the Rift

[OPEN] No more yielding, but a dream

Yael Posts: 186
World's Edge Seer atk: 7.5 | def: 11 | dam: 2.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.2 :: 39 - appears 8 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zani :: Serval :: None Astor
Exhausted, burned, and altogether annoyed at the world around her, Yael walks back to the Edge for the first time in a very long time. Her breast hurts, the underside of her wings are tender, and to top it off, she’s smoking. Literally smoking hot, and not in the way that Gaal looks at her. From fire-cheetahs to shape shifters in rivers, this tired little woman dearly needs some rest and relaxation amongst the soft and fragrant pine needle beds of the forest. Step by step, she winces her way back from the Meadow area, leaving a trail of gray clouds behind her.

There is something else tugging at her heart, and in turn, the rest of her very small body. Her heart is so big, so welcoming that it seems to take up the entirety of her chest, forcing out lungs and liver and kidneys. The flip side is that when something bothers her, when something needles at the edges of her heart and causes twinges to radiate throughout her massive heart, it is as if they effect her soul, her body, her entire being. What is the cause, you might ask? Well, that is a good question. She doesn’t quite know. It is a sort of restlessness, a dissatisfaction, a yearning - but not for chocolate or spring flowers, or anything like that.

What does she do here, and what has she done? Why does she stay? Who would miss her, if she were to leave? A life half-full is only half-lived, and the gilded woman is all to aware that her immortality has been taken from her; she can feel it in her joints, in the very way she walks and flies and the conversations she has.

And then - a thought, a spark, a flame (how very apt). What if she were to simply disappear for awhile, into her dragon-self? What would it be like to live not as Yael the pegasus - but Yael the dragon? To give up her horse self entirely, to live and breathe and sleep and eat as a carnivorous, flame-wielding beast?

Helovia seems to be sending her signs, after all. Or is it?

Yael

a lover of the light

Open :)

Please only tag in starter posts, or if the thread is getting dusty
Force and magic allowed, no death please

Amaris Posts: 299
World's Edge Philosopher atk: 5.5 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16h :: 4 years HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Dramyrth :: Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Frost Breath Whit
Amaris
drákos istoría

Concern had not left the dragonmare since the curious, fiery encounter with a creature that seemed to be birthed from the very fires itself. Worry, for the others present, the children, those merely caught in the crossfire, still bloomed within her; she wanted to check on each individual who had been present once the dust settled, once the tumultuous emotions and feelings had died down within her, once she had more control over herself, so she could focus on the others, could learn their fates, ensure their survival.

I'd be a terrible healer, she commented idly to her companion. Amaris was selfless to a point - but she simply couldn't put her attention on to others without first gaining control of herself, lest she cause more damage than harm. First rule of healers; do no harm, Dramyrth commented dryly in response, hoping his bonded would understand the point he was trying to make to her - in preventing others from coming to more harm she was in fact helping them, surely. A small huff of breath was all the dragonmare offered in response, still convinced that she would be a terrible nurse, though she knew she needed to learn more about the healing art if she was ever going to be of use to her herd.

Walking was not something she usually did, and with wings protruding from her shoulders, why should she? But the burns still glowed and ached upon her, the movement of beating her wings and wind pulling against the overly-sensitive skin would have been too much for her to bear - so she walked, while her companion drifted lazily above her, darting off now and then to snap at a rodent (also known as a snack) or investigate something that pulled on his curiosity. The dragonmare's thoughts replayed the events over and over; most notably the presence of the great silver dragon that had burst forth from the golden pegasus - and had awoken a most primal, carnal beast within herself. Amaris wanted to know more, but was hesitant, almost afraid - not of the pegasus or the dragon she became, but of what occurred within herself when faced with such things.

Dragon-lady, the golden king mused, having spied the mare ahead of them. Lengthening her strides into a speedy, if slightly limping, pace, Amaris threw her hesitations aside and called softly to the pegasus.
"Hail," she uttered, "are you all right?" Smoke billowed from the wounds the mare carried, and at first Amaris thought the belle could still be on fire; but it seemed, much like the dragonmare's wounds were glowing softly, perhaps this mare's would smoke and steam until they had healed. "Thank you," Amaris said, not knowing exactly what she was grateful to the mare for. "For helping the others get out," she added, before falling into a silence that hinted at the shame she felt for allowing the other-Amaris, the queenly dragon within her to rise up and chase off the fire-cheetah in an angry rage. Across her chest was the evidence of her efforts; four long, glowing gashes, a lasting kiss from the cheetah's claws.
Artelanas | whimzi
on deviantart

