the Rift

[OPEN] got some sand to spare? [Edge Herd Quest]

Amaris Posts: 299
World's Edge Philosopher atk: 5.5 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16h :: 4 years HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Dramyrth :: Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Frost Breath Whit
amaris
dragonborn
The desert that had once been her home, years ago, was her destination once more, though for vastly different, unusual reasons this time. They want to build a temple, she mused to her beloved little king, to worship a great deity, or to appease one who had smote the realm just how many times before? It was a curious gesture, one that Amaris wasn't sure she fully agreed with, but for the sake of the herd (and her desire to prove herself worthy of being a part of said herd again), she would do what she could to help everyone achieve their desired goal. The Moon Goddess was, at least, honest about her dishonesty, crude and cruel but never denying that fact; one knew what they were worshipping when they chose the Goddess as their patron: a lady of darkness and wind, as unpredictable as the weather she controlled, as devious as the shadows she lived in.

Being home was nice, if she was being honest. She had not felt so settled, so established in a realm for a long time - though the sandy land she was approaching was the closest she had come to in the past. I was even a healer there, a 'Sun Physician', blessed with the Lord of Light's powers of healing, she narrated to her beloved, her little king, as they walked across the changing terrain with a convoy of Edgelings not far behind. Dramyrth knew vaguely of his bonded's past, having shared her mind, her heart, her soul for long enough to have sifted and learned what he could from her memories and recollections. But intricate, unique details such as this he was ignorant to, and cherished when his bonded deigned to speak of them. I was a terrible healer, it wasn't the first time she had called herself that, unsuited for the rank and responsibility, her thoughts seemed to fade, to darken, as she was reminded of the time she stepped down, and eventually left the herd - she had followed her cousin, her beloved Tandavi, to the wilds, to find themselves and each other again.

But times were more uncertain now, as Volterra himself had told her when she came to the Throat upon her return to the lands of Helovia. He had offered her a place in his realm again, he and Ampere, the Sultan and Sultana - she wondered if they would be hurt, offended or otherwise displeased that she had chosen her own path, a journey separate to the ones they were walking. Would they reject her request for assistance today, her abject aim to ask to intrude upon their lands and take something from their majestic Diviner's flame? Would they simply turn her away, deny her passage? She hoped she knew both Volterra and Ampere better than that; she hoped they would understand that she had to follow her heart, her family, she had to carve her own way in this path and at this point, it did not include being a part of their herd.

What are you doing? Amaris asked, pleased for the distraction as her companion flew higher and higher still, a strange determination filling him. Preparing, was all he offered by way of explanation, though the dragonmare picked up echoes of memories of a 'great battle' fought the last time they arrived on the sandy shores of the Throat between he and Volterra's golden queen, Vadir. With a knowing grin, Amaris merely shook her head softly, before coming to a smooth halt upon the mainland border of the Dragon's Throat. She didn't wait long before announcing herself, a colourful tune that she hoped hid whatever underlying anxiety she held close to her heart, a song that was neither completely equine nor dragon in tone.

ooc: Amaris is here to catch up with @Volterra and anyone else who would like to greet them, she comes with some Edgers seeking some ash from the Diviner's fire for their herd quest!
@Iona

sky above me — earth below me
and fire within me
No need to mirror my post length - I have a horrible case of the rambly writer syndrome!
I like being tagged!
You are always welcome to 'try' and use force/magic on Amaris, but similar to spar posts, leave it to me to decide how the damage is taken please~

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

"He's back."

Vadir's voice is a cold, crisp symphony in the giant's mind, causing him to jerk up his head from his grazing. What? Confusion taints his handsome features as he looks upwards, higher and higher until he can just make out the golden queen circling in the clear blue sky. Even when she's this far away, she is massive, her bulk unrivalled and her body a gleaming mass of gold that reflects the sunlight until she appears like a gem in the heavens. She is the Indomitable's pride and joy, yet she also possesses as many flaws as he does - her great sense of entitlement, vanity and arrogance, to name just three.

"HIM." The warlord is granted an image of Amaris' golden bonded, and the realistion causes him to unleash a mental ahh. The joy of meeting with Amaris again had been somewhat tainted by Vadir's inelegant slam into the ground, courtesy of the fact neither she nor Dramyrth had wanted to back down from their duel for royal dominance. It seems golden pride isn't specifically a trait of Vadir's - it's a curse of everybody of her unique scale colour. The queen had mercifully avoided any broken bones, although she'd obtained so many painful bruises that she hadn't been able to fly properly for days.

None of this has dented her desire to be the ultimate gold; if anything, it's only enhanced it. Of the golds in Helovia, Vadir has already asserted her authority over Babel, and the young male seems to have accepted his place readily. This has earnt him her favour, bordering on her obsession. She does not acknowledge the existence of Abraham's companion, because any gold that willingly bonds to a man who has sullied his mind with a white runt is unworthy of being recognised as a sister of hers. That leaves Dramyrth, and Vadir has taken his fightback as a personal affront. He might be large and devilishly handsome, but he is a male and he needs to learn his place. If he is to be seen as a suitable mate for a queen like herself, then he must achieve a mixture of deference to her yet defiance to all others. He must submit when she demands it yet display his strength and worthiness as a sire; this may seem like a contradiction, but queens like Vadir want mates that can exhibit raw golden power whilst also respectfully accepting their place as second-class citizens compared to females. That, after all, is why they are made smaller.

Only once a male has achieved that tricky combination will Vadir consider acknowledging him as an equal. Breeding is not on her mind yet, but crafting Dramyrth into her vision of perfection just in case certainly is. Volterra doesn't bother trying to stop her as she barges determinedly forwards, knowing that any attempt to prevent her actions will be utterly futile. That's another of her flaws, probably gained from him - bull-headed stubbornness.

