the Rift

[OPEN] Her Day [Maude's birthday]

Tilney Posts: 288
World's Edge Moon Doctor atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2hh :: VI HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Peatree :: Lesser Fruit Bat :: None Neverrmind
Tilney

Aiya Anor, Elenion Ancalima!

The moment his eyes had peeled open they fell upon his girl of pearls. The bird's song lilted through the cut away in the tree trunk they slept under, the maututine light seeping through every crack and littering the space with phosphenes.
Maude was magical, and while it came with great joy that she was now one year old it also came with a sadness. As Tilney lifted his head from beside his lovers, blinking across the burrow at their daughter, he wondered if she would change with such a day.

Her legs were longer, her horns growing tall and taking magnificent shape. As he observed her closely the more he noticed how different she looked from when she had first come to them, a gangly bundle of bones and pearly fur.
It was hard to look much longer, for soon the doctor might surely cry. Slipping from the burrow they called home, Tilney began his journey east in the hopes of stumbling upon the hiding place of her present just past the Edge's borders. (The reason for hiding the gift so meticulously was simply so that Gawen, Zubari or Tutti wouldn't find it)

Collecting the seafoam green cloak from it's hiding place in a fallen trees hollow, Tilney set about rounding up the family members who now resided with him in the edge. Aelfwine would be somewhat easy to find, Though Bartholomeo might be more of a challenge.

@Arah @Aelfwine @Bartholomeo

☀︎

x

Wander or Leave
turn in to winter lights
☀︎

Aelfwine Posts: 101
Dragon's Throat Warrior atk: 4 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 6 years HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Vanya :: Common Cerndyr :: Lamplight Skylark
Something in you is yearning,
for where all the wild things went,
Today was Maude’s birthday. Aelfwine was overly excited, spending most of the night gathering little herbs and special plants for the tiny healer in the making. The first of many wonders, a nightshade. The plant was easiest to find at night, where its buds would wake up and reveal dark blue, silver spotted flowers that reminded her of the stars in the sky – especially living in the Moon Goddess’ land. After she had gathered the Nightshade, she meandered on, her head lowered to the ground as dawn began to crest the horizon. It began to grow increasingly hard to find things as the mist began to veil the land as it did with every morning. Despite that, Tallsun was here, and with it was warmth. The dappled doe couldn’t be more excited.

She continued her search, gathering a few different ferns and other herbal plants that she knew Maude already had in her own little garden, but it wouldn’t hurt anything to have extras laying around. It didn’t take long until she paused in her search, seeing a familiar man crest through the trees toward her. She tucked the plants away in her dark mane before moving toward Tilney to embrace her brother with a wide grin. “Are you excited?” She questioned quietly, but excitement continued to drip from her words. Then, after waiting a moment for a response if she were to get one, she lifted an eyebrow quizzically. “We should find Barty. For once, I don’t know where he’s gone.” A musical laugh escaped her lips before she turned her attention to the cliffs. Perhaps Bartholomeo would be there, revisiting his times at sea while he looked down at it from above.

"Talk."
a daisy in the cracks —
amidst a world made of cement.
aelfwine
image | coding

@Bartholomeo @Tilney

Bartholomeo Posts: 46
World's Edge Protector atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 7.0
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16'2hh :: 7 HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Snow
BARTHOLOMEO

"He's right here."

With a broad grin in place, the pirate blends from the shadows towards his family. He knows what today is - it's his niece's birthday! The stag had awoken with a strange, heavy sense of melancholy on his chest as he remembered Jack's first birthday, try as he might to focus purely on Maude's. His entire herd had gathered for the occasion, and each had brought gifts for the yearling lad. He'd been showered with presents that ranged from his own flask to hold rum in (Bartholomeo had pretended to disapprove, whilst secretly yearning for day he would be able to drink alongside his son) to pieces of armour for him to wear. Bart's gift had been the most well-received, however - one of his own swords, small enough to be wielded by Jack's young mouth.