@Yael
No need to mirror my post length - I have a horrible case of the rambly writer syndrome!
I like being tagged!
You are always welcome to 'try' and use force/magic on Amaris, but similar to spar posts, leave it to me to decide how the damage is taken please~

TOP SEASONAL POSTER:
An imagined faux life whirls about her head to the detriment of her ears, so much so that Amaris’s Hail! goes unanswered. It isn’t until the champagne and gold, dragon-winged mare draws close enough to Yael’s peripheral vision that she is noticed. That, in and of itself, is weird for Yael, but these are awfully confusing days for her. One might even say that the decades old mare, who has seen so much and gone through a myriad of changes, is not quite herself. And for as self-aware as she prides herself on being, not even Yael can place her wing-tips on it.

The stranger’s question is met with a briefly befuddled response, until Yael remembers that she’s leaving an unusual trail of smoke in her wake. Her face brightens with the realization, “Oh! Yes, yes, of course. I am fine, just some unusual side eefects of Xelovia’s mageec, yes? Are you alright?” At almost a full two hands shorter than the other, Yael catches a glimpse of some glowing wounds, which, if she can recall correctly, were not there before. Normally, she would throw away the events with a shrug and a chuckle, but this one is no laughing matter. The Ant Queen was no laughing matter either - this seems inherently more serious. Children could have been killed. Whatever the creatures of Helovia are playing at is no longer amusing, and she wonders if Kaos has something to do with this. Between the violence and the Ant Queen’s death, the river shifter, the wildfire, it’s as if someone has decided to step it up a notch and make them pay in flesh and blood. He is the only thing that comes to mind.

Her head shakes, dismissing the proffered thanks. “Eet ees nozing. I’ve yet to see a dragon xurt by fire… t’ough eet seems my true form ees… razer uncomfortable.” Making a face to indicate her displeasure and discomfort, Yael soldiers slowly on. Truth is, she’s happy to have someone to talk to, to keep the other thoughts away. Time for some small talk. “Are you new to ze Edge? I xaf not seen you xere before.”  

Yael

a lover of the light

@Amaris

Amaris
drákos istoría

Side-effects indeed, Amaris winced with almost every step she took, her wounds fresh and tender, glowing as if a volcano's lava floes were dripping down her legs and splashed across her barrel. Her cousin had done what she could for all, and the pool of water she had found in the Caves below seemed to have done more than just quench her thirst - but the aching would linger for a while as her body completed the healing for the magical burns. But while the dragonmare's burns glowed, Yael's smoked, most curious indeed.

"I am okay," Amaris said, at first not used to the mare's exotic accent - she was reminded sorely of her mother's own intonations (the dragonmare herself had a faint accent, different to the native tongue of Helovia's but not as strong as Yael's or her mother's). She looked upon the mare with renewed interest, wanting to know more about her, to learn what she could and befriend her - she seemed otherworldly, ancient in her mannerisms, yet youthful in her stride and step (aside from the pain she was in at the moment, obviously).

The mare is a humble creature, shrugging off her selfless actions without so much as a second thought, her heroic, altruistic actions and resulting injuries pinned down as nothing more than a mild discomfort.
"Yes," Amaris agreed with Yael's assessment of dragons, "fire does not usually affect most dragons - though they are not completely impervious." Though Amaris' dragonscales protected her from most fiery things, such curiosities as the magical wall of flames they had just faced clearly still left a mark.

Amaris fell into step with the pegasus, their strides matching, their injuries similar enough to make each limp a shared experience.
"Oh," she said, surprised to be questioned (though really, she should have expected it, for not everyone was like her and happy to exist in a comfortable silence). "I was born in the Edge, years ago -" (- obviously, Dramyrth commented -) "but found my heart wandering, and so left for some time. When my cousin joined the Throat, I followed her there, before bonding with Dramyrth." (The dragon cooed from his position in the skies above them, clearly eavesdropping and not getting mentioned enough.)

"I left Helovia just over half a season ago, to show my family who live in lands of dragonfolk, to introduce Dramyrth to them, but when I returned, two Helovian years had passed. I found my cousin again - she is a Nurse of the Edge, Tandavi is her name - and so have re-joined as a Philosopher." It was a condensed tale of 'recent events in the life of Amaris', and she told it was an academic tone, as if she herself was separate to those events. In a way, she was, for she was now living her life to the fullest, trying to make up for lost time, doing her best to contribute to her herd, learn what she could about all that had occurred - help the citizens of Helovia to overcome the latest threat, this Kaos.

