the Rift

I pray I don't love you anymore [WISE ONES]

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
we love the kindly wind and hail, the jolly thunderbolt, we watch in glee the fairy trail of ampere, watt, and volt
Last but not least on Ampere's list of things-to-address-today-damnit was Maren. The tiger mare was quieter than Ampere liked to see, and she had to wonder if finally erecting the temple had turned her into a hermit. She'd always been out and about before, barking orders at crafters and anyone else in earshot with a tireless passion and vision to complete the magnificent house of the Sun. Maybe she felt purposeless now that it was complete? Maybe she just had no more reason to step hoof outside its walls (except to attend herd meetings summoned and therein share terrible news...). Perhaps she had taken Gaucho's passing hard too, and were just more stoic and well put together than Ampere.

Whatever the reason, Ampere was here to knock on the tiger's door.

She once more glanced to Volterra, not sure if he knew Maren too well or not. She was a different sort of mare to get to know... difficult. Yet Ampere was always grateful for her sound advice and the sternness of her character. So flashing a grin towards her Sultan, Ampere stepped forward into the Sun's halls, trying not to remember the embarrassing incident of the last time she was here.

"Maren!" Ampere called out, ears pricked to hear the gentle, graceful steps down the smooth floors, or the whisper of her oddly expressive head-wings. "We should talk about the things you brought up in the meeting, especially the island's erosion." Ampere was less concerned about Toulouse, a single horse, than the noticeable crumbling of their entire homeland.
Ampere
the
Mother of Companions
credits :: table

@Volterra @Maren

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Maren the Crownless Posts: 264
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.0 :: 6 HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Mr. Teatime :: Siberian Tiger :: Sing Yewrezz

The summer heat had nestled like a bird, its eggs of warmth spread across the metal clay walls. From outside there was a serene oceanic melody that hushed along with the wind as it passed the Sun’s Temple. A large striped cat lay hidden inside in one of the shadowy corners in the back, the tiger mare lay in another. Unlike Mr. Teatime, she wasn’t asleep. She lay pondering with her head against the cool metal until she heard the disruption in the wind’s song as it mixed with the clack of hoofs, and then a voice.

From the passer-by’s who gazed at the temple, few actually came in. Maren did not dare think to know why, yet expected the strange, somewhat pressing ambiance of the place to be at fault. The fact that the Temple housed worship for He who was Holy and Divine… It made the structure feel like nothing but a sacred - perhaps even heavenly place. The reason behind the silent halls that were perhaps lacking worshipers could not possibly be... she, who glared as if she were a ghost from a different shadowy corner of the Hall of the Gods every morning and afternoon. Or him: Mr.Teatime, who liked practicing his ancient-sounding call for caution in the middle of the cold nights, as the tuning sea winds mixed in with his song. A true siren. Today the voice echoed until it bounced from within the building.

She pulled herself from the shadowy floor to greet the Temple's guests after having recognizing at least one (a certain blue mare's) of the voices. She had not forgotten the last time the pegasus had stood in that same back lit entrance. Her shadow had been nothing but a ticking time bomb then, a target filled with confusion for the arrow of enlightenment. If Ampere behaved, it wouldn't be like that now.

– and if it wouldn't be like that, there would be time left for other things.

“Ah, goodday” Maren smiled at Ampere, with a quick glance to Volterra. Ah. She didn’t know why that strange sound of recognition had left her lips with such sudden inspiration. Although it seemed like such a normal thing to do, it was quite unlike herself. But coming in together like that… It would have almost made her think they were here to be wed. To some extent that thought surprised her own mind. Maren's silent golden eyes turned to shimmer suspiciously long on Volterra. Somewhere behind the tiger mare Mr. Teatime yawned, awakened by his companion’s thoughts, questioning her thought-process  – which she did too, at this point. Well, in a way they are...

The tiger mare stretched one of her feathery fingers to settle an itch behind her left ear. “–Yes, the erosion of our island,” the tiger mare recognized after scraping her dusty throat. “It sure is a strange phenomenon. I assume you'd like me to continue Aithniel's plan?”  

Talking
Notes

@Volterra
Please tag me 

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

V O L T E R R A
OH, MY EYES ARE SEEING RED
DOUBLE VISION FROM THE BLOOD WE'VE SHED

The role of the herd's Wise One is something that Volterra has often dwelled on. What is their day to day purpose, when they aren't meeting with the Sun God? What do they offer, how can they help elevate the Throat to greatness? Perhaps he is guilty of overlooking the herd's lorekeepers in a similar way to the healers, dismissing their role because it doesn't involve war. The fact that he doesn't see the Diviner around a great deal doesn't help to sell the position to him, and he's always felt that the elusive Maren tends to look down her nose upon him whenever they do meet. A dreadful shame - she's rather attractive, in an aloof sort of way.

