the Rift

[PRIVATE] The longer I run

Isopia the Mountain That Knows Posts: 780
Dragon's Throat Apostle atk: 6.5 | def: 10 | dam: 8.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: 3 - is now aging slowly HP: 90 | Buff: NUMB
Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd
Isopia
barefoot on a summer's night

Hubris grins a toothy smile at the red, but is careful to hold the now burning stick upright so that the flame can continue to burn only the top portion. Isopia will need the fire to stay alight for a good deal of time to complete her quest and this detour was not in their original plan. Still, like Verzes, Hubris is glad to see the two giants trying to repair the damage between them.

"No, he didn't say anything. Other than that he needed to leave the Falls to keep a better eye on things." Her voice was uncharacteristically bitter, but only for a second. "But..." And now she turned a golden eye towards Volterra, as if about to reveal a secret, "...I don't think we're getting the full story. I mean, I know we usually don't but...this time it feels different. The Gods have never sent one of us away before, but you've just said Aithniel is now gone. And there was the day on the beach...The goddess joined Kisamoa. Er, Kaos. She had to know, didn't she?" The mare's quad-horned skull shook, as if hoping that enough shaking would fit these facts together in her mind.

"Kisamoa did lie to us, but we all lie." These last words came out harder, but softer, and Isopia's gaze fell away from Volterra. Though it wasn't clear if she was thinking of the lies he had told her, or the ones she had told him. "It seems like we are supposed to hate him, and yet...I think he may be right about some things. I think our hatred is...perhaps hasty."

Image Credits

@Volterra

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

They begin to walk, and the beast's legs seem to just remember how to alter his stride to fit her own. The ear nearest to Isopia remains pivoted towards her to catch her words, whilst the opposite one alternates between pointing forwards and to the side, a habit he's recently picked up on whilst patrolling the Throat's borders to give him advanced warning of any potential threats. Whilst living as an outcast he'd been guilty of tunnel vision, of blundering blindly forwards safe in the knowledge that no predator could get the better of him if he didn't want it to. Now he's Sultan, though, he needs to remain focused at all times, because whilst predators may give him a wide berth, they do not afford the same luxury to the herd's foals or weaker members. The dragons normally do their part, but right now Vadir is too busy pretending to ignore what's going on beneath her, and Vérzés is too busy grinning like a Cheshire cat to be a great deal of help.

The Mountain explains that she doesn't think the mortals are being offered the full story, and Volterra's frown deepens. "It is a mystery, indeed. To me, it seems that either the Goddess must have known Kisamoa's intentions and joined him regardless, or she too was duped by him. Both options are equally alarming." What's worse - genuine or chosen ignorance?

Isopia's conviction that we all lie earns a brief, absentminded shake of the head from Volterra. "Not all of us...at least not intentionally." The words slip free without his bidding, barely louder than a whisper. The Indomitable has always abhorred lying, and, indeed, is quite terrible at it, yet hadn't he lied by omission by not telling the Mountain about his other lovers and children? Of course, he'd only found out about the existence of the children shortly before they slept together and it hadn't seemed like the ideal time to broach the topic, but that's little excuse.

His head snaps around to stare at her as she considers the fact that their hatred towards Kaos may be unfounded. Volterra's about to disagree strongly - he's guilty of seeing the world in black and white, either you're evil or you're not, ignoring the shades of grey despite the fact he lives in those hues. He is the perfect example of a man capable of great deeds but also cruel ones, a man versed in the art of war but who can also hold a woman close to his massive chest and make the world around them vanish until they're the only two left. The same hooves that can cleave skulls in half have been lifted gently so his children can poke around underneath them and tug playfully on the thick feathers; dismissing the shades of grey, then, dismisses the very notion of Volterra himself. Yet giving Kaos the benefit of the doubt....after what he'd done, it seems rather unfair.