"How about you? How long have you called the Edge your home?" she enquired in her soft singsong voice, genuinely interested and hoping she was not overstepping the bounds of polite conversation - she was, after all, genuinely curious, keen to know more, to befriend, to forge a relationship with this fascinating creature.
Artelanas | whimzi
on deviantart

@Yael
No need to mirror my post length - I have a horrible case of the rambly writer syndrome!
I like being tagged!
You are always welcome to 'try' and use force/magic on Amaris, but similar to spar posts, leave it to me to decide how the damage is taken please~

If only Amaris knew how old Yael was - and furthermore, in the land where she’d left her kin - there were those who were far older than she, that some of her very own children would live until the end of the world if they so chose. Some of them deserved that gift (yes, she thinks of it as a gift, believing in the eternal duty to do good, to try and change the world for the better - their lives are so brief, how can they possibly accomplish anything against the ever encroaching tides of evil?), like Gaza, her kind-hearted son made in the image of his sire. Kitra, on the other hand, with as much love and respect as she had for her mother, was a brat and petty and used her wiles to her own ends - and as much as Yael would mourn her beautiful daughter when she passed, she knows the mare has contributed little to the world other than a pretty face. Kitra does not deserve immortality.

Does Yael? Even a half version of it? Some might say it’s her time to go, having lived a normal lifespan twice over. As much as she hates to admit it, aging frightens her, it gives her a sense of anxiety and need to do it all and see it all before she no longer can.

Now that the pair step in time, Yael is able to take note of details that previously escaped her attention (smoke and fire will do that, you know): while she finds the dragon wings unremarkable, the plates and curves of scales across the mare’s head, throat, chest, and wings give her pause. She remembers half-horse, half-(insert species here) in B’kanna, but in Xelovia that is not the case. Pegasi and unicorns and mostly-horses they have galore, but no one who displays traits of two species equally. A warm, but scrutinizing gazes washes over Amaris accordingly, and while they are not quite sizing each other up, she catches the same appraisal in the other.

A soft chuckle and sheepish grin flush across Yael’s face. “True, but steel - perxaps I ought to stay een my dragon form, eet seems she ees far more comfortable zen I am.” Which is a peculiar thing to say, to make some distinction between the horse-Yael and dragon-Yael, but if Amaris is to get to know her, she will find the mild-mannered pegasus is far different than her fire-breathing counterpart. They are yin and yang squeezed into a tiny little body, tucking in amongst the various other secrets that have yet to be revealed. Long ears swivel to catch the woman’s story and the name of her cousin brings a spark of recognition. When the companion is mentioned, her gaze flies up to the cooing gold, returning it with a trill of her own - which is altogether different than the dragon sounds. More like a softened, forward-place ululation. Half bird call, half tribal sound. “Oh, I know xer! Not vell, but she vas telling us of a mare named Meerage, ze Dragonxeart.” There is only the briefest of pauses as the amount of dragon-ness registers as far more than coincidental. With a conspiratorial look, Yael tries to press on, but is interrupted by a question about herself.

Ah, well. Her question can wait a moment. “Not long. I came at ze end of last Fall. And even now, ah… xome ees not alvays vhat I call eet.” Nor does she call it a trap or prison or anything so derogatory, because they were kind enough to take her in and take care of her. But Yael is not the mare she once was and Xelovia carries no scrap, no iota, no inkling of the worlds she’s left behind (not yet - !). Home is what she’s trying to make it, though the progress is slow. Another friend would surely help. But back to Amaris. She slides right back into the question that flickered on the end of her tongue only moments before.

“I don’t suppose zat you vould be related on ze same side to zis Meerage… ?” Her dainty, but long head tilts slightly to one side, trying to figure Amaris out - perhaps she would be kind enough to fit all the pieces together for gilded lady.  

