the Rift

STRANGER in a STRANGE land

Vermillion Posts: 42
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 14.3 :: 7
Guess
[OOC: Fancy schmancy table coming soon :P]

Helovia...

Vermillion had been born to a land not terribly unlike Helovia, a land called Isilme. He had heard whispers as members of his parents herd fled, that the land to which they would now call home was

Helovia.

But really, it wasn't so different. The youngster was still alone. Vermillion walked steadily, his leonine tail flicking every so often, to the beat of his thoughts. He was a Uniquine, although by looking at him, he looked like a full-blooded unicorn, quite unlike his twin brother

Solomon

The youngster thought of his brother, and sighed deeply, feeling a tremendous weight wash over him. Solomon was almost surely dead. Vermillion no longer felt the life-blood of his twin pulsing like a dull throb anymore - he hadn't for some time. He had never been far enough away from his sibling, to discover if perhaps distance could also have this effect, thus he could only conclude that he was dead. A pitiful snarl graced his soft coltish muzzle, but only momentarily. He felt an overwhelming urge to simply give up; he was too young to deal with the idea of losing his family, and starting over. His life had only just begun, hell, he didn't even really have a personality worked out, much less a game plan for life.

The cream palomino walked on, not really taking in his surroundings, just walking. Would anyone here know him? Did he look like his mother or father? Julius or Armada? He could scarcely remember their faces anymore, and could remember no-one from his previous home.
Please tag Vermillion in all posts !

"it is when we are most lost
we find our truest friends "
                   - Snow White

Torasin Posts: 132
Deceased
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 8
imi

TORASIN

At what speed must I live, to be able to see you again?

Kiba watched the palomino boy from a tree, perched whilst idly eating the last morsels of a poor mammal who happened to cross his path at the wrong time. The bones crunching between sharp fangs as he devoured it, the dragon now entirely focussed on the newcomer. The horn. The tail. But no. Something else lurked in this ones blood and the dragon puzzled over it until he gave up on the matter and decided he was a unicorn for convenience sake. A dragons senses were an incredible tool but hardly useful when examining a creature with four hooves. Instead he sent a mental call to his bonded and remained perched in his tree.

Straanger ahead.

His speech was still short and babyish but it was enough for Torasin to pick up into a prancing trot and head off to greet a new face to the land. Each movement guided by the position of his dragon until he eventually picked up the scent and emerged into the presence of the young stallion.

Green pools took in the moping palomino and concern replaced the happy expression. "Is there something I can do for you, Sir? I don't wish to pry but you look like you could do with a rest" his stance was sympathetic. It saddened him to see one so young devoid of joy.

Torasin looked about and spotted the brown who watched with intense concentration from his vantage point. His scaly head flicking from side to side wondering whether to stay or fly down. The paint looked at the gilded lad before him and back at Kiba, a word uttered in silent communication made the decision for the anticipating dragon.

Stay.

Hidden Account
Guess

As Torasin's prancing form came into view, a cold dread washed over Vermillion. He uneasily looked around, eyes suddenly wide and alert. AMBUSH, his niave mind thought at once. Nostrils flaring, Vermillion looked around, and, seeing no one else in the vicinity, immediately concluded that he must be safe.

What an idiot.

The youngster nervously awaited Torasin's approach, tail twitching anxiously. It would have served him right, if someone much less kind than Torasin, was the one to find him. While the dragon was cunningly out of sight, a much wiser creature might still have scented him - and yet Vermillion's mind had immediately gone to AMBUSH!!!, and all too quickly dismissed it. We know that Torasin is probably not a threat, but Vermillion certainly doesn't.

The little colt regarded Torasin with such obvious relief, he was practically gushing. "Is this Helovia? Have I found it?"he asked nervously, his voice boyish and uncertain. Then, with a touch of hestirical hope, that only the very young posses, he asked "Have you seen my brother? Solomon? We're twins" Poor Vermillion. He cared not about his condition, which Torasin had pointed out, was looking rather tired, but clung desperately to pathetic and hopeless vision of him coming to Helovia, to being welcomed, and re-united with his brother.

He looked to Torasin with a lost and sad gaze, having already reached a level of maturity that he was hardening himself for rejection, even if only in the back of his mind.