That isn't going to stop the leviathan giving his all to improve the rank, and he falls into step besides Ampere with practiced ease whilst returning her grin. Part of becoming Sultan is that Volterra must broaden his horizons, interacting with sections of the herd that he'd never previously bothered with. Now he is a king rather than just a Gladiator, he can no longer keep his tunnel-vision firmly on the warriors. He must appreciate all the other cogs that form the herd's machine, too, and that's why he ensures his body language is neutral and open as he waits beside Ampere for Maren to arrive. The temple they're in is a magnificent feat of engineering, and Volterra finds himself glancing around with an awestruck expression on his face. "Our crafters built this?" he murmurs to Ampere, keeping his voice low so as not to reveal his ignorance to anybody that may be passing.

The lingering sense that the Crownless doesn't like him is fuelled by the overly-long stare she rests upon him when she arrives. Either she's checking out his fine physique - which would be perfectly understandable - or she's giving him the eyes because she still doesn't trust him. She is one of the Throat's old guard, after all, the select spine of members who'd served beneath Gaucho, most of whom had been reluctant to accept the unknown Gladiator into their close-knit fold. "Maren," he greets all the same, his voice as warm as he can make it. "Yes, preventing the erosion of our island strikes me as a high priority. How would you suggest we go about doing this?" Although he is a dominant man who leads by example, Volterra is not afraid to defer to others whose knowledge is greater than his own on certain tasks.

image credits

@Ampere @Maren

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

we love the kindly wind and hail, the jolly thunderbolt, we watch in glee the fairy trail of ampere, watt, and volt
She would be surprised to find how similar she and Volterra truly were. It may not be too strange given their profession of choice as warriors, a role which appeals to a certain personality type and provides a select method of experience and training, but even so, the Indomitable and the Mother are very much cut from the same cloth. Whether that'd be good or bad only time would tell, but for now it made it easy to cooperate which was a blessing.

Before Ampere entered the temple, she caught Volterra's low murmur, and it produced a broad smile and a nod in return. "Indeed," she replied, her voice set to match his in volume, recognizing its reason. "Spearheaded by Maren no less," Ampere said with a touch of praise. She really was quite fond of the tiger mare, though she didn't spend as much time with her as she'd like. They both kept themselves busy. "It took years," Ampere professed, "and required some trading." Ampere's gaze lifted towards the colorful glass windows given by the Edge. "It was worth it though. Isn't it magnificent?"

Into those wonderful halls Ampere stepped, and as her call rang out, the Sun's angel emerged. Ampere greeted her with a broad smile, "good to see you Maren." Whatever trepidation Volterra felt towards the Diviner was too mild for Ampere to notice, and so she pressed into the conversation with ease, a hind foot cocking out with expectation of lengthy palavar; this was no simple matter after all.

Surprise streaked across Ampere's features as Maren mentioned her daughter. "Aithniel had a plan?" Ampere repeated, stunned. It wasn't that Aithniel was by any means incapable, but more she was always surprised to learn of just how capable her daughter was. Of course she had already been working on fixing the island! A rush of pride filled Ampere, and excitedly she asked, "yes let's hear her plan, I'm sure it was a good one!"
Ampere
the
Mother of Companions

Maren the Crownless Posts: 264
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.0 :: 6 HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Mr. Teatime :: Siberian Tiger :: Sing Yewrezz

The air was thick with warmth even inside the walls of the building where they stood hidden from the sun rays. It bounced against her eardrums like a chore of angels; blasting their trumpets. She took a noticeable breath to fuel her brain, taking in the air of the two characters standing before her as she looked at them from silent golden eyes. She realized this must be the first time in her seemingly so endless existence of Diviner-ity that a Sultan and Sultana have come to her for advice. Of course Ampere had, before, when she had been just another mare. Now both their questioning voices sounded like a somewhat tragic song in her ears. Possibly about childhood lovers, she imagined, finally reuniting only to realize one of them was terminally ill. It wasn't anyone's fault, just a rather.... useless fate. Still, she felt a sense of familiarity in it. I don't know much these days, she acknowledged in thought. Her mind wasn't what it had been; amidst this chaos of true and false Gods. The wisdom that was left was scrambled and shifty; predictably sour against the back of her tongue.