The titan moves swiftly behind his golden queen, keen to keep an eye on her and meet up with Amaris again. His stride is a fluid canter, hardly affected by the considerable heat - he's used to it now, his body grown hardy by these difficult living conditions. Vérzés rides on his back, his claws dug deeply into thick flesh to anchor himself against his bonded's stride, his long red tail blowing in the wind as he screeches his pleasure. Amaris is second only to Isopia in his eyes for none-Volterra horses that he likes, and he especially adores when she generates dragon-spirits for him to speak to.

Volterra is soon in front of the dragonmare, a broad grin upon his handsome muzzle. "To what do I owe the pleasure again, Amaris?" he questions, realising for the first time that she is not alone. He glances politely at her travelling companions, a question in his eyes as he looks between them.

In the skies, Vadir searches for her quarry. "Why he fly so high?" she wonders, more to herself than to Volterra. Concerned that hunting down Dramyrth may lead her into a trap, the queen unleashes a blast of flame and thunder, calling him down to her. Round two of their battle beckons, and this time she's determined that the ground won't ruin their splendid duel.

THE INDOMITABLE

I'M A WHISPER LOST UPON WIND, I'M THE EMBER THAT'LL BURN YOU DOWN
I'M THE WATER THAT'LL DROWN YOU, I'M THE STAR THAT'S JUST A BLACK HOLE NOW
image: naia-art

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

amaris
dragonborn
Dramyrth was pleased with himself, smugly so. That the golden queen had not yet reached his altitude worked perfectly in his favour - that she insisted upon 'summoning' him to her amused him. He ignored her, seemingly more interested in the clouds above than the insignificant meanderings of queens below. The golden king was on high, his throne taller and clearly far more magnificent than the queen who chased him - chased him, but would never catch him, unless he allowed her to. That was why kings were smaller than their queens - they were slimmer, less bulk was present to house eggs and all those feminine things, they were wholly more muscle, strength and athleticism. That wasn't to say a queen wasn't these things as well - but kings were designed for speed, for agility, for cunning.

So Dramyrth use his so-called cunning, his wits, his 'smarts' to good use - he ignored the queen below, huffing a frosty breath every now and then so that something akin to snow might fall upon her should she fly in his shadow.

Amaris wanted both to roll her eyes at their antics and laugh a little bit - she did neither, instead choosing to act as Volterra did and focus upon the horse-folk currently present. The caramel-rimmed curvature of her nape bent into an arc as she greeted the Sultan, her tiara dipping cordially, though the deferential action was softened by the smile upon her lips and behind her molten-gold eyes. "Sultan," she purred with her draconic lilt, "the pleasure, as always, is mine." It was perhaps a bit more formal than their usual greetings - the last they had met, Amaris had been in a flux, having just returned from a journey that took her farther than intended, and every time before that had been as youths, friends. Were they still friends now?

Yes, Amaris answered the question herself, for her dragon was far too busy circling higher and higher still, uninterested in lowering his altitude (lest his beloved bonded absolutely required him to, of course). "Vérzés!" the dragonmare greeted, accentuating his name in a way only one with dragonsblood could - she reached out to the red with her golden muzzle, to share a warm breath of air to him in greeting (or touch briefly should he desire). "I have a new trick to show you," she said softly to the little (compared to the royals, though he certainly was large for a red) crimson drake, before she shut her eyes in concentration a moment - and then, all around her burst forth five dragon-spirits, two red males and three green females, all singing a colourful chorus and dancing about them all. "Oops," Amaris said as she stepped back, seemingly remembering herself. "Sorry, I've been wanting to show Vérzés - he's always the happiest to meet the spirits I summon," she said by way of explanation, before sending all but one of the green spirits back to the otherrealm from whence they came.

"I come with news and a request, Sultan Volterra," she said, her tone more correct now, though her smile never left. "I found my cousin in the mists of the Edge - I have joined her there, though I am grateful for your offer of refuge. I - we -" (Amaris motioned to the Edgelings who followed in her wake) "- come seeking favour, or a trade if we have anything of interest to you and yours." It was only fair, was it not? Amaris herself had nothing of use to offer, though if she did, she would offer it. But the herd itself was reasonably 'wealthy' as far as its craftwares and knowledge - she hoped they could come to an agreement (or else call it a favour to be returned to the Throat in the future). "Our Goddess has granted us a task, to build her a grand temple, but to do so correctly we need certain items of significance. One of those things is ash from the Diviner's Fire - I only need enough to fill this jar." Amaris now motioned to the small glass jar that was strung around her nape, resting upon the curve of her pectorals (just below the newly formed, glowingly silver scar). "If you could find it within yourself to grant this favour, we would gladly be indebted to you, unless you know of anything we can provide to you forthwith?"

@Volterra
Edgers are still welcome to drop by (they're just NPCS for now)~

and fire within me

@Volterra tags
No need to mirror my post length - I have a horrible case of the rambly writer syndrome!
I like being tagged!
You are always welcome to 'try' and use force/magic on Amaris, but similar to spar posts, leave it to me to decide how the damage is taken please~

Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

Vadir's eyes narrow down to crimson slits as she glares at Dramyrth. How dare he not obey the queen's beckons? Unfortunately for the royal female, she's so engrossed in her own self-satisfaction and golden pride that she can often forget the fact that she's as mortal as any other dragon. Any musings on a trap are quickly forgotten in her indignation, and she unleashes another loud roar and cloud of flame. The queen's great size is hewn with thick, powerful muscle - despite Dramyrth's thoughts to the contrary, she's built for battle as much as any male. How could she not be, given that she's bonded to one of the greatest warlords to grace Helovia's surface? Despite her royal colouring, she knows Volterra would not abide a simple trophy queen, twinkling away like a gemstone but lacking any power or substance. Pretty things such as egg-bearing and grace were forgotten when Vadir was formed, and her huge bulk is knotted with raw strength that is more than a match for any member of her species. How else will she make them bow? She's not the most agile or nimble of beasts, but she doesn't need to be when she's a deadly combination of size, strength and fire.