- Snow White

Deceased
imi

TORASIN

Torasin's smile was vibrant as the creamy form of Vermillion spoke, his boyish tones enquiring after the land in which he now stood. The paint looked at him, intrigued that he obviously already knew about Helovia before he got here. Not many appeared with prior knowledge and it made him wonder if he too was from Isilme. It had been a year since he had fled that place and it surprised him that others were still fleeing. That was, if this boy was from the old land.

He mentioned a twin. A familiar picture of his two boys entered his mind, Abel and Nym. Torasin had not heard from them in a while and Kiba sent him the odd updates on them whilst he hunted. The brown always did have a keen sense of family and liked to keep an eye on the troublesome pair. He gave Vermillion an apologetic expression, the name Solomon did not strike a cord in his memory but the paint kept his voice optimistic when he answered. "Yes, this is Helovia. I do apologize, your brothers name doesn't sound familiar. If you need help finding him I can try and help you, Sir."

His small speech was honest and rang sincere. There was something innocent and inspiring about the young steed that Torasin couldn't help but offer his help. It also worried him that another like Vermillion might be wondering around Helovia on his own, at least his sons had each other. "I'm Torasin, Sir, and I hail from the Worlds Edge herd. I offer our lands as a home should you need somewhere to return to." The paint flicked his mane and smiled, each word gentle like he was handling something fragile.

Kiba trilled from the tree above and flew down to land smartly on the white splashed rump of his bonded. Looking timidly around a mass of pale mane, contemplating saying his own hello. Instead he almost purred in curiosity, golden eyes wide and watching.

Hidden Account
Guess

...doesn't sound familiar...

Although Vermillion had subconsciously steeled himself against the almost inevitable rejection, hearing Torasin state that Solomon was not here, was almost unbearable. The little colts' knees wobbled together as his balance became unsteady. Stars, momentarily flashed before his eyes, as his vision began to blur. The plan had always been, to meet here. If anything happened, they were to come to Helovia! But...

"He doesn't have a horn!" Vermillion suddenly gasped, as if that was the missing piece which would surely put everything into place. Yes of course! Solomon, while identical to Vermillion, didn't.have.a.horn! Then, with resignation as the world's harsh reality filtered in, the little uniquine shook his head, "I guess you would still have known who I meant..." His voice trailed off, dejectedly.

Vermillion listened half-heartidly as Torasin offered him a home. Obviously he would accept - firstly, he was a naive youngling, secondly, where else was he going to go? Just as he was about to accept, Torasin's all-too-kind offer, he nearly jumped out of his skin: At first, Vermillion wasn't really sure what he was seeing. Was it a bug? No..lizard? Bird? Vermillion, never having seen a dragon before, couldn't quite place what Kiba was, and watched dumbfounded as he glided down from the tree. His entire body tensed up as the dragon landed onto Torasin's back. Eyes wide with alarm, Vermillion completely forgot all about how he was going to thank Torasin and accept his offer into the Edge - instead, his little brain was trying desperately to figure out what was going on here.

"Uhhh..." Vermillion clumsily began, "What umm...that..uh...."

- Snow White

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali

Courage, Loyalty, Honor</style>
  there's a brotherhood between us. if you're not ready to give up   everything you've already lost.</style>

"Hello." The mare's voice preceded her as she moved to step out of the shadow of the trees and stand with the two stallions. Her crimson eyes found Torasin ands he gave the paint stud a once over and a slight nod of her head before her attention was given to the young unicorn that was supposed to be the center of attention. A childish growl and grunt sounded from somewhere behind the mare and moments later a bear cub was thrown into the mix. He settled himself down at Ktulu's hooves and looked up at the brown dragon sitting in the branches, a mixture of excitement and curiosity shining in his dark eyes.

"You'll find many odd things in Helovia." She said. "There are those without horns and there are those that have wings and even fewer who have wings and horns." He'd best get used to the shocks he was going to be facing. Not everyone would be kind or would take well to gawking over what they had or didn't have.

Ktulu shifted her weight so she could rest a hind hoof on its tip as she continued to gaze at the colt. "I am Ktulu." A subtle motion was giving to the bear cub sitting next to her. "And he is Eytan. We do not hail from any herd, though what Torasin here as failed to tell you is that there are two other herds you could join along with numerous other groups. My sister and I lead one of the groups. We call ourselves the Grey and should you be interested in joining us we would be grateful to have you."

CREDITS

Icon by Tay

Deceased
imi

TORASIN

Be gentle.