But, he reminds himself, isn't Kaos the result of the slayed Rift Gods? "Every part of me wants to hate him. He earned our trust then threw it back in our faces; I'd have almost preferred it if he'd have simply marched in and rained fire upon us, rather than masquerading as our friend before revealing himself as our enemy. But I can't help thinking that Kaos only exists because we slaughtered the Rift Gods - he is the physical manifestation of our sins come back to haunt us." He shakes his great head and sighs. "It will become clearer once Kaos makes his next move, I'm sure. At least, I hope so....I prefer my opponents to be obvious." A small, humourless snort is given.

THE INDOMITABLE

I'M A WHISPER LOST UPON WIND, I'M THE EMBER THAT'LL BURN YOU DOWN
I'M THE WATER THAT'LL DROWN YOU, I'M THE STAR THAT'S JUST A BLACK HOLE NOW
image: naia-art

@Isopia

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd
Isopia

"I don't think she was duped. It doesn't strike me as likely." Iso replied. Out of all of the Gods, it was only to the Goddess that Isopia resolutely offered her confidence. She might not always agree with the deity, but the thought that she acted impulsively or could be so easily tricked did not cohere with what Isopia knew of her. The male gods, she thought, all had their flaws. They were too kind, too proud, too uncaring. But the Goddess? If nothing else, she seemed to be focused upon Helovia in a way that her siblings just weren't.

Deciding to ignore Volterra's comments about telling lies, Isopia merely shrugged her slender shoulders noncommittally, causing her cape to flutter in loose crimson waves down her back. Without the emotional pull of her memories, it was easy to let his disagreement drift off of her. After all, if what she wanted (did she though?) was to be his friend again (or more?), then the best course of action was to leave the past in the past.

"Did he reveal himself as our enemy? He lied, that's certainly true. But as you've said, he's only here because of what our Gods did. They massacred his various... incarnations ? And now he has decided to take up residence here. That only seems fair, given that we are responsible for the destruction of his home. I suppose time will tell.."

As they lumbered through, eventually the now mostly hidden pathway to Isopia's clearing became more obvious. The familiar trail struck a chord in Isopia's mind as her memories of this place and all that it once meant to her, came flooding back. Abruptly stopping, Isopia stared ahead, her large golden eyes fixed on the place where, just shortly ahead of them, the trees would break to reveal the spot Isopia had once made her home.

Image Credits

@Volterra

Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

He, too, thinks it unlikely that the Moon Goddess was fooled so easily by Kaos. Volterra confesses to not knowing a great deal about the only female deity, which is a damned shame given his general love of marekind and inadvertent fetish for women in power, but he's gathered enough about her to deduce that she seems to be an intelligent sort. She certainly doesn't seem as though she could be ensnared into Kaos' trap as easily as the vast majority of Helovians had been.

That leaves the second and possibly most alarming option - that she was fully aware of Kaos' intentions and helped him anyway. Volterra supposes that she has a history of going against the rest of the Gods, thinking of the stories he's been told of her little murder spree that resulted in the conception of the Mountain next to him. Ironic, isn't it, that he has an unknown, secretive dark Goddess to thank for the creation of possibly the most important influence on his life?

"Time will tell indeed," comes his reply, not having anything else to add to what the giantess has already said. The closer they get to the Falls, the more the beast finds himself unable to think of anything else but Isopia next to him and the weight of their history that seems to be resting heavily upon his shoulders. The Falls smells different, now. Back when she'd lead him here the first time, it had smelled of warmth and protection, of power and family and earthen strength. Now, it just smells empty. Desolate, barren, although just as beautiful as it had been that day when the yearling Volterra followed Isopia through the undergrowth and felt his first odd frisson of something in her presence.

Automatically, the Indomitable slips behind her, as he'd done that day. It seems only right to defer to her and to follow her lead as she takes him towards this important inner sanctum of hers - he's not, of course, banking on her suddenly stopping. He gives a startled grunt, unable to stop himself from probably walking straight into her (magnificent) backside. "Sorry," is his rumbled apology, shifting to the side and out of her way....not before he's granted with a series of mental images from the last time he was behind her. As he hurriedly moves before any more images can produce a visible effect on his body, he can't help but wonder whether she's remembering the same thing.