Alas, she's also forged from prideful arrogance. She's easily goaded, as much as she likes to think that she's better than Volterra and Vérzés' red-hot tempers. The golden male's impetuous snow-shower causes her eyes to flash with frozen fury, and her next roar is so loud it threatens to shake the very ground they walk upon. Down below, the Indomitable pins his ears and glares upwards at her. Really, Vadir? He's answered with a great swing of the gold's scythed tail and another thunderous bellow.

Forgetting her vow to not rise towards him (in any sense of the word), Vadir flares her wings and launches upwards. Despite her annoyance, she's still an intelligent creature and she knows that trying to fly above Dramryth at this altitude could result in her losing oxygen. That would be most inconvenient, so instead the queen approaches from underneath this time. Flying upwards is a lot harder than flying downwards, and Vadir's powerful wings scream their protest as she forces them above and beyond what they were designed for, but simple flaps of leather aren't going to hinder a queen determined to put her subject in his place. Her jaws unfurl, and this time she releases a blast of thunder. It's harder to guide than her flame, resulting in a cloud of errant lightning that sparks in every direction, although she makes a conscious attempt to aim it towards the male's soft underbelly - the stomach, the armpits, the groin. She hopes to paralyze him with her shock breath, to slow his movements and enable her to perform what she desires.

Opening her massive forearms, Vadir seeks to slam her full bulk upwards into Dramyrth, trying to wrap around him in a death grip. Her jaws hunt for his throat - not hard enough to kill, just hard enough to hold - and she tries to barge him firmly upwards, higher into the clouds than either of them have ever been before. The higher they go, the more chance that their breathing will grow haggard on the thin air, that their limbs will become slow and sloppy - and because he's above her, Vadir hopes it will happen to him first.

With a pitying shake of his head, Volterra returns his attention to Amaris. The word Sultan poured from her tongue feels....delightful, carnal, although probably not intentionally so. Vérzés croons happily as she says his own name in that draconic way of hers, and returns her greeting with gusto. Her promise of a new trick causes him to peek eagerly over Volterra's back, watching as the air explodes into no less than five dragon-spirits. Even Volterra is impressed as he scrutinises the spirits, remembering with a smile how enamoured he'd been with them as a boy. "Beautiful," he murmurs. Vérzés screeches happily and dives among the spirits, frolicking in particular with the two reds. His voice is a chorus of chirps and grunts, speaking to them in the most primitive of dragon-tongues. "No need to apologise, Amaris. You're right, he does enjoy playing with the spirits. He doesn't get much chance to interact with other dragons...Vadir doesn't really like him, you see." There's a frown on the titan's face as he explains this. His dragons are more agreeable to each other now that they're older and more mature, but it's still far from harmonious and they squabble often.

The mare says that she's chosen to join the Edge, and a frisson of disappointment ghosts across the stallion's features. He'd truly thought that she would join the Throat, and it's painful to realise that she's chosen to go elsewhere. He tries to hide any such deep emotions, though, schooling his face into neutrality and simply nodding to the information. Amaris then reveals her reasons for being here, and it causes the warlord to quirk a brow. "I must say, the Diviner's Fire is rather popular these days." Only a few weeks ago, Isopia had come to take some for her own quest. Since he gave it to her, he supposes that it's only fair to give some to the Edge, too. "You're welcome to take some. I cannot think of anything to ask for in return, but just think of it as you owe me and the Throat a favour." He gives the dragonmare a somewhat sultry wink, trying not to think of all the favours she could provide him with. In truth, he'll consult with Ampere and see if there's anything healing or craft-related that they can ask for to benefit the whole herd, but he's still allowed to dream of what he would ask for.

"Come, it's this way."

THE INDOMITABLE

@Amaris

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]

amaris
dragonborn
Triumph surged within the beast who flew so high, excitement flooding the bond he shared with his beloved down low. The dragons' antics were hard to ignore - they made such a ruckus, with Vadir announcing her fury with thunderous calls and breath, and Dramyrth laughing heartily across the bond (and vocally above the golden queen who chased him), as he blew a sharp bullet of icy frost to take the damage the wished to wring upon his frame, feeling nothing but an air of static rise in the wake of his wingbeats. He sees her then, her glorious, strong, powerful frame rising to meet his own, and he blew a breath of fire in her face before she could reach him, before she could embrace him in her deadly clutches - he had no intention of letting her actually catch him, not this time, not when he had been so prepared for this interaction. Dramyrth learnt from his experiences, he learned well, and he clung to the lesson with fierce determination to prove himself this golden queen's equal - and nothing less.

So as the fiery breath left his scaled lips, he curved his skull upwards, his nape and entire bodice following suit, with the added flare of a powerful downbeat of his wings, so that he backflipped, spiralled up and away from the situation, neatly placing himself behind her. He didn't stop there, however - they were well high enough, even his fiery breath found little purchase in the lessened oxygen, he knew it would not provide much of a distraction, and so he acted quickly with his following actions. He pushed himself forwards again, but downwards this time, wingbeats hurrying to get him to the maximum velocity he could, before pinning close to his body, so that he became a golden bullet (a move he picked up from Vadir herself, though she had aimed her bullet-shaped self at him the last time they met). He hoped to have a headstart on her, to outrun her for as long as possible, though he was under no illusions that it would be forever. Still, the fact was, she was chasing him, and not the other way around.

Amaris did what she could to let dragons be dragons, though her concern for her beloved bonded was not helped when Volterra informed her that distaste still sullied the bond between Vérzés and Vadir. It seemed the golden queen held an extremely high opinion of herself, and a ferocious desire to ensure that all others held the same opinion. Tread with care, was all she said to her distracted king, she does not intend to lose whatever squabble you have gotten yourselves into. The true reason behind this journey returned to the forefront of her attention then, as she watched the news wash over Volterra's carefully trained expressions and heard his granting of her request. She was overjoyed, and relieved - she had not realised just how much she had worried that he would deny her, or otherwise set a price that she would not have been able to pay. A smile, true and genuine, paints itself upon her lips, the sheer joy evident upon her façade. The green spirit that fluttered nearby sung a happy little tune as it danced and twirled around them - Dramyrth would have as well had he not been distracted with, well, royal dragonly things.