Torasin softly spoke to his dragon as he watched the young Vermillion stumble over his words. Kiba tightly folded his wings and sat back on his bonded's rump, trying his utmost to control his curiosity. The paint smiled faintly and turned his head in the direction of the new voice. She was dark furred with white mane and a spiralled horn, her intriguing tribal marking becoming more relevant when a bear cub sat himself by the mare's hooves. Torasin watched them both curiously and returned her greeting with a polite nod, Kiba already hopping around on his gilded back chirping a series of colourful trills to the bear cub below. "Pleasure to meet you, Ma'am."

Ktulu, who looked the same if not younger than Vermillion, had continued on in her speech. Eytan was her bonded and an introduction was given to a group that Torasin had never heard of. It seemed there was for more going on than he knew although the fact didn't surprise him greatly. With the scent she carried and judging by the same red tipped horn, the paint guessed her sister must be Ophelia, having met her briefly in the past.

Grey lips parted as he spoke, kind courteous vocals giving voice to an apology "Forgive me. I did not mean to lead you astray, our land is simply closer and my main concern was your weariness." Green pools echoed this worry, he was not trying to trick him into the World's Edge as he feared the pale steed may discern from Ktulu's wording. Torasin's heart was as golden as his pelt.

"My offer still stands though, if you ever need some help finding your twin." A sweet smile played around his maw.

Hidden Account
Guess

As if seeing a dragon for the first time wasn't enough, at Ktulu's approach, Vermillion was reminded once again how unobservant he was. Having a horse sneak up on him was one thing - but a Unicorn and a bear?! Albeit a cub but....still. He had a lot to learn.

Vermillion listened with growing unease as Ktulu introduced herself and the cub, and referenced not only other herds, but also other...sanctions? Is that what they were? Not 5 minutes ago, Vermillion had been ready to follow Torasin off - had the dragon not interrupted him - but now it seemed he had options.

He looked back and forth between the mare with a bear, and the stallion with the dragon. The mare looked about his age, perhaps even slightly younger, but it was clear that she had far surpassed Vermillion in terms of common sense knowledge of the world. He felt lost, and suddenly so small. He didn't know what to do! This was...this was what parents were for! Right? He closed his eyes and shook his head, causing bits of mane to fall in front of his eyes. Torasin seemed so...so...trustworthy, in a way that the mare did not. She seemed...hard. And protective, but not of him. And he was too young to know how to win a warrior's heart towards his cause. Still...he had to try. Straightening, he looked with a level gaze towards Ktulu;

"I am Vermillion. I came to Helovia seeking my twin, Solomon. And my parents...if they are still alive. Armada and Julius. Does any of this sound familiar to you?" Any sign of anxiety that he was feeling, was not present in his voice. Not when he spoke of his family. That was why he was here, and in that, there was no uncertainty.

- Snow White

there's a brotherhood between us. if you're not ready to give up   everything you've already lost.</style>

The chirps and trills from the dragon had Eytan wriggling with barely contained excitement. The dark mare sighed and looked down at the bear cub as he finally rose and moved from her side and toward the paint stallion and his dragon. She watched protectively over the cub as he rose onto his hind legs and sniffed and snorted at the dragon before growling in a playful manner. He dropped back down to all fours and raced under Torasin and appeared on his other side then continued to move in an awkward mixture of hops, a shuffling run, and finally rolling through the snow.

Ktulu could not watch the bear cub forever, so she looked back at Vermillion as he began to speak. Armada and Julius? Solomon. "Armada is familiar." She said thoughtfully. "I think I remember my father speaking of her. When we lived in Isilme my parents lead the Moonlit Tides." She explained. "If I remember correctly he gave your mother and hers sanctuary on our beach, but I'm afraid Julius and Solomon do not sound familiar."

She knew how Vermillion felt to be separated from his parents and his brother. She and Ophelia had been separated when Nyra had stolen her and invaded the Tides. Only a few short days later they were separated from their parents when the shades invaded and began killing everyone. "My sister and I lead a band of outcasts. We call ourselves The Grey. We fight for those who cannot fight for themselves in return for small payments. We also have a section of our group dedicated to medicine and intelligence. Should you join us you would be welcome and we would be happy to help you search for your family." Ktulu then turned her head to Torasin and nodded. "If I am not mistaken in what I've been hearing you are a healer, yes?"