He'd promised he would start Jack's sword training the day after that raid. It occurs to him now that he never thought to reclaim the weapon from the body.

That is why Bart has spent the morning on the cliffs to watch the sun rise whilst he sends a prayer to Jack's spirit. The early morning salt-laden wind has scoured the tears from his face, so by the time he greets Aelfwine and Tilney it's impossible to see that he's ever shed them. His smile is wide, his eyes twinkling, and there's no hint of the sadness that gripped him from the moment he awoke. This is Tilney's turn to spoil his child - Bart won't ruin it by grieving for his own.

"Now, her gift...do you think a flask of fermented apples is appropriate for a yearling?" His face is deadpan as he tilts his antlered head at his younger brother, before it splits into a smile and a booming chuckle. "I am, of course, kidding. I made this for her." From the coils of his dark mane he shakes a small piece of driftwood. It's only the size of a horse's hoof, but it has been painstakingly engraved with a variety of crooked symbols and sketches. The bay stallion had spent many an hour creating it with his one remaining knife, and the finished project has a rugged, sea-like charm. "It is a lucky amulet. When set down in a pirate's favoured place or given to his family, it is supposed to bring good fortune upon that place for as long as the amulet's owner resides there. If she sets it somewhere in the Edge, it should ensure the herd's prosperity for as long as she remains here, and is also supposed to keep the owner safe from dark forces like sea krakens and black magic." He beams, glancing between his siblings. How true the tale is he doesn't know, but given his pirate heritage he is a great believer in superstitions and charms.

heroes always get remembered,
but you know legends never die.

image credits

@Tilney

Arah Posts: 343
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Wynter :: Royal Griffin :: Draining Clutch Frostie

Arah

All these days I've been broken and hopeless and I 
I don't feel like I'm coping, I'm hoping that I
Can live and let go, so I can get through it."

Maude was no longer a young child, no their baby girl was becoming a young, confident and beautiful young woman indeed. The doe knew where she would find Tilney and set off towards were he'd hidden the presents, her own she'd stashed not too far from Tilney's. As she approached she saw her chestnut lover, Aelfwine and Bartholomeo who seemed to be suggesting a rather inappropriate gift for their daughter's birthday. Surely he was joking, her hooves went still as she waited listening. Sh good, it was for Tilney, Arah didn't like the idea of having to politely suggest that perhaps he'd been drinking too much of the substance himself if he thought it appropriate for Maude. Wynter collected their own gift from beneath a log, chirping quietly to those gathered. Smiling she approached her lover and greeted him with a wide smile before turning to the others. "How are you Aelfwine, Bartholomeo?" She asked, her golden orbs dancing between the two. Studying the amulet she a warmth spread across he chest at Bartholomeo's kindness, after all it was not his job to find gifts for their daughter's birthday. "That's a wonderful gift, thank you so very much Bartholomeo." Next her eyes drifted towards Aelfwine's mane and she wondered if the herbs gathered in the mare's mare were for their daughter as well. As Maude was hoping to become a healer she could think of no better gift, "are those herbs for Maude as well?" Arah asked hoping that they were as they'd be perfect for Maude.

In fact the herbs would tie nicely in with her own gift, a small pouch that Maude could keep her fired herbs in and then use later. It had a pull string that was loosened or tightened with a pearl, something she thought was a good idea in order to mach the other beautiful pearls that her daughter had. Smiling she turned to Tilney, "ready for this?" The doe most certainly did not feel as if she was. In fact she didn't want to believe that their daughter had grown so fast.
Credit

@Tilney
And I ain't afraid to die, I’m afraid of going to hell.

