the Rift

[PRIVATE] the savage amazons of snarky swords

Wessex Posts: 149
Aurora Basin Haruspex atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 7.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 3 HP: 68 | Buff: NOVICE
Astor
for there are many ways to kill a man they say
Jesus fucking Christ, Goddess, Gods, and all sorts of minor deities, she hurts. She hurts so much. It’s the kind of hurt you get when you use foam rollers before or after the gym, the kind of pain where lactic acid has built up so quickly that even the weakest massage is agony to used and abused muscles, that hurts so good feeling, but also I’m not going to be able to move tomorrow kind of thing. So even in the infernal heat of summer (which does not seem to penetrate the Basin as much as the rest of Helovia), Wessex seeks the Hot Springs, to soothe her battered limbs and soak herself into oblivion.

Under the cover of a cloudy night, Wessex heads for the Springs in a roundabout fashion. She’s not trying to draw attention to herself by walking directly through the middle of the Basin, but also knows that for any night owls, her glowing scars are easy to follow. The horned mare could hide herself if she wanted to and blend in with the shadows of the night, but she took her armor off awhile ago, and there is very little inclination to stretch and reach and bend herself to put it back on again. Instead, she leaves it slung across her back, looking very much like the lone survivor from some catastrophic event. But oh no, it’s just a spar. And new mutations. You know, everyday aches and pains of a woman who uses her body for a living.

When the Corporal finally reaches the Springs, she shrugs off her burden and almost falls into the steaming water. The heat is overwhelming and she grits her teeth, but once the initial scalding is over, her muscles begin to untie their knots, and she closes her eyes in bliss. A very, very satisfied sigh escapes her lips as her newly spiked tail floats to the surface.

I am Iron and I Forge Myself

@Weaver
-- please tag in all posts! --
-- magic and force allowed, no death or permanent damage --

Weaver Posts: 149
Aurora Basin Corporal atk: 8.0 | def: 10.0 | dam: 3.0
Mare :: Hybrid :: 15.1 :: 3 years HP: 61 | Buff: Novice
Raven :: Australian Raven :: Terrorize Kyra

i don't rise from the ashes, i make them.

She practically lives in the springs, but like Wessex, she basically always hurts. You get used to it, honestly, being constantly in some state of pain. There are worse thing than pain. It reminds her she’s alive, that Death really did send her back to the land of the living. There are worse pains too. She’s felt them, but touched by War and Famine and Conquest. She doesn’t want to experience that ever again. But the pain makes her stronger, harder. And she needs these things. Because she’s not built like a fucking tank like Wessex.

The envy is a real thing. The way she envy’s those ridiculous organ-skewers that Oizys calls horns, she envies everything about Wessex. Girl is built for a battlefield. She’s built to punch holes in people without even using her many, many horns. At least Weaver managed to herself some horns once upon a time, and keep them in Helovia. But still, they are largely decorative, though she does find them useful.

Weaver’s not the first to the springs tonight. The object of her envy is already there, more freaking spikes floating on the surface of the lake. Well hot damn. At least they were on the same side man. And friends, for that matter, in their weird sort of way. “Well look at you,” she says with a laugh and a nod to the spikes before slipping in, far away from that tail. In truth, as envious as she is, there’s a part of her that wouldn’t change a thing about herself. There’s a part of her that loves being the underdog, that can’t fucking wait to prove that she is anything but.

Still, sometimes it’d be nice to be a tank. It probably hurts less.

“You as beat, bruised, and sore as I am?”

I'm the whole fucking fire.

- weaver -

image credit | quote by erin van vuren

@Wessex

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by AmoretteRose

Astor
Weaver is right, one does sort of get used to being both parts of a boxing team: the puncher and the punchee. At any point in time, they could be on top of the military world, delivering a beating that would stun onlookers - the next, they’re KO’ed, dazed, and bleeding like a stuck pig. Afterwards, no matter what, is the hot springs. Keeps the muscles from permanently looking like a slinky thrown into a pen of pre-schoolers. She has to stay limber and work on her agility, her speed, and countless other things. There’s always somewhere to improve, and the only way to improve is to throw herself into the ring again and again and again.

This world of unpredictable give and take opens up a kinship that few others can understand; it’s a different sort of camaraderie when you know your life may be in another’s hand.