He glances over to her, quickly ridding his mind of such debauchery. Now is not the time to dwell on such things - it's time to focus fully on the child they're going to see. "Is something wrong?" he questions, wondering if returning to this place has been harder than she'd anticipated.

THE INDOMITABLE

@Isopia

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]

Isopia

Volterra's bulk pushes her forward a few steps, for despite her height advantage, the Indomitable is much bulkier than she. On long and nimble legs she turns instinctively around to face him as an apology falls from his lips, but she barely hears it. Instead she hears her blood rushing in her ears and feels the heat on her cheeks that the swell of blood has brought. Whether it's from the surge of memories or his proximity - or both - she can't tell, but nor does she really try to.

Is something wrong?

Everything, she wants to say, but instead of opening her mouth, her golden eyes merely shine with the threat of tears. Isopia has wanted to remember in the past, but not like this. Now she doesn't just want to remember, but she wants to feel something again. Looking into Volterra's ruby stare, standing as close as they are, she wants to remember how it felt to be at his side the day of the forest fire. The way his wet shoulders felt pressed against hers the first time they tried her hottub. That she didn't only made the gulf inside of her body feel that much more enormous and that much more empty.  

"It's just.." She began, the words feebly dying as she stared into his eyes. "...been a while." since I've been here? Since you've touched me? Since we've had eye contact for this long? "Come on." Her eyes swung low as her body skirts around. She can't bear to look at him any longer, disgusted that there are tears in her eyes that her heart no longer understands. She hates her body for remembering what her mind no longer does.

As Isopia pushes through the trees which have grown over the edge of the clearing, she walks without pause to the small grave. There are a small mound of stones that pulse warmly with magic she placed in them so many seasons ago. On top of it is the rock statue Volterra had made, covered in the blood of one of the rift gods. It is still a bright bizarre red, despite the days that have passed since she placed it here.

Without looking to Volterra, she says, "I gave birth to him right here. And then buried him immediately after." Her voice sounds far away, and uncharacteristically sad, even though it is level.

Image Credits

@Volterra

Her words cause that gaping, Isopia-shaped chasm in his chest to grow even wider, and he inclines his head in silent understanding. Volterra is no mind-reader, but he'd be willing to bet most of his possessions on the fact that she's thinking about their past and all the things they've been through together. How could she not, when they're staring at the place where one of their most important early meetings happened? It was in Isopia's clearing that Volterra first realised he felt more towards the giantess than just platonic amiability, and when he first felt the adolescent pangs of lust that grew tangled with something deeper and infinitely more meaningful. The same might not apply to her, but....how could she not feel something upon looking at this place? Especially now it holds the added pain of being the burial ground for their child.

Tentatively, the stallion reaches out his muzzle and tries to touch it gently to her shoulder. It's aimed to reassure, to tell her that he understands, but Volterra is unsure whether he can convey so much with a simple touch. The old Isopia would surely have understood what he was trying to silently say, yet the new Isopia might just think that he's trying to take advantage of her nostalgia in order to cop a feel. He hopes not; the touch is meant to transcend sexuality, although that's hard to portray when everything about Volterra screams salacious intent. So he withdraws his muzzle hoping that he's not cause her to think anything untoward, and follows her beckons with an eager, if nervous, stride.

He follows her, feeling the thorns snag at his feathered feet and thick black flesh just like they had during his first time here. Back then, there'd been a lot less of him for the thorns to grab hold of - he'd been a broad, bulky yearling, but now he's fully-grown and brawny from his chosen lifestyle of battle. The brambles seem to know that he's in a hurry to follow the Mountain, and snatch against his skin all the more. He pins his ears and barges through, trying to ignore the multiple, stinging cuts engraved into him. It's as though the clearing itself is telling him to leave; earthen magic, perhaps, or just a painful coincidence?