Yael

a lover of the light

@Amaris
oh hai novel D:

Amaris
drákos istoría

They exchange their looks, their glances, their investigative stares, each accepting the inquisitive nature of the other, each coming to their own conclusions, drawing their own judgements, crafting their own thoughts about the other. Amaris thought Yael a beautiful creature, who walked and breathed and existed with a simple elegance, a grace, a sense of wisdom and knowing earnt only by those who had lived through many trials and tribulations, adventures and journeys. It was not the first time Amaris observed the similarities between the pegasus and her mother, and came to the same conclusion again and again - Mirage had been unremarkable in stature and size, slim and quickfooted, often viewing the world with a smirk upon her lips and a subtle, enquiring gaze behind her deep, golden eyes. And then, it was with the Goddess' touch that she had become the DragonHeart - dark magic had coursed through her veins, gifting her with the ability to embrace her draconic nature, her true nature?

As Yael referred to her dragonself as seemingly an entire separate being, Amaris could not help the smile that danced across her lips, for she recalled her mother speaking similarly of her otherself. The dragonmare was almost overwhelmed with a desire to fall into an embrace with this mare, this stranger, this pegasus who though looked nothing like her mother, seemed to hold so many other similarities - more significant similarities, clearly. In her own timeline, the DragonHeart's passing had occurred not long before she had departed Helovia just half a turn ago; Amaris' heart was still fragile, still healing from the loss, still reeling as her emotions rose and fell like waves within her. In this mare, this curious little pegasus lass, she had found a kindred spirit, a wise and clever and delightful creature whose approval she now craved, desired, yearned to gain and keep - and she so longed to sling her own scaled nape around the pegasus' slim withers and hold her to her breast, to feel something akin to physical affection for this perfect stranger, this herdmate, this friend?

But Amaris did not act upon her want, her desire, for to do so would be to recognise the hurt, the loss, the passing of her mother all over again, and to admit that she was still so broken, so defeated inside (despite Dramyrth's wondrous existence, it was impossible to deny the abysmal loss the dragonmare still felt within herself). To bend to it all would make it everything worse, to admit that she was severely damaged by it still, when so much time had passed in Helovia, would admit that she was weak, pathetic, it would prove that despite the greatness of her parentage (even if Mirage's actions were considered acts of terrorism to some, she was still great), she was unworthy, a fragile representation of equine and draconic existence, shameful and undeserving to walk the life she was walking. The dragonmare swallowed instead, and with the action, she stuffed away the nostalgic, depressed yearning to be closer to this kindred spirit, and listened to her next instalment - only to have her insides shattered once more, as the pegasus announced her knowledge of Mirage the DragonHeart ( but of course she's heard of her, she's an integral part of the Edge's history - the herd that resides there now may never had existed if not for her actions in shattering the racist regime that pervaded Helovia ). Amaris held onto the smile that had perched itself upon her lips, nodding along absently to the words, praying they would not be brought up again so soon.

It was hypocritical of Amaris to listen to Yael's declaration of the Edge not always being her home, for the dragonmare had certainly wandered aplenty in her young life (and had just admitted it nonetheless), but she felt a strong, renewed, refreshed sense of loyal ties to the Edge now, and felt unexplainably defensive of the pegasus' lack of reciprocation. But Amaris did her best to swallow those feelings too, knowing they were misguided, inaccurately placed - Dramyrth distracted her, feelings the turmoil his bonded was in and hoping to make it a lighter load, by responding happily to Yael's trill by diving low in front of them and performing some airborne acrobatics, puffing some cooling, snowy breath in and around their aching limbs as he did so. Thank you, the dragonmare silently said to him, letting the sensation wash over her, both physical and emotional, as they walked along the Edge's misty paths.

And then Yael dove in and brought up her mother once more and Amaris could not help the seconds of surprise that crossed her façade, the flash of hurt and torment and torture, the milliseconds of stunned silence, the moments of lost grace as her step stumbled and tripped - but she recovered swiftly, blinked away the stunned expression upon her countenance and plastered a smile on there instead. How had she drawn that conclusion so swiftly? But then - Tandavi probably spoke of her aunt, and I am Tandavi's cousin.. and half dragon no less.. I was a fool to think my return would not bring some uncomfortable questions to the surface.
"The DragonHeart was my mother," Amaris started, knowing there was no denying it, no hiding from it - enough knew her from before her absence in the herd that it would be spoken about anyway, so she may as well speak her part and hope a story as close to the truth was spread rather than sensationalised, rumour-ridden tale changed and altered by every tongue it wandered across.