✽ Force and magic permitted. ✽
✽ No fatal or permanent damage. ✽
✽ Please only tag in opening posts. ✽

Zubari Posts: 52
World's Edge Colt
Colt :: Unicorn :: 17.1 :: 1Year 8 Months
Kuuma :: Melanistic African Civet :: None Dressy
zubari

His concentration focused on thoughts of an item. Golden eyes narrowed upon the empty air in front of him. Zubari lowered his nose to a large rock in front of him. Twisting his dense skull, he noticed that golden streaks ran through the stone. It was like it had veins full of golden blood coursing through the material. His nose touched the cold, heartless rock, then something magical happened. It started to move and shift under his gaze. Taking a step away from the rock Zubari smiled looking to the Kuuma, (who was off chasing a butterfly). Golden orbs twisted into an unusual stare as he moved his skull causing the gold to bend and start to form into the shape of an object. This task required eminence concentration, but his work finally paid off. Laying on the ground in front of him were two leg guards. They were perfectly formed. The boy huffed and prided himself in this work that he just accomplished. He did this on his own with no help from his father or any other person. This was his creation, his magic, and no one could take that from him. Moving closer to the guards his chocolate nose touched them softly. Inscriptions of beautiful Earth-like markings christened the surface of the bright objects. Raising his heavy skull, Zubari looked to Kuuma, who finally came running over to see what he did. Picking up each on Zubari placed each guard on his back. Kuuma climbed his leg chirping happily. Finally, the little creature was... Snap Zubari pinned his ears looking at the beast. He though she would eventually stop biting him... oh well, off they go.

The Civet clung onto the shining golden pieces as the boy traveled through Edge. He could not wait to show his sister what he made, but something snagged his attention. Kuuma pulled and tugged at his mane to tell him to see what was going on. "Kuuma No! I am not... ." His voice snapped in the air before he became quiet again. Bright eyes widened seeing all the others gathering around. Quietly he crept over to the gathering. Standing away from the crowd he watched as they started speaking about a birthday.Golden orbs narrowed trying to listen to what the adults were saying. Then a name came from a cream mare. Maude, it must be her birthday. Turning his heavy skull to look at Kuuma (who was looking at herself in the reflective surface). It must be nice to have a family that cares about their children. The chocolate colt could feel the bitter taste of hate building up in his mouth. He blamed his parents for leaving the boy to raise himself. Quitely he waited until each one finished speaking.

Moving closer to the group of others he smiled softly. "I heard you talking about Maude. Is it really her birthday?." Looking to Tilney the boy looked back down to the ground quickly. The moon doctor has known him since birth, and Zubari did hold respect for the man. "I just made these leg guards. I know she might be too young to use them now, but do you think Maude would like them?." Reaching for his back he placed both items on the ground. Kuuma, on the other hand, was not so keen on giving her stuff away. She jumped off his back and sat upon the leg guards watching Zubari. "She is a good friend of mine. I am Zubari." His heavy skull dipped to the others around him. The boy might be crude and rough around the edges, but he still had respect for elders in the herd (Because if not he would have to deal with his father).

"Talk."

OOC:: Zubari used a seasonal slot to create Leg Guards with earth markings ingraved on them for Maude of any color gold she would like.
Also I hope you do not mind him jumping in to give his friend a gift. :)
Can you see my scars, can you feel my heart? This is all of me for all of the world to see

lines | color & coding

@Tilney

Please Tag Zubari in all Posts.
You may use magic and cause slight injury

Tilney Posts: 288
World's Edge Moon Doctor atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2hh :: VI HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Peatree :: Lesser Fruit Bat :: None Neverrmind
Tilney

Aiya Anor, Elenion Ancalima!

Aelfwine was the first to find him, the bronze stag giving a wide (but nervous) grin towards his youngest sister. Clunking his antlers against her own momentarily, the ginger strode forth with a rather impressive sigh escaping his maw. "I am excited, yes" He spoke, but of course, soon came the "but..."
"I just don't want her to ever grow up Aelf"
The doctor spoke this with a sadness, a heaviness to his words, though also a great amount of hope. The woman she was becoming was one he was remarkably proud of, not only because of how beautiful her mind and soul was, but because of how much love she mirrored towards any she met be it a creature big or small.
Maude lacked the fierceness of her mother, though her heart was just as strong. Additionally, she was exceptionally beautiful - perhaps Tilney's greatest worry was this.