"Oh, thank you!" her warm tones purr happily, as she steps forward to bump her nose against his to reinforce the depth of her gratitude. Amaris was nothing if not keen to prove her worth to her herd, and that Volterra had granted her permission to do just that meant the world to her. She followed him, flying alongside him as he summoned the magical fire-wings his key enabled him to do, landing on the opposite shore with a strange sense of déjà vu, for there was a time when she had done such things regularly, when the Throat had been her home - and it could have been her home again, had she deigned to accept his generous offer. Alas, she was a dragonmare whose current abode was her birthlands, and would remain that way into the indefinite future. Though she well knew the way to the Diviner's Flame, she allowed the Sultan to lead her small party there, accompanied by the little green spirit all the while.

Dramyrth, meanwhile, kept flying, and should Vadir follow him, and latch onto him as she was wont to do, he would allow her to, he would not fight or struggle against her grip, but instead welcome it, cling to it, wrap his tail around hers and attempt to fly with her - he wanted to show her, to prove to her his worth, that she need not take either of them to the brink of death in order to prove that she was his better - she was not, she was his equal, and that the sooner she saw this, the sooner she accepted this, the sooner they could work together to blaze a future of fiery, frosty and electric terror, the sooner they could coexist and dominate the world together. As his bonded and her equid company arrived at the holy heart of the Throat, he maintained a link with her always, but unless he was direly needed, he was otherwise preoccupied.

"I hope all else in the world of Volterra is well?" Amaris enquired, suddenly recalling the curiously large number of young colts and fillies she suspected he was the sire of, with at least one of them confirmed. It didn't bother her, for she was oblivious to such desires of reproduction - she enjoyed the company of children, she enjoyed their innocent curiosity and happily gave them whatever knowledge of the world they asked of her, but she was decidedly not a mother, having never thought of herself as one nor found a male who stirred such carnal desires to a suitable level to her. Did she think of it, at all? Perhaps, but then, she was also a golden dragon-queen, bonded to a golden dragon-king - perhaps the role was already fulfilled in all ways bar the physical duties. Perhaps her apparent asexuality was indeed caused by her bonded, her view that she need not seek out a mate, or anything like a mate, for she had everything emotionally her heart needed to fulfil that role already. While Amaris was oblivious to such things within her own perspective, she was not blind or ignorant to them occurring in those around her - and Volterra was her friend, she wanted to show her support and happiness for his situation, if indeed it was a situation he wanted to be in (though how could it not be when the act of child-making was rather a deliberate one). The dragonmare offered a small knowing smile as they walked across the sandy dunes towards the pillar of fire together, wondering at just what the Sultan would offer in response to her query.

and fire within me

@Volterra
I like being tagged!

A wave of fire comes towards her from the male's jaws, and Vadir spurts her own blast of static electricity to coat herself and sizzle away the flame with the same impunity that Dramyrth had done with her own breath. She's rising upwards like a golden eruption, her jaws open, gaping, ready to seize him, to dominate him....

Until, suddenly, he's not there anymore. The queen unleashes a roar of confusion and disgust as she twists in the air to see that he's now behind her, carried there by a lithe backflip. "!!!!!" radiates into Volterra's mind, and he can't help but smirk at Vadir's unholy fury. She always mocks him for his temper, yet here she is with steam practically coming out of her ears because her opponent is as slippery as a fish and as cunning as a cat. Despite herself, the gold is filled with a strange, albeit begrudging, admiration for Dramyrth's technique - rather than taking on the impossible task of besting her in a battle of raw strength, he uses his wits and his agility instead. He's taking things to his level, refusing to play her at her own game and instead trying to make her play at his. Clever, if irritating.

The fact is, though, that he is now running away, and Vadir takes this as a small victory. She huffs a wave of smoke into the sky, gliding down on lazy wingbeats just enough so that the air isn't as uncomfortably thin. She has no intention of chasing him; she just hovers where she is, her great bulk gleaming like a golden gem in the heavens. She is simply far too royal to chase; the higher ground (well, air) is now hers, and she's loathe to relinquish it. Let him run, let him flee, then let him come shooting back on his own time - if he wishes to be seen as equal, he'll need to come back close enough to lock claws with her, to let her test his strength and find it satisfactory. Sure, he can fly fast and can twist like a corkscrew through the skies, but that is not what Vadir's instincts are telling her to look for in a potential nest-mate.

The dragonmare bumps her nose against Volterra's, and he returns the gesture with vigour. The smell of her, the warmth of her, doesn't exactly help his already decadent thoughts, and he is forced to add an extra layer of steel to his mind to keep them out. As they walk, Amaris asks how his life is going; the beast is hardpressed to keep the grin from his face as he thinks of the distinct upturn in his fortunes of late. Not only does he have a herd to call his own, two fine dragons, strong magic and an unheard of strength upon the battlefield, he also has legions of children that he adores and dotes upon. Volterra will never be satisfied - he always strives for more - but he cannot deny that, at the moment, he is happy.

"Igen, it is." The Hungarian word for yes drifts off his tongue instinctively. "And you, Amaris? I confess that given the amount of time you were gone, I half-expected you to return with a foal at foot." The thought fills him with a surprising amount of jealousy - she is a dragonmare, and who else would be fit to mount her aside from him, dragonlord, warlord, golden-queen-bonded? None, so secretly he prays that she has no children, although none of these salacious thoughts show upon his face.