Finally, he breaks through the thicket and into the clearing itself. His eyes are immediately drawn to the mound of stones, which pulse gently with something he assumes is magic. On top of it - and his heart lurches - is the statue that he'd made for them both. "You kept it," he murmurs, his voice far softer than seems possible for one of his size. It means more to him than he can put into words that she'd kept his creation - when she'd flown off with it, he'd assumed that she had crushed it beneath her hooves in a voodoo ceremony, or cast it into the sea in the depths of her despair. Instead, she'd kept it...and that surely means something. Doesn't it?

He doesn't remember it being so brightly red, though, and frowns at it. It looks like blood, yet what blood could last so long? Deciding he'd rather not know the answer, Volterra follows her deeper into the clearing, his eyes never leaving the small grave. His ears flick towards the mare as she speaks, informing him that she'd given birth right here. The beast tries not to think of an alternative reality in which he'd have been beside her during the long, painful labour, and where he'd have watched with happy, awestruck eyes as their son took his first tentative steps upon Helovian soil. There would have been a delightful irony to watching something they'd created frolic joyously around the clearing where they'd once created something else, a hot-tub made of rock and stone. Their son would have gazed upon both of his parents and felt safe, knowing that he was loved, adored, protected. Wanted. The only stones in the centre of the clearing would have been placed there for the boy to play upon, not laid down to mark his grave.

Volterra's eyes are suddenly stinging, and he blinks hard. He averts his gaze from both Isopia and the pile of stones, but he can't stop his mind from focusing on that beautiful other world. If he'd have been honest, upfront...if he'd have found out about his other children sooner and raised them properly as he does now...then that alternative world could have been reality. As it is, there's nothing under that mound of rocks but rotting bones, and there's nothing to tie Isopia and Volterra together aside from shared memories that one of them hardly even remembers properly.

The giant sighs, his sadness there for all to see. He wears his heart on his sleeve, and there's little use hiding how he feels. He ambles towards the mound of stones, sniffing around it as though he'll be able to smell his son upon them, all the time trying not to unleash the tears that burn behind his eyes. "Aludj jól, a kis király," he murmurs to the stones in his mother tongue, soft enough that he's not sure whether Isopia will be able to hear. There's a sober silence upon the clearing, a sombre weight, almost. His dragons are utterly silent, mourning alongside him and offering their mental strength to him as he gazes at his child's final resting place.

He moves away, then, back towards the Mountain. His face is schooled into a mask, but there's still sorrow in those haunting ruby eyes. "It's probably a stupid question, I don't even know why I'm asking, but...did you name him?" It feels even stupider as he says it - why would a mother who'd purposefully aborted her child then name the dead fetus? But he needs to know - needs the security of knowing that, perhaps, his boy was granted a name, that one great vestige of life, before he was committed to the cold ground in death.

THE INDOMITABLE

aludj jól, a kis király = sleep well, little king

suddenly, essay o.o @Isopia

Isopia

At first, she isn't really sure what she expects of him. Part of her is worried that he'll say or do the wrong thing, and ruin whatever 'moment' this has the potential to become. However just as those fears begin to creep up into the back of her throat like a cold breeze, they are suddenly gone. Although Volterra doesn't have the best history of doing the right thing when it comes to Isopia, today he gets it exactly right.

"Of course." She whispers, her breath raspy and reedy. "I thought he should have it ... even if I only had the one.."

Isopia finds his tears oddly enduring and she wishes as though she could stop time, pull his nose from the ground, and study his emotions. He feels the things she should be, and perhaps if she could steal away his tears, she'd be able to steal away his emotions too and set things back on the track they were once on. But instead, she simply watches, feeling her heart beat faster in her chest as her throat began to tighten. The words he speaks are foreign, and her ears strain for a moment to understand them before recalling that Volterra speaks another language. It was one of the things that so drew her to him in their early days. She remembers that now. He knew things that she didn't, and that made him so interesting to her. Look at him now; he still knows things that she does not.