"She had similar magic to yourself - the ability to turn into a golden dragon, blessed by the Goddess herself. Mother took the Edge herdlands for herself and her followers, known as the Qian in a battle fought with the support of the other two herds that existed in the lands at the time. Helovia was a smaller realm back then, the Aurora Basin was not yet recognised as a herdland, the Hidden Falls were known instead as the Windtossed Foothills, and the Dragon's Throat was still connected to the mainland. Mother had her allies, and did not want to start a war, but the laws of the land were harsh and cruel, and so her actions became as much to obtain that which she had been blessed by the Moon Goddess to obtain." It was, as always, a condensed retelling of the events of the world Amaris had been born into, though she hoped she did it justice. "I was born after the Edge was secured by the Qian, and experienced the herd of former Edgelings', who at the time resided in the Basin, first attempt to re-taking the lands. They failed, and mother's reign continued until the Wraith's invaded the lands. She went directly into the fray, into the darkness, the poisoned lands and -"

Here, Amaris hesitated, swallowing abruptly, catching her breath, reassembling her thoughts. It had been cathartic, a release of the pent up tension, a torrent of historical retelling. Gathering her wits about her again, she continued:
"She wanted to vanquish this enemy, to protect the herd, the family she had built. My father took my sister and I away, to his birthlands of dragons; amidst the chaos, we lost Tandavi, and mother's brothers and sister joined her in the fight.." she trailed off again softly, her tone undulating as she neared the conclusion of her tale. "Sight nor sound of my mother was heard again until not long before Dramyrth hatched for me - I found her again, resurrected by the Moon Goddess, only to embrace her mortality at last and take her final flight in her draconic frame. I farewelled the DragonHeart, my mother, upon the borders of the very lands she poured so much of herself into." She wondered if the pegasus mare would pick up on the freshness of this event for Amaris - two years at least had passed since the DragonHeart had fallen for everyone else, but for her, it was still so new, so difficult, so strange. Mirage had been missing for so many years, but Amaris had always held the belief that she was still alive, still existing, never truly able to die - she was a timeless monument, a belief system, a faith in and of itself, more than she was an unremarkable, little black mare.

"Sorry," Amaris murmured after a few moments, "for the superfluous history lesson. I don't mention her often, for fear of not being to live up to her name - or for fear of living up to the negative connotations her name sometimes carries."
Artelanas | whimzi
on deviantart

@Yael - I see your novel and I raise you a book series! lol, loving this thread <3
I like being tagged!

“Oh, no! Zat’s eksactly vhat I’m lookeeng for!” Yael exclaims, trying to head off an apology, but not quite able to do so. “Ze xeestory of Helovia, eet ees my project as Sage. T’ere are so many from so many backgrounds xere, vhat vonderful and fantasteec stories zey must all xaf. And I am so new xere… I xaf much to learn…” She trails off, watching the waves of emotion as they travel through Amaris, murmurs and changes in tone that her emotionally intelligent ears tune in to. Yael may be wretched as a warrior in her natural form, but she makes up for physical strength in other ways; a supple willow tree bends and twists in a wind that would break an unyielding oak tree in half. Her ability to adapt, so be a soft pillow for some, a forceful font of truth for others, a mother, a lover, a queen - that is her true power.

“You know,” she begins again, pausing in their walk to take a serious moment. “You cannot control vhat ozers t’ink of your mozer, no more t’an you can control your own feeleengs about xer. So vhy try? Eet ees okay to let yourself leev een ze good kalitees she xad, as long as you let yourself also acknoledge ze vones t’at maybe veren’t so good, yes?” She allows herself to extend her nose and tap Amaris on the chest, ever so lightly. “Dragons may cast beeg shadows, but I’m more cureeous about ze power of ze xeart een xere. Withdrawing, the golden mare’s appraising gaze gives her a look that says they both know that she’s wallowing a bit. “Trust me on zis vone. A body ees only a shell for a soul. Just because I can breaze fire doesn’t mean I vill change my nature.”

Not unless a certain white witch attacks her again. Then all bets are off.

With a small swoop of her wings, the black dips dipping into the air before them, Yael gestures for the pair to continue. “So, ah… xow old ees Xelovia eksactly? You seem young, but speak of t’ings zat I do not xear many mention.” She would be the first to say that age is only a number, that appearances are deceptive - but still, she wonders how much of a task she has before her, knowing full well how much can happen in a year. Would be a good idea to take on another of the Wise ranks to help with the thankless work?  