THE INDOMITABLE

@Amaris

amaris
dragonborn
The golden queen does not give change, and Dramyrth pulls out of his dive as soon as he realises. She simply hovered where he escaped her grip and lightning breath, a beacon, a drop of sunlight against the clouds above, staring down at him. But in Dramyrth's mind, that she did not give chase was as equal in reason to he not rising to her - she knew she would never be able to best him in agility, and he knew he would never best her in strength - why could she not realise that there was more ways to winning than sheer strength? That cunning and calculation and picking one's battles was a sign of intelligence, and not only that, foresight. Dramyrth respected Vadir, as she wished, but he did not see her as his better, at least, not in all things.

He thought her a bit foolish.

He gave a cry, not of outrage or offence, but simply invitation. The ball was in her court - she could accept it, and fly by his side, comrades in the air (until such a time as this changed), or she could stay atop her false perch of superiority, and add (or detract?) to the opinion Dramyrth held of her. Scale hue and gender only held so much meaning.

Besides, I have a queen-of-my-heart, Dramyrth offered dryly through the bond, as he drifted upon the air currents to catch up to where his bonded wandered. The air was different here, hotter, it rose faster and he could ride the thermals at a glide for most of his travels. Amaris smiled at his comment and his discovery of the different ways the lands affected the air above, noting softly one becomes a strong flier when one has less wind to carry them most of the time.

The dragonmare was pleased for Volterra, truly. It was difficult for her to see him as a stallion grown, as a leader, a warrior, a father. To her, she would always remember the young boy thrilled at meeting a dragonlady and her spirit friends, simply dying to know more of them. Then she remembered seeing him, grown a bit more, bonded to his red beast, ready to take on the world. And then again, she met him after he had bonded to seemingly his ultimate desire - a golden queen.

Idly, she wondered what she was, a golden dragonmare, to the stallion.

She hoped she was at least a friend to him - it was all she ever hoped of those she found herself caring for; that they cared in some small way in return about her, that they thought well of her, even if she was stolen away by timeslips or disease or her whimsical want to explore on occasion.

He confirmed that life is good for him, and she can see that it is - she tried to update her perspective of him, she knew he was so much more than the colt she first met, though she would always remember that day.

Then he mentioned foals and her in the same sentence, and the dragonmare could not help the laugh that bubbled up.

"Truly, O Indomitable one? A foal?" she said with laughter colouring her tones, lightheartedly using the moniker he had adopted since taking the mantle of Sultana. "Motherhood and I are not suited for each other," she said simply, not really wanting to go deeper than that on what was meant to be more of a political visit than anything else. "Dramyrth is enough work," she added playfully, gesturing idly to skies above where the golds went through their antics.

They were getting closer to the great Fire of the Diviner, and Amaris slowed her steps to allow the Sultan to take the lead and direct her where she could venture, wondering also if they might be attended to by the herd's current Seer - no, Diviner. "Is Maren still here?" Amaris asked a little bit abruptly, as the thought came to her. She recalled the beautiful striped mare with wings upon her poll from her time amongst the herd, and wondered if she had remained a constant in the herd during the dragonmare's untimely absence.

So much else had changed, Amaris just wanted some aspects of her life to remain the same.

and fire within me

@Volterra @Maren
I like being tagged!

The cry of invitation rings in her ears, and despite herself the golden queen is tempted. It would be so easy to give up on her hell-bent quest for domination and follow the male as equals, to relinquish her desire to be the best and be content with being the same. Must she always be so competitive, so ferocious? They could just enjoy each other's royal company and fly together without the crippling exhaustion of their ongoing battle, and Vadir can't help but wonder what that would be like.

Alas, her great pride is overwhelming. She is born to rule, to crush everything put before her just like her mammoth bonded, to rise beside her black king as his golden queen. After all, of all the males of any species, only Volterra is her true equal, and that's why she often listens to his commands where she'd willfully ignore a lesser man. He's urging her to follow Dramyrth's invite and give up on her hellbent desire to assert herself upon him - the Indomitable adores the queen's dominant side and usually encourages it, yet he's growing bored of her behaviour that is distracting him from his precious time with Amaris.

Vadir's wings twitch, her horned features twisted in an expression of great indecision as she hovers where she is, staring after Dramyrth as her body and mind wage war against each other. She's truly torn, and unleashes a frustrated blast of flame as she yo-yos between her options.

As it turns out, though, the decision is made for her. The queen is suddenly aware of wingbeats behind her, and flips her massive bulk to see what dares approach her and interrupt her musings. A loud bellow erupts from her clenched jaws as she claps eyes on the beast soaring towards her; it is a huge vulture, larger even than her, its great feathered wings so wide she wonders how it can possibly fly. She's no stranger to the Throat's resident scavengers, but they usually leave her well alone - her flame is enough to deter all but the stupidest of creatures. Indeed, this particular vulture doesn't appear intent on attacking her, and is perhaps simply minding its own business. But, like Icarus, the vulture has flown too close to the sun, meaning her, and she can see an opportunity.

She stares at Dramyrth, and this time it's her cry that is full of invitation. Hunt with me, it says in its lilting, powerful song; show me what you can do. At the end of the day, hunting is one of the most important things a dragon can do. A male must prove his ability to provide for his potential mate before she even considers engaging in the sky-dance with him, and Vadir's eyes glow with cold passion as she contemplates watching the other gold at work. This is an opportunity to put their squabbling aside and see how they work together at the expense of an unfortunate vulture; the queen turns, begins to fly after her chosen prey, her wingbeats slow as she waits for Dramyrth to catch up.

Oh, she adds to him in the form of another haunting roar; no breath. Hunting is too easy when she can immolate her prey with a single breath, so she's keen to see what the male can do without his flame. It's not long before she is above the vulture, swooping down to grab it with her claws into its wings; it screams, flapping against her iron grip and thrashing its massive beak to try and bite her. It's so big that killing it without her breaths would be a difficult task, which is where Dramyrth comes in.