His weighty crimson gaze almost feels like a wet blanket as it finds her own uncertain stare. Part of her wonders if they'll fight again, but she doubts it. Isopia isn't the best at reading emotions, but now, she thinks Volterra is only sad for what they have lost. Fighting won't fix things now. They already tried that.

"I did." She says, eyes brightening for a moment, then growing sullen and dull. Perhaps she should have asked Volterra for his input? But at the time, it didn't seem necessary. Now though, it seems strange that she should be telling him their son's name, after all this time. "Kókkino thanátou." The demigoddess whispers, the words falling eloquently from her dark lips. "It means red death." For a moment she looks towards Verzes, thinking red death and the crimson dragon's name were oddly fitting together, then looked back to Volterra. "He was dark, but not black, with beautiful red eyes. The earth glowed green where he fell, and I thought...I thought maybe.." Her breath hitched, and Isopia's normally emotionless death-masked face twisted with regret. "But he was gone. Whatever magic he had dimmed immediately."

As she swallowed down the sob rising in her throat, she looked to Volterra and wanted to shrug her shoulders, but found them to be shaking such that she couldn't. Although it was warm out, Isopia's slender body vibrated as her mind tried to reconcile the vast pit of nothingness in her stomach, with the things that she had done.

Image Credits

@Volterra hnnggg wat even

When he'd thought Vezér was dead, the beast's utter hatred of her would-be killer had overwhelmed everything else. It had helped him channel his grief into action, by killing Airlia and claiming vengeance for the murdered girl with the strength of his body and loathing in his heart. Of course Vezér hadn't actually been dead, but Volterra remembers those emotions clearly, with such clarity that they could have happened yesterday.

This time is different. He's got nothing to channel his emotions into, because the death of this child is down to a number of different factors rather than just one villainous bitch of a mare like last time. Without the ability to do something, Volterra feels helpless, and there's no way he can dam the tide of grief that pours upon him. There's no hatred or anger for him to lose himself in - there's only the gaping abyss of sorrow, and there's no escaping it. Sadness clouds his face as he stares at the grave, his thoughts lost in the image of his son.

Kókkino thanátou. It almost sounds like a name he'd have conjured up in his language, and when Isopia explains it he can't help but look to Vérzés because of the connection between them. As names go it's rather odd, yet seems to fit, somehow. The giantess continues, explaining the boy's colouring. Dark, with his father's eyes but something similar to his mother's magic. The beast's stomach feels as though it twists, and his head bows with the weight of the grief pressed upon it. "He is with the stars now," Volterra murmurs. In truth, the beast is cynical - he believes that death is the end, that there's no afterlife or ability for the dead to watch over their living loved ones. He can't bring himself to think that his son is accompanied by nothing but darkness, though, so comforts himself instead with the image that he's among the stars, beaming proudly at the reunion of his parents.

Isopia looks at him, and he looks back. He steps to the side, his massive head seeking to rest softly, sadly upon her withers, an embrace of shared mourning. Whether she will accept the touch remains to be seen, but Volterra wants the comfort of her warmth as much as he's keen to offer it with his own.

THE INDOMITABLE

@Isopia

Isopia

"Do you believe that?" She responds almost immediately, although her words sound more rhetorical than anything. She certainly doesn't, and for some reason, she can't believe that Volterra, the serial polygamist and warlord would believe so either. That their son might be with the stars sounds like something her own Father might say (though likely not to her, because she'd just scoff). But it was that sort of soft and flowery imagery that she just couldn't believe was true. Then again, she'd long ago been confused about souls and where and how they were in this world, and so perhaps she was wrong.

