the Rift

[OPEN] Would you light my Candle?

Yael Posts: 186
World's Edge Seer atk: 7.5 | def: 11 | dam: 2.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.2 :: 39 - appears 8 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zani :: Serval :: None Astor

yael

More than pleased that Alysanne thinks her search for knowledge is fine and noble quest to embark on, the still smoking, gold-and-silver mare slips out of The Edge on quiet hooves. This is something that is part private, part public, but the first place Yael wants to study is the Heart Caves. Lead there by Erthe in the spring, she’d read the story of Xelovia’s creation, but she has no idea about the vast amount of craziness that has happened since then. What she does have a hunch about is that everything has been very exciting (or kaotic, depending on personal experience) for Xelovia since its inception. B’kanna was like that, though it was very much… mortal driven.

She’s not sure which type of activity is better: Gods who do not care to meditate on personal flaws, or mortals who think themselves Gods?

Yael is chronically ashamed to even admit to the ghosts that haunt her dreams, to those who tell no more tales, that she was part of the latter.

No more. Let her now be part of the solution.

Moving at a brisk canter, silver-white mane and tail streaming behind her, the pegasus quickly passes from the Iron Gate to the Meadow, and then to the ever-burning fire that marks the path down to the caves. Sweating from the summer’s heat, even she, lover of the season that she is, is glad for the rush of coolness that comes with the underground. Her hooves slide a bit on the unusually slippery surface, but they are quick to gain traction again and Yael enters into a large, dark(ish) room. After a moment’s hesitation, she remembers the path Erthe took and follows the imaginary pale girl into a side room - one that glows with a red-orange light that casts an amber flare to her golden fur.

Ah, yes. Here is the story again. Let’s take a second look.

trust your heart if the seas catch fire

live by love, though the stars walk backwards

Image © littlewillow-art

@Mesec  and any. Yael is here to learn about past Helovian events! If you have a story, throw it at her :)

Please only tag in starter posts, or if the thread is getting dusty
Force and magic allowed, no death please

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah

It was still strange for Mesec to return to the caves after all of Helovia’s population - at least those that had been unaffected by the monstrous disease - had lived down here. The caves were too quiet now, the silver-lined stallion kept expecting to turn a corner and see herds of horses milling about and interacting as they waited for the day when it was safe to return to the surface.

Down here, though it was dark, his silver markings did not glow and provide him with any extra light to see by. The little stars on Lyra’s nose did glow - for which Mesec was thankful. Even with the warm glow of the Heart through the walls, the small kitsune was easy to lose in the shadows. She was intensely curious about everything down here - it was all new.

Though she was itching to go deep within the caves, Mesec didn’t have an intention of wandering away from the fire-glow on this visit.

He entered the cavern with the wall of history and was surprised that he wasn’t alone - a mare he recognized from around the Edge was standing there. Although he was intending to say hello anyway, his silver eyes caught on something that startled him into calling out from his spot by the entrance. “Hey! Are you alright?” His silver eyes flicker to the face of the golden mare but drift back towards the part of her that was smoking as though she were about to burst into flames. There was a well nearby… but either she did not notice the smoke yet or it was not causing her any harm.

you'll always be a part of me

artwork by mbpanther

@Yael
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

yael

For the second time in several days, Yael is met with with the same question, Are you alright? - and for a moment, she forgets the smoke and is quite puzzled. But even as the gray puffs waft before her eyes, she coughs slightly and fans the air in front of her with black wing tips and turns the cough into a chuckle. “Oh, yes! Just some side eefects of mageec… I t’ink eet vill be gone soon.” Her features turn into a ‘yechhh’ face, and she tries to end optimistically, “At least, I xope so.”

In the dim light, she recognizes the winged stallion and his star-like coat, though she cannot place a name. He is the other Glazier, the one who is not Gaal. He’s a familiar form around the Edge, and she’s almost sure that a couple of younger residents have similar coloring… though like in B’kanna, colors and markings run rampant in Helovia. She would not think it unusual for several unrelated beings to have similar coats and markings. And he’s accompanied by an adorable little kitsune! Her head tilts a little to the left as she regards the pair - this is the perfect opportunity to begin her personal little quest - for here is one she knows nothing about, one she knows only peripherally, and seems old enough to have acquired some stories. And to top it off, he seems kind. There’s no use in asking a grouch.

“You’re a member of ze Edge, yes? I xaf seen you before. I am Yael.” A demure smile creeps across her lips, and with a dainty dip of her romanesque head, she turns her gaze and nose back to the wall she’d been so studiously staring at. “Do you t’ink you’d be villing to xelp me vit a very beeg task?”