Down below, Vérzés watches the events above him with evident interest. He's keen to see Vadir taken down a notch, but appreciates that is unlikely to happen, so is content to see two golds working in tandem instead. Volterra feels his red's excitement thrumming through their bond, mingling in with the raw predatory lust of Vadir. He's so distracted by these twin emotions that he almost misses Amaris' laugh and her following words. His ears flip towards her, surprised at her easy dismissal of something that is a part of life, especially a mare's life. Foal-carrying is just one of those things that they will inevitably do, in Volterra's mind anyway.

Her addition that her dragon is enough work causes him to snort an amused half-agreement, but he's not fully sure he thinks the two can be compared. "Raising a child is vastly different to raising a dragon, Amaris." With his inability to correctly articulate his point, he leaves it there; he can't put into words the differences between the two, how his dragons learned from his mind but his foals needed to be taught by his body, how there's a world between the shared consciousness of a companion and the unconditional love of a child. There's similarities, yes, but the two cannot truly be compared.

The Diviner's Fire is close, and Volterra takes the lead as he moves towards it. He dips his head in the direction of the inferno, a silent gesture of respect to the Sun God, before hearing Amaris' question. "She is, yes. I do not see her around much, but she is still the Throat's Diviner." He looks between the dragonmare and the fire. "How will you transport the flame?"

THE INDOMITABLE

The approaching beastie is a Cinereous Vulture! It's the only way I could think of to end the golden war xD @Amaris

amaris
dragonborn
Dragons, the thought kept tumbling about the dragonmare's own head, a huffed, potentially hypocritical thought that judged a species she shared blood with. They were so fickle, so stuck on their pride and ego and being the greatest - Amaris loved her Dramyrth just the way he was, with all of his damnable pride included, and she was equally proud that he possessed a brain within that golden cranium of his, though she wished he would devote some of that brainpower towards something other than impressing a golden queen, who clearly, had no time for him. But, such was the situation presented to them, she could only find amusement in it, even if she did not understand the depth of the reasons behind it, ignorant to such sexual displays of magnificence as she was.

The queen that flies high above him, makes a proclamation then, and he surges with delight at her change of heart. Was she finally beginning to recognise that their weaknesses were not weaknesses at all when they were together, that only their strengths mattered, because they balanced each other out so well? Ah - she was inviting him to prove this to her, and he gladly would comply with such a demand, for he could prove his worth to her in this task. The golden king went into hunter mode then, tracking the intruding bird with his keen gaze, watching the queen's movements and moving his own body in a similar way, but below the large bird. As the queen swooped in and pulled the vulture's attention, Dramyrth darted upwards, riding the warm currents of air to a sharp incline, using the inevitable decline of the bird's altitude as Vadir collided with it to his advantage. When he was near enough, he flipped and attached himself neatly to the bird's chest and neck, claws wrapping , meeting Vadir's around the wing joints of the great avian, teeth flashing as he used the bird's focus upon her to bite with his powerful jaws at the exposed neck, aiming to go in with an agile snap! to end the creature in one fell swoop.

He felt the bird struggle, felt its powerful muscles rebel against the assaults it was receiving, and even if his bite did not bring it a quick death, he would stay latched onto the avian until it suffocated, or Vadir had an opportunity to add her own jaws into the fray and end it once and for all.

Amaris, better able to concentrate with her beloved occupied by something seemingly more productive than simple pining over his inability to hold Volterra's golden dragon's attention for more than a few minutes at a time, studied the Sultan's reaction, silently pleased of the reaction she managed to rise out of him. "Oh, I see," she offered in response to his reply, a knowing, cheeky glint to her eye, a smirk on her lips. Dragons and children might be different to some, but for Amaris, dragons were children, or at least, they had the potential to be, when she was half-dragon and half-equine, should she mate with a dragon and not an equine, wouldn't she birth a child who was also a dragon? Ah, but that was a riddle she would pose to him another time. "I suppose you would know best, being experienced in both," it wasn't said with any tone of snarky nastiness, but an almost congratulatory acknowledgement to him and his hoard of offspring. It was a feat that Amaris admired, yet felt no desire to match, or be a part of - at least at this stage of her life.

As they approach the flame, and he tells her of Maren's lingering existence, the dragonmare offers another smile, the relief clear upon her countenance as she receives this confirmation that yes, the world may change, but some things remain constant, at least. "That's good to know," she commented idly, before recalling to the surface of her focus the true reason behind her visit. "I just need some ash," she said, bending her nape to pry the jar that hung around her neck loose, and drop it to the sand at the edge of the towering pillar of flame. "Vérzés," she purred softly, hoping to pry his attention away from the other dragons and to herself instead. "Would you mind lending your slightly more fire-proof self towards filling this jar up with some ash for me?"

and fire within me

@Volterra @Maren
I like being tagged!

He comes to hunt with her, and the queen bugles her delight. This, she has to admit, is more fun than fighting against him. This is a way for her to demonstrate her strength and superiority without needing to do so at the expense of somebody else, and it's a quite refreshing feeling inside the mind of the queen. The struggling vulture is a formidable opponent and Vadir feels her flame bubbling in the back of her throat; it is instinct to use it, but she refrains. That would be cheating. It is more enjoyable this way, drawing out the unavoidable conclusion of the raptor's death.

Dramyrth joins her, flipping and latching beneath the vulture. Sandwiched between the two great golds, the vulture shrieks and thrashes even more, yet there is a sense of inevitability about its movements. There is no way it can hope to escape, although it rages against the dying of the light with everything it has. The male's jaws snap against its neck at the same time that Vadir's do, and together they squeeze the life out of the avian until its body goes limp between them. The queen shrieks her pleasure, thrashing her scythed tail so that it accidentally chops a few of the dead bird's tail-feathers off. Then, unbidden, she releases the corpse and hopes that Dramyrth will do the same; if he does and the dead vulture is allowed to fall, then the queen will swoop with it, using the great bulk of her shoulder to try and shove it towards him. Her crimson eyes are sparkling now, her jaws twisted into a feral smile that is playful despite its menacing appearance; she's inviting him to engage in a game of dead-vulture-ball, to push the tumbling corpse between them both in an attempt to keep it off the ground for as long as possible.