Weaver is… well, out of the current army options, aside from Erebos, the one Wessex trusts the most. Sane. Smart. Small, but with her wings, she could be a valuable asset to a team that’s mostly on the ground. Aaaand that’s about all she knows about her fellow Corporal, unfortunately. A sharp, barking laugh covers up whatever dismay she might be feeling at the eruption of another set of spikes, followed quickly by, “I’m beginning to feel like a fucking porcupine.” A mutant porcupine. Something that is neither wholly horse nor other beast, but the oddest still-functioning mix of both.

At Weaver’s question, however, Wessex groans her current agony. “Uuuuugggghhh, yes. Had one hell of a spar down by the Throat. You?”

Baby steps, ladies. Baby steps.

@Weaver

Weaver always has to work on everything. Except her endurance, which she works on anyway, but still. It’s the one thing she’s got. She’s built to keep going. To run on sand for hours without tiring. To climb and slip her way through the mountain passes without losing her footing. To take a punch and keep on ticking, despite the pain. She is not strong, and she never will be, regardless of her amount of training. She’s not built that way, too small and compact. She will have to make up for that with magic and items and companions and trickery. She’s not overly fast or overly agile though at least here, she is not thoroughly crushed, just mostly. These things, at least, she can change.

Their army is small and not yet an army, not entirely. That’s her fault, really, and the strange rift that exists between her and Erebos that she cannot cross. Her rough edges grating on his far softer ones. Though too, they are somewhat new to this place, both Corporals having arrived less than a year ago. They are second in command to the General, and are essentially babies in this place. So maybe it’s not all her fault. Some of it just needs time.

She trusts Wessex on the battlefield, but she knows nothing else of the mare. Just that she’s blunt and doesn’t take shit, and that’s enough for Weaver, really, but maybe they should know more. Not that Weaver’s ever been great at girl talk. “Well…” she says, with a cock of her head and a mischievous grin flashing across her face, “you kind of look like one too.” She laughs at that, laughing along and not at Wessex. Because seriously, there are worse things to be on the battlefield.

The topic turns to spars, and this they could probably talk about for days. Except Weaver hasn’t really sparred that much, but she has plenty of stories. Stories of the apocalypse, of war, of running for her life more times than she cares to count. Would anyone even believe those stories? Some of them seem too far fetched, even in a world of magic. “I got my ass handed to me by Oizys, somewhat literally.” She’s not sure if Wessex can see in the dark, but she angles slightly so the three slashes on her ass are visible. They are vile, jagged things, though the damage wasn’t life threatening. “I look forward to the day you two spar. Built similar, with some serious horns. That’ll be a good fight.”

- weaver -

@Wessex

Please tag in all posts
Image by AmoretteRose

Astor

I AM IRON AND I FORGE MYSELF

Let’s be honest – their version of ‘girl talk’ is probably more like bro talk, and is best done while soaking away aches and pains, drinking, or trying alternative drugs. They aren’t going to start talking about romantic conquests or go painting each other’s horns any time soon. Pink would really clash with Wessex’s eyes anyway… and Rikyn would definitely have something snarky to say about being feminine so… that’s a hard pass on stereotypical girl talk and feminine bonding time.

Sorry, not sorry.

At least Weaver has the balls to say Wessex looks like one, because there’s really no other way to describe her, considering that none of them have seen a dinosaur. Her laugh becomes less biting and more genuine as the warrior feels her muscles slowly untying themselves, absorbing the soothing heat and good company. See, this is how nights and camaraderie should be. Wessex makes a face when Weaver reveals her opponent. Now that youngster has potential, and she’s surprised Weaver got away with as ‘little’ as she did. The wings probably help, she surmises, but then again she has no idea if they are cumbersome, or easily damaged, or just generally get in the way. “Ah. Yes, she’s built to pummel things… I should. Kind of said I’d take her under my care when she joined and then promptly did not do that.”

Oops. A sigh.

“You’re new too, right? Thoughts on the Basin thus far?” She takes another step towards the middle, submersing herself even more. Agony now would be relief later. And Wessex may or may be a bit of a masochist – you kind of have to be, to be soldier.  It all hurts so good. The signs of actually doing shit with her life.

W E S S E X

image credit

@Weaver  
@Oizys  (if you want :) )

Weaver would definitely talk about boys, if you want some girl talk. But not in the “oh he’s so cute way” that other girls like to swoon and giggle. More in the “he’s fuckable” or “he’s a hell of a lot of fun” kind of way. Rhodoc comes to mind somewhat instantly, and their constant flirting, the time spent in the hot springs with drugs and some general glaring from Mortuus. Mortuus too comes to mind, though she wouldn’t talk about him. There’s something about their dark healer that keeps her from categorizing him as fun or fuckable or anything else. Though to his credit, he gives her drugs, so he falls into the category of favorite horses.