Was it less cruel for them who relied on her for her wisdom to ignore the fact that she understood so little of what went on now? Unlike two tragic lovers, wasn’t it better to keep this truth to herself until she could silently pass forth? Mr. Teatime thought this was a rather dramatic outlook on losing one's mind, but as the Crownless was of the opinion that he had too little of that what she treasured so dearly to begin with, his remark went by like a helm in the wind. Had she not felt so compelled to her marble, not much expressive, features she thought she'd probably looked rather sad today.

The diviner looked from one to the other, slightly more focused now. She nodded in response. “Aithniel’s plan was to ask the God what you are asking me now, Sultan. I assume she wished to seek knowledge as to what we could do to reinforce our fading shorelines as well. He would surely be able to shine his light upon any idea and guide us in our actions.” Maren did not know why the girl left before they could call upon his guidance, but seeing as her Father Himself was the one to give her a task outside of Helovia, it must’ve not been without reason. “Although you might want to discuss this with the crafters, instead of reinforcing the coasts, simply rebuilding a new bridge to the mainland might solve our problem. It would be a shame if we were to lose our beautiful ocean views to any metal structures, in my humble opinion of course.” Which of course...  Well, in her own mind it wasn’t so humble at all. Amidst all the things she wasn’t sure about, after all those years one thing had never changed: She could still not see the logic behind destroying that damn bridge.

Perhaps the word plan was an overstatement from her part, but the tiger mare smiled at Ampere’s interest, strangely happy to feel the eagerness for her words. “If you wish I shall prepare myself to call upon the Sun once more.”  

Talking
Notes

@Volterra
Please tag me 

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

V O L T E R R A
OH, MY EYES ARE SEEING RED
DOUBLE VISION FROM THE BLOOD WE'VE SHED

Ampere's confirmation that the temple was built by Throatians causes a small, awestruck grunt to leave the beast's jaws. "It certainly is magnificent," he murmurs, glancing around with approval glowing in his ruby eyes. He hadn't thought it possible, even with the aid of magic, to create something this large and yet structurally sound. He's reminded of the Ancient Rotunda, and finds himself wondering whether that, too, was forged by horses, albeit prehistoric ones. He makes up his mind to spend more time in this temple, as it seems a shame to let such architecture go to waste.

Maren explains that Aithniel had already sought her counsel regarding the fortification of the island's banks, and Volterra listens with ears cocked firmly forwards. The Crownless suggests that they consult with the crafters before doing anything, and advises the creation of a new bridge to replace the old one. This comes as a surprise to the Indomitable, who had never realised that there had ever been a bridge linking the mainland to the Throat in the first place. "Hmm," he rumbles thoughtfully, swishing his tail idly behind him as he ponders. "It might be the militaristic side of me speaking here, but I believe that our lack of a physical bridge is one of our greatest assets when it comes to defense. Should we ever find ourselves invaded, it would be nigh on impossible for anybody without wings to launch a surprise attack on us unless they possessed one of our keys, and whilst that is a possibility, our work to reclaim the keys not owned by our residents should prevent that."

He glances to Ampere, keen to hear her opinions too. "Besides, building a bridge to the mainland would not stop the root problem of erosion - if anything, disturbing the cliffs in such a way might actually worsen the issue." He's not outright dismissing Maren's idea, but he personally would prefer to see the island fortified properly rather than simply building a new bridge. Her concern about losing the sea views is a valid one, but Volterra would rather lose a bit of beauty than his entire island home.

"I would be inclined to seek the Sun God's counsel, as he more than any of us should know how best to protect the Throat."

image credits

@Ampere @Maren

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

It's with a slightly deflated expression that Ampere takes in the continuation of Maren's words. No real plan at all except a plan to make a plan. She exhales audibly, her excitement fizzled out. She didn't think any less of Aithniel, but she had been expecting something more concrete than the God's wisdom.

As Maren throws in her own opinion, Ampere's gaze snaps back towards the tiger mare, holding her firm. There's a sharpness to her eyes, a tightness to the set of her lips against her teeth, as if the slightest twitch would expose them bared. Volterra's voice steps in before Ampere is able to utter something she might later regret, content to let her thoughts burn with it instead.

We will not undo Gaucho's work!
She may not have initially agreed with the Wildfire's plan, but Ampere has come to see the security his island-making provided. As an added bonus their magical bridge was able to gift the ground bound with flight, even if briefly. It was also quite a spectacle which always inspired (or threatened) newcomers.

She found herself nodding along to Volterra, softening slightly as she found him sensible and on the same track as her yet again. Her attention slid to him, grateful, as he concluded. Ampere exhaled steadily, letting her ire which had burned crumble into its ashes.

"Agreed. He may have new information about Kaos as well."

"Let us call the Sun."
Ampere
the
Mother of Companions

@Maren