CREDITS

Icon by Tay

Deceased
imi

TORASIN

Torasin watched as dragon and bear played with each other. Kiba now hopping along the ground with curious chirps and playfully poking the cub with his tail. It was a sight the paint would remember for a while, happy that his bonded was having so much fun. The dragons joyous mood affecting his gilded partner. Ears twitched and swivelled as talk resumed and the youth before him spoke of old memories. Torasin only recognizing the old herd land of Paladin the Valiant, he had of course fought on those beaches supporting the great warrior unicorn. Ktulu seemed more in the know then himself and the paint wished he could offer more to help the pale Vermillion. With the black femme's greater knowledge, maybe it would be better if he went with her.

He listened intently to the description she gave of The Grey and found it rather agreeable. It was an interesting goal they had set and one Torasin could see working affectively, he wondered who was in the medicinal side and if he knew them. If he didn't he most certainly wanted to, the exchange of healer knowledge was vital in the paints mind. He stored that bit of information away and addressed the question Ktulu had laid before him. "You are correct, ma'am, that is the profession I chose. As I know you are the twin sister of Ophelia and the daughter of Paladin the Valiant and Soliel the Virtuous, Lady Ktulu." He smiled. It was a more subtle way of telling her he had met others of her family and was a friend, if a distant one at that. He had fought in aid of her father after all.

It was then he glanced once at his playing dragon and sighed. "Maybe this worthy band would be your better option, Vermillion. They seem better suited to the task of finding your lost family and they appear to have a cause more suited to your situation." It really was counterproductive. He was supposed to be bringing in more members but his heart was too great and full of love for him to deceive and squabble over such a desperate child. Instead he trusted the information of Ktulu and did what he thought was right and honourable.

[ooc; Sorry! I'm trying to reply as quick as I can, but please skip over me if you want it to go faster <3]

Hidden Account
Guess

Had Vermillion been older, more worldly, he would have been able to name the emotion which now pulled terribly at his heartstrings - gratitude. Torasin was making a sacrifice to better Vermillion, letting a possible recruit 'get away', as it were. Vermillion's wide childs'-eyes looked at Torasin, full of appreciation. He no longer needed to chose between the two, the choice had been made for him, and for that, he had no words. He was too young to even think of slighting an elder, and refusing a request would have done just that.

Vermillion nodded subtly towards Torasin, barely being able to contain his excitement as Ktulu's words rang in his mind; Armada is familiar ! He barely heard her explanation of The Grey and what they stood for. The only thing that his little mind could absorb was that if he joined them, they would help him. His leonine tail flicked with anticipation, as he gazed adoringly at Ktulu, who seemed to know so much. He felt a certain safety in her presence - perhaps it was that she already stood a great deal taller than he, or perhaps subconsciously, he sensed that they were both hybrids and shared some primal bond. Whatever it was, it was soothing.

Looking towards Torasin, he again nodded, "Thank you for your kindness...I will do as you suggest" Now that doe-y eyed gaze turned to Ktulu, "I will do whatever I need to, to find my brother." He tried to stand tall, to puff his chest out as much as he could. If he had any sort of potential or worth to The Grey, he couldn't see it. But if they could help him find Solomon...well, there would be nothing he wouldn't do, to repay that debt.

- Snow White

Eytan grunted and growled in a playful manner as the dragon poked and prodded him with its tail. Finally the little bear cub had had enough and pounced at the brown dragon, fully intent on knocking him down into the snow and pinning him there like he did with the silver dragon, Tinek. Ktulu glanced down at the bear briefly, sending him a mental signal to be gentle. She didn't think it would go over well if Eytan hurt the dragon even if it was an accident.

"And you are correct, Sir." Ktulu flashed a very quick grin at the painted stallion. She vaguely remembered seeing him on the shores of the Tides before she had been whisked away to safety when Nyra's band attacked their home. "I believe I remember you fought for the Tides. Thank you." Even though their home had been lost she held a bit of gratitude for the stallion. "Should you need aid seek us out in the Deep Forest."

Her attention then returned fully to Vermillion. "You are free to roam Helovia to your heart's content, but you choose to join a herd your services to us will no longer be required." Her voice had become a touch more stern than it had been when she was conversing with Torasin. "If you come along we can begin searching for your brother."

ooc:// patience grasshopper o:

CREDITS

Icon by Tay