His troublesome thoughts soon dispersed upon his elder brother's arrival, the splashed stag emerging from the scrub smelling of sea salt and fermented apples. It caused Tilney to scrunch his nose ones or twice, though eventually he stepped forth and clunked his antlers harshly against the battered crown of Bartholomeo.
There was something chipping at his brother, something masked well by a sheet of cheer and revelling - Tilney could feel it, he could hear it, and it caused the flaxen father to frown. The whispers he heard escaping from Bartholomeos mind panicked him, though he managed to contain it within a few deep breaths and a nod, reminding himself that today was about Maude. He made a note to talk to Bart at a later date, though really he just wished to apologise right then and there... and ask what an earth Bartholomeo was doing here, putting himself through a different child's birthday. His sombre thoughts were interrupted by Barts cheer, unveiling a beautifully carved tallisman made for Maude.
Tilneys eyes came alight, tears threatening in the very corners of his eyes. The others might think him crazy (he was certain only Arah knew of his newly found mind-reading abilities), but it became overwhelmingly obvious when Tilney was overwhelmed by the thoughts he heard. Now this?
"Oh, Bart!" He cheered "What a wonderful gift. She will love that" was all he managed to splutter.

Upon Arah's approach, Tilney sighed with relief. He crossed the earth to stand by her, briefly nestling his head into the curve of her neck before he turned over his forelegs to face his siblings.
To answer Arah's question, he just gaze a short-lived smile and a nod.
No, he wasn't ready.

A familiar, blackened face soon joined the group. He colt caused Tilney to frown at first, but he instead settled for saying nothing. It was thoughtful of the prince to bring her a gift, but leg wraps? What was dear maude going to need those for? He hoped master Zubari wasn't intending on teaching his Maude how to fight, or anything along those lines.
"How... kind" Tilney muttered through stiff lips. He wished to shoo the child, but it was with a glance to Arah that he decided he should welcome such kindness towards his daughter. "She will be very greatful Zubari"

@Maude
np dressy!! <3 tilneys like omg fool back off hahahah

☀︎

x

Wander or Leave
turn in to winter lights
☀︎

Maude Posts: 140
World's Edge Filly
Filly :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: Yearling
Bunnie

Dozing in the warm underbelly of Trewdwellan, Maude’s eyes blink open, revealing the dusty, golden light spilling in from the afternoon outside. Though it is cool enough in the dark, she can feel summer’s warmth breathe through the opening, tempting her to wake and revel in its glory.

This was her season, after all; born in the lazy heat, this had been the world that the maiden had first seen, and would always be how she remembered home. Stretching, the bittersweet realization that she is much larger than she used to be settles into her mind for the first time, especially when she stands up, and notices how her antlers could actually touch the ceiling now, if she really wanted to.

She’s about to lift herself up onto her hind legs to do just that when she remembers something; something rather important, actually.

Oh no!” she exclaims, remembering that she’d promised daddy that she would meet him today. Suddenly worried about her impromptu nap, the filly quickly tightens her tail silk and realigns her antler’s pearls, before shaking out her somewhat voluminous amounts of hair (especially when considering her age). Not willing to look a disaster for the day nearly already being one, Maude bolts from the tree-den no sooner than she is sure she looks as good as she might, for being rushed.

No time to brush her hair, after all!

Rushing to the meeting spot, the girl is quite flabbergasted to stumble upon her entire family (and Zubari, too!) along the way to the designated meeting spot. Stopping, her hock length tail swishing about her legs, and her rippling mane tickling the upper ridge of her shoulder, the doe’s eyes are wide with surprise, her mouth an “O” of wonder. No sooner does she grasp what’s going on than her lips begin to arc into a grin, which widens and widens, especially when she lays eyes on what appears to be the most splendid arrangement of fabrics she’s ever seen.