Disrespecting the dead, perhaps, but nonetheless fun.

Volterra can hardly believe what he's seeing. Vadir is usually about as playful as a boulder, but here she is thrusting a corpse towards another dragon in a clear invitation to join her in something that isn't rooted in dominance, or superiority, or an attempt to prove her utter magnificence. It's almost childlike, and he can't help but wonder what's caused her change of heart. She ignores these musings; her mind is cut off from his to focus fully on her game, and he knows she's too stubborn to let him back in until she's good and ready. So he leaves her be and focuses his attention on Amaris instead, enjoying these precious moments with her that remind him so much of his childhood.

The beast takes her comment at face-value. It's true, after all. He is versed in dragons, being bonded to two including the most complex and regal of all, a golden queen (Vérzés sends a ">:[" face into his mind). He is versed in children too, with nine of his own, eight living. He takes no offense, instead swelling with pride. "You could say that." He beams, remembering a piece of news he'd wanted to tell her. "Two of my sons have recently bonded to dragons, you know. Astarot has found himself a blue, and Tyrath a red. Tyrath can also transform into a golden dragon - I cannot help but be rather jealous of that." He chuckles softly. His own transformation magic is fearsome and frightening, but it is not a dragon.

The red's ears perk at his name, and he gleefully nods his head at Amaris' request. Vérzés is nobody's slave, but he's very fond of Amaris (or, as he calls her, spirit-dragonmare) and happy to help her out. He swoops from Volterra's broad back, grabbing the jar between his dextrous fingers and flying towards the fire without a single hint of fear in his face. The flame tickles his crimson scales but he's only in the depths of it for a moment, not long enough for it to burn through and damage the skin beneath; he scoops the jar across the ash at the base of the inferno, then bursts free in a shower of sparks. Shaking bits of ash from his eyes, the dragon deposits the filled-up jar at Amaris' hooves, then returns to his bonded's withers to painstakingly groom his scales.

THE INDOMITABLE

amaris
dragonborn
The great avian falls limp as death overcomes it, and Dramyrth tilts his head back, a manic gleam in his eyes as blood trickles down his throat. He's never had a hunting partner like this before - his bondmate doesn't compare, for she was always reluctant to actually partake, and would really only ever help to scare potential prey into his path for him. This was a totally different level, it was exciting and more of a game than a need - he had never, ever hunted for fun before (and doubted whether Amaris would allow him to do so again in the future due to the vulgarity of it all), and he could not help but feel charged with a hunger, but not for food, for this queen. He released the bird when he felt its dead weight shift onto him alone, not feeling in any inclined like making a fool of himself in attempting to hold the great creature aloft, righting himself in the skies as he watches the queen's antics.

He followed soon after, adopting the arrow-like position and falling alongside them. He was surprised, but complied willingly in the vulgar game, if only to maintain the attention of this queen dragon - she wasn't trying to kill him, she was actually engaging him in an activity, he would pretty much do anything for her in this moment. Bloodlust combined with sexual lust, the dragonking became quite pliable to the whims of the queen, happily knocking the corpse between them, clutching it for a second before rolling violently to toss it back at her. You're disgusting, came the soft commentary of Amaris into his mind, but he was oblivious to it, and continued on in the disgusting game Vadir invented.

Volterra responded to her prods about his children, informing her of their draconic inclinations (she contained her surprise about learning that yet another being existed with the power to embrace a draconic body, another golden no less), and she can almost taste the pride in his tones. Idly, she wondered whether he knew the Mountain that Knows, her Seer - Amaris had no doubt that he would love her, hold her in high esteem and probably think of her as the pinnacle of all mares, with her magic and dual royal dragons no less. And again, she wondered what he even thought of herself, with her half-dragon nature and royal bond, was she worthy of his attention? But then, when she did not feel in any way inclined towards him like that, why did it matter at all?

"It would seem your admiration and affinity for dragons is hereditary," she commented, her smile a little bit nostalgic as she recalled their initial meetings where dragons were everything to the steed, everything and more.

Vérzés complied, and Amaris is grateful to the red, watching as he carefully took the jar and filled it with her requested ash, hoping that he did not come in harm's way by doing such. A joyful little noise whickered through her chest and throat as he delivered it back to her, and she blew on it a few times before picking it up and securing it to its chain around her neck once more. "Thank you!" she said happily, unable to contain the pure joy she felt as she leaned towards the red perched atop the Indomitable's withers to blow a whiskery kiss at him. She was so pleased that even as she withdrew from the red, she touched her maw gently upon Volterra's shoulder in thanks. "Truly, words cannot express my gratitude," she is a picture of happiness, with tears of joy glistening behind her golden eyes as she withdraws and looks inevitably northwest, as if she could see the very outline of her home against the horizon (though of course it is too far away to actually see).

She begins making her way back, walking as ever, accepting any escort Volterra might provide, silently farewelling the lands she once called home and felt quite attached to. Amaris was happy where she was now, there was no denying it, but she also could not deny that the Throat had once been a home to her as well - she had even held a rank here, she had made friends here, friends she still relied upon, and hoped that they felt they could rely on her in turn. "Well, I suppose I best get going," she said with a hint of wistfulness colouring her tones. "Thank you, again. Don't be a stranger to the Edge now, Sultan," she emphasised the words playfully, still at a little bit of a wonder that he, the same colt she had met all those years ago, was grown and leading a herd, while she was a plebeian, a rank-filler, contributing in menial tasks as best she could.. Ah, but it was no time to compare, no, it was time to complete this task she had set herself, to contribute, however small and insignificant, to the betterment of her herd.

ooc:
She's not gone yet, I figure one more post each and we're all done? C:
Thanks Snow!!

and fire within me

@Volterra
I like being tagged!