As he moved to her side, no part of her wants to move away. With her body already remembering his touch and her mind fighting to piece together the things she should be feeling, she almost welcomes his embrace. Perhaps it will help close the chasm inside of herself. Or if not, perhaps it will be slightly filled.

She can feel his whiskers first, as if he had paused to let them tickle her skin before proceeding, or if time had somehow stopped for a moment. More likely, she was simply hypersensitive to physical affection based on who was giving it and how long it had been since their bodies had been together like this. A shockwave rocketed out from her skin, but instead of the pulsing heat that his embrace had once inspired, she felt a chilly and prickling flash of white shoot through her. It was anticipation intermingled with this newness that her lack of memories had caused.

Her own skull twisted around, and although it should have been easy for her to rest her own chin upon his back, she found that it wasn't. Isopia wasn't angry at him anymore, and yet the feeling of not being special because of how many others there were, seemed to create a physical wall between her body and his. She remembered telling him to do as he pleased, even if that meant bedding many. The Mountain could even recall his justifications for being the way that he was. And out of anyone, Isopia would seemingly be the last one to care about such a social construct as monogamy.

And yet...

"I"m sorry this is the first I've told you about this. About him." She murmured to the muscular onyx table that was his back, unable to bring herself to relax her cheek upon it, though relishing the feeling of his skin against hers just the same.

Image Credits

@Volterra

He isn't surprised when Isopia questions him. She is a clever woman, and he's sure that she thinks it something akin to naive stupidity to believe in an afterlife. "No," comes his reply, swift and brutally honest. "But I want to. I want to believe he's in a better place, that he's happy." He gives her a sidelong glance. In truth, the alternative is deeply disturbing. What if it does just turn black? What if you just...cease to exist? Volterra rarely contemplates death, and when he does he's more concerned about inflicting it than suffering it, but he would be lying if he said that he didn't sometimes wonder... He does not fear it, but he is in no hurry to find out for himself what happens after. "Don't you?" For a rational, logical mare like the Mountain, she probably believes in the simple facts - that your body feeds others, and that's all there is to it. That's an admirable way to look at it, if a tad daunting.

She does not return his touch, but nor does she reject it. That is enough, for now. Once upon a time Volterra would have read into her lack of a returning gesture, but he knows how new this must be for her. It's new for him, too - it's been so long since they touched intentionally, not the inadvertent brushing of skin that comes from walking close together. Even during their fight, their physical contact was minimal. The last time they truly allowed their sensitive muzzles to roam across each other's flesh was that day in the meadow, and the memories return afresh to bombard Volterra's mind. With a ferocity that surprises even him, he forces them aside. Now is really, really not the time for that. Not when the result of the last time they did that lies rotting in the ground a few feet away, a stark reminder that impulsions like these should be resisted else untold suffering will be caused.

That's hard for a man like Volterra, though, and it always has been. He lives off his rash decisions, exists in the heat of the moment and all the pleasure it brings. Spontaneity is a big part of his life, but age and maturity has taught him that sometimes he must fight against his selfish instincts and do what is right rather than what feels good. Now is one of those times. Now, as much as he wants to let the touch linger, to try and fill the Mountain's mind with the same thoughts that currently plague his own, he doesn't. He gently withdraws his muzzle, although he keeps his bulk close enough to her that he can still feel the heat of her body.

Her apology surprises him, and it takes him a couple of seconds to compose himself and think of a suitable reply. This is the first time they've spoken about this, and again Volterra thinks that this is a pivotal moment between them. How he responds could prove either beneficial or catastrophic to their relationship, and that's why he considers his reply carefully. "I understand," he rumbles, and he does. There was never the right time, what with everything that happened after their son's conception. The beast shifts, then, turning to face her directly and seeking to look her straight in the eye. He is about to be open and completely honest, kill or cure, and the vast white expanse of his face and crimson clearness of his eyes should hopefully reassure her that no lie will leave his lips.

