sugar and peppermint everywhere, my nose doesn’t exactly work the way it should. Everything smells pretty great to me but I’m pretty sure that means that I can’t smell anything. So I don’t fully realize just how bad this little cave of mine has gotten. The decaying wool combined with the smell of a stable that hasn’t been cleaned out in two years combined with the sickly-sweet smell that is my sweat in this god-awful season just makes for a treat apparently.

Jellybean has tried to tell me, I guess, but she’s such a little brat that I don’t believe half the words that come screeching through our bond anyway.

I was dozing underneath a blanket of dirty wool when someone’s voice echoed into my cave, beckoning me back into the land of the living. With a groan, I sit up and look towards the entrance but whoever-it-was was walking away! At first glance I’m all excited because it looks like it’s Aisling, my love, but then I realize this retreating somebody is much taller. So how rude! I’ve actually got to stand and figure this all out?!?

Well I do, of course, because I’m nothing if not accommodating and I trudge over to the entrance of the cave - a piece of dirty wool skewered on my horn and some clinging to my peppermint hair. I don’t notice either, however, because my green eyes spot the pale mare that had come.  “Of course someone’s in here! Silly goose. Where else would I be?”

image by emeraldthewoof

@Glasgow <3
[Image: Johnny%20by%20Aud_zpsi3ssx2s1.gif]
magic and physical force permitted at all times
vigorous licking strongly encouraged
please tag in all posts

Skylark
G L A S G O W

At first, she wasn’t even sure what the odor was. She only knew that it was a vile, putrid thing, that if it took form of a creature she’d surely try to off herself rather than smell it. Oh and how she hoped it didn’t cling like some smells did. She took some deep breaths of the fresh mountain air, just to be sure she remembered what it smelt like before beginning to grow bold, wondering if someone had died in there and no one had noticed. With her head still swung around, she found herself in an internal struggle. Did she want to find a dead body today? No, not really. But if she left it there for somebody else, wasn’t that worse?

With a snort, she began to turn toward the cave again with her eyes shut tight, wondering what kind of mess she had gotten herself into. When suddenly – “Of course someone’s in here! Silly goose. Where else would I be?” Her eyelids fluttered open immediately, revealing a glassy, almost opaque looking gaze as she looked upon the peppermint pony with pieces of smelly, dirty wool patched around his mane and parts of his body. She tilted her head curiously, not knowing how she’d know that someone wasn’t there. A small chuckle escaped her lips from the confusion as she began to approach the pony once again, trying to limit her breathing as best she could.

I’m sorry. I didn’t know. I’m new here, and I just recently joined the ranks of the crafters.” She began, dipping her head to Johnny, the unicorn of whom she still didn’t know the name of. “I am Glasgow. I used to be a Glazier in the Edge before moving north. I heard this was the crafting cave, so I decided to see. And…” She paused, lowering her head and turning her head away from him slightly. “I don’t want to be rude, since I am new here, but it smells awful here. Is this where all the crafting happens? Do you live in this?” She questioned, turning her gaze sheepishly back toward Johnny, extending her head to the cavern behind him. “It really should be cleaned. Do you not have another place to go?” She asked him again, uncertainty gleaming in her eyes.

"Talk."

I would have bled out,

image credits

@Johnny so i found out glas is too nice to yell at someone to leave. who knew? xD

Johnny Posts: 161
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 13 hh :: 10 years
Jellybean :: Common Griffin :: Molten Dagger Sarah

My excitement that I was going to meet someone new is maintained for a while - this Glasgow seems pretty nice!! And she’s a CRAFTER which is very exciting. I’ve been mildly curious about what has happened to the ol’ ranks since I went into a coma - I haven’t really been paying much attention at the meetings. Or, like, I did pay attention - I remember paying attention - but I haven’t retained any of the information.

I don’t know, I guess I should go find someone. See how Deimos is doing in his retirement, it’s been awhile since I’ve chatted with the old guy.

Anyway, my excitement over Glasgow faded pretty quick when she told me it smelled awful in my cave. What a bitch. “It doesn’t smell that bad.” I protested with a large pout as I sit down at the entrance while Jellybean snorted in amusement. She certainly agreed with this Glasgow but I just figured she was eager to gang up against me.

And then this Glasgow mentioned that my cave, MY CAVE, should be cleaned and then asked me if I had anywhere else to go. This was the cave I lived in, the cave my daughter had been born in, and the cave where I had done all of my best work. “Uh, no. No not really. I’ve been in this cave ever since I came to Helovia and joined the Basin.” I wasn’t even sure if I had any friends I could go live with temporarily. I doubted anyone would want to bunk with me - Aisling was my cuddle buddy and everyone else was kind of second rate in comparison.