What’s all this, you guys?” she laughs and smiles, already feeling emotional despite having just arrived.

& I know that God exists
’cause I’m holding her in my arms
Art by neverrmind @ DA

@EVERYONE lol
@Tilney @Arah @Aelfwine @Bartholomeo @Zubari
And you people where are you people you're invited tooooooo
@Jude @Byron @Gawen @Katua (tell smitt to get you outta the threshold fool)
Hold onto this lullaby, even when the music's gone.

Aelfwine Posts: 101
Dragon's Throat Warrior atk: 4 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 6 years HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Vanya :: Common Cerndyr :: Lamplight Skylark
Something in you is yearning,
for where all the wild things went,
Luckily for the dappled doe, Bartholomeo wasn’t far behind her. His voice rumbled to her ears and she grinned, turning her horned head to her brother. Immediately, Aelfwine scooted toward her brother to gently press her muzzle to his pale shoulder in greeting, before he began to explain his gift. “What a lovely gift.” She murmured as she inspected it. Then Arah appeared, and Aelfwine dipped her head gently to the ivory doe with a bright smile. “I’m doing well, I hope you’re feeling better?” She added in with a tilt of her head, remembering the rough time Arah had previously.

Soon, Arah’s questions went from Barty to her and Aelfwine nodded with a bright grin. “Yes! I found a few herbs from around the area as well as a beautiful Nightshade.” She finished, beaming proud at her little bundle of herbs for her niece. Then, a young man joined the family, offering a gift from himself to Maude and Aelfwine found her eyes glancing toward Bartholomeo, with a raised eyebrow. “A good friend, huh?” The look seemed to say. However, things began to move on and Aelfwine could sense the apprehension in Tilney’s voice as he accepted the gift for her.

Suddenly, Maude appeared with a bewildered look. A grin grew on Aelfwine’s pink snipped lips as she lowered her head and approached Maude, dropping her little bundle of herbs topped with a beautiful Nightshade at her hooves. “Happy birthday, little pearl.” She spoke as quickly as she could, trying to hold back her excitement. “Don’t give your father a heart attack with how fast you’re growing, alright?” She flashed a wink before moving back and allowing the others to give her their presents and their comments.

"Talk."
a daisy in the cracks —
amidst a world made of cement.
aelfwine
image | coding

@Bartholomeo is next I think? SORRY ITS SO BAD.

Bartholomeo Posts: 46
World's Edge Protector atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 7.0
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16'2hh :: 7 HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Snow
BARTHOLOMEO

Arah's arrival causes a broad grin to appear upon his face. As she thanks him for his gift, the stag smiles and inclines his antlered head. "It is my pleasure." Maude deserves every gift that's sent her way, and more! The next to arrive is a young boy, and Bart raises a suspicious eyebrow. Isn't the filly a tad young to have admirers? All the same, the colt's gift is thoughtful, and he shoots Tilney a sidelong glance along the lines of that could be your future son-in-law.

Thankfully, Bart is unaware of the fact Tilney has just delved into his mind. He assumes the crinkling of his brother's eyes is due to happiness at his daughter's growth and good health, and smiles happily back as his brother thanks him for his gift.

Then, it's time for the arrival of the birthday girl herself. The pirate's jaws are wide with mirth as Maude wanders in, looking just as beautiful as ever. It's obvious she gets those looks from her mother! He approaches Maude and drops the crafted amulet at her feet, his smile broad and his voice a hearty boom as he begins to sing. Well...caterwaul. "Haaaaaaaappy birthday to you, thank the Gods you're not two, but you will be before you knowww it....happy birthday to you." The improvised song is accompanied by a great laugh, then a genuine softening of the stag's handsome face as he gazes fondly down at the little golden girl. "Happy birthday, Maude. This is just a little gift from your favourite Uncle Bart - it'll keep you and the Edge safe from all the bad things in the world." Then he steps back, knowing that her parents will want to spoil her too.

heroes always get remembered,
but you know legends never die.

image credits

@Arah