"Kis hollo, I am sorry too. Not for bedding the other women, because that would be saying that I regret the existence of my children, and I certainly do not. I should, however, have been more open with you about my activities, and should also have been far more responsible for the foals I'd sired." The stallion had sort of assumed that he'd given Isopia a clear enough idea of his attitude to monogamy during that conversation they'd had a Hubris' hatching, when he'd admitted the lusts in his body and his comparison of them to hunger. "You must understand, though, that to me sex is as natural a function as eating, drinking, breathing. That is not to say that I do not value it, but I do not see it as something that should be restricted. As you know, I do not believe in monogamy, but polygamy only works when a man can adequately care for the mothers and raise the children properly. I will admit that I did not do that correctly, although that's a mistake I've worked hard to remedy. His voice is always level, calm, kind, almost soothing. Volterra will not grovel, beg for forgiveness or admit fault where he believes there is none to be had, but he is man enough to own up to his mistakes and admit them freely. He has worked hard to amend them, and he only hopes that Isopia will appreciate his honesty rather than condemning him for it.

"That brings me back to you. Kis hollo, never think for a moment that you are not special to me. I...do not possess the words to explain how special you are to me. You will never be just one of a number, and nor would our son have been." The boy would not have been favoured above the others, but he'd have been loved more than he could ever understand. He'd have been cherished, valued, protected, raised by adoring and powerful parents and groomed to greatness. "Ön a szívem, kis hollo." You are my heart, little raven.

THE INDOMITABLE

@Isopia

Isopia

He pulls away from her, and she feels disappointed. The feeling both makes her feel good and bad all at the same time. Bad, because of course disappointment is never a good feeling, and yet it does make her feel good, because it's an acknowledgement from deep inside of herself that somehow she does still want him, in some capacity.

And in that moment as his body breaks from hers, a heat rushed through her, and she knows what sort of want this is. At this moment anyways.

Immediately as he speaks about bedding other women, she feels metaphorical things inside of her close and grow cold. Exhaling, she straightens slightly, turning to face him, her golden eyes a mask of academic disinterest.

She knows what he is saying is true. She knows that she should not fault him for it, and her academic mind at least, does not. But in her body she wants to change him. She wants to be the thing that is enough for him, that somehow swamps his masculine instincts with so much sheer body and sexuality that he simply cannot handle others. She wants the other mares to dwindle in his presence when compared with the thought of her, sending him running back to her and her long thighs. At these uncharacterstic thoughts, Isopia can feel herself blush slightly with guilt and embarrassment. She is not the sexual predator who could accomplish those things with Volterra. She is just hardly more than a virgin, and Volterra is the only one to have ever been with her. She is nothing that he has not had before and there is nothing that she knows that can be the overwhelming force that she wants to be to him.

The only thing she could do, would to be the cool one. The one that was cool with polygamy. That was what Volterra probably wanted from her. To have his cake and eat it to, and to have her be okay with that. Isopia nibbles her lip, wanting to be that girl, but knowing that she never could. Even the thought of it sparked jealousy inside of her normally catatonic soul.

She could pretend...could pretend to be okay with special, but for now long? She'd broken so quickly the last time ... would this really be any different?

Now it was her turn to keep secrets.

"I understand." Isopia begins, long eyelashes fluttering. She is still slightly distracted by the heat wafting off of his body towards hers, and she desperately wants to press her body against his now to quell the itching sensation she feels at the places just out of his reach. "Before .. it was just such a surprise. We'd spoke about .. how you are, but we were so young. I ... I met so many of your children in such short succession, and then Aithniel. It was too much at the time. But we are both older now. Wiser hopefully-"  The Mountain allowed herself a small but playful smile. "So how many children do you have?" She concluded, forcing her voice to be light. To be cool.

Be the cool girl. Be the girl he wants.
Because in that moment, all she seemed to want was to be wanted by him.