There's emotions rolling from Vadir into Volterra's mind that he's quite unaccustomed to feeling from her. They are emotions usually broadcast from his mind to hers, not the other way around - hunger for something other than food, desire, feral need. Lust, to put it simply. He's felt ebbings of it when she was around Babel, but Isopia's gold is still too young to be able to reciprocate. Dramyrth is different. He's old enough to entertain the salacious whims inside the dragon queen's great chest, old enough to be capable of anything that she desires from him. Their battle for dominance remains inconclusive, but the golden demoness vastly prefers this.

She catches the corpse by the neck as it's flung back at her, and to her great dismay her teeth sever its head with ease. She's left holding the bloody skull whilst the truncated body tumbles to the ground, and she folds her wings to plummet down after it. Her limbs wrap around it and tumble with it, driving it hard into the Throat's sand and landing atop it to cushion the force of her descent. With it pinned beneath her claws she takes a luxurious bite of feathered flesh, before staring up at Dramyrth in a clear invitation to dine with her. This in itself is deeply unusual, as the queen is fiercely possessive of her prey and has been known to even attack Volterra if he comes too close to it, so the stallion is almost shocked into silence as she freely offers to share with the golden male.

Maybe he doesn't know her as much as he thinks he does. She's unpredictable, and he makes up his mind to discuss these events with her once they're alone.

Amaris thanks Vérzés, and the red swoons with the attention the mare is placing upon him. As she retreats, her muzzle brushes against the Indomitable's skin - whether intentional or not he's unsure - to send shivers of primal want like a frisson of electricity through him. He smothers the sensation down, but it's hard when his mind is full of a twin emotion from Vadir, making it difficult to switch himself off when he's getting a double dose of lust. Only Vérzés remains as a paragon of calm inside his mind, and that's not something he ever thought he would associate with his dangerous red companion. "He says you're welcome," he rumbles as a way to distract himself from what he's feeling, and from how much he wishes Amaris' touches would linger that little bit longer upon him.

The dragonmare makes to take her leave, and Volterra nods. "The same to you, Amaris...and if you ever tire of the Edge, which I hope you do, you will have a place here among my ranks." The words are light-hearted, but there's an edge to them too - he would dearly love to tear her away from the Edge's grasp, to covet her here in the Throat. The idea of another herd having her makes all his monstrous masculine instincts flare into overdrive, and the idea of the Edge's stallions flashing their lecherous glances at her....ah, it makes him prepared to tear the whole world down!

Unless she says anything further, the beast will move to take his leave, dragging a reluctant Vadir with him.

THE INDOMITABLE

amaris
dragonborn
The battle of the golds seemed to have evolved into a battle of lust, bloodlust and otherlust besides. Dramyrth, at first thrilled with the surprise of the queen's change of tact, soon began accepting it with ease - for of course she would come to his way of thinking, of course she would see reason, of course she would accept him as his equal, even if that wasn't exactly what she was doing, it was a lot closer than the abject hostility she conveyed earlier. He caws a raucous laughter as the bloodied corpse departs from its head, diving with the queen to follow it to the ground, flying as closer as he dared to her great sinewy mass, barely able to contain the heat within him, wondering, hoping, praying that Vadir was feeling similar tidings, a similar rush of lust and desire, cravings for more closeness, for a demonstration of just how far the carnal urges could take them.

Dining together was perhaps an excellent first step towards all that - Dramyrth was not so foolish to think he could successfully bed her without going through whatever ritual she deigned to put him through, that he had gotten this far, he knew, was an achievement in and of itself, and he wasn't about to decline her generous offer. She took the first bite, as she was entitled to do, and he landed alongside her, close, wanting to feel her, to absently embrace her with the folds of his nearest wing, to casually entwine his tail with hers as they bent over this meal. He feasts upon the avian flesh, not because he is hungry for meat, but because he is hungry for her, but he knows he cannot feast upon her in that way yet, so he fills up on the vulture instead.

Amaris, having sensed echoes of such urges from Dramyrth before, but never quite this close or poignant, did her best to observe the feelings that flooded their bond from afar, to watch and calculate and evaluate how best to manage them. The dragonmare, filled with her own gratitude from everything that had happened today, was more familiar with the feelings of bloodlust than true lust, and so rode her bonded's determination to feast upon the flesh of the bird as a way to vent the otherwise overwhelming feelings; if anything, from the entire situation, the dragonmare simply felt like a hunt for meat on their way home (something she usually avoided doing for as long as possible, having grown more and more disgusted by her own body's desire for flesh and blood the older she got), though had she and Volterra been in a more private setting, with the mood set more definitively by hormones and seasons, perhaps the results would have been different.

The curve of the smile upon her lips deepened as the Sultan translated his bonded's gratitude, and she proffered a wink to the red dragon, genuinely fond of him, perfectly aware that even as a red, he was as able and dangerous as her beloved (though had he been less distracted, he might have interjected her thoughts, however consumed by all the different kinds of lust that he was currently, such objections remained unvoiced). Volterra spoke as he often did then, offering a jest that was laced with a deeper truth; an offer to return to the Throat, to turn her back upon the Edge and live upon the desert sands with him, alongside him - but as what? She had done that before, she had held a rank here before, and she had become overwhelmed by it swiftly. While the dragonmare did appreciate the offer he made, and knew it was given with sincerity, she could not accept it - not today, anyway.

"Until next time," was all she said in response, bowing her head to him as she spread her wings and ushered movement from her slender, strong limbs. A sharp mental note is sent to her bonded, announcing that yes, they were leaving now and no, he cannot linger behind without her until the vulture has been consumed, and yes she really is serious; Dramyrth reluctantly farewells his queen with a long song, rising from the sands with feathers still caught in his teeth, flying towards his beloved with a full belly but a throbbing desire to ignore her summons and remain. I like the Throat, he offered some time later, and the dragonmare could only laugh, her voice stolen by the wind, as they made their way home again.

ooc:
Amaris out, thanks so much Snow <33
and fire within me

@Volterra
I like being tagged!