Image © littlewillow-art

@Mesec

Fortunately, the (literally) smoking mare did not seem to be in any danger of bursting into flames at that moment - she chuckled and explained that it was the side effects of some magic. That was something Mesec, after living his life in Helovia, very much understood. “Ah, a run in with a strange creature then? You’re right, it should fade away soon.” Mesec smiled, hoping to be at least a little encouraging. It was a frequent enough occurrence in Helovia to come across something odd - whether they were offering magic, a companion, or something else entirely. Most of these meetings passed without anything happening but there was always those few that needed to impart some temporary gift.

She had the most curious accent - he had certainly met his fair share of those from other lands outside Helovia but he didn’t think he knew anyone that spoke quite like her. Lyra inched closer, sniffing with her small dark nose and absolutely dying to get the chance to greet this golden mare, while Mesec grinned easier when she recognized him from the Edge and introduced herself. “Yes, I’m one of the glaziers - Mesec. It’s nice to finally meet you, Yael.” When she turned back to the wall he moved forward so that he was standing beside her - looking up at the wall as well. He remembered standing almost in this exact same spot with Maren when she asked him questions about the gods and the history of Helovia and wondered if this golden mare would have a similar request. At least she had asked him whether he was a member of the Edge, and not if the Moon was his mother - so this was already off to a better start.

His silver gaze scanned the wall for a short moment before he turned his head to focus his attention more on Yael. “I’m certainly up for that - what is it you need help with?”

artwork by mbpanther

yael

Sometimes Yael puts two and two together rather quickly; other times she’s just so absent-minded and entirely focused on something else. She doesn’t even think to ask Mesec if the Moon is his mother, probably because she can’t imagine the Goddess ever birthing someone, being maternal, or just… you know, doing normal mortal things. The Gods are easier to imagine, for whatever reason, though to be honest she doesn’t know which Xelovian could possibly be descendants aside from Isopia. Nevermind that she’s already met two of them. The daughter of the Earth sticks out the most in the golden woman’s mind for multiple reasons (most of them good, but not all), and she’d learned a few things from keen listening.

Such as, Helovians are attached to their Gods, but the subject of godly lineage is… touchy at times. A source of both pride and consternation. And one that he need not discuss with Yael quite yet.

She grins – wide and radiant when he confirms her question. “Yes! Of course! I saw you vit Gaal.” Her gaze travels from his silver eyes to the snuffling kitsune, then back to the stallion, playing the epitome of a hostess (though this far more his space than hers), “And who is this lovely little lady?” she inquires, reaching down again to extend her velveteen nose, should the companion want to investigate further. After a moment, she turns back to the wall and when she settles back in to looking at the story engraved on the wall, a very intense, scrutinizing look sneaks into her countenance. “Vell… zis I understand, zis creation storee. But vhy xere, xeeden een ze dark, below ze ground? Eef ze Gods seek vorship, vhy not place eet somevhere all can see?” On a roll now, she should leave it at the first questions, but the thoughts pile on and like a train, she cannot be stopped. “Xow long ago vas zis, vhy deed ze Spark not stay?”

What made him come back? The Basin is his now - but what was the world like then? Yael seems almost child-like in that moment, in her eagerness to know, to learn, to absorb and fill herself up with something that might begin to leave her feeling less empty.  

Image © littlewillow-art

@Mesec

Lyra, as always, was utterly delighted to be included in the conversation - and her slow approach turns to a full-body wiggle of delight when Yael lowered her golden nose to greet her. The young kitsune danced forward - sniffing at the air curiously as she got closer, learning the scent of the mare. Her small dark nose pressed lightly to that of Yael’s if the mare would let her, followed by a quick lick, before Lyra sat down nearby. Mesec had seen her act like this a few times before - it seemed to always be with mares and it was his young companion’s way of showing her she approved of them.

Mesec just shook his head with a smile and introduced her while she gazed up at Yael with bright violet eyes. “This is Lyra.”

Then her questions - his smile brightened when they started rolling out - one after the other. “Well, these caves were discovered, or created I’m not quite sure if they had always been present, when the population of Helovia had to hide down here to avoid a sickness that had spread across the land - that was turning friends and herd-mates into terrible wraiths. So there was once a time when many faces would look upon this wall a day.” Mesec paused then, looking upon the wall and remembering when these caverns were crowded with hundreds waiting for a time when they could return to the sunlight. “Perhaps they put it down here to remind us of their presence during that dark time.”

The God of the Spark was perhaps the one that Mesec knew the least about - and he felt like much of Helovia felt the same way (and, surely, that was how the god wanted it). But he would try to answer Yael’s questions as best as he could - his voice showing a little of his uncertainty. “I actually don’t know how long ago this was… not very long, I think. The God of the Spark… he doesn’t usually stick around. He’s also the guardian of time, and I’m not sure it works the same way for him as it does for us. Not nearly so linear. I don’t know for sure why he left, but I imagine he had other places to visit. And back then, the herd in the Basin did not exist - so the other gods had a herd devoted to them that tethered them here in Helovia while he didn’t.”

artwork by mbpanther

@Yael