But she’s fine with girl talk that compares war wounds and imagines upcoming pairings in term of fighting and not fucking. Perhaps some more serious talk about tactics and strengths and weaknesses. Questions like how to do you fight with wings or how do you not stab yourself with that tail. Wings are a blessing and a curse in battle. She is used to them, and used to trying to keep them out of the way, so mostly she doesn’t find them cumbersome. But it is one more thing to think about. She can’t take off in a battle if an opponent won’t let her get enough distance, too afraid they’ll just shatter the delicate bones in her wings as their attack. And she likes the ability to escape to the air, to kick at heads, admittedly, when her opponent cannot follow her.

“I’m not sure she needs much care,” Weaver says with a bit of a laugh. “Her companion alone could rip me to shreds.” Whereas her own companion was largely useless in a fight, though much of that had to do with his youth. But even as he gets old, talons and beak, though sharp, are hardly comparable to Ker’s. He was clever though, at least, and perhaps he’d prove to have a handy magic.

The topic switches to being new and the Basin, and Weaver nods in agreement that she is, in fact, new. Though it doesn’t always feel like that. She found she settled in easily. “I grew up in pine forests and mountains, so it feels like home,” she says with a shrug, letting herself relax into the water more, enjoying the heat. The cuts sting, the tears sear, but they grow accustomed to the water as her muscles unwind. “I think it has potential to be pretty badass. With a little help.”

- weaver -

@Wessex

Please tag in all posts
Image by AmoretteRose

Astor
“Right? That bird’s got some talons on it.” An involuntary shudder passes through Wessex’s shoulders, as she imagines the damage the little raptor could do - probably worse than Orsino - but comparable to being sliced and diced with a horn. Orange-yellow eyes turn to Weaver’s own companion, though she doesn’t know the bird’s name. If she knew, she’d probably start howling in laughter, because there is something wonderful about keeping names simple. A companion is the one thing she envies most about others. There’s a deep curiosity about how the bond works, what it’s like having someone always there (remember, she doesn’t have full blown abandonment issues, just a weird sense of being alone and drifting in the world), and whether or not it changes someone.

She is well aware of her flaws. Self-analysis was something her mother drilled into her before she died, so much so that Wessex may be a tad too critical of herself sometimes. Like right now. She doesn’t want to just keep prying into Weaver’s life, so she’s going to chill on the questions for a moment. “Agreed. We seem to have a fighting force that could actually do something with a little bit of training. Beating each other up is fun and all, but I wouldn’t want to be on the offensive and be the recipient of friendly fire from Beloved.” Training of that measure naturally means more bruises, and probably a concerted effort on Erebos’s part to get the various pieces to fit together and act as a whole. It’s an interesting thought, though, and maybe one she’ll bring up to him soon.

All in all, she doesn’t really think Kaos is likely to start invading the Basin. As far as easy pickings go, she’d start with the Edge or the Throat before she’d ever try to make this icy, wind-buffeted bastion submit.

@Weaver

She’s never really known life without a companion. It was different here than it had been before. Before, Raven had been her mother’s babysitter, a magical creature that wasn’t entirely real. And before, Raven certainly wasn’t hers. They didn’t share emotions like they did now, and often, he’d look at her with her mother’s eyes instead. Very briefly she’d lost him when she came here, but it wasn’t long before she found the egg that he popped out of. Probably, he was not the same Raven. That seems like a rather improbable scenario. But he felt like the same Raven, just more like hers now.

Her emotions were his and his emotions were hers. Which was always interesting when they warred with one another, Raven usually annoyed and Weaver usually excited. But when they were aligned it was a whole different, beautiful sort of story. Like trying to steal the shell from the mermaid. They couldn’t speak yet, but they didn’t really have to. He knew her heart, and he knew her games, and he was clever to begin with. Maybe Raven didn’t have ridiculous talons or an insanely sharp beak, but he was a clever little shit, and she loved him for it.

The conversation keeps up with the Basin army, though shifting to them as a whole. Weaver nods. They needed to learn to work together. They’d done well with the bear, but still, Weaver had expected to get hit by one of her own companions as much as she expected to get hit by the bear. They needed training together too, and not just one of one on the battlefield. Weaver, for her part, also needed to get herself some armor and some experience, needed to try to make up for her tiny size and lack of strength. She had no choice but to keep getting beat up on the battlefield.