Yael

a lover of the light

@Amaris  Bahhhh idk why this took me so long to reply to, and why I had to rewrite it so many times but HERE YOU GO AND IM SORRY ILU <3

Akumi Posts: 24
World's Edge Philosopher atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 4 years (Bird Song) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Rose
Akumi is cantering not too far off from the two dragon mares exercising herself. After taking her nap in the middle of the day her muscles needed a good stretch. Coming over a small hill she notices two cream-yellow colored mares that she believes she recognizes. Turning towards them she redirects her canter to them, the blur coming clearer with less distance between them.

Then she gets it.

They were the mares that were present for the summoning with her that Isopia conducted. She thought of their names but couldn’t completely recall. Amaris? Her mind searched for the other name but it couldn’t surface. Coming closer she let air escape her lungs in the sound of a friendly greeting. Hoping she wasn’t intruding on an important meeting they might’ve been having, she dipped her horn in respect. “Hello fellow philosopher!” she said looking to Amaris. Turning to Yael, she searched her brain again but could not remember any of her information. “Hello miss! Forgive me but I don’t think I’ve learned your name yet.” She then looked to both of them, “My name is Akumi, if you don’t remember me from Isopia’s summoning.”

Akumi

image credit

______________________________________________________________________________________
@Amaris @Yael

OOC: Hope you don’t mind if I join! Just thought it would be a great opportunity to meet the two of you since I Love both your characters so much! PS: Congratulations on COTM Yael! <3
Someday somebody will best me. But it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Throughout Yael's insistence that she welcomed such a long-winded, Amaris could not help but smile a little small, sad smile. She felt exposed, raw, unmasked before the mare's knowing eyes and warm encouragements. Amaris appreciated the mare, or at least she would once the fog of her current emotional state wore off - she did not show it overly much, a subtle pull of her lips here, a frown there, a deep sigh and of course the fluctuating tone of her words. But she knew that Yael would detect every nuance, that her fellow in rank would be able to read even that which Amaris did her best to school from her expression.

The goldenmare paused her steps then, and Amaris did the same, easing her aching limbs to a standstill and turning her full attention on to the mare, ears pricked, though the gleam from her eyes had dulled a bit, from the pain of her wounds or the neverending tale she had just told, she wasn't sure - probably a mixture of the two. As Yael spoke, Amaris felt very much that the words could have been spoken by her own mother, again, she was overcome with a yearned for physical closeness, for an embrace, a hug, a caress of affection - and she got it, in a sense, as the mare's golden maw reached out to touch on the spot where four new silver slashes lay across her chest.

She the spoke of souls and how the body is but a temporary vessel for the soul within - and Amaris nodded along, knowing this better than most, for the souls of past dragons she had always been able to summon demonstrated that quite efficiently. Whenever they appeared on this plane by her magical whim, they existed not in bodies, but as spirits, as glowing lanterns of their former selves, able to summon the fire they once used to ( and Amaris had an errant thought, was a dragon's fire linked to their soul? ).

The dragonmare appreciated her fellow's words, though she was weary and run down from the emotional turmoil of her story and the admittance of her fears. She tried to cling to the message Yael was getting across, and perhaps, after a rest and time to think, she would be able to process the words more thoroughly and express her gratitude properly to Yawl for saying them. The dragonmare offered a small, tired smile to her golden compatriot, hoping that it communicated enough what she was feeling, her fatigue, her gratitude, her general, aching need to rest very soon.

They were walking again, and Yael was asking another question, which Amaris spent due time mulling over so that she could give an accurate answer, but the train of her thoughts was derailed by the arrival of another (and Amaris wasn't wholly upset by this, though she was nearing the end of her social battery life for today). Amaris smiled warmly at the young, dark unicorn, welcoming her happily into the fold of their ranks - the Philosophers, never before had they seen such activitiy and enthusiasm. Amaris hoped it was all for the betterment of the herd, though she wondered at the practicalities of having so many individuals dedicated to thinking and not otherwise contributing to the lands.

"Hello, Akumi," she said softly, vaguely recognising the mare from other such interactions, ultimately pleased to be meeting her 'properly' but hampered slightly by her own fatigued state to be of much more use. She gave a promising look to Yael, something that said we'll resume this conversation another time, promise. Coming to a halt, the mare's wounds still sizzling from their interaction with the fire-cheetah, she lets the golden pegasus introduce herself and hopes to soon find her hovel to rest and recoup from the day's activities - though doing so without seeming abrupt or rude was always the challenge she faced.