Image Credits

@Volterra

One of Volterra's greatest flaws is the fact there's an innate selfishness running through his blood. Combined with his greed, it creates a man that thinks he can bend the world to his will and reap whatever he likes from it. It creates a man that thinks he can have a harem of women and as long as he chooses one favourite, she and the others will be alright with that, will be content with their lot in life. He is a man that thinks giving Isopia his heart is enough, even though his body is shared around the many broads that he calls his.

It never crosses his mind that she won't be okay with that. In his simplistic, primitive brain, he thinks that as long as he shows her that she's favoured above all the others, she will happily accept that and force aside her desire to be the one and only. He thinks that, clever woman that she is, she will understand the natural order of things - that a stallion has a harem, that monogamy is as unnatural to him as growing a set of fins instead of hooves. Wishful thinking, yes. Utterly selfish, definitely.

But that is what Volterra is. He isn't perfect - he's as far from perfect as it's possible to be. He's also, in his own way, rather gullible, so when Isopia proclaims that she understands, his face breaks out into a great, happy smile of relief. The beast is not a liar, and thus he's utterly hopeless at detecting it in other people. He takes the Mountain's words at face value, and he finds the tension in his muscles seeping away like water cascading down a rock. He shifts closer, wanting to press his body to her again, to hold that warm skin of hers against his own and feel the familiar shape of her. They are older now, yes. Wiser? Perhaps not Volterra, although he tries to be. He's learned from his mistakes, but that doesn't mean he's not prone to making more.

Her question concerns him, and he blinks several times as he contemplates how best to answer. She might be shocked and revolted at his current total, yet there's no way he's going to lie - he just isn't capable. "Nine," he rumbles. He tries to make his voice sound sheepish, almost ashamed, but it simply sounds proud. Not because he has so many, but because he loves each and every one like they're his only one, and dotes on them unconditionally. "There's Kid and Sabre, my twins. Zhu, who is a man in his own right now, and Astarot, one of my healers in the Throat. There's Tyrath - he can shift into a dragon, you know." He beams at Isopia, hoping that this common ground between her and Tyrath will make her dislike the boy less because of his status as Aithniel's son. The smile doesn't quite reach his eyes, which remain rather anxious as he contemplates the Mountain's reaction.

"Then there's Valdis," and here his face clouds slightly, his ears darting momentarily backwards as he thinks of his little crippled girl. "She was attacked shortly after her birth, and badly maimed. I won't hear a word said against her, though." His voice is fierce, as though daring anybody to call his precious Valdis a cripple or a weakling. "Vezér and Victorina too. Both of their mothers are dead...raising them alone is challenging, but I do my best." Then he looks over to the grave, his voice softening, his expression folding with sorrow. "And there's Kókkino thanátou, loved as much as the others."

THE INDOMITABLE

@Isopia

Isopia

Nine

The number is so staggering that it leaves her breathless, and a bittervoice in her mind wants to suggest that his title should be changed to sperm sprinkler or I'll show you how fertile I am. Spit dries up in her throat, but she forces her quad-horned skull to nod easily and carelessly, like oh, nine. Of course. Nine, that's not many at all. Nine, that's hardly even an army. Nine is nothing. Nine is... She forces herself to stop. Or rather, it is the name of their son on his lips that ceases her mental rant.

"Good." She agrees, allowing the warmth from his body to console the coldness creeping through her bones.

"My Father knows that he is buried here ... I think even though he has left the Falls, he won't let anything disturb this grave. Though I do check on it every now and then." She looks down at the small figurine, smiling almost sadly, wishing that the Volterra-counterpart was there as well.

"I should go. As Seer of the Edge, I plan to speak with the Goddess tonight about Kaos ... if I learn anything, I"ll tell you. But I should return back to the cliffs before it gets too dark." Isopia can't offer a goodbye. It feels to final and formal. So instead she reaches out her nose to gently bump his shoulder, as she has seen friends do to one another. It feels contrived, but even so, she relishes the feeling of his solid shoulder against her, if only for a moment.

Figured that be a good ending? <3

Image Credits