“What do you think Kaos wants?” she asks, changing topics a bit. But only a bit, because wasn’t he exactly what they trained for? Well that, and power. Erebos had shared his dream with her, and Weaver dreamed it too. She had already dreamed it before, but she did even more now. But like Wessex, Weaver doesn’t think they’ll be trying to stop him from invading the Basin necessarily. That seems like a small prize for Kaos. She thinks he wants more than that, but she’s curious what others think.

- weaver -

@Wessex

Please tag in all posts
Image by AmoretteRose

Astor

I AM IRON AND I FORGE MYSELF

Wessex is starting to feel a bit lightheaded from all the heat and steam – and probably because she hasn’t stopped to eat anything recently, that’s how eager she was to get back to the Springs and begin to soothe her wreck of a body. She should probably get out soon, but then Weaver brings up that whammy of a question – the one they’re all trying to figure out. She exhales loudly and takes a couple of steps back, letting the steam roll off her muscles, even in the warmth of a summer’s night. The top third of her tail is revealed, too, crimson-tipped white mirroring the flashy things on top of her head.

That seems to be the million dollar question, doesn’t it?” Her head tilts to one side as she actually, seriously considers the question. “Well… Power, I imagine. Or Revenge. Though I’m not entirely convinced he’s all that bad, because if he were, I would imagine the Gods would be like, ‘do this shit to stop him,’ because losing worshippers doesn’t seem like fun. But they’ve left us to our own devices, you know?” She shrugs, moving her shoulders up and down in a sort of helpless gesture. “Everyone lies and the winners write themselves down as the good guys, so... ” She turns her head to look out towards the Basin’s entrance, out towards the rest of the world. “If it all goes to hell, I figure I can always leave. Don’t really want to, but…” She’d lived a part of her life on the road before, earning her keep the old fashioned way. She could always do it again.

But like she said, she doesn’t want to. And that’s about as close as anyone will ever get to hear her admitting she’s really fond of the Basin and its band of oddities.

W E S S E X

image credit

@Weaver

She notes as Wessex steps out of the heat of the springs some, wondering briefly if there’s something wrong with Weaver’s ability to sit in the springs forever. She’s toasty and a little sweaty, but she always enjoys those things. There are worse things than sweating, and certainly worse things than boiling to death in a nice, pleasant bath. Like she did when Rikyn got out of the springs the last time they’d spoken, she takes a cue from her companion, stepping back a bit so part of her body can breathe in the not-so-cool summer air. It’s still drastically cooler than the hot spring. She thinks of Rhodoc, who’s she’s always hung out with in these springs, and how he’d had no inclinations to get out, like her. There was definitely a reason she liked him.

Wessex doesn’t leave at least, willing to answer the million-dollar question, as she puts it. Weaver grins at that comment, adding, “Makes it fun to answer. Imagine if someone actually gets it right.” She shuts up after that, listening to Wessex’s answer with a more serious air about her. It is a question worth asking and thinking about, because the answer to that question really is worth a million bucks. Weaver would stand with the Basin, because she wanted to protect her home, because she actually wanted to stay. That said, that doesn’t mean she’s really against Kaos.

In truth, how could she be? She’d been raised by a woman that many would call evil, born of a father that was considered a monster. Weaver knew better, knew what drove her parents to act as they did. Well, she knew what drove her mother. She’d never met her father, but she’d heard stories, and had her own opinions about why he did what he did. Her mother was, in some sense, evil. Beneath it all those, love for her home and a desire to see it become what it should have always been drove her though. The reasons were not evil, even if the actions might have been. Nothing is so simple as it might appear.

Wessex seems to be of some similar mind, though maybe her reasons behind the conclusions are different. Kaos may not be so bad. Weaver wonders if the Gods really have the power to stop him, if they have any idea what’s happening. They seem to be rather unhelpful and distant during all this, as if they can’t help. Maybe they just don’t want to though, and Wessex is on to something. Weaver nods in agreement. “Leaving is low on my to-do list,” she admits as well. She’d admitted far more to Erebos, in a different way, but all of it is as sentimental as she gets, which is to say, not very.

She gets out of the hot springs finally, reluctant but willing, figuring she’d be a good fellow corporal and not encourage someone else to boil. “Better,” she says, stretching her now slightly loosened legs out one at a time. “I think the real question then, is how do we keep it from going to hell? Though of course, that requires knowing what he’s up to. Revenge makes sense to me, but maybe he wants to rule here? A new home, for the one that was taken.”

- weaver -

@Wessex

Please tag in all posts
Image by AmoretteRose