But then I get a great idea and it brightens me right up. “Why don’t you just make a new crafting cave!”

image by emeraldthewoof

@Glasgow - it's cause Johnny is too cute to yell at ;D
[Image: Johnny%20by%20Aud_zpsi3ssx2s1.gif]
magic and physical force permitted at all times
vigorous licking strongly encouraged
please tag in all posts

Rikyn the Puppeteer Posts: 549
Aurora Basin Lord atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 4 HP: 70 | Buff: SWIFT
Duir :: Royal Cerndyr :: Earth Spirit Bunnie

sweet bitter words, unlike nothing I have heard:

The unicorn whom I’d met in the Steppe, and shared a loathing of the Tallsun heat with, is sitting in the entryway to the Crafter’s Cave, talking to a scarred, pale woman that I do not know. She has a way of holding herself that suggests she has held four hooves to the earth for much longer than I have, but from the gestures she’s making, her conversation with the rather cheerful (somewhat annoyingly so) red and white unicorn seems to not be going well.

Approaching at a trot, I catch the tail end of an inquiry and observation given to the sugary stallion from the lips of the haunting mare, myself pulling in a haughty draught of the odiferous air wafting from the cavern’s entrance as I catch her words; eyeing the disarray there-in from this distance, my ears promptly fall back atop my head, the smell purely atrocious, even in comparison to the often dust-laden, junk pile strewn, mold-fest it had regularly been under my father’s care. Had someone brought in improperly dried pelts? A whole fucking dead bear smeared with shit and fermented booze? Yuck.

Little did I know someone had been born in it. That probably accounted for some of the… uh, more fleshy scents.

“Uh, no. No not really. I’ve been in this cave ever since I came to Helovia and joined the Basin.,” says the unicorn, which I guess I can sympathize with – but who had let him shack up here in the first place? Rolling my eyes with a mental thought - Uncle Deimos, he always did avoid the cheerful types at all costs - what he says next makes me, well, flat frustrated, almost immediately. “Why don’t you just make a new crafting cave!”

"Well, Johnny, my pal, you find another cave with two whole walls of natural stone shelves, which is why this one was picked to be the crafting cave in the first place, of course, and then fill it with memories of my father crafting the first pieces of the Sentinels within it, and maybe, maybe, the new cave will suffice," I remark, dryly, coming to a stop alongside the pale woman, with the scarred face, "he’s dead now though. It will likely be difficult to do such a thing."

Duir, arriving alongside me, promptly is very distracted by both the hostile overtone of the emotional tether between us, and the sheer brilliance that is Jellybean. His half of the bond suddenly floods with a very strong impulse to touch the bird-dog’s crown of feathers, which look most intriguing, and a secondary desire to, well, run away, like he always does when confrontation seems a sure thing. Believing himself partially responsible for me, however, the buck remains, knowing how, well, tempestuous my temper can be, and disliking the emotional distance with which I’d mentioned both my father’s life, and death.

"Not to mention it smells like something really dead and very much filled with maggots and disease lives in there," I conclude, with a nod, and a smile, "I’m sure no one would mind you sleeping here if you treated it for what it was – a public space – and kept it tidy. Any good land-Lord would have kicked you out months ago."

And your new one thrives on conflict, rather than avoiding it.

[ OOC: crashes thread with Skylark's permissions; Sarah, just tell me to fudge off if you don't want us here. Lol. Anyway HARHAR YOU CATCH HIS PUNNY. If JB isn't there Sarah, just let me know and I'll edit, but until then Duir rly wants to touch Jellybean this much: <---------------------------------------------------------------> x100000000 ]

sing along, mockingbird; you don't affect me.

Image by TheArtlex@DA

@Glasgow @Johnny

Wishlist - Plots

Force/violence is allowed to be used on Rikyn permitted it does not permanently maim or kill him (PM me!).

Skylark
G L A S G O W

He didn’t seem to take the suggestion well, and Glasgow flinched internally at the protest he gave. Then he sat, almost as if he was pouting, and it was all the scarred woman could do to not sigh and just allow him the right. “Uh, no. No not really.” Then, he began to explain, and Glasgow nodded along, understanding the memories that came with it. But sometimes change was good, and perhaps it wouldn’t have gotten this bad had someone been around to help the poor man. She began to offer him a sympathetic smile, ready to offer the help she wanted to give him, but it would require he find another place to stay for at least a night or two.

But then he suggested finding another cave and Glasgow’s brows furrowed slightly, not even sure what to say in this exact moment. However, another voice appeared, one from behind her as he moved to stand beside her, spewing words out at this man that Glasgow still didn’t know the name of. He went on and on and on and Glasgow just simply remained, head turning from Rikyn to Johnny all while internally cringing.

The stallion could’ve been nicer about things, really. Glasgow sighed quietly. “Is there a need to be so harsh?” She quietly murmured to Rikyn, her scarred and glassy eyes lingering on the young man’s face, not even knowing he was her Lord. Her eyes flickered to Johnny with a small apologetic smile. “I think it would only take a few days to clean out, really. You could stay in my cave at night and we could all make it a big project?” She suggested, eyes gleaming toward Johnny with hopefulness. “And then you could come back after, once it’s all clean. What do you think?” She questioned with a tilt of her scarred face.

"Talk."

I would have bled out,

image credits

@Johnny @Rikyn <3