Dramyrth, ever-present throughout, began sticking closer to his beloved, settling gently on the small of her back so as to better guard her. Though he felt no true malevolence towards the others, he stared harshly, expressionlessly at them, as if trying to send a silent signal to them all - his beloved was exhausted, and he wasn't about to let everyone in the herd have their share of her when she was already spread too thin across herself ( and, more importantly, him ).

rambly, somewhat pointless reply is rambly and pointless xDD
Amaris is pretty worn out (timeline of this thread is just after she was burned by the fire-cheetah) and won't be able to contribute much more to conversation, but will post at least once more before bowing out ^^

@Akumi @Yael
Amaris
drákos istoría
Dagwanoenyent Stock | whimzi
on deviantart
I like being tagged!

Small smiles and alert ears seem to be all she gets, and Yael wonders if she’s overstepped the boundaries. Mothering (for that’s how it may have come out, instead of a dialogue) comes naturally, unbidden even when it is unwanted and uncalled for. Their relationship is in its infancy, and the golden woman would hate to either offend Amaris or cause discomfort by discussing personal issues. And yet, she does not draw away from Yael’s touch. She has the urge to unfurl her wings and draw the larger mare in, coddling The Philosopher close like she has many before, throwing a multitude of soft, warm feathers like a protective cape around her shoulders.

The dragonmare reminds her of several of her children, all rolled into one: Mikhael, Gaza, and Eliora. Serious, but kind, loving, and loyal. Brave, too.

She doesn’t offer a hug -  not this time, but perhaps another will come soon. A glance at the champagne woman’s eyes tells Yael all that she needs to know, her own suppressed weariness unabashedly staring back at her. Of course! How did she not recognize it before? The thrill of hearing about a key part of the Edge must have triggered some adrenaline reserve - and if so, Yael knows that she will surely pay for it later in a sudden crash.

“Oh, she says quietly. “I’m sorry, You must be eksausted... “ And here Yael is, chatting her ear off and asking inane questions. For shame! A third voice calls out to them, a young, dark unicorn hails them as her fellow philosophers and Yael remembers her from the summoning before she can mention it. She offers the newcomer a gentle smile. “Of course, Akumee. Xello again... I’m Yael.” Her romanesque head dips in a bit of embarrassment. “I’m afraid you caught us at ze tail end of a long day, dear. Xow are you findeeng ze Edge?” She doesn’t want to be rude, but she’s also fairly certain that her body can only take so much smoking (literally) before it has to rest - and she can’t imagine Amaris’s scratches are feeling particularly good either. But it would be most discourteous to send Akumi away, and besides - she knows how hard it is to be new here. Friends aren’t always easy to come by.

Yael

a lover of the light

@Amaris  @Akumi  
Maybe one more each? Sorry I keep holding this thread up :/

Exhaustion tugged at her, slowing her steps and fogging her vision. Dramyrth, perched atop her withers, grumbled incoherently, pleading silently with her to hold on, guiding her with his sharper senses and uninjured body and mind. The dragonmare stood, mostly unchanged outwardly except perhaps for the slight lowering of her tiara, the slump of her shoulders, as she unhurriedly gave in to the fatigue.

"Forgive me," she said, even as Yael enquired after the other mare present. She was spent, her energy gone, her mind focussing now only on finding her resting spot, the one beneath a rocky outcropping, surrounded by the largest, oldest trees in the Edge - the one her parents used to sleep in. Yael could see the exhaustion upon her, the golden mare would understand, Amaris knew, but she was still conscious enough to feel guilt at cutting Akumi off, at not having the energy to focus and continue on their conversation - it is what it is, Dramyrth murmured to her, comforting her, they will understand.

The dragonmare nodded absently to his words, uncaring that the motion had the potential to look very odd as the others could not hear what he said to her. "I must retire - until next time, Akumi, Yael," she managed to bow her head slightly to each, though she did wince as the pain of her wounds pinched and pulled at her flesh uncomfortably.

With that, her golden hide turned, still glowing, still burning where the cheetah's flames had touched her, though at least now she did not leave a path of silver droplets in her wake. As she was swallowed by the mists, she wondered what she looked like to those whose company she departed; did she look similar to the very magic she could summon, a fading dragon-soul in the fog?

Sorry for skipping you Rose, but I don't like leaving threads unfinished ^^
Amaris out C:

@Akumi @Yael
Amaris
drákos istoría
Dagwanoenyent Stock | whimzi
on deviantart